Fifth place!

And your Montreal Canadiens didn’t even have to play a game to reach that lofty position.

Washington’s loss to Phoenix dropped the struggling Caps to sixth.

AUDIO from Monday’s practice: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Max Pacioretty | Mathieu Darche | P.K. Subban

Cammalleri may be back in Calgary

Pat Hickey on fighting

Toronto Sports Network on P.K.

Reactions to Mario Lemieux’s statement

Roy MacGregor on Lemieux

Leafs deal Versteeg, look to July 1

Damien Cox on Versteeg deal

1. Mattyleg says:

He wasn’t let go. He left. He’d had enough of the type of negativity in certain areas of the media in Montreal, and the kind of Playstation GMing that we get on sites like this.

People are still trying to villify him for having built a team that missed the playoffs once in the past six years, from a team that missed it more than they were in it. Not to mention finishing first in the East, and going to the Conference finals.

People like to complain. Makes them feel like they’ve said something insightful.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. habitual says:

Yup, Bob G and Gauthier do deserve credit. There are a lot of rookies on this team and we are still in the thick of the playoffs.

3. SensFanSpezza says:

Wasn’t he on waivers last week?  I guess there’s no point in the Leaves getting something for free when they can pay a good pick for it.

4. geo_habsgo says:

Yeah I thought about that as well. I guess thats the good thing about it is that we have been forced to give extended looks at the kids in hamilton. I’m liking the future of this team I just thought that with the right amount of luck and performance we could have been huge this season. Who knows maybe the team will surprise me come playoff time. :p

5. habs03 says:

No Miller tonight, Enroth is in nets tonight.

6. Julie H says:

Get this “Brian Burke, president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, said he agreed with Lemieux in that the violence last Friday’s game was unacceptable.” Since when does he NOT support violence?

7. Chester says:

I got two words for Mario …. Matt Cooke.

I have to rinse my mouth now.

8. Mark C says:

Philly will be in a right tight spot next year cap wise. $57.5M committed to 17 players (1 goalie, 6 D, 10 F) Leino is the only big name UFA this year. After next year the team has $44M tied up on 11 players, Van Riemsdyk, Versteeg, Carle and Coburn will all need contracts. Going for it now is the right move, Philly has to be operating on a 2 year window, this year and next, after that all bets are off.

9. Off-side says:

Can we talk about Subban for a change?  I mean, c’mon, the poor guy never gets center stage!

No, really folks.  Here’s my thing with Subban and all the negative criticism shovelled his way.  If the media (even this media right here) would please stop giving a soap box to any team, player or coach anytime Subban even breaths, all the talk would die.  You may not be the instigator, Mr. Media, but you do a hell of a job of transforming a camp fire to a forest fire.

Can we please let this young man play his sport before these attacks break him?  He is a mere 21 year old.

For God’s sake, leave him alone.

10. avatar_58 says:

You and I both know Mr Subban is a bit of a showman. Do you really think he isn’t enjoying the attention?

No that there was much chance of it ever happening, but I think we can put to rest any rumours of a possible Jarome Iginla trade.

Calgary beat Colorado 9-1 last night to move into 8th place in the ultra competitive Western Conference playoff race.  Iginla scored twice to run his season totals to 25/31/56/6/4 which is good for 9th place in the NHL scoring race.  Alex Tanguay also returned to the line-up and tallied a marker.

12. habstrinifan says:

Be 21 again. Be in a ‘spotlight’ position for social and hockey reason. Be unsure if your next faux pas puts you in the coach’s doghouse or gets you some disdainful look from your teammates… and tell me if you would enjoy it.
    I usually agree with your take on things but I believe that you are totally overlooking the human fragility of PK in all this. And forget the assumption by many that P.K is tough mentally etc and can handle alll this… look at how long it took him to regain confidence after his sudden benching where he wasnt even counsulled (not consoled) by his coach.

Mark – I think that Philly is taking a page out of CHicago’s book from last year.  You get as close as possible to a legit Cup run and then indirectly go way over the cap (in terms of the following year) to enhance your chances.

If you win (like Chicago did), it’s well worth it even though you have to sell off assets two months later.  If you stumble you still have a decent core to try it again in a few years (like Chicago probably will).

Given the choice between being good for ten years with no Cup or being average overall but with a Cup……

I’ll take the Cup, no question..

14. sholi2000.com says:

OK so after the Bruins loss, I was a tad upset with the boys.

Looking at the standings today makes me happy.

We are missing a ton of talent, and in 5th place. (moving on up)

Noice!

They Call Me Shane

15. Off-side says:

Amen.  He’s only human and a 21 year old human.

16. adamkennelly says:

Mr. Hickey – the real reason there is no fighting in the playoffs is because all the stupidity which normally leads up to it goes away- hooking, roughing, slashing, boarding, unsportsmanlike conduct- because players cannot afford to take the minor penalties associated with those infractions.  That and the fact most teams don’t dress their “fighters” unless of course you are fighter who can play – which is exactly the type of player the Habs need two of.  If we happen to get a blow out playoff game – say 4 or 5 goal lead in the third – watch out for some fights as the losing team tries to stir things up.

17. Off-side says:

There’s negative attention and positive attention.  When you are booed at sporting arenas (other than your own) and veterans call on you for what you say and do and put a mark on your forehead, that is not pleasant attention.  This is the negative stuff I don’t like to see the media by into.

18. Mark C says:

Absolutely, what you describe might be the new model for some teams now; get as close as you can and then add as much as you can and worry about it later. Philly has been building toward this for some time now, the Pronger trade and signing, now this trade. Philly easily has one of the weakest farm systems in the league, and it will likely only get worse. It is all about winning this year or next, then hoping to make a few smart moves and get back into the race again in a few years.

I hope Montreal is like this in 2 or 3 years.

19. geo_habsgo says:

I’m completely frustrated with how unlucky the Habs seem to be. Judging by our teams strong play this year and our placement in the top 10 in the league despite all of our key injuries , it has me lamenting over the post-season that we could have had. We had the potential to go all the way this year if we were able to keep this team intact but it just wasn’t in the cards. This team is still quite capable and we have shown ourselves to be giant killers on more than one occasion but with the lack of depth we have due to all the injuries its hard to consider this season anything but a lost cause.

I know that sounds bleak but we have been slowly watching a strong team get built over the last few years and I know that at least for me, making the playoffs isn’t good enough anymore. We are better than that now.

20. joshua94k says:

To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high…

The Canadiens are 5th in their conference and a point behind the Bruins for the division title. Most people would have written the season off in January with injuries to Markov, Gorges, Cammalleri and a disappointing December record. Now add Hall Gill to the list and the team is in more trouble.

However this team has been resilient. The management of Gainey and Gauthier deserve a lot of credit. They have built a strong farm team through drafts, trades and player development. By signing Picard and Halpern and trading for Wisniewski, they have added depth to the team. When the team was struggling, their farm team provided Pacioretty, Desharnais, White, and Webber which has helped this team tremendously.

There are others like Boyd, Engqvist, Palushaj, Henry etc waiting for their chance. Some teams have to trade away their future to salvage a season or rebuild. Gainey and Gauthier have built a strong support structure that has enabled the team to withstand losing their top two defencemen for the season and their best scorer for about a month. Credit the coaching staff also for getting the players to play within their system.

21. jennifer1984 says:

what up double post

22. jennifer1984 says:

tonight i expect a win.
    i’m sitting here patiently awaiting the arrival of my new niece or nephew and since they live in Toronto, their father is a Leafs fan….and I need this baby to learn properly, from the day it’s born.

this is nerve wracking!!! COME ON BABY!!!

and let’s get a win!!!!

It wasn’t the loss to the Bruins it was that the Habs were on the receiving end of dirty play and intimidation tactics and they fell for it.

The game against Toronto showed that they can win against a team that plays that type of game by playing smart.

That is why I feel better.

24. Chris says:

If Montreal is going to be like this in 2 or 3 years, they will have to become a lot more focused on that goal.  We had a glorious chance to generate some assets for the future two seasons ago, with 11 UFA’s, but made very few moves at the deadline in a misguided attempt to make the playoffs.

This summer, we’ve got a number of UFA’s (Hamrlik, Gill, Markov, Wisniewski, Halpern and Darche), RFA’s (Kostitsyn, Gorges, Pouliot, Pacioretty, White, Desharnais, Pyatt, Weber and Picard, most of whom will be looking for raises) and a couple of veterans that could be attractive to a Stanley Cup contender (Moen, Spacek).

So much of the focus here in Montreal is always on who we can add, but I’m more interested on who the Habs can exchange for some draft picks or prospects in an attempt to build for that run in 2 or 3 years.  My vote is Travis Moen, who I feel is one of the most invisible players on the roster but whose name could generate some interest from a team like Boston or Vancouver or Detroit as they look to gear up for a Stanley Cup run.  I doubt you could get a 1st round pick for him, but a 2nd round pick might not be out of the question depending on the market.

Philadelphia has been masterful at using their draft picks and veterans to secure new assets.  I think Montreal’s management needs to be a little more aggressive in the same way.  A late first round pick this season is a crap-shoot due to the weakness of the draft beyond the top-10.  If you could pry another team’s RFA headache off of them with that pick, it might be worth the gamble.

25. Max_a_million says:

Now that Colorado’s goose is cooked, can we trade for Ryan O’Byrne back?  Just undo the previous trade.

We could use a young physical presence on our bleu line!

“I need player who hate to lose” D. Irvin

I noticed you mentioned a while back that the West was in a tight race but this is ridiculous. 3rd place (69 pts.) to 10th (65 pts.) has 8 teams separated by 4 points

27. 123456 says:

congrats and you need to give them a little baby haby habs outfit. . . .

i got my son a habs pacifier, bib, sippie cup, etc. . . . .   but he’s a sabres fan . . .  so you gotta try harder than i.

28. Max_a_million says:

I understand, but I don’t think you can look at it that way.

As it turned out our young kids are getting a baptism by fire and coming up Aces.  This is good for the development of the team.

29. forskis says:

Considering that many on here were claiming that the Habs were done after the Boston game and claiming that they were a defeated bunch…it is kinda odd to hear that many are happy and impressed that the team is upbeat and confident.

In the end, it really was just ONE game…amazing what a shutout win over the Leafs can do to morale.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

30. avatar_58 says:

Unless you are Komisarek

31. Max_a_million says:

I think the players quite enjoy being booed in opposing arenas.  That one is a positive I would say.  They wouldn’t be booing you if you sucked.

32. SmartDog says:

Great audio today folks.  Give it a listen.   A really upbeat bunch of guys right now – they sound solid.

Especially good interview – MaxPac.  Man, I love this kid.  The Gomez interview is a good one too.  Seriously!

33. fbkj says:

Pants Buzzed

Leafs aquire aaron voros from anaheim for a conditional pic

34. punkster says:

My God man, with the deadline approaching you’re gonna have to stay home. All this pants buzzing has to be embarrassing in public.

***Subbang!!!***

35. fbkj says:

not sure… looks like a 7th and hes goin to the marlies…

I was very upset after the Bruins game but I think that you are missing the point.

It wasn’t the loss. It was the type of game that it descended to that moved me and others here to anger and concern.

Courage isn’t not having fear it is over-coming it.

It wasn’t the shut-out either. It was that the Habs played a disciplined game against the Leafs and used their speed and skill to render the Leafs’ truculence and testosterone-laden style of play impotent.

That Bruins game exposed a weakness in the Habs game. At first glance it looks like the Habs need more size and grit. I can’t disagree with that. After the Leafs game it appears that the Habs can also win if they don’t let themselves get suckered into playing outside their style and into the hands of teams who employ intimidation tactics. It doesn’t hurt to score and have PP that can do damage either.

37. Rudy says:

Those pants are going to be active for the next 10 days, enjoy it :)

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

38. fbkj says:

pfffff you speak like im not shameless, public pant buzzin ftw!

39. fbkj says:

damn straight, its gonna be a partay!

40. Mark C says:

What you describe as always been a point of contention with me, it has been disappointing to see Montreal lose players for no return. I give management a bit of a pass on this, after all how many playoff teams sell off assets at the deadline? That said, I doubt management changes course this trade deadline, I only hope assets aren’t wasted on the most marginal upgrades, e.g. Philips, Neil, Penner etc. Any trade made should have some long-term value to the team. I would be all for players like Moen or Spacek traded for a future asset.

41. Max_a_million says:

touché

Although for Big Mike his paycheck, and being booed in Montreal are the only memories he has of the time when he was a good player.  Probably nostalgic, and heartfelt for him.

42. habitual says:

And, HH, Detroit exposed a weakness in the Bruins’ game, beating them back to back with skating and great puck movement.

The Habs have 3 – 1 series lead on the (supposedly) Big, Bad Bruins.  Not so bad, wouldn’t you say?

43. habinypsi says:

My heat went out last night, and its 47F in my apartment,  I think PK might be at fault here.

44. TheDagger says:

TSN is going show what some of the Habs are like in their everyday lives starting in March! Could be good..

45. krob1000 says:

24 …in response to your post below…I agree the Flyers are a focre…the force to be reckoned with in the East…on paper they have everything but a legit goalie and I would bet money they acquire a vet there too by the deadline.  However, I would not write Pittsburgh off yet, despite losing Malkin, they played all the time with Malkin without staal, the get Crosby back, make a deal for a winger or two who can capitalize or at least let Cros bank pucks of fhem and they are legit.  The BRuins are very complete too, and as tough as Philly….if those two meet whoever plays teh winner will likely be playing a very battered team ( i Guess the number 2 seed needs to make it though for that to happen).  Tampa is decent too and any team t=with St Louis and Stamkos as their front end players and calls Vinny, Gagne, Malone and Downie their second tire is looking good….their concerns will be on D, is HEdman ready for primetime and the playoffs?

Montreal is a defensive team, a workhorse team, a trapping team taht frustrates teams to no end….we can however be bullied a bit as evidenced by our three years running being eliminated by PHilly/Boston/Philly….but in a 7 game stretch anything is possible.  Are we a top tier team wiht no Markov/Gorges? nope…but I would nopt write us off either.  And I think there are plenty of teams in the East that could knock Philly off too….sometimes there are too many chiefs…..Philly fits that bill IMO.  Pronger goes down and so does phily, or if you get udner PRiogners skin he reaacts…as is the case with HArtnell and many of those guys….if a team has the balls and lack of brains to agitate them very bad things could happen…but it could led to a ton of pp time.

I think we have a decnt team this eyar and anything is possible….I don;t know about going all in on a rental or anything but if we acquire a higher end player who still has time on his contract and would be around for next eyar too…tahn I am all for it.  We are at the beginning of what I see as a great three year run….this would have been a better year had Markov and Gorges not gone down long term…but…next year will be a big year so if we were to get an Iginla type I would not deem it a poor decision. I think we have plenty in the dept of youth and I think it is always worht taking a run at things…but obviously that means not ridiculously overpaying for an aging guy like Iginla(I am using this an example knowing he is pretty well untouchable right now).  I fully expect  however for us to add at tough winger and a stay at home dman or both for the deadline.  I can easily digest non first round picks for rentals and we ahve plenty of prospects too.  IF a real hcoeky trade presents itself that sacrfices the long term future for a player who will help us for the next 2 playoffs or more…I would be all over it. It would also give us options heading intot he summer as their are definitely some uncertainties with Markov and Gorges…so an asset now may seem like it is hurting the future but may actually be filpped later or make someone else expendable to address other needs later on.

I always drag things out but I guess I am saying I wouldn’t write off a deal yet…I expect us to act…probably depth moves ..but in Eklund style I am going to say that there is a good possibility that a larger deal comes along and we jump at it.  It hink the Fisher and Versteeg deal are pretty intriguing……Late foirst round picks and 3rd rounders for guys with plenty of contract and use ahead…..I think the one thing the Kovalchuk and Hossa deals  did is lower the values in futures trades and deadline deals.  I wuold have though Versteega t thsi point in  his career would be worth a higher first round pick and a prospect further along, Fisher I thought would have warranted slightly more as he is signed at a reasonable rate. I think Regehr is now off the table but Phillips would not cost much now..certainly not Pacioretty…heck I think ultimately he’ll go for a late 2nd or 3rd, Neil….proably a middle tier prospect or mid round pick as he is signed at 2 million which is about right but with that much term temas trading for him as he gets older likely have the leverage as Neil is not a guy who possesses a skill set that will age well.

So much hignes on the teams intentions with markov/Gorges/Gill and Hammer…..and that is the frustrating thing…wondering what in the world management thinks of our backend for the remainder of this eyar …but more importantly what they envision going forward…do they know something we don’t about Emelin? who knows….the deadline will be interesting but I would be shocked if we don’t make a couple of moves.

I totally agree.

Smaller Habs teams have beaten bigger, badder Bruins in the past.

Plus ca change….

47. arcosenate says:

Blame Subban, Blame Subban!

That’s what TSN chooses to do

And that Jerk Don Cherry too

Blame Subban, Blame Subban!

48. dhenry1234 says:

Habs call up Brendon Nash

Tuesday, 15.02.2011 / 10:28 AM / moves
    Montreal Canadiens

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL –The Montreal Canadiens announced Tuesday that defenseman Brendon Nash has been called up from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. Nash will join the Canadiens in Montreal, for tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres, at the Bell Centre.

The 23 year old, 6’03’’, 210 lbs defenseman has recorded 23 points (3 goals, 20 assists) in 50 games with the Bulldogs this season. His three goals have all been scored on the power play. He registered 53 shots on goal and served 41 penalty minutes. Nash is tied for second on the Bulldogs with a +12 differential.

In his last season at Cornell University in 2009-10, Nash led all team defensemen in scoring with 19 points in 33 games (2 goals, 17 assists) and served 48 penalty minutes. He recorded a total of 67 points (8 goals, 59 assists) and 173 penalty minutes in four full seasons with Cornell. From 2004 to 2006, Nash registered 60 points (9 goals, 51 assists) in 112 regular season games with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL (British Columbia Hockey League).

A native of Kamloops, BC, Nash signed with the Canadiens as a free agent on March 30, 2010. He participated in the Canadiens’ development camp, as well as the rookie camp and the team official training camp in 2010, from which he was released on September 27, after posting a 1-1-2 record in two games.

49. Hockey Socks says:

Habs recall D Brendon Nash from Hamilton.

50. Rudy says:

I wonder if they will put it online so we can see it here in the States

51. observer says:

Why is the Sabres/Habs game tonight the only one with no betting line?

52. Rudy says:

Should we be worried about Gill?

53. fbkj says:

Pants Buz…

bah nvmnd its been said

54. Habfan29 says:

Brendan Nash recalled from Hamilton, big body with a mean streak…..

55. observer says:

Burke went out and acquired the same type of players that the hypocrite Lemieux did with his.

56. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Because everbody knows the Habs are gonna win.

57. Admiral_Adama says:

Which means nothing, really.  Backup goalies have had the Habs numbers for years, now.  No matter if it’s fifth stringers or flat out rookies.  They gotta stay frosty and follow the game plan.

58. Mark C says:

Yes, at least for the short-term. Sounds like he won’t be ready during the road trip.

59. observer says:

Seriously. Are there some big names that were not known before on either team not to play?

60. Habfan29 says:

Yes this guy is going to be great. He has the size and the skill, could be the next Robinson….

61. merlin_24cups says:

Who’s left in Hamilton??

62. observer says:

220 pounds. this is the next/first meeting of these teams since sabres pounded the habs all game long causing all those injuries a couple of weeks back.

63. Admiral_Adama says:

No point for MTL fans to boo him anymore.  He’s actually a good presence on the ice when playing the Habs.  the fans should cheer, albeit mockingly.

64. Mattyleg says:

Don’t understand Farenheit.

Nor why the US continues to be the only country left in the world using it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

65. Julie H says:

Gotta love the Gazette for things like this: http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/index.html

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

66. redgorf says:

when i look back at all the injuries the hab have had, and all the back up tyey have in hamilton, i say, I wonder why MR GAINEY was let go. Every move  he’s made seem to be paying off,even some who have gone.

67. Mattyleg says:

I can’t believe it!!

Brian Burke is going to try to make a BIG SPLASH DEAL in the summer??

That’s incredible.

Well, I have to say that it’ll go along nicely with all the other BIG SPLASH DEALs he’s done in the past. Lookit them!

– Jason Blake!!

– Phil Kessel!!

-Mike Komisarek!!

– Dion Phaneuf!!

When your BIG SPLASH DEALs go this well, there’s no reason to stop doing them!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. fbkj says:

not so fast, bermuda uses it as well

69. ZepFan2 says:

Come trade deadline, you’ll have no juice left. 😉

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

70. Displaced says:

Outstanding analysis and post.  We lost virtually the entire team prior to the latest rebuild.  Koivu, Kovalev, Komi, each could have fetched a valuable prospect or high pick.  Some of the lesser players could have been useful.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

71. Oddball says:

Let me get this straight, Lupul wanted a time-out so he could adjust his bunched panties before PK kicked the snot out of him. It must be hard to fight with a maple leaf embossed thong riding up the crack, no wonder he lost. Maybe Burke should look into changing the rules at the next GM meeting.

Crosby, Richards and Ovie, all think that PK doesn’t show them enough respect.

Sounds like PK’s doing his job to me. Keep up the good work.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

72. fbkj says:

can we get some sensitivity training here???

73. ZepFan2 says:

I think there’s an app for that, no?

Fifth place?

Uh, no.

Playoffs?

Probably.

But not for sure.

A brutal night at the Bell.

And 1-4-1 against mighty Ottawa this season.

1. punkster says:

This season I’m 2-0-1 when attending games. Not up to Harani’s mark but I’ll do my part.

2. wd40 says:

lol.. good one.  man, I don’t even bother reading that cantankerous sob anymore because of stupidity like that.

3. andrewberkshire says:

Congrats Dave!!! You better get us a win!

4. punkster says:

WOOHOO…a man with valuable and useful info has finally surfaced on HI/O. I’m all over that David.

(Hey, If I mention your name and the word “tank” do I get a discount? Or will that only assure me of a security escort out of the building?) 😉

5. coachdoug says:

Right on…the fans make the team…Ask the Yotes, Thrashers, and Islanders…they would love to have fans as passionate…The Bell Center is one of the most electric places you’ll ever be when the Habs score a goal…What city can you go to where everyone is a fan…

Todd’s position is for the elite I guess…Hope we win tonight!!!

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

Dave!! On the 1st floor they sell Heinekens and other real beers for less, yes less than that headache inducing swill that goes by the name of Molson’s.

7. punkster says:

Chuck, I’ll only give the secret HI/O hand sign on camera. You know he one 😉

8. Chuck says:

Hahahaha!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

9. Chuck says:

Sweet! Enjoy the game, Dave. And please don’t be one of those idiots that waves to their friends watching at home when the camera is on you.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

10. coachdoug says:

Good deal…have a few wings at La Cage for those of us at home watching on TV!

Let’s hope there is no boo birds tonight…good vibes…big four pointer!

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

11. Robert L says:

He’d be Trapper trapped in Radar’s body!

12. jbroderi says:

Good point, I tend not to cruise around work going we, we,we.  I just say it on forms, or when I am talking to other habs fans, like “we need this one tonight”  or something.  But yeah, I can see how it would drive people nuts!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Congratulations! I got reds behind the visitor’s bench for the Oct. 31st Habs-Leafs game, it’s an incredible experience being that close to the action.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. punkster says:

Wow. My buddy just scored 2 reds behind the bench for tonight. I’m pumped!

Two things I will do tonight:

– Savour each moment

– Cheer loudly for all our Habs

Two things I will not do tonight:

– Drink any of the swill they pass off as beer in that place

– Boo any member of the Habs organization

15. Mr.Hazard says:

Nah man, when I say “we”, I mean “our” team. As in, Montreal’s team. Besides, haven’t you see the huge ad on the Bell? Nous sommes VOS Canadiens. They’re ours. I don’t think it’s at all comparable to saying “we” when referring to fictitious characters on the LOTR.

Oh yes, and I’m employed by the team lol. So I guess I have a more legit reason than most.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

16. nick says:

I disagree… It annoys the hell out of me too.

Sure theres the emotional attachment… But having someone watch the game on TV, come into work and saying “wow, we played poorly last night!”, really isn’t any different than someone watching a movie and saying “yesterday we travelled with Gandalf to middle earth”.

17. sidhu says:

Maybe Boone can help clarify Todd’s status — it’s clear people hate him (I’ve seen far more negative comments about him than positive), but yet Todd is still around.  Is he under a long-term contract or something?  Or is it one of those ‘people hate him and therefore read to disagree with him’ type situations?

18. Max_a_million says:

Thankfully I had nothing to do with him winning any awards.

Yes of course there are many ways to serve your country other than enlisting … running away isn’t one of them though.

There absolutely no need for his persistent and incessant personal attacks on people.  Whatever you think of Patrice Brisebois I believe strongly all he ever did for the Canadiens was his best, as I imagine is the case for everyone he is always attacking.  The personalness of his attacks is just completely uncalled for.  If you think management should bring in another player express that, but that is an entirely different thing than what he was doing.

I have paid my hard earned money to this team for my whole life, I have given them my time, my interest, my adoration, my emotions …  I have definitely earned the right to say “we”.  For goodness sake I pay their salaries as do we all.

Why can’t Jack Todd take the time to find something redeeming and worthwhile to praise for a change.

If I say “we” I mean us fans. When referring to the Habs I as rule use “the Habs” and refrain from using “we”. When “we” win the Cup though, I’ll be all “we” this and “we” that. 😉

20. Harani says:

True. just think it’s weird that a team with such a record would even afford to party the night BEFORE a big four-pointer.

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

21. sidhu says:

Who would Boone be if he was in MASH — Klinger?  Rizzo?  Sidney Freedman?  Or, dare I say, Father Mulcahey??

22. JF says:

Yes, Brodeur has played too many games, but he got a long break at the Olympics, since he only played two games there.  He’s looked very good since.

Miller is great, but he might be getting tired after playing most of Buffalo’s games this season as well as all the U.S. games at the Olympics.  If he’s not hot the Sabres are beatable.

Atlanta is playing well, but their defense is still vulnerable.

I think Boston will make it.  Rask is very good, and they play a grinding, close-checking game which wears opponents down.

I think Ottawa will turn things around (I just hope not tonight).  They had a great month before the Olympics.  But I don’t think they’ll go far in the playoffs; goaltending will be their Achilles heel as usual.

23. jbroderi says:

just a note, my bum is not really this cute in real life!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

24. jbroderi says:

Right, I don’t say we because I think that I deserve credit when they win, I just say we because of the emotional attachment I have to the team.   I have watched them for close to 25 years so Jack Todd can kiss everyone of my bum hairs, cause I’m going to keep saying we!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

25. jbroderi says:

mAYBE HE SHOULD MOVE TO ATLANTA AND COVER THE THRASHERS THEN!!  what a dumb putz!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

26. likehoy says:

well you don’t have to be winning to have a good time :P. but it’s weird to party before your game…usually they party after the game

– Team Halak V.S. Team Price…Montreal Canadiens Fans are similar to 14 year-old Girls going through Puberty.

27. likehoy says:

a lot of people don’t like it when fans refer to their team as “we” cause they have nothing to do with the team’s success…but I find that’s bullcrap cause we put a lot of influence into our team’s success with our media hype, our razzing of players, and our overall support!

28. GrimJim says:

I’m sure you could find someone from Edmonton to do it …

29. joeybarrie says:

Trying to change the political subject back to nonsense…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. joeybarrie says:

I, of course, meant simply that he can write a sentence well.

I do not think that you should be FORCED to go and fight. I do not think it cowardly at all. There are other ways of repaying your society. By the way he won an award for his book based on his experience dodging the draft, named after one of Canada’s best writers.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

31. notbigbird says:

Got me laughing as he didn’t capitalize bush. It’s an easy jump to make though.

32. cautiousoptimist says:

JD wrote:

“Speaking of medical dramas, Jack Todd informed us this morning he that
    doesn’t like it when people employ the term “we” when discussing the
    Habs. Apparently, it really, really grates on him.”

My list of things that really grate on me:

1. Jack Todd

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  33. joeybarrie says:

I certainly didnt want to say anything about dodging the Draft. I would have been at the border faster than him. Actually one of the few things i respect about him is his dodging a war he doesnt believe in…

If I came off knocking him for being a draft dodger I want to make it clear I look at that as a compliment.

I dont know if the war was due to Bush, since he didn’t take office until 20 years later. Im pretty sure Nixon was in the Oval Office when Todd jumped ship. Bush was a member of the house of representatives at the time…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. Harani says:

By the looks of the way they partied last night at Buona, the Sens do NOT look a team that has lost 8 out of 9. They apparently had a team dinner there but Pascal Lecalire was absent. Here are some pics for you curious ones. Habs have got to get the Sens tonight.

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

35. Willy the bum says:

By now, the Habs should understand every opponent’s weaknesses, and that’s key to their advantages in taking down the teams in coming games…

36. Max_a_million says:

Jack Todd is a ZERO, pass it on.

37. Max_a_million says:

Jack Todd is a good writer?!?  What have you been smoking?  What a negative jerk he is with his lists of bad people he hates so much, never anything positive to say.  There is too much positive about OUR wonderful team for all of his horrible negativity.  Jack Todd is a terrible writer.  We are the greatest hockey team in history!

There is something wrong with dodging the draft regardless of the validity of the war.  It’s called cowardice and incredibly unpatriotic.  America gave Jack Todd a whole heck of a lot, and I guess he thinks he deserved it all for free.  Thank goodness there are a lot of brave boys and girls who don’t run, but stand up for their country even when it is tough.  Thank goodness for heros.  Jack Todd is a terrible writer, a coward, and definitely a ZERO!

38. jbroderi says:

i think you’ll see a better effort than saturday, (at least I hope)  we need shots at the net on the PP

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

39. Mr.Hazard says:

Yessireebob! Good story. Too bad our Selanne is gone :(

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

40. Harani says:

On a side note, it was really nice to see Teemu Selanne get #600 last night. Totally classy guy and deserves all the accolades. Also nice of the league to grant permission to the Ducks to pour out of the bench when it happened. Special moment. You can watch it here if you missed it!

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

41. krob1000 says:

Oh Lv Karma!

42. coachdoug says:

The Flyers have angered the Hockey Gods year after year and are getting their just reward…I will not be happy unless they fall out of the playoff picture…The only thing that might save them is a burnt offering of Prongers home furnishings…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

43. ooder says:

that’s karma for what those thugs did to Kharlamov all those years ago

muahahah

revenge is sweet

not to mention the players they have injured this year

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, the Flyers are heading for a rather inglorious exit from the playoffs or at this rate, could fall right out. Missing a 40-goal scorer and your #1 and #2 goalies, I’m surprised glass-man Briere hasn’t gone down yet.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. MikeMcLaren says:

Jeff Carter.  Philadelphia Flyers.

Out 3-4 weeks with broken bone in foot.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

46. JD_ says:

Like New Jersey and Detroit, M*A*S*H always found a way to stay competitive over the years despite having to continuously replace key players who had left. In a way, Alda was the Marty Brodeur, the anchor that held it together.

Charles Emerson Winchester III was a brilliant fill-in for Frank Burns (Larry Linville). Although he maintained the confrontational aspect of the relationship Pierce and Honeycutt had with Burns, the battles were more thoughtful and Charles would occasionally gain the upper hand. He was aloof and more of a schemer. Unlike Burns, however, he was in Korea against his will and often found himself siding with the other two.

Still among my personal Top 5 TV shows.

47. LizardKing1967 says:

Eastern Conference playoffs:

Washington: Jose Theodore in goal? Yes, Ovy IS human!

Pittsburgh: Still not convinced about M-A Fleury.

Buffalo: No depth. Miller real strong, but team is 1-10 in last 11 road games.

Ottawa: Need a goalie. Inconsistant team.

Philly: Going SOUTH big time. Will not go anywhere with a bakup of a backup in nets.

Jersey: Brodeur might be one of the best, but he’s played waaayyyyy too many games this year again, and Olympics showed it.

Boston: cannot score. Inconsistant goaltending. Tim Thomas is like Raycroft and Carey. One hit wonders.

Atlanta: getting hot now that Kovalchuk is gone, but can it last?

Rangers: Going nowhere.

Any other comments to add????

Meanwhile, WE (take that Jack Todd) are finally playing as the TEAM that Gainey and Gauthier built over the summer, AND our sniper(s) are coming back any day from injury, AND our goaltending is as good as anyone’s right now, if not better.

SO TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!!!!

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

48. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m not going to crap on anyone who dodged the draft personally, it was a BS war and not wanting to go off to die or kill people you’ve never met in a bush war over communism V capitalism is not something I have an issue with.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. joeybarrie says:

Well that because Jack Todd is an IDIOT. Who doesn’t understand the term WE when we use it with the Canadiens…  LES HABITANTS????  LES CANADIENS???  Who are they named after?  Why do we have a brand new practice facility which is shared with the public? Why are there sites like this where info is given as it happens?

Jack Todd is from Nebraska. He settled in Vancouver when he was dodging the draft, and has worked for many news outlets including the Gazette since 1986. He is not (from his writting) part of the Canadiens. He may be a fan, but we have fans all over the world.

I have a guy on my soccer team who says the same thing. I didn’t see you play last night, I didn’t notice your name on the roster. So why do you say WE…. I simply reply, Don’t worry. I wouldn’t expect you to understand. Just like Jack Todd. He doesn’t understand. Go to the Bell Center. Ask Patrick Roy. Ask Zdeno Chara. Ask Guillaume Latendresse. Ask Carey Price. Then come back to me and tell me The People are not a part of this hockey team. Then come back and tell me The People HAVE NO EFFECT ON THIS TEAM…

You would think a guy who writes so well and has covered this team for so many year would understand. But he doesnt. But then again I wouldnt expect him to. He isnt one of us.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. sidhu says:

Winchester is one of my favorite characters of any show.  He was brilliantly played — MASH had that amazing blend of wit and social commentary that’s rare nowadays.

To paraphrase Chaarles, Chris Neil and Ruttu are like petroleum, crude and unrefined.

51. light_n_tasty says:

Sorry Jack Todd, but we make the team.  No fans, no team.  We pay for the merchandise, the tickets, the subscription to RDS.  The Habs are ours.

52. hab lifer says:

hahahahahahahahahaha

53. G-Man says:

“kissing an early playoff exit goodbye” implies that the Habs will go further. Context,retro,context.

54. RetroMikey says:

Brodeur is a winner, come playoff time, there is something magical about the old guy.  I would not face him or Miller in Buffalo and Pittsburgh with Fleury in the nets.  3 goalies that their teams will be confident going into the playoffs and have alot of experience.

Is stills say Washington can be broken whether Varlamov or Theodroe in their nets if we face them.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

55. Kristopher7 says:

Time will tell!

56. RetroMikey says:

Yippeee!  Someone’s at least is  not going to cry on this site if we exit early in the playoffs!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

57. habber86 says:

Thanks guys. Looks like i’ll have to try and lock something in before making the trek to montreal and potentially getting disappointed with stubborn scalpers.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

I personally try to avoid the “We” myself because it feels a bit presumptious at times but to have it totally discredit what someone says about the team? I get caught up in the excitement of the games, the season and the trials and tribulations of the team and say it myself sometimes as do most of us. It’s a connection we feel, wearing the jersey, living and dying with our 82 season games and X number of playoff games, you can’t just seperate yourself from a team that you feel this passionately about.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. Kristopher7 says:

…… don’t even bother posting. It’s not even funny, even if you were trying to be.

And yes, I like the word “even”.

60. JD_ says:

Like the Leafs, the Sens can always be a handful for the Habs.

Kovy’s pride is also under a bit of pressure. He stuck around after the Sens practiced on the Bell Centre ice yesterday. Spent some time with Foligno performing stunts for a bunch of people in the stands. Reading Stubbs’ description of it this morning, I had images of Major Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) from the M*A*S*H “Dreams” episode, the one where he’s performing magic tricks to the gathered crowd’s delight at the same time his patient is dying a painful death on the gurney. Eventually, the patient dies and the crowd turns on him. Typically unsubtle, blunt-as-a-brick, Alan Alda-scripted symbolism.

“Gentlemennn…”

Point is Kovy not only knows he has no clothes, he knows Hab fans know, as well. One has to be hopeful he doesn’t try to overcompensate for it tonight.

On a more positive note, Leclaire’s play has been so lousy of late, he’s getting pulled more often than a one-armed bandit at the hands of a double-stooled, sweatpant-clad grandma at the Montreal Casino.

———-

Speaking of medical dramas, Jack Todd informed us this morning he that doesn’t like it when people employ the term “we” when discussing the Habs. Apparently, it really, really grates on him.

Now, I don’t want to go into why I think Todd’s so angry and irritable all the time, nor how this condition has been the norm since a certain thing happened to him a few years ago, I just want folks to know that he doesn’t want anyone using the royal “we” unless they are players in full employ of the Montreal Canadiens.

Presumably, Todd’s disdain also applies to sports columnists having photos of themselves clad in a Habs jersey and clutching a stick being printed on the front page of the Montreal Gazette.

Todd has spoken. The people will listen.

61. SoftSillyMusic says:

I tried to get tickets to the Habs Bruins game last Saturday. Didn’t go well, scalpers weren’t taking offers, $200 for tickets in the red, end of discussion. Even after the first period had started they weren’t dropping. My advice is to check the montreal and ottawa sections of Kijiji and Craig’s list, often times people will sell just above face value as opposed to a 300% mark up. Don’t send money though, bad idea.

62. hab lifer says:

without them, it’s a loss. habs unable to beat the Sens this year.

63. Alain T says:

CKAC just reported that CAMMY and MAB are not playing tonight.

64. darcy1 says:

do you have stats & dates to back up this theory ? :-) (JK)

65. Mr.Hazard says:

loll

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Doing my part to help the team bounce back tonight, wearing my 15-16 CA jersey that has a very good record this season for when I wear it after the team takes a loss.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. Kristopher7 says:

Brodeur’s getting old, and last year he got owned by Carolina. I wouldn’t mind if the Habs faced Washington or New Jersey. Pens, they’re a playoff team. Buffalo, Miller’s really good.

68. notbigbird says:

Great news. I really like the idea of kissing an early playoff exit goodbye.

69. Gary320 says:

My biggest advice, ask around. Don’t only go to one scalper.. go to a few.. eventually they get really despret.

Say your first scalper says 69$ each for 4 tickets.

Go to the next scalper, if he says 70 or 75$ for 4 tickets in about the same section, tell him the other guy wants to give you 69… if he gives you less than 69,… say.. I’ll come back!.. go ask another scalper if he’s willing to  lower becasue someone else gave you 4 tickets for less than 69 each..

Like I said.. just repeat until you get  aprice you like and that you know won’t get lower.. it may be time consuming, but these guys REALLY want money.. so they’ll low their prices easily.

Also, I’d take a look at the BOX OFFICE. Maybe they have MOlson tickets available.

70. RetroMikey says:

Teams are finally getting their mojo going like Atlanta and Boston clawing for an 8th place final spot or will we be content for an 8th place spot and face Washington in the first round and float for the next couple of weeks and play .500 hockey?

I would not want to face New Jersy, Buffalo or Pittsburgh in the first round and you can kiss an early playoff exit goodbye if we face these teams.

We have a better chance knocking off the Capitals in the first round IMO or even Philly.

Next round, anything is possible but the first round is the key to our fate in the playoffs, seedings are very important in the first round.

It will not be an easy game aginst Ottawa tonight, they will rebound from their losing skid and rebound.  Maybe not tonight against us but some other team as the season winds down.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

71. habber86 says:

So… got totally screwed over by someone who I thought had agreed to sell me 4 tickets to tonight’s game. Was planning to drive up from Ottawa for the game with friends. Now it’s time to scramble.

Anyone in Montreal have experience getting tickets game day in front of the Bell Centre? What would a reasonable price for 4 nosebleed seats be, and any advice or tips in general would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

72. JF says:

This game is likely to be determined by goaltending.  Neither Leclaire nor Elliot have been particularly good since the Olympic break, but both have played well against us earlier this season.  I think the Senators’ AHL goaltender, Mike Brodeur, who also stoned us, is injured.  The Sens were going through a scoring drought a few games ago, but they scored 4 in their last game.  If we play the way we were until Saturday, we should be able to beat them, but it won’t be easy.  All losing streaks come to an end, and theirs might be due to end tonight.  I would have liked to see us practice yesterday just to get our synchronization back.

73. arcosenate says:

I still think you have to be more positive about Saturday’s game, good teams manage to salvage a point when they obviously don’t have their mojo working on a particular night.  Habs struggled to get things going all game but still dug pretty deep to get that point.

Tonight will require shooting from every angle, with Ottawa’s goaltending as weak as it has been, lots of shots might work.