First Shootout of Canadiens season

Malkin: Save

AK46: ????

Letestu: Glove save

Pouliot: GOAL!

Kunitz: Save!!!

1. The Teacher says:

He goes closer to the net than anyone else does, I’ll have to give him that.

I found that Andrei Kostitsyn had been doing that this year, as I noticed he is in front more often now. The problem is I don’t think he knows exactly what to do when he gets there. He also tends to stand a foot and a half outside the crease as opposed to being parked right up to the blue paint.

I have been a bit perplexed as to why Andrei has not been given as much PP time this year (at least I think he is) as he has been better and has shown more toughness and willingness to do SOMETHING close to standing in front of the net.

2. Aybara says:

From the Russia story, “She said they were drinking Canadian beer”…

ouch

3. keepthefaith says:

I dont see it as one of our major problems. I just cant help but think someone with more skill will pop more goals than Darche. Sure i love his work ethic but that will only take you so far.

4. darcy1 says:

another eyebrown raiser: why can’t Pouliot or AK do the same thing as Darche?

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Carle is an issue because he’s somewhat fragile, he tends to end up on the IR each season, last year was his longest with a 4-month rehab from shoulder surgery and he missed a few weeks this year already. He tends to get pretty banged up in the AHL and if he gets crunched there, the team can’t feel too confident about his NHL prospects.

Carle ATM is rarely called on because he would have to be placed on waivers to be sent back down so calling him up means he has to stay up here or risk letting him go for nothing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. B says:

Yet their PP is in the league’s top 10, ahead of teams like Washington and Philly. Darche is 13th on the team in PP TIO/G (10th in overall PP TOI). Not really such a big deal. Darche has filled his role well and done what’s asked of him. What’s raises my eyebrow is that he has the same number of PP points as Gionta.

7. light_n_tasty says:

Even Gomez scored on Fleury.

8. keepthefaith says:

Darche on the PP is pathetic. I dont buy the argument that he’s the only one who goes to the net. He has hands of stone.

This must be the Habs motto. Come to work , work hard, doesnt matter if you produce, get ice time.

9. scrowe21 says:

I said as soon as they traded SK that he was gunna have a great year. Im pretty sure he had a broken finger for the first couple weeks of the season too.. its funny reading all the hate towards him.

10. scrowe21 says:

Guess you haven’t been watching Max..?

11. bwoar says:

Thanks Mike, exactly my point.  Don’t know why the kid isn’t on the PP every time.

12. Max_a_million says:

Some people are questioning Darche on the power play.

Not sure if it’s good or bad, but interestingly enough he has the highest shot percentage on the team.

13. king ddd says:

agreed, but one thing still bugs me though, last time we called up carle ( i think 2 years ago) he played well, wasnt as bad as webber, or subban when they first started. he wasnt the offensive guy but he played well defensivly imo. then i dont know why he was sent down and never given a chance to come back again. WTF was up wth that

14. punkster says:

Hmmm, you’re right. Premonition. Hmmmm, this is gonna take some thought, some tarrot reading and a dash of celestial calculation to figure this out.

Lemme see…

• sunset is 4:26 PM today
    • moonset at 7:08 PM
    • Tarrot Seven of Batons (Valor): Standing courageously for your beliefs
      in the face of adversity. Fear of failure overcome by the will to
      succeed. Great obstacles met with heroism and determination. Inner
      strength brought to bear at a critical moment.
    • reference The Nautical Almanac for exact position

OK…premonition is a GO!

***Subbang!!!***

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Fleury out, Brent Johnson in tonight. A pity, Cammalleri could have used his favourite goalie in nets tonight to get into the swing of things.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

16. Born in a Bad Year says:

The last couple of games were an aberration.  One regular time penalty and one overtime penalty meant we could roll the lines better in the Atlanta game, and come on, the other game was against the Panthers.  Even in the Atlanta game, our best forward, Plex played more than half of the total penalty kill time.

You have to go back to the Lightning game to see the real problem.

Lightnings top four forwards, time on ice short handed in five penalties, 8:39 time.

Stamkos, 0:26, Lecav 0:04, Gagne 0:04, St.Louis 0:26.  One minute total.

Habs top four forwards, time on ice short handed in six penalties, 8:07 time.

Plex  4:28, Cammi 2:29, Gionta 1:49, Gomez 0:33.  Total time 9:19

After our fourth pk in the 2nd period, our scorers were out of gas, and their scorers were still fresh.  We did outshoot them in the third, but that was desperation dump, chase and perimeter play.  Stamkos got the penalty shot call because he still had the wheels to get in behind our defense.

It is called time and asset management JM.  Use it.

17. CHasman says:

Just a few thoughts to share today.  I stopped watching last night’s game after the second when the score was 3-0 for the Canadians and I’m still shocked at the outcome. I don’t know if it had any impact on the score but I remember thinking that the too many men penalty at the end of the second could be a bad omen.  I just can’t believe it and I know if I feel this bad the juniors must be in agony today.

I wasn’t a huge Lapierre fan but considered him a solid fourth liner and really believe we should have picked up more for him.  At least an NHL level player.

Lars Eller is at the minimum the 8th best forward on our team.  He hustles, goes into the dirty areas, creates some offense and is a great stick handler.  In my opinion that puts him in the lineup.  I didn’t see him do anything to put him on the bench.  I’m not knocking Desharnais because I think he earned a shot and I know it’s a numbers game with too many centers but I’m pretty sure if you asked Eller he would say yes to playing on the wing.

Finally, I’m happy to have the team playing again tonight and though I’ll only get to see the first period and then have to fight to avoid seeing the score before I watch the rest of the game I’m predicting a win tonight.  There it is Mr. Boone, but if you want to add you’re reverse jinx to my prediction I won’t complain.  Have a good game everyone.

18. Kingofswing74 says:

hahhahhahahahahhahahhahaha

Good thing we’re only missing our top three defencemen. Their AHL
    substitutes should be just fine against Crosby. My only question is,
    how will JM deal when he finds out he can’t bench all three of them
    after Cammalleri turns it over, Spacek loses his man, and Price let’s
    in a softie? He can’t blame all three rookies at once …

best.

19. clubdehockey says:

Among Chicago’s top penalty killers: Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp

And they won the Cup with that formula.

And the penalty killers on the team that met them in the Cup finals?

Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, Jeff Carter

20. Bill says:

Penguins vs Habs … yikes.

Good thing we’re only missing our top three defencemen. Their AHL substitutes should be just fine against Crosby. My only question is, how will JM deal when he finds out he can’t bench all three of them after Cammalleri turns it over, Spacek loses his man, and Price let’s in a softie? He can’t blame all three rookies at once …

Lucky that the Penguins are coming off an 8-1 deconstruction of the Lightning, one of the league’s hottest teams. What a perfect opportunity for Price to have a nice, easy game to get his mojo back.

At least Sergei Kostitsyn isn’t making the organization look dumb by having almost as many points as Scott Gomez.

Okay, sarcasm off. Actually, this might be the best thing for the Habs. They usually play better against good teams, for whatever reeason, and Price has had luck with the Pens in the past. Those D injuries are really piling up, though, talk about a bad, bad scene.

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. Bugs says:

It wasn’t a prediction; it was a premonition. A premonition borne out’ve my subconscious which was, in turn, under the impression that Sid would play and that we presently stunk. Only one outta two now.

Is the premonition still reliable in that context?

22. JVF says:

A lot of teams missed the boat, indeed, but he was in our neck of the woods and accessible — He shoulda been on our list. We coulda traded for him…

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, that’s the science of drafting for you. Still hurts. Like Saint-Louis, Perron, Lecavalier (big heartless slug! His uncle commented the Habs’ games! What more do you want?) Luongo, Gagné, Patrice Bergeron and all the others who never came here.

Not to be overly chauvinistic, but I think we’re better when we have more players from this province, francophone or not…

Hello Dickie Moore & Doug Harvey!

Problem is, we have to make it attractive for them to play here now and that’s a problem the Habs never had. And an area where they’re not very good.

Hey! You’re supposed to bow down the the CH, not the other way around…

(Sigh)

The Gorges injury has got me all out of whack…

23. Habhopeful says:

Hahaha both hilarious!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

24. TomNickle says:

It depends on the player and expected return Robert.  We have very few left handed defensemen and left wingers in the system but if the plan is to keep Kostitsyn, Pouliot and Pacioretty long term we don’t really have a need there.  That fact is magnified by the number of centremen in the system who could move to the wing.

As for defensemen we have in the system.  Tinordi, Festerling and Nash are really the only left handers we have who are expected to or have a realistic shot at playing for the Habs.  Alexei Yemelin could make the position less of a priority going forward but if nothing changes we’re going to have to add to that position via trade or free agency anyway considering Gorges is the only long term option we have who is NHL caliber today.

Dealing from a position of strength is always a good idea and moving a centreman or two for an NHL defenseman wouldn’t be a bad idea at this point.

Maxwell, Desharnais, Dumont and Fortier are all unfortunately players that very likely won’t be needed and a package involving a couple of those four could land the team a defenseman who could play in a limited if not significant role soon or immediately.

25. jimhasbeen says:

its uncle FESTER-LING time!!!

26. Born in a Bad Year says:

I just don’t think that there is any other team in the league where the top scorer also leads the team in short handed time on ice.

The post I did earlier was for comparison to the top four for the Lightning. I would bet if we compared scoring ranking to the other 29 teams, our top four would lead the league.

Is there any other possible explanation for our lack of scoring in the third period?

27. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Wow…  Going to be a lot guys going to the net on our 2nd PP unit.  What’s our strategy there?  Confuse their D men because they are all alon in front of the goalie and hope they decide to battle each other for position?

28. MikeMcLaren says:

Pacioretty is ALWAYS going to the net.  Watch him when he’s on the second unit on the PP or playing with Gomez and Gionta.  It’s absolutely refreshing, but he he gets right in there.  I’ve witnessed this with my own eyes!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

29. MikeMcLaren says:

Oopsies, double post.

30. JVF says:

Bring up Carle and/or Brendon Nash. That kid looked good in preseason.

31. Mike Boone says:

Yes, but he lasted till the first choice of the third round in 2005, so a lot of teams missed the boat. By then, the Canadiens had drafted Carey Price and Guillaume Latendresse.

32. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Thanks Dave! Really appreciate it.

33. avatar_58 says:

You have a point good sir, but Carle…..he’s not ready. Even less so than Weber. Maybe a rotating callup? Give Carle a shot and if not, go to Nash or whoever else.

Ugg….last year all over again. Goddamnit

34. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Thank you Pete, yup a goaltender fanatic – that’s what I am.

The reason I didn’t want to rank Price’s save any higher was because several viewers think I am biased since I am a Hab fan (telling you from personal experience), so I try to be as least biased as possible. Now the viewers can’t complain to me for bias.

35. punkster says:

Whoa there Wabbit! You already made your prediction and you can’t back out of it, got that? You have a track record to uphold. Now get back in the lab and come up with a curse. Remember those curses from the playoffs? We’re gonna need a few of those now.

***Subbang!!!***

36. JVF says:

Letang, another guy that grew up in our backyard and that we missed.

(Sigh)

37. Shiloh says:

(to the sound of the Jaws soundtrack..) MAB!

38. punkster says:

Honestly, I don’t know exactly what to use but I’ll check out some stuff and give you a few links that may be interesting.

***Subbang!!!***

39. Captain aHab says:

I think JM is hoping that he somehow channels Metropolit.

40. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Punkster, I totally understand what you mean. Don’t worry, it’s not like I despise criticism, I want the viewer’s involvement. I’ll keep it in mind – besides I am making these videos for fans like you, so I’ll definitely try to improve in this aspect from now on. Thanks for the comment bud!

41. Bugs says:

Few of the Pen opponents this year have had the opportunity we have tonight with Sid and whatsisface outta their line-up.

What coulda been a circus has become a must-win game for us.

42. Shiloh says:

The Q produces some great players – but when the Cherry’s and McGuire’s of the world get on their high horse the only leagues that matter are the OHL and the West. Our Junior clubs could focus a bit more on creativity and scoring instead of the lunch-bucket mentality and Anglo-grit that Cherry and McGuire worship.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Saying this right now:

I do not want to see a trade to address the Gorges injury, the team does not have the luxury of dealing more futures to put a band-aid on a season where True Contender status was eliminated the second Markov’s knee went. Give Mathieu Carle a look from HAM, maybe pick a 7-8th D off of waivers but this team is honestly better off potentially missing the playoffs than giving up more picks/prospects to try and patch giant holes in their D-core.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. Captain aHab says:

Two things I don’t understand:

A) JM is holding back the offense

Getting 90+ shots over two games would seem to contradict that argument. JM can’t put it in the net for our scorers. I don’t like his line shuffling and treatment of youth but to say that he is holding back the O is ridiculous. Guys need a GPS unit to find the net right now.

B) Eller would get a ton of points if playing with Cammy and [insert scorer]

I love Eller and hate the fact he is sitting for players I think are inferior but our scorers can’t hit the broad side of a building right now so playing them with Eller would likely not change that and see Point A about them not lacking for chances.

Bottom line is that if our scorers don’t get out of their collective funk, we’re in big trouble.

45. VancouverHab says:

“Even the longest journey starts with a single step, O Padawan learner…”

46. VancouverHab says:

Awkward use is a fault indeed — I’m ever open to specific correction.

Your hockey point is fair comment, and your logic is annoyingly compelling. My response I suppose is that I am the ‘Golden Middle’ reining in the anti-Gomez extremists….

47. avatar_58 says:

Can’t even blame the man, as he’s as solid as can be. He’s NOT injury prone. It’s just this teams dumb luck coming to bite him in the knee

48. punkster says:

Nice job H.

Now, not a criticism OK? Is there any way to create these highlight reels without the screaming guitar, thunderous drums and whailing vocals? I understand the dramatic effect delivered by all that and I’m certainly not opposed to it at times it’s just that almost every single highlight reel, amateur and pro, uses the same typical musical background. The tunes tend to meld together and you really can’t tell one highlight reel from another.

(I’m picky when it comes to music and an f’in pain in the a** critic of some…my background and my life long love)

***Subbang!!!***

49. matraque says:

Because he’s the only one who’s willing to go in front of the net.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

50. bwoar says:

Darche instead of Pacioretty on the PP?

51. Bill says:

Lovely.

Full Breezer 4 Life

52. king ddd says:

SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. forskis says:

TSN reports that Crosby is not playing tonight…went back to Pittsburgh with an upper body injury…and that sucks about Gorges…I wonder what is wrong with the knee.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges out for the season…

What black cloud follows this team around, honestly? Third year in a row this team has been hit with devastating injury situations.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

55. The Teacher says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww mnaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

56. avatar_58 says:

GOD F DAMNIT

Well there goes the season.

57. ESundy36 says:

Gorges season over, having knee surgery. The d-corps continues to suffer.

58. Mark C says:

The problem with that theory is that it pertains to two players, Pleks and Gio. Gio is 94th among NHL forwards in SH ice time, with a lot of high scoring players around him. Plek’s is 20th and easily the best offensive player to that point. I think the only player to be concerned about is Pleks.

59. PeterD says:

Nice job …me thinks you must be a goalie fan.

Only comment is that I thought for sure the Price save on LaRose should have been the #1 save…way more important time in the game than the Thomas save…besides I’m a bit biased.

60. avatar_58 says:

Nice to see Hamilton is going even more south than usual. Ti-Cats AND the Bulldogs might take off.

61. Born in a Bad Year says:

If you need more evidence that our scorers are being misused on the penalty kill…

We are 27th in the NHL in third period scoring, behind even the Leafs.

In the first and second period we are 19th and 15th respectively.

62. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

One in the intro when the “Top. 10. Saves.” appears is Water by Breaking Benjamin.

The song that plays throughout most of the video is the instrumental version of Prayer of the Refugee by the Rise Against.

63. PeterD says:

The point of the guy in front of the net is to put up a wall in front of the goalie to block the goalies view of the puck…if he can’t see it he can’t stop it…be strong and beligerent enough to stand hard against the defenders and try for a tip or rebound…but pimarily it is to put up a screen so the goalie can’t find the puck or the shot.  It is not to go to the net and then stand beside it and wait for a rebound all the while letting the goalie follow the puck and keep his eye on it.

Other than Gionta the talented guys just don’t want to pay the price for doing that..Darche and Moen will pay that price even if they have hands of stone…

Maybe on hte powerplay we should put Hammer or PK in the front of the net spot…afterall as defenders they can’t be afraid of being hit with a puck…that’s their job.

64. christophor says:

Anymore big yet awkwardly used words in your arsenal?

And league leading? pfffttt. He’s doing just fine now that his wingers are scoring more, and perhaps he would have done less terribly before if Gio popped a few in. He’s good now, which is good news.

But as much as some think everything’s Gomez’ fault, you’d never think along the following lines: “hey, maybe Gomez had terrible numbers for awhile because he sucked for awhile”. Nope, not an option.

On the Gomez front, you’ve been as irrational as the guys celebrating his injury, just irrational on the other extreme. What happened to, “Gomez must be playing well because the team is winning; it’s not all about stats!”. Well, according to your logic, Gomez is playing terribly now because the team is losing; forget 10 assists in 10 games because the team is losing, so he must be playing badly.

How about the reasonable option: he sucked for a while and the team won in spite of him? Now, he’s playing very well but the team is unfortunately sucking as a whole and so losing in spite him.

G’day.

LOL… loved the JM clip :)

66. PeterD says:

Why?  Neither AK or Pouliot have the balls to pay the price in front of the net.

I like the soundtrack. Who is it?

68. Habs_love says:

two new videos i jsut saw, about JM and Gomez

“All I can say to the young players is, enjoy every moment of it. Just enjoy every moment of it.”
    - Lemieux

69. Ronin says:

Time for the reverse jinx Boone.  Canadiens are without arguably their top 3 defensemen tonight in markov, gorges and hammer….against the F. Penguins….could get ugly, just ask Tampa.

Dude, it’s not like Gomez is some sort of a bargain. At his salary HE has to score at elite levels, and has to have at least a point per game ALL SEASON LONG, not only last 10 games. What kind of deal is that? Let’s get a ridiculously expensive play and then get other expensive players that will allow that player to produce.

If Gomez’s linemates were scoring… what about if Gomer were scoring? I mean, how freaking awesome would that be.

71. punkster says:

OK, now how do I stop this itching?

***Subbang!!!***

72. VancouverHab says:

Scott Gomez has 10 assists in his last 10 games and you’re still ragging on him?

I’be said before, this is a pathology not a analytical response.

(And if Gomez’s linemates were scoring at anything near elite level, he would have league-leading numbers….)

73. darcy1 says:

time to tank & get a toronto-type draft pick (just kidding!)

What’s that rumbling sound I hear in the distance?

75. Bill says:

… sounds large and metallic …

Full Breezer 4 Life

76. punkster says:

;(

***Subbang!!!***

77. mrhabby says:

buyers or sellers. i guess we will find out soon enough….WTF on Gorges.

78. ZepFan2 says:

Et tu, HH?

Getting that nostalgic feeling again? ;)

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

79. mrhabby says:

buyers or sellers. i guess we will find out soon enough….WTF on Gorges.

80. avatar_58 says:

Wtf Halak, I was JUST about to say “get those leafs” and FIFTEEN seconds in they score???

81. darcy1 says:

if we can get a king’s ransom for a Hammer/Spatch/Gomez type player (30+, last half of his contract) I would say we should be sellers. . . we’re not going to the ECF this year without markov AND georges

82. Rugger says:

Commodore put on waivers today, any help for our D?

83. Graves says:

Gorges gone with a knee injury bad enough to require season-ending surgery, and somehow he was actually playing on it for who knows how long. And I thought the guy was tough before…wow. Just wow.

Does anyone think that if the team keeps losing and nosedives into the conference basement, all these injuries to key players, combined with a fairly large number of UFAs and RFAs next season could precipitate a fire sale before the trade deadline? I sincerely hope we bust the slump, but all these injuries…I have to say, my optimism has taken a severe hit.

I just hope Gauthier doesn’t do the opposite and start trading away picks and prospects to plug the holes with short-term fixes.

84. Rugger says:

double post as the server died when I hit send

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t know, do you happen to live by railroad tracks?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

86. darcy1 says:

87. JIMVINNY says:

That is 2 BRUTAL missed calls.  Looks like we already know who’s winning this game.

88. Rainrocket16 says:

I think we should pick him up!

Seriously… servers are not that expensive nowadays.

Hah, loved it!

91. darcy1 says:

Boone – no Quick Hits? (just kidding) I perfer the original ALN compared to having to wait til the morning to read your game analysis.

——————-

”If you’ve only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It’ll seem like forever. ” Pat Foley (Blackhawks broadcaster)

Hey, I have a question. Did Cammelleri win a single one on one battle this season? I didn’t think it was possible but he annoys me more than Gomez now.

93. Flabadagub says:

I’m with you, seems he makes dumber plays than AK.

Speed Metal… which bands? I am looking to update my music collection a bit. Have been stuck in pre 2000 for a a while.

95. 134 says:

Missed the game and just watched the highlights and the shootout video now. Surprised by the coach’s choice of players in the shootout- i.e. Pleks wasn’t one of them…

96. Flabadagub says:

that is an 80′s logo.

97. Flabadagub says:

Motorhead is really good…

98. Propwash says:

Wishful thinking, but its time for the forwards to step up and start scoring goals to compensate for the loss of another great D man. Anybody know what the cause of Georges injury?

99. Captain aHab says:

Habs need to send Kristo a box of t-shirts…not a bright move by the kid.

On Emelin, I think I’ve stopped believing he’ll ever come over. He may just be pretending interest to drive up his price in the KHL.

100. thorandresson says:

Any one read Godin’s prospects report card?  He mentioned that he wore an Oilers jersey during the interview, is he some sort of joker?  I don’t like it, I saw we trade to Edmonton.

101. Tobiass says:

But that is my point. SK did have a good streak here when he came onto the team. Then his head got huge and he stopped with the effort. Not the first time this will occur and not the last, I dont mean for us but around the league. Rookies are traded because they under-perform all the time. Same as with vets, when they get traded they realize they are on their last chance and miraculously start playing well. Problem is most time its short term. You cant just pin that on our org when it a common occurence.

So much for a development program.  If your 21 year old son screws up, are you going to say tough luck, you’re an adult now?

All of the players on Team Canada are over 18 and are therefore adults.  I guess we should cut them all loose seeing they lost last night.

AK46 and Pouliot are 25 and 24 yet we still keep holding their hands even though they play like crap half the time.

Each player develops at a different rate and has to be treated accordingly.  Some get it right away without much help, others take longer.  We were in a rebuilding stage so I thought we would be more open minded when it came to handling assets.  Let’s at least try and get something back for them.

103. Chuck says:

Just think… if we could keep them from sucking on the same nights, it’d almost being like having a full-time productive player added to the roster.  :)

Centre Hice exclusive: Team Canada 2nd intermission video

104. avatar_58 says:

Hockey mistakes are fixable. Habits can be learned.

However not getting on the bus? Showing up out of shape? Skipping practices? Whining like a baby when things don’t go your way? These aren’t hockey problems, they are personality problems. Sergei thought he was bigger than the team and “deserved” to be played.

Explain to me how Sergei acting like a little baby is Martin’s fault?

105. Da Hema says:

An alternate perspective is required.

At one time it was said sports builds character. Today sports appears to destroy it. Young hockey players are treated like gods from the age of 10. Teachers give them Bs for doing nothing in school and communities turn blind eyes to their misbehaviours and even criminal activities. By the time young athletes today enter their “profession,” they have such refined and well-developed senses of entitlement they are practically uncoachable. Sergei is a perfect example of this.

As for your comment about 21 year-olds screwing up, let us think of Guy Lafleur. Did his “parenting philosophy” do anything to help his son in the long run?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

DH – Good post.  Your points are well taken.

107. Tobiass says:

Players like this are pretty common, we just dont pay that much attention to problem draft picks when they are picked by other teams. We dont read their media. Simple as that really. And I wouldnt say our picks have been that bad, other teams have been much worse. Yeah, 90′s and early 2000′s we sucked at it, but much better these days. Not all that glitters is gold.

108. Ed says:

I couldn’t agree more. We all knew that Sergei had the talent, & now he’s starting to show it in Nashville. He has 16 pts in the last 16 games, & his ice time has gone way up. He is only 23 years old, & appears headed on a good career in the NHL. I don’t know why Mikey thinks he will go back to Belarus. He came over here to play Junior A, & has never looked back.

Maybe he was a jerk in Montreal, but who knows this for sure. What I do know is that Nashville are showing all kinds of confidence in him, & must be glad to have gotten him for such a bargain.

109. thorandresson says:

You’re being way too reasonable!

I think you missed my point.  It’s not the picks but rather what we do (or don’t do) with them.

111. avatar_58 says:

Well they are adults, not children. You can’t hold their hands if they choose to act like kids

112. Captain aHab says:

When Hunter was coaching him, he was a late round pick and wasn’t guaranteed anything. Don’t know that Boucher had no problem with him…didn’t he run off at some point? And Trotz’ team is many many km from Chez Parée. ;-D

It’s obvious you haven’t been to Nashville:-)

On a serious note, the worst thing the Habs ever did was call-up SK74 before he was ready.  Just like MaxPac.  They didn’t have any depth players so they rushed a kid when injuries hit.

We do things differently now.  We trade our depth players (OB, Laps) so that when injuries hit we’re still screwed.

114. thorandresson says:

I had stopped too, but somehow this year I’m being lead to believe it could be a possibility.   Anyways it’s this summer or never.

115. Captain aHab says:

If he eventually comes over, it’ll likely be for a large chunk of cash.

116. thorandresson says:

Either way, without Hamrlik, it’s looking very likely that our beloved Habs will lose tonight.  But who knows, they might surprise us.

117. sidhu says:

Picard and Weber, together?  We might as well start the game with 2 goals on the scoreboard for Pitt.

Yes, Weber has played much better of late, but I would have preferred to split these guys up.

Picard-Weber sounds almost as good as Brisbois-MAB… but not quite.

119. MikeMcLaren says:

And nowhere near as good as Traverse-Brisebois.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

they might… they mihgt lose by a much wider margin than anticipated.

121. Graves says:

My French isn’t the greatest, but I like what Godin had to say about Tinordi – at least, I think I do. It sounds like he’s beginning to adjust and take on more responsibilities after a pretty rough start in the OHL. Still room for improvement, of course, but it’s good to hear that he’s on the right track.

122. Wayne says:

I’m inclined to think this was really the case and he might have thought things would improve. That’s the downside to being a warrior.

123. thorandresson says:

I wonder if Gorges’ injury got worse because he decided to play through it

124. Chuck says:

The Habs will go all Russian on the Pens tonight.

Centre Hice exclusive: Team Canada 2nd intermission video

125. Will Longlade says:

Like many others, I thought Cameron should have called a time-out after the second goal by the ruskies or perhaps considered yanking Visentin to change the momentum. Not sure it would have mattered though because many of our guys played like they were either out of gas or crumbling under the pressure. The pressure to win finally seemed to get to them. After an excellent tourney, our guy Leblanc also came back to earth in a thump in the third period. Minus 2 I think and guilty of some turnovers and lost battles for the puck (as were many other players). Seemed like some of the players had a very bad case of nerves and it got them off their games. Ouch.

126. StevieRay says:

Time out for sure was needed … also im hindsight maybe pulling the goalie would not of been such a bad move ..after all the Russians did it and won and if you recall the Americans did it last year  ..and won !

Poor Cameron ..his stock has really dropped ..from the penthouse to the dog house !

127. JVF says:

Ha! They should play be that JM clip on the Jumbotron!

128. habguy says:

so who’ the top draft pick?

let’s concentrate on getting him.

this team is going nowhere.

no D, no offence, inconsistent goaltending.

time to pack it in boys!

129. TomNickle says:

Sean Couturier – and your attitude makes me want to vomit.

130. punkster says:

You must have enjoyed the game last night.

***Subbang!!!***

131. JVF says:

We don’t have anough fun at The Keg. Hockey’s become too serious. They should take that clip, include other players from this year’s edition (Markov and Gorges on crutches? Hamrlik and Spacek with walking aids? Gomez, Cammallari and Gionta as bank robbers?) and make it into a full-blown video!

They could have a laugh for ONCE!

132. JVF says:

It’s really too bad, because at the beginning of the year, with the promise of Markov coming back, our defence was top-rated and was going to be one of our strengths come playoff time.

Now, it’s all gone for naught…

133. Habnofear says:

Our D was too small and thus finally got permanently injured ,no surprise too me at all!Maybe P.G. will make Desharnais a Dman… For any job to be done properly YOU NEED THE RIGHT TOOL!

You people are totally missing the bigger picture here. Now Habs have a totally legitimate excuse for ending where they are going to end in the end of this season. “We would have won the conference again, but we lost Gorges, Markov and most importantly we didn’t have MAB”. What team would ever recover from such a blow?

135. punkster says:

But we`ll always have the Breeze.

***Subbang!!!***

136. SeriousFan09 says:

You lose your best overall defencemen and arguably your top defensive defencemen and that’s a mountain for any team to overcome. Do you think losing Letang and Orpik for the season would do wonders for PIT’s chances? Would Pronger and Timmonen missing in PHI mean they’re going to the Cup Finals? What happens if DET loses Stuart and Lidstrom?

Some players because of their abilities and dare I say it… intangibles are killer losses to their squad.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

137. OneTimer says:

you sound so happy!

138. pricefor25 says:

excuse my ingnorance..but..when u say season over…does include the playoffs as well? ..if we manage to get there.

139. Bob_Sacamano says:

Why do people keep responding to that wum? Only because his name is “habguy” instead of “leafguy” like it should be?

Loved it. Great game. Loved the outcome too!

141. RetroMikey says:

SK74? Who cares?  He’ll be playing in Belarus next year.  That is whoever wants him.

But congrats to a fun loving bunch of Russians who came from out of nowwhere to win the title.

What a resilient team!  Kudos to a hard bunch of fun loving guys who deserved the title IMO coming back from 3-0 in the third period.

Perhaps we were too confident going into the third in the mind of the coaches, players and yes, even us fans?

Anyways, Merry Orthodox Christmas to everyone tomorrow on this holy day celebrated by many!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

142. jimhasbeen says:

“He’ll be playing in Belarus next year.”

What the hell does that even mean??

the guy has 16 points in his last 16 games for the preds and is well on his way to becoming the top 6 forward that we gave away because Jacques didn’t like his face.

Mikey – I wonder if it’s too easy for everyone to just write SK74 off as a spoiled brat.

THe Habs have had quite a few ‘problem children’ and our answer is to always ship them out of town for little or no return.  Is there no other way to deal with them, or show enough patience until they develop into something useful?

Failiing that, why is that we keep drafting players like this?  Doesn’t some of the blame or responsibility fall on the management team?

Posters will reply that all of those players were jerks or hotdogs  and it’s great to have them on another team.

But in a league where success depends on developing cheap, young players, we seem to be woefully inadequate in that important aspect of the game.

144. JVF says:

Personally, I think it’s a shame we ever let SK74 get away. Loads of talent with an attitude, sure, but so what? We’re supposed to like players who have an attitude. “Du chien”, in French. Besides, Dale Hunter in London, Guy Boucher in Hamilton and Barry Trotz in Nashville haven’t had too many problems handling him.

Why couldn’t we manage it?

Oh yeah, right, because we’re the Montréal Canadiens and we don’t take s**t from nobody… so nobody talented comes to play here!

145. avatar_58 says:

Oh come on, he was lazy and uninterested when given chances. Even during the PLAYOFFS

146. TheDagger says:

This team needs to move back to the Montreal Forum!!

147. Wayne says:

I’m stunned that Gorges is out! Was hoping it wasn’t that bad. PG’s in tough to salvage this team and ready it for the playoffs. The players themselves MUST close ranks and reconstitute last year’s late season chemistry ASAP. There’s still hope for these bums yet. GO HABS GO>

148. geo_habsgo says:

hearing rumours that they are considering resigning breezer for the duration of the season.