Historic!!

Against the Stanley Cup champs … and the referees!

1,198 Comments

1. kempie says:

I doubt we’ll ever know the real truth, but yeah it must be something pretty bad because somebody in this equation must be very wrong. With the precious little information I have I have no choice but to side with the guy who’s been in the league for a couple of decades. But yeah I’d love to know the truth.

2. Batalla says:

Is that better or worse than Darche?  He got to dress, but didn’t get a single shift.  SK74 is so far down the line that he doesn’t even get THAT.

3. Norcal Habsfan says:

I firmly believe that the Habs have the skill and drive to beat anyone….but, still…do you  target Staal’s foot? I wouldn’t encourage going out of your way  but maybe during a scrum a little love tap to remind him it’s the playoffs?

4. Batalla says:

Thank goodness for that.  I liked SK74 and really believed (and still believe) that he could be a good player.  But in the first couple games against Washington, he pulled up so as not to get hit like 6-7 times.  He made bad plays to clear the zone.  Well guess what?  It’s playoff time.  No passengers on this train, buddy.

He’d be just like Yashin if he ever actually started to produce.

5. B says:

I don’t believe Martin had much of a future as GM in Florida before Gainey signed him. His position there seemed tenuous.

6. Josh says:

Well, according to Elliot Friedmans twitter, Martin has told Sergei not to practice at all. How far in the dog house do you have to be to not even be able to see the ice for a morning skate?

7. Batalla says:

That makes more sense…  I thought it was herpes.

8. kempie says:

So the obvious question is: Does he play or is he still banished?

9. Harani says:

He’s had labrynthitis and it really screws up your balance coz it affects your ear.It’s a pretty serious condition that can take people months to heal from.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

10. HabFanSince72 says:

But you’re not an NHL coach are you?

11. B says:

Boucher already has a job in the Habs organization, who do you think pays his salary now?

12. kempie says:

No doubt.

13. GrimJim says:

Essentially you’re right. A player’s salary is paid out over the regular season. Player’s get paid bonus money for each round they advance in the playoffs. I couldn’t find a breakdown of how much though.

14. Fansincebirth says:

IMHO, this is absolute BS!

I don’t know what the hell JM is thinking. Dressing Darche and sitting him for the whole game. Not dressing SK and having him see Darche sit at the end of the bench opening and closing the door.

15. wd40 says:

Good one!  The sight of 100’s of pacifiers being thrown on the ice after Sid whines to an official (which should happen in the first minute) would be pretty funny.  Juvenile, but funny.

16. RedLight says:

So Staal looks like he’s good to go a handful of days after surgery. But Spacek is still out nearly two weeks after coming down with a ‘virus?’ What is it, Ebola?

17. B says:

Perhaps he simply does do what Martin asks him to?

18. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Yeah, during training camp. Jacques basically took an immediate dislike to him. Since Day 1 these two haven’t gotten along. Everyone makes mistakes, but when SK makes a mistake… God, it’s the end of the world!

19. Fansincebirth says:

Wasn’t SK on JM’s chit list right from the get-go? Wasn’t it him that JM blew a stack at during one of our practises?

20. Fansincebirth says:

It’s only news because it has something to do with the Habs.

We attract the paparazzi types like Lindsay Lohan does….

21. TripleX says:

I know unlike us, most on HIO are already rid of SK.  But I am very curious to know what SK did to warrant such a severe penalty.  It must be something that occured off the ice and I imagine it will all come out after the playoffs.  One thing is clear, SK’s time in Montreal is over.  Too bad, this organization can ill afford to lose a young player with actual talent.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

22. avatar_58 says:

Can I ask why this Sergei article nonsense is news? How many times do we listen to these pundits and airheads spread rumours and nonsense about the habs. Oh Price said something to Sergei in the hall? So what, the media was hiding in the trash can?

Get over it. Teams talk, they argue, they say un-PC things. No one really cares on other teams so why the hell should we? I don’t take any stock in any of this nonsense.

23. avatar_58 says:

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want that man anywhere near GM duties even as an assistant. Doesn’t matter anyway though, there are several coach-less teams that will snag Boucher this summer.

24. Habscore says:

Haha!! Yea

Thanks for the extra info.

— YES HABS CAN!! —

25. Fansincebirth says:

Gainey came back for one more ‘walk’ :o)

26. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we play with Subban in Markov’s place (for now) – Pk could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that.

Ian Cobb has assured me that Martin will move to another Habs office to make room for Boucher.

I have a lot of faith in Ian.

He is a great Habs fan, and a man of his word.

I refuse to believe that the Habs will lose Boucher because Jm has 3 years left on his contract.

I met Geoff Molson – albeit briefly.

He is a very sharp guy, and a huge Habs fan as well.

M. Molson will not let this happen, and neither will Ian.

27. longtimehabsfan says:

According to Team990 JM said SK74 is in the weight room.

28. HabFab says:

No, it is based on days in the season. Believe it to be 196 days this season but don’t have time to confirm.

29. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

JM had a chat with him and he’s working out by himself in the gym. Per Arpon Basu on Twitter.

30. longtimehabsfan says:

It’s all neutral zone trap by the Bruins.  Flyers also look out of gas.  More than that, Bruins match up better against the Sabres and Flyers.  It’s just how it is.  Regardless, if Jordan Staal is back Pens repeat.

31. ed lopaz says:

I guess you forgot about PK, or you already consider him an established NHL player and no longer just a prospect??

32. avatar_58 says:

Except Hamr is on his last year, JM is just getting started on a longterm contract.

33. ed lopaz says:

By Elliotte Friedman If Guy Boucher is offered an NHL coaching job this summer, the Canadiens will not stand in his way.

It appears so obvious to us that Boucher will coach the habs.

I think someone in PG’s office might just have the same plan, right?

Losing Boucher to another team would be like losing Subban because we  already have Hamrlik.

Please tell me I am not cheering for a team led by retards.

34. Habscore says:

According Martin McGuire on CKAC, SK47 is missing from practise today, again….it[s not written anywhere yet but McGuire is live at Bell Center…

— YES HABS CAN!! —

35. avatar_58 says:

Oh JM wouldn’t come to us without a 4-5 year contract? WOE IS ME!

36. longtimehabsfan says:

Marinaro reported yesterday that Price asked SK74 where he was going and SK74 responded “None of your business”.

37. Xtrahabsfan says:

What will Sidney cry about tonight….Just have Laps shadow his arse!

38. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

If you need to make some money back, Matthew had a brilliant idea:

“I’m too busy to do this myself but anyone in the Montreal area looking
    to make some money tonight should purchase as many pacifiers and they
    can, label them with #87 and sell them outside of the Bell Center
    before tonight’s game… If a pair of tickets is going for $1500 there is
    defiantly money to made”

Bell will be rocking tonight. Get there early.

39. 100HABS says:

Think about it. JM Had a well-paying job as GM in sunny Florida. He wouldn’t leave that for a 2-year contract. He knew he might work only 2 years, but he requires the job security of promised payment for 4 years. You would too, if you’re smart.

40. FormalWare says:

I am proud to be a fan of the classiest sports organization on earth!

If Boucher leaves for “seasoning”, elsewhere, it may work out perfectly for the Habs, in the long run. Remember: Scotty Bowman left a Canadiens’ farm team for the St. Louis Blues.

41. avatar_58 says:

If he doesn’t hate him how do you explain the benching after single mistakes and dressing career AHL’ers who don’t even log a single minute?

Sorry but when it comes to experimentation I don’t get why Sergei is shat upon. You want to know why he’s pissed off and has an attitude? Really? I wouldn’t be too pleased if this is how I was treated. Yes he was a whiney little runt in the beginning of this year, he didn’t take his Hamilton assignment well.

However he shut up, worked hard and was back. Then he makes a few mistakes and it’s back to the dog-house. Yet he watched lattendresse, lapierre, andrei and several others make CONSTANT mistakes without fear of benching. Funny isn’t it? In fact Lattendresse was traded, something he’s have prefered to benching or AHL play. Maybe he wishes it was him instead thanks to this treatment?

42. HabFanSince72 says:

yeah that Bob Gainey is so impulsive.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree that might be bad news. It looks like Boucher is a rare  talent.

Hopefully no one offers him the right job this year.

44. wd40 says:

Did you know Tide has less water than other detergents?  Who knew.   On a serious note, what’s up with Subban… was he in fact playing through an injury during the last game?

45. kempie says:

This is an easy one. Move Martin into an office at the Bell. Fixed.

46. FormalWare says:

Sturm AND Krejci?! That may just be worse than Spacek AND Markov! I can’t help but feel a tad sorry for our Habs’ sworn enemies.

47. avatar_58 says:

Forget it, he’s gone. That’s what happens when you hire a head coach for multiple years without thinking it through. Why they didn’t just offer Martin a 2 year contract is beyond me. Now we’re stuck with him and losing the next up and coming coach.

48. Fansincebirth says:

Can the Habs org please, for the love of Gawd, move him up to stand behind OUR bench???

49. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Boucher is the best prospect that the Habs have!

50. Ayan_SB says:

The Habs’ hockey whisperer and 30 thoughts

By Elliotte Friedman

“Our
    organizational philosophy is the same as everyone else’s,” Montreal GM
    Pierre Gauthier said this week. “Never get in the way of someone moving
    up in his career.”

Boucher is a hot property among teams with
    coaching vacancies. Last season, he led Drummondville to the QMJHL
    championship and a Memorial Cup berth. This year, he was the AHL’s
    Coach of the Year in Hamilton. (The Bulldogs lead Abbotsford 2-1 in the
    North Division final, with Game 4 on Thursday night.)

This is bad news. I seriously hope the Habs are smart enough to Boucher up next season. Give him a job in the organization, something, anything. He can be Martin’s dog walker for all I care. As long as this guy’s got a job with the Habs, it’s all good.

51. wd40 says:

Sold my left kidney and will be at the game tonight.  I’m not sure I can afford to go to any more games as I have now run out of redundant organs.   Is there a better place to see a game when they win/are winning?  Alas, is there a worse place to be when they lose/are losing?   Ah to be a Habs fan in the post-season… come on Les Boys!  Get ‘er Done!

GO HABS GO!

52. ed lopaz says:

you – my friend – can play on my team any day!!

“What else can a scratched player do other than work harder than hell in practice?”

…..while the 2010 Habs DO give a crap. “

EXACTLY RIGHT ON!!

53. Fansincebirth says:

Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where’s the Tylenol

54. likehoy says:

wouldn’t mind sergei in the line-up for his agitating abilities. while lapierre does the job for crosby, sergei can piss off malkin.

– What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

55. wd40 says:

“After the team’s game-day skate Tuesday, Price got into an exchange of words with Sergei Kostitsyn for leaving the ice early even though he wasn’t in the game lineup. A day later, Kostitsyn was one of the last players to leave the ice.”

could have been some yelling.. who knows, who cares, really about anything other than that they have to WIN tonight!

56. avatar_58 says:

WE’RE GOING TO HAVE THE HAP HAP HAPPIEST PLAYOFF RUN SINCE BING CROSBY TAP DANCED WITH DANNY F’in K!!!

57. Fansincebirth says:

I truly hope not…..

58. HabFanSince72 says:

THe miracle man from Belarus is still young. He will just have to win his first  Conn Smythe with another team.

59. StevieRay says:

must be a very slow news day when to Non Factors in the Habs playoff run …. garnish some press …

I do think that JM didn’t show Darche much respect .. by dressing him and then not playing him …can only imagine how that felt !

So wher do we come up with the money to sign Halak … We barely had enough for Pleks ..Now I thing Halak’s agent may want 3 or 4 mil/year

60. doogmac says:

don’t quote me on this but the team gets a sum of money from the nhl depending on how far they go then the team divies it up among the players

61. Chris L says:

Quick question about salaries… I could be wrong, but I believe an NHL salary is paid out over the course of the 82 game regular season… in the case of PK Subban or another call-up… how is he getting paid at this point?  He collected AHL rate except for 2 games in February when he was called-up.  Just curious.

62. kempie says:

Well I don’t like it either but it’s not like we can trade him right now. In the meantime, If JM’s gonna dress a guy in full equipment to sit and guard water bottles, maybe it should be a guy who can kill a penalty when Gill & Georges are in the box. It’s the playoffs and it’s time for JM and SK to grow up. Sometimes you have to work with people you can’t stand.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

This isn’t about the miracle man from Belarus, it’s about his fan club.

64. habs4ever2894 says:

Bruins lose David Kreji to a broken wrist…. That is horrible news for them if boston manages to get by philly( which is likely) they will have no chance against us or the pens .

65. punkster says:

HFS, I don’t think you need to call out or bait anyone. Most of those you call “kool-aid drinkers” are simply frustrated fans. I’m one of them. I just happen to think we are best served by leaving SK in the press box. It’s the lack of a 4th line that most are ticked about. Dressing guys who end up with a couple of minutes (or zero) ice time while the rest of the guys are sucking wind out there.

The SK thing is an easy target for some who don’t like JM or believe they could do a better job. A coach’s role is far moe complicated than the oft quoted line “Great coaches coach to a player’s strength and will put them in
    situations where they can succeed”. That is but a single element to being a coach. How about this one, “A great coach has the courage to not compromise on excellence”. Hey, I can pluck dozens of saying from the web and apply them to this situation but quotes don’t make a coach and don’t win hockey games. I have an issue with JM not playing 4 lines but I do not have an issue with his handling of SK.

Like I commented last night, putting SK on the 4th line does not increase the chances of the 4th
    line playing. That issue is entirely separate of the SK discussion.
    He’s a 4th line player on a team that is not playing a 4th line and he’s a 4th line player who is in the doghouse. JM has lots of other choices available to make up a 4th line.

66. Jbird says:

I like SK.  But if I was a young NHLer who is talented but still scratched for 5 straight games on a team making a playoff run I would show the coaches I wanted to play by practicing harder and proving to them I belong.  What else can a scratched player do other than work harder than hell in practice?

Why does he leave early?  Makes no sense to me.  Guy has 6 goals this year? demanded a trade with zero leverage and now seems to have his teammates thinking he does not give a crap while the 2010 Habs DO give a crap.

And for the record the TSN report says that Price asked why he left the ice early while SK mumbled something.  Price follows up with a “you to good?”.  I think he may just think that.

67. projectpete19 says:

they changed the article from earlier

68. Fansincebirth says:

good one…

Darche must have been like Griswold on Christmas Vacation

Have a good shift, good shift, great shift, kiss my ass, kiss his ass…..

69. Ayan_SB says:

Yeah, forget SK, just dress Darche and give him 0:00 TOI.

70. Fansincebirth says:

So, is SK your new whipping boy or are you just adding him to your list of players you hate?

71. punkster says:

Did the article say “yell”? Read it again.

72. projectpete19 says:

did anyone read the article on TSN saying that Price yelled at Sergei for leaving the ice early at practice?

73. nick says:

I don’t know about kool aid drinkers…

But I can say I’d rather have the team work with him rather than throw him under a bus. Sure hes this an that, piss poor attitude and the works… With all that, the kid has a helluva upside when he decides he wants to play.

Correct me if I’m wrong, weren’t folks saying the same thing about Price after a few words with Markov after a game? Bad attitude , doesn’t deserve to be with the team etc etc… And now he’s calling out Sergei in the locker room… Things change.

I’d rather work with a draft pick a little too long and find out he isn’t worth as much as expected rather than ship him off to another team to watch him excel for not much in return. But thats me.

Then again, perhaps it has something to do with the 300$ jersey I picked up 2 seasons ago back when he was still a fan favorite 😛

74. HabFanSince72 says:

Where are the SK74 kool-aid drinkers this morning?

You know the mantra: “we can’t win without the miracle man from Belarus but Martin won’t pick him because he hates him.”