How’s the weather up there?

On Feb. 29, 2008, your amazin’ Montreal Canadiens are in first place in the Northeast Division.

If they beat New Jersey at the Bell Centre on March 1, 2008 – and if Ottawa beats Pittsburgh – the unbelievable, unreal Canadiens will be in first place in the Eastern Conference.

It’s all a dream.

Bobby Ewing is going to step out of the shower any minute.

But for now, let’s enjoy it.

1. Mattee. says:

Kerry Fraser is the best. oh who am I kidding, he makes me sick…

2. Cams Habs says:

I LOVE Rick Jeanneret!

“THE POPULATION OF POMMINVILLE GROWS AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!”

3. Mr Wonderful says:

Yes!! Love the passing.

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
    Sir Winston Churchill

4. Mattee. says:

I love today.

5. Keith says:

WOW! What a save. And a GOAL!! Plecs!

6. showey47 says:

Nice shot pleky

7. Mr Wonderful says:

Watching the game on Centre Ice and I have to turn the sound down because the Buffalo play by play guy is just terrible. His voice is so annoying and he is such a homer. What a pro.

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
    Sir Winston Churchill

8. showey47 says:

I hate talking about the refs but kerry F. Fraser, why do we get stuck with this guy

9. Les-Habitants says:

PP to start. 🙂

10. Xtrahabsfan says:

If the Habs don’t get it ,I’d want Ribs to get the big ring de stanley!You know the underdog thing.

11. Les-Habitants says:

Someone might have already gotten to this, but Begin’s out meaning Smokes is centering the 4th line, with Lapierre on his RW and Tender on his left.

Just wondering what Gainey has planned for next season… Since the depature of Bonk, we’ve really lacked a true defensive center. I think one of the main reasons that Gainey let him go (wish we still had him) is that he thought Chip was going to be able to step up at some point. Smokes has been on/off, and Chip will benefit/needs this season in the AHL.

Big game tonight…with the Sens in a downward spiral, we have no more excuses about not getting the no.1 spot in our division

12. tony d says:

at dinner time, excuse yourself and go in the kitchen…swallow a mouthful of pea soup or something mushy…come back and puke that mouthful over the dinner table…then say you’re feeling crappy…the flu or something…tell them you’ll go lie down for a bit and go upstairs and watch the game…. bingo!
    Go Habs Go

13. Les-Habitants says:

Pretty obvious choice: you do both.

14. wd40 says:

you bet fellas. i just think we need to relax a bit on the lack of playoff experience comments. it’s just one element.

15. Rugger says:

Not worried, the west is notorious for first round upsets.

16. dudefella says:

My sentiments exactly. Let’s face it, the Canadiens are a long shot at the cup this year anyway, and Gainey’s plan all along was to be cup contenders in ’09, next year. So any experience Price (Or Halak, I wouldn’t count him out as the possible #1 if Price faulters) gain is just insurance for next year.

17. likehoy says:

laffs are playing tonight…i hope they win!! then miss the playoffs in 9th or 10th and miss out on stamkos and sundin retires cause the ORGANIZATIONS not FAITHFUL to him…

who else is scared that mickey ribs might win a stanley cup before saku koivu?

18. krob1000 says:

Sorry to make it longer but it’s a 7:30p.m. start tonight.

19. Habs-Kat says:

Ugh, what a long day! I wish it was 7 already!

20. Mike says:

At the begining of the season him and graboski were interchanging on the kovalev line

21. Chris says:

You could also look at Cam Ward the year the Hurricanes won the cup (no playoff experience), Giguere the first year he guided Anaheim to the finals (no playoff experience) or Kiprusoff the year the Flames made the finals (4 games, 1-1). In the absence of loan agreements like those commonly seen in European soccer, its kind of hard to gain playoff experience unless you are allowed to play. Win or lose this spring, we win in the long-term as Price gets more time in the net.

22. drive for 25 says:

why would andrei kostisyn ever be benched?

———————————————————-
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
    – Albert Einstein

23. OldGrover says:

Argh! Relatives in town to entertain tonight/tomorrow – gonna be a tough call between either taping the game to watch later or between obsessively checking out Boone’s game log on my blackberry all through dinner…

24. 1010 says:

I would have had a tough time making that trade also.

GO HABS.

25. Will Longlade says:

Besides, if some of us (including myself) had been in Gainey’s shoes, we wouldn’t have traded Higgins straight up for Hossa. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Habs fans who are are still mumbling about what should have happened need to get over it.

26. von says:

“Free at last: Granted parole from Tortorellatraz, Brad Richards had five assists in his Dallas Stars debut.”

That had me LOL’ing

Isn’t it interesting the 2 most useless players on the team have sat out the least amount of games? The real head scratcher is that Smolinski isn’t even French! lol

27. wd40 says:

Roberto Luongo… good goalie, right? playoff experience: 12 games (5-7).

28. Wops says:

I think CHip will be in the lineup next year for sure. He learned a lot in his time with the habbies.

_______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

29. Habs-Kat says:

I never actually disliked Mike Ribeiro when he was in Montreal. He was an underachiever, but he always seemed like a guy who couldn’t take the pressure of the city. His success doesn’t irk me at all. Good for him.

30. howtathor says:

yeah, but he was our marquee free agent signing last summer.

31. howtathor says:

I don’t think Higgins was part of the original deal but came in when Pittburgh got in on the action. Shero and his “hoist petard” lol, wasn’t even in the game until late in the deadline. I heard that Huet was flipped because Hedberg for Halak was part of the deal. When the deal fell through at ten to three, Cristowall was gone and Bob must have been saying #%RQ(^&#!!! I’m sure it will work out for the best. Everything happens for a reason!

32. RS says:

Ever hear of Roman Hamrlik?

33. New says:

That would be nice for him. Dallas is a good team.

Sundin is a class act.

34. nick says:

hey is Grabovski in tonight or will he be in the press box?

Personally , I’d love to see the kid in the line up. He’s shown alot of improvement since his first stint here with the Habs. Most noticeably, he stays on his feet!!

35. CHiggins says:

Grabs is in

36. sanj91 says:

excellent….i agree with the comment before u…he does manage to stay on his feet…he’s got disgusting speed….buffalo is a fast team….we need to be faster….i hav a feeling that our defense will play well tonite…they manage to play well against fast teams….mite be cuz their practising with one…best of luck *not that he needs it* to carey price….

37. frank81 says:

Did anyone else catch SportsCentre tonight? One of the correspondents tried to revive the rumour that Brian Burke would come to Toronto to serve as GM. He also mentioned that the Leafs were interested in Bob Gainey!

I know such reports are best taken with a whole mine full of salt, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

38. showey47 says:

I like grabovski he definatley has break neck speed and offensive upside. I worry about his upper body strength but doesn’t seem to get knocked around like he did at the beginning of the season. I am pretty concerned about his faceoff skills though at 31%.

39. Les-Habitants says:

Healthy scartches seem to be Breezer, Dandy, and TK.
    Begin’s injured his groin, so Smokes is in.

Defensive pairings will be the same…in fact, everything will be the same except that Smokes is centering the 4th line instead of Begin. I like Lapierre on the RW better anyway.

Here’s hoping the Caps game vs NJ is a hard-hitting affair that goes to OT and then a lengthy shoot-out, with Huet eventually saving the day…leaving Martin F. Brodeur exhausted for tomorrow 😀

40. 1010 says:

I would imagine the leafs will sign both of them as soon as the season ends. Everybody knows that everybody wants to play, coach, manage or even just be the water boy in the ‘centre of the hockey universe’.

GO HABS.

41. ZepFan2 says:

“Flynn asks if Halak and Grabovski were so good, why did they spend weeks chasing Marian Hossa?”

Probably for his proven experience.

Besides, just because Gainey said Halak and Grabs are good, didn’t necessarily mean he was comparing them to Hossa.

42. nightmare_49 says:

His faceoff % is about the same as Malkins.

43. showey47 says:

Yeah bob gainey would leave a team that is so close to being a consistant stanley cup contender every year which gillett gives bob full control over to being the next mlse puppet. Not a chance.

44. showey47 says:

Now only if grabs had the potential to be a league leader in points. I hope he does well and can stick with the team. I know he spent some time playing the wing in hamilton, this maybe a better option if the faceoffs become an issue.

45. frank81 says:

The absurdity of the rumour is what I found interesting. I think the Brian Burke rumour is equally absurd.

46. showey47 says:

yeah i know, i laughed for about 10 mins

47. wd40 says:

Mike!!!! lol…Chantal would be offended.

Hey at least he got rid of those ridiculous glasses.

48. Les-Habitants says:

wow…if Mike’s comments are any indication, gonna be one hell of a hard-hitting affair.

49. wd40 says:

he’s the energizer bunny out there, as Boone said, skated 175 miles last game.. hopefully he doesn’t try to do too much. Like A.Kostitsyn, the confidence will come once he adjusts.

50. linp says:

Plekanec also needs to improve his faceoff skills.

51. nick says:

one thing i noticed last game, was any break away – he would turn into a 2 rush. A funny example was when he Sergei had the puck, Grabs was trailing (for a split second)… Sergei went for a drop pass to Grabs, but by that point Grabs was right beside him. I had a good chuckle 😉

52. Cams Habs says:

All right! Quick PP goal boys.

53. Mattee. says:

Wow Mike, it’s still early… lol.

54. showey47 says:

right now he is at 49.1% a large upgrade from where he was a month or so ago.

55. Les-Habitants says:

Man, looking at the schedule that piche put up…I’m not even sure you can call the game against L.A. an “easy one”…they’ve been playing well as of late.

I was kinda of hoping we’d have games against Colombus or Tampa, with the trades those teams made this year I think it’s pretty apparent they’ve completely given up…Richards and Foote were such important guys on their respective rosters.

Buffalo play a very similar style of game, so it’s gonna be an awesome one to watch. Habs have got to keep the “defense first” mentality, and not be drawn into a run-and-gun game. Not so much because I think we’d lose if that happened against the Sabers, but I don’t want to see the Habs get use to playing that way…especially against teams like the Devils and Sharks.

56. Blitzen says:

4-2 Habs tonight. Higgy scores 1, AKoz and SKoz one eahc and Grabs gets the other.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

57. Cable Guy says:

Here’s any easy way for Montreal to win, I’ll just get a proline and pick a buffalo victory and montreal will for sure win.

58. wd40 says:

hmm.. Kovy and/or Pleks are due. Kovy gets one from his favorite spot.

59. mjames says:

If the Habs can survive their remaining schedule and make the playoffs, this team will be battle tested and so will our goalies. They have a brutal schedule. I hope they are up to it. I think there will be a lot of jumping off and on the bandwagon during the next few weeks.

It is going to be a bumping ride. Lets see how many of us can hang on as there is no point leaving if things get rough.

mjames

60. 1010 says:

If Higgins and a combination of three[players or picks] others’ were Waddell’s demands then Gainey did the right thing. Imagine making that trade, not going deep in the playoffs[a vary good possibility] and then Hossa going elsewhere. We’d of been chirping about it next Halloween. Gainey had no choice but to stand pat on this one.

GO HABS.