How huge was that?

No problem.

What a heroic effort!

And guess what?

Jaro is in their heads.

1. Go Habs Go Theme Song Guy says:
  2. Keith says:

Ian, Another guy, who like Chris F. Lee, I’m ashamed to say, hails from New Brunswick.

3. HUDSONHAB says:

A second wind will have to come on the plane, there is no time for rest, the Habs play every second day from now on.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the time for rest was in game #1. We were destined to lose that game and the guys sitting out could have given a couple of key players a rest.

NBC is ruining playoff hockey!

….Hab4life….

4. SPATS says:

I for one (and I’m sure I speak for many here) am not interested. You should stop plugging before they bar you. Your friends from H I/O

5. Chuck says:

Sadly, I’ve got to work today.  🙁

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

6. howtathor says:

Great work Chris! Love the remix! Go Habs Go!!!

Tim Peel use to ref in the OHL and he only sees the game his way. I have seen many good games from him, but when he is bad he is very bad.

He is one that refs the score at times. Makes cheep calls on teams that he has had a hard time controlling. Worse thing you could do is show him up, he thinks he is the show!

8. RetroMikey says:

See you at Copps today Chuck.  Where you sitting?  I’m in section 109, can’t miss 50 of us, we’re all wearing various Habs jerseys and I have RetroMikey on the back of mine.

I’ve got my buddy downloading the game on my PVR for me so I ‘ll watch the Habs when I get home from the Bulldogs game.

It’s funny when the Bulldogs are adavancing, the stands are getting more and more filled up.

That is why this city of ours will never get an NHL team.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

9. Matt_in_TO says:

One of these days I’m going to have to head downtown and check that place out.

– I Hab Faith

10. Ayan_SB says:

Elliotte Friedman reports that Halak’s in for today’s game, and apparently, Tim Peel will be one of the referees today.

11. Jbird says:

Love that place.

12. habstrinifan says:

Hi Avatar, Tension! Tension! Tension! So to ease it all, with your permission, I am gonna use your post to do some Confucius-like musing. I agree with you we shouldnt be here and I am very thankful to the players for giving me one of the best weeks of my life with their elimination of the CAPS. But I do not agree that this can now be considered a successful season becausE of that wonderful series. And I am not blaming the players. Whatever happens from now on, management MUST take responsibility for not crafting a better team during the season. I dont know if it was Gainey or Gauthier or JM. I dont know if it was the guy who handles the cap space and the ‘call up’ allotments. But there have been too many mistakes made in not, as you put it, properly tweaking the team to augment the core of Gomez/Gionta/Camilleri/etc etc. And we didnt have to go outside. White should have been added to the team to add size and character and give the team grit. The decision on keeping Pyatt with the team came too late. Bergeron’s early contribution to the power play should have been seen as just that.. a patch… an he should have been dispatched long ago. We could have certainly picked up a useful defenceman (not a star) with size and less downside. PAC, Maxwell, DAG, CHIP and yes the K brothers… all players whose situations an astute and decisive management TEAM( I stress team) would have resolved with much more immediately beneficial impact on the team and the season. We cannot give management a pass here. Next season will be as dismal as this one if the ‘modern methods’ of building a strong team is not learnt by those in charge… including whoever is coaching. Again I thank MOST of the players for the amazing thrill they gave us in the first round. But it wont make me forget the ugliness of the season, especially the way it ended. For Christ’s sake we couldnt WIN ONE GAME to secure our playoff spot. Successful… NO WAY!! Redeemed temporarily… MAYBE! Well it wasnt Confucius standard but it helped. Damn! I’m still tense! GO HABS GO!

13. Dintrox says:

Held hostage by a network that pays nothing for broadcast rights. The NHL will be negotiating this year as the deal endsin 2011 with NBC and VS. I’ve read a bidding war is in the offing as ABC and ESPN want the rights.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

14. ooder says:

this is how scheduling works in the NHL.

NBC: You are playing at 2 pm

Bettman: thank you, thank you, thank you, gracious NBC for giving us some of your time

NBC: *spits on floor near bettman*

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

15. Chuck says:

A neat article about Kilgour’s, the Hab-friendly bar on Bloor Street in Toronto:

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

16. Chuck says:

The Pens are the prime tenants, so they probably have a reservation clause in their contract. And touring bands will often put up a deposit fee to reserve a night at an arena when tentatively planning out a tour.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

17. Go Habs Go Theme Song Guy says:

For a little respite from the fear and the anguish,

check out this little montage I put together of the last

2 games of the Caps series with a remix of Go Habs Go.

As for this series, what struck me the most about game 1

wasn’t the awesomeness of the Pens as much as the fatigue

of the Habs. I think we can take this team if we can catch a

second wind. That being said, MAB taking a regular shift as a

defenceman scares the living crap out of me….

18. Chuck says:

Man, I sure hope that they boys got to bed early last night, instead of heading out to sample that world-class Pittsburgh nightlife.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

19. PrimeTime says:

The scheduling is not about the NHL or NBC. It’s simple business common sense from the point of view of whoever is managing the Arena facilities. You can’t allow a client to “tentatively” book a date only to have the right to change that date at the expense of other clients. It’s not just the Mellon, it would have subsequent effects to further booked dates of the NHL schedule. The Molson, one of North America’s busiest facilties, can’t just role out schedule changes to it’s spring lineup and no can any other facility. It’s a domino effect.

20. puck face says:

well i already know habs don’t do very well in afternoon games , anyone know what pitt’s like? i think the kittens got into Boone’s medicaton.

21. Chuck says:

You and me both!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

22. Exit716 says:

Red Deer Ronnie doesn’t merit the respect to have his correct name used. He finds it funny that Charra mangles names, so as a result, I won’t bother calling him by his correct name either.

23. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

Mcdonough is really nothing special. not yet, anyway.

there are dozens of d-men like him in the AHL who never get a cup of coffee in the NHL.

when he played for the U.S. juniors, he was their 5th best d-man, on a team of 19 year olds.

Thimmens philosophy of drafting US high school defenceman is questionable at best.

24. Danno says:

That hit.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. danp says:

Yes, eighth seed. The difference between 8th and 5th is not very much at all – a few games on either end of the season and the Habs would have been higher. Consider the retooling of the team – new owners, new coach(es), new players… So we had a slow start. Markov out in the first game? Other significant injuries. A bounce the other way could have easily moved the Haps up in the standings. Maybe the season started with the Habs playing like an 8th seed but by the last half of the season the Habs were beginning to show more. This team can play.

26. DearyLeary says:

Yeah, I prefer the NBC feed to the CBC, myself.

To clarify: We get Bob Cole, Don Cherry, Glen Healy etc.  Why on earth would I want to watch a broadcast that my tax dollars pay for, when they cheer for the other team?

27. B says:

If McDonagh goes back to school next season, the Rangers will still have a decent window of time to sign him after he finishes NCAA and before they would loose his rights. It is not an unusual situation. There is also some compensation I believe (a 2nd rounder?) if they are unable to sign the 1st round pick.

28. habs-hampton says:

I could watch that all night!

29. Ayan_SB says:

Did you really expect the NHL not to schedule the game during the afternoon when it falls on a Sunday? Dude, it happens throughout the season.

30. habs-hampton says:

In one of his rare interviews, where he lets someone like Ron McLean ask “real” questions, why doesn’t someone ask him about the scheduling? He’s always harping on about “the integrity of the game”, or some other BS, but then he completely screws over teams like Mtl and Det to keep NBC happy. You cannot tell me there was anyway Detroit was able to prepare for game 1 (but at least they get some time to get ready for game 2). Maybe the quality of the hockey doesn’t matter to the NBC audience, since they don’t understand the game anyway. The compressed schedule during Olympic years in bad enough, but there is no reason to compress it during the playoffs. To 90% of hockey fans, a Saturday double-header with Mtl-Pit and Van-Chi would be an impressive way to start round 2.

The other problem with the lack of rest between games is injuries. Now, I know that Markov’s injury was the result of a clean hard hit (in spite of who made the hit), but as everyone knows, well rested players are less likely to get hurt on that play.

As for me, a guy who’s missed maybe 5-6 Habs games this year, I’ll check back with Boone and Sportscenter after supper. It sunny, warm and an early spring here in N.B. and I’ve got stuff to do. I’m sure, however, the guy in Podunk, Missouri is thrilled he’ll have something to watch this afternoon (unless he’s watching B-Ball, NASCAR, golf, etc.).

31. PrimeTime says:

Heals is a PA guy and he spoke from his empathy for his brethern in red, not as a fan of “The Habs”. It’s not really the NHL’s fault that Habs are playing off of a tough 7 game series. It would be a little naive to think that they would change the schedule to accomodate any single team. I just can’t wait and see if NBC will switch to other programming if the game goes deep into OT!?!

JM needs to manage the ice time of the “tired’ players including sitting down our #1 Goalie. A win tonight (sorry – this afternoon, ugh) would be fantastic but it won’t happen unless we can outwork the smug Pens. If this can be accomlished then JM can give all players their regular icetime when back home for 2 games. 2-2 after 4 games would be better than expected so trying for 3 games to 1 is a little unrealistic.

Losing today’s battle is not the end of the war! I would save “our best” for games 3 and 4 and if they can manage a win today, then so much the better. Go Boys Go!

32. J. Ambrose says:

That has nothing to do with playing an afternoon game today.

33. Ayan_SB says:

Can we loan Evander Kane from Atlanta for this series? For all the Matt Cooke haters out theres, and who am I kidding, we’re all Matt Cooke haters, here’s the video of Kane’s KO against Cooke. No wonder the kid was named after Holyfield.

34. avatar_58 says:

It would be EPIC if they couldn’t sign him and the habs jumped on him.

35. Nick_Habs1 says:

Interesting:

Rangers, who conducted organizational meetings last week, are believed keenly interested in signing Ryan McDonagh, whose rights they acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez deal, but the Wisconsin defenseman has a fair amount of leverage as he awaits an offer.

McDonagh, who turns 21 next month, would play his senior year for the Badgers if he does not turn pro. If he remains unsigned through next year, McDonagh would become an unrestricted free agent as of Aug. 15, 2011.

Chances are, then, if the 6-foot-1, 215-pound McDonagh, who is regarded as a proficient, stay-at-home type physically ready for the NHL, does not sign this summer, he will not sign at all with the Blueshirts.

And though it would seem necessary for Sather to offer the Entry Level max, we’re hearing McDonagh will make his decision based less on the contract and more on his perception of the Rangers’ program.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/caps_on_right_track_wxsKypBvSnhzRxdkSVEBmM#ixzz0mmmIBatA

36. mrhabby says:

how true/ its one thing for gramps to get it wrong but the dump ass mclean does nothing about it….bush league idiots the two of them and we pay these idiots to speak in a professional format..unreal.

37. mrhabby says:

i live in TO..i know all about it. funny thing is when i was a kid thats all the CBC talked about was the habs and the leafs. the lack of professionlism just kills me.

38. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

5 man defence will be the key to our victory

Any forward not ready to play defence should not play.

there is a reason why I believe in the statement I include with all of my posts.

today, Smart Hockey is the key to our success.

we will not win unless we play smarter than the competition.

on paper it does not add up.

thankfully the game is played on ice and not on paper.

39. Exit716 says:

I agree. I just wish that Charra’s side kick Rod McLong would actually take some time to correct the old fart once in a while. Instead McLong sits there like a grinning idiot.

40. Ayan_SB says:

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but there really is no conspiracy. The Mellon Areana was booked on Saturday anyways.

41. NLhabsfan says:

I watch RDS.A lot of Canadiens fans refuse to watch the CBC pukes telecast.They are a Toronto based mentality and have only one opinion…dislike for Montreal.It shows in their biased hockey programing.Never saw so much praise heaped on the Pens…jeez enough to turn a dogs stomach.Never a comment about anything remotely encouraging about Montreal’s players.Check it out this is CBC last year and every year.I watch RDS period.CBC will never get their viewing numbers from me.

42. Danno says:

All the so-called experts have already written us off. Just like they did agains the Caps. They were WRONG last time because they overlooked the one stat you won’t find on paper. Character. That means pride, effort and guts.

Once again, the experts will be proven to be WRONG.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. avatar_58 says:

By the way folks – perspective: We shouldn’t be here. We barely squeeked into the playoffs and magically witinessed the fall of the so called BEST team in the NHL. If that isn’t a damned successful season I don’t know what is. It was the first year of a rebuilt team that still needs tweaks and some trades.

They may yet get spanked by the Pens 4-0, but you know what? So what. 8th seed remember? It’s not that bad. Injuries to TWO key defenseman. They can whine about Staal as if we are supposed to care, but he’s nothing to his team compared to what Markov and Spacek are to the Habs – a team with already defensive woes at full strength.

The odds are overwhelmingly against the habs so even a win or 2 would be epic. GO HABS GO!

I’m excited for 2010-2011 when Subban and a tweaked team will take to the ice!

44. Danno says:

Don Charra is never wrong. Accept it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. Grabbed The Cup says:

Hard to believe that loaf POS healy said that, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. He’s still on my (expletive deleted) list though, since i puke in my mouth every time he speaks.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

46. avatar_58 says:

Cherry is like that grandfather who always goes on and on about anything and everything. He might call you Bob when your name is Ted. You don’t correct him you just smile and nod and hope he falls back asleep on the coach.

47. mrhabby says:

how far can the boys dig down with our depth..iam always hopeful but something tells me it may not be for long.

ps…i wish i was in charge of  HNIC.i would do anything in my power to fire all of those monkeys out the door so fast it would make there heads spin. cherry continues to be such an embarrasment he can’t even pronounce Halaks name right..what a farce and they call themselves professional….sad, sad.

48. Danno says:

NBC = New Bettman Conspiracy

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

49. avatar_58 says:

If MAB plays more than 5 mins then the habs lose. Case closed. I really don’t care if they have to double shift the rest of them I don’t want to see MAB play against the Pens. It’s that simple.

50. Clay4bc says:

“So a tired hockey team takes the ice without its best player…”

Why – is Halak out?

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

51. Corporate says:

Well that is he thing. He has been playing a lot of minutes. He playe almost 20 minutes last game. Also, I said 75% of the responsibility. I think hockey sense wise he is better than Bergeron at this point. Now what I am worried is that Bergeron will be playing a lot of minutes where I will be screaming at him numerous times.

52. BeachHabFan says:

the scheduling sucks and the boys showed it on friday. i would put both darche and Sk in the lineup, let Metro and his shoulder take a breather (he’s not making much of an impact anyway; start Price to see if he can steal one but more to give Halak a rest, and have him ready for 2 home games; and focus the game plan on aggressive physical contact, trying to put a bit of wear and tear on the pens. let’s ruffle some feathers today and make em pay for whatever they get…

(then again, i am typing this in my bathrobe while martin and muller and pearn are probably getting about 4 hrs of sleep a night working through it)

53. avatar_58 says:

The problem with PK is on the bench. Martin will not play him top minutes, and you have to sort of understand why. I have issues with Martin but it’s tough to just toss a rookie in there no matter who it is. I really hope PK does everything he possibly can to show his coach that he DESERVES top minutes. I mean who else can they use? Top minutes should go to PK and Gorges, with the 2nd pairing Gill and Hamrlik/Obyrne.

54. Exit716 says:

Pittsburgh is the flag ship team for the No Broadcasting Cash (for the NHL) network. NBC which gives the league $0 in real dollars gets to call the shots. The networks that actually pay cash for NHL TV rights, CBC and TSN get screwed in favour of Bettman’s revenue-sharing arrangement.

Canada is irrelevant and a major irritant to Bettman. We are supposed to sit down, shut up and never question the great Bettman.

Who cares if 20 per cent of the league is propping up more than 50 per cent of the US teams. That’s irrelevant in Gary’s world.

Hockey will never be a major sport in the US and they’re just deluding themselves to think otherwise.

55. Corporate says:

Alright… We have lost one of our best defenseman. But we did discover one that can hold his own in PK Subban. He ha the speed and skills and he definately has the confidence. So I think he can fill 75% of Markov’s hockey sense. The other 25% will have to be Hamerlik. he has been weak or tired at times but he is the one that came through when Markov was down earlier in the year. As for Gill and Gorges. They should just continue playing the way they can.

Now for the forwards… I can’t not stand Andrei Kostitsyn anymore. he frustrates me almost more than the loafs. He shows up one game out of 10 and then you don’t see him for the next 9 games. He doesn’t hit, makes stupid mental errors (hence the 4th goal in Game 1), and he doesn’t look interested. I don’t know if it is a Russian thing but I don’t like his lack of enthusiasm for the team. I say we shouldn’t keep him next year. I do understand he has potential and he has a great shot and speed. but it isn’t any use if he doesn’t want to use his skills.

Gionta, Gomez must show their leadership this game. Gionta made a stupid mental erro by putting the puck over the glass for a delay of game call. Gomez on the other hand must just do what he has done all year. Be patient and skate deep in the Pittsburgh zone.

I also believe that Darche should play. Here is what I would do to mix up hte lines a little. I would put Pouliot back on teh first with Gomez and Gionta. he played really well last game. Then i would put Moen on the second line as he was effective there last game. I would try to put in Darche somewhere in there. I would may be replace Metropolit since we know he is playing injured. The 3rd line must stay intact.

Well good game everyone and be this time tomorrow it will be 1-1 series tie.

56. RJ says:

And they wonder why ratings for hockey are in the toilet. Here in the Northeast US the tempersatures will be in the high 80’s. Who the heck is going to be watching this game live? I’m a Habs fan and I’ll be taping it and watching it tonight. Crazy. Moreover, why did Montreal play on Friday when Boston and Philly were off for nearly a week?? Same for Detroit who got screwed.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

57. Exit716 says:

The fact that Milbury has TV jobs on NESN (which is fine he’s a Bruins alumni) CBC and NBC speaks volumes about the lack of credible and entertaining candidates out there. I say hire Jeremy Roenick. I really miss the class and dignity of John Davidson too. He was a true pro.

This is just another reason for our boys to dig down a little deeper and take home a split in games. And besides, the worse thing that can happen is we take two at home and get the split that way.

We never go the easy route, havent you noticed. We have always played up to the competition all year and we always take the enemy to the edge before pushing them over.

If the Stanley Cup play offs were a cake walk we would be eating Sarah Lee instead of Chris.