Jaro the Canadiens’ best ever?

Michel Villeneuve thinks so.

The provocative host of CKAC’s afternoon drive show, Les amateurs de sports, made that claim today.

Villeneuve believes Jaro Halak’s playoff performances to date are better than anything accomplished by Georges Vézina, Bill Durnan, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden and the holiest of holies, the stingiest of stingies, the great Patrick Roy.

Villeneuve bases his assessment on how Halak has played in the five elimination games the Canadiens have faced in two rounds: three win-or-go-homes against Washington, two against Pittsburgh.

Jaro’s GAA: 1.60

Facing a average of 42 shots per do-or-die game, his save percentage is 96.2.

Those numbers are just STUPID!

Villeneuve also suggests we factor in the quality of opposition firing all those shots.

Yes, the Bruins were a powerhouse in 1971, when Dryden stoned them.

But in 1986 and 1993, St. Patrick didn’t face players as dangerous as Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar and Letang – playing without a red line and under rules designed to promote offence and protect Sidney Crosby.

As to the merits of the goaltenders’ supporting casts, I’ll leave that assessment to the Commentariat.

Anyway, something to chew over on an off-day.

Puck shower by Josie Gold, the Photo Shop genius whose work graces Four Habs Fans

•  •  •

New History will be made, with Brian Gionta

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Or he changed his mask like many goalies do? This is his 3rd or 4th mask since 2006-07? I don’t know but I’m sure he wasn’t told to change his mask, a goalie likes his mask and he plays well with it? You leave him alone.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. CHsam says:

That was a great part of his old mask. Funny thing is that they probably asked Halak to remove the Roy before they lifted 33 into the rafters… but they let Price wear his mask with all the goalies etc… No matter, Halak doesn’t need Roy on the side of his mask to prove he’s the real deal

3. Xtrahabsfan says:

Halak ,Gill and Laps we’re my boys all season long….Who did you pick  Price and S.K ?…;)

4. Xtrahabsfan says:

Would you agree that today’s N.H.L.er is much improved from that of 1993 or 1986 because of athletes like Wayne and Mario bumping the bar a whole bunch of notches higher?

5. headbanger_33 says:

Thank you for proving my point that your idiocy will always reign supreme within the hearts of all Habs fans.

Truly pathetic, your unquestionable admission goes to show that 95% of you retards who balked at Halak’s presence still think they know everything.

HAHAHAHA. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOCKEY!!

6. andrewberkshire says:

The difference to me is that Patrick Roy won with transcendent performances in a time when offense ruled the sport of hockey. His numbers were unfathomable. Halak is winning with spectacular numbers in a time where defense is what wins championships in hockey. Not only that, his numbers aren’t much different from those put up by Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson in losing efforts. Today a save % of .933 isn’t unfathomable, it’s just amazingly good. If Halak had put up these numbers in 1993 or 1986, I would say it was the best goaltending performance of all time.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Going by your BS, I guess we need to ask 1/4 of H I/O at the very least to bugger off since that’s at least as many people who were dumping on Playoff Hero Hal Gill until the post-season started. Were you in that group as well? I don’t remember but if you were, would you kindly leave to keep this all nice and orderly?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Xtrahabsfan says:

But then again Andrew one can say that most N.H.L.ers now play Hockey as well as Gretzki and Lemeiux ….it’s the Darwinism of the sport so one can easily say Halaks the best there’s ever been……

9. andrewberkshire says:

I like the Canadiens, and that’s who I root for. This isn’t Halak inside out, even though you seem to think it is.

10. ManApart says:

Halak has been better than even his most avid supporters could have imagined. To think that he was dismissed as just an adequate back-up when this season began is really hard to believe. Now it’s looking like he will be the Habs #1 goalie for the next decade and maybe follow in the lineage of the legendary goaltenders that preceded him. We are witnessing history that will be talked about in 30 years. But before we say Jaro’s performance is the greatest of all time, he has to bring home the whole thing. We can say he’s put up the greatest 2 round goaltending perfomance ever and probably be right. To be classified as just simply “the greatest ever” he has to continue to perform near this level and win the Conn Smyth and Cup……On another note, wouldn’t it be cool if he still had his old mask with Roy lifting the Cup from ’93. It would have been a great touch.

11. headbanger_33 says:

Yes, just like Jaro is only good against sub .500 teams, right?

Go take your pencil and paper and shove up ur ass.  You ass clowns are a bunch of two-faced losers.

JA-ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12. andrewberkshire says:

As opposed to your opinion, which presidents and prime ministers the world over request on a daily basis.

13. andrewberkshire says:

And… hyperbole has gone completely out of control. Factoring in the fact that despite the red line being removed we’re still in a FAR lower scoring period of hockey history than all of the performances Halak is being compared to, this is just a ridiculous comparison to make. What Halak has done has been extremely impressive, but it’s also a sign of the times. It’s also borderline insane to ignore the contributions of the defense and the forwards in limiting scoring chances. Although the quality of competition is great, quality of scoring chances on Halak this post season have been mediocre for the most part. When teams have had great scoring chances, he usually stops those too, but there’s just no way that he’s faced the same quality of shots as Dryden in ’71, or Roy in ’86 or ’93.

Roy for example, posted numbers in his cup runs (even in 89) that were absurd for the time period. 1992-93 was the highest scoring season in NHL history, and his GAA was lower than Halak’s is this year. Halak’s numbers this post season, while impressive, are only on par compared to the numbers of top flight NHL goalies like Ryan Miller this season. What he’s done isn’t beyond the norm of the times. He hasn’t transcended above his peers.

14. headbanger_33 says:

Your opinion means nothing, there’s no room on the Jaro bandwagon for you loser.

15. Xtrahabsfan says:

1) What makes you think any different,eh….I’ll tell you one thing, someone better put away 5-6 million for him in the off season cus I wouldn’t want  our guy’s playing against him!

2)When Doctors can totally rebuild a knee like a musician can restring a guitar….

3)Hell ya!

4)Where is Pouloit anyways?

5)Dude they just beat  the Caps and the Pens  with hardly any games off….HELLO…..IS THEY’RE ANYBODY IN THERE?

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve decided to take a crack at examining what number of starts a goalie should have in the regular year and why your best shot at a Cup rests in a goalie who plays under 65 games a year in my latest blog post.

Keep this in mind when Jaro is the undisputed No. 1 man around here next year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. Puck Bard says:

We shall see. Halak’s performance is impressive, but as Gill has said, means nothing if they don’t bring home the Cup.

18. badbalance says:

Take that Josh F. Koscheck, Calling out the Habs after the fight, saying “Pittsburgh is going to kick your ass” and also saying “Ill also kick GSPs ass, So thats 2 times you guys are going to lose”. Maybe he’s just jealous that the fans in Montreal are so amazing.

I also remember Letang saying how they expected to knock out the Habs in game 5 after game 4.

I also remember reading another message board with pens fans who said “Habs score fluke goals” “Habs are lucky” “It’s a cakewalk for the Pens, they will get some good rest after beating Montreal in 4 or 5(if Montreal is lucky)”

Funny how it was the Habs who made the most of it those years. Sheer opportunism.

20. Chris says:

Hey…if Denmark pulls a rabbit out of the hat and wins the World Cup this summer, I will GLADLY send out lotto picks to everybody that wants ‘em!  :)

21. Tis Himself says:

“The gauge going forward for those that might wear the Habs jersey must be heart. Heart is what allowed them to dispatch both the Caps and the Pens in deciding games in Washington, DC and Pittsburgh, PA!”  — Me!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Yes, without a doubt.

2. Hopefully next round, with luck his brace will allow him to play and contribute.

3. I believe the team can adapt to the situation, Bruins are slow of foot and will be highly vulnerable to the speed of the Habs forwards, while the Flyers are begging to run into a team that exposes their farcical goaltending situation for what it is. The fight will be more physical, but I think our energy line guys and defencemen have shown a toughness that they can handle what is thrown at them.

4. AK46 was on the rise in the last two games, I think his rise will spark Pleks and create a very dangerous line with Cammy alongside them, I pray Pouliot gets better and Metro’s shoulder does as well but I won’t hold my breath,

5. They’ve been in this whole thing to win it, that’s their attitude, I beiieve they won’t have that much of an adjustment to make.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Big Ted says:

Five questions I’m asking right now about the Habs heading into round three:

1) Will Halak continue to play at the same level?

2) Will Markov be back and when?

3) Will the Habs have to change their style to compete against a bigger team that plays a more physical game, and are Spacek and Gill and others healthy enough to do so?

4) Most of the Habs are playing near their top potential. Of the guys who might still have more to give (which is not to say they’re playing badly), who steps his game up next series? Plekanec? AK46? Pouliot? Metropolit?

24. Tis Himself says:

Don’t hold out on us! Post your LOTTO picks daily!! We don’t mind sharing!!!

25. makka83 says:

The funny thing is, you never actually write up an argument. You just insult people. So you always look stupid and your argument always sounds wrong.

26. Big Ted says:

Every generation will have their standard that they compare greatness to. For those who grew up watching Plante or Dryden or Roy, it might be hard to draw a comparison to Halak, whereas those who are not old enough to remember the others will now use Halak as their measuring stick. Halak has been formidable to say the least, but I don’t think we can say this year has been any more remarkable than that o a goalie who played in a different era. The performances are just not comparable. For me, Patrick Roy did so many great things leading two teams that had no business winning cups and he took those teams all the way. Halak has been stellar but in two series and has not even got out of the third round yet. If he were to win the Cup, I think we could have that debate then. for now, let’s just enjoy the show he’s putting on and ride it as far as it takes us.

27. makka83 says:

Actually that argument was based on statistical facts back then. Noone said Halak WILL BE good against sub 0.500 teams… His STATS were saying that… I know the facts make your brain hurt but they are undeniable. Until a little after the Olympics. The Win%, Sav% and GAA for Halak against top teams was similar or worse than Price’s…and that’s a FACT!

28. Chris says:

I’ve been a New Orleans Saints fan since the mid 1980′s, and getting a Super Bowl victory out of that franchise was pretty much all I thought I was going to get as a professional sports gift this season. If my other teams had missed the playoffs, I still might have gone home happy.

But here we have the Montreal Canadiens in the conference finals for the first time since 1993.

And then I’ve got Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns, who knocked off the San Antonio Spurs for the first time in what feels like forever to also make the conference finals.

Let’s just say that you should all be betting on Denmark at the World Cup this summer…it is the Year of Chris! :)

29. Tis Himself says:

We certainly ragged on him in New York as the coach of the Rangers, but Emile Francis — Ron’s dad — was right. “Hockey is a slippery game. It’s played on ice!”

30. Tis Himself says:

That’s certainly fair. What I really think is great about this run is that new generations of Montreal Canadiens’ fans who have had to rest their faith in this team on the experiences of others finally get to experience a bona fide run on their own. It’s like watching a bunch of kids discovering that calculus works!

31. ShangaDoo says:

Hey Boone, did you know your about last night article is on NHL.com?

Notice how they took out Sidney Who and the rest of it? Hahaa

32. Fargo Habs Fan says:

I’m only going to answer #1:

After seeing the third period against Pittsburgh, I’m convince Jaro somehow took it up a notch from his already fabulous post season.  He looked like a demon who had just decided that, no, Pittsburgh will NOT get back in this game.  Hard to justify after all he accomplished before that point, but seriously, that third period of his sent a message.

Jaro will continue.

And a mere four months ago I didn’t think he’d be a playoff goalie.  I love crow.

-Dustin-

“The good thing about drinking during games is if they lose, you’re too drunk to care during and too hungover to care after.” – J.T.

33. Chris says:

You see series upsets like that and wonder, “What the heck just happened?”  The 1993 Penguins and 1986 Oilers were probably two of the best teams of that generation, yet both went home empty-handed.

Can probably add the record-setting 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings to that ledger…they proved that they had the mettle the following years by winning back-to-back cups, but losing to Colorado in the conference finals after they put up a 62-13-7 record (with a +144 goal differential on the season) has to rank with one of the bigger upsets in history, even when factoring in that Colorado was pretty stacked themselves that season.

34. makka83 says:

Finally you admit you could careless about the team and care only about 2-3 players and how they do…

Unlike you, Serious fan and I care about the whole team. We stick up for them from the idiocy of bashing for no reason.

I like all our players.

35. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

good points SF09… it can only be the “Toronto follow the money bias” as for why they (media) are all dumbfounded at the Habs recent brilliant-surprise-success compared to an average season… you add the injuries, and i agree that cost us points, and you mention the positive that Halak was well rested for the playoffs because of the sharing duties (and competition) with Pricey…very very true.  its quite a combination of factors that have brought us here at this point…including the Halak of 2 years ago, the always on the backburner Halak.

36. Chris says:

Yep.  Although, I do have to give Giguere and Hextall major props for winning Conn Smythe trophies despite losing in the finals.  That carries something, even if the Stanley Cup rings didn’t come their way that year.

37. Tis Himself says:

Gosh, I forgot all about that one. Great catch!!!

38. Tis Himself says:

Chris, at the end of the day there is and will always be — knock on wood — one standard that we gauge Montreal Canadiens’ teams by. Did they win the Cup?

39. Chris says:

The fact that an Islanders team, minus it’s only true offensive star in Pierre Turgeon, could knock off that ridiculously stacked Pittsburgh Penguin team sure helped open the door in 1993 as well.

I’d say Roy in ’86 was a better performance for him because the ’93 team was much stronger. But neither the ’86 team nor the ’93 one had to face the President Trophy winner and the defending Stanley Cup champions.

This still feels more like ’86 than ’93. Cammy is taking the place of Claude Lemieux and Halak is replacing Roy.

Dryden in ’71

Roy in ’86

Roy in ’93

All great perfomances and already in the books.

Halak and this edition Habs team are writing their own story and I see many potential plot lines already developing.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

If Markov had been wearing cut-proof hockey socks on Game 1, we’d be fine as well. We lost a ton of games this year because we didn’t have the bodies on the ice or the leadership in the room because of injuries. Markov, Gill and Gionta, the Three “A”s spent a lot of time in the first half of the year being on IR. We lost how many man-games to injury this year from every position except goaltending?

Halak played just the right amount I think this year before playoffs, plenty of rest, a competitive race with Price to strive to make himself better, be better and make himself No. 1 for his country and the Canadiens while not putting an excessive load on his back like Colorado did with Anderson. Right now, all 3 Vezina candidates are golfing with their 65+ starts, the Superstar 70-game goalie is a myth that I hope never gets perpetuated in Montreal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. Chris says:

In the 1980′s, any GAA below 3 was good, and below 2.50 was Vezina-worthy.  Roy’s GAA in the playoffs was 1.93 (!!) in 1986.

In 1993, he put up an amazing 2.13 GAA in 1993 (to go with a 0.929 SV% and 16-4 record, including 10 straight OT wins).  Along the way, he faced a list of players that stacks up okay with what Halak has faced:  Sundin, Sakic, Nolan, Ricci, Hawerchuk, Mogilny, Lafontaine, Robitaille, Kurri, Blake and Gretzky.

Comparing across eras is impossible as the equipment is different, the coaching is more extensive and the goal totals are way down today.  I don’t feel the need to say that Halak’s performance was “better than” or “as good as” those of previous goalies…I’m content with that the notion that he’s been awesome and I’m glad he’s playing for us.

43. Tis Himself says:

There are other variables as well Steve. Take ’86 for example. Steve Smith opens the door and a linesman — I think it was either Ray Scampanello or John D’Amico — sorta decides the Conference Finals against the Rangers by taking out James Patrick in OT at MSG.  McSorley has a legal twig in ’93 and the Kings go up 2-0 heading back to LA. It’s always a series of n-x equations with n variables. There are always multiple solutions!

44. Rainrocket16 says:

I may have to agree with almost all of what is posted here. Halak has given the best performances overall since the new NHL era, he has faced many adversities. I know this, he is unbelievable!! No Matter what happens this off season, we need him back more than anything!!

45. HabsalwaysCA says:

off topic… but will the Habs send this photo and video sequence and ask for discipline ? That piece of dog DNA Matt Cooke wraps his his stick around Gill’s injusred knee and reefs on it , while he and Gill are being restarianed by ther refs. No penalty,  but the most flagrant (even for Cooke)case of  intent to injure I’ve seen in a while….

That shpuld be worth at least 5 games next year…

The Habs resisted the temptation ( as best as I could see and i was watching for it)  to  give Staal’s supposedly cut foot, the even slightest tap…..

Go Habs

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Great post.

47. CHsam says:

PROF PROF- WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ?!??

GOod post.

This is an interesting dilemma for me.  In my eyes, Halak is the only reason the Habs made the playoffs.  His goaltending, plus Cammy’s timely scoring, have allowed us to pull off the two biggest upsets of the playoffs so far this year.  The Habs’ performance up until this point in time is way beyond what any of us thought possible.  Even the “Be True To Your School” crowd.  This spring, Halak goes to the front of the class, no questions asked.

On the other hand, I really believe that Patrick Roy’s goaltending in 1993 was the best I have ever witnessed.  It certainly was right up there with the Bower/Sawchuk miracle of ’67.  I really don’t like Roy that much but he is the only reason we have 24 Cups.

Mike Boone can check back in early June and we can all revisit this timely question.  For now, I have to go with Roy and ’93.

49. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Halak has been stellar…and should be mentioned first, but then be sure to mention every single player taking shifts on the ice, as they have all been stellar as well, every shift doing whats best at that moment, putting in the effort that is post season… I really hope it continues because these gents deserve it… the same way they deserved to beat the PENNS after finishing off the CAPS… but lets not look ahead, take it day by day.

as for Halak, well, i vividly remember freaking out on this very site when he led us to the door of the playoffs 2 years ago only to see HUET inserted and a loss against Toronto…when it should have been Halak back then, but i suppose it took a real Veteran coach to finally pull the gutsy move and put him in permanently.

JM deserves every bit of credit along with his players….

as for talk radio, i heard a brilliant comment (finally) i think it was from Kypreos… where everyone was commenting on the Habs squeaking into the playoffs via the toronto game etc… then Kypreos said ” well if they’d played Halak alot more during the regular season, i don’t think making the playoffs would have been an issue.” and that basically shut everyone up!

as for Boones assertation on lifting Halaks sweater to the rafters…. not yet, but if he continues in his ways for another 2 rounds, then I honestly think it warrants VERY serious consideration.

50. J. Ambrose says:

Yeah, that flash-in-the-pan Hasek: 6 Vezinas, back-to-back Hart trophies, Olympic Gold and a Stanley Cup. Only considered one of the greatest goalies to ever play the game by none other than Gretzky. Yeah, who remembers him?

51. Matt_in_TO says:

Kristopher mentioned earlier a video of the players arriving last night / this morning and being greeted by the fans.  Here’s one clip I could find.

Now you would think there would have been some sort of security present.  Pyatt didn’t look too sure about things at first but he did crack a smile when the PK chant started.  Love the singing of Happy Birthday.

Welcome to hockey in Montreal.

- I Hab Faith

52. FSUPhi1584 says:

Actually now that I look at the stats, you’re right. I didn’t really remeber how good he was since I was still very young in the 90′s and only remember him from when he played with the Red Wings

53. FSLN says:

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for the next round?

54. RH says:

Halak, save for a couple of games,  has been absolutely stupendous in these playoffs and, almost single handedly, beat the Washington Capitals. The Montreal Canadiens, as a team, beat the Pittsburgh Penguins though and, I have to admit, managed to put me in my place at the same time. Having picked the defending Cup champs to bury the Habs in five games, I was astounded at the resiliency these “midgets” showed. I think it was after game 4 when I just decided to just shut up and enjoy it.

Whatever happens from here on out, I have to say that the frustration, that built up in me over the course of the regular season, has definitely dissipated with the play of this team in the post season. These guys have played with heart, character and pride.

Heart: Pierre Mac. said it in the series against the Caps but I wasn’t quite convinced. After this huge upset against the Pens, I can honestly say the Habs are definitely paying the price by taking the hits, blocking the shots and not backing down.

Character: 5 times facing elimination. 5 wins. But it’s more than that. It’s realizing that they can’t just let their goalie keep winning games for them. The leadership has become more apparent as the playoffs have progressed.

Pride: As per Gionta who said ” No one wants to get spanked….” or something to that effect, in the first round. That says a lot.

This, the 2009-2010 Montreal Canadiens have defied all logic and reasoning in these playoffs and I really hope they keep it going. I also hope the Bruins win tomorrow because the path to the big show just seems so much easier going through Boston. In the meantime though, I’ll shall continue to enjoy my crow.

55. Tis Himself says:

It’s been my experience that the best thing you can do with a turd is just let it sit there and decompose. What does it profit a man or woman to disturb it?

56. Matt_in_TO says:

Well I guess everyone got sick of Jaro vs Carey so now it’s Jaro versus all the Hall of Famers who donned the CH.

- I Hab Faith

57. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Well ain’t that the mother of all goaltending controversies?

It’s a great city to talk sh”t in, isn’t it. It must be boring to live in sensible places, if such things exist.

58. Matt_in_TO says:

See what happens when you give up eating meat!

- I Hab Faith

59. Tis Himself says:

Nah, it’s his trying to stay away from Bell Centre hot dogs that has thrown him over the edge!

60. Y says:

Looks like Laraque has lost his mind after being dumped by the Habs

61. Chuck says:

Interesting read.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

62. Chuck says:

Hyperbole… just the word that I was looking for, Andrew. But at least it’s great for generating comments, eh? Heck, his SV% is only a few ticks better than his regular season number. And his GAA is actually worse. More importantly, he’s been inconsistent.

What Jaro has going for him is having been the winner in 5 elimination games. Of course, if he hadn’t sucked in three previous games, the Habs might not have been facing elimination… but that’s another matter.

And as for the “Yeah, but he had to face, Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Crosby, Staal and Malkin” argument, let’s remember how ineffective those players were in their series. Our skaters did a hell of a job shutting them down. Jaro didn’t have to face these guys in full flight. Look at what Crosby did to Ottawa. Us? Not so much…

If he can keep it up for the next two rounds AND we win the Cup, then let the discussions begin. Until then, what he can lay claim to is one of the greatest 3-game playoff performances in Hab history… to that there is no doubt.

Heck, Mike Cammalleri is on pace to easily set the record for most goals by a Hab in one playoff year; are we talking about him being the greatest ever?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

63. Canadiangrrl says:

1) Will Halak continue to play at the same level?  <<< I think so.  I hope so.

2) Will Markov be back and when?  Possibly, but he risks damage to his meniscus, and if he does come back pre-surgery, I doubt his skating will be of the calibre we’re used to seeing from Andrei.

Will the Habs have to change their style to compete against a bigger
    team that plays a more physical game, and are Spacek and Gill and
    others healthy enough to do so?  <<< No.  There’s always the temptation to fix what isn’t broken.  So far, what we’re doing is working.  Keep doing it until it no longer works, and be prepared to make changes if/when they’re needed.

4) Most of the Habs are playing
    near their top potential. Of the guys who might still have more to give
    (which is not to say they’re playing badly), who steps his game up next
    series? Plekanec? AK46? Pouliot? Metropolit?  <<< Pouliot.  And AK needs to play like he did in game 7.  I think Pleks is doing all that he can, which is a hell of a lot.

5) Can the Habs adapt to not being the heavy underdog and can they win a series without facing elimination? <<<  Yes.  Why?  Just a feeling.  And it’s an interesting question to contemplate.

64. bostonantifan says:

No offense, FSUPhi1584, but your comment “The goalies that have been consistently excellent over their entire career have been few and far between. In fact only two come to mind at the moment: Brodeur and our very own Patrick Roy.” gives away your youth.  You are correct that they’re few and far between, but there were several others who should stir your memory: Dryden, Bernie Parent, Grant Fuhr. Going back further, Jacques Plante.

65. Canadiangrrl says:

Gotta agree with the others…no way does Hasek belong on that list.  He’s equal to Brodeur and Roy.

66. Aaron13 says:

Modal average? How many classes did you miss in high-school. It’s either mean, median or mode…

67. santeri says:

HASEK?

Dominant ONCE?

Dude, Hasek was the most dominant athlete in the game the whole 90′s. Six Vezinas, two Harts, an Olympic Gold. He dominated the game, not once but a whole decade. And he was pretty accomplished already before coming to the NHL and won the Cup when he was past his prime the next decade by setting the record for shutouts in a single playoff season. His head-to-head record in elimination games vs. such saints as Roy is impeccable.

FADED INTO OBSCURITY?

Shoo-in first-year HOF when (if) he ever retires.

<ROLLS EYES>

68. Chris says:

Opportunism combined with the fact that those were both pretty darned good teams, which has largely gone forgotten in the mythology of the Canadiens.  The 1986 Habs finished 7th overall, tying for 6th overall in goals scored and finishing 4th overall in goals against.  I will at least concede that they were a surprise given the major tailspin they went on to close out that season:  on March 1, 1986, the Habs were sitting on a 35-23-6 before closing the season 5-10-1.  Where they got lucky was that Steve Smith dispatched the overwhelming favourite Oilers with an own-goal and the lowest seed in the East, the New York Rangers, knocked off both of the favourites in the East (the Capitals and Flyers).  With those three teams down, Montreal was pretty much the equal of any team left in the playoffs and capitalized on that.

69. Chris says:

Patrick Roy was a colossal failure in the playoffs from time to time too. That doesn’t diminish their skill…just means they didn’t get lucky in a league where upsets are much more likely to happen along the way due to parity.

70. Chris says:

I could not disagree more. If anything, we’re probably seeing the best goaltending league wide that we’ve ever seen. When Patrick Roy joined the Canadiens in 1986, goaltenders were often the least athletic kids on their teams growing up. Roy had a large part in changing that, particularly in Quebec. Now, if you go to the various rinks, goaltenders are often the most athletic kids on their teams…it has become a glamour position.

This is part of why I harp a little bit about what I call “The Cult of the Goaltender”. In the 1980′s, you had a few truly elite goalies that transcended the game. Now, goalies are largely interchangeable: Martin Brodeur gets injured, Scott Clemmensen steps in and puts up equivalent numbers. Roberto Luongo leaves Florida, Tomas Vokoun steps in and there is no significant decline in the goaltending.

Throw in the expansion of the talent pool…the Eastern Bloc countries, from which few of the elite players escaped prior to the downfall of communist rule, are now open, allowing goalies like Jaroslav Halak, Tomas Vokoun, Evgeni Nabokov and Nikolai Khabibulin to come over. The expansion of hockey in a country like Switzerland has seen a recent boom in NHL calibre players, such as Jonas Hiller, Martin Gerber and David Aebischer. The success of Miika Kiprusoff has led NHL scouts to Finland, yielding Tuuka Rask, Pekka Rinne and Niklas Backstrom. Even 20 years ago, it is unlikely that we would have seen more than 1 of these guys in the NHL.  So while I agree that you don’t see the elite goalies that you mention anymore, that is because the goaltending on the whole is leaps and bounds better than ever before.

There is also no doubt in my mind whatsoever that players today are both more skilled as well as bigger, stronger and faster than their peers of yesteryear. And they are probably the best prepared in terms of coaching and advanced scouting. However, this improvement is across the entire league…what this means is that the gap between the best players and the worst players has shrunk, so it is not as easy to see dominant performances.

Make no mistake…a kid like Sidney Crosby is every bit as skilled as any player in the history of hockey. But he’s playing against teams that spend an afternoon watching videotape to see his tendencies. He’s playing against opponents who are ALL fitness freaks by 1980′s standards. He’s playing against goaltenders whose equipment is so large that you can no longer see 50% of the net from the top of the faceoff circle coming down on your off-wing. He is playing in an era where the presence of salary caps makes the collection of talent that was seen in the glory years of Montreal, Boston or Edmonton virtually impossible.

While it is impossible to ever know, I sincerely doubt that guys like Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr do significantly better than the players of today…they would still be stars, but it would be nearly impossible for them to post the kind of numbers they did.

71. sholi2000.com says:

Jim Carey

Steve Penny

are two that come to mind.

Tim Thomas= Jim Carey

Win a Vezina, sit for life.

I love my goalies.  But I would never compare Halak to other tenders from other eras.  How good would Halak be at half the equipment size?  We’ll never know.

But right now he’s helping our boys win game after game, and I just hope it keeps on rollin.

He deserves a lot of respect, and I (Huge Price Fan) am happy he’s ours.  Makes for a very interesting July….

They Call Me Shane

72. G-Man says:

So, like, if players are better now (your assertion above), wouldn’t it follow that Halak is better, too? I disregard your equipment argument because ALL goalies right now are using that HUGE equipment. The difference is that Halak keeps making the saves. After tonight, there will be 4 goalies left in the playoffs. By far, Halak has been the best of this group.

73. nik86 says:

Surely the most you can face is 16… going down 3-0 in each series… that would mean each of your victories was an elimination game.

Let’s hope we just win the next 8 straight… that’d be even neater :-D

74. andrewberkshire says:

Aw… shucks.

75. andrewberkshire says:

Brodeur: post lockout. Since 2004 Brodeur has been a colossal failure in the playoffs.

76. Slovak says:

IMPORTANT,

as some of you look for Halak´s nickname, I have one, I did write it before several times. His first name JAROSLAV can be divided in 2 parts: JAR-OSLAV in slovak language in word to word translation it means excatly this:

Jar = Spring

Oslav = to Celebrate

So what if we make a short version and call him simply MR. SPRING – or just - SPRING

There are several more reasons to call him like that:

1.He brough energy of Spring to whole team

2.He can fly like spring birds do :-)

3.He melted the ice cold Penguins and he seems to be able to melt any opponent offensive players out there

4.And it is kind of indian - good karma name

Any other reasons for calling him that way? :-)

77. Kristopher7 says:

Slovak, you are awesome, sir!

78. DrA says:

Spring Champion, is the way I se it.

79. DrA says:

I read or heard somewhere that Mike (the Sniper) Cammy scored the championship goal in overtime at the Quebec pee-wee tournament the year his team played.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

80. Slovak says:

And moreover in Czech language word JARO means SPRING

81. teebs says:

Somewhere Alan Walsh is licking his chops…..

Halak has been great, yes. Putting him in Legend status so soon is a bit of a stretch.

82. Slovak says:

I SIMPLY BELIEVE JARO WILL BE A LEGEND ONE DAY BECAUSE I BELIEVE HE CAN STAY ON THE WAY, WHICH HE STARTED RIGHT NOW AND I BELIEVE IT BECAUSE I CAN COMPARE HIS PERFORMANCES TO PERFORMANCES OF LEGENDS.

THERE YOU HAVE IT

And it is personal thing of everybody to believe, what he wants to believe I choose to believe in him and this team and this belief did not come from the air…

It is the same as I believe HABS found themselves and from now on they are and will be a playoff team that everybody must count with.

And all things I believe comes from what I see, feel and from logical comparison of performances, consequently numbers…

There is nothing premature on it, and if it is – WE ALL are premature jokes because after HABS passed CAPS we all more or less started to believe that HABS can go over Pens… When we compare performances of HABS and PENS how many of us now think they were better team? And how many of us thought before the series started that HABS can’t really compare to PENS???

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT – THEY CAN – AND PERFORMANCE OF THIS HABS TEAM CAN BE COMPARED WITH PERFORMANCES OF THE BEST TEAMS YOU CAN THINK OF…

THERE IS MY POINT WHICH LEADS TO PURE AND SIMPLE – I BELIEVE :-)

COME ON MONTREAL GO AFTER YOUR DREAM AND PRAISE ALL DREAMERS AROUND BECAUSE A DREAM NEVER COMES TRUE TO ONES THAT DO NOT DREAM

83. Sbah Reverof says:

Our man has to prove himself for a few seasons before we can put him in the same company as Roy, Dryden, et al.

He’s had a great run thus far, and his work ethic seems to be beyond reproach, but he’s only just beginning.

Thanks for stirring the pot on a non-news day, Boone!

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

84. joeybarrie says:

I think Jaro has been GREAT. Smart and Solid. But the Defense has really helped to keep alot of those shots easy. That being said, Its true that Jaro has had to face Ovechkin, Crosby and the rest. But let me ask you this…

Ovechkin or Gretzky??? Gretz had 40 points in the 92-93 playoffs alone.

Malkin or Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin??? By the way Sundin and Sakic combined for 219 points that season.

Semin or Pat Lafontaine???  He had 148 points that season for Buffalo. Dont forget Mogilny had 127 points that season for Buffalo too. 275 points between the two…Dale Hawerchuk???  a cool 96. Totaling their top line at 371. More points than The Caps had Goals last season…

Pierre Turgeon or Backstrom.  Turgeon had 132 points that season…

I dont want to take anything away from Halak. He has been great. But the quality of shots has been greatly decreased by our defense and system. He has done GREAT GREAT things. But Halak hasn’t faced players with the skill of Gretzky or Sakic.

As for Dryden??????  Phil Esposito, BOBBY ORR…Bobby Hull?????

Come on, Lets get real. Its gonna take more than 14 playoff games to give those guys a run for the leader…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

85. joeybarrie says:

THAT BEING SAID. This is EXACTLY how those guys got started…………….

Here is hoping that we will look back and say HALAK in the same breath as Roy and Dryden.

here may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

86. Slovak says:

Take it down and compare performances not whole life…

87. Slovak says:

Now we understand each other and this is exactly the thing this article was written about…

COME ON MONTREAL DON’T GET TOO REAL – PRESERVE YOUR DREAM

88. Mr.Hazard says:

Chuck…. that avatar…. My brain is too tired to resist its pull…

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

89. RockinRey says:

Below is a link in the globe of an  article about SYSTEMS which i have maintained is the most overused word in hockey!

What is interesting to note is that most players don’t seem to know what their system is and it is  clearly one of the biggest cliches in the game.

What it comes down to is the Habs outworked Washington and Pit and the goalie played better and had a little more luck.

What is more telling and seems to be a larger part of their success is that the Habs preach team constantly!

Bring on Boston. I think they match up better against them.

Go Habs go!

90. Shiloh says:

I think Halak is right up there as far as goaltending talent is concerned, but that’s not even his best quality. His best qualities are patience and a sense of team. He had to sit patiently while another goalie parachuted into Hamilton and was handed his job. Then he outplayed that same goalie for the better part of two years, but still couldn’t get the majority of games – even this year! Aside from his agent one-time tweet, we heard nothing from him.

Incidently, Price has been awesome in this regard as well – we haven’t had a peep of negativity from him.

I guess I’d say that Halak is very special right now – and looks to be a great goalie for a long time, but let’s wait until he leads us to a Cup.

91. badangel says:

never thought of that!

92. The Big O says:

Right… 1986, people forget how offensive the league was back then, Gretzky finished with 215 pts that year, Paul Coffey led the D with a 138 pts and here’s the kicker, Neal Broten had 105 pts!!  You had 13 players hit 100 pts that year.  In 1993, you had 21 players hit 100 pts.  This year you had 3 this year… so lets compare offensive quality here.  Yeah Jaro has been unbelievable…best ever though?  Bring home the hardware and then you can compare, right now, it’s wayyyyyyy to premature for such anointments…. the media needs to get a hold of itself here!

93. Greg says:

Well of course.  Jaro is the best goalie the Habs have ever had by FAR!

(Note: If Jaro goes on a 4-game losing streak next October, the team should trade him for a bucket of pucks.)

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

94. moonkid says:

I never compared eras.  I compared what Roy did during his Cup winning years to what others did THAT year.  A 2.00 GAA is outstanding when most of the top 5 GAA’s those years were above 3.00 GAA.

In 93, he played against Wayne Gretzky, the leading goal scorer that year (Mogilny) and the player second in points (Lafontaine), and others who put up top 5 numbers in various offensive categories.

I pointed that out because it was said he never played anyone the same caliber of the stars on Pens/Caps, when that wasn’t the case.  It might be more true for 86, but definitely not 93.

It’s unfair to compare eras.  You can only compare what a player did in the context of that particular season/playoffs.

95. Max_a_million says:

(1) We are only half way, this is a crazy comment when you still have 8 games to win.

(2) 1993 – Roy faced

La Kings – Wayne Gretzky, Luc Robitaille, Jari Kurri, Tony Granato, Rob Blake

Buffalo – Pat Lafontaine, Alexander Mogilny, Dale Hawrchuck

Quebec – Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, Owen Nolan, Adam Foote

(3) Roy did it twice for us

I don’t have time to research more right now.

Halak is formidable, spectaculaire and all … let’s hold off on hoisting his bust on the plaza just yet.

96. Chuck says:

Halak both started and played in more regular-season game than Price this year.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

97. moonkid says:

I agree with everyone that this kind of discussion is a bit premature.

Roy faced plenty of superstars in his runs, maybe not as much in 86, but definitely in 93.  Wayne Gretzky, even at 32, is no slouch (He had 40 points that playoffs).  Against Buffalo, Mogilny had 76 goals that year to lead the league, and Lafontaine had 148 points.  Other stars include Robitaille (63 goal scorer), Turgeron (132 points).

We’ll never know how he would have fared against Lemieux and the Penguins, but that shouldn’t take away from his accomplishment.

He had around a 2.00 GAA in both 86 and 93, years when having a 3.00 GAA was actually GOOD.

Granted, Roy did have the help of two of the best defensive forwards of all time in 86 (Gainey and Carbonneau), and Carbonneau again in 93.  As great as Plekanac and Co. have been, I don’t think they’re at their level yet.

Either way, it’s too early to compare.  If Habs win the Cup and Halak keeps up this level of play, I’m good with his performance joining Dryden and Roy as the best.  In what order, well, does it really matter?

And best goalie ever?  When Halak’s career is over, we can start that discussion, but for now, enjoy the run folks!

98. notbigbird says:

Can’t anybody read. It’s not about Jaro being better than Roy or whomever else you care to name. The guy is claiming that this particular run is better than any other. I don’t know if he’s right or wrong, but let’s at least argue about the right topic. There, I feel better now.

99. Danno says:

We are Hab-ulous because Jaro is mir-Halak-ulous.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

100. Big Ted says:

A rarity, but look at the goalies for all 16 teams that started the playoffs. We could have similarly said that Rinne, Quick, Varlamov, Howard, Elliot, or Anderson were all young too, and several of them started the year as backups. I don’t think it’s so much the backups moving through the playoffs as it is a changing of the guard in general in the NHL. Outside of Luongo, Brodeur, and Miller, few goalies in the playoffs could say they had ultimate job security, even Nabokov.

101. makka83 says:

Jaro is not the best Canadien ever. Come on. Are we going to base this on potential? The Habs have a high bar on who is one of their best. Halak is definetly making a name for himself and I expect him to become one of the Habs legends but right now he is not there yet…

102. Slovak says:

Base this on what he showed so far and not only in playoffs… Let’s say, he is on the way…:-)

103. Slovak says:

When the new language is born, it is clear sign that a legend is born… It seems like perfect logic to me :-)

104. Slovak says:

When this happens Jaro will go back to Bratislava and I will handle Habs nets - Slovaks have these “I don’t know how I do it but it works” moves in blood so you don’t have to worry :-)

I will do it for 500 000 bugs a year as a hobby :-)

105. Corporate says:

That is the thing he is on his way. Unless we win the cup we can not call him one of the legends of our time.

106. Storm Man says:

Wow what is next…. Cammy is the best sniper of all time. I look at things this way it’s a team game you win as a team and lose as a team. What if the Habs only blocked 106 shots and not 306 would history have been made?

107. Corporate says:

yes but… in 86 we did not face Edmonton… We faced Calgary… In 93, hte only tough team was may be the nordiques, or the Kngs… Both the Sabres and Islanders did not have great goalies. Even then, I still can’t compare those years to this one because we have not won anything yet. When we win we can compare all you want.

108. Slovak says:

…but being on the way is also great… Roy and others were also once on their ways…and I think author of that post based it on his feeling from Jaro’s performance so I don’t see anything wrong about it, maybe he still did not calm down from what HABS did achieve so far…:)

109. Chuck says:

I did the math yesterday. Assuming Jaro’s playoff SV% of .933, it means that the shot blockers saved an extra goal per game; without those extra blocks we would have given up just shy of 4 goals per game. We would have been toast.

And interesting note with Cammy’s production: if you take away his 12 goals, Habs would be averaging under 2 goals/game.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

110. Slovak says:

What is you name Einstein? :-)

111. Storm Man says:

Great job on the numbers, The team is playing great and are only 8 wins away from what matters.

112. K-hab25 says:

Halak, Niemi, Rask, and Leighton/Boucher, all were there teams backup goalies to start the year. Only Nabakov was his teams #1 to start the year. I wonder if thats happened before. Three out of the last 4 goalies starting the year as the backups. Hmmmm!!

113. K-hab25 says:

Cammy is the best sniper of all time, 2 rounds of clutch goals and outstanding play. What kinda of idiot thinks playing great for 2 rounds doesn’t make a player the greatest of all time. :-)

114. ds says:

Halak has been hot this playoffs but to call him MTL’s best ever is a large stretch.  Roy won 11 or so overtime games in 1993, could Halak handle that pressure?  Roy won 2 cups before the clutch & grab NHL where most teams had superstars, there is no comparison between the two until Halak wins a cup and shows consistency.  Roy was the elite NHL goalie for over 10 years, Halak has 1 hot playoff run and 1 strong regular season.  I’m not knocking Halak he is a great NHL goalie but today if the game was on the line I would feel a lot more comfortable with a prime Roy or Dryden in nets than Halak.

I think if Halak wins the cup he will surpass Theodore but don’t forget Jose took MTL teams that had no business in the playoffs to the playoffs year in year out.  The system is designed around Halak’s strengths and weaknesses, lets hope the team goes all the way but in no way shape or form is Halak the best ever.  He’s hot but will he be consistent?

Also earlier this year when Halak was on the block all that MTL got in offers was a second round pick, thankfully nobody offerred more it has worked out in MTL’s best interest.  The guy is a star in the making but he ain’t there yet, not by a long shot.

115. soperman says:

Halak is great but this argument is pointless until after we win the cup.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

116. smiler2729 says:

How old is this radio guy on CKAC? Is he 100 years old? Did he see Bill Durnan and Jacques Plante?? I think he’s a little drunk with giddiness.

Jaro Halak’s had an amazing spring so far. Just like J-S. Giguere a couple seasons back… and Ron Hextall in ’87… Steve Penney had Hab fans buzzing too one spring.

If Halak is being elevated to God-status already, it’s going to be hard for him to maintain this into next year and now he’ll probably be expected to go 82-0-0 or else the booing will start. And then the controversy will be that Price or more likely Cedric Desjardins should be starting…

Some of us need to stay a little real here…

117. avatar_58 says:

Can we worry about that crap next year? Halak is good NOW. That’s really all that matters. Next year is next year.

118. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Let him be.  I’m the same way!  :-)

It’s impossible to compare players from different eras, end of story.  Besides, it doesn’t matter if he’s the Habs best ever, we just need him to be the best left in today’s NHL.

-Dustin-

119. somerslovesthehabs says:

Halakamania is Running Wild here on the East Coast….Go Habs Go!!!

Thanks Mr Gainey

I have had my Koivu jersey on the sofa chair since game 1 vs Caps…the Captain is with us in Spirit…lol

120. Slovak says:

We can write what we want, Halak sees it simple:

“Every game is a new game”

And I really think this simple mindset allows him to erase previous success or burnout from his head and go on and don´t be fools, he will have more burnouts for sure, but he will come on another day and say:

“You gave me 6 bananas, Yeah? Well, why don’t ya try it again baby”

And it is not question of “if he is hot right now”, he did this stuff so many times, when everybody said he just lost his magic, well somehow he can find it again and again and again and again and again and again………

What you can say about this?? Well yeah, you can say time will tell - but I say…

TIME ALREADY TOLD US SOMETHING ABOUT HIM…

121. smiler2729 says:

Hey, Boone posted this topic, not me.

122. habscout says:

Our team is playing great, `nuff said. Is there any chance that Boone and the boys will do a new Habs Puckcast before round 3 begins?

123. merlin_24cups says:

New history will be made video on NHL.com

124. Kristopher7 says:

Same video, but commercial free on Youtube, NHL.com can gtfo with forcing us to watch ads.

I love these, Habs have four so far, and they are all warranted! Not like the random ones they made for Fleury and Bieksa.

125. Jbell10 says:

When he wins a big shiny ring along with a big shiny cup I will start talking about this.

In my opinion way too early to open up this debate.

F$%* he is awesome though!

126. Kristopher7 says:

I’m so pumped for Round 3. Sunday I’m heading to a friends house for the game. I hope I can score some home game tickets on Saturday, and if I can’t I think I’m going to drive to Philly or Boston to watch some away games. GO HABS GO!

Oh, and the assessment of Halak, I agree with most of it. Shutting out Ovechkin and Crosby like he’s done in 5 elimination games is unreal. The rules have changed since hte 70s, 80s and 90s, the protection on Crosby, AND the advance in quality of offensive plays (with all those damn tip ins, etc)

127. fuhgawz says:

hold on wait a min.  Jaro may be great and playing great but until this team wins a cup and he is in net then we can say this. Props to Jaro he is unreal but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to early to claim this sorry

128. Slovak says:

Let’s make the question other way: Do you believe Jaro can help this team win the cup? And if you do, why?

And if you answer it in a possitive way, you will come to same story as written up there…

129. light_n_tasty says:

Jaro’s playing out of his mind…but, he’s gonna haveta win something before we call this year’s performance the best ever.  If he take’s it all, sure.  Best ever playoff performance.  Still got 2 rounds to go.  Performance has to be measured by results.

130. Kristopher7 says:

Think he’ll get a decreased workload in the Conference finals? Can BOS or PHI even compare to Ovechkin or Crosby? Or will it be the grit that these teams have that will just crunch the Habs and crash Jaro non stop?

I’m worried about the Stanley Cup Finals when they get that far. SJS or CHI………..ouch. :x

131. Castor says:

aaaand the hyperbole has gone too far. Only in the second round.

132. Kristopher7 says:

“What if the Habs didn’t believe?”

Maybe you should star, Castor?

133. petrov14 says:

I like it! LAPIERRE

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

134. Kristopher7 says:

I just saw this video on TV, it was Habs players getting off a plane. One part of the video had PK Subban being hugged by a ton of random people, it was awesome!!!

135. Morocco says:

If there is a link to that, post it. Stupid american tv could care less.

136. Habscore says:

It all started with L’Impact of MTL, then the Alouettes winning the Championship in which both have been honoured beautifully in the Bell Center. Are the Habs next??

– YES HABS CAN!! –

137. Tis Himself says:

Like publishing houses told Mario when approached about writing his biography: Win the Cup first!

138. Habitant in Surrey says:

…AMAZING what radio-talk-show and quasi-journalist hacks will go-to to boost ratings and hits

…include a Stanley Cup accomplishment within Jaro’s so-far wonderful performances …Only Then you can justify such a bald-faced motive to reach Your ‘hit’ quota before Sunday Booner

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

139. SeriousFan09 says:

Amazing how bent out of shape people can get over an opinion that a Gazette journalist passed on from a talk-show host and compared the argument against some reasonable examples.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

140. ManApart says:

Another bitter Price loyalist?

141. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ll get bent-out-of-shape when & where I please Bob …thanks for the hypocrisy anyways

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

142. SeriousFan09 says:

What, what did I do now?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

143. Habitant in Surrey says:

…never mind Bob …You are still one of My favorite posters here

…probably still grumpy wakin’ up this morning and learning of the dumb-ass violence last night

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

144. SeriousFan09 says:

Nah, those idiots can’t get me down too much, especially since all the local Leafs fans are so depressed by their own team and amazed by ours that they can’t even throw anything negative my way. It’s bad hearing about it, it’s even worse hearing about it non-stop for weeks by Leafs fans.

Victory is too sweet right now for my mood to come down too much.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

145. Max_a_million says:

At this point I think it’s possible yes.

He gave them the confidence to play on their toes without having to worry about their goalie making bad mistakes, which has led to the Canadiens playing very well against the two best teams.  I n contrast Fleury’s weakness in the last game had his team worrying about making mistakes and playing on their heels.

Now the team has confidence and momentum, and a 1 in 4 shot at the cup.  As myagi would say “good chance danielson”

On the other hand I think either Philly or Boston will be very tough to make it through, and we should not look past them.  These teams play smash mouth, and as much as I hate to say this we do not have size everywhere and only one or two seldgehammers.  It makes me nervous.

146. Slovak says:

This HABS team has extreme ability to bounce back if needed, they don’t back down after loss or even sieries of losses and they are able to refocus and turn negative things to positive - these are proven facts…

You don’t have to worry about any team, Habs are able to beat anyone – again proven fact – and if they show the best of them as they did – they have chance like no other…

147. Castor says:

Oh I believe….in JINXES!

148. SeriousFan09 says:

“What if these moments meant anything at all?” History Wasn’t Made.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

149. Kristopher7 says:

“What if unfunny jokes were funny?” History Might Be Made.

150. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PartMan, go to Your Personal Page, You will see the View, Edit, Track sections

…Track goes back on Your History Of Posts since We were members of HIO

…it is 100 % SURE You will find I was One of the FIRST and few, then, that was Halak’s defender and promoter on HIO …LONG before I saw Your ‘face’ in HIO PartMan

…before runnin’ off Your mouth, …KNOW what You are talkin’ ’bout FIRST …Boy

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

151. ManApart says:

Geez, settle down. That’s why I was asking a question, because I wasn’t sure if I was mistaken or not. Why don’t you try hitting the gym to work off that pent up anger you have.

152. Habitant in Surrey says: