Liveblog: Boston 6 – Canadiens 3

PKBruins

Well, that was fugly.

And after battling back to an unlikely 3-3 tie, the home team conceded three unanswered goals in the third period.

The Canadiens went more than 12 minutes before registering their first shot of the game.

The Canadiend dressed four NHL defencemen – five if you count Jarred Tinordi – but the Bruins had a 40-30 shot advantage and kept the puck buzzing around Carey Price, who stopped 19 of 22 shots, and Robert Mayer, who was beaten three times on 18 shots.

The Canadiens outhit the Bruins 38-22, and Douglas Murray blocked six shots.

Jarome Iginla scored twice and had six SoG. No Canadien had more than two shots.

The Bruins scored on four of six power plays. The Canadiens were 2-for-7, including P.K. Subban’s laser during a 5-on-3.

The Canadiens will announce player cuts after the game.

•  •  •

Shout-out to an excellent broadcaster and a good man: Ted Bird.

My New Brunswick homeboy got the sack at TSN 690, where few of the surviving on-air “talent” are fit to shine the Birdman’s shoes.

Ted is too good to be out of action for long.

1. DickandDanny says:

So, my only thought is based on what caused the outcome in last nights game. Our porous PK. If this does not change we can expect a lot more of this type of outcome. The non-chase, non-force PK style must change. Collapsing in front does not work. We have proven that for the past two seasons. Sitting back and letting players blast from the blueline and near the top of the face-off circle, with all of the ricochets, deflections, and wierd bounces it’s only a matter of time before these go in. Price can’t stop what he can’t see, or those which are deflected. And they got four of them last night, two from the places I named. Pressuring the puckhandler is the only way to continually and successfully PK in the NHL today. Whoever is in charge of our special teams better make some adjustments to match the other teams who are already incorporating this type of PK in the NHL, because it works.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

2. adamkennelly says:

exhibition game, right?- full of AHL and JR. players, right? doesn’t count, right? doesn’t matter…wrong!

Habs looked awful – their only all NHL line is the dumbest idea I have ever seen – DD, Briere and Pax…lets see – two tiny french players with a pretty soft for his size yankee who prolly hates getting stuck with them…that should work..

bad – the entire team
    terrible – Doug Murray – oh my god – this guy would look slow in my men’s league…

• olematelot says:

It was the 2nd pre season game. This is the time to evaluate the players trying to crack the line up. In no way did the team on the ice last night resemble what will be there opening night. It’s a time to try different line combinations etc. Pre season games really do mean nothing in the grand scheme of things and I personally pay little attention to them.

• Blade says:

Hoo boy….have a beer dude and chill out. These games really do not matter, which I know you will not believe. But a nice relaxing beer will do wonders for you. Believe me!

3. SUMO says:

Thanks Habilis, after tonight’s cuts we still have;

FORWARDS
    M Pacioretty – D Desharnais – D Briere
    R Bourque – T Plekanec – B Gionta (IR)
    A Galchenyuk – L Eller – B Gallagher
    B Prust – R White – T Moen
    G Parros
    -Blunden (RW), Bournival (C), Collberg (RW), Dumont (C), Holland (RW), McCarron (RW), Quailer (IR), St Pierre (C), Tarnaski (LW), Thomas (RW)

DEFENSE
    J Gorges – PK Subban
    A Markov – A Emelin (IR)
    F Bouillon – R Diaz
    D Murray
    D Drewiske
    -Beaulieu (IR), Nygren, Pateryn, Tinordi

GOALIES
    C Price
    P Budaj
    -Tokarski

4. Wow, what are we even talking about? A lineup full of AHL/junior players loses a game, with the Bulldogs’ backup goalie in the net for half of it, and half of HI/O goes nuts?

There are 82 nights a year — plus playoffs — where the score matters. Tonight wasn’t one of them.

“Until we get an apology we’re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman.” -Sabre Dixon Ward

• Timo says:

You know C, last it, it turned out that Habs can’t simply turn on a switch “when it mattered”. For a change, Habs could humor us and win a meaningless game.

Looking at DD’s like it is hard to believe they will be any good when it matters – second half of the season and (if) playoffs.

Same goes for Moen, White and whoever else is going to play on that line.

Habs may have a good few up and coming young guys but they sure don’t have great veterans on this team, aside from PK.

For the record, i am not panicking… I just don’t have any faith.

Other teams should hope Habs keep Pacioretty-DD-Briere line in tact all season… the easiest line in all of NHL to play against.

And can anyone tell me what system Michael Therrien is trying to have his team play? Is there a system? It’s only second exhibition game and half the players looked gassed already. Bruins, their AHLers I mean, were first to the puck, won most of the battles and had all the shots and all the goals.

Man, I had a good chuckle watching Murray trying to skate… I swear Hal Gill looks like a speed skater next to that guy.

Overall, my conclusion is the one I usually arrive to – Habs sucked.

6. tab says:

Enjoyed watching the patch goal but pretty scrabble play. Boston d control puck and play much Bergeron their own end than habs thus why they are more dominant, Deitz looks like type of Dman but he needs work on positioning and better passing

7. Lil Snapper says:

So with these cuts, who does that leave us with for prospects? How many more cuts will there be?

• Habilis says:

There are 38 players left in camp, 5 of which are currently injured. That means at least 10 more players will be cut, more if NHLers like Gionta and Parros come off the injured list.

Non NHLers left: Bournival, Blunden, McCarron, Nygren, Dumont, Holland, Tarnasky, Thomas, Collberg, St-Pierre, Pateryn, Tinordi, Tokarski, Beaulieu (injured), Quailer (injured).

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well …ahem, looking at the score, …being squashed by da Beans …PLUS shutout by Malcolm ! …maybe ? I should appreciate small mercies ? :)

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

GROANNNN !!! :(

…WHY ??? didn’t anyOne tell My favourite reprobate Mike was doing a game blog tonight ???

…I missed the game AND the gameblog !!!

…jeeeeze !!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m binge-watching TV nowadays, did it for “The Wire” and “Breaking Bad”, doing it now for “Mad Men”, two or three episodes a night. Until I get cable again. Anyway, I think I developed the habit from binge-reading the LiveBlog, seeing if what the Headmaster sawed jibes with what I sawed, instead of doing it in real-time and having to put up with ads and such.

So go ahead, read the Live Blog after the game, it doesn’t get stale, just funny to see Mr. Boone walk back some of his pronouncements. Only very rarely, when it’s necessary.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m going to do it now, but Me thinks I should take a couple shots of Scotch first :)

…where did Your cable go ?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disconnect over the summer, and reconnect in the fall.

Will be going with TelusTV, better cheaper way to get the channels I want, NFL Network and RDS in HD, contrary to Shaw, and at a way cheaper cost.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…and to get even a better deal from Telus ask for their Customer Retention Department …tell them You are pulling stakes to Shaw, and see how fast they find another 25 % discount

…of course, You will have to wait a year or two :)

…I keep threatening, and keep receiving …yet, never serious because Shaw way more expensive than Telus

10. jols101 says:

Listening to Therrien’s post-game presser I guess he wasn’t as impressed with Tinordi’s play as many of us were.

11. JohnBellyful says:

This clip is only for those like me who have not seen a single episode of Breaking Bad but are looking for a primer to be brought up to speed … I mean, meth.
    (Apologies if it’s been posted before but not if you missed it.)

• Mattyleg says:

I just started watching it two days ago to see what all the hype was about.
      I’m 3 episodes in, and it’s very good.
      Gritty as The Wire, morbid as Dexter, but with a black sense of humour missing in both of them.
      Highly recommend it. So far.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habilis says:

Best. Show. Ever.

I won’t spoil anything for you, but if you like it now, just wait till you get to season 3 and beyond. It just gets better and better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m torn as to which is better, “The Wire” or “Breaking Bad”. If you liked the former you’re in for a treat.

But how bad has Dexter turned out in the last couple of seasons? They’re just going through the motions, introducing characters to kill them off, really poor. I’m watching the last few episodes, but more to see how this train wreck ends.

EDIT: Hold on, just caught something: “The Wire” was missing a sense of humour? You’re misremembering, or you misspoke. What about the exchanges between McNulty and Bunk? What about everything Landsman said or did, or just the way he looked, or what he ate? And I think I’m ready to re-watch this, I was going to binge watch it next summer, but I don’t think I can wait any more.

• Habilis says:

Having only recently completed my own second run through, I have to agree, The Wire did indeed have it’s funny moments. Lansman was hilarious as you said. McNulty’s drunk dials, Bunk having a “taste”, Poot getting “burnt”, Omar’s responses to pretty much everything. Even Prop Joe had some good lines.

Great show.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pretty funny, good work by Jimmy Fallon and his team, but I’ll stress to those who aren’t caught up yet that they shouldn’t watch this clip, a few spoilers in there.

Those of you who are waiting to watch “Breaking Bad” later, don’t. It’s the best thing on TV by far, and will be such a cultural phenomenon by the time it ends that you won’t be able to avoid hearing how it ends. Binge watch it now, catch up to the rest of us, and enjoy the roller coaster ride.

• SPATS says:

Agreed, currently binge watching and am up to disc 2 season 5, problem is, we will be done with the first half of 5 and where do I get the episodes that have been airing for a month or so now?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Habilis says:

Free and up to date. The site uses links to 3rd party sites where you can stream or download the show. Any show, actually. Movies too. Don’t ask me if it’s legal or not. :D

No spyware or anything like that, but there are pop-ups. It’s annoying, but you only have to deal with a couple at the start before you choose a link to stream or download from.

Personally, I only use the streaming links and I’ve never had an issue with viruses or anything of that ilk.

Putlocker and Sockshare links seem to be the most reliable.

Enjoy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If only you could find on the World Wide Web an enterprise so to speak, or a project to free TV from the shackles of commercialism.

There’s a hint in there somewhere for you.

12. SUMO says:

Z Fucale, C Hudon, M Reway, S Andrighetto, L Leblanc, S Fournier R Mayer, M Lashoff, D Thrower, M Ellis, J Nattinen, D Dietz, S MacAuley & E Nystrom have been cut.

Fucale (Halifax), Hudon (Chicoutimi) and Reway (Gatineau) are going back to junior.

To Hamilton;
    Joonas Nattinen (C/RW), Sven Andrighetto (RW), Stefan Fournier (RW), Stephan MacAulay (C), Louis Leblanc (C/RW), Erik Nystrom (LW)

Matt Lashoff (D), Morgan Ellis (D), Darren Dietz (D), Dalton Thrower (D)

• jols101 says:

Really surprised about LL. Thought he deserved another week or 2 to prove himself.

• Habilis says:

Ditto that. Keeping McCarron and Collberg and dropping Leblanc sends a pretty strong message too.

The message being: You’re not as good as the kids we’ve drafted in the past 2 years.

Not good for his future in any case, his ELC is up this year. Seems like he’ll have to light up Hamilton if he wants any shot at the big club.

• commandant says:

I didn’t think Leblanc was bad today, I think the organization is really sending him a message though to shape up and have a big year in Hamilton or thats it for you.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Mattyleg says:

I think he needs some more conditioning down there.
            He hasn’t played that much at 100% since his injury, no?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habilis says:

I don’t think he was bad either, in fact I thought he was one of the better forwards tonight.

But yeah, the brass are definitely dropping the hammer here. It’s now or never for him. If he doesn’t show something, they’ll let him walk in the summer.

It sucks watching a good kid go from being a solid prospect to a first round bust. He’s not there yet of course, but he’s on that track. I hope he turns it around.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess they want to have a longer look at both Michael McCarron and Sebastian Collberg. They can’t be ‘kept’ in the organization/sent to Hamilton, they have to stay with the Canadiens or be sent back to the London Knights and Frolunda, respectively.

So Louis Leblanc could take it as a slight, or as a practical reality, that he has a ways to go to prove himself, and that the two kids you mentioned are special cases that don’t apply to his. What he should worry about, and work hard to overcome, is the fact that Michaël Bournival and Gabriel Dumont are still at the main camp, these guys are the ones he’s really competing with. He showed some good things in the game tonight, he just needs to continue on that trajectory.

• Habilis says:

Yeah, very good point. I didn’t consider the Sweden/London angle. I just picked the two guys I’m most excited to see. ;)

Either way, it’s a clear message from management to LL: Get better or get gone.

• Sportfan says:

Thought LL would get a better look.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m semi-watching Monday Night Football, the Steeler defence is confirming my fantasy football team’s win, so I’m doing other stuff, but I’m surprised to hear that Dalton Thrower is playing for the Bengals? I guess he gaved up on hockey?

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

14. ProHabs says:

LOL. The hilight of the night for me was reading about how Ian Cobb stole Habs1992’s girl from him from right underneath his nose.

15. Bim says:

Its going to be a long season this year in Quebec. Get the fireplaces cleaned and snuggle down. Goaltending?…awful. I thought Price’s poor ending to last season was just a fluke. Now I’m not so sure. His concentration just seems off to me and lets in away to many soft goals. Not a good omen with the brigade they have lined up between the pipes. I’m concerned!! and goaltending was supposed to be no issue.

16. jols101 says:

Tinordi uses his reach really well and has a good stick making it possible to break up plays before the opponents even enter the zone.

He also plays very physical along the boards and is effective clearing the crease.

He makes hard, tape to tape first passes.

His biggest asset, and most surprisingly for a 6’6 beast, is his skating. It would be a bit of a stretch to call him silky smooth but for a man his size his skating is exceptional.

If management and Therrien decide to demote him to the AHL the 2013-14 edition of the Candiens will be weaker team.

17. durocher says:

I’ll tell you who looked good tonight: Dietz. For a young guy, he seemed comfortable with the puck, could skate, make a nice break-out pass. Tinordi also looks ready for the big show.

I’m not sold on having Briere and DD on the same line — they are both small, playmakers — I’d rather spread them out. For example, I’d rather put Gally11 back up with DD and MaxPac, and then have Briere with Eller and Gally27.

Not that he’s going anywhere, but I’ll register my disappointment with DD — he doesn’t seem to have any “fight” or “compete” in him. I’m tired of seeing him fall or make a lame attempt to draw a penalty by falling when he gets the smallest of contact. He needs to man up.

18. Stevie.Ray says:

Remember that one preseason Martin didn’t play veterans and we got off to a terrible start. And then Ron Wilson played only veterans and they started the season hot, but were burnt out by February. Hope MT finds the balance.

19. mksness says:

i thought price looked a bit off in the new spec equipment so i hope he gets more pre-season time to work out the kinks. so hard to judge anyone really though. i mean some players line up against rookies and some rookies match up against sold NHL experience.

I just hope now that the coaching staff concentrates on 95% of the team that will be here to start the season. this is the time to get your lines gelling so that we don’t have to wait for the first 10 games to give them a chance to get the hang of it.

and for those who say we have to support this team no matter what… i say maybe the team should listen to the fans spending the money on the tickets, merchandize and cable packages.

• JF says:

Agree that the coaching staff should focus on the team that will start the season. I can’t see any reason to keep more than two or three of the rookies around for the rest of training camp – Tinordi certainly, and maybe Bournival and Leblanc. Greg Pateryn also looked good, and I liked Dietz’s skating and composure. Aside from a couple of AHL veterans, the rest are long shots or are simply not ready.

As for Price, he usually starts the pre-season slowly. He’s also working with a new coach, which might call for a bit of an adjustment period.

20. jedimyrmidon says:

Here are some players that were in the Habs lineup:

– AHL sophomores or rookies: Jarred Tinordi, Darren Dietz, Christian Thomas, Gabriel Dumont, Stefan Fournier
    – AHL vets: Louis Leblanc (young ‘vet’), Nick Tarnasky, Michael Blunden
    – Too young for AHL: Charles Hudon

– NHL 4th liners (maaaybe 3rd liners): Travis Moen, Ryan White

– Offense line, sheltered presence: DD (!), Briere, Pacioretty

Would you look at that: those are the players (mostly) forwards that were supposed to drive the offense against the Bruins while playing defensively sound. No wonder the Habs didn’t look so good tonight.

21. commandant says:

Everybody Chill!

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

22. Stevie.Ray says:

Missed the game because I was coaching. Can someone give me the 4 most important things to know about what happened tonight, and one funny thing.

• Habilis says:

1. Price was so-so.
      2. Tinordi is an NHLer.
      3. Leblanc really wants to make the team, played pretty well.
      4. PK Subban is still awesome.

Funny thing, but not so funny: Douglas Murray is slower than a bag of hammers.

• Alvin says:

1. Habs got bullied again tonight.
      2.Habs do not have a player even close to the skill level of Jerome Iginla
      3.The Habs AHL goaler looks better than the Thoroughbred.
      4.Bruins looked in mid season form. Habs not so much.
      5. Fournier crapping his pants while putting up his dukes to fight McQuaid and then skating to the penalty box as fast as he could without throwing a punch.

This site needs a good dose of Yeast. I mean Yeats. OK. Both.

Did you guys actually watch that game? I mean really.

I am just here to abuse the trolls.

25. chilli says:

The pre-season games, while needed for the team, is also a money grab for the NHL.

They are useless games, but the players need games before the start of the season.

They mean nothing in terms of score.

HIO trolls are so annoying. I really need to find a better website where knowledgeable hockey fans can discuss teams and players and not shout out how shit our team is for the 2013/14 season….

Montreal has not been ‘Montreal’ for 20 years. The fans live in the past. They are one of a number of teams trying to fight for a playoff spot. Once in, anything can happen.

Support the team, management and coaches please. Be a fan.

Tre

26. Bill says:

I can’t believe people are taking these AHL exhibition games so seriously. Apparently the Habs are dooooomed. Definitely not worried. This team is gonna be good.

27. Sportfan says:

Real question now, who gets cut?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. frankcasting says:

Entertaining scrimmage, I can see why lots of teams passed on Douglas Murray, slooooooooow motion, thankfully we’re 10 deep on D

Loving the Habs since 1965

29. Alvin says:

This is sickening and frustrating. This preseason shaite is a waste of time. Get the full time squad out there from the get go and use these 7 games as the chemistry mixer. Find another way to get your hopefuls showcased.
    Bruins have beat the Habs tonight every which way you can imagine.
    I am a Blue Jays fan and I’m getting the same feeling coming on about being a Habs fan. The organization is blowing smoke up our wazoo with the so called ” prospects and depth and no available positions to be filled on the current roster. All this hype will not translate into on ice victories. It’s just a big bunch of BS.
    And like Blue Jays fans last Spring you’ll all say its only pre season games. They don’t matter. Well learn it the hard way then. Spring Training and Pre season DO matter. The games don’t count but they sure as heck matter.
    I don’t know if I can take seeing MT’s loser mug very much this year.
    I called the Habs as 13 -1 in the month of October. It may very well turn out to be the reverse!!

30. Sportfan says:

Any real non troll comments? Like decent players they liked disliked ?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• crabvader says:

McCarron! but that was yesterday :P

Also liked Bournival and Nystrom.

Tonight, I only got to read the comments. From what I read, sounds like we are worse than the 2011 Miami dolphins! Yay!

• Habilis says:

Tinordi impressed me once again, I’ve got him among our top 6 at this point. If he goes down to Hamilton and Murray starts the season, I’ll be disappointed.

I thought Dietz looked pretty good when he was out there. Hudon was ok, but I was hoping for some flash from him. Bruins did play fairly well though so his chances were limited.

That PP goal by Max was the prettiest of the game. Good to see that line getting in the mix.

Murray and Moen looked awful, IMO. Murray is just too slow and Moen is invisible unless pucks bounce off him or he’s taking bad penalties.

• Kooch7800 says:

I didn’t mind LeBlanc tonight

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

31. Mark C says:

Beginning to think Berkshire and Rice were on to something…

32. crabvader says:

Pretty sure Boston used 85% of it’s regulars tonight.

We had a couple. Not the best line combinations but that’s what the pre-season is for.

33. habs1992 says:

I cant believe I turned down a hot date with a Blonde hair, curvy woman and blue eyes for that. Oh well wont do that again for this team.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

34. JayK-47 says:

Haven’t been this optimistic about the team in 20 years but I’m going to skip HIO until next gameday so I don’t end up bleeding from my eyes and ears.

35. crabvader says:

Let the first 20 regular season games go by before losing your cool, guys.

General rule of thumb.

36. ClutchNGrab says:

Losing against the Bruins, even in an exhibition game, is always tough but at leat we’re not Florida Panthers’ fans…

37. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Awright, enough already with those cute baby-faced little rookies. Let the big boys play together and become a team, please.

38. Sportfan says:

Man its too bad that a preseason game defines the whole season.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

39. DipsyDoodler says:

“you don’t have to be physically repulsive to work here…. but it helps”

40. JUST ME says:

Quite a few here are real connaisseurs ! Tinordi was the only player from yesterday`s team and we should trade everyone ? Second pre-season game !
    You guys are so predictable. Luckyly we know what to expect from the usual posters on here…

41. PeterD says:

That was painful to watch.
    The Sunday game was way faster and more exciting than tonight’s display.

42. habs1992 says:

Just show’s us how far away we are to competing with the Eastern Conference Champion, it was a good wake up for all of us.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

43. The Dude says:

Lost to Boston again,crap!

44. Danno says:

A semi, demi-shutout for Subban

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

That pic of Thsubban is thsooooooooo Gay.

46. habs001 says:

Pk playing more on the pk will help but not sure who will be the top 4 pk forwards….They seem to lack forwards that can be effective on the pk..

47. jols101 says:

Snooze fest. Last night’s game was fun too watch, this one not so much.
    Chucky/Eller/Gally should be forced to play every game. lol.

48. crabvader says:

Can I just remind you all that Gally, Chucky and Eller were not in uniform tonight?

I really believe those 3 are going to wreak havoc this year.

49. habs1992 says:

82 games this year too, gonna be a LONG year.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

50. Sportfan says:

TRADE DD BRIERE AND ALL THE OTHER SHORTIES OUT THERE D:

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. DipsyDoodler says:

Cody Franson. $3M/y for 4 years. Do it MB.

52. DipsyDoodler says:

I never liked Iginla.

53. habs1992 says:

DD is just terrible and this was 4/6 of our D-Squad and we still gave up 6 goals and counting

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

54. habs1992 says:

Gonna be a long year WOW

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

55. The Dude says:

Change my mind on Mayer…he’s Carey Price’s stunt double.

56. Sportfan says:

Its Raining its pouring the trolls are out and boring…. Seriously people PRE SEASON

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

57. crabvader says:

So much for that Subban vs Subban shootout scenario! Oh well.