Fifth place!

And your Montreal Canadiens didn’t even have to play a game to reach that lofty position.

Washington’s loss to Phoenix dropped the struggling Caps to sixth.

AUDIO from Monday’s practice: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Max Pacioretty | Mathieu Darche | P.K. Subban

Cammalleri may be back in Calgary

Pat Hickey on fighting

Toronto Sports Network on P.K.

Reactions to Mario Lemieux’s statement

Roy MacGregor on Lemieux

Leafs deal Versteeg, look to July 1

Damien Cox on Versteeg deal

Fifth place?

Uh, no.

Playoffs?

Probably.

But not for sure.

A brutal night at the Bell.

And 1-4-1 against mighty Ottawa this season.

1. coachdoug says:

Good deal…have a few wings at La Cage for those of us at home watching on TV!

Let’s hope there is no boo birds tonight…good vibes…big four pointer!

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

2. Robert L says:

He’d be Trapper trapped in Radar’s body!

3. jbroderi says:

Good point, I tend not to cruise around work going we, we,we.  I just say it on forms, or when I am talking to other habs fans, like “we need this one tonight”  or something.  But yeah, I can see how it would drive people nuts!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Congratulations! I got reds behind the visitor’s bench for the Oct. 31st Habs-Leafs game, it’s an incredible experience being that close to the action.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. punkster says:

Wow. My buddy just scored 2 reds behind the bench for tonight. I’m pumped!

Two things I will do tonight:

- Savour each moment

- Cheer loudly for all our Habs

Two things I will not do tonight:

- Drink any of the swill they pass off as beer in that place

- Boo any member of the Habs organization

6. Mr.Hazard says:

Nah man, when I say “we”, I mean “our” team. As in, Montreal’s team. Besides, haven’t you see the huge ad on the Bell? Nous sommes VOS Canadiens. They’re ours. I don’t think it’s at all comparable to saying “we” when referring to fictitious characters on the LOTR.

Oh yes, and I’m employed by the team lol. So I guess I have a more legit reason than most.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

7. nick says:

I disagree… It annoys the hell out of me too.

Sure theres the emotional attachment… But having someone watch the game on TV, come into work and saying “wow, we played poorly last night!”, really isn’t any different than someone watching a movie and saying “yesterday we travelled with Gandalf to middle earth”.

8. sidhu says:

Maybe Boone can help clarify Todd’s status — it’s clear people hate him (I’ve seen far more negative comments about him than positive), but yet Todd is still around.  Is he under a long-term contract or something?  Or is it one of those ‘people hate him and therefore read to disagree with him’ type situations?

9. Max_a_million says:

Thankfully I had nothing to do with him winning any awards.

Yes of course there are many ways to serve your country other than enlisting … running away isn’t one of them though.

There absolutely no need for his persistent and incessant personal attacks on people.  Whatever you think of Patrice Brisebois I believe strongly all he ever did for the Canadiens was his best, as I imagine is the case for everyone he is always attacking.  The personalness of his attacks is just completely uncalled for.  If you think management should bring in another player express that, but that is an entirely different thing than what he was doing.

I have paid my hard earned money to this team for my whole life, I have given them my time, my interest, my adoration, my emotions …  I have definitely earned the right to say “we”.  For goodness sake I pay their salaries as do we all.

Why can’t Jack Todd take the time to find something redeeming and worthwhile to praise for a change.

If I say “we” I mean us fans. When referring to the Habs I as rule use “the Habs” and refrain from using “we”. When “we” win the Cup though, I’ll be all “we” this and “we” that. ;-)

11. Harani says:

True. just think it’s weird that a team with such a record would even afford to party the night BEFORE a big four-pointer.

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

12. sidhu says:

Who would Boone be if he was in MASH — Klinger?  Rizzo?  Sidney Freedman?  Or, dare I say, Father Mulcahey??

13. JF says:

Yes, Brodeur has played too many games, but he got a long break at the Olympics, since he only played two games there.  He’s looked very good since.

Miller is great, but he might be getting tired after playing most of Buffalo’s games this season as well as all the U.S. games at the Olympics.  If he’s not hot the Sabres are beatable.

Atlanta is playing well, but their defense is still vulnerable.

I think Boston will make it.  Rask is very good, and they play a grinding, close-checking game which wears opponents down.

I think Ottawa will turn things around (I just hope not tonight).  They had a great month before the Olympics.  But I don’t think they’ll go far in the playoffs; goaltending will be their Achilles heel as usual.

14. jbroderi says:

just a note, my bum is not really this cute in real life!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

15. jbroderi says:

Right, I don’t say we because I think that I deserve credit when they win, I just say we because of the emotional attachment I have to the team.   I have watched them for close to 25 years so Jack Todd can kiss everyone of my bum hairs, cause I’m going to keep saying we!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

16. jbroderi says:

mAYBE HE SHOULD MOVE TO ATLANTA AND COVER THE THRASHERS THEN!!  what a dumb putz!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

17. likehoy says:

well you don’t have to be winning to have a good time :P. but it’s weird to party before your game…usually they party after the game

- Team Halak V.S. Team Price…Montreal Canadiens Fans are similar to 14 year-old Girls going through Puberty.

18. likehoy says:

a lot of people don’t like it when fans refer to their team as “we” cause they have nothing to do with the team’s success…but I find that’s bullcrap cause we put a lot of influence into our team’s success with our media hype, our razzing of players, and our overall support!

19. notbigbird says:

Great news. I really like the idea of kissing an early playoff exit goodbye.

20. GrimJim says:

I’m sure you could find someone from Edmonton to do it …

21. Gary320 says:

My biggest advice, ask around. Don’t only go to one scalper.. go to a few.. eventually they get really despret.

Say your first scalper says 69$ each for 4 tickets.

Go to the next scalper, if he says 70 or 75$ for 4 tickets in about the same section, tell him the other guy wants to give you 69… if he gives you less than 69,… say.. I’ll come back!.. go ask another scalper if he’s willing to  lower becasue someone else gave you 4 tickets for less than 69 each..

Like I said.. just repeat until you get  aprice you like and that you know won’t get lower.. it may be time consuming, but these guys REALLY want money.. so they’ll low their prices easily.

Also, I’d take a look at the BOX OFFICE. Maybe they have MOlson tickets available.

22. RetroMikey says:

Teams are finally getting their mojo going like Atlanta and Boston clawing for an 8th place final spot or will we be content for an 8th place spot and face Washington in the first round and float for the next couple of weeks and play .500 hockey?

I would not want to face New Jersy, Buffalo or Pittsburgh in the first round and you can kiss an early playoff exit goodbye if we face these teams.

We have a better chance knocking off the Capitals in the first round IMO or even Philly.

Next round, anything is possible but the first round is the key to our fate in the playoffs, seedings are very important in the first round.

It will not be an easy game aginst Ottawa tonight, they will rebound from their losing skid and rebound.  Maybe not tonight against us but some other team as the season winds down.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

23. habber86 says:

So… got totally screwed over by someone who I thought had agreed to sell me 4 tickets to tonight’s game. Was planning to drive up from Ottawa for the game with friends. Now it’s time to scramble.

Anyone in Montreal have experience getting tickets game day in front of the Bell Centre? What would a reasonable price for 4 nosebleed seats be, and any advice or tips in general would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

24. joeybarrie says:

Trying to change the political subject back to nonsense…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. joeybarrie says:

I, of course, meant simply that he can write a sentence well.

I do not think that you should be FORCED to go and fight. I do not think it cowardly at all. There are other ways of repaying your society. By the way he won an award for his book based on his experience dodging the draft, named after one of Canada’s best writers.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. notbigbird says:

Got me laughing as he didn’t capitalize bush. It’s an easy jump to make though.

27. cautiousoptimist says:

JD wrote:

“Speaking of medical dramas, Jack Todd informed us this morning he that
    doesn’t like it when people employ the term “we” when discussing the
    Habs. Apparently, it really, really grates on him.”

My list of things that really grate on me:

1. Jack Todd

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  28. joeybarrie says:

I certainly didnt want to say anything about dodging the Draft. I would have been at the border faster than him. Actually one of the few things i respect about him is his dodging a war he doesnt believe in…

If I came off knocking him for being a draft dodger I want to make it clear I look at that as a compliment.

I dont know if the war was due to Bush, since he didn’t take office until 20 years later. Im pretty sure Nixon was in the Oval Office when Todd jumped ship. Bush was a member of the house of representatives at the time…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. Harani says:

By the looks of the way they partied last night at Buona, the Sens do NOT look a team that has lost 8 out of 9. They apparently had a team dinner there but Pascal Lecalire was absent. Here are some pics for you curious ones. Habs have got to get the Sens tonight.

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

30. Willy the bum says:

By now, the Habs should understand every opponent’s weaknesses, and that’s key to their advantages in taking down the teams in coming games…

31. Max_a_million says:

Jack Todd is a ZERO, pass it on.

32. JF says:

This game is likely to be determined by goaltending.  Neither Leclaire nor Elliot have been particularly good since the Olympic break, but both have played well against us earlier this season.  I think the Senators’ AHL goaltender, Mike Brodeur, who also stoned us, is injured.  The Sens were going through a scoring drought a few games ago, but they scored 4 in their last game.  If we play the way we were until Saturday, we should be able to beat them, but it won’t be easy.  All losing streaks come to an end, and theirs might be due to end tonight.  I would have liked to see us practice yesterday just to get our synchronization back.

33. Max_a_million says:

Jack Todd is a good writer?!?  What have you been smoking?  What a negative jerk he is with his lists of bad people he hates so much, never anything positive to say.  There is too much positive about OUR wonderful team for all of his horrible negativity.  Jack Todd is a terrible writer.  We are the greatest hockey team in history!

There is something wrong with dodging the draft regardless of the validity of the war.  It’s called cowardice and incredibly unpatriotic.  America gave Jack Todd a whole heck of a lot, and I guess he thinks he deserved it all for free.  Thank goodness there are a lot of brave boys and girls who don’t run, but stand up for their country even when it is tough.  Thank goodness for heros.  Jack Todd is a terrible writer, a coward, and definitely a ZERO!

34. jbroderi says:

i think you’ll see a better effort than saturday, (at least I hope)  we need shots at the net on the PP

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

35. arcosenate says:

I still think you have to be more positive about Saturday’s game, good teams manage to salvage a point when they obviously don’t have their mojo working on a particular night.  Habs struggled to get things going all game but still dug pretty deep to get that point.

Tonight will require shooting from every angle, with Ottawa’s goaltending as weak as it has been, lots of shots might work.

36. Mr.Hazard says:

Yessireebob! Good story. Too bad our Selanne is gone :(

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

37. Harani says:

On a side note, it was really nice to see Teemu Selanne get #600 last night. Totally classy guy and deserves all the accolades. Also nice of the league to grant permission to the Ducks to pour out of the bench when it happened. Special moment. You can watch it here if you missed it!

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

38. krob1000 says:

Oh Lv Karma!

You still trolling me? Speak sense and the truth please because you’re speaking neither right now.

40. coachdoug says:

The Flyers have angered the Hockey Gods year after year and are getting their just reward…I will not be happy unless they fall out of the playoff picture…The only thing that might save them is a burnt offering of Prongers home furnishings…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

They’re the team that played in the last two Cup finals winning one of them. The Habs are the team that would make all the king’s horses and even all the king’s men blush.

42. ooder says:

that’s karma for what those thugs did to Kharlamov all those years ago

muahahah

revenge is sweet

not to mention the players they have injured this year

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, the Flyers are heading for a rather inglorious exit from the playoffs or at this rate, could fall right out. Missing a 40-goal scorer and your #1 and #2 goalies, I’m surprised glass-man Briere hasn’t gone down yet.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. jbroderi says:

thanks, hopefully he’ll be over here sometime!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

45. MikeMcLaren says:

Jeff Carter.  Philadelphia Flyers.

Out 3-4 weeks with broken bone in foot.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

46. JD_ says:

Like New Jersey and Detroit, M*A*S*H always found a way to stay competitive over the years despite having to continuously replace key players who had left. In a way, Alda was the Marty Brodeur, the anchor that held it together.

Charles Emerson Winchester III was a brilliant fill-in for Frank Burns (Larry Linville). Although he maintained the confrontational aspect of the relationship Pierce and Honeycutt had with Burns, the battles were more thoughtful and Charles would occasionally gain the upper hand. He was aloof and more of a schemer. Unlike Burns, however, he was in Korea against his will and often found himself siding with the other two.

Still among my personal Top 5 TV shows.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Our own version of Anton Volchenkov? Send him a ticket, I’ll take him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Lee_D says:

The 23-year-old Yemelin is still a legitimate prospect, at least in the sense that he possesses the capability to one day play in the NHL. Yemelin he re-signed with the KHL’s Kazan AK Bars this offseason, however, in lieu of venturing to North America and so can be expected to stay in Russia through the 2011 season. Yemelin is not a flashy offensive talent, with a goal and six assists on the year in 46 games. Rather, he is a reliable, gritty, stingy defender who willingly engages the opposition with tough physical play. Yemelin has expressed on record that he intends to one day play in the NHL, and he would fit in well.

49. LizardKing1967 says:

Eastern Conference playoffs:

Washington: Jose Theodore in goal? Yes, Ovy IS human!

Pittsburgh: Still not convinced about M-A Fleury.

Buffalo: No depth. Miller real strong, but team is 1-10 in last 11 road games.

Ottawa: Need a goalie. Inconsistant team.

Philly: Going SOUTH big time. Will not go anywhere with a bakup of a backup in nets.

Jersey: Brodeur might be one of the best, but he’s played waaayyyyy too many games this year again, and Olympics showed it.

Boston: cannot score. Inconsistant goaltending. Tim Thomas is like Raycroft and Carey. One hit wonders.

Atlanta: getting hot now that Kovalchuk is gone, but can it last?

Rangers: Going nowhere.

Any other comments to add????

Meanwhile, WE (take that Jack Todd) are finally playing as the TEAM that Gainey and Gauthier built over the summer, AND our sniper(s) are coming back any day from injury, AND our goaltending is as good as anyone’s right now, if not better.

SO TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!!!!

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

50. Ayan_SB says:

Fk yo couch!

51. ZepFan2 says:

lmao

“That’s game, bitches.”

“This cat can ball!”

I miss Charlie Murphy.

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

52. Ayan_SB says:

Game. Blouses.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m not going to crap on anyone who dodged the draft personally, it was a BS war and not wanting to go off to die or kill people you’ve never met in a bush war over communism V capitalism is not something I have an issue with.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. joeybarrie says:

Well that because Jack Todd is an IDIOT. Who doesn’t understand the term WE when we use it with the Canadiens…  LES HABITANTS????  LES CANADIENS???  Who are they named after?  Why do we have a brand new practice facility which is shared with the public? Why are there sites like this where info is given as it happens?

Jack Todd is from Nebraska. He settled in Vancouver when he was dodging the draft, and has worked for many news outlets including the Gazette since 1986. He is not (from his writting) part of the Canadiens. He may be a fan, but we have fans all over the world.

I have a guy on my soccer team who says the same thing. I didn’t see you play last night, I didn’t notice your name on the roster. So why do you say WE…. I simply reply, Don’t worry. I wouldn’t expect you to understand. Just like Jack Todd. He doesn’t understand. Go to the Bell Center. Ask Patrick Roy. Ask Zdeno Chara. Ask Guillaume Latendresse. Ask Carey Price. Then come back to me and tell me The People are not a part of this hockey team. Then come back and tell me The People HAVE NO EFFECT ON THIS TEAM…

You would think a guy who writes so well and has covered this team for so many year would understand. But he doesnt. But then again I wouldnt expect him to. He isnt one of us.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. B says: