On to Game 7

millu-big_75074

Photo by Elsa/Getty Images

What a war of attrition the playoffs are.
Latest casualties: Mason Raymond and Roberto Luongo’s confidence.
A homer series is one thing. But this is absurd:

Three games in Boston: Bruins 17 Canucks 3.

Boston scored four goals in 4:14 of the first period – fastest in league history –  to turn Game 6 into a laugher.

Tim Thomas made 36 saves.

Bruins were 46-28 on faceoffs.

Shawn Thornton led both teams with seven hits … in 10 minutes ToI.

Even the Boston PP looked great, as did the PK.

Can anyone remember a team winning the Cup while sucking this bad on the road in a final?

Canadiens, you may recall,  won twice in Boston in the first round and lost another two in OT.

I’m just sayin’ …

1. JohnBellyful says:

Exclusive to HIO members: signatures for all occasions!
    Why stay stuck in a rut when, for just $3.99 a line, you can stay original every time you post. Send us your observations and we’ll append a few customized words at the bottom that will add sparkle to your highly original comments. Here’s just a few samples of signatures we’ve provided for some of our satisfied customers:

Bruins are stinky.

If you were here I’d punch you in the face.

Veni, vidi, vici

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do

Life is too short to spend it being a Leaf fan

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

2. Psycho29 says:

So the question….who do you start in Game-7…..Luongo or Schneider?????

• Duracell3 says:

I might start Schneider…but then I might have after game 3 or/and 4…and I would have been wrong.

I would bet my refrigerator they go with Lou though.

• D Mex says:

Related question : Vigneault will (or should) almost certainly tell his team that only 1 of the GAs tonight was of decent quality.
      How does he deliver this message without wrecking whatever is left of Luongo’s confidence ? Uhh – make that 2 of the GAs …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

3. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Dammit!!! If I’m the Nucks coach I’m telling my boy’s to set the f*cking tone for game seven back home.

why would the refs blow that play dead?

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

5. Duracell3 says:

Canucks, next time you get cross checked on top of Thomas (should only have to wait 50 seconds at most), just plant your stick like a flag into his head while you fall, or really any time after while they continue to cross check you. Maybe they’ll stop, and if not, let karma run its course.

Could this be the start of something? Sedin scoring, good message for game 7 at the least.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

7. VancouverHab says:

This is a link to Nardwuar interviewing Don Cherry: Cherry says the smartest man who was ever in hockey….Sammy Pollock

Boone you should bring PJ on as a guest blogger for game 7. Maybe he can tell us if the team that scores the most goals will win the cup.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

9. LL says:

Last years’ final was so exciting to watch. I need toothpicks to keep my eyes open through this one.

10. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Kesler playing hurt and still playing like a man on fire.

PJ Stock is a douche, he is just a complete blathering idiot.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

12. Kramby says:

Vancouver really needs to start taking the body. When they do they win. MOOOSE!

13. Bill says:

I don’t know if it’s been brought up before, but how come every Boston fan in that building is so fat?

Full Breezer 4 Life

14. _Habsoloutly_ says:

wow. The JazzFest looks awesome this year. Man I miss Montreal.

15. _Habsoloutly_ says:

You know whats sad? The Bruins are up 4 goals, and the refs are like, “hey, we can call everything against them now because it doesn’t matter and it makes it look like we are fair and impartial”. The NHL has become a sad joke.

16. JohnBellyful says:

Bored. Really bored. Guess I’ll do what Boone’s doing, and write a blog about what’s happening in the Bellyful household (no, I know he’s writing about the game but if you’re looking for excitement …):

They should make keyboards with characters that have unique sounds. I could write a symphony.
    by jBellyful at 10:07 PM

Why is my computer leaking? I just changed the oil last week.
    by jBellyful at 10:05 PM

Six sneezes in a row! Just one shy of the family record!
    by jBellyful at 10:04 PM

Hitchcock was overrated. Just sayin’
    by jBellyful at 10:03 PM

Never noticed before how wrinkly my knuckles are.
    by jBellyful at 10:00 PM

Oops! Hope the neighbours didn’t hear that. No more cola for me.
    by jBellyful at 9:59 PM

Finished the peanuts. Chips running low
    by jBellyful at 9:57 PM

Sounds like a reality show thats going to make it John! More entertaining than the Canucks on the road.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

17. _Habsoloutly_ says:

CBC can pontificate all they like. What it comes down to is the Bruins are totally outworking the Nucks. for some reason the Nucks seem to work hard on home ice, and play loosey-goosey on away ice.

18. Propwash says:

I figure the Bruins’ fans haven’t quite figured out that Lou has been pulled, and they still chant his name…..

19. ooder says:

rollie melanson is at it again… shades of CP when he was being coached by melanson…
    it seems like he teaches big goalies to just stay back and let the puck hit them instead of tracking it
    ——————
    Gomez: 36 and counting!

20. JohnBellyful says:

Don’t mind me. I’m just surfing for bad jokes waiting for the game to end — officially — so I can go to bed. Found this joke, and it’s not from Vancouver:
    A blonde and a brunette are walking down the sidewalk when the brunette spots a compact on the street. She opens it and sees herself in the mirror. “Hey, this girl who lost this looks familiar.”
    The blonde grabs the compact out of her hand, sees her own reflection in the mirror, and says to the brunette: “You idiot, that’s me!”

This is one of the crappier SCF’s.

22. Keith says:

Why stay up any longer and watch this garbage? I gotta work in the morning. Good Night all!

23. Duracell3 says:

CBC talking about how “predatory” and “dirty” the entire finals have been. $100,000,000 to anyone who honestly believes that same conversation would take place if say, the Lightning had scored first in game 7.

24. JayBee says:

It is amazing how much crap the Bruins are able to get away with especially when they’re at home. I’ve seen so many two handed slashes from Luongo, Chara, Ferrence, Seidenberg not get called.

I wonder if it has to do with the diving the Canucks have been doing.

And guess what? Boston has another top 10 pick and a bunch of money to spend next offseason. THEY WILL GET BETTER!

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Once again, I don’t know if it’s because I love the beer. But I love those Stella comercials.

26. Propwash says:

Nucks look like they’re just mailing it in for the rest of the night.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yup. I noticed that about the Nucks. It’s like they give up after they’re down a few goals. The Habs fight back tooth and nail when they’re down, sometimes succesful, sometimes not. But you gotta admire that tenacity the Habs show.

27. kevin m says:

2 handed slash from Luc to Bieksa’s ankle in the slot in front of all officials…and NO Call

28. JohnBellyful says:

You know what, I’m not even going to watch the game. Just going to scroll through the comments as they come in, get a sense of what’s happening in the game, fool around with some line combinations, check around to see who we can pick up, find out where the Bruins will be staying in Vancouver so I can phone in a bomb scare at 3 a.m.
    Yeah, I got enough to keep me busy. See ya at the next intermission.

29. kevin m says:

Anyone feel like Bruin players are playing like they know thy’re immune to penalties?

30. LL says:

So anyone else think Rollie made Luongo even suckier?

31. Tony McLean says:

Luongo makes Price look like Roy.

32. Propwash says:

So the ‘Nucks have 2 periods to score 4 goals minimum….. Thomas has been Boston’s best player, so looks like it’ll be a helluva game 7

33. punkster says:

These guys couldn’t score on Prince Arthur on a Friday night with a belly full of beer and a fist full of Bordens. Pathetic.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

34. Steven says:

Boy, oh boy.

Vancouver can easily be up 6-4 right now, but they just can’t catch a break.

And Luongo did them no favours…

35. Keith says:

Thomas is totally in their heads now. Lucky to be up 3-2 (soon to be 3-3) imho.

36. mb says:

Why am I even still watching this?

37. JasonM says:

Wow, he ran right into the goalie, no attempt to stop.

38. habsfaninboston says:

This game is on Luongo. Pathetic performance.

39. JohnBellyful says:

Rats, another night ruined. Nothing else on TV. Too early to go to bed. Waxed my moustache Saturday …

Pawn to E4

40. hablifting says:

Boone: Cherry shows Thornton’s BS in the warm-up. What pro league allows such BS in its showcase series?

You must have missed Lebron and Wade mocking Dirk’s sickness the other night. Or the scrum in centre court they had in the deciding game.

What should they do? Ban him for life for something so silly? He should get a reprimand, but PLEASE don’t try to crap on the NHL for such a minor thing.

41. Laramy87 says:

Big hit, Peverly lays there and then bounces right up after the penalty was called….
    Ference in game 4 gets the stick in the shoulder flaps his head back.
    Paille gets a like tap on the arm and falls like a ton of bricks.

Ya Canucks dive, but i mean if ppl want to criticize diving, you have to do both teams.

And that hit on Raymond was literally 5 seconds too late, but its just what??? finishing a check? terrible, Raymond looks badly hurt

• hablifting says:

Both teams are guilty of crap this is for sure. That raymond “hit” was two guys tied up and sliding into the corner. Happens 100x a game. Time 101 had a bad outcome. Let’s not get nuts.

• JayBee says:

The guy was in a vulnerable position and he still hit him. I mean, I wouldn’t supsend him, but it goes to show the lack of respect among the players.

He “finished his check” just like Rome did.

• hablifting says:

Let me repeat. Players TIED up. Raymond was as much guilty of hanging on as was the Bruins player. I didn’t see anything that appeared malicious in any way there.

42. Cdnman1 says:

Yes Don, the Bruins are great and Vancuver are the goons…

Number 25 in 2011!

43. hablifting says:

Boone: Cherry all over Edler. Euro. Coincidence?

Does it matter in this case? Obviously a dangerous hit.

44. JayBee says:

Gotta love how Cherry shows clips of Marchand bigging him up but then craps on Subban.

It’ll be a blessed day when he’s no longer on the show.

45. Marc10 says:

Epic choke from Van. But they’ve done it before. Should be a great Game 7. Agree with Mullie. Time to put PK’s highlights on a loop instead of watching this garbage.

How in the world did Vancouver get this far?

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

46. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Actually Don, he’s not from Halifax. He’s from Hammonds Plains. Different part of Nova Scotia.

47. Hey guys, punkster just asked me this question. How ware ya, punkster? :)
    I know this has nothing to do with hockey, but I feel like sharing with you guys again as I once did. Thanks everyone, you guys are..are just like family in a way.

Well my parents have decided that they will give me a shot here and let me study in Toronto. My mom has decided to stay with me, but my dad will be moving back. I really want to thank my parents. Gutsy move..just for their child. I can’t thank them enough. Parents are the most beautiful people in the world. I can’t thank them enough.

I wish all the parents in this world, nothing but happiness. Thanks everyone for providing me with endless support throughout that tough time when I did think that I was going to move. I was in a serious depression mode for a few months. Thanks y’all.

PS. GO HABS GOOOO!
    Man, Lou, those comments seem embarrassing now don’t they?

48. kevin m says:

Too bad Van didn’t have access to Price & Subban. Price gets into Thomas’ head & P.K. would get into all the others; not to mention caving in the chest of that little $h!t Marchand.

49. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I agree with Don on that. Unacceptable to let Thornton do that in the pre-skate. If I was coach he’d be fighting his way out of the 1st period for that garbage.

50. JF says:

Much as I hate the Bruins, I have to say they deserve to win this series more than the Canucks do. They’ve played well in all the games and could have won any of the three they lost. I can’t remember a Stanley Cup champion playing three atrocious games in the Final. It’s becoming harder to cheer for the Canucks. Watching them in Boston, I don’t think they deserve even to be in the Final, let alone win it.

• D Mex says:

Well, it this doesn’t make you wonder about the level of competition in the western conference, it should at least make you wonder how Vancouver has managed to get this far …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

51. Harani says:

Boone, the answer to the goal differential question is yes!

The Pens beat the Wings in 7 and scored 3 fewer goals. (14 to 17 goals)

“It must be love!”

52. The Habs will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup!

53. olegpetrov says:

so, let me get this straight. rome throws a hit… .5 seconds late, injures horton and gets tossed from the game and gets a 4 game suspension. Raymond gets crunched into the boards at least 3 or 4 seconds after the puck is gone, has to leave on a stretcher with probably a severe back injury, and that is a hockey play.

Habs fan…Nuff said

54. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hey Booner, just so ya know, Habinator Smith registered today and has been here all day trolling us bashing the habs and habs fans. You might want to take a look at his posts.

• D Mex says:

Uses ” we ” when it suits him, ” you ” when it doesn’t.
      Let’s be clear that this clown does NOT speak for Habs fans.
      His handle should be J o h n s o n , stretched out, as in : d i c k

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• HabFarmer says:

Plus he’s got a serious man crush on Timo which is kinda creepy.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

55. MontrealAtheist says:

The Canucks are certainly looking pretty stupid for paying Luongo $10M a year for this lousy performance.

56. Lancer says:

not one power play for vancouver!!!!

57. Propwash says:

Foot meet mouth Lou

Luongo, when his team sees this crappy goal tending, they quit playing. End of story!

He has been a total disaster all play offs. He is very lucky to have a great team in front of him.

59. JasonM says:

Hey Roberto, are you still watching? Did you see that save?

60. Duracell3 says:

Thats your breakaway move, really?

61. LL says:

Why aren’t you trolling a Canucks site? Hab wannabe?

62. JasonM says:

Vancouver player leaving on a stretcher. I think something in his back broke with that type of hit.

63. christophurrr says:

boychuk probably could have let raymond go there

64. shootdapuck says:

Cammaleri say they reviewed hits which were legal last season but won’t be next season.

Wonder if Chara’s hit on Max was one?

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

65. JasonM says:

Hey Irish Refs, please calls things both ways.

66. Keith says:

Vancouver is F***ed-up big time.

• DEANDALLEY says:

It’s all rigged my friend …. No way they can play that bad in three straight road games …

• slapshot777 says:

Bang on Dean, The whole playoffs has been one big scam. With Boston getting all the breaks that other teams never get. The playoffs are the only games where the owners actually make any money so to milk the cow as much as they can.

Like you said no way Vancouver stinks it out in Boston three games in a row.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

67. They start Luongo in Vancouver and they are just flat out done!

68. _Habsoloutly_ says:

If I were the Nuck’s, I’d start looking over my shoulder a lot. You just know that the goon squad that is the Boston Bruins will try to take out as many players as they can for game seven. the 2nd and 3rd periods could get ugly.

69. Mullie01 says:

Anyone else re-watching PK highlights instead of this garbage? I have his game 7 goal on a loop.

70. Propwash says:

Thomas just blew Lou outta the water on that one shift.

71. Psycho29 says:

Hey Mr.Boone,
    The last time a cup winner was outscored in the series was 2009.
    Detroit outscored the Pens (who won the cup)

72. JasonM says:

Luongo, look at that goaltender. Who is doing his JOB

73. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hmmmm …Chris Higgins ? ,another Bob Gainey ???
    …damn, ANOTHER reason not to take you seriously as a hockey analyst Michael !
    …borscht-belt ‘entertainer …maybe