Historic!!

Against the Stanley Cup champs … and the referees!

1,198 Comments

1. zozotheclown says:

Lats played well after being traded because he was angry, he, for once, was motivated and actually worked hard and played properly. He’ll settle in eventually, as he did in the tail end of the season, and become complacent, as he was in Montreal. Pouliot went through the same thing, initial success followed by the return of old habits. The only chance any of these players have is if they realise why they were traded and completely change their work habits for the better. Sergei and Lats were given ample time in MTL to suceed, both had first line minutes at one point in their careers, more so Lats then Sergei, but in both cases neither rose to the occaision. Sergei was told to get some tutellage from Boucher in the AHL at the season’s start, he didn’t go, I would have cut him then and there, he’s been given ample chances, managed to get significant game time during the season, and still showed nothing but attitude and minor point production. Both these guys had their chances, now its time for them to move on and learn from their mistakes.

2. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Thanks Rick!

3. K-hab25 says:

So Lats became instantly talented enough after the trade to MIN, please. He was being used, much like Sergei, in a 3/4 line checking role which didn’t take advantage of there offensive skills. IMO neither one was ever given a legit shot at being a top 6 guy on the Habs and like Lats, Sergei will show his true talent in his next stop. Then when he does people will say, well he wouldn’t have done it Montreal, like they said about Lats, to which I say bull***t.

4. Hammer says:

have you ever heard of personal responsibility? SK hasn’t!

5. Exit716 says:

Who were the other teams bidding for Martin’s services?

LMAO.

Gainey was short-sighted as usual.

Let’s let Boucher walk for nothing. Hell, we can always rehire Michel Therrien after all.

Gauthier won’t let Martin go, not after Martin has made Gauthier and Gainey’s train wreck of a team building exercise look semi competent.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Pouliot has basically had his best NHL season ever this year since joining Montreal, but where did all that good progression go? He’s like half of what he was months ago when the talk was he and JM were speaking the same language, now what? Boucher’s handle on player development this year reads much better than JM’s looking at how the Bulldogs players improved compared to how ours did.

Some of the veterans got better on their stats, but we have a very solid crew of professionals in the veteran ranks with no enigmas really, but that’s why a team has a core of veterans, they’re pros and they don’t need a lot of hand-holding by the coach or direction. The young guys generally take up the majority of the coach’s workload because they need to be developed and I am just very underwhelmed, looking at the last few years of variable progression of the young players and noticing that again, we’ve had a year of very spotty player development. I’m tired of every team besides ours having young players who keep getting better, while ours just keep going up and down.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

7. Chris says:

Ah, nothing like debating against reasoned responses like this.  Well played.

Sorry for having a different opinion from you.  Must make me a terribly stupid fan.

8. B says:

I think Pouliot was a disappointment last season (and earlier this season) and definitely improved in Montreal this season. Besides a couple young skaters and the young goalies, there are older skaters who also improved their stats over last season.

Like I said, I am not big fan of Martin. It just seems that you are now shifting your argument, trying to credit anyone else for anything positive and laying all of the blame for any negative or backward steps onto Martin. Do you really have to stretch the truth or work that hard to find criticism with Martin?

9. habs4ever2894 says:

I was just thinking the same thing today… they should definitely use Fix You it has a much better feel.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Pyatt spent half his year in the A than the NHL this year so that would be JM taking credit for Boucher’s work if anything, Pyatt was initially under Boucher and I would say his improvements came from there. Boucher also being the guy who initially turned things around with SK after the demotion and reported the kid was good for NHL action. I’ll give Gorges since he’s just around that age but has anything really changed with him since last year? He’s always been a guy to give 100% and hasn’t had trouble since he got here. Not one skater who had trouble last year besides OB got better this one is more my issue I guess. JM came in with talk about how he’d help the young players, well besides the ones who were getting better by themselves, what’s he done to help out the guys with trouble?

Halak got better this season, but I think that owes more to his own commitment and the goaltending coach than JM having long sessions with him, Price, well yeah his stats are up and in terms of his game he’s better than he was in the last half of the 09 season but he still isn’t where he was in the first half of 08-09.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. B says:

Gorges? Pyatt? I don’t agree that Pouliot has been worse than he was in Minnesota either.

You did say “skaters”, but it is worth mentioning the two young goaltenders too. Halak’s season speaks for itself, while some might even argue Price was also better this season than last. Despite fewer starts and wins, Price’s save% improved from .905 to .912, unfortunately for him, Halak was better.

I am not a big Martin fan, but he has not been a total disaster.

12. Norcal Habsfan says:

LOL . True  that.

I’ll bet however that the Pens know about Metro’s injury and don’t hesistate to punish his shoulder.

13. zozotheclown says:

Although I agree JM hasn’t been very successful with our youth, not everything can be pinned on him. I think Lats and Sergei were cases very few coaches would have had success with, they’re both players who want top 6 minutes but don’t quite have the latent yet, and lack the proper attitude to play bottom 6. AK isn’t what I would call youth anymore either, although still young, he should be past the point where he needs the nurturing some of kids seems to need, so his lack of success is on himself, and the injury. Plus Pyatt has done quite well under JM, just his kind of player it would seem.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

If that happens I will lose it, without a doubt, I will ****ing lose it, this would be like trading Subban and Markov this summer for Lecavalier.

You want Boucher to move up in his career, kick JM off the job before he ruins the team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

The ability of JM to work with young players was obviously a clever rumour began by him to see he gets a job. I know most people don’t have much to think Sergei right now but let’s be honest, how many skaters 25 or under got better under JM this year? With the exception Ryan O’Byrne, not one.

Lapierre had his head up his *** until the playoffs started basically. AK, well we all know the story there. Sergei? Well that’s been a topic of some debate in the last 48 hours. The worst edition of Gui ever was tossed aside in favour of Pouliot and well, Pouliot after initial success is doing what now?

For a coach who was supposed to work well with young players, he’s gone 1 for 6 this season on the skaters, that’s **** by anyone’s standard. The count has to swallow his pride and work with what he has, anyone here who thinks we can make it with a short bench for the rest of this thing is welcome to believe that but it’s already starting to backfire and we’re only in Game 4 of the Semis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. ajpursell says:

Everyone is replaceable. This is season is proof of that.

17. habsman-itoba says:

I figure the best thing to target is the back of the net.

18. oshawahabsfan says:

The problem is they changed the players entrance song to a crappy U2 song. The clip from Fix You was so much more inspiring. The only U2 song I would consider for player entrances is used by the Canucks for that purpose

19. oshawahabsfan says:

20. merlin_24cups says:

Has anyone read Elliot Friedmans 30 thoughts column today? #29 just says bad taste. If an NHL coach was the White House press secretary on Nov. 22, 1963, he would announce John F. Kennedy as “day-to-day with an upper body injury.”

21. HFX-HabFan says:

That was just one guy in a Cessna.  P.K. is fine.

22. G-Man says:

Boucher will probably be gone by draft day.

23. G-Man says:

What potential? He produces like a 3rd or 4th liner. His attitude stinks. He’s not making the playoffs commitment everyone else on the team has. He has the potential to play in the KHL.

24. light_n_tasty says:

Probably the better play is to target Crosby’s knee, maybe Malkin’s head, and perhaps Gonchar’s shoulder.

25. G-Man says:

SK has mismanaged himself. Every player is responsible for his own behavior and attitude. They aren’t 5 year old babies, they’re supposed to be professional. SK simply isn’t and doesn’t give a $hit. I wish I could display such lack of interest at my workplace for $500K + per year.

The way both brothers are playing right now when it counts, how can they be considered assets?

26. wd40 says:

Any news on Subban?  Was he playing hurt last game as some on here suggested?

27. Fansincebirth says:

Thanks Chris….appreciate it.

28. kempie says:

Regarding SK74, I think I have the solution. We should consider trading him. Maybe for Backstrom or Malkin.

29. mbplekfan says:

By mismanaging SK the coaching staff has thrown two players off the team. Andrei doesnt have the character to be a professional by himself and he relies on Sergei for alot off of the ice.

Both players will likely bolt for the KHL next year. We free up cap space but lose two assets that cant be replaced.

Terrible player management by JM.

30. habsoul says:

Don’t really need to state the obvious, but what the hell: This game is a must-win. Coming back from a 3-1 deficit to Washington was a miracle. Climbing out of a 3-1 hole against the Stanley Cup champs will require divine intervention or perhaps an airplane crash.

That said, Montreal is giving the Pens all they can handle in this series. The Habs played fantastic defense again in game 3 and Jaro was Jaro. But Pittsburgh showed they can play some defense as well and Fleury had a tremendous game.

Montreal’s coaching staff needs to make some offensive adjustments. The defensive philosophy is working but the Habs are in dire need of scoring from someone not named Cammalleri or Gionta. Andrei Kostitsyn and/or Benoit Pouliot need to step up—and tonight would be a good time for that to happen.

I’m hoping we’ll see more of PK in the offensive picture with set plays that take advantage of his booming shot and skating skills.

31. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

I hope she gets well soon!

32. kempie says:

BTW, I really like the piece you wrote on the topic the other day. I think you nailed it 100%.

33. kempie says:

Yep, it’s a rough game out there. Things happen.

34. punkster says:

Triple, that’s the best thing you’ve said about this affair yet. You are correct in saying we can’t afford to lose a youngster with this potential. I have disagreed with you on how this has been handled but the end result, losing a young potentailly good player, is tough to swallow. But what’s done is done so hopefully we get something of value in a trade. Or, saints preserve us, SK is given another chance over the summer to re-think his future here.

35. Fansincebirth says:

My wife has the exact same thing right now and it’s really messing with her.

Don’t expect to see her out on the ice any time soon :o)

36. kempie says:

I can live with JM as GM for a couple of years if it means Guy is our coach.

37. Fansincebirth says:

You never know where and when a slash to the injured foot may come from….accidently, of course

38. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

No doubt about it… banished. JM hates SK and won’y play him again.

39. B says:

I would hate to see Boucher go. Is it likely they would replace Martin after his team has gone into at least the second round of the playoffs? If they manage to come back and beat the Penguins then his job here next season would be even more secured.

40. punkster says:

Who’s throwing in the towel?