Jaro the Canadiens’ best ever?

Michel Villeneuve thinks so.

The provocative host of CKAC’s afternoon drive show, Les amateurs de sports, made that claim today.

Villeneuve believes Jaro Halak’s playoff performances to date are better than anything accomplished by Georges Vézina, Bill Durnan, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden and the holiest of holies, the stingiest of stingies, the great Patrick Roy.

Villeneuve bases his assessment on how Halak has played in the five elimination games the Canadiens have faced in two rounds: three win-or-go-homes against Washington, two against Pittsburgh.

Jaro’s GAA: 1.60

Facing a average of 42 shots per do-or-die game, his save percentage is 96.2.

Those numbers are just STUPID!

Villeneuve also suggests we factor in the quality of opposition firing all those shots.

Yes, the Bruins were a powerhouse in 1971, when Dryden stoned them.

But in 1986 and 1993, St. Patrick didn’t face players as dangerous as Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar and Letang – playing without a red line and under rules designed to promote offence and protect Sidney Crosby.

As to the merits of the goaltenders’ supporting casts, I’ll leave that assessment to the Commentariat.

Anyway, something to chew over on an off-day.

Puck shower by Josie Gold, the Photo Shop genius whose work graces Four Habs Fans

•  •  •

New History will be made, with Brian Gionta

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Anyone know what the Habs and NHL record is for straight victories in elimination games in post-season? Jaro’s won 5 so far, the maximum a team can face is 12, but I doubt any team rallied from 4 rounds of 3-1 deficits.

Not that I want the team to face elimination again of course, just curious if Jaro’s running close to any records.

2. HabsRadio says:

If this continues all the way to a cup victory, there is no doubt this would rival St. Pat’s 10 straight overtime victories.  No doubt.

We talk a lot more about it in Killing In The Name Of Gary Bettman: http://www.HabsRadio.com

Check out http://www.HabsRadio.com for a fresh take on all things Habs. Blogs, Discussions, and of course, the Podcast!

3. The Cat says:

Comparisons like this are impossible to make. I seen Roy and he was VERY special. My father seen Plante and he says Plante has no equal…What I like about Jaro is the hero mentality, I can see it in his eyes (the fire) -he wants to be the hero and thats essential for a goalie I think. Thinking back to last year when the habs were getting spanked all over the place (6 straight games I think) and then Jaro came in and got peppered by Vancouver, San Jose and Colorado I think and won them all -that was something else. One thing that cant be argued is Jaros record when facing 35+ shots or 40+ shots, as well as rebounding from a loss. He has a knack for getting Ws and stopping losing skids, plus he performed for a long time with the inhumane leash of not playing anytime soon unless he was virtually perfect in his last game. Hes mentally tough and hes a nice guy, probably the best teammate of all the other goalies mentioned.

4. VancouverHab says:

Dear Andrew: I’m absolutely on your side on this one. In fact, it seems unarguable that players today are being better than previous generations — at the very least, their is an overwhelming burden of proof on those who claim that active NHL players are superior to previous generations. Wayne Gretzky has no peer playing today. Nor does Gordie Howe. Neither does Dickie Moore. There is no defenseman today who can lace Larry Robinson’s skates, and of course Bobby Orr goes wthout saying. I’ll stop here simply because it’s obvious that while the modal average size & weight has increased, the skill level has not followed by any means.

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, there are a lot of tangents that You and I (and Others) can go-off-on …Are We talking about specific players, as in Jaro ? …or the average skill-level of an NHL player ?

…if It’s Jaro, compared to George Vezina, George Hainsworth, Jacques Plante, Gump Worsley, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Terry Sawchuk, Hasek, and/or a Brodeur …these are subjective arguments/opinions We can go-on-and-on about ’til the cows come home …sort of like debating between whether Chopin or Brahms was the best composer …the context of equipment like You were saying, relative teams they were part-of, the concentration of their days relative talent within a 6 team, 12 team or 30 team League, etc., etc.

…the goalie IMO was The Greatest Goalie Of All Time was Jacques Plante …it is My opinion because I am old enough to have seen Him play, and obviously I am still tickin’ to fortunately have seen today’s great goalies as well as those in between

…I am NOT old enough to have seen George Hainsworth or George Vezina, so I am not going to be arrogant enough to tell You one way or other where They rate

…for one magical year We thought Jose Theodore was the second-coming of at least Patrick Roy

…no matter WHAT Era You will have players with gifts and skill-sets so far above the norm that they would be a superstar no matter when they played the game

…with Jaro Halak, no matter how much I admire what He has done in this short-time, …until He wins the Stanley Cup …until He surpasses a tipping-point of time maintaining this exceptional level of accomplishment, it is foolish and premature to talk about comparing Him with Plante, Dryden or Roy for instance

…BUT IF He does continue His extraordinary play, wins Lord Stanley …and is more than a One Year Wonder …then there WILL be an argument for Him being ONE of the greatest

PS …Andy, You said:  “but most goalies thought to be elite (Brodeur, Luongo, Bryzgalov,
    Nabokov) all continually fail when it matters” …you are so far correct about Luongo, Bryzgalov, and Nabokov, …but hasn’t Brodeur won Stanley Cups ?…WHY would You include Brodeur in this group ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

6. light_n_tasty says:

He’s got you there, Andrew.  The “you know nothing about hockey” argument is foolproof.

7. Xtrahabsfan says:

“If Halak wins the ConnSmythe and The Stanley Cup for us,I’ll be happy to debate this with you”….The debate is in your head and it is WHEN NOT IF! Jebus,kids today? GO HABS GO…………….

8. FSUPhi1584 says:

Names like Patrick Lalime, Jose Theodore, Manny Fernandez, Marty Turco, Dominik Hasek, Khabiboulin and many others names can be mentioned as dominant once, but have now faded into obscurity. The goalies that have been consistently excellent over their entire career have been few and far between. In fact only two come to mind at the moment: Brodeur and our very own Patrick Roy.

The one goaltender that comes to mind that performed well in the playoff with the Canadiens and then disappeared is Steve Penney. Back in the 84 playoffs, he had a 2.20 GAA and 3 shutouts in 15 games. Which brings attention to the fact that Halak has yet to have a shutout, although thats a stat I could care less about. He was on the team in 86, but never got his name on the Stanley Cup due to being injured almost the entire year. He never had success after that run. It’s a very sad story. Luckily Roy was around to save the day. Back then he was being heraldd as the Next Ken Dryden (Sounds similar to Price’s situation a few years back) and he couldn’t take the hype.

This is why I’d like for us to resign Carey Price just in case something like this happens.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

as I always say, the 70-game goalie is a myth. However because of the cap and depth issues with decent backup goaltenders, teams feel compelled to play their 6-million dollar man as often as possible because they’ve invested so much in that guy. Doesn’t matter if he’s burned to a crisp, they’re going to play him until the playoffs, than expect him to be even better. I think Luongo, Bryzgalov, Nabokov could win if they played in the low 60s on the year but Lu needs at least one Ace Defencemen, Bryzgalov needs to be on a team that isn’t spending the minimum on the cap and Nabokov, he’s definitely too old for 70-game seasons plain and simple and they need to lose some dead weight that wears #19. Lundqvist is another guy who gets run into the ground in NY and his team’s up **** creek thanks to Sather banking on his 80s legacy.

10. andrewberkshire says:

Perhaps Chris, however I believe the NHL is currently in a very large lull as far as elite goaltending goes. In the 1990’s and early 2000’s goaltenders like Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, Hasek and a couple others were modern marvels. A single generation of goalies all came close to or broke the all times Wins record. However now, who in the NHL can really be called an elite goalie? Miller perhaps, but this was his breakout year, and he’s already 30 come July. Halak has had a breakout year, but most goalies thought to be elite (Brodeur, Luongo, Bryzgalov, Nabokov) all continually fail when it matters. There’s a bunch of young goalies who may be able to live up to the past generation, but most goalies today survive because the game of hockey has become a defensive game, with fewer scoring chances and fewer talented players per team. Add to that the fact that modern goalies get to wear pads the size of my couch on their chest.

If players today were uniformly more skilled, I think they would be able to break through and exploit goalies a lot worse than they do. There’s not as much creativity in the game today.

11. andrewberkshire says:

If Halak wins the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup for us, I’ll be happy to debate this with you.

Sidenote: ironic that it was Curtis Joseph who posted those spectacular numbers in 1993, as that was Jaroslav Halak’s boyhood hero. I’m personally very glad that Halak doesn’t take after Joseph too much, because throughout his career I always felt Cujo was just good enough to lose and look good.

12. ManApart says:

I hear your points,  It is too early to talk about Halak’s overall perfomance and where it stands because it’s not over yet.  if Halak does go on to play like he has and wins the Conn Smyth and Cup I would very much wager that it will go down as one of the greatest if not the greatest performance of all time. I really hope we all get a chance to debate that point  sometime around mid June.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Andy, take it from a Guy that HAS seen the different Eras …players today ARE overall More Talented skill-wise, as well as larger, healthier, stronger and faster, whether they wear yesteryears’ equipment or today’s

…this is BECAUSE of today’s healthier diets, better personal understanding to care for their bodies, education, better training techniques and technologies to communicate them, better facilities and organizations to teach

…smarter and healthier athletes only logically will result in better-skilled athletes

…AND, if hockey is still around in 30-40 years, THAT generation will also be likely faster, stronger and genetically more capable of more hockey skills than today’s

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

14. andrewberkshire says:

I wonder, J, since you brought it up, how many goalies have put on fantastic performances in the playoffs, and then faded into obscurity. I know many have done so in the regular season, but usually when a goalie dominates in the playoffs, especially at a young age, it should be a sign that they’re here to stay.

15. andrewberkshire says:

Players today are not more skilled than before, or there would be much more scoring. They’re better conditioned and use better equipment, but there are also more teams and the talent is therefor more spread out. Goalie equipment is also radically better and MASSIVELY bigger. People always talk about how much bigger the pads and gloves have gotten, but the most substantial increase has been in the chest protector. Most goalies (Halak included) are very skinny, yet on the ice they look obese.

As for Curtis Joseph, he only played two rounds that year. If that’s comparable, then we can say that Halak hasn’t transcended anything, since Craig Anderson put up his exact same save % against the SJ Sharks in the first round.

As for number of scoring chances, I’m more interested in quality. Washington has tons of scoring chances in game 7, maybe as many as 30, but I was never really worried about the outcome of that game because they were mostly mediocre scoring chances, and when they got good ones, Halak was so badly in their heads from the last game that they missed the net or flubbed their chance.

As for your last point, I agree that it’s entirely reasonable to compare Halak to some of the greatest performances in the history of the game. He’s blown my mind. But to say ‘best ever’ is still ridiculous, especially since we haven’t won the cup at this point.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Conditioning is better, but I don’t know if I would say the average athlete is objectively “better”

17. J. Ambrose says:

1) Absolutely. I have no doubts there.

2) I only hope the training staff is very careful with him. Permanent damage is but an end-boards crash on an icing-race away.

3) Yes, and the coaching staff is undoubtedly working on that now. The focus against the Pens was up the middle, shutting down their centers. Now we must turn our focus to physical play along the boards, our offensive-zone entrance, and their use of the dump and chase.

4) Pleks shouldn’t be on that list. His play was outstanding, charged as he was with the task of shadowing Crosby. And is there a better PK forward in the game right now? AK seems to be resurrecting his play, and if that keeps up, I predict a multiple goal game. A return to form by Pouliot would be very welcome, but I highly doubt it will happen. And Metro’s shoulder is clearly not 100%. I would say the player we need to improve his play right now is Hammer. We need him to be the player he was when Markov first went down.

5) Hockey at this point of the playoffs is all about belief/confidence. I think they passed a HUGE test in the second period of game 7 when they suddenly seemed nervous and tentative. As though they suddenly realized where they were, and weren’t sure they could maintain that against the Pens’ talent. But Jaro made a few of his patented game-savers, and their whole temper changed once again. The swagger came back, and the actually started to toy with the Pens in the third. I predict they will now play with a flow that we haven’t seen since mid-season.

18. Xtrahabsfan says:

Yo ,just playing with you  and in all honesty  you are a very good fan……so there….

19. J. Ambrose says:

Well, I grew up idolizing Dryden, and marveled at Roy (although I never liked the person behind the mask), and I must say Halak is performing as well as any goaltender I’ve ever seen with the CH. He doesn’t have Dryden’s size or Roy’s glove hand, but he tracks the puck better than either of them. Patrick was always praised for his positional excellence, but Jaro is his equal in that department. He does not have, nor will ever have, I suspect, Patrick’s almost psychotic will to humble his opponents; but Jaro has a calm control that suits his style of play very well.

What lies ahead for him, no one can say. Perhaps he’ll never play this well again. Or perhaps we are witnessing the infancy of a Hall of Fame career. Only Father Time can say. BUT this season’s simply remarkable record of victories in 45+ shot games, and this unexpected, outstanding playoff performance will surely go down in hockey annals as one of the best of all time.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

If I was right about everything, I’d be a General Manager, but I’m not. Just a guy who likes to see talent in action and hopes that the player can live up to their potential, doesn’t always work of course.

21. ManApart says:

Not so sure about all this. Players today top to bottom are way more skilled than what they were. They are bigger, faster, with better equipment. It is a lot harder to stop a typical scoring chance today than it used to be. The goalies today are just miles ahead of their predecessors. It would be interesting to see the # of scoring chances from 1993 to today.

I would also say that Halak has gone quite beyond the norm for today. His save% is way above anyones, except for Miller who has .926 in 6 games against an offensively challenged Bruin team. I would say, no goalie in the world, playing the Caps and Pens, could have come close to posting Halak’s numbers. I think he has performed way beyond what the norm would do. Taking into account his performances when everything was on the line, in elimination games, it has thus far been an all time great performance. I think he has definately transcended what his peers were/are doing in their situations, never mind playing the Caps and Pens, getting what i’m sure is the most shots per game in the league against the most dangerous shooters. In 1993 Cujo actually had a save% better than Roy’s with .938% and a GAA very close, not that I’m taking anything away from Roy in the least, but at least numbers wise, he was matched by another goalie that year. I don’t think anyone will end up matching Halak.

It’s only 2 rounds, but taking that into account, I think it is definately reasonable to compare Halak’s performance to the all time greats. Sometimes it’s not only about the numbers, it’s about the teams, situations, big game moments etc. I go back far enough to remember 1993 very clearly (was at the Mcsorley stick measuring game). I have the 1986 Finals on tape. From what I’ve seen so far, in relation to  the awe factor, Halak is very much in the same neighborhood.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Or he changed his mask like many goalies do? This is his 3rd or 4th mask since 2006-07? I don’t know but I’m sure he wasn’t told to change his mask, a goalie likes his mask and he plays well with it? You leave him alone.

23. CHsam says:

That was a great part of his old mask. Funny thing is that they probably asked Halak to remove the Roy before they lifted 33 into the rafters… but they let Price wear his mask with all the goalies etc… No matter, Halak doesn’t need Roy on the side of his mask to prove he’s the real deal

24. Xtrahabsfan says:

Halak ,Gill and Laps we’re my boys all season long….Who did you pick  Price and S.K ?…;)

25. Xtrahabsfan says:

Would you agree that today’s N.H.L.er is much improved from that of 1993 or 1986 because of athletes like Wayne and Mario bumping the bar a whole bunch of notches higher?

26. headbanger_33 says:

Thank you for proving my point that your idiocy will always reign supreme within the hearts of all Habs fans.

Truly pathetic, your unquestionable admission goes to show that 95% of you retards who balked at Halak’s presence still think they know everything.

27. andrewberkshire says:

The difference to me is that Patrick Roy won with transcendent performances in a time when offense ruled the sport of hockey. His numbers were unfathomable. Halak is winning with spectacular numbers in a time where defense is what wins championships in hockey. Not only that, his numbers aren’t much different from those put up by Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson in losing efforts. Today a save % of .933 isn’t unfathomable, it’s just amazingly good. If Halak had put up these numbers in 1993 or 1986, I would say it was the best goaltending performance of all time.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Going by your BS, I guess we need to ask 1/4 of H I/O at the very least to bugger off since that’s at least as many people who were dumping on Playoff Hero Hal Gill until the post-season started. Were you in that group as well? I don’t remember but if you were, would you kindly leave to keep this all nice and orderly?

29. Xtrahabsfan says:

But then again Andrew one can say that most N.H.L.ers now play Hockey as well as Gretzki and Lemeiux ….it’s the Darwinism of the sport so one can easily say Halaks the best there’s ever been……

30. andrewberkshire says:

I like the Canadiens, and that’s who I root for. This isn’t Halak inside out, even though you seem to think it is.

31. ManApart says:

Halak has been better than even his most avid supporters could have imagined. To think that he was dismissed as just an adequate back-up when this season began is really hard to believe. Now it’s looking like he will be the Habs #1 goalie for the next decade and maybe follow in the lineage of the legendary goaltenders that preceded him. We are witnessing history that will be talked about in 30 years. But before we say Jaro’s performance is the greatest of all time, he has to bring home the whole thing. We can say he’s put up the greatest 2 round goaltending perfomance ever and probably be right. To be classified as just simply “the greatest ever” he has to continue to perform near this level and win the Conn Smyth and Cup……On another note, wouldn’t it be cool if he still had his old mask with Roy lifting the Cup from ’93. It would have been a great touch.

32. headbanger_33 says:

Yes, just like Jaro is only good against sub .500 teams, right?

Go take your pencil and paper and shove up ur ass.  You ass clowns are a bunch of two-faced losers.

33. andrewberkshire says:

As opposed to your opinion, which presidents and prime ministers the world over request on a daily basis.

34. andrewberkshire says:

And… hyperbole has gone completely out of control. Factoring in the fact that despite the red line being removed we’re still in a FAR lower scoring period of hockey history than all of the performances Halak is being compared to, this is just a ridiculous comparison to make. What Halak has done has been extremely impressive, but it’s also a sign of the times. It’s also borderline insane to ignore the contributions of the defense and the forwards in limiting scoring chances. Although the quality of competition is great, quality of scoring chances on Halak this post season have been mediocre for the most part. When teams have had great scoring chances, he usually stops those too, but there’s just no way that he’s faced the same quality of shots as Dryden in ’71, or Roy in ’86 or ’93.

Roy for example, posted numbers in his cup runs (even in 89) that were absurd for the time period. 1992-93 was the highest scoring season in NHL history, and his GAA was lower than Halak’s is this year. Halak’s numbers this post season, while impressive, are only on par compared to the numbers of top flight NHL goalies like Ryan Miller this season. What he’s done isn’t beyond the norm of the times. He hasn’t transcended above his peers.

35. headbanger_33 says:

Your opinion means nothing, there’s no room on the Jaro bandwagon for you loser.

36. Xtrahabsfan says:

1) What makes you think any different,eh….I’ll tell you one thing, someone better put away 5-6 million for him in the off season cus I wouldn’t want  our guy’s playing against him!

2)When Doctors can totally rebuild a knee like a musician can restring a guitar….

3)Hell ya!

4)Where is Pouloit anyways?

5)Dude they just beat  the Caps and the Pens  with hardly any games off….HELLO…..IS THEY’RE ANYBODY IN THERE?

37. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve decided to take a crack at examining what number of starts a goalie should have in the regular year and why your best shot at a Cup rests in a goalie who plays under 65 games a year in my latest blog post.

Keep this in mind when Jaro is the undisputed No. 1 man around here next year.

38. Puck Bard says:

We shall see. Halak’s performance is impressive, but as Gill has said, means nothing if they don’t bring home the Cup.

39. badbalance says:

Take that Josh F. Koscheck, Calling out the Habs after the fight, saying “Pittsburgh is going to kick your ass” and also saying “Ill also kick GSPs ass, So thats 2 times you guys are going to lose”. Maybe he’s just jealous that the fans in Montreal are so amazing.

I also remember Letang saying how they expected to knock out the Habs in game 5 after game 4.

I also remember reading another message board with pens fans who said “Habs score fluke goals” “Habs are lucky” “It’s a cakewalk for the Pens, they will get some good rest after beating Montreal in 4 or 5(if Montreal is lucky)”

Funny how it was the Habs who made the most of it those years. Sheer opportunism.

41. Chris says:

Hey…if Denmark pulls a rabbit out of the hat and wins the World Cup this summer, I will GLADLY send out lotto picks to everybody that wants ’em!  :)

42. Tis Himself says:

“The gauge going forward for those that might wear the Habs jersey must be heart. Heart is what allowed them to dispatch both the Caps and the Pens in deciding games in Washington, DC and Pittsburgh, PA!”  — Me!

43. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Yes, without a doubt.

2. Hopefully next round, with luck his brace will allow him to play and contribute.

3. I believe the team can adapt to the situation, Bruins are slow of foot and will be highly vulnerable to the speed of the Habs forwards, while the Flyers are begging to run into a team that exposes their farcical goaltending situation for what it is. The fight will be more physical, but I think our energy line guys and defencemen have shown a toughness that they can handle what is thrown at them.

4. AK46 was on the rise in the last two games, I think his rise will spark Pleks and create a very dangerous line with Cammy alongside them, I pray Pouliot gets better and Metro’s shoulder does as well but I won’t hold my breath,

5. They’ve been in this whole thing to win it, that’s their attitude, I beiieve they won’t have that much of an adjustment to make.

44. Big Ted says:

Five questions I’m asking right now about the Habs heading into round three:

1) Will Halak continue to play at the same level?

2) Will Markov be back and when?

3) Will the Habs have to change their style to compete against a bigger team that plays a more physical game, and are Spacek and Gill and others healthy enough to do so?

4) Most of the Habs are playing near their top potential. Of the guys who might still have more to give (which is not to say they’re playing badly), who steps his game up next series? Plekanec? AK46? Pouliot? Metropolit?

5) Can the Habs adapt to not being the heavy underdog and can they win a series without facing elimination?

45. Tis Himself says:

Don’t hold out on us! Post your LOTTO picks daily!! We don’t mind sharing!!!

46. Big Ted says:

Every generation will have their standard that they compare greatness to. For those who grew up watching Plante or Dryden or Roy, it might be hard to draw a comparison to Halak, whereas those who are not old enough to remember the others will now use Halak as their measuring stick. Halak has been formidable to say the least, but I don’t think we can say this year has been any more remarkable than that o a goalie who played in a different era. The performances are just not comparable. For me, Patrick Roy did so many great things leading two teams that had no business winning cups and he took those teams all the way. Halak has been stellar but in two series and has not even got out of the third round yet. If he were to win the Cup, I think we could have that debate then. for now, let’s just enjoy the show he’s putting on and ride it as far as it takes us.

47. Chris says:

I’ve been a New Orleans Saints fan since the mid 1980’s, and getting a Super Bowl victory out of that franchise was pretty much all I thought I was going to get as a professional sports gift this season. If my other teams had missed the playoffs, I still might have gone home happy.

But here we have the Montreal Canadiens in the conference finals for the first time since 1993.

And then I’ve got Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns, who knocked off the San Antonio Spurs for the first time in what feels like forever to also make the conference finals.

Let’s just say that you should all be betting on Denmark at the World Cup this summer…it is the Year of Chris! :)

48. Tis Himself says:

We certainly ragged on him in New York as the coach of the Rangers, but Emile Francis — Ron’s dad — was right. “Hockey is a slippery game. It’s played on ice!”

49. Tis Himself says:

That’s certainly fair. What I really think is great about this run is that new generations of Montreal Canadiens’ fans who have had to rest their faith in this team on the experiences of others finally get to experience a bona fide run on their own. It’s like watching a bunch of kids discovering that calculus works!

50. ShangaDoo says:

Hey Boone, did you know your about last night article is on NHL.com?

Notice how they took out Sidney Who and the rest of it? Hahaa

51. Chris says:

You see series upsets like that and wonder, “What the heck just happened?”  The 1993 Penguins and 1986 Oilers were probably two of the best teams of that generation, yet both went home empty-handed.

Can probably add the record-setting 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings to that ledger…they proved that they had the mettle the following years by winning back-to-back cups, but losing to Colorado in the conference finals after they put up a 62-13-7 record (with a +144 goal differential on the season) has to rank with one of the bigger upsets in history, even when factoring in that Colorado was pretty stacked themselves that season.

52. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

good points SF09… it can only be the “Toronto follow the money bias” as for why they (media) are all dumbfounded at the Habs recent brilliant-surprise-success compared to an average season… you add the injuries, and i agree that cost us points, and you mention the positive that Halak was well rested for the playoffs because of the sharing duties (and competition) with Pricey…very very true.  its quite a combination of factors that have brought us here at this point…including the Halak of 2 years ago, the always on the backburner Halak.

53. Chris says:

Yep.  Although, I do have to give Giguere and Hextall major props for winning Conn Smythe trophies despite losing in the finals.  That carries something, even if the Stanley Cup rings didn’t come their way that year.

54. Tis Himself says:

Gosh, I forgot all about that one. Great catch!!!

55. Tis Himself says:

Chris, at the end of the day there is and will always be — knock on wood — one standard that we gauge Montreal Canadiens’ teams by. Did they win the Cup?

56. Chris says:

The fact that an Islanders team, minus it’s only true offensive star in Pierre Turgeon, could knock off that ridiculously stacked Pittsburgh Penguin team sure helped open the door in 1993 as well.

I’d say Roy in ’86 was a better performance for him because the ’93 team was much stronger. But neither the ’86 team nor the ’93 one had to face the President Trophy winner and the defending Stanley Cup champions.

This still feels more like ’86 than ’93. Cammy is taking the place of Claude Lemieux and Halak is replacing Roy.

Dryden in ’71

Roy in ’86

Roy in ’93

All great perfomances and already in the books.

Halak and this edition Habs team are writing their own story and I see many potential plot lines already developing.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

If Markov had been wearing cut-proof hockey socks on Game 1, we’d be fine as well. We lost a ton of games this year because we didn’t have the bodies on the ice or the leadership in the room because of injuries. Markov, Gill and Gionta, the Three “A”s spent a lot of time in the first half of the year being on IR. We lost how many man-games to injury this year from every position except goaltending?

Halak played just the right amount I think this year before playoffs, plenty of rest, a competitive race with Price to strive to make himself better, be better and make himself No. 1 for his country and the Canadiens while not putting an excessive load on his back like Colorado did with Anderson. Right now, all 3 Vezina candidates are golfing with their 65+ starts, the Superstar 70-game goalie is a myth that I hope never gets perpetuated in Montreal.

59. Chris says:

In the 1980’s, any GAA below 3 was good, and below 2.50 was Vezina-worthy.  Roy’s GAA in the playoffs was 1.93 (!!) in 1986.

In 1993, he put up an amazing 2.13 GAA in 1993 (to go with a 0.929 SV% and 16-4 record, including 10 straight OT wins).  Along the way, he faced a list of players that stacks up okay with what Halak has faced:  Sundin, Sakic, Nolan, Ricci, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, Lafontaine, Robitaille, Kurri, Blake and Gretzky.

Comparing across eras is impossible as the equipment is different, the coaching is more extensive and the goal totals are way down today.  I don’t feel the need to say that Halak’s performance was “better than” or “as good as” those of previous goalies…I’m content with that the notion that he’s been awesome and I’m glad he’s playing for us.

60. Tis Himself says:

There are other variables as well Steve. Take ’86 for example. Steve Smith opens the door and a linesman — I think it was either Ray Scampanello or John D’Amico — sorta decides the Conference Finals against the Rangers by taking out James Patrick in OT at MSG.  McSorley has a legal twig in ’93 and the Kings go up 2-0 heading back to LA. It’s always a series of n-x equations with n variables. There are always multiple solutions!

61. Rainrocket16 says:

I may have to agree with almost all of what is posted here. Halak has given the best performances overall since the new NHL era, he has faced many adversities. I know this, he is unbelievable!! No Matter what happens this off season, we need him back more than anything!!

62. HabsalwaysCA says:

off topic… but will the Habs send this photo and video sequence and ask for discipline ? That piece of dog DNA Matt Cooke wraps his his stick around Gill’s injusred knee and reefs on it , while he and Gill are being restarianed by ther refs. No penalty,  but the most flagrant (even for Cooke)case of  intent to injure I’ve seen in a while….

That shpuld be worth at least 5 games next year…

The Habs resisted the temptation ( as best as I could see and i was watching for it)  to  give Staal’s supposedly cut foot, the even slightest tap…..

Go Habs

63. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Great post.

64. CHsam says:

GOod post.

This is an interesting dilemma for me.  In my eyes, Halak is the only reason the Habs made the playoffs.  His goaltending, plus Cammy’s timely scoring, have allowed us to pull off the two biggest upsets of the playoffs so far this year.  The Habs’ performance up until this point in time is way beyond what any of us thought possible.  Even the “Be True To Your School” crowd.  This spring, Halak goes to the front of the class, no questions asked.

On the other hand, I really believe that Patrick Roy’s goaltending in 1993 was the best I have ever witnessed.  It certainly was right up there with the Bower/Sawchuk miracle of ’67.  I really don’t like Roy that much but he is the only reason we have 24 Cups.

Mike Boone can check back in early June and we can all revisit this timely question.  For now, I have to go with Roy and ’93.

66. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Halak has been stellar…and should be mentioned first, but then be sure to mention every single player taking shifts on the ice, as they have all been stellar as well, every shift doing whats best at that moment, putting in the effort that is post season… I really hope it continues because these gents deserve it… the same way they deserved to beat the PENNS after finishing off the CAPS… but lets not look ahead, take it day by day.

as for Halak, well, i vividly remember freaking out on this very site when he led us to the door of the playoffs 2 years ago only to see HUET inserted and a loss against Toronto…when it should have been Halak back then, but i suppose it took a real Veteran coach to finally pull the gutsy move and put him in permanently.

JM deserves every bit of credit along with his players….

as for talk radio, i heard a brilliant comment (finally) i think it was from Kypreos… where everyone was commenting on the Habs squeaking into the playoffs via the toronto game etc… then Kypreos said ” well if they’d played Halak alot more during the regular season, i don’t think making the playoffs would have been an issue.” and that basically shut everyone up!

as for Boones assertation on lifting Halaks sweater to the rafters…. not yet, but if he continues in his ways for another 2 rounds, then I honestly think it warrants VERY serious consideration.

67. Matt_in_TO says:

Kristopher mentioned earlier a video of the players arriving last night / this morning and being greeted by the fans.  Here’s one clip I could find.

Now you would think there would have been some sort of security present.  Pyatt didn’t look too sure about things at first but he did crack a smile when the PK chant started.  Love the singing of Happy Birthday.

Welcome to hockey in Montreal.

– I Hab Faith

68. FSLN says:

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for the next round?

69. RH says:

Halak, save for a couple of games,  has been absolutely stupendous in these playoffs and, almost single handedly, beat the Washington Capitals. The Montreal Canadiens, as a team, beat the Pittsburgh Penguins though and, I have to admit, managed to put me in my place at the same time. Having picked the defending Cup champs to bury the Habs in five games, I was astounded at the resiliency these “midgets” showed. I think it was after game 4 when I just decided to just shut up and enjoy it.

Whatever happens from here on out, I have to say that the frustration, that built up in me over the course of the regular season, has definitely dissipated with the play of this team in the post season. These guys have played with heart, character and pride.

Heart: Pierre Mac. said it in the series against the Caps but I wasn’t quite convinced. After this huge upset against the Pens, I can honestly say the Habs are definitely paying the price by taking the hits, blocking the shots and not backing down.

Character: 5 times facing elimination. 5 wins. But it’s more than that. It’s realizing that they can’t just let their goalie keep winning games for them. The leadership has become more apparent as the playoffs have progressed.

Pride: As per Gionta who said ” No one wants to get spanked….” or something to that effect, in the first round. That says a lot.

This, the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens have defied all logic and reasoning in these playoffs and I really hope they keep it going. I also hope the Bruins win tomorrow because the path to the big show just seems so much easier going through Boston. In the meantime though, I’ll shall continue to enjoy my crow.

70. Tis Himself says:

It’s been my experience that the best thing you can do with a turd is just let it sit there and decompose. What does it profit a man or woman to disturb it?

71. Matt_in_TO says:

Well I guess everyone got sick of Jaro vs Carey so now it’s Jaro versus all the Hall of Famers who donned the CH.

– I Hab Faith

72. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Well ain’t that the mother of all goaltending controversies?

It’s a great city to talk sh”t in, isn’t it. It must be boring to live in sensible places, if such things exist.

73. Matt_in_TO says:

See what happens when you give up eating meat!

– I Hab Faith

74. Tis Himself says:

Nah, it’s his trying to stay away from Bell Centre hot dogs that has thrown him over the edge!

75. Y says:

Looks like Laraque has lost his mind after being dumped by the Habs

76. merlin_24cups says:

New history will be made video on NHL.com

77. Kristopher7 says:

Same video, but commercial free on Youtube, NHL.com can gtfo with forcing us to watch ads.

I love these, Habs have four so far, and they are all warranted! Not like the random ones they made for Fleury and Bieksa.

78. Kristopher7 says:

I’m so pumped for Round 3. Sunday I’m heading to a friends house for the game. I hope I can score some home game tickets on Saturday, and if I can’t I think I’m going to drive to Philly or Boston to watch some away games. GO HABS GO!

Oh, and the assessment of Halak, I agree with most of it. Shutting out Ovechkin and Crosby like he’s done in 5 elimination games is unreal. The rules have changed since hte 70s, 80s and 90s, the protection on Crosby, AND the advance in quality of offensive plays (with all those damn tip ins, etc)

79. light_n_tasty says:

Jaro’s playing out of his mind…but, he’s gonna haveta win something before we call this year’s performance the best ever.  If he take’s it all, sure.  Best ever playoff performance.  Still got 2 rounds to go.  Performance has to be measured by results.

80. Kristopher7 says:

Think he’ll get a decreased workload in the Conference finals? Can BOS or PHI even compare to Ovechkin or Crosby? Or will it be the grit that these teams have that will just crunch the Habs and crash Jaro non stop?

I’m worried about the Stanley Cup Finals when they get that far. SJS or CHI………..ouch. 😡

81. Castor says:

aaaand the hyperbole has gone too far. Only in the second round.

82. Kristopher7 says:

“What if the Habs didn’t believe?”

Maybe you should star, Castor?

83. petrov14 says:

I like it! LAPIERRE

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

84. Kristopher7 says:

I just saw this video on TV, it was Habs players getting off a plane. One part of the video had PK Subban being hugged by a ton of random people, it was awesome!!!

85. Morocco says:

If there is a link to that, post it. Stupid american tv could care less.

86. Habscore says:

It all started with L’Impact of MTL, then the Alouettes winning the Championship in which both have been honoured beautifully in the Bell Center. Are the Habs next??

— YES HABS CAN!! —

87. Tis Himself says:

Like publishing houses told Mario when approached about writing his biography: Win the Cup first!

88. Habitant in Surrey says:

…AMAZING what radio-talk-show and quasi-journalist hacks will go-to to boost ratings and hits

…include a Stanley Cup accomplishment within Jaro’s so-far wonderful performances …Only Then you can justify such a bald-faced motive to reach Your ‘hit’ quota before Sunday Booner

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

89. SeriousFan09 says:

Amazing how bent out of shape people can get over an opinion that a Gazette journalist passed on from a talk-show host and compared the argument against some reasonable examples.

90. ManApart says:

Another bitter Price loyalist?

91. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ll get bent-out-of-shape when & where I please Bob …thanks for the hypocrisy anyways

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

92. SeriousFan09 says:

What, what did I do now?

93. Habitant in Surrey says:

…never mind Bob …You are still one of My favorite posters here

…probably still grumpy wakin’ up this morning and learning of the dumb-ass violence last night

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Nah, those idiots can’t get me down too much, especially since all the local Leafs fans are so depressed by their own team and amazed by ours that they can’t even throw anything negative my way. It’s bad hearing about it, it’s even worse hearing about it non-stop for weeks by Leafs fans.

Victory is too sweet right now for my mood to come down too much.

95. Castor says:

Oh I believe….in JINXES!

96. SeriousFan09 says:

“What if these moments meant anything at all?” History Wasn’t Made.

97. Kristopher7 says:

“What if unfunny jokes were funny?” History Might Be Made.

98. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PartMan, go to Your Personal Page, You will see the View, Edit, Track sections

…Track goes back on Your History Of Posts since We were members of HIO

…it is 100 % SURE You will find I was One of the FIRST and few, then, that was Halak’s defender and promoter on HIO …LONG before I saw Your ‘face’ in HIO PartMan

…before runnin’ off Your mouth, …KNOW what You are talkin’ ’bout FIRST …Boy

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

99. ManApart says:

Geez, settle down. That’s why I was asking a question, because I wasn’t sure if I was mistaken or not. Why don’t you try hitting the gym to work off that pent up anger you have.

100. Habitant in Surrey says:

…WHERE is My taser ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

101. Slovak says:

as some of you look for Halak´s nickname, I have one, I did write it before several times. His first name JAROSLAV can be divided in 2 parts: JAR-OSLAV in slovak language in word to word translation it means excatly this:

Jar = Spring

Oslav = to Celebrate

So what if we make a short version and call him simply MR. SPRING – or just – SPRING

There are several more reasons to call him like that:

1.He brough energy of Spring to whole team

2.He can fly like spring birds do :-)

3.He melted the ice cold Penguins and he seems to be able to melt any opponent offensive players out there

4.And it is kind of indian – good karma name

Any other reasons for calling him that way? :-)

102. Kristopher7 says:

Slovak, you are awesome, sir!

103. DrA says:

Spring Champion, is the way I se it.

104. DrA says:

I read or heard somewhere that Mike (the Sniper) Cammy scored the championship goal in overtime at the Quebec pee-wee tournament the year his team played.  Can anyone confirm this?

105. Slovak says:

And moreover in Czech language word JARO means SPRING

106. teebs says:

Somewhere Alan Walsh is licking his chops…..

Halak has been great, yes. Putting him in Legend status so soon is a bit of a stretch.

107. soperman says:

Halak is great but this argument is pointless until after we win the cup.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

108. smiler2729 says:

How old is this radio guy on CKAC? Is he 100 years old? Did he see Bill Durnan and Jacques Plante?? I think he’s a little drunk with giddiness.

Jaro Halak’s had an amazing spring so far. Just like J-S. Giguere a couple seasons back… and Ron Hextall in ’87… Steve Penney had Hab fans buzzing too one spring.

If Halak is being elevated to God-status already, it’s going to be hard for him to maintain this into next year and now he’ll probably be expected to go 82-0-0 or else the booing will start. And then the controversy will be that Price or more likely Cedric Desjardins should be starting…

Some of us need to stay a little real here…

109. avatar_58 says:

Can we worry about that crap next year? Halak is good NOW. That’s really all that matters. Next year is next year.

110. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Let him be.  I’m the same way!  :-)

It’s impossible to compare players from different eras, end of story.  Besides, it doesn’t matter if he’s the Habs best ever, we just need him to be the best left in today’s NHL.

“The good thing about drinking during games is if they lose, you’re too drunk to care during and too hungover to care after.” – J.T.

111. somerslovesthehabs says:

Halakamania is Running Wild here on the East Coast….Go Habs Go!!!

Thanks Mr Gainey

I have had my Koivu jersey on the sofa chair since game 1 vs Caps…the Captain is with us in Spirit…lol

112. Slovak says:

We can write what we want, Halak sees it simple:

“Every game is a new game”

And I really think this simple mindset allows him to erase previous success or burnout from his head and go on and don´t be fools, he will have more burnouts for sure, but he will come on another day and say:

“You gave me 6 bananas, Yeah? Well, why don’t ya try it again baby”

And it is not question of “if he is hot right now”, he did this stuff so many times, when everybody said he just lost his magic, well somehow he can find it again and again and again and again and again and again………

What you can say about this?? Well yeah, you can say time will tell – but I say…

113. smiler2729 says:

Hey, Boone posted this topic, not me.

114. habscout says:

Our team is playing great, `nuff said. Is there any chance that Boone and the boys will do a new Habs Puckcast before round 3 begins?

115. Jbell10 says:

When he wins a big shiny ring along with a big shiny cup I will start talking about this.

In my opinion way too early to open up this debate.

F$%* he is awesome though!

116. fuhgawz says:

hold on wait a min.  Jaro may be great and playing great but until this team wins a cup and he is in net then we can say this. Props to Jaro he is unreal but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to early to claim this sorry

117. Slovak says:

Let’s make the question other way: Do you believe Jaro can help this team win the cup? And if you do, why?

And if you answer it in a possitive way, you will come to same story as written up there…

118. RockinRey says:

Below is a link in the globe of an  article about SYSTEMS which i have maintained is the most overused word in hockey!

What is interesting to note is that most players don’t seem to know what their system is and it is  clearly one of the biggest cliches in the game.

What it comes down to is the Habs outworked Washington and Pit and the goalie played better and had a little more luck.

What is more telling and seems to be a larger part of their success is that the Habs preach team constantly!

Bring on Boston. I think they match up better against them.

Go Habs go!

119. The Big O says:

Right… 1986, people forget how offensive the league was back then, Gretzky finished with 215 pts that year, Paul Coffey led the D with a 138 pts and here’s the kicker, Neal Broten had 105 pts!!  You had 13 players hit 100 pts that year.  In 1993, you had 21 players hit 100 pts.  This year you had 3 this year… so lets compare offensive quality here.  Yeah Jaro has been unbelievable…best ever though?  Bring home the hardware and then you can compare, right now, it’s wayyyyyyy to premature for such anointments…. the media needs to get a hold of itself here!

120. Greg says:

Well of course.  Jaro is the best goalie the Habs have ever had by FAR!

(Note: If Jaro goes on a 4-game losing streak next October, the team should trade him for a bucket of pucks.)

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

121. Max_a_million says:

(1) We are only half way, this is a crazy comment when you still have 8 games to win.

(2) 1993 – Roy faced

La Kings – Wayne Gretzky, Luc Robitaille, Jari Kurri, Tony Granato, Rob Blake

Buffalo – Pat Lafontaine, Alexander Mogilny, Dale Hawrchuck

Quebec – Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, Owen Nolan, Adam Foote

(3) Roy did it twice for us

I don’t have time to research more right now.

Halak is formidable, spectaculaire and all … let’s hold off on hoisting his bust on the plaza just yet.

122. Danno says:

We are Hab-ulous because Jaro is mir-Halak-ulous.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

123. makka83 says:

Jaro is not the best Canadien ever. Come on. Are we going to base this on potential? The Habs have a high bar on who is one of their best. Halak is definetly making a name for himself and I expect him to become one of the Habs legends but right now he is not there yet…

124. Slovak says:

Base this on what he showed so far and not only in playoffs… Let’s say, he is on the way…:-)

125. Slovak says:

When the new language is born, it is clear sign that a legend is born… It seems like perfect logic to me :-)

126. Slovak says:

When this happens Jaro will go back to Bratislava and I will handle Habs nets – Slovaks have these “I don’t know how I do it but it works” moves in blood so you don’t have to worry :-)

I will do it for 500 000 bugs a year as a hobby :-)

127. Corporate says:

That is the thing he is on his way. Unless we win the cup we can not call him one of the legends of our time.

128. Storm Man says:

Wow what is next…. Cammy is the best sniper of all time. I look at things this way it’s a team game you win as a team and lose as a team. What if the Habs only blocked 106 shots and not 306 would history have been made?

129. Corporate says:

yes but… in 86 we did not face Edmonton… We faced Calgary… In 93, hte only tough team was may be the nordiques, or the Kngs… Both the Sabres and Islanders did not have great goalies. Even then, I still can’t compare those years to this one because we have not won anything yet. When we win we can compare all you want.

130. Slovak says:

…but being on the way is also great… Roy and others were also once on their ways…and I think author of that post based it on his feeling from Jaro’s performance so I don’t see anything wrong about it, maybe he still did not calm down from what HABS did achieve so far…:)

131. Chuck says:

I did the math yesterday. Assuming Jaro’s playoff SV% of .933, it means that the shot blockers saved an extra goal per game; without those extra blocks we would have given up just shy of 4 goals per game. We would have been toast.

And interesting note with Cammy’s production: if you take away his 12 goals, Habs would be averaging under 2 goals/game.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

132. Slovak says:

What is you name Einstein? :-)

133. Storm Man says:

Great job on the numbers, The team is playing great and are only 8 wins away from what matters.

134. K-hab25 says:

Halak, Niemi, Rask, and Leighton/Boucher, all were there teams backup goalies to start the year. Only Nabakov was his teams #1 to start the year. I wonder if thats happened before. Three out of the last 4 goalies starting the year as the backups. Hmmmm!!

135. K-hab25 says:

Cammy is the best sniper of all time, 2 rounds of clutch goals and outstanding play. What kinda of idiot thinks playing great for 2 rounds doesn’t make a player the greatest of all time. :-)

136. ds says:

Halak has been hot this playoffs but to call him MTL’s best ever is a large stretch.  Roy won 11 or so overtime games in 1993, could Halak handle that pressure?  Roy won 2 cups before the clutch & grab NHL where most teams had superstars, there is no comparison between the two until Halak wins a cup and shows consistency.  Roy was the elite NHL goalie for over 10 years, Halak has 1 hot playoff run and 1 strong regular season.  I’m not knocking Halak he is a great NHL goalie but today if the game was on the line I would feel a lot more comfortable with a prime Roy or Dryden in nets than Halak.

I think if Halak wins the cup he will surpass Theodore but don’t forget Jose took MTL teams that had no business in the playoffs to the playoffs year in year out.  The system is designed around Halak’s strengths and weaknesses, lets hope the team goes all the way but in no way shape or form is Halak the best ever.  He’s hot but will he be consistent?

Also earlier this year when Halak was on the block all that MTL got in offers was a second round pick, thankfully nobody offerred more it has worked out in MTL’s best interest.  The guy is a star in the making but he ain’t there yet, not by a long shot.

137. Sbah Reverof says:

Our man has to prove himself for a few seasons before we can put him in the same company as Roy, Dryden, et al.

He’s had a great run thus far, and his work ethic seems to be beyond reproach, but he’s only just beginning.

Thanks for stirring the pot on a non-news day, Boone!

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

138. Mr.Hazard says:

Chuck…. that avatar…. My brain is too tired to resist its pull…

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

139. badangel says:

never thought of that!

140. moonkid says:

I agree with everyone that this kind of discussion is a bit premature.

Roy faced plenty of superstars in his runs, maybe not as much in 86, but definitely in 93.  Wayne Gretzky, even at 32, is no slouch (He had 40 points that playoffs).  Against Buffalo, Mogilny had 76 goals that year to lead the league, and Lafontaine had 148 points.  Other stars include Robitaille (63 goal scorer), Turgeron (132 points).

We’ll never know how he would have fared against Lemieux and the Penguins, but that shouldn’t take away from his accomplishment.

He had around a 2.00 GAA in both 86 and 93, years when having a 3.00 GAA was actually GOOD.

Granted, Roy did have the help of two of the best defensive forwards of all time in 86 (Gainey and Carbonneau), and Carbonneau again in 93.  As great as Plekanac and Co. have been, I don’t think they’re at their level yet.

Either way, it’s too early to compare.  If Habs win the Cup and Halak keeps up this level of play, I’m good with his performance joining Dryden and Roy as the best.  In what order, well, does it really matter?

And best goalie ever?  When Halak’s career is over, we can start that discussion, but for now, enjoy the run folks!

141. notbigbird says:

Can’t anybody read. It’s not about Jaro being better than Roy or whomever else you care to name. The guy is claiming that this particular run is better than any other. I don’t know if he’s right or wrong, but let’s at least argue about the right topic. There, I feel better now.

142. Big Ted says:

A rarity, but look at the goalies for all 16 teams that started the playoffs. We could have similarly said that Rinne, Quick, Varlamov, Howard, Elliot, or Anderson were all young too, and several of them started the year as backups. I don’t think it’s so much the backups moving through the playoffs as it is a changing of the guard in general in the NHL. Outside of Luongo, Brodeur, and Miller, few goalies in the playoffs could say they had ultimate job security, even Nabokov.

143. Slovak says:

And it is personal thing of everybody to believe, what he wants to believe I choose to believe in him and this team and this belief did not come from the air…

It is the same as I believe HABS found themselves and from now on they are and will be a playoff team that everybody must count with.

And all things I believe comes from what I see, feel and from logical comparison of performances, consequently numbers…

There is nothing premature on it, and if it is – WE ALL are premature jokes because after HABS passed CAPS we all more or less started to believe that HABS can go over Pens… When we compare performances of HABS and PENS how many of us now think they were better team? And how many of us thought before the series started that HABS can’t really compare to PENS???

144. joeybarrie says:

I think Jaro has been GREAT. Smart and Solid. But the Defense has really helped to keep alot of those shots easy. That being said, Its true that Jaro has had to face Ovechkin, Crosby and the rest. But let me ask you this…

Ovechkin or Gretzky??? Gretz had 40 points in the 92-93 playoffs alone.

Malkin or Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin??? By the way Sundin and Sakic combined for 219 points that season.

Semin or Pat Lafontaine???  He had 148 points that season for Buffalo. Dont forget Mogilny had 127 points that season for Buffalo too. 275 points between the two…Dale Hawerchuk???  a cool 96. Totaling their top line at 371. More points than The Caps had Goals last season…

Pierre Turgeon or Backstrom.  Turgeon had 132 points that season…

I dont want to take anything away from Halak. He has been great. But the quality of shots has been greatly decreased by our defense and system. He has done GREAT GREAT things. But Halak hasn’t faced players with the skill of Gretzky or Sakic.

As for Dryden??????  Phil Esposito, BOBBY ORR…Bobby Hull?????

Come on, Lets get real. Its gonna take more than 14 playoff games to give those guys a run for the leader…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

145. joeybarrie says:

THAT BEING SAID. This is EXACTLY how those guys got started…………….

Here is hoping that we will look back and say HALAK in the same breath as Roy and Dryden.

here may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

146. Slovak says:

Take it down and compare performances not whole life…

147. Slovak says:

Now we understand each other and this is exactly the thing this article was written about…

148. Shiloh says:

I think Halak is right up there as far as goaltending talent is concerned, but that’s not even his best quality. His best qualities are patience and a sense of team. He had to sit patiently while another goalie parachuted into Hamilton and was handed his job. Then he outplayed that same goalie for the better part of two years, but still couldn’t get the majority of games – even this year! Aside from his agent one-time tweet, we heard nothing from him.

Incidently, Price has been awesome in this regard as well – we haven’t had a peep of negativity from him.

I guess I’d say that Halak is very special right now – and looks to be a great goalie for a long time, but let’s wait until he leads us to a Cup.

149. Chuck says:

Halak both started and played in more regular-season game than Price this year.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

150. moonkid says:

I never compared eras.  I compared what Roy did during his Cup winning years to what others did THAT year.  A 2.00 GAA is outstanding when most of the top 5 GAA’s those years were above 3.00 GAA.

In 93, he played against Wayne Gretzky, the leading goal scorer that year (Mogilny) and the player second in points (Lafontaine), and others who put up top 5 numbers in various offensive categories.

I pointed that out because it was said he never played anyone the same caliber of the stars on Pens/Caps, when that wasn’t the case.  It might be more true for 86, but definitely not 93.

It’s unfair to compare eras.  You can only compare what a player did in the context of that particular season/playoffs.

151. Max_a_million says:

At this point I think it’s possible yes.

He gave them the confidence to play on their toes without having to worry about their goalie making bad mistakes, which has led to the Canadiens playing very well against the two best teams.  I n contrast Fleury’s weakness in the last game had his team worrying about making mistakes and playing on their heels.

Now the team has confidence and momentum, and a 1 in 4 shot at the cup.  As myagi would say “good chance danielson”

On the other hand I think either Philly or Boston will be very tough to make it through, and we should not look past them.  These teams play smash mouth, and as much as I hate to say this we do not have size everywhere and only one or two seldgehammers.  It makes me nervous.

152. Slovak says:

This HABS team has extreme ability to bounce back if needed, they don’t back down after loss or even sieries of losses and they are able to refocus and turn negative things to positive – these are proven facts…

You don’t have to worry about any team, Habs are able to beat anyone – again proven fact – and if they show the best of them as they did – they have chance like no other…