Canadiens match 73-year-old futility streak

Canadiens-SabresHIO

Despite outplaying the Buffalo Sabres for most of the game, the Canadiens dropped another one at the Bell Centre.
They had not lost three home games to start a season since 1938.

Ryan Miller was great when he had to be, making 40 saves.

The Sabres had 22 shots on Carey Price

1. Neutral says:

you have to give the Habs some credit. 41 shots on net, that’s goaltending they scored 3 goals on 23 shots. I don’t know if price played so, so, or they had better quality shots, we outshot them almost 2 to 1 can’t blame the forwards.

2. Caballero says:

This 40 shots thing is a con. We have a way of making goalies look good because very few shots are truly menacing.

3. timothy13 says:

How many more games until spring? Oh yeah, Christmas still has to come therefore with this L streak I guess I will not ask for a Habs’ jersey. Still when is Martin’s contract up. Who can replace him. Is this team still a reflection of Bob G? But what gives? Maybe like the preseason the Habs will score a W on game 82 and feel good for the summer. Wow! Frustrating beyond belief or what?>?><)(*&^%$
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. rogieshan says:

Too often I see the smaller forwards on our team panic and hurry their shots whenever they’re in the goal-mouth area – Plekanec in particular – why?

I truly hope Markov and Spacek will make a significant difference when they return but I’m not betting on it.

I didn’t realize this is a rebuilding year…:(

5. DOAHABS says:

It just came to me , as much as I think Jacques Martin’s inability to express any type of pulse,and being compared to a Cigar Store Indian is a good one,….he now reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock…cause he give me nightmares…..& he’s system is for the birds… What has happened to the Habs.

6. habaholic68NJ says:

Miller was a wall tonight but we still have issues that revolve about our pathetic coaching. The only line that has chemistry is DD/MaxPac/AK46. The PP is ineffective and predictable. I am loosing my patience.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

7. HabsChris says:

Does anyone have any push inside this team? If so can you please go to JM and tell him gomez is useless and to bench him for at least a couple of games. Every time he touched the puck tonight he either passed it to the other team, to nobody, or took a shot that will never go in on miller. He’s the most painful person to watch in a habs jersey and should not be taking icetime away from DD and Eller who both had excellent games.

8. Michelob says:

I watched most of the game and I was thrilled with the way the Habs were playing. Yes, they made a couple of mistakes, but only a couple, and sure, it cost them. But what we saw, which we rarely have seen in recent years, is a team that was competing in all three zones in all three periods. You don’t win every game when you compete and it’s a shame, but that’s the way I want to see them play every night. They played like this in the first two games of the Boston series last year. Then in the third game, someone turned out the lights.

• danhabsfan says:

Good points… except it seemed they forgot to play the 3rd period. Again, they forget how to play a full 60 minutes (shadows of last year), and that is a coaching issue…. need I say more.

9. AH says:

Two words: anemic offense.

Oh, and now that Pacioretty has been taken off of the G&G line, (and playing well of course), now what do we do with G&G?, they have BOTH sucked so far. Gio as the captain needs to start bringing more big time!!!

Another two words: long season.

10. Cam_1 says:

K like seriously tho..get off Price’s back…it’s not his fault..do you know how hard it is to stay focused when you don’t see much rubber…and you can’t win games scoring one goal..and don’t tell me oh the effort was there..you gotta bury your chances period. I don’t blame the players, the coach JM or the GM PG. I blame the Molson brothers only….it’s their job to clean house….so clean house !!! BG and PG have made stupid moves…and JM sucks…but it’s not their fault…it’s Molson brothers fault cuz they are the ones with the power. Wake up Molson brothers !!!! IT’S TIME !!!

11. showey47 says:

I liked Emelin’s game tonight. Seems to be throwing the body around more and more

12. LA Loyalist says:

re: Erik Cole

1. Now that he has his check, does he not care? Is Gomez-itis contagious?
    2. Is he not with the right line mates?
    3. He cares, but JM is messing with his head?

We have some exciting kids, but man this is painful.

13. G-Man says:

No credit to the great job Miller did tonight, proving why he may just be the best goalie in the league. All whines about how the Habs dominated everything but didn’t finish. Must be JM’s fault, right? Doh!

14. BKAK72 says:

I would love to know what exactly did Bob Gainey see in Jacque Martin. What has this guy accomplished to “wow” in an interview for the job…demonstrate an uncanny ability to under achieve???

1998-99 (1st in N-E) and (lost in first round)
    1999-00 (2nd in N-E) and (lost in first round)
    2000-01 (1st in N-E) and (lost in first round)
    2001-02 (3rd in N-E) and (lost in second round)
    2002-03 (1st in N-E) and (lost in third round)
    2003-04 (3rd in N-E) and (lost in first round)
    2005-06 (4th in S-E) and (did not make playoffs)
    2006-07 (4th in S-E) and (did not make playoffs)
    2007-08 (3rd in S-E) and (did not make playoffs)
    2009-10 (4th in N-E) and (lost in third round)
    2010-11 (2nd in N-E) and (lost in first round)

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• habsfan0 says:

In fairness to Martin & Gauthier, they have 0 Stanley Cups in 60 years of NHL experience between them. Give them time. After all, the Chicago Cubs haven’t won a World Series in 103 years.

• LA Loyalist says:

Gainey went for experience. Forgot to check if it was good experience or mediocre experience.

JM had some really high-end talent in Ottawa and still lost. I was mortified the day we signed him and still am. How many games do you think he has? If we go 2-6-2 or something like that can they possibly keep him?

• danhabsfan says:

I’m with you. I was disappointed the day they announced him as the coach… for the same reasons listed above (although i did not have that list like that… haha)

• HardHabits says:

Gainey sees somebody who coaches a game even more boring than one he played.

• AndyF says:

Pick almost any other coach, and you can easily make a list that ends “…(lost x-th round)”. Unless you’re NJ or Detroit, you can’t put a winning team together unless you’ve completely sucked at least twice in the last 8 years.

The NHL rewards teams that suck by granting them the right to draft a lot of really good young players. Pick any winning team. Now look at their record in the last 8 years. Most of them will have had at least one very very high first-round pick.

You gotta suck to do well…

• BKAK72 says:

JM had fantastic talent in Ottawa. He wasn’t able to do much with it. The point is whether he has a strong (or weak) roster expect nothing much out of him.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

15. deuce6 says:

…and on another note…That Markov signing was another “great” move by PG..The guy won’t play a game this year…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• BKAK72 says:

I saw Markov walking from the Air Canada Ctr in Toronto after a.m. skate practice two weeks ago. He had a very obvious limp.

I guess the contract was signed “sight unseen?”

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• LA Loyalist says:

If Markov is limping at this point… the problem with limping long term is it mis-aligns your whole foot and leg, and your other leg compensates. It is no joke to rectify that even after the original injury is healed.

I’m not a pro athlete, not even close, but I’ve had a broken ankle and now a broken toe and it is amazing how out of wack it gets, and quickly. I’m very concerned about your observation about Markov.

• BKAK72 says:

He was walking with AK46 from the ACC to their hotel at the foot of Bay St. (Harbour Castle Westin) @ noon hour. He had a very obvious limp that made we wonder if he will be ready for December.

I am no Doctor either. I am not blind though. It’s a shame.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

16. Chuck says:

Well, I don’t care what team you are, you’re not going to win many games with a power play humming along at 9% efficiency.

On a positive note, for the entire month they’ve scored 5 goals in every second game. I guess that means that Fleury should bring his armour Thursday night.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Somethings gotta give on the miserable PP.

Hmmm Kovalev would look good at the half wall…Probably more effective during the man advantage than Cole.

But I digress, some more gelling time will fix things I s’pose

17. punkster says:

Another fast, entertaining and exciting game. Keep up this pace and things will turn around. Goalies like Miller (and Price) can be otherworldly at times but the responsibility rests with the forwards to finish the multiple good scoring chances they’re generating. Sabres didn’t have too many of those but they took advantage when they did.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• kempie says:

Cough, cough Plekanec, cough. Ahem, that’s better.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I hope Price shows some of what Miller displayed tonight, real soon. He can do it, just not quite there yet this year.

• Chuck says:

I’d hate to go back and count the times already this season where a Hab has either had the goalie dead to rights or a mostly open net, and missed. Pleks tonight was the most shining example.

Too much stick squeezin’ going on out there.

• showey47 says:

I agree chuck. As an nhl center ice subscriber who watches a boatload of hockey games every night. I’ve never seen a team who misses as many glorious scoring chances as the habs do. Right from the first game this year against the leafs,we missed 4 open nets in the first period and ended up losing 2-0. We could just as easily be 4-1 right now instead of 1-3-1. I guess the upside is we are generating alot of shots and scoring chances where we used to be at the other end of the spectrum virtually every night.

• HardHabits says:

The McCormick fight turned the game around.

18. Colomb27 says:

Replace Gomez… Can Calvillo skate?

19. savethepuck says:

A lot of comments from people who didn’t watch the same game I did. We didn’t lose to Buffalo tonight, we lost to Ryan Miller. he stood on his head. When you have a goaltender playing like that, you need a few bounces, and we didn’t get any. He was even stopping pucks he had no idea where they were. The questionable rebound by Price on their 1st goal changed the momentum, but they still didn’t outplay us after that. On a positive, the DD-MaxP-AK line looks great, nobody had that pencilled in in their proposed lines. I thought this was PK’s best game too, he made a lot of defensive mistakes the first 4 games, but not tonight.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Colomb27 says:

Fundamental mistakes as well.. The icing and the collapse with 6 seconds left… ugh. Reminded me of Toronto’s penalty kill goal in game 1. Those goals KILL teams.

I am going to check back in two or three weeks, to see if we still have our sails on in reverse! Good night!

21. The Dude says:

If Sean Avery was a Hab tonight we would of won!

22. timothy13 says:

Okay, something has got to give. I said that and now I will not panic. Yet. The Habs for the last few years have been a team often in need of certain wins after a L streak and they come out like gangbusters. Out shoot the opposition and then fail to command W on the final score sheet. What is that about? The mark of a good team or better team is that they can pulloff a win after being out shot like the Sabres were tonight. This happened several times last season and the season before that so again what gives?! Is it the coach? Bad GM decisions? The players try too hard and still L or no longer care? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that does not make sense? This team showed signs in the preseason of not clicking and that is obvious at this early stage of the season. A new coach, an addition to D, Markov?, Gill?, Price-maybe should start scoring as well…………but this is not going to get any better with Thurs against Pitts and the hot Maple Leafs on Sat. These two teams have the capability of destroying the Habs, again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not buy the argument that the Habs faced a hot goalie. Wrong. Others teams pulled together and get a big win when they needed it and the Habs needed a W tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Again, what gives???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^%$#@!*((((_)(*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. DOAHABS says:

Don’t they have defibralators in every arena nowadays.? Someone should try them on a few of the Habs & especially on Martin,..the Cigar Store Indian,…does anything make this guy get animated ,Worst start since 1938 ?
    ———————————————————–flat line DOAHABS

24. Mattyleg says:

Ahhh…. (sits back, puts hands behind head)
    Just waiting for all those people who are saying “I won’t be back” and “this is the last game I’ll watch” to live up to their promises.
    It’ll be good to have a bit less whining around the place…
    (drinks smugly from bottle of St. Ambroise)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. novahab says:

Come on boys give your heads a shake. Buffalo is suppose to be one of the fav. to win it all. This team with three new D-men to the NHL completely controlled this game. Hey how many of these game have we won and every one is ashamed of the win. If they keep playing like this and when they get Markov and Spacek back this is a cup contender.

I see a lot of positives. By the time November rolls around the Habs will be 28th over-all. And that’s where they should stay for the rest of the season if they ever want to build a champion.

But the pessimist in me suspects the Habs will trade both a 1st and a 2nd round pick for another rental or two for a shot at grabbing that last play-off spot. With their luck, or shall I say ineptitude, they’ll claw their way back up to 18th and miss the play-offs in the last game losing to the Leafs who will win the division.

27. OneTimer says:

Our no. 1 line tonight: MaxPac-DD-AK
    Our no. 2 line tonight: Cole-Pleks-Eller
    Our no. 3 line tonight: Gio-Gomez-Moen/Darche

what do we do when Cammy comes back? Despite the loss, the first two lines looked awesome tonight.

28. slapshot777 says:

Habs play a good game all around except for the brain cramps by Price and Gorges. Price looks like he is in a daze throughout the games so far.

BS whistle by the refs, giving a stoppage in play because kaletta broke a blade, that total BS. They also give Buffalo another break on an icing, the refs go over to check to see who was on the ice. Wasn’t that the job of the back official to watch who was trying to get off and who was coming on the ice. It was as good as a timeout for Buffalo.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

29. Sal says:

On the bright side the Broons lost tnight, and, played like the goofs they are. The Vanek goal was a killer. How does that go in? Nobodies going to tell me that was exactly where he was shooting the puck!F**cken hate Miller…pucks hit him even when he doesn’t know where the puck is!

Sal from the Hammer

30. deuce6 says:

Our PP is horrible…Puck movement is erratic and nobody is willing to shake off a check…Having Gomez blindly throwing it away time and time again, is getting really old…Either get him out of MTL or reduce his minutes..He creates squat out there…The guy can skate, but that’s about it..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

One goal a game Martin. His team plays like they practice. Geoff Molson, please bring in a man or men that can put this mess together. Jacques Lemaire is looking for a job!

This team will never start winning games playing this crap.!

32. thor1470 says:

How bad are we missing Kirk Muller at times like these?

• Ian Cobb says:

Two years ago Muller we had the best power play in the league, Martin never had a thing to do with it. Get rid of these bums.

• Chris says:

Two years ago they had Markov and had the best power play in the league.

Last year, they didn’t have Markov and struggled until they brought in Wisniewski.

This year, they don’t have Markov and they’re struggling.

I think it might be Markov that is missing. :)

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Muller isn’t the key to our cruddy PP. Losing Wisniewski is. Year after year, since the loss of Streit, we have had to go out and find someone who could run the PP in Markov’s absence: Schneider, Bergeron, then Wiz. This season Gauthier decided NOT to do anything about that gaping hole (unless Campoli was the answer – we won’t know that for months). You see the results: a team that has relied on the power play as its ace in the hole for years and years, now has none.

• Kooch7800 says:

our powerplay is embarrasing. 1 for 22 …..that is not good

33. Montrealer2 says:

So , Who’s fault is tonight……….EXCUSES,this team stinks,but losing proudly since 1993

“I’m not blind,I’ve just seen enough”

34. LL says:

The long and the short of it is this; Miller was the best player on the ice. Better than anyone on his team or ours. Sh!t happens.

35. topher5468 says:

Goodnight, I dont feel like waiting 5 minutes for the page to re load. website sucks, Habs suck, Gomez sucks and Price, well, he’s no Ryan Miller, never will be but he’s ours so I hope he gets his act together

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

36. tony d says:

Cole has got to be the biggest disappointment so far….very sad….kinda knew after the 1st that with all those chances, it just wasn’t meant to be 2 night

37. Bill says:

At least they played well. If they can keep doing that they’ll win more than they lose. I wouldn’t say Price looked weak, just kinda ordinary. The first goal was a boo-boo but the second was labelled.

Loved Max with AK.

Full Breezer 4 Life

38. t1tan5 says:

You don’t finish, you don’t win. That’s exactly what happened tonight.

39. JasonM says:

These are the type of games that are the most frustrating to watch.

40. samTHEman says:

Cole is this year’s version of Pouliot. He fell atleast 10 times.

———————————————————-
    It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

41. Cam_1 says:

Bye bye baby bye bye…….and that was all she wrote !!! Wake up Molson brothers, please wake up….before it’s too late !!! Wake the F up !!!!!!!!!!!

42. durocher says:

Our younger players (Max Power, DD, Diaz, Emelin) have been our best players. The vets (Cole, Gomez, Gio) are the ones who have been most disappointing.

43. SnowManHabs85 says:

Now can we trade Gomez??

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

44. The Dude says:

Don’t worry gang Pittsburgh only has one player left “Neal” and will get a point at least!

45. AK_PK_Usay says:

Great game. We seem to have quite some offensive punch, I for one think Eller instead of DD would make for a stronger line, but ahh well, JM loves his lil smurf.

PS we lost because JM does not know how to field a PP for his life. STOP putting forwards on the point, both AK and Plexxx will bring more to the PP from their natural positions..

ALSO when team needs a goal, i want to see less gomez and gionta on the ice and more of the lines that are actually dangerous.

• Kooch7800 says:

I disagree, DD has unreal offensive instincts. Eller is good but he doesn’t have the offensive skill that DD has.

DD lead the AHL in scoring with Max P for a reason along with leading the habs last year from the all start break on. DD played 43 games last year and had 23 points. Eller had 17 points in 77 games

46. ffenliv says:

Hard to be excited to come home from work for this. I live in Alberta, and work until 530, so I always miss the start of games. I come tearing into the house to get the TV on and see one of the following

1) the team scores buckets, but can’t get goaltending, or any defense

2) the team takes loads of shots, but can’t get ANYTHING in the net, including some absolute gimme tap-ins

3) The team neither scoring, nor getting goaltending.

I’m out of town for a few days, and was gonna try and find somewhere to watch Thursday’s game, but I don’t think I’ll bother.

47. Mondou6 says:

Stick a fork in this team.

48. hablifting says:

Uhhg. I’m done watching this team for a while. No insult intended to the players, they are trying, but the management of this team is a disaster. I would rather watch 6-4 losses then these boring ass games.

49. Wayne says:

On the bright side – we haven’t drafted first overall in a long time.

50. sampson12 says:

I got the Flyers game on my TV, and the habs on my laptop (somehow my roommate decided on a cable package that included only one sports channel.. sportsnet).
    It’s too bad the habs are unable to get their hands on players like Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. Giroux is a legit all-star and Couturier looks like a stud, showing his scoring touch tonight. Those names would look nice on a habs jersey and continue the tradition of French-Canadian players leading the habs to the cup. I know it shouldn’t matter too much where a player is from as long as they have talent and can help win games, – and for the record I’m from Nova Scotia and English is my first language – but tradition is nice. I love tradition. When I play GM mode in NHL12, I draft French Canadians.

51. Propwash says:

How dare the net be open.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

52. Mattyleg says:

Proud of the way we played tonight.
    Unlucky, but continue like that, and we’ll win more than we lose by a long shot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. mdl says:

Deserved to win tonight. Good signs in both this loss and the one to Colorado.

I am really not worried about the forwards. Lots of great chances tonight that were not buried but Miller was forced to make some amazing saves too. The D was much better. Let the young guys develop. Be patient.

The line juggling during the game (because of the PP according to Boone) really is useless. Play the lines intact during the PP. Changing the lines for the PP obviously is not working.

I never want to see Gomez on during a PP again. Waste of space! Most expensive 4th line center in history! Leave Moen with Gomez, move Gionta to a line with a real center (Eller?) and then just use the top two or three lines intact on the PP.

Love the DD and Pleks lines the last two games. Eller is really coming on! Once Cammy is back let Eller center Gionta and someone else with hands (trade?) and we will have three scoring lines and Gomez can play a checking role with Darche and Moen. The only thing he is going to be good for on this team. Let him use his vaunted Devils responsible center skills checking.

54. danhabsfan says:

This team has been shameful to watch this year. Loud boos should be ringing in the Bell centre right now!

55. durocher says:

The silver lining is that if we keep losing, we may be forced to do something with Gomez

56. JIMVINNY says:

That was the most ridiculous dive I’ve ever seen. What a douchebag.

57. LL says:

Gionta misses at least 5 opportunities a game. Thank G-d a road game next.

• Kooch7800 says:

what about the pleks miss with no one on him and miller laying down. he just had to raise the puck

• LL says:

Unfortunately, there were many missed chances by everyone.
        But of course it’s always Prices’ fault even if the team scores only 1 goal. But what a beauty that was by Diaz.

• Kooch7800 says:

whenever you don’t capitalize on that many chances it usually equals a loss.

Price can’t score and if we don’t fix out PP we will be in for a long season. Hopefully Markov is back in November or we could be in big trouble.

I am sick of watching Gomez float around and toss the puck away on pp’s. He must be just done cause he looks no better to me this season

58. Rob D says:

Anemic offense. They have one sniper and he’s streaky named Cammy.

Scoring more than 2 goals most nights will be a chore. Not to say they won’t improve with time but right now it’s a painful road.

59. DEANDALLEY says:

Carey Price has nothing to be ashamed of tonight!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• ooder says:

yup having the game spent in the oppositions zone and then letting in 2 goals out of nowhere… nothing at all

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

60. Nina76 says:

5power plays not one goal what does it take for the GM to see this……………..best goalies in the league.THOMAS & MILLER………………… they have played a good game except for the power play if this had of been played against another goalie ecxept Thomas I think we could have one this one…………I am not sure Carey is on his game yet to much open net on the Buffolo 2nd goal…….Go Habs Go !!!!!!!!!!!!

61. durocher says:

Perfect pass by Stafford, very pretty

62. DEANDALLEY says:

Great save Carey

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

63. Mondou6 says:

The worst part is that 90% of this roster is signed through the next season or two.

64. Propwash says:

Terrible pad save.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

65. LL says:

Our team looks good going forward. Some tough breaks. A quick goal by Pleks and all is well.

66. DEANDALLEY says:

20 shots now Boone.

U & Fisher need to retire .

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

67. Propwash says:

Price didn’t make that save flashy enough, he stinks.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

68. Maksimir says:

Oh well -off to bed… too bad.. Habs played really well tonight but damn Miller is good.

69. Sakus Evil Twin says:

And just to rub salt in the wound… GUI! Scores tonight.

This is why I Buffalo is one of the top 3 teams I H.A.T.E. to see play the Habs. It makes me murderously angry.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

70. durocher says:

Who is our PP coach?

71. hablifting says:

This team is in dire need of an NHL calibre coach. This is sucking the life out of me. So very terrible.

72. Mattyleg says:

Sorry everyone, I guess the sky IS falling.
    We’re terrible.
    We suck.
    Our coach blows.

Remind me to never watch a game with you again.
    Bunch of complainers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. Gerry H says:

Right here.

74. Trisomy 21 says:

Put dis one in the books I’s thinks!