Heroic comeback

Alex Kovalev fires a laser to the glove-side of red-hot Tomas Vokoun on the power-play in OT to give Canadiens an unlikely 2-1 win.

Christopher Higgins had tied the game in the third period.

Carey Price made 35 saves, and the rookie is a good bet to draw the start against the Flyers at the Bell Centre on Saturday night.

Canadiens HAD to win this game to avoid going 0-for-Florida – and to stem a full-scale panic back home in the city of snow.

1. sidhu says:

“It’s not a purse, it’s European!”
    – Jerry Seinfeld

2. Habhopeful says:

lol i didnt know that was photoshopped until a couple hours ago, but it looks real

3. J.T. says:

Yeah, but we’re selling Brisebois short here. Dandenault has had 51 games to build up that stunning stat. Breezer’s only had 34. Give him a few extra games, and he’ll get there. It’s only a matter of time.

4. Chuck says:

I seem to remember more than a gaffe or two from Georges that led DIRECTLY to goals against. It works the other way, too. And just imagine how some of the weak goalie play has affected their +/-… and they don’t even keep that stat for goaltenders!

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

5. The Teacher says:

Happy days indeed.

6. Habsrule1 says:

What a joke. Huet has done everything for this team. Please go join a site which deals with things you know something about.

Go Habs Go!!

7. Mike Boone says:

I’m a Democrat, too.
    Draft Al Gore.
    Happy days are here again …

8. the Maritimer says:

RIGHT ON!!!

9. sidhu says:

I’m all for having Gratton as our third line center – he’s flown under the radar in terms of valuable UFAs to acquire at the deadline, therefore I hope we can obtain him at little cost.

BG should also take a look at Trent Hunter. I’d much rather acquire Gratton and Hunter than have to give up Higgins, OB, or a 1st for some high-profile player.

10. Hammer says:

Well generally I am a glass half full guy, but last night made a bit of a pessimist out of me. First the bad

a) If Kov, Plek and Kos do not score do not hold your breath waiting for someone else to pick up the load, unless it is on the PP.
    b) Watching Kov get bashed around is disgusting. We need a tough winger,( Chris Nilan where are you) who can throw a few when need be. poor Kov looked like he went through a meat grinder!!! He should never have to take that abuse.
    c) Huet looked lost and unconfident during the first period.
    d) We need a tougher defense. No one is scared to stand in front of the neet unless #8 is on the ice.

a) youth
    b) youth
    c) youth
    d) Youppi

11. mrstewart61 says:

I agree, I’ve been posting that for the last week. 70% on the faceoffs last night.

12. Mike says:

why won’t he put sergwei with koivu and ryder, andrei with pleks and kovalev, higgins with lapierre and latendresse, and begin with smols and kostop

on d: markov and komi
    obyrne with streit
    and boullion and gorges

13. Smart Dog says:

I’m optimistic! Because
    – the Hamr will start nailing things back in place soon.
    – the Breeze will blow away (and take the Smoke with it).
    – Bob will make a trade to fix a hole or two… and because

…the team, when the right people are playing and the right ones are sitting is essentially a good one. It’s young – it needs time.

My biggest worry is that Carbo settles down. The teams needs that too.

Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

14. Mike says:

Worst line combinations ever? why doesn’t he try kovalev in net and huette with brisbois with koivu on the third line?

15. Chuck says:

If this year’s edition of the Red Wings can lose four in a row, with two of thos being to the laffs and the Kings, then anything is possible. Of course, I’m hoping that WE don’t lose our fourth in a row for the first time this year tonight.

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

But Naila, what else matters except our beloved Habs?!

The Original 24 Cups

17. Dan23 says:

They do in Québec…

18. Jonnyboy says:

haha, Breezer

19. Jonnyboy says:

But other players such as Georges have their minus’s from Brise’s mistakes. Not from themselves.

20. Wops says:

I hate Chris Gratton, no way do I want him in my team…

especially not because the guy as 1 good game in the season…

he plays and skate like a goat…

no thanks
    CH is for Chris Higgins

21. Jonnyboy says:

Gratton is the answer. He owned last night. Trade for him.

22. the Maritimer says:

I’m always optimistic when Carey Price is in net instead of Christo-sieve. Habs win tonight!

23. JasonM says:

*checks his watch*

Yep, right on time. The bandwagon of pessimism has arrived after the Habs lose 2-3 games.

Calm down. It’s good that they are facing some adversity. It’ll drive them to play harder in time for the playoffs.

24. showey47 says:

I for one am optimistic, we are looking for secondary scoring. Guess what? So are 29 other teams in the league. We are also 4th in the league for goals scored. What we clearly need is a third line center who can play shutdown role and win draws. Laps is terrible at faceoffs and should be playing wing instead of center. Not concerned about the defence, we lose the last 3 and by coincedence no hamrlik. When the hamr is back the breezy is out, the D will be fine. Roman and obyrne are a solid second pairing. Better defence will improve our offence.

Between the whl, world juniors, ahl regular season and playoffs carey price played 82 games last season. Then tops it off by winning the calder cup mvp. The guy is a workhorse and maybe needs to play alot to be at his best. Lots of reason’s for optimism

25. GrimJim says:

Just remember Mikey,
    Eeyore was a donkey, and you know the other word for donkey…

26. OldGrover says:

I think I’m optimistic. I have faith in the Habs this year. Yeah, it has been a crap few games – but that happens. It happens. The key is turning it around – and I’m optimistic that that can happen.

We’ll see – but I am optimistic.

27. Chuck says:

Very true… I stand corrected. That would, of course, also explain Streit’s -11.

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

28. krob1000 says:

I am an optimist…..Hossa misses morning skate
    Hossa misses optional skate today

29. HotHabs says:

I’m not optimistic about tonight’s game. Panthers have been playing well lately with 7 out of possible 10 pts in the last 5 games. Montreal has 2 out of possible 10 pts in last 5. Florida is heating up while Montreal is in the middle of a blizzard!!!

A win would be an incredible and much needed boost to the team’s morale and confidence.

Officially changing my name to “ColdHabs” after this post, hopefully temporarily?

enjoying the high’s of being a Habs fan

30. Habhopeful says:

We need a shutdown line like Pahlsson, Neidermeyer and Moen, In my mind these guys are the best shutdown line in the NHL…

Chuck – I bet Dandy hasn’t played more than a few games on defense this year and I think he hasn’t played defense for an entire game since the end of November. That -11 would be strictly as a forward.

The Original 24 Cups

32. Naila Jinnah says:

I’m always optimistic when it comes to the Habs. Not really with anything else though…

33. Chuck says:

So far Brisebois is in the middle of the pack, tied with Josh Georges at -5, which on last years’ team would have been tremendous. Mathieu Dandenault pulls up the rear with a -11, though the stats don’t differentiate between his minuses as a forward and as a defenseman.

I’d still rather have Hamrlik back there, though….

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

34. Chuck says:

I’m optimistic that Huet will buy a set of bigger pads… or at least switch to white to create the illusion of bigger pads.

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

35. wd40 says:

J.T., interesting blog post on the “backbreaker” goals. I didn’t realize there were that many. Yikes. As you said, we’re obviously missing a shutdown line and, too often, the job falls solely on Huet… which isn’t quite fair.

36. GrimJim says:

That’s right Nick. It’s all your fault. Now you have to turn around three times, spit on a Leafs jersey and keep repeating the mantha “Morenz, Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur… Morenz, Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur…Morenz, Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur…”

Either that or make a pilgrimage to Quebec City and ask Patrick to let the ghosts go.

And as someone who has to stand on one leg in the doorway while watching the third period, I’m serious about this

(Okay, I’m not really….unless it works)

37. Plek-Andrew says:

what in the bloody hell are u talking about lol. U kill me big guy. Whatever happened to simple english? Some of us are 20 here 😀

I’m optimistic because even the freakin Red Wings have lost 4 in a row, including a game to Los Angeles.

We’re winning tonight for sure. I don’t have the slightest doubt in my mind. Everyone will be quite suprised as to who’s gonna score goals… I have a sick feeling that Kostopoulous and Latendresse are hitting the mark tonight for some reason…

38. grrrreg says:

The thing that scares me tonight has nothing to do with the habs. I fear the reaction of the Panthers after the Zednik incident. They are likely gonna give everything to win one for him.

As for the habs, yes, this is a slump. But who really believed they could play as good as they did in january until the end of the season? I think we were due for a little losing streak. That’s ok. Now, if this team has learnt its lesson from last season, they’ll react soon enough to avoid a total meltdown. So yeah, I’m optimistic.

39. J.T. says:

Ah…Grasshopper…never underestimate Carbo-san.

40. MikeL says:

I highly doubt Breezer plays tonite regardless if Hammer plays or not. I’d say if Hammer doesn’t play, Streit moves back on D and we see the Smolinski, Begin, Tommy K line.

41. Blarneylad says:

Last call? at least in ontario, not sure about other provinces

42. J.T. says:

It all depends on Hamrlik. If he’s in, I’m optimistic. If it’s Breezer, well…I wonder if the liquor store delivers?

43. Blarneylad says:

got to love our record without the hammer.

I’m optimistic we’ll make it to the playoffs, we’re not conetenders this year. just wait until next year and the year after, this playoff season will give our young guys some experience, why do you think Price is back up, because playoff hockey starts now and gainey wants him to be there to experience it

44. Sbah Reverof says:

I may not be optimistic about tonight, but overall I love our chances, and it’s a great time to be a Habs fan.
    We hit these speed bumps whenever other teams start figuring out what we’re good at; we then adjust our game, and go on another tear. Carbo must by now realise that if one team has figured out how to shut down our PP or first line or whatever, then everyone else is wise to us, and it’s time to come up with a new plan; he can’t afford to wait three or four games to change things up.

45. MikeL says:

Bob Gainey should help Jokinen avoid breaking that record….

46. New says:

I thought they had enough tools?

47. New says:

Yeah, it’ll likely mean one of the top three draft picks.

48. RetroMikey says:

If we lose tonight, then we’ll have to worry. Detroit’s lost 4 in a row, I believe we’re in a minor slump. Let’s go boys tonight! Play hard and hustle! Let’s not worry….not yet until the outcome of tonite!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

49. Jay in PA says:

I’m neither optimistic nor pessimistic. We were due for another slump, and it’s time for BG, Carbo, and the crew to retool for the stretch run to the playoffs. They handled the last slump in December very well. The question is what strategy they’ll settle on to get us out of this one and how long it will be before it takes effect.

Telling the boys to try skating a little harder would be a start.

50. nick says:

I ‘ll have to admit… when it was 3-0 at the Rangers game, i quickly thought to myself – “my how it’s nice not to have to worry. Having a team that can just come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, and is a blast to watch” It wasn’t of matter of if we won, but just going through the motions.

30 seconds later Ranger scored the first of 5 unanswered goals.

I think i jinxed us all in that split second.

Sorry everyone.

51. Will Longlade says:

I’m starting to get the feeling that the Habs-Laffs game on April 5th will actually mean something. If the Habs need that game to sneak into the playoffs, they are as good as toast. Hope I’m wrong, but the whole team seems to be in one heckuva funk and the timing couldn’t be worse.

52. New says:

Won’t happen.

Well probably won’t happen. I suppose Carbo could get Dr M to spike their gatorade with ritalin.

Do they test for that?