Heroic

Got a better adjective?

1,063 Comments

1. J.J. of Turku says:

Hmmmmm? My underwear fits perfectly to my head, don´t ask me why I tried…

2. kempie says:

Hall for Gomez & Price? Hmmmmmm. Really? Mmmmmmm Haaaaaaall.

3. Fansincebirth says:

Damn straight!

It’s not just the media either. One particular Sens (douchebag) fan I know spits venom when we talk about the Habs right now and he cannot wait until we lose. “All the sweeter” he said but where are his mighty Sens who many picked to go very deep in the playoffs? That’s right, they are on the outside looking in, just like 27 other teams.

4. danp says:

Unfortunately, much of what you say is true. I could not believe the attitude of Mike Emrick on Versus when the Habs crushed the Penguins in game 7. Emrick is not alone, several other sprotscasters seem to share his attitude.

The part that really stinks is that the players that are the Canadiens this year deserve a lot of credit and they aren’t getting it from the media. Almost to a man, the Habs have shown heart and character, the kind of professional athletes that I want my son to look up to. I remember the NHL pre-season show where they ask several analysts what teams will go deep into the playoffs. The Canadiens were never given a chance – either a no show post season or a quick exit in the first round. The Habs have already proven them wrong.

Being the #8 seed in the East this year is not that relevant since only a few points separated several teams. What is relevant is the way the Habs played this post season. They came together as a team and knocked off two top teams. Nobody predicted that. My hat is off to the Canadiens this year. Credit is due to the players for bucking the odds. It ain’t over and I don’t hear any lady about to sing.

5. Chuck says:

That’s right! The worst we can do is the bronze!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

6. Castor says:

If the Habs lose tonight they still deserve a crowd at the airport standing and cheering. Out of 30 teams in the NHL, 27 of them are golfing. The habs are still playing. Darn good season.

Of course, I still hope they win.

7. DrA says:

What the players need to realize, it is their choice to win tonight or pack it in.

What choice will they make?

Also remember, we have Halak.

8. petrov14 says:

I hope you are right and you take your place as ‘les Nostradamus’.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

9. Fansincebirth says:

Whatever happens tonight and unless we pull off three straight wins against the Flyers, the media will not be kind to the Habs nor their fans. Like the Yankees of the baseball world, we are hated. They hate us because we win and have won 24 cups. They hate us because the Habs have the best fans in hockey. They hate us because we understand the game so well. They hate the Habs because if they don’t, then they have to try to understand what it is that makes this team and it’s fans so great.

Even if we were to win the next three games against the Flyers and go on to beat the ‘Hawks, they would not sing our praises as a great team who won, despite all odds. If the Flyers go on to win, they will say we could not beat a well balanced team and our size was an issue. If we go on to win, they will say our goalie is the only reason we made it ‘this far’.

Regardless what happens tonight I am damned proud of this team, what they have overcome and what they have accomplished. We fought and struggled through injuries, unfamiliar faces, adversity in and out of the dressing room and have gelled into a pretty amazing team. Did I curse them at times? Yup, because as a Habs fan, I demand the best from the best hockey team in the world. I don’t switch off being a Habs fan like many other teams fanbase do.

So, my tri-coloured Road Warriors, let’s go out there tonight and wipe the collective smirk off the nay sayers and sportscasters who said we couldn’t and crush the Flyers like we know we can!

GO HABS GO!!

10. Danno says:

Your friend is quite the prankster!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

11. likehoy says:

don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but my friend works at the airport and saw the habs board the plane carrying their golf clubs.

either it’s a reverse jinx they’re trying, or they’ve called it a season.

– What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

12. Exit716 says:

Varlamov should learn how to stop a puck in a key game for a change.

13. ooder says:

wtvr happens i am glad the habs proved the critics wrong.

the habs have done a lot of good in the playoffs and wtvr happens happens.

i am very proud of these guys and i am sure after a few adjustments in the off season we will have a lot to look forward too

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

14. G-Man says:

Now, that’s a Hollywood script, fit for the Habs!

15. jbroderi says:

Looks like Varlamov made a down syndrome joke about steve downie.  I tend not to condone jokes like that because the only people it hurts are the people and family members with this conditions, I don’t feel bad for Downie because he is the dirtiest and dumbest player in the game today!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

16. jbroderi says:

So many tears I cried, so much pay inside, BUT BABY IT AIN”T OVER TILL IT”S OVER!!!

Let’s bring her back to Montreal Boys!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

17. puck face says:

apparently someone told hartnell that the t.v show lost is a true story , he’s in his home right now refusing to come out saying “it’s not real , nothing is real !! “

18. habs4ever2894 says:

The regular season is a joke . The points that a team gets can be determined by so many other factors other than having the best team. A good example is washington, they play most of their games against weak southeast opponents and rack up the points. When going up against the habs there was no way they should have been considered the favorites based on the points that they gathered during the season but because of the talent level that they had. Winning the presidents trophy means absolutely nothing and at the end of the day  having home ice doesn’t mean a whole lot either.

19. jbroderi says:

hopefully they won’t get a chance.

Lstien uo everyone!!  We got all f*cking summer for reflection as to how proud we are of the boys, and I’ll be first in line no matter what happens, but let’s save the post mortems for then, not now when we are still in the fight!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

We are enjoying all the gravy now folks, what a great ride this year.!

21. puck face says:

you can analize it all you want but the end is the end ( if this is the last game ) in a couple of weeks all but one team will be asking what did we do wrong. great run that we are still in but philly is better , plain and simple.i think a couple of goals here and there from Gomez , Andrei , Pouillot and Pleks and we are prolly in the finals. we are in the third round the pundits have been proven wrong.

22. joeybarrie says:

If we had of taken advantage of Washington’s weakness’ and stole the series because of a hot goalie, it is possible to say that the Caps are still a better team than The Habs. However,since we beat the Pens too, simply put RIGHT NOW WE ARE THE THIRD BEST TEAM IN THE NHL.

There has been some nonsense going around here regarding alot of issues this team has had to deal with. ALL SEASON. But in the end the success is measured by the team that wins the Cup. And right now we are in 3rd place to winning it. There are only 2 teams closer, and we are still in the hunt.

So the big question I have is this:

Is the best team the team that wins the Cup or the team that has the most points in the regular season?

Now I could argue that winning the bulk of 82 games is tougher than winning the bulk of 16-28 games. However, the fact that Washington Capitals have to play the teams in their division the most, and the fact that their division SUCKS throws that argument out the door. They are the only team in the playoffs from their division. If they had to play the Sharks, Hawks, Wings, and Canucks 3 times each (same as the rest of the league), then maybe there would be an argument. But when they play the Canes, Lightning, Panthers, and the Thrashers the most, I would argue that they have an advantage. Taking nothing away from them, they are a very good team. We are better.

Do you think people will remember the season by the Caps winning the Presidents Cup? Or the Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup? I dont know about you, but I think the fact that they call them CHAMPIONS pretty much says it all.

What am I trying to say and why am I bringing all this up. Well LIKE IAN, I want to express my happiness for this team. They had a tough season injury wise, alot of negative comments, and alot of bashing. But in the end we have a GREAT team. AND WE SHOULD BE CELEBRATING THAT.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

23. Y says:

Overall, very happy with what this team accomplished given the circumstances.

Just a little tweaking in the summer time will hopefully ensure another good playoff run.

Never been a Martin fan, and I still am not.

Hopefully Huet and the Hawks can crush these Philly twits.

24. puck face says:

LOL !!!

25. Ron says:

Nice piece Robert, thanks for putting it on here. Claude Larose was a favorite of many and I am sure Claude Giroux will be very good for years to come.

26. Xtrahabsfan says:

Very proud of the Habs  and what ever happens …happens!Can’t wait for OFF-SEASON changes and I think Laroque has it wrong bout Martin…Martin like big tuff fighting athletes that can PLAY THE GAME and that’s what has to be acquired in the off season to go along with our LIL PLAY-MAKERS…….GO HABS GO!

27. Chuck says:

Haul out the arsenal. If they don’t win, you’ll never forgive yourself.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

28. Chuck says:

I believe that they WILL do this!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

29. HUDSONHAB says:

Hallelujah!!!!!!

….Hab4life….

30. jbroderi says:

hahaha, you might need to get it straightened so you can manage it better.  Probably looks like Hartnell’s face now!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

31. jbroderi says:

I haven’t seen the Habs make too many magical runs.  I was only six when the won in 86, and most of my memories came from 1993, which I remember with great clarity.  When you think back to that play-off run, the first thing is the 10 overtime games..  That is amazing in itself, but when you look at the context of some of the games, it is even more impressive.  If they lose game 3 against Quebec, they’re done, but the somehow win.  The illegal stick comeback in the finals was a defining moment for sure in the finals.

The point is, every team that wins the grail has had these moments.  Messier’s guarantee, carolina winning in overtime in game 3 against the habs a few years ago, TB scoring in game 6 in overtime to force game 7, etc. etc etc.

The Habs have lots of the moments from this year, as do the Flyers.  I would like to be able to think back in a couple of years and remember how I feel now, knowing that the boys put three wins together against the flyers and went on to win the cup.  It is an opportunity for the Flyers to advance tonight, but it is even more of an opportunity for the habs to become legends!!

game 5:  4-3 OT

Game 6:  3-1

Game 7:  1-0 OT

The chi-town.    Let’s go boys, it’s your time!!!

32. Chuck says:

Good boy.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Can’t compete with a playoff-styled team? Like the Pens?

I agree with what you’re saying but I wont speculate, I am looking forward to tonight’s game instead.

I think something that worked to the advantage of the Flyers was all the jawing the Habs shot towards them at the end of game 3 rather than just letting the Flyers player’s own frustration undo themselves completely. The Flyers were able to rally around this and stick it to the Habs game 4. Richards with all his dis-respect whining. Hartnell calling Cammy a tongue wagging girl, and a not so pretty one at that.

The Habs need to step it up this game, expect the Flyers to get nasty and dirty at the end of it should they be winning, and rather than get too cocky just close the deal with cold-blooded efficiency.

35. punkster says:

You’re correct about being forced to the outside and I think that has been the Flyers key in their 3 wins. You’re also correct about the good character. However, as I said to HH below, I never expected a playoff this year. It has been fun but the “grit” needs to be added in the off-season. We have a solid core. And…it’s not over yet.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

36. puck face says:

if habs lose will be nice to shave again , my underwear are getting tight.

37. jbroderi says:

Good Points, but we’re not talking about miracles.  We are talking about two teams playing hockey, which on any given night, either team can win.  The habs will likely lose the series, no doubt, but my expectations are pointless, because I will still watch the game anyway.

The flyers are very flawed, as are the Canadiens.  The Canadiens flaws have been glaring lately.  Can the flyers take a chink in the armor if the habs win??  Stayed tuned!!!

You are right about the experience factor.  If the habs had some big grit mixed through the lineup, a la Big Buff, and had another tough, physical stud on the point, i think they would be a more complete team.  I think those things will be addressed in the off-season, which I hope doesn’t start for a few weeks!!

go habs go!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

38. punkster says:

What poster?

FEEL THE PRIDE!

39. punkster says:

I don’t disagree with all you have said David. I’d love to see them build from the draft too but that means getting lucky on the middling picks they always end up taking. Drafting, after the top couple of picks, is a crap shoot where we rarely have luck. Reasonable trades and selective FAs seem our only destiny for now. I’m OK with that.

The team, as it stands now, has a good foundation I believe. I’ve thought that since last fall and never really expected this type of playoff run. If (a big if) management does the right things this summer we may see even better over the next couple of years.

Out on a limb here…there will be a game 6.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

40. HUDSONHAB says:

Every year I have been fanatical and superstitious about routines, clothes, pictures, figurines etc.

This year I tried not to get that way. I do have a few things going on but for the most part I am trying to just roll with it.

Do I bring out the arsenal or do I just roll with it?

Habs fans unite with positive vibes.

….Hab4life….

41. puck face says:

three legged cat ! habs win.

42. ManApart says:

I usually would agree and do hope for a miracle, but to see how they lost their 3 games this series. I’ve never seen a team so shut down in my life. The team had 2 scoring chances last game. I mean seriously.  After seeing how easily the Flyers can handle the Habs, how can anyone realistically think they can win 3 in a row? This team is finally showing why all the pundits scoffed at how Gainey made them throughout the year. They just can’t compete with a real playoff styled team. They are actually getting beaten worse than they did in 2008, with the same matchup. Nothing has changed as far as story line. Flyers still too physical, keeps Montreal to the outside etc. If anything, this team seems more one dimentional with less depth than 2008. They have more character, but a lot less ability to handle the shut down game. Only the goaltending is a little better this year. It’s starting to look like everybody was right afterall about Gainey and the team he created. Good character, but not enough grit.

43. notbigbird says:

I suspect that he didn’t bring in these guys to lead us to the promised land but to change the culture of the team — influencing the up-and-comers (should we have any apart from the guy who has already showed up). I think this year’s run is, therefore, a bonus, but the thinness of the roster has been revealed. I tend to think that JM’s handling of players may have contributed to the thinness, however. Or else maybe it’s somebody else’s fault that everyone seems to stall after they reach the Habs. I guess we’re still all trying to figure that one out, or at least I am.

44. Danno says:

You should NEVER stop drinking beer. Do it for the team. We’re counting on you :o)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. zozotheclown says:

The team has actually won every game I’ve watched while drinking beer, so I’ll make sure to do my part tonight 🙂

46. ProHabs says:

I would like to see this summer the Habs trade their great 2006 first round draft pick and prospect David Fischer to the Flyers for Claude Giroux.

Chicago is already in the final Dave. Should the Habs make it too (unlikely but not impossible as they need to win the next 3) the tank argument is still valid. Besides, tank is just a word used to shock and awe. The real concept is rebuilding via the draft. Edmonton has decided to follow that course. Try and ask them if they want to give up their 1st pick. Maybe they’ll trade it for Gomez and Price.

I am not a hockey GM just a frequent poster here at HIO. BG was and he chose to bring in a leadership core to build around via free agency rather than build from the draft. Even with Gomez’ salary I like what I see as a foundation. There is way more to do to get this team into contention-mode though. This play-off run has been precarious to say the least especially this series. Getting shut out 3 games of 4 is a dubious indicator indeed.

Nevertheless, Chicago looks like they’ll have a Cup this year after being lost in the wilderness for decades. If the Habs don’t score a goal tonight I’d say the BG experiment looked good too but invariably blew up in the chemist’s face.

48. Chuck says:

When you say “excellent find”, are you speaking of the poster of the puck bunny?  🙂

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

49. punkster says:

Looking back at the comments from the last couple of weeks of the regular season you’ll find some very humourous (as well as caustic) comments regarding the playoffs. The general theme would be started by someone posting the statement “you never know what can happen in the playoffs”. This would be answered by a mix of people who either jump on the positive sentiment bandwagon or do their damnedest to belittle the statement or the commentor.

So here we are, game 5 of the conference finals and we’re in a deep hole. Again. Facing elimination. Again. No chance. Again. This is going to take a phenomenal effort or some weird bounces or some combination of magic and miracle to pull it off. The Habs could find their game and dominate, the Flyers could turn in a stinker, Jaro could stand on his head or Leighten could be a sieve. Who knows?

We all have preconceived notions of what may transpire based on the series so far, previous series results, how each team has performed in the past and on and on. Stats and opinions are endless. With all that in mind as a fan I can only cheer for my team, hope for the best and be prepared for whatever goes down.

And, of course, remember the comment: “You never know what can happen in the playoffs”.

Go Habs Go.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

50. jbroderi says:

the old reverse jinx will outweigh a chubby kate Smith anyday!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

51. Robert L says:

Francis Bouchard, a Hearst Ontario native has put together this fine article at EOTP on local boy Claude Giroux. Did he want to drafted by the Habs? At 17, he played pickup hockey in a Saku jersey…photo included.

52. punkster says:

There was also something about a tank before the season ended HH. You have not had a good batting average so far. 🙂

FEEL THE PRIDE!

53. punkster says:

Excellent find Jason.

And in reference to your avatar, yes, I do expect the unexpected today.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

54. coachdoug says:

NBRJ = Nuclear Boone Reverse Jink…It’s all or nothing

“The ‘System’ will not stop until it owns Lord Stanley’s Cup…All hail the System!”

55. CHsam says:

I think we need the mother of all BRJs tonight.

56. Bill says:

I’m not optimistic based on how flat they came out last game … love the picture, hilarious.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I called Caps in six. I was wrong.

I called Pens in six. I was wrong.

I called Flyers in 6. Will I be wrong again??

58. habs001 says:

things can change but if there ever was a game where the first goal is big this is that game….we may need to win this game 1-0.. hope i am wrong but gomez,plecks.ak46 and pouliot give me no confidence at all that they will provide any scoring…if the flyers beat us in the series these four will be a huge reason why that happened …plecks and gomez may have good over all faceoff wins but i wish they had stats on face off wins in our zone when we are pk and in the other teams zone when we are on the pp as it seems to me these two lose a tremendous amount of these face offs.

59. Dintrox says:

It is pretty hard to win face offs when they toss out the center every draw. It seemed every face off we were thrown out of the circle without movement on the wing and before the flyer center had his stick down. Surprised the zebras didn’t find a way to call a bench minor delay of game penalty against the Habs.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.