Just in time for the finals

As I was saying, just before the dastardly Gary Bettman/Paul Devorski/Michael Leighton conspiracy crashed Habs Inside/Out for longer than Ryan O’Byrne’s ToI in the playoffs …

It’s great to be back.

Did I miss anything?

Pat Hickey has a splendid analysis of all the tough decisions Pierre Gauthier faces in the off-season, eg. Price or Halak, Tomas Plekanec, the Brothers K, a humane way to euthanize MAB.

It will be a lively summer, and – technology permitting – HIO will keep fans up on what’s goin’ down.

And because I love hockey and can’t face the thought of resuming my day job, there will live game blogging of the Stanley Cup final, beginning tomorrow night.

It should be a dandy: Jonathan Toews vs. Mike Richards, Chris Pronger vs. Dustin Byfuglien, all those nice Chicagoans vs. the creepozoids in Philly.

I want the Blackhawks to win. But factoring in experience, grit and the Hossa Curse, the prediction is:

Flyers in seven

•  •  •

How much is Jaro worth?

La Presse has a story that suggests $4.4 million.

*  *  *

Last edition of L’attaque à 5 tonight.

I won’t miss Jean Perron.

I will miss Jean Pagé, Marc de Foy, Tony Marinaro and – most of all – the incomparably foxy Evelyne Audet.

1. ooder says:

size i agree… heart deffinately was not lacking this year

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

2. Tis Himself says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m sure that like me you have played on teams where for whatever reason a C was planted on a guy’s shoulder, but he wasn’t the leader of the team. Given the money these guys are paid, why does anyone believe that a mere piece of fabric on your jersey carries any weight? The real C in a room is a guy who can shoot you “the look” like a Beliveau, DiMaggio or Gehrig and you know what is expected of you.

3. V. says:

yes, the habs need a NELSON cause it would be nice to see my own last name on the back of a jersey :P

although there is a ref or linesman named Thor Nelson, haha.

4. showey47 says:

agreed,a formal captain is more for the fans and media then it is for the players. Everybody in the room knows who the leaders are. I’d be just as happy to just stick with 3 alternate captains. It was also nice to go through one season without a french media driven “why doesn’t our captain speak french” story.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

If we are, it’s the same dealer that the Stars GM used when signing Lehtonen, thank you very much you dumbass I would like to add, 3.9 for a guy who’s got injury issues on the level of Dipietro…

Oh to go back in time and keep Lowe, Milbury, Sather (NYR version), Sutter and Lawton from getting their gigs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. Xtrahabsfan says:

You said that not me ….I said the Habs need SIZE and Heart!

7. Tis Himself says:

I don’t think having or not having a formal captain means a thing as far as the team’s performance is concerned. The New York Yankees did not name a captain for 35 years after the death of Lou Gehrig and it did not stop them from winning championships!

8. joeybarrie says:

Were gonna get Halak to pass the puck straight to Cammy to score. We don’t need Pleks…..  In fact, I think we should get Halak to play in goal, and he can come out on PP and score a few goals…

4.4 million for a 22 year old goaltender who has played 122 NHL games in 4 seasons. Cmon, are we on drugs?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

9. SeriousFan09 says:

He was there for a couple of months and Kovalchuk was by no means a NJ Devil-style of player, playoff rentals with the high-profile players have rarely paid off in the last few years and Kovalchuk was NJ making a desperation play hoping to get farther than round 1 in the playoffs for the first time since the lockout.

They’re still short what made them great, top blueliners.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. punkster says:

I understand and it may be a tough decision to make if management decides or is forced to do so. However we do have depth in Hamilton for this position and if the result is the ability to pick up a strong forward or D-man then it would be a good decision. Not saying we can get those in a trade but the ability to have additional CAP to do so.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

11. punkster says:

Andrew…check your email.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

12. andrewberkshire says:

New Jersey, despite a bevy of playoff failures recently, IS a very good team.

13. MikeL says:

You’re ready to say that after 2 playoffs series’? Sorry, but I’m willing to give a 50 goal scorer in his prime the benefit of the doubt.

14. Slovak says:

I am sure you know how I mean it – wait another year for further changes and start with the core that works…

15. Slovak says:

Number 3 is why Montreal will never win the CUP…:)

16. ooder says:

lol Pleks, Hammer, Spacek and METRO don’t have heart????

oook

——————

17. Bouleau noir says:

Maybe in your mind its possible to go next season with the same team as we had this year but CAP wise its not.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t see him in Montreal because of the roster upheavel required to sign him, nor do I believe he wants to play in a giant market like Montreal, nor do I suspect he’d gel with JM. As for players and their playoff ability, I generally wait until they’ve had the opportunity to really do something with a real team. I think his signing with the Kings will define him on what kind of NHL career he’ll have from this point onwads.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. Slovak says:

Why not wait for another year to make further changes? Or you want to make changes – bring forwards – and hope goaltending will somehow solve itself – or hope Price will perform?

I would start with what works…

20. Bouleau noir says:

No Pleks ? where will our scoring come from ? ….. we finished low 25th lique wide in scoring last season despite him registering 70 points for the team…… we need to improve our scoring next season if we want to see another post season at all.

21. punkster says:

Good review Steve.

1. Agree, no choice, we must sign him.

2. Move them sooner rather than later. Better to have mediocre AHLers working hard to crack the lineup than floaters with that dreaded word “potential”.

3. Trade one of them (I really don’t care which one) for a solid, experienced and large  forward or D.

4. Injuries and age. Maybe the time to trade is next season.

5. Hamrlik must stay at least until Markov is healthy and proven again. You can’t replace his experience.

6. I don’t care who is given the “C” as long as the players do the selecting. I trust their decision beyond anyone else.

7. No idea though this Nelson kid looks interesting.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

22. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t have it in for him, in the regular season I think he’s one of the best players in the world. However when I watch him play in the playoffs, he gets frustrated instantly and tries to do everything himself. He does the same thing for Russia, and if not for his 2 goal game in Quebec City a couple years ago in the WHC he would be considered a massive choker in all international tournaments as well. The guy isn’t a team player, and he’s exactly the kind of player that destroys a team like the one we saw beat the Caps and Pens.

23. andrewberkshire says:

I agree, in fact that was my first though after watching his interview after the Habs were eliminated. I don’t think Halak wants to stay here at all.

24. Keith says:

Glad your back Mr. Boone, and looking forward to the game tomorrow. I’ll take Chicago in 6 games.

25. Slovak says:

Hossa is prepared to shoot Flyers goalie if needed :)

26. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s had two abridged playoff experiences on two teams that have been defined by a lack of ability to make the playoffs or do anything in them since the lockout, plus one bad Olympics (which the whole Russian team had btw). Marleau’s not carried it on a stacked Candian Olympic roster or on the Sharks except for this season since he was drafted. Kovalchuk is not a Thornton until he signs with a proper team.

Not sure why you have it in for Kovy 2 but leave the guy alone until he gets onto a proper team for the playoffs at least.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. Slovak says:

Halak is a long term quality – his performance is going up slowly but constantly – he is no hot hand wonder – Olympics and playoffs were just first outcomes of that process.

And NO I would not let him go even if it means to wait for another year to make further changes – I would go for the next season with the same team.

HALAK WILL SIGN IT FOR 3 MIL. media speculations are far from reality. Jaro knows he must prove himself…

28. Xtrahabsfan says:

To all those Fans that don’t think Halak is worth $4.4 mil…..YOUR BRAINS ARE MUSH! lol…..It’s such an unreal thing to say this about  Halak that IT’S NOT WORTHY OF A RE-TORT!    No ,I think the K bro’s, Plecs,Price,Hammer ,Spacek and Metro are pretty much GONE and will be replaced with size and heart….I do want to thank the latter for their time though ……

29. andrewberkshire says:

You bemoan Plekanec and Marleau’s failures in the playoffs yet request Kovalchuk? I’m sorry Mike but I don’t follow. Kovalchuk is the biggest choker out there.

30. Slovak says:

I don’t judge him, I just see the reality, I don’t want to live in memories or hopes I want to see real progress in real time and you? Halak is a long term quality – he improves slowly but constantly, what can you say about Price? Yeah I know what:

“We all hope his potential will breakthrough one day”

Come on

31. Bouleau noir says:

You cant compete for the Cup if your team has scoring depth issues…. look at Chicago and the Flyers or just look at a perenial Cup contender like Detroit….. no scoring depth issues with those clubs and yet all have good no name goalies doing the job for them.

Having a good goaly is crucial and having good scoring depth in your team is just as crucial….. to have both makes you a legetimate Cup contender.