Kings of the road

A sweep of the south.

How good is Carey Price?

1. ZepFan2 says:

lmao

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

2. Castor says:

I was thinking the same thing! I think Halpern can do what Pouliot does on the 4th line and Poulioy would fit better with Cammy and Pleks

3. 100HABS says:

LOL – thanks for that. Although now I feel guilty laughing. That must have hurt…

4. Danno says:

If Andrei = Kurly Gomez = Shemp?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. 100HABS says:

To all those saying “win this game, lose that game, to  meet this team for the playoffs” please cool your jets. There are 17 games left to play and we’re 6 points from Boston. We can still take the 1st in the division. Plus all the other teams are going to move around a lot – it is WAY too early to imagine who’s playing who.

Last year, our opponent was decided on the last day of regular season. I foresee a similar end to this season.

So There.

6. Rugger says:

The almighty flyers have now lost 3 in a row.

7. kempie says:

Including to the Leaves. Every team goes through rough patches – every team. The key is to get it over with before March/April. Winning in the playoffs has a lot to do with getting hot at the right time.

8. Mr. Habs says:

Mara comes back here &  he is an healhty scratch. WTF? Weber should be sent back down, he doesn’t belong with the big boys.

9. Shiloh says:

Don’t agree. Weber has been here all year, playing a lot and improving. He may be one of our PP pointmen of the future. He will be inexpensive for the next few years and could round into a Streit-like defenceman.

10. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Boone, I have an idea. As Habs Inside/Out is a spin-off of the Gazette, it should have its own Gomez Inside/Out spin-off to siphon off all the monotonous garbage. Surely it would be a hit, but may present a danger to the the continued success of this site. Still, I think it should be investigated…

11. Propwash says:

Pic test.

Wewt! it works!

12. obrien says:

Pouliot has all the tools.  But he is missing some hockey sense.  He is not a bona fide Top-6.  He looks like one even less frequently then AndreiK.  Yet, doesn’t get bashed on…

13. jimhasbeen says:

agreed.  i’m still hoping for the presidents trophy!

14. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Well in his defense, I wouldn’t expect him to be bashed. He was traded for in exchange for junk. And makes less money. i do think he has become fairly consistent though. Good chance next year he will be a 20 goal, 20 assist guy, good forechecking and backchecking, reasonable physical presence, fall down a lot, with an annual beatdown of an opposing player.

15. Mr. Habs says:

This team needs D with size …

16. obrien says:

Gomez bashing is so Halak/Price circa 2010.

Almost all stop believing in Price in 2010.

Gomez doesn’t have the upside, but he can be very useful.  This year, we need him.  We need to get behind him, not boo him.  This year, there is not a bona fine 2nd line center other then him.  Don’t make me laugh about DD and Eller:  I actually think Eller will be better then Plek in 2-3 years.  But this year, he is not ready.  Nor is DD.

The offseason it will be another story.  But in the meantime, get ahold of yourselves.  Gomez is here to stay.

17. obrien says:

Weber belongs in the NHL, no doubt about it.  but getting 2 Right handed D via trades + Subban, he is the 4th RD in the depth charts.

As long as he doesn’t lose confidence playing on the Left side, he can finish the season there.  With a rotation with Mara/Picard as the 7th-8th D.

But comes playoff times, with Spacek back, he is the man out.

Gill-Subbam

Harmlik-Wiz

Spacek-Sopel

That 3rd line is a little slow, but they should do fine in the playoffs.

18. obrien says:

It’s hard to see where he fits in next year.  But I do agree on something about him that I liked this year: his fights; and that one punch on Kreji!

Still, takes too many mental mistakes in a game for my taste.  And the falling down part is so surprising for a player of his caliber.

I don’t think there is much more upside in him then what we saw.  And I would take AndreiK before him in a heartbeat.

19. EricInStL says:

Right now who would be the odds on favorites for the Cup ?

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject”–Winston Churchill

20. jimhasbeen says:

i grant you that, he is missing some sense.

however, given a week of playing time, what line would produce more points?

pleks/cammy/pouliot?  (the PCP line)

or

pleks/cammy/halpern? (the chronological line)

halpern needs to be on the 3rd or 4th, checking and winning faceoffs, what he’s done and been successful at his whole career.

i just don’t get why jacques thinks he can transform career checkers into 1st line scoring threats, just by switching lines.  when has it ever worked?

21. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I am with you. My post comes out of boredom and annoyance with the constant bashing.

I like both Desharnais and Eller alot, but as you were alluding to, look at this way…

Game 7 of a playoff series, late in a close game… who do you want on the ice? Gomez or one of those two? Anyone who says Eller or Desharnais is a liar or just foolish.

22. avatar_58 says:

I disagree, Weber is the future here not Mara. I like Mara and he’s been good physically since he came back, but Weber *should* be the one playing more games. Sopel, Mara and Picard are switchable.

23. obrien says:

A lot of foolish people around here.

24. obrien says:

Weber doesn’t play soft.  He plays bigger then his size.

I have no issue with his size.

Gomez is one of the last legitimate topics for the incessant whining crowd to latch onto. Since Price has trumped Halak the Gomez topic is the last bastion with which people can take out their own personal petty frustrations on.

It’s painfully obvious that he’s having a bad season. But I’ve only witnessed a few games where he was patently awful. It doesn’t matter because people attach unrealistic and unattainable expectations on Gomez largely due to his cap hit.

It’s also a means by which people can push their anti-JM and BG agenda.

Mind you had the Habs drafted better or had become sellers in the past and acquired talent that way all this would be moot. 🙂

26. punkster says:

And therein lies the marvellous aspect of the NHL. Drop any or all of those 3 teams from the serious contender list and who takes their place? Think last year Caps, Pens, etc in the east…

***Subbang!!!***

27. EricInStL says:

I still have doubts on Vancouver. SJ is very impressive but we all know their history.

I want to lay some $$ down, at 35 to 1 Calgary, seems interesting.

28. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Maybe he has an inner ear problem…

Last year he had another good one where he gave larger and stronger Redden a good run for his money. I was impressed.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

PHI, despite their recent trouble. Serious Contenders, Red Wings and Canucks. After that, anyone’s game if those three drop.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

30. Wayne says:

The fear is not unfounded. Simple answer; we’ve had their number for eons. I look at it this way, New Jersey’s had our number for years and when I watch a NJ/Hab game, I always think they’ll burn us – some way. somehow. The difference is, Boston’s worries are based on a longer history. Karma’s a bitch.

31. kevin m says:

I would like to see Carey Price win the Hart Trophy.

If he continues to play the way he has for the remainder of the season he makes a strong case.

32. matraque says:

2$ MAB scores if he plays tonight.

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

33. jbroderi says:

given how certain teams like phlly and vancouver are struggling a little, i think detroit would be the odds on favorite.

We always look at the full season in order to judge who will win but philly can’t just start playing better come play-off time.  I think looking from christmas on, and forgetting about the first half, is more accurate.  i wouldn’t want to play NJ fr sure if they get in, which they won’t.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

34. Mr. Habs says:

It’s time for Pleks to score some goals!

35. The Teacher says:

He won’t get it now, but he will get it in spades in the future. He is a definite superstar in the making.

36. twilighthours says:

I actually love it that PK doesn’t get the love he deserves.  Same as Plex.  These guys are our little secret, and the rest of the hockey world be damned.  If people want to underrate PK, that’s cool, we know the truth: he’s a superstar in the making.

37. HUDSONHAB says:

Here’s a line for you. “The Totally Frustrating, Why The H*** Did You Do That?, Oh My Why Can’t he do that More Often Line”….. Pouliot – Gomez – AK46 …..

….Hab4life….

38. HUDSONHAB says:

How about San Jose? Chicago? and the unthinkable…Bruins???

….Hab4life….

I would say the odds are 90% that it’s one of the following: Vancouver, Philadelphia, Detroit, Boston or San Jose

If not one of those teams than the odds favour: Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington, Chicago, Montreal or Calgary.

Since 1994 only two teams that were not in the top 5 over-all won the Cup and those two teams were in the top 10.

If the Habs finish in the top 10 they have an outside chance, but the top 5 is the sweet spot.

Nevertheless, if the Habs do finish in the top 10 then PG will have stuck to his word about how intends to make the Habs a contender.

40. Ayan_SB says:

Did I say that?

But saying “it’s time for Pleks to score” gives the false notion that he’s not scoring, when in fact he’s got 2 goals in his last 4 games.

41. Mr. Habs says:

IF this. IF that. We can say WHAT IF’S untill the cows come home. The Habs need two big tuff D-Men & a couple Big tuff forwards who can park their arses in front of the net & won’t get bounced off the puck in the corners.

The Broons & Goons know they only have to rough it up to throw Montreal off their game.

42. Former Jets Fan says:

I’m hoping he doesn’t win any hardware until he’s locked up long-term in 2013.

43. solomio says:

The team HAS D men with size.

44. solomio says:

Shiloh. I submit that Streit is an elite level defencemen? Am I wrong in that assessment?

Weber will never be Streit like.

45. punkster says:

First and foremost HH, there will always be a Designated Scapegoat (DS ™) on the Habs for the whiners to whine about. Just as with the Price whines nce the Gomez whines fade a new target will presnt himself. And they’ll always have JM, PG and BG.

Second, better drafting some years ago would have been helpful but the past is the past. The last few years haven’t been so bad and with the perennial middle picks we seem to have quite done alright.

Finally your point about being sellers…I’m sure there are deals that could have been made but at the time were they the right trades/purchases for the team? We just don’t know because we have little idea who or what was on the table (both in trades and in dollar discussions). Lots of guesses and “expert” opinion.

***Subbang!!!***

46. solomio says:

You can count me as one of those then, What do you expect that Gomez would do?
    Win a face off? Not likely. Score a goal ? Not Likely. Make a big hit? Not likely. Superb D zone coverage? Not likely. Tell me exactly what you think he would bring to that situation?

47. Mr. Habs says:

He scores 20 goals so now he don’t need to score anymore?

48. solomio says:

Pouliot loves playing on the same line with Wee DD.I think White complimented them.
    Habs lines are fine. Leave them as they are for as long as possible.

49. Ayan_SB says:

God, I hope not. When your goalie wins a Hart trophy, it usually means the rest of the team either aren’t talented enough or they simply don’t show up on most nights. I don’t even think a goalie’s won the Hart since Theo in 2002, and that year Yannick Perrault led the team with 56 points. Yiiiiikes.

I’d rather see Price get the Conn Smythe ;).

50. punkster says:

He doesn’t have the flowing locks. He’s a Breeze Wannabe.

***Subbang!!!***

Hey. I am only pushing my agenda. I still say the way to go is to stock up on picks.

Do you know what the real value of making the ECFs last season was? I’ll tell you. The Habs managed to trade an impeding arbitration eligible RFA for two prospects, one that is proving himself to be a great acquisition. Had the Habs not made the play-offs Halak would’ve been worth far, far less.

The Halak trade IMO was the type of move the Habs need to continue making to be successful in this league.

52. Sheldon says:

Better watch out tonight. MAB has threatened to go “Full Breezer” on the Habs!

53. Mr. Habs says:

You have the 1st two sentences correct

I am looking forward to reading Bertrand Raymond’s article tomorrow bemoaning how the Habs could’ve had MAB instead of WIZ.

55. obrien says:

Are you really thinking that for the end of the season and playoffs, we might has well put Gomez in the minors or play 10 minutes a game?

I like the current set up of having 4 balanced lines.  I wish the Pleks line would have someone better on it instead of Halpern, but other then that, I am quite confortable with these lines.  Gomez, MaxPac and Gionta are looking good.  Thanks to MaxPac.  Not to Gomez.  Not to Gionta.  Shall we send Gionta in the minors too?

How many assists has Gionta got since the allstar?  One or two?

56. punkster says:

Another real value is the experience particularly for those who have never been there but also for the team as a whole.

***Subbang!!!***

57. kevin m says:

Bertrand Raymond……..WTF????????

58. Keith says:

So Buffalo wins. That won’t help the laffs. Long live the curse!

59. Ayan_SB says:

My bad, you’re right, I forgot he only got an assist against T.O.

60. HUDSONHAB says:

The MAB show. You kill me man. ha ha ha  ha  ha

….Hab4life….

I will be wearing my vintage MAB jersey tonight.

62. obrien says:

Lets be serious here.  Picard and Mara (and Gill on 5vs5) are not good Ds.  You don’t want them against speedy and talented players.  There is a huge gap between them and Weber and Spacek.  Legitimate starters vs spare parts trying to make a living.  Its like Bergie thinking the Wiz and Bergeron are in the same class…

Yes, Mara can hit and won’t be intimidated.  Yes Picard doesn’t look completely out of place.  But I don’t want them taking regular shifts.

Spacek, I have always respected and can be a good defenseman.  Even since he got back to his natural left side, you have to agree that he has looked really good.  I have no problem with Spacek/Weber for next year and Spacek/Sopel for the playoffs.  They will be shutdown.

63. Mr. Habs says:

Pleks has got 1 goal & 3 assits in his last 9 games

Everybody sit back and watch the MAB show tonight. I don’t wnat to be the Habs tonight. MAB is back and he is back with the vengence.

65. HabFab says:

And you have to love those Kung Fu “ish” tattoos on the fore arms.

66. HUDSONHAB says:

He would need 4 or 5 more SO’s just to get a sniff at the Vezina and then they might give him a look for the Hart.

….Hab4life….

67. kevin m says:

MAB……WTF?????

68. Ayan_SB says:

Care to share which of my points were incorrect?

69. Mr. Habs says:

I don’t want to argue with you or anyone else 🙂 We all have different opinions. WE have the players to win a Stanley Cup BUT they are not consistant.

70. ths says:

what time zit start ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

71. Mr. Habs says:

None were incorrect.

72. Mr. Habs says:

LOL   🙂

73. Bill says:

If it weren’t for the Breezer I’d probably spend my life going Full MAB. But as it is, I accept no substitute! There is only one way to life life!

Full Breezer 4 Life

74. Sheldon says:

He’s just a garden gnome on skates!