Forsberg signs

Peter Forsberg is back – with Colorado.

Pierre McGuire, on Mitch Melnick’s show this afternoon, says this will start an "arms race" in the Western Conference. Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver and Detroit will try to make moves.

On the Marian Hossa front, McGuire – stressing that he was speaking hypothetically – said Canadiens would have to give up a roster play of Christopher Higgins’ calibre plus Ryan McDonagh or Alexei Yemelin and one or two draft choices.

I think Hossa is going to Ottawa.

1. nick says:

Ottawa isn’t lacking the talent. It’s lacking the focus. New coach might be a good idea for the Ottawa club.

2. 9410 says:

Thrashers have Enstrom, a rookie with damn good puck play to QB their PP, they need pretty much everything else though.

3. HotHabs says:

Now TSN talking about Sens coach Paddock possible getting the axe. That wouldn’t surprise me.

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

4. sidhu says:

And so it begins….

5. wild flower says:

Grabowski may never play in the NHL – he has already tried and failed. Many talk about Higgins best role being that of a third line checker which would possible if we improve the top six by adding the likes of Hossa (signed to long term). How much depth do we need in third liners? I think Chiptura would be expendable under the scenario described. I would hope that Bob knows which of the D prospects we can send off to have a more realistic shot at immediate success which seems like it should be possible given Ottawa’s inconsistency. You don’t get too many shots like this year and Crosby and the Penguins will probably be even better next year.

6. G-Man says:

So, Colorado signs Forsberg, AKA “The Gimp”. Big whoop. The question is:Why sign someone who cannot skate any more? It boggles the mind.

Gilbert

7. Les-Habitants says:

Yah, but I Hossa is more of an impact player then Smyth.

And the Thrashers seem to need a QB for their powerplay, and an offensive center. So I’d agree with Grabs, but if I was Waddell I’d be pushing for Streit.

Hopefully Gainey won’t part with him.

8. Xtrahabsfan says:

Just in …deal done …Hossa for Kovalev …..kidding,lol

9. RS says:

True, the Leafs would have to make an incredible run for that one to matter directly to them. We might need those two points in a big way though.

10. Ali says:

depends who on TSN, if it was Mckenzie i’d have no problem believing it, the man is the most well informed analyst on tv.

Dreger seems to have good sources as well, and surprisingly so does Gord Miller, he’s the one that broke the Ryan Smyth trade last year.

11. Will Longlade says:

You could have a point there. The Sundin matter may give the Laffs the boost that they need to play the spoiler role although making the playoffs in almost mathematically impossible for them at this stage. The Habs must ensure that the lineup is full of Dawgs players for that game.

12. Les-Habitants says:

I’m telling you guys…Bobby Holik is our man!!

Why won’t anyone listen to me?!?!? 🙂

13. Les-Habitants says:

too much, would be too big of a hit against our depth.

14. Will Longlade says:

Why? Deals that are made out of desperation are rarely good ones. If they discombobulate their team, that’s good for us.

15. port elgin says:

Sens have zero and I mean zero chance of winning the cup with Ray “swiss cheese” Emery between the pipes.

16. Les-Habitants says:

Roster player, prospect, and draft pick…standard, but still too much by far for a player who very well might be a UFA this summer.

One of our best 2 way forwards, one of our best defensive prospects, and 2 (I’m guessing) 1st round draft choices??

Man…
    someone is gonna pay it tho, if Forsberg, Smyth, Keith Tkachuk are any indication…although, in those cases, no roster players, minus Glen, were involved.

Forsberg: Ryan Parent, Scottie Upshall, a 1st round selection and a 3rd round selection in 2007.

Smyth: Robert Nilsson, Ryan OMarra and a 1st round selection in 2007

Tkachuk: Glen Metropolit, a first and third-round draft pick in 2007 and a second-round draft pick in 2008.

17. port elgin says:

Tsn is full of crap, they have no trades coming through and will have nothing of any substance to report tomorrow. So all they can do is make stuff up and hope people watch their show instead of Jerry Springer tomorrow. My advice…watch Jerry , more realistic and way more entertaining.

18. Blarneylad says:

the sens canot afford to have him under contract next season anyways. so they can have him for the playoffs, choke, and then we’ll sign him in off season. Higgins cannot be moved

19. arcosenate says:

Man, that would be WAY TOO MUCH! Let’s just sign Hossa as a free agent. Forget this crap.

20. nick says:

Well when you look at it that way yeah.. But on the other hand they are fairly far behind us at the moment. Ottawa on the other hand, yep numero uno…still. I dislike Toronto winning, but for immediate purposes i enjoy Ottawa losing way more than i care what happens with Toronto at all… theres some logic in there somewhere. 😉

21. Mr.Hazard says:

This Hossa thing is really getting out of hand. Screw it.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

22. The Teacher says:

The Leafs winning ALMOST makes you feel as good as a Habs win?…

Buddy, you sure you don’t want to think about that again?

😛

23. nick says:

HAH! That almost makes my night more than the Habs winning. Almost. I’d enjoy it even more if we hadn’t lost the last two games. 😛

24. RS says:

I previously mentioned Lapointe (well, and about 25 other guys). He’s been a healthy scratch at least once recently and he’s going to be a UFA. He should be cheap. Questionable how much help he’d be. But he’s French!

25. The Teacher says:

Check that 5-0

26. RS says:

Of course, that (Murray goes crazy) could be good…for the Habs. By the way, it looks the Sens need help keeping the puck out more than they need a forward. Of course, same can be said of the Habs.

Talk about bananas, imagine if the Leafs now make a run for the playoffs! Seriously folks, I don’t like the looks of the last game of the regular season.

27. nick says:

Lose like that make GM go crazy… go crazy? Don’t mind if I DO!

I hope this doesn’t make Ottawa go all out before tomorrows deadline.

28. The Teacher says:

Leafs 4-0 over Sens. Might make Murray go bananas.

29. tony d says:

Sundin just scored for TO….that’s for you Fletcher, so there

30. 1010 says:

Yesterday Ferguson stated that he thought Sundin would waive his clause and go elsewhere. So as you can see JFJ has a handle on the situation much like he did when he ran the leafs into the ground.
    Apparently TSN will hire anyone who comes staggering out of the ACC.

GO HABS.

31. subdoxastic says:

J.T.:

I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments regarding JFJ’s new role with TSN. While I can understand any “news” organization looking to get insider information, the likelihood of JFJ providing any is next to nil.

Furthermore, considering he is at least partly responsible for the mess the Leafs are in, how we can expect unbiased or objective reporting regarding that team? (and in Ontario there’s not much time devoted to any other team).

Perhaps TSN has fallen victim to an all too common trade deadline disease, acquiring someone just to show you can, to acquire a little flash, only to be disappointed and left holding the bag after the party’s over?

32. 1010 says:

Forsberg sure starts an awfull uproar for a guy whose chances of making a major contribution are probably in the 25 to 30 per cent range at best. I mean, does this really scare Detroit and Anahiem that much?

GO HABS.

33. sag says:

tsn just said Grabs and Chips are part of a Hossa offer

34. Forlando says:

Mcguire has gone crazy… I would not give that up for 2 months rental of Ovechkin or Crosby or ____________ insert whoever you feel like…totally nuts.

35. 9410 says:

Well I hope Maguire Realizes that there is no way, pretty much anybody would pay that price. Last years expensive rentals all flopped in the playoffs, and this year GM’s are more and more aware that the draft is key.
    Funny how he mentioned Yemelin and McDonagh, but neither were at the game which Waddell went to, so chances are he has not scouted them as extensively, especially since Yemelin is in Russia.
    I dont think theres any way Habs are going to rent, Gainey wont get a quick fix, he moved Iginla to bring Newy into Dallas for a while, not just one run at the cup.
    Where do these Jokinen being a bad locker room guy stuff comes from, had not heard it prior to this year, and if thats the case, is he a bad locker room guy or just sick and tired of playing with a bunch of gomers?

36. J.T. says:

Well, if that’s the price for two months of Hossa, Ottawa’s welcome to him. The Habs aren’t Cup favourites this year anyway, so there’s absolutely no need to bolster the roster with a rental. Bob, step AWAY from the Hossa!

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks TSN has gone beyond the previously-recognized bounds of “ridiculous” by hiring John Ferguson Jr. to dissect Mats Sundin’s decision to invoke his no-trade clause, and feature him saying things like, “It’s too bad. I would have liked him to go somewhere where he’d have a chance to win the Cup?” I don’t know which is worse…the leafs or those who cover them.

37. wild flower says:

Maybe we eventually win because of Bob’s patience. I don’t think that this is a zero sum game, as many teams destroy their futures each year while only one team can win. If the price becomes too high we sit back and watch Ottawa lose because they lack chemistry which can’t be bought. Eventually we should rise to the top. I just wish Bob had been a little more patient last year and taken another long look at Riberio, Niinimaa or both.

38. Will Longlade says:

Huet, Ryder and O’Byrne to TB for Dan Boyle. As part of the deal, the TB police agree to drop the charges against OB.

Sounds like a lot, but we will lose the first two of these players to FA anyway and as an RFA, OB may attract an offer sheet that the Habs may not be able to match. What does everyone think?

39. Cable Guy says:

No way Tampa trades their first round pick this year, won’t happen.

40. likehoy says:

actually..i think that’s a brilliant move cause if we get tampas pick…we’re top 5 pick and if we don’t get stamkos…we get drew doughty who’s highly rated as a dman which can make for mcdonagh’s loss for sure.

41. sag says:

If I were Bob…

1. Try to get Martin Lapointe – not heard him mentioned in the rumors which actually makes it likely – tough and leadership!
    2. Sign Ryder…. at a discount.
    3. Trade Huet(UFA, too many good goalies)
    4. Call up Halak(tearing up AHL), Chips(NHL player – always was before demotion), Grabs (playing well lately)- send down Lats (embarrassing skater), sit the player of choice for that week
    5. No Rentals, No Giant Richards sized contracts, No bad room guys like Jokanen.
    6. Hossa signing in the off season after he and the Sens come up short against the young and determined Habs in the East Final!

ps Price gets start??? Was that source reliable? Not usually announced until game day. If so, Huet is on the move for sure. No way Price gets the start after the Columbus start and Huet well rested.

42. likehoy says:

my prediction is hossa for grabs valentenko and a first rounder.

we had 2 first rounders last year which allowed us to pick well..unfortunately this year is a deep first rounder…therefore expect gainey to deal Huet for a first rounder…hopefully tampas so we get a steven stamkos shot

43. howtathor says:

Ottawa will never win a cup unless they pick up a goalie tommorow!

44. howtathor says:

Wow…Heatley-Alfredsson-Spezza and Fisher-Hossa-Stillman. Not a bad two lines!

But you know, I like Koivu-Hossa-Higgins, Kovalev-Plekanec-Kostitsyn.

45. Blitzen says:

If Ottawa gives a ton for Hossa – and you know Waddell will demand it – then they better win the Cup now, because they might turn into Laffs North for several years after.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

46. Blitzen says:

An arms race? A few hours ago, people were saying that Foppa’s injury was still bothering him a lot. Odds are the guy won’t contribute that much and/or hurt himself soon.

I think the arms race bit was McGuire trying to boost the ratings for tomorrow’s guaranteed snooze fest on TSN.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

47. RS says:

Hmmm, on the way home from work, I was thinking Hossa to Ottawa too. They have some guys they would be willing to move for another big scorer to give them two lines. Their team D still needs work though, much like Habs.

48. howtathor says:

I think all the rumours surrounding the trade deadline have affected the team’s psyche. Remember, this is a young team and very impressionable. Even those who we consider our leaders such as Higgins and Komisarek have dropped off drastically lately. I don’t think Higgy has anything to worry about. Bob would never trade him for Hossa or otherwise. I’ll be glad when 3pm rolls around. I know it’s been drivin’ me nuts!

49. von says:

We are up to our eyeballs in goaltenders, let’s not add another one to the equation…

Halak and Price will lead the way!!!

50. howtathor says:

Hmmm Maybe I’m reading too much in the fact that Price is in nets tommorow night. Could there be a Huet move in the offing to Tampa Bay? I think they could make a good run with Huet in nets and maybe they would give us Holmqvist as well to backup Price. Sounds like a good deal to me!

51. HABSMANIA says:

well well well I would not assume we will get Hossa. However the good thing is that at tomorrow after 3 pm we will know what has or has not happened and we can focus on the rest of the season – playoffs. GO HABS!!!!

Chris Nilan what a cool guy hes on that show on tsn.

52. howtathor says:

That’s straight from Carbo himself. I think Huet is going to TB for Richards.

53. The Teacher says:

Had problems accessing the site just now. Anyone else?