It had to end some time

Playing their third game in four nights, the Canadiens ran out of gas against the Florida Panthers, who played smart hockey and got very good goaltending from Tomas Vokoun, who made 40 aves.

1. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I hope Pacioretty makes it back to the NHL, but he looked terrible last year. White would be good, and Schultz is still an AHLer.

The last habs player who tripped as much as Pouliot was LeClair. I, in my youth, thought that trade was good because old John fell too much. Once he got his footing though, I was proven wrong. I’m not saying the fact they both stumble a lot means they are similar talents, but if we’re giving Price a chance, let’s give one to Benoit too. I may have demolished any credibility I had with confessing about the LeClair trade, but I still think Pouliot will pan out.

If he were in the AHL, everyone would be screaming for him to come up and save our offence. Let’s leave Pacioretty as the 2010/2011 Sergei. There’s always a hot scoring saviour in the minors, and Pacioretty risks being the guy everyone’s yearned to see for two out of the last three years. He should get a trophy for that….

2. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

i’m only here to offer an opinion on a deficiency

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

yes he’s got the size and can hit (sometimes), he should watch the tape of LAPS last night, that one shift LAPS had about 7 hits in a row, that was a game changer…

4. Jbird says:

Sure.  Possibly after they get beaten and beaten up by ANA, PHI, BOS, and PITTS (Wait – we played them already .. . ).  If they do.

5. twocents says:

Nice return to the mix HP, picked up right where you left off.

You’re a model of consistency. :o)

A little more bang bang would be nice, but Pax and Shultz are not ready. White should be here though. I’d prefer him to Pyatt or Darche, though I do appreciate what they bring.

6. Bill says:

Isn’t Pouliot leading the team in hits? He’s not soft, except when he does that disappearing act.

A team of Moens would be the hardest working, biggest heart team that ever finished at the bottom of the standings. Love the guy, but you still need your Plekanecs and Markovs and Kostitsyns. Oh, and a goalie 🙂

Full Breezer 4 Life

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

when will you see it? after we get slapped around by ANA, CHIC or PHILLY or even PITTS, then you will see it? i think its plain to see already, we have tons of speed/talent but aside from MOEN, LAPS and KOSTY on fwd we have nobody that can hit hard…notice us getting hemmed in our end? we can’t skate as fast as the puck moves and we don’t hit, we chase and it will cost us…

i don’t want the 2nd or 3rd round if it means being outmuscled again…like last year.

I respect the stratagem, its exciting to watch, and great to see the boys stick up for each other, we have something special and its improved, a step forward in maturity…along with the new arrivals (ie.HALPERN),

but i also see that we need just that little bit of edge to make us elite…WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX can bring it.

8. JIMVINNY says:

Apparently, upon further review, it was Tavares.  According to Hickey, at least.

“Tomas Plekanec scored for the third consecutive game while Travis Moen
    was credited with tipping in a shot from Brian Gionta for an insurance
    goal even though the replay showed that it was deflected by the
    Islanders’ John Tavares.”

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

has he disappointed this year? i have not seen him fail yet…but we do see Pouliot tripping over the blue line consistently.

10. Shiloh says:

Beats Bob Cole’s inability to say Oilers – pronounces it Oh-lers.

I completely disagree. Those players need development. No need to rush or fix what aint broke.

12. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

imagine PACIORETTY/WHITE and SHULTZ in our lineup right now… and remove POULIOT, DARCHE and ELLER and then tell me what kind of team we would be… better yet, could we compete with PHILLY after that simple move.yes.

13. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Cross crease pass from Pleks???

The Other Wing

14. C3P1 says:

I agree over the whole season, but right now, it’s nothing to worry about.  on green, we may have discussed this before, but, when you average over a point per game over 2 consecutive seasons – I think its like 150 points in 143 games – you’re nasty.  His defense was awful his first couple years, I agree, but he really has gotten much better as a defenseman.  my best friend is a caps fan and ive seen it.  hes no keith in terms of D, but his offense is ridiculous.  and on doughty, concussion or not, dude is unbelievable.  he could go on a lidstrom-esque run of norris trophies.

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Still, he’s had some over-30 minute games already this season and 2 extra minutes per game doesn’t seem like a lot but add it up over 82 games in the season and it’s close to 3 hours more TOI. The guy’s going to need something in the tank for the playoffs.

I think Keith is the best defencemen in the NHL right now, Green doesn’t have the defensive composure and hopefully, hopefully Doughty doesn’t have any lingering issues from his concussion.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

This one always takes the cake for me. What the skill players had to put up with back then to play the game…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. C3P1 says:

he played almost 27 minutes a game last season, this isnt new for him.  theres a reason he won the norris trophy, hes the best the NHL has to offer (well, along with doughty and green – I think that award could have gone to any of them last year).  I watched their game last night, hes used to it.  he only goes 100 when he really has to.  he’ll be fine. if I was JQ I would have to reisit the temptation to have him play 40 minutes a nights

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

Moen tipped in Gionta’s shot for the 3rd goal.

19. Willy the bum says:

Let’s bring in the cougars…uh, I mean Panthers.

20. JIMVINNY says:

Moen has soft hands?  WTF are you on?  I didn’t even bother to read past that point.  There’s no way anything you said could have been more stupid than that.  You know that it was Tavares that tipped that goal in last night, don’t you?

21. SoupStrainerMcPhee says:

Fuhr’s mask is incredible!  Looks like he should be strapped to a vertical gurney.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Keith will get a rest when Brian Campbell can get back into the lineup full-time for the Blackhawks, he’s expensive but he can at least eat 20+ minutes a night.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. nightmare_49 says:

Frankie The Hands Gagnon tweets  …  Carey Price Back in net. With 6 wins, Price equals the total of the 3 goaltenders of Team Canada in Vancouver. Brodeur 3, Luongo 2, Fleury 1.  ……….  En passant, le Canadien est 7-2-1 en 10 matchs sans markov cette année. Il était 19-36-6 sans lui en 61 matchs depuis le début de 2005-2006.

Credit the Islanders adjustments, notably their forecheck. The Habs responded in the 3rd period. No team wins every period. Win two and you more than likely win the game. That’s what happened last night.

25. Harani says:

Can’t wait to see that backdoor signature Andrei Markov goal on the PP!

And Canadiens record in the 61 games without him since 2005: 19-36-6 (Francois Gagnon tweets)

“It must be love!”

26. Former Jets Fan says:

Ouf!  Gretzky notches his 6th point!

Incidentally, I’ve noticed at least 3 two-handers that would be suspendable offences in this day and age, including Jim Kyte’s (the deaf guy) full wind-up, diving slash to Paul Coffey’s ankle, while the latter was on a quasi-breakaway.  No penalty.

27. CBrady12 says:

Some of you guys are nuts…the habs arent going to win every game nor are they going to dominate every period…not EVERY SECOND of play is do or die…to start saying that one off period out of what… their last 9 is the start of some sort of collapse is really just nit picking…How about we just ENJOY the fact that we have the best record in the league and stop being so worried that every little mistake is the end of the world…lets just watch our team and have fun..and if they start to collapse THEN we can start worrying but for now…GO HABS GO

28. Exit716 says:

Mr. Boone, your esteemed colleague in Windsor, Bob Duff was assaulted after writing a critical article about Mike Morencie, University of Windsor head coach….

29. Former Jets Fan says:

fair enough.  good response.

30. notbigbird says:

Agree for the most part, but that was quite a reversion in period two last night.

31. VancouverHab says:

No — Don Cherry is very much the man-on-the-street in his openly-irrational love for his favourite team: just like most of us here…

And to be fair he sticks it to the Leaves pretty good when they screw up: Cherry is not a ‘homer’ in the simple-minded sense of the word.

32. Bryan says:

cbcsports.ca!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

33. VancouverHab says:

I guess I could simply never get past Don Whitman pronouncing the “Edmonton ES-ki-MOW-OUES.”

34. punkster says:

It’s about time you waded back into the deep end H-P. Or jumped, judging from your use of the phrase “insurgence of syndicated suppression”. Missed your unique views and eloquent turn of a phrase.

Now as to your suggestion to bring up PAX as a solution to the Gs, haven’t we been down this dead end path before with Max? And hasn’t he continued to disappoint?

35. Former Jets Fan says:

And, WOW!  I wonder if they’re airing this game to get everybody pumped for Movember – there’s some real beauties in this game….Charlie Huddy, Dave Babych, Doug Smail (who sports the same style I do!  Awesome), and even Laurie Boschman is sporting the Jimmy Buffett-approved pencil-thin mustache.

36. Josh says:

It should be streamed on cbc.ca tonight.

37. dean roberts says:

anybody got a link for this game? don’t get rds, and wanna watch my boys command 1st place!

38. Former Jets Fan says:

So you really think the Leafs are playoff-bound?  Or just that Leaf fans shouldn’t lose faith?  And if all this happens, does that make me an astute hockey expert too, and a clairvoyant one at that?

And for the record, I’m on his side of the issues a good three quarters of the time, or more.   )Though the way he treats his co-worker MacLean is seldom “classy”.)

39. DearyLeary says:

Gomez as Robin Hood makes sense.  Stealing from the rich and giving to… himself?

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Pacioretty isn’t developed enough to play with the team yet, Schultz has conditioning and skating work to do first before he’s an NHLer either.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. Chuck says:

Wittman was great. Whether it was hockey, football, or any other sport, his voice said “Canadian sport”.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

42. Former Jets Fan says:

I might be the only one who cares, but I stumbled onto game 4 of the 1987 Smythe division finals between my formerly beloved Jets and the Oilers on Classic NHL on the NHL Network.  (Jets classic?  I’m flattered)  The Oilers go on to win and sweep (Gretzky has scored twice in the last 3 minutes alone).  The teams faced each other I think six times in 8 years in the playoffs, and the Jets won a measly 4 games.

All this is to say, though, that Don Wittman is calling the game.  Boy, do I ever miss him.

43. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

face it, we haven’t played anyone yet… yes we are better than last season, the youth movement is making its way onto the lineup, but the transformation is not complete, nor is the danger of  a meddling GM.

you want reality? we couldn’t shine the Devils shoes nor go the distance with Tampa… the real test awaits against the Bruins/Flyers and heaven knows whats in store for us out west…

Its the same old broken record…lots of talent, speed, finesse, but not sustained grit… give me a team of MOENS’s and the cup is ours, soft hands, good in the corners, goes to the net and can drop them.

You want to solve the GOMEZ/GIONTA fiasco? simple, bring up PAX, he has the speed, grit and talent along with the experience and vision…. forget about Pouliot, he falls down too much as well WHITE and SHULTZ will give us a chance against the likes of the PHILLY/BRUINS genre of hockey.

can’t say enough about KOSYsr and his line..brilliant as always, and I like MARTIN’s system with our 4th line which is really a #1 line in 3years, speedy/skilled against the mongrols that form other teams 4th line composition….

Markovs return should spell another insurgence of syndicated suppression…enjoy.

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2:The NHL-Ref-Syndicate will do everything in its power to never allow the HABS to win another Stanley Cup. 3: TBA

44. JF says:

One thing I love about this team is that they’re far more consistent than most recent Habs teams.  With the exception of the Jersey game, which maybe was the result of a long layoff, they compete hard each game.  In previous years before a game, I always found myself wondering which Habs would show up, the ones who would play as though they wanted to win or the ones who would drift indifferently through the game.  Most frustrating were the games in which we would come out firing on all cylinders, only to collapse when the opposition scored first.  This team plays hard just about all the time.  It’s true that the second period last night was bad, but the team was able to rebound for a strong third period.  This year’s Habs seem far more resilient than recent teams.

45. Redlight Racicot says:

…and Gionta as a horse jockey..lol.

46. VancouverHab says:

Dude: if that happens (which I think quite likely) it will be nothing more than confirmation that Don Cherry is (a.) an astute hockey expert and (b.) a rare class act in an age of dross.

47. yukonhab says:

Hey Ian,

I will be travelling to Mtl on Friday from the Yukon. I will arrive in time for the game but possibly by the 3rd period.

Do I have to register for this weekend and what about getting tickets for Saturdays game and the tour?

Thx yukonhab (Peter)

48. yukonhab says:

Hey Ian,

Thx yukonhab (Peter)

49. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

So pumped up for the game…All hail Andrei MARKOV!

Can’t believe he’s back! WOO!

50. Barts says:

Ya, that’s exactly what the last place Florida Panthers should be worried about, seeking retribution for a meaningless pres-season fight. *Yawn*

51. sag says:

Just watched a few hordichuk videos after reading the article.  Nuts is a good description – never stops throwing punches and his fists treat helmets, visors and faces equally…. Hope Moen plays with his head up tonight. I’d put Laps, Moen and Halpern together tonight. Chicken with GG, Plex line, and give Boyd a night on the 4th.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrei Markov Compliation to tee up his return.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

53. Chuck says:

It would be great if they were in 1st place come next Saturday!

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

SUMMIT NEXT FRIDAY NIGHT AT HURLEY’s PUB BOYS AND GIRLS,….TO SEE OUR LEAGUE LEADING CLUB.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

» Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

55. Mark C says:

Well stated, I think it is one of the hallmarks of a good team, being able to rebound from a poor period to win the next period.

56. Harani says:

Pleky was a hotdog.

Moen was a witch.

Pouliot was a sumo.

And Spacek was a Teletubbie! A purple one with a pink purse! LOL!

Common factor: They all hated it. Check this video out to find out who else had bad Halloween costumes.

“It must be love!”

57. Shiloh says:

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

58. WestHab says:

Yeah that second period sucked last night but I like the way they turned it around in the third. Auld kept them in the game and the team made his effort count for 2 points. Nice work!

59. Shiloh says:

Okay, I’ll beware the claws. Should I shun the frumious bandersnatch as well?

60. scrowe21 says:

hahahaha….not bad

61. SeriousFan09 says:

I am peversely enjoying it, with their war on good hockey over the last two decades they deserve it and more.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

62. Former Jets Fan says:

I’ll take a stab at the sign-off pun too….

“So…we see what Subban can do, while Tootoo may be in doo-doo”

McLame comes by his name honestly.

63. nightmare_49 says:

Bob McKenzie tweets …..  Took in ECHL game last night in Ft Myers. Where are they now? MIN 1st rder AJ Thelen on Kalamazoo. MTL 1st rder David Fischer in Florida.

J.F.Chaumont tweets …..  #Habs: Andrei Markov revient contre les Panthers et Alexandre Picard saute son tour.  …..   #Habs: Markov jouera avec Subban pour son retour au jeu.

Jeff Marek Blog: Why you should know the name Ryan Strome. http://tinyurl.com/277hx9r

DGB …..  Shocking Revelations from Kerry Fraser’s new book …  http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/10/final-call-kerry-frasers-book-features.html

64. Number31 says:

Noticed that too. And in the previous Islanders game, Pleky lined up for an o-zone faceoff while Cammy whispered into his ear to do something different. So instead of pulling the puck back, he took the faceoff forehand, the puck went to the net, and they all attacked it. Didn’t score but they got a good chance. Their communication on ice is just great to watch.

65. Harani says:

The fact that the Devils have a league-worst differential of minus-17 is absurd! The New Jersey Devils!

“It must be love!”

66. Chuck says:

It wasn’t much of a fight, though I think that Gill got the first ever 5-minute penalty for holding a player at arms’ length.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

67. ooder says:

btw no one mentioned it yesterday night but man there was one play by pleks that really impressed me.

when the 5 – 3 was starting hamrlik lined up next to the islander player, pleks looks at him and points to hamrlik to back up.

he wins the face-off cleanly and directly to hamrlik who clears the puck right away and thus began a great PK.

after that i saw plekanec pretty much tell each player where to go and was directing the play on the ice.

this guy is a freaking general out there, and ensures that when he is on the ice his 5 man unit plays in unison

love it

——————

88 is the new 23

68. Chuck says:

Thanks! Now I can skip the first intermission and grab a sandwich instead!

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

69. punkster says:

Agree. No needless penalties please as long as the Panthers don’t gang up on him. If they do then send our new fighter, Hal “The Terminator” Gill in to settle the score.

70. Former Jets Fan says:

Looking into my crystal ball, I’ll save everyone from having to watch Coach’s Corner by giving you a run-down of the rant.

A) Cherry offers up a “see, I told you so” for what happens when PK sets his mind to playing his game and not to disrespecting more tenured players, and then backtracks from his previous criticisms by offering effusive praise for Subban’s saucer pass leading to the game winner last night – his “this is what you kids should be doing” moment.

B) Calls Seguin “a real beauty”

C) praises Mike “Captain Leadership” Richards for fighting Cooke 6(!) seconds into a game

D) throws Tootoo under the bus for his charge on “Coliakov”

E) tells Leaf Nation [shudder] to not lose faith as they are still playoff-bound.

Nary an arched eyebrow from McLame, he agrees on all fronts.

71. nightmare_49 says:

Against HIO policy a post on a fighter:

Colton Orr Will Skate With Pink Tonight

72. Chuck says:

Good. Let ’em target Moen. He can take care of himself. It would also allow some of our other guys to fly under the radar.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

73. nightmare_49 says:

Everybody’s favourite Matt Cooke dares to dance with Mike Richards. FIGHTERSHIP! [Puck Daddy]

-The Sabres made captain Craig Rivet and former Hab a healthy scratch last night.

-ESPN’s Pierre Lebrun has a good read on former Senators/Flyers goaltender Ray Emery’s struggles to return from hip surgery.

A mighty feat …  Lightning forward Martin St. Louis is expected to appear in his 400th consecutive game tonight.