First F. Place

81 points.

First in the Eastern Conference. Third, behind Detroit and Dallas, in the whole  National F. Hockey League.

The Montre-F-al Canadiens.

And now that Canadiens have beaten him twice in a row – with a chance to make it three on March 11, when they return from their western road trip– I’ve decided to strip the coveted F. off New Jersey’s goaltender.

He’s Martin Brodeur. And he stopped 23 of 25 shots.

The Canadiens’ goaltender – known in New Jersey as Carey F. Price – stopped 31 of 32. Later, in the room, Price talked about being a Brodeur fan as he was growing up and how awesome it was to look down the ice and see the great Devils’ goalie.

It was a particularly pleasant view late in the game, when Bryan Smolinski and Maxim Lapierre took turns tying up the puck in the corner near Brodeur.

As the clock ticked down on a one-goal lead, it was textbook defensive hockey.

"A team like that has such good skill and they execute very well," Smolinski said of the Devils. "For us to waste some time, I guess it was 30, 40 seconds, and to get some fresh bodies out, they were a little discombobulated.

"Smart play," Smolinski added. "That was a big step forward for us. It didn’t matter who was out there, I think it would have been the same thing. The philosophy that we have was executed."

"It was a lot of work," Price said of the pivotal Smolinski shift. You got to tip your hat to them."

1. dudefella says:

He doesn’t, really… a few months ago he was calling Lapierre first “Maxim”, then “Laperriere”

Gotta love RDS and/or CJAD!

2. stephen says:

Right, that name does ring a bell. A death knoll, in this context…

3. Sulemaan says:

Agreed but if you had your pick – who would you go with?

4. Sulemaan says:

The name Andre Boudrias comes to mind for some reason but I could be very wrong…

5. NLhabsfan says:

Tuner Stevenson was a draft pick and favorite here…Could fight when he wanted to…but not much scoring ability.

6. Mickey says:

too many leafs games will do that to a man…

7. stephen says:

Much has been said about those dark days of drafting, but I have never stopped to wonder who the director of scouting was back then.

Anyone know?

8. Mickey says:

Markov sending some booms. Koivu so close. Great Pressure

9. MikeMcLaren says:

CBC cameraman cannot keep up with the cross-ice passes!

Annoying as all get out!

10. Deano says:

I normally am disappointed that the HABs are not shown in Toronto. However, that now I know the Boob Cole is calling the HABs on the CBC, I am glad I have to listen over the internet.

11. Sulemaan says:

LOL! (My wife is looking at me while I laugh. Nice one Mike…)

12. Mickey says:

Gui Baby….

13. Les-Habitants says:

That should be a penalty shot…but, to be honest we have a better chance of scoring with Kovy on the ice 😀

14. MikeMcLaren says:

I don’t want to know where the syrup tap is.

15. Sulemaan says:

Sorry but that tree has been permanently implanted.

16. Sulemaan says:

I know – playing with fire.

But you just made yourself an accomplice Habs-Kat…

17. NLhabsfan says:

Cole must have gotten the Maple Leaf tree removed from his but.

18. MikeMcLaren says:

An interesting thing happens when the Canadiens are up on teams by multiple goals in the third period.

Carbonneau starts experimenting with lines.

For some reason I prefer that method much more than the desperation line shuffling he seems to do if the team is down by two or more goals.

That’s how you get things like Hell’s Bels, etc.

19. Les-Habitants says:

This is going to be a good game.

20. Sulemaan says:

Way back in 1990 we drafted Tuner Stevenson. And Martin Brodeur was drafted 8 spots later. Thank God we have Trevor Timmins now…

21. Habs-Kat says:

If he does get a shutout, we know who to blame 😉
    You run that risk here 😛

Just for good measure:

22. Mr Wonderful says:

Bob OLD is doing the play by play. Amazed he knows any of the Habs.

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
    Sir Winston Churchill

23. stephen says:

Some good fight from Smolinski on his last sequence. Would like to see more of that from him…

24. MikeMcLaren says:

Oooh, to what pleasure do we owe getting Bob Cole do our game?

Sounds like Greg Millen too? Two Habs-haters. Fantastic.

25. Mickey says:

Guy Carbonneau is not going to mess with a winning combination, but I’d like to see Ryder, who’s playing really well, get another go on the Koivu line. I don’t want my man Sergei demoted, but it would be cool to see him play with Mikhail Grabovski

I agree

26. NLhabsfan says:

Brodeur can kiss my …. I hate that guy!!!

27. CDK says:

Ottawa Senators. 1992-93.

28. Exit716 says:

Shanahan’s wife is American. She didnt want to come to Montreal Hopefully this summer things can be rectified. Brendan and his wife can come to Montreal do the big song and dance and at the end Gainey can tell him NO!! or give him the league minimum.
    We don’t need the Mimico phoney.

29. wild flower says:

To be fair, she is just picking up on a theme that has been talked about by many media sources. On TSN’s Off The Record, Michael Landsberg pushed this question at Cliff Fletcher repeatedly.

30. Ian G Cobb says:

You know the hockey intellect in T.O. just Oooses sh-t.

Don Cherry included

31. sag says:

read that…sounds like a great guy….kids have to go to school to play. Love it. More guys like him and kids would play a lot less “nofriendo”

32. Sulemaan says:

Let’s hope Brodeur gets a shutout tonight!

(There I said it early. Now let’s kick their ass.)

33. saku11 says:

that game went from the worst to the best I had ever been to. Best 40 bucks I’ve ever spent.

34. showey47 says:

Would you expect anything less from someone who is involved with cbc hnic? Such a stupid comment should be able to land her a job with jfj and mike milbury on tsn’s trade deadline next season.

35. Les-Habitants says:

Word is the Paul Martin isn’t playing tonight.

If that’s true, that’s amazing

36. Les-Habitants says:

Yah, and there was a great article about all the work he is doing to support hockey and extra-cirricular activites, tying in playing time with school ect. Great article
    And I think it was in the Gazette too….

37. sag says:

Didn’t Juneau have Native roots?

38. the_larry says:

Joe Juneau too Boone!

39. Ian G Cobb says:

I can not believe how stupid the CBC reporter Cassie Cambell is. She actually asked a Toronto player if it might be a good idea if T.O. should just suck it up playing the rest of the year to finish last to secure the first over all draft pick. How unprofessional of her and the CBC for even mentioning such a thought.

If a team was ever to pull such a stunt, they should be banned for 5 years. What a stupid person for even asking a player, and she played the game.

40. zamboni says:

I wish we were playing a road game, I would have felt more confident.
    The pressure at home might be too high for notre Habs.
    Can’t have a better litmus test I guess.

41. Flake says:

Can you imagine how people that actually left the game feel? They had a ticket to the game of the century (maybe) and then walked out

42. Les-Habitants says:

Hotter then a ….wow
    Mike, you never cease to amaze me. lol

43. Les-Habitants says:

1st place….

My god, Sportsnet and TSN eat your hearts out!

Just like to point out that Red Fisher had picked the Habs to make the playoffs….but even the Living Legend of Sports Journalism didn’t see a no.1 finish.

Here we go! It’s either 1st or 4th! Guts or Glory!

44. gumper says:

Yeah I saw him too. He seemed to be suggesting that guys like Hossa don’t want to sign in Montreal, completely forgetting that that was a trade not a UFA signing. We could have had Hossa easily. All we had to do was give up two first rounders and a couple of roster players. Guess Gainey must be really dense, eh?

45. Ali says:

i’m as giddy as a schoolgirl who knows shes going to be named the prom queen…but i digress. One thing stands between our Habs and the conference lead, Martin F. Brodeur. And thats a capital F.

46. Les-Habitants says:

If we can show up and beat New Jersey again, then the monkey is officially off our backs. It took heroic efforts and an amazing game to win last time, but I want to see the Habs coming up crashing and banging.

Having used 4 lines, the Habs should be fresher then the Devils who had a dismal outing yesterday.

Martin F. F. F. Brodeur is in nets.
    But he’s the past…and well, I guess the present. But the future is now (pretty witty, eh?).
    Helllooooo Carey

47. Bill says:

I dreamed last night that the Habs lost and Price got pulled. The good news is that in my dream they were playing the Sabres. The bad news is that I’ve started dreaming about watching Canadiens games again. I need help.

48. sag says:

Does that mean you turned the Rangers game off?? I have been wondering how many people missed that comeback because they turned the tube off.

49. teamplayer says:

are you sure? its uncharted territories, it could be scary.
    but then again ive also heard good things about it too

50. gohabzzzz says:

omygod…..I hope we win tonight!!!, but, marty brodeur has probably come on a mission tonight after losing last night and well…it’s montreal and he is always extra motivated. That is why that I’m not watching the whole game if A) we’re playing bad B) they score the first goal and we’re playing bad…but if we’re leading and playing like crap, well…I’ll watch:) I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens

51. V. says:

Air Farce live last night, the difference between Kosovo’s bid for independence and Quebec’s:

civil wars
    ethnic cleansings
    corruption (i actually forget the last point, might not be this)

ice storms
    english signs

haha. HNIC sucks.

52. doug says:

boone: “it doesn’t get any better than this.”

my response – agree with the going after the division, the conference, playing so well, etc. having said that, though, there are 29 other teams i’d prefer to play in a big game than the sleepy/boring devils. just hope they don’t bore us to death and that we’re in their head from the comeback just before the all-star break.

53. J.T. says:

Come on Habs! Don’t be afraid of first place…it’s not that scary. Really, it’s not.

54. teamplayer says:

was it not p.j stock who tried that redbull crash thing in quebec? i saw it on tsn and he could not handle that course. fell so much and went so slow.

55. teamplayer says:

how about players dont wanna sign here as ufa b/c gainey wont overpay for them as much as others do. and to get big signings for cheaper we wouldve had to have a better team then what we had.
    Maybe after this season if we dont win the cup, players may wanna come play with our youth

56. wd40 says:

i can’t believe they have this dud on HNIC. oh… right..

57. usversusthem says:

Yeah, and as I recall, Shanahan explained in a Gazette interview that the pressure wasn’t the reason behind him not coming here. He may of course have been engaging in a little white-lying so as not to hurt anyone’s feelings, but you have to remember that his point is valid… some players would rather play in a city that cares about hockey than the Sun Belt…

As for the guys we did sign, he overlooked Hamrlik because he didn’t help his point, but then mentioned him later on as support for another point… kinda cherry-picking, logic-wise.

And the “Youth-Movement-as-least-worst-solution”… that may be the case, but we’re in the hunt for first in the east, as you said… the teams that made the biggest free agent splashes are not. Figure it out, P.J.

58. Sulemaan says:

P.J. Stock is such a tool.. He says no one wanted to sign in Montreal as a free agent. Gee, does Roman Hamrlik, Andrei Markov and Alexei Kovalev count as mice nuts? All of them were either UFAs or going to be.

It’s easy to mention that Brier and Shanahan didn’t sign her and mention Smolinski and Kostopolous are just sitting in the press box. This guy couldn’t cut it with the team and now he get his facts wrong.

I love this gem, “They have to go with the youth movement because no one will sign with Montreal.” Guess we would be better off as Toronto?

The fact that we are #1 in our division, #2 in the conference and Toronto is #12 position has nothing to do with it. Granted some UFAs don’t want to play here because of the media, language issue and taxation but a blanket statement is wrong.