In boxing, he’d be called “an opponent”

Raitins Ivanans should ALWAYS keep his gloves on:

1. TOEmastro says:

even kostopolous never got smoked that bad. Honestly, I’m not an advocate of fighting or the staged fights but I think fighting belongs in the game, but only as a justice system in regards to dirty hits or targeting. the ‘hey, you wanna go?’ bs has to stop.

2. Exit716 says:

Shouldn’t he have retired after Chara killed him during his one game stint with the Habs?

Calgary is absolutely horrendous.

3. ooder says:

ivanans was never meant to be a fighter, it’s not his nature.

the thing is he is too big and too slow to do anything else

88 is the new 23

4. stephen says:

Seeing a fight like this leaves me feeling rather conflicted.

I do enjoy seeing the odd tussle. A fight that erupts out of the natural intensity or incidents within a shift feels as integral to the game as the ice on which it’s played, but these staged dances off of face-offs, especially at the end of a game that is clearly ‘over’, mar the sport in my opinion.

It’s diifcult, too, to watch a player, regardless of his jersey colour, get so brutally beaten like that. Yes, he dropped his gloves, but to see anyone so incapacitated turns my stomach. Had his helmet been knocked off previously, who is to say how this would have ended as he fell to the ice.

Isn’t there some sort of supplemental penalty for teams who fight within the last five minutes of a game, or have I got that confused with a different rule?

5. rogus says:

Fights are part of hockey. Always have been, always will be. “Enforcers” are a dying breed. Personally, I’m grateful for “the code” and Laroque being a dud, as it free’s up space for someone like Boyd, or maybe even White down the road. Let the other teams have these guys, one less space for a hockey player. Gotta admit, I enjoy a good fight though.

6. Hammer says:

A stupid fight at a stupid time of the game. I may get admonished for this, but why does hockey need a couple of knuckle draggers showing their wares with less than 3 minutes to go in the game that has been over for 15 minutes? The bit about just showing them what they can expect next game is juvenile at best.

7. Da Hema says:

This must be the twentieth time I have watched Ivanans get his arse kicked all over the ice. And he is an “enforcer?” That someone like him can continue to play in the NHL is irrefutable proof the league simply has too many teams, and not enough real players.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap