Punchless Canadiens drop another one

Canadiens-Budaj

The Tampa Bay Lightning brought an NHL lineup to the Bell Centre, including super sniper Steven Stamkos and promising rookie Brett Connolly.

Each had two goals in TB’s easy 4-0 win.

The Canadiens had two good lines, a fourth line of future Bulldogs and a goaltender who is going to keep Carey Price busy this season.

Dwayne Roloson, who turns 42 on Oct. 12, recorded the shutout.

Trailing 3-0, the Canadiens mustered all of two shots in the third period.

Meaningless game, but …

PRE-GAME AUDIO: P.K. Subban | Michael Blunden | Brendan Gallagher | Jacques Martin

1. Chris79 says:

Gord Miller should never say *Subby-Doo* again… EVER..!!

2. DEANDALLEY says:

Habs will hit another 500 posts this season ….

3. DEANDALLEY says:

I see the ZEBRAS will be @ thier best again this season!

4. punkster says:

Who were the D on the ice for that goal?
    Edit…PK and Yemmy…Yemmy’s side
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. DEANDALLEY says:

AK Shat the bed there ..

AK was sleeping on that clear around

7. Mavid says:

No more McGuire…absoulutly wonderful, delightful, fantastic….super duper special…:-)

second place is just the first loser

8. Danno says:

Charles Prevost-Linton

The best in the business

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. Propwash says:

RDS has the rookie audio guys on tonight.

10. PrimeTime says:

anyone missing McGuire on TSN?

11. SensFanSpezza says:

Hey, Lats scored for Minny tonight. Cue the hair pulling and teeth grinding from the usual suspects.

12. Chris79 says:

ihope Someone Levels Lecavalier Tonight….

13. SensFanSpezza says:

I guess this is a good chance to see if Budaj is as suckful as he appeared to be against Boston. I’m thinking Price had better be ready to stand on his head for at least 70 games again this year.

14. Danno says:

Will Budaj have a bounce-back game?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

15. I’m starting to lose it with this site, every couple days my commenting functionality is gone.

RDS is currently showing a special on MAB, TIMO I hope you are watching!!!!!!

17. Danno says:

RDS: All MAB All the Time

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

18. JohnnyBEast says:

I hope the kid finally gets a well deserved goal tonight

19. kempie says:

Just to put the pre-season into perspective, tonight is a pre-selected date night and I’ve promised the wife we’d share a bottle of wine & watch The Notebook :) (instead of watching the game). I think this is going to be a good game to watch but, hey, it’s only pre-season. Good thing my wife is cute.

20. The new Lightning jerseys are so… plain.

21. The Dude says:

With the way things have been going “with the Habs & my life” ,I’ll say MAB with the hat-trick…………..

22. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I hope JM gives som e PP to AK this season its well deserved, and I’m curious to see our PK forward duos this season.

23. Chris says:

Couple of thoughts…

I saw Brendan Gallagher described today as the “training camp phenom”.

1 assist in 4 pre-season games. Am I missing something? Not feeling all that phenomenal.

Buffalo IS small. So is Montreal. So why is Montreal considered by many pundits to be in a dog-fight for 8th while the Sabres are considered a threat to win the Northeast?

I think Buffalo, Montreal and Boston will be in a dog-fight for the Northeast. But why might Buffalo be getting more love?

The two teams finished tied for points last season. Since then Buffalo added 3 key pieces (Regehr, Ehrhoff and Leino) while losing one (Connolly). Montreal has added one key piece (Cole) while losing one (Hamrlik). Both teams are hoping for full seasons from key players: Derek Roy and Brad Boyes (acquired late last season) in Buffalo, Markov/Gorges/Pacioretty in Montreal.

Both teams have young stars (Myers, Ennis, Gerbe and Gragnani in Buffalo; Subban, Paccioretty, Weber and Eller in Montreal). Not much to choose from there.

The Buffalo love is probably due to having made more high-profile splashes in the FA market this summer and being perceived as having more room to improve. And the blue-line strength of the two teams is a big wild-card, so long as Markov’s status is uncertain.

Buffalo’s top-6 is Tyler Myers, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Jordan Leopold, Andrej Serkera and highly-touted prospect Marc-Andre Gragnani.

Montreal’s top-6 is P.K. Subban, Hal Gill, Jaroslav Spacek, Josh Gorges, Chris Campoli and one of Alexei Yemelin, Jeff Woywitka or Yannick Weber. Not quite as formidable, in my opinion.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

maybe it depends on the type of average you are talking about… there are 3 kinds of average I believe. ours is shruded with players like gio 5’3″ and gil 6″7 . Its hard to get an average when we have giants and smurfs maybe they are a more balenced small lol

• Everlasting1 says:

Blues prospect Evgeny Grachev has 3G 2A. Phenom lol

——————————————————————-
        When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

A Phenom stuck on a team no one wants to buy, very sad.

• Everlasting1 says:

Can’t afford them. They are selling high, and for the first time in franchise history, all 82 games will be televised.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• naweed235 says:

Gallagher has atleast 5 or 6 posts in the preseason… this kid could have easily potted 4 or 5 home…
      Also, not to knock our own team but in what world are Webber and Eller stars?

• Chris says:

If we’re counting posts now, than Chris Higgins was a phenom the like the league has never seen before, and likely never will again.

As for the young stars comment, fair comment. I use that term more in line with the idea of “top prospects that have already made the team”, to differentiate from prospects like Leblanc, Kristo or Tinordi who are still a couple of years away but who rank as better prospects than a kid like Weber.

Phenom may and is a stretch, but you have to admit he is an exciting prospect to watch. Who is the last 5th round draft choice we had create this kind of preseason excitement?

• naweed235 says:

remember 2 seasons ago when Cammi came back from injury just before the playoffs and he was playing great… getting plenty of shots and good chances arround the net but scored only once and had like 10 posts… well he finally unblocked and went on to be the leading scorer in the playoffs… Now im not saying that is for sure the case for Gallagher, but you can feel it when a player is playing great but is just getting unlucky… and I feel that is the case with Gallagher and I am sure anyone who paid close attention to him in the preseason would agree!

• So a 24 year old Gragnani is a “highly touted prospect” but Weber (22) and Yemelin (25), who’ve both put up more impressive numbers than Gragnani, are “not quite as formidable”. Ok then.

• So a 24 year old Gragnani is a “highly touted prospect” but Weber (22) and Yemelin (25), who’ve both put up more impressive numbers than Gragnani, are “not quite as formidable”. Ok bud.

• Mark C says:

Wait, you don’t like Gallagher being touted a training camp phenom, yet you call Marc-Andre Gragnani as “highly-touted prospect”? When did Gragnani become that?

24. Danno says:

Will there be Live, Game-Blog Puppets tonight?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. DEANDALLEY says:

For the cheap Habs fans in here that live in Canada. GO BUY BELL EXPRESS VU …..

26. joeybarrie says:

NHL network playing the Pre-Season game between THE Montreal Canadiens and Tampa……… Starting with the Price “meet your canadiens”……….. I am very very happy tonight.
    GO HABS GO.

27. The HonestFan says:

Yup I like White but Habs management scares me

28. punkster says:

I feel sorry for the Red Sox.

No, wait…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

29. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

hey, can you feel that ? Theres something calling in the air tonight? :P

The atmosphere is starting to heat up in our city…

30. habs72465 says:

First time poster on the site, long time reader. Looking forward to seeing the team tonight along with some of our future sprinkled in there. The line combos look promising, and this will be a far better evaluation of our potential to what we’ve iced the last week and a half.

Oh ya, and I hate the leafs, hope that makes me a friend to this board :)

Welcome 72465. Hating the leafs, you must be Ontario based. Have to admit my hate for Bruins supercedes all other. However, if Haley’s Comet ever crashes to earth and the Leafs win the Cup, perhaps I may change my opinion.

• habs72465 says:

LA based but hate the leafs because even in the states, the nhl network has showed every preseason game of Toronto’s, so that just grates at me. And I had to endure Burke up close and personal.

Jeff Johnson

Appreciate the hate! Grew up in Western Canada myself and had my whole family cheering for the Leafs. Live in Ontario now, but given how bad they are, I only remember all our battles with Boston. Hurt so bad last year to not only lose to them but watch them win the Cup.

Burke is a complete Blowhard. That is as polite as I can put it.

31. The HonestFan says:

Prediction:Ryan white scores 10 goals this year then signs with the leafs as a free agent.

32. AK_PK_Usay says:

Mr Boone, there are worse things that can happen in Montreal than a meaningless preseason loss… like a meaningful season ending injury, while driving on one of our many overpasses, or under one…

Positive thoughts people, no one ever beat cancer by telling themselves they wanted to die…

33. Trisomy 21 says:

So tonight is the draft for my hockey pool, which I have had crap luck in for the last 2 years.
    Who would your first 5 picks be? going by points only.
    I’m kind of thinking I would go
    1. Ovechkin
    2. Stamkos
    3. D Sedin
    4. H Sedin
    5. Perry – This was tough to put perry here but at least I’ve seen that the other guys have consistently hit over 1ppg, though Perry is so young…
    I know that picking top point scorer is a crap shoot, but I’m just curious what the consensus is around here

34. habsfan1001 says:

The only time Komi moves anyway is to the penalty box, maybe that is his definition of the no movement clause

• Sal says:

Right, they tried to pin point the problem, but, they couldn’t figure out that when he played with Markov he had two functions, block shots and hit guys. Markov did everything else, and that made him look better than really was. It allowed him to keep it simple, since he has so few other natural abilities. In TO he was exposed. Now they are stuck with a hit to their cap that will haunt them for years. Beautiful!!

Sal from the Hammer

35. Sal says:

POI. Listening to the local TO Sports station, yesterday, and, they were talking about the Laff defense, when it was brought up, that Komisarik, has a no movement clause, which i take to mean, that he cant be sent to the AHL, plus he has a limited no trade clause which only includes 12 teams he can be traded to. Now, here is the fun part. At 4.5 million for 3 more seasons, no team will take him, and, he is NOT considered a top six defenseman, even on the Laffs. So, he has to be included on their starting roster, and either dress for games, or sit in the stands, and they are stuck with his salary for 3 more years. Nice contract by the genius GM, Burke. Talk about fall off the face of the earth. He almost, I said almost, makes Gomez’s contract look palatable. Prove me wrong Gomer, prove me wrong…

Sal from the Hammer

36. solomio says:

I read it was gonna be Desharnais,AK & Gallagher.
    I will be very disaapointed if that doesn’t happen.
    It would be awesome

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

37. habsfan1001 says:

I expect a good game tonight. Probably Gallagher,s last in a Hab uniform untill next year unless they give him a contract

38. PrimeTime says:

How close is the band wagon parked by the cliff tonight?

39. habsoloutly says:

If anybody’s interested, they’re showing a Montreal/Calgary game from 1989 on bell expressvu channel 425 @ 8 pm eastern. Blast from the past.

40. Stuck_in_To. says:

Sorry if this is a repeat queston, but does anyone here know if NHL Center Ice blacks out Habs games in Toronto? I mean the ones not carried by CBC or TSN when the Laffs are idle. I can obviously purchase RDS here, were I a cable subscriber, but I pulled the plug on my kids and am looking for another option. Thanks.

41. Will Longlade says:

Is tonight’s game televised by someone other than RDS? :)

42. Neutral says:

that’s a pretty good lineup for tonight. maybe JM see’s something. 2nd and 3rd line not too shabby, Gallagher could be a skinner in the making. skinner is pretty nifty with carolina. our 4th line may prove something also, I have a feeling this is gonna be real interesting maybe the best game of the preseason.

43. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

should i go with Stamokos or PErry for my fantasy league?

• Jordio-oh says:

Stamkos.

It shouldn’t matter what the categories are. There isn’t a very big difference in how much they shoot or hit, surprisingly enough.

Perry gets more pims, if that’s a category. But, Stamkos is a stud.

• Habitoba says:

Tough call. Gut says Stamkos because contract talks are finished but at the same time, a huge contract could be enough to distract him… Perry may want to build on an outstanding season and could use it as a bench mark to push himself harder. That said, the old addage of trying to hard…tough call indeed. I’d flip a coin and hope it lands on its edge so I can pick both.

• Naslund26 says:

Perry had a bit of a slow start last season. Stamkos came out of the gates early and sputtered a bit a the end.

Personally I’d kinda go with Perry, but you never know.

44. Rudy says:

For those of us in the States with NHL Center Ice Package, they are actually showing this game tonight.

45. Dwayne33 says:

As everyone on this site knows,when talking about our beloved Canadiens most hockey “experts” say Montreal can’t compete in the Eastern conference because their forwards are too small. Myself, for one, always thought this was a load of crap. You don’t have to be big to compete in this league. Small speedy players with heart can win you not only games but championships.
    These so called experts who say the Habs are too small, are the same ones saying that Buffalo is a greatly improved team and will challenge the Bruins for top spot in the division. A list of some of the forwards go as follows… C Tyler Ennis 5’9″ 146LBS
    C Nathan Gerbe 5’6″ 160LBS
    C Derek Roy 5’9″ 188LBS
    C Jochen Hecht 6’1″ 191LBS
    W Brad Boyes 6’1″ 195LBS
    W Patrick Kaleta 6’0″ 195LBS
    W Jason Pominville 6’0″ 186LBS
    W Ville Leino 6’0″ 182LBS
    There “tough” guy Mike Grier 6’0″ 220LBS.
    So can anyone explain to me how this team is supposed to be a force in the East and Montreal is still too small!

• DearyLeary says:

Don’t ask questions! Montreal sucks, everyone knows that.

• Grier isn’t on the Sabres anymore, but you’re right. And a lot of those guys are very soft players.

• SeriousFan09 says:

SHHHH!!! You’re exposing ridiculous arguments, that is not going to fly around here, or in the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• el heffe says:

Simple answer. We’re the Montreal Canadiens. the most beloved and widely detested team in all of sports. The true fans know that the Habs are, in fact, too small. We see it every year with injury after injury after injury, however, as fans we also hope that our speed and transition game can keep the giants somewhat at bay. I, for one. believe that our Powerplay will be a thing of beauty this season. An unstoppable force, much like 08 through 10, essentially up until last season. Teams like Boston will not want to beat up on us little guys because they will be terrified of our powerplay and the goathorn wearing ramifications therein. Which player wants to hang hs head in shame in his own locker room after sitting in the box watching Cammy, Pleks, Cole, Marky and Subban score goal after goal on the PP. I know i wouldn’t. Maybe i’m clutching at straws here but i’m sticking to my assessment wholeheartedly. Go Habs.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I don’t know but I’ve been told…the Leafs I think are more widely detested, compounded of course by how naive and innocent their fans are…

• el heffe says:

I think if anything its a draw. But i live in Calgary so i get the anti-habs mumbojumbo much more than Leafs-suck gobbledygoo

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

• Habitoba says:

Compared with projected top nine for the Habs (numbers from The Hockey News):

LW Michael Cammalleri 175.26cm 182lbs
      RW Eric Cole 187.96cm 205lbs
      RW Brian Gionta 170.18cm 173
      C Scott Gomez 180.34cm 202lbs
      LW Max Pac 187.96cm 196lbs
      C Thomas Plekanec 180.34cm 198lbs
      LW Andrei Kostitsyn 182.88 214lbs
      C Lars Eller 185.42cm 198lbs
      C/W David Desharnais 170.18cm 177lbs

Habs average height 5’9″ average weight 193.88lbs
      Buffalo average height 5’9′ average weight 184.77lbs

I realize I have both metric and imperial numbers but I needed to convert both team’s height to metric to make an accurate average and just re-converted it. Pretty even teams… Although the Grier numbers will help Buffalo’s case. Anybody know who replaced Grier?

• avatar_58 says:

I think the real disconnect is that people think 5’9 to 5’11 is short, whereas 6’0 means you are huge. No, not even 6’1 or 6’2…..6’0 immediately means you are gigantic Chara sized.

Much like when you see $5.99 versus $6.00. People can’t seem to understand how close these numbers are.

5’9 versus 6’2? Ok there’s a difference. However Cammalleri versus Crosby’s size? It’s not that friggen different.

46. Sharks9 says:

QUESTION ABOUT RDS!

I’m with Cogeco and I live in Southern Ontario, does anyone know how I would go about ordering RDS and how much it would cost me every month?

25 before 14

So on occasion I have read some comments on this site regarding the wish for a better sports radio station. I would like to provide some ammunition to show just how bad Toronto Sports Radio the Fan 590 can be.

Today on the Hockey LunchHour show, Darren Millard and Doug Maclean were talking about Carolian Hurricanes and the number 1 line there. Alex Ponikarovsky Eric Staal and Zac Dalpa.

Darren Millard then went on to say how simlar players Erik Cole and Alex Ponikarovsky are, based on size and points. To listen to these complete idiots speak such dribble is so frustrating.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t actually understand the very concept of sports radio. I can understand watching sports. I can kindof understand listening to sports on the radio. But listening to guys talk about sports?

Frank Zappa famously said that writing about music was like dancing about architecture.

What is sports radio like? Wanking over the Ikea catalog?

• Bripro says:

That’s quite the visual you’re offering…

• Danno says:

Ikea has some great stuff:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

I am a huge sports fane HF72. I don’t listen to alot, but make a point to try listen to the DanPatrick show and Prime Time Sports on Fan590 depending on the guests if possible, to me entertaining sports radio.

But there are things you go watch and talk about on here I have no interest in. Can’t say I would accuse you of wanking over an Ikea catalog, but perhaps I am not as interested as you in condemning someone else’s interests.

At least give it some credit and call it the Lingerie section of the Sears Catalog.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Famous letter to the New England Journal of Medicine. A doctor writes that he was out jogging one winter morning in his hometown in Alaska. When he returned home he realized that he had frozen the extremity of his male member. He remembered an article in this week’s New England Journal on how to prevent frostbite, so he pulled out the journal and started reading the article in question. One of the tips was to warm the affected body part with the hand.

His wife came home to find him on the couch with his shorts down, reading the New England Journal of Medicine, while grabbing his you-know what.

• Jordio-oh says:

I live and work in Toronto and I frequent the Fan590 during my lunch hour. I’m able to enjoy the Hockey Central portion only because I’ve come to terms with what each of the personalities are. Millard is the token mimbo. His whole purpose as the host is to the provide the direction to show and to periodically play devil’s advocate and to bait Kypreos. He offers little in the way of meaningful statistical analysis. Kypreos is the old-time fighter. The guy who always blames the victim in head-hit incidents and constantly operates under the paradigm of the low-level goon. Maclean is the former hockey executive who would love nothing more than another crack at a job but is too proud to admit it. He’d much rather use the hour of air time discussing his love of rick nash and hatred for ken hitchcock.

I tune in as entertainment and not for thoughtful hockey broadcasting. Once I stopped taking them serious, I started to enjoy them more.

Of course, the entire program is thinly veiled in disgust of everything Montreal. Each of them is very reluctant to even discuss Montreal, let alone say anything positive. But it’s Toronto sports radio, so reminding oneself of that notion alone makes some of their foolish banter easier to digest.

• Sal says:

Your description of Fan590, Hockey Central is right on. I too have come to accept it for what it is…a forum for the under educated Laff fan, with side lights of interesting pieces that can be entertaining. They know they have to spend several times an hour kissing Laff fan butts, or no one in the TO listening area will even tune in.

Sal from the Hammer

• Anything Doug MacLean is involved in I can’t take seriously. Can’t imagine listening to his slurred speech as he spit talks on radio.

48. samTHEman says:

Was at practice today and Eller was wearing a regular forward (red) jersey like all the others. No blue jersey indicating NO-CONTACT. This may mean he’s scheduled for a return October 6 :) Which means no room for Gallagher … but DD is miles ahead on the depth chart.

———————————————————-
    It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

49. adam76 says:

lots of tickets left for tonight.

@teamadam76

50. Le Jadester says:

My Favourite 3rd line trio would be:

AK – Eller – Gallagher

would love to see that for at least 10 games of the regular season ?

Habs, OLE !

Habs, OLE !

51. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

RDS – RIS – RDS 2
    TSN- TSN2
    RogersE,O,W,P- Rogers one
    TVA sports
    The score

Were spoiled here arnt we?

52. Sportfan says:

so if you had to pick Yemelin, Diaz or Weber who would you pick and why haha???

53. RS says:

Lots of attention for Gallagher, but I’ve hardly heard anything about Bournival, also a junior age player getting an extended stay at camp.

It would be great if both these guys could contribute to the team within the next 2-4 years.

• Chrisadiens says:

I think he had an injury during camp and didn’t practice much, if at all.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO

• SeriousFan09 says:

Bournival missed most of the camp due to injury but if he was in from the beginning he would have been a quick fan favourite in my opinion. Kid has a great drive and clutch scoring ability in junior, we’ll see more of him tonight.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

Bournival was injured early in camp and only got to play the last pre-season game. He’s still there because the organization hasn’t got a good look at him yet, and we’re not talking about him as much because we haven’t had a good look at him either.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

54. Sportfan says:

i think what this team is going to do is sign Gallagher to that 9 game contract and see how he does then send him either back out west or to Hamilton unless this whole time they wanted bournival but it will be very interesting to see what happens but i agree we should force our hand and let Gallagher develop right

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

yeah, be great if we do have him for those 9 games. I just hope JM dosnt bench him quickly, but rather gives him minutes a chance to develop. if we could get that 20 goal scoreing winger to fill out 3 offensive lines. I think our depth with win us more games then most.

• Bripro says:

He can’t go to Hamilton. He’ll go back to Vancouver if anything.

55. C_exacte says:

I wonder who Vinny’s gonna slash tonight?

56. AK_PK_Usay says:

Line up looks good, basically these are the habs, give or take a few, Markov and Eller AND White, being the only notable absentees. I like White a lot, he makes a difference on that 4th line.

We know Eller will be back soon enough, basically before xmas, and markov in january, it will be like getting an AllStar at the tradedeadline except for free. (now isnt that something worth wishing for at xmas)

I DONT like DD and gionta on the same line but if they can show AK that sometimes the boring play produces thats a plus.

57. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I was at the Lightning practise yesterday in St-Jovite. The arena was packed with school kids which was nice to see, considering it’s not every day these kids get to see NHL calibre players live. They did work on their PP units with Stamkos, Vinny and Marty on the first line.
    At the end, they did a fun style shooout contest with the whites beating the Blues, on 6 goals by Nate Thompson. The Blues had to do sits ups for losing. Boucher is one intense looking mean SOB I wouldn’t want to mess with, there sure is no Country Club atmosphere in Tampa.
    At the end of practise, the players all held up their sticks to the fans to show their appreciation and handed out pucks to the kids. Marty got the loudest cheers, he looks like a player/coach out on the ice.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Thanks for those impressions, very nice post :D Classy team.

I said it ever since Boucher was in Hamilton, he is a gem… he gets that an NHL coach now means a lifecoach, you are not the leader of these players, you are their rock, a person they can trust, a person that is there to HELP them be at their best.

• savethepuck says:

And the hard on for Boucher is back on here again. It’s the reason I stopped coming on here last spring when the Lightening were playing the Bruins. It was getting really sickening

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

58. kempie says:

So, tonight is the return of Tom Pyatt. Apparently he’s centering TB’s 4th line tonight. I’m calling for a breakaway in the 1st period where he fires it high & wide off the glass.

59. Stev.R says:

Nice to see some offense in the lineup tonight

60. Chrisadiens says:

Im excited to see Gallagher tonight. The fact that Robert has been high on this kid raises my hopes even more. Do we really think he has a shot to make the team? Rushing young talent is not always a good idea, but if he can play, why not?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Because he deserves to play 1st line minutes to improve. I honestly don’t see him being better than who’s on our 3rd line right now. and 4th line is lucky to play 10 minutes/game.

I will leave you with what Max Pacioretty had to say on the subject last year:
      “I just don’t see the need, for my development, to play the bottom two lines in the NHL because ultimately I feel I’m going be a top six forward,” he said. “That’s what I want to be. I’ve experienced the bottom two lines in Montreal and it’s obviously not what’s going to develop me into the player I want to be.”

61. Marvin says:

Sorry Mike, but “phenom” – Brendan Gallagher? What exactly has he done to be annointed with such high praise? Yes he’s worked hard and skated hard, but please don’t put him on a pedestal yet.

62. Nice! players are healed up. The lineup looks pretty awesome to me. The D may surprise. Go Habs Go!

63. Sharks9 says:

First Habs game on TSN tonight! Since I don’t have RDS this will be the first time I see them this year and I’m so happy they’ll be putting a decent lineup on the ice.

25 before 14

64. HABZ24 says:

oh yippy its RED LIGHT BOOOOOOODYE, another 7 goal loss commin up, oh ya stay positive, uh i mean 8-7 win !!

GO HABS GO

65. HFX-HabFan says:

Funny how far more people in New England (and North America for that matter) are concerned with the September meltdown of the Red Sox than they were for the Bruins’ winning the Cup. Puts it into perspective how far down the totem pole the Bruins are in Boston sports fans’ hearts.

The Bruins were probably the least-recognized and appreciated Cup winner since the Ducks in ’07.

66. Bripro says:

I hope Budaj traded in his sieve for real hockey equipment.

67. christophurrr says:

Mike, how are you holding up after last night?

I was glad to see you made it through the night to post today.

what a spectacular night of baseball that was.

68. Gerry H says:

Well, tonight we finally get an indication of what kind of team the Habs have put together. That’s a pretty damn good top nine up front. Without Markov, the D is looking a little weak, but if Price can cover for that weakness, they should put on a decent show.

I think Goals For will be the most important stat tonight.

Edit: BTW, I wouldn’t put too much on the absence of Spacek. What I see is JM/PG trying to get a last look at their one remaining choice on the back end: Diaz or Yemelin as #6. To do that, someone has to sit and Spacek was the lucky winner.

69. jrshabs1 says:

I hope Gallagher turns out to be a great pro but to label him a phenom is a stretch. Have the English scribes become as desperate as thier Franco cousins? What about #31 or #76? These are two great players. I can name 3 legit NHL rookie phenoms. #99 #66 #87. Will Gallagher even make the big team this year?

Go Habs Go!!

70. DearyLeary says:

Just watched TSN’s ‘quiz’ and Aaron Ward, of all people, said that Winnipeg wasn’t the best sports city in Canada… it was, wait for it, Montreal.

Made it a little harder to hate the guy. He’s been downgraded to dislike.

• Big Ted says:

Well to be considered the top sports city in Canada, I think you have to have an NHL and CFL team. That leaves only Mtl, Tor, Wpg, Cal, Edm, and Van. Toronto also has MLB and NBA, but their NHL, CFL, and NBA teams have all been basement-feeders for most of the past 5 years and the Jays only had an average year. Edmonton’s NHL team has been an under-funded joke for a while now too. And Winnipeg, while excited about their NHL team right now, haven’t even started playing yet and already lost their team once. So to me, it comes down to Mtl, Van, and Cal, and of the 3 I think we in Montreal are probably the most passionate about our teams and have a pretty good attendance record in both the NHL and CFL to go along with that.

71. Propwash says:

Gallagher will most likely be in until Eller comes back. Makes sense to me anyway.

Phenom? Really? Boy, have the standards ever gotten low.

• arcosenate says:

He’s hit three posts, come on!

• DearyLeary says:

He’s been playing well, but yeah, phenom’s a stretch.

• Tony McLean says:

That’s what you say. He’s shown poise, strength on the puck, improved every game and had offensive chances every shift. Any luck and he’d have at least 3-4 goals. He does not look like a 19 year or a small player and every part of his game is excellent. He’s a phenom – the way PK was. “Low standards” are those which keep the likes of Moen on the team. He’s a cadaver that makes Turner Stevenson look like Mike Bossy.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• savethepuck says:

It may be referring to him coming out of nowhere. He was a 5th round pick 15 1/2 months ago.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

73. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Gallagher played well with Cammalleri, and Cole best with Gomez, I hope I see those line combinations tonight.

74. davelecave says:

2 weeks is a long time to not hear people chanting CAREY! CAREY! and PK! PK!

But I guess we’ve lasted all summer, so what’s another couple of weeks.

75. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

There is a rule where if you sign a draft pick before a certain age, I believe, then he can become an ufa quite a bit sooner, as is the case with hall and eberle. However, if the franchise devolps him through their farm system they can potenitally keep him longer before he is a UFA. again like edmonton want to do with nugent-hopkins.

AK lazily shot it around the boards giving Yemelin no chance to handle it.

77. avatar_58 says:

He’s gone, remember?

78. Jim Edson says:

Connecticut!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

Shiloh, I love AK, but he is the one who rattled the puck around, WTF, you want to make believe he didn’t play it?

80. DEANDALLEY says:

They have hit at least 10 posts so far in the preseason – which don’t mean anything by the way …

81. avatar_58 says:

Actually that goal is on Gill for missing his man

82. punkster says:

It was DD.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

83. VancouverHab says:

That’s Deharnais, not Diaz.

84. GenerationYHabs says:

So both could play mediocre again while trying to compete for a #1 spot?

85. SeriousFan09 says:

OTT is already well on their way to get him, that and PHX with their goaltending situation that I wouldn’t deploy on the Hamilton Bulldogs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

Okay well obviously he forgot to pay the bill a time or two.

87. Mr. Biter says:

Not to many coaches get fired before the regular season starts, however PG has done some good things but has let go or re-sighed many wrong players and why is he afraid of signing some muscle..

Mr. Biter

88. Mark C says:

Ah Guy Boucher, a real coach, who coached his team to a 1-0 loss in their most important game of the year.

89. snowdonsteve says:

against a much better team in the conferance finals… be honest here

Go HABS Go

90. Mark C says:

The same as Guy the great, no?

91. LA Loyalist says:

Count has been at this for many years. Boucher just started. That’s a bs comparison. Sorry.

92. Mark C says:

To be honest, Martin took that same team to OT in game 7.

93. snowdonsteve says:

in quater finals….

Go HABS Go

94. Mark C says:

Which is where Martin ended up the year before. Does it even matter, it’s all about winning the Cup, right. Something both those guys didn’t do. Some fat faced guy whose been blamed for playing for 1-1 games for years won the Cup.

95. nunacanadien says:

Didn’t that happen last year? Didn’t a coach and GM get fired early in the season? Could happen, but we don’t hear people complaining. Who knows, the Molsons at some point will wonder, unless they are only worried about filling seats. JM and PG will give them what they want. The Habs this year have to fight with Winnipeg for last spot though, so the eastern conference has changed a bit.