Liveblog: The battle for 14th place goes to a shootout, and Islanders win

Palushaj

Louis Leblanc converted P.K. Subban’s pass for the tying goal in the third period.
On to a shootout … again.

DD: Spectacular goal!

Nielsen: Goal

Plekanec: Wide

Tavares: Wide

Max-Pac: Wide

Parenteau: Wide

Bourque: GOAL!

Moulson: Goal

Eller: Save

Okposo: Save

Markov: Wide

Bailey: Goal

1. FlyingFrenchie says:

Whatever happened to the great game of hockey?
    This resembles Saturday night Beer League action.

2. Mondou6 says:

Why don’t we hit Montoya after every whistle like Budaj gets hit after every whistle?

3. novahab says:

How bad are they tonight again. Last night they were drunk no doubt about it. Tonight they are hung over.

4. Habbu says:

Maybe Campoli at forward?

5. danhabsfan says:

Here we are again… inconsistent Habs play from period to period.
    Sign of a bad team…. sorry to say

6. FANHABULOUS says:

Crapoli and Weber are hot garbage… no business in the NHL

7. Mondou6 says:

Habs need to start playing dirtier tonight to match the Islanders. The refs are going to let everything go tonight.

Boone: Islanders Flurry
    Is that a new Blizzard flavour at DQ in PEI?

9. danhabsfan says:

There it is again… bush-league officiating.
    Quality of the refs has sure nose-dived over the years.

10. Bill says:

That’s a cheap pick Moulson got away with.

Yet another ex-Hab …

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. JIMVINNY says:

Typical. Terrible penalty call, along with a terrible non-call, results in a goal.

Nice pick at the blueline.

Shades of Larry Robinson.

14. JIMVINNY says:

That’s not holding. That’s being stronger.

Hard to argue with that call.

16. Mavid says:

Bob may be half senile..but at least he gives us some credit..unlike some of the bozo’s on CBC..

Having Markov back sure makes a huge difference.

18. Habbu says:

With a new GM; will come a new coach. He’ll want his own guy

19. Mavid says:

.002 % chance of making the playoffs..sooo it could happen

20. Mavid says:

.002 % chance of making the playoffs..sooo it could happen

Campoli, Bourque, Leblanc, Geoffrion and Kaberle need to be replaced. Is Diaz hurt??

22. Captain aHab says:

I see the tanking memo is not being followed. What’s with all this winning?

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

23. danhabsfan says:

have to admit… agree with Cherry about the no-touch icing.
    Either have it or forget about.
    I’ve been saying for years we need to touch icing.

Cunney has finally put together a power play that has been missing in action for over a year now. Good on him. He has the best P.Killing in the league as well. I think he stays on next year!

25. novahab says:

RC if you want respect, then no way Campoli should be playing after shooting his mouth off last night.

26. punkster says:

I used to shudder when people would tout Roy as coach. But when a good friend of mine pointed that the entertainment value alone would be epic…EPIC…I’ve changed my tune. I mean, what the heck, it would be a sh**storm from Day 1 and the hype might just spark some of these stiffs to crank it up a few notches.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

27. Mondou6 says:

Seriously, we’re never going to lose in regulation again.

If we win all the rest of our games, which seems likely now, do we have any chance at the playoffs? Or are we just going to end up 9th?

Should be better powerplay tonight with Markov.

29. immortalhab says:

We better get Roy before the Nordiques get a team because that’s where he’ll be if they get one.

30. habs001 says:

Weber playing d is an adventure…he is not a nhl calibre d ..he has just not been able to take the next step..lacks confidence and plays scared in his end

MaxPac nailed one of the NYI defensemen at the blue line there, whalloped him.

32. shootdapuck says:

What a difference a referee makes!

33. novahab says:

Let me set the record straight for PJ Stock and the other Leaf loving Fans that call themself the CBC broardcast crew. CC would say thank you PG for throwing me under the bus because I got to coach the Canadiens. Look at the record of coaches that went on to make their fortune after a shot at coaching this team. To coach the Habs even for these few game will open doors to his future. It is called the golden ticket. Myself I doubt you won’t see CC back next year .I believe he will be back . I want Roy but don’t think that will happen because he won’t be the good little soldier for the front office and especially the NHL.

34. Just for fun.

If you were an NHL dman on the Canadiens, who would you want to be paired with? Please, don’t say “I’d demand a trade”, not an option.
    I’d go with Emelin. Man, seeing him hit would pump me up.

35. immortalhab says:

If you’re hoping Mtl loses, why watch them? They may as well finish the year thinking they have a hope in hell for next year.

Congrats to Palushaj, monkey off back.

37. Kimberly2u says:

I hope they keep Budaj…I like him

38. PeterD says:

“No Kaberle again. Which one of them had the baby?” – Boone

Laughed so hard I almost wet myself…

39. L Elle says:

Islanders have a Doctorate in Tankology.

40. danhabsfan says:

This is a must lose game for the Habs… why are they scoring.
    Islanders got the memo… they started Montoya (first start in a month)

41. Did I just hear a bollywood song on RDS?
    That Heineken commercial HAHAHA My dad listens to that song

Very early but Eller and Plex together looks pretty good.

43. ont fan says:

Heard that Edmonton might be willing to trade their top pick for a defensive defenseman and a relatively high 2nd rounder.

44. JIMVINNY says:

That’s ridiculous. How does that not get called?

45. Cmoooon Islanders should have started Nabby.. crap.

46. Danno says:

Montoya was having a pit stop when Paloosh scored

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Palushaj is almost scoring at a Gomezian pace.

48. JIMVINNY says:

Geez. Montoya is apparently not onboard the Habs tank wagon.

49. Bill says:

Hope all is well with Kaberle’s girlfriend and new baby … Long absence is unusual.

Eller on the wing with Plex?

51. Kimberly2u says:

Wow Geoff Molson didn’t have his happy face on

O say Canada

53. Old Bald Bird says:

With all of the kudos to Erik Karlsson (well deserved — he’s great), I have a hunch that we’d still be teaching him defensive positioning in CH land and blasting him for every little misstep. What do you think?

54. punkster says:

Taylor Hall concussion?

No, can’t be true because the league doesn’t have a problem. They’re doing everything can to address the situation. I know this because they said so just a few days ago.

No, Taylor Hall doesn’t have a concussion. He’s just had his bell rung, it was a hockey play, he lost his balance, that’s all. Nothing to see here…move along.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Blocked shots are an indicator of team futility, above all else.

The Habs and Isles lead the league in them.

Of the 15 teams with the least blocked shots, all but two are in the playoffs.

Of the 15 with the most only three are playoff bound.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

56. Phil C says:

You have to feel bad for Taylor Hall, he has been unlucky, but I also find his game a little reckless. He won’t last unless he learns to protect himself better. His linemate Nugent-Hopkins almost never gets hit, perhaps he could give him some tips.

57. Kimberly2u says:

Go Habs go

58. matt jordan says:

I disagree with the healthy scratches.

I think the scratches should be Gauthier trade specials, Kaberle and Bourque

59. Phil C says:

I was really hoping RC was going to scratch Bourque for Geoffrion.

Did Kaberle faint in the delivery room and get a concussion when his head hit the floor?

Okay Tankers should be happy, our Habs seemed to have had their worst games throughout the season against some of the leagues worst teams. Islanders are one of the worst.

I am really starting to dislike watching games, understand fully the desire for high draft pick, but still struggling to find any way to cheer against.

Maybe I should watch and cheer for the Leafs, and just find out the Islanders/Habs score at the end of the evening.

62. Exit716 says:

What is the purpose of scratching St. Denis and continuing to play that abomination known as Campoli?

63. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s like a chess match isn’t it?

We start Budaj.

They counter with Montoya.

By the way, is it just me (again) or are the Habs celebrating their goals just a little bit too much recently? Like they want us to think they’re not tanking.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Is it just me, or is green beer just a dumb idea? Maybe it was cute the first time.

And while I’m here: Go Streit! Go Isles!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

65. Cal says:

Time to shut the Islanders down and piss off the tankers. Go Habs Go!

66. Bill says:

There’s so much extreme thinking eh? This is why most fans would make such lousy GMs (that and, y’know, a total lack of experience with professional hockey).

Price sucks! Price is awesome! Price is actually a better-than-average goalie (whose numbers suffer this year because the team’s larger problems) who may develop into a world-beater (I believe this personally). But at this point he is neither among the elite nor a coddled mediocrity, as some here believe.

Or Eller. He’s either a dismal return on the Halak deal who will never turn into a top-six player, or he’s ready to replace Pleks now. Compare him fairly, and you’ll see that right now he’s a decent third-lin centre. Could he become better? Of course. Does he suck. Not at all.

Kaberle is a great example. Listen to some of the posters here and he’s practically the anti-Christ. His salary is HUGE! His contract term is HORRENDOUS. To say that this exaggerates the reality of his 4.5M at two years contract is putting it mildly. But apparently, it’s really hard to see him for what he is: a veteran NHL D with superior offensive abilities and moderate defensive shortcomings.

On the other side, I am always reading about how great it will be to see Tinordi on the Habs’ roster next year! Get real!

Then there’s Gauthier … but enough.

It would be hard to overstate the disappointment of Gomez, the ineptitude of Campoli, or the impact of injuries on the Habs fortunes this year, but for the most part, the Habs are very average as an NHL franchise right now … which is what you’d expect in a parity league.

Next year, the Habs could get lucky and have a healthy team all season, and we’d see essentially the same roster (minus fill-ins like Campoli, Diaz, Palushaj, Nokelainen, etc.) compete for first in their division. Then everyone can exaggerate how great they are, haha. That’d be more fun, for sure :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

You start by telling us that mot fans don’t know much about hockey, then you tell us all about how things really are…

And you lost me at “moderate defensive shortcomings”

• Bill says:

Haha, well at least when I told you how things really are, it was properly prefaced with my “bear in mind I know nothing” statement :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Ronin says:

I like this post. its the cold hard reality of today’s NHL that middle of the road is the norm and a few injuries or bad bounces can put you in the stanley cup final or out of the playoffs depending on how they go. Last year the 2 cup finalists got through the first round in game 7 overtime….what does that say.

Ronin

• Cal says:

By definition a fan is an extremist. Happy St. Paddy’s! ;)
      -edit- Muller is the Canes coach and will be for a while- time for a new avatar, perhaps?

• habstrinifan says:

Based on the standings the HABS are not an average NHL team. Statistcally they are 3rd from LAST!

• habstrinifan says:

Seriously Bill… “superior” offensive abilities and “moderate” defensive shortcomings… Kaberle’s offensive talents are superior to his defensive talents… but relative to any standard of NHL excellence.. Kaberle does not have superior offensive talents and his defensive shortcomings are not moderate… again relative to NHL standards.

• Bill says:

How many defencemen have put up as many points as Kaberle since the lock-out? It’s not too many. He’s solid for 45+ points a year (which is what his pace with the Habs was) and actually, not many defencemen do that.

Defensively, he’s better than half the Habs D, so he’s not even among the worst on our team, much less the league!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Such a good posting, Bill, as usual.
      It’s pleasant to read a calm assessment written without anger or obvious alcohol. although I do think we need Schultz on the first line, Tinordi on first pairing D, a deal of Pleks and Weber for Crosby and Malkin. and that White will score 50 when he comes back… wait.

67. LatheDog says:

Molson and president Gauthier to announce St. Patrick as new GM of Canadiens for 2012/13 at 6 pm press conference.

68. Stev.R says:

Central Scouting:
    NA Skaters
    Yakupov
    Grigorenko
    Murray
    Faksa
    Rielly

Euro Skaters:
    Forsberg
    Collberg
    Hertl
    Aberg
    Pokka

A lot more forwards moving up the draft. Faksa has rocketed up the charts. I still think Forsberg and Faksa are probably really high on Timmins’ list

• Stev.R says:

Or Galchenyuk

• Bill says:

We’d be lucky to get either Faksa or Forsberg (I prefer Forsberg) but I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing the Habs grab the top D-man, if say, they are picking fifth and Yakupov, Grigorenko, Faksa, and Forsberg are all taken.

I’m not enough of a gambler to try on Galchenyuk. He hasn’t played all year; how can he be objectively compared to the other top draft picks who’ve shown their development this season?

I’m not worried though, Timmins has got this.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

I actually like the fact were falling to the 5-8 range, because I really want us to pick Galchenyuk. I think he could very well end up being the best player in the draft. I, like you, believe in Timmins and have no fear that he’ll get us a good player, even if it’s a D. (:

69. HabFab says:

Habsfuture via twitter:Michael Parks & Mark MacMillan are the WCHA’s highest-scoring freshmen during the playoffs. Each has 6 points through 4 games.

Mark MacMillan is a Hab prospect playing on the same team as Danny Kristo

70. 24moreCups says:

Cheers everyone! Happy St. Patricks day, proud to be a Irish men today. Can’t wait for the parade tomorrow, beautiful weather and day time drinking, doesn’t get any better.

71. naweed235 says:

I honestly don’t see why Eller has so many fans here… Hell we thought Kostitsyn was inconsistent … Maybe all the love for Eller comes from the fact that we got him a in a trade for our season’s MVP and we don’t want to admit that we got the short end of the stick?
    I see he has some skill but looks like he has no heart… He shows 0 emotion and in not noticeable in 90% of the games…
    People saying that we should keep him instead of Pleks if a trade was to occur are simply delusional…
    He also has the tendency to make nervous plays (i.e lots of unnecessary icings and penalties)
    And there is my rant for the day

• govenah says:

BTW, I though Staubitz paled in comparison to Neil last night. I think if we don’t get someone who can shut down the like Neil we are not there yet with the tough guy acquisition. I would a prefer someone bigger or sticking with Moen (sign him for 2 more years) because I can remember Moen doing better against Neil and since he has a balanced skill set. Staubitz is a fourth liner energy guy but he cant be the only guy. With White and Staubitz and another big bruiser or a guy who can take face-offs we would have a fourth line. Moen could do fine on a third line with Eller and Bourque for next year.

• HardHabits says:

You have to be an Eller fan to justify trading Halak.

• Gumby1964 says:

You definitely are not watching the same habs games that I watch, he is in the same boat as Pleks, never steady line mates.

Ken Dryden: “There are two types of forwards. Scorers and bangers. Scorers score and bangers bang.”

• Cal says:

For some reason, young fans think that young players are the be all and end all. Unfortunately, they really aren’t. None of the young players on the Habs are 1st liners, excepting Subban (and he’s on D); they are more the 3rd and 4th line type players. Therein lies the Habs problems. Will a high draft pick change this team’s fortunes? That’s a guarded maybe. Look at how high Price was drafted and how long it took him to get where is today.

• K-hab25 says:

LMMFAO!!!!

Price is a 24 year old goaltender, tell me genius, what goaltender, currently playing, has accomplished more by the age of 24. Most of the top guys weren’t even in the NHL till 24 or older. Yet Price took till he was 20 to win his first playoff series, 21 to get his 1st all star appearance, 24 to get his 3rd all star appearance, 23 to get over 100 victories. All this and no mention of his thoroughbred ability to play 70 games a year without injury or falling completely apart, cough, Halak, cough, Thomas. Price will be the #1 goaltender, for the best hockey nation in the world, at the next olympics, nuff said.

• K-hab25 says:

Whom!!!! A guy who loved Halak, wanted him to stay and Carey traded, doesn’t see the potential in Eller. You don’t say. I wouldn’t have thought that to be the case, but heck if it isn’t.

72. Old Bald Bird says:

Ack … just answered Dog’s questions in the last thread, and now I see this thread. Having Textarea Cache in Firefox, permit me to re-post. Not that anyone will care, but others may miss the questions over there and want to chime in.

—–

1. Molson decides to bite the bullet and park one guy in the minors next year. If it was up to you – Gomez OR Kaberle?
    Gomez. Not even close. But both may stay.

2. Habs pull off a big trade for a 30+ goal scorer but to do it they need to give up either Pleks OR Eller. Which do you trade?
    Well they won’t IMO, but Pleks will yield a far bigger return, and since we won’t be competitive anyway for another few years, I say trade Pleks.

3. Habs keep one of these guys for next year but let one go. Who do you let go: Moen OR Staubitz?
    Rusty, but we’d need another somewhat like him.

4. Molson suprisingly fires one of these two but keeps the other: Gauthier OR Cunneyworth. Who gets fired?
    Hmmm … Cunneyworth … because a coach deals with the team daily.

5. In a minor trade at the draft, one of these two guys is packaged up – who would you rather see change addresses: Diaz or Budaj.
    I guess Diaz although I like him. To me this is more or less true in that they’re all lightweights and we can afford to give up one or more –> Diaz=Webber=St Denis=Campoli=Kaberle.

• PureGuava says:

1. Buy out one, trade or send down the other.

2. Eller is 22 years old, has better size, better hands, and has played less minutes with less talented wingers. The scouting report on Eller is that he’s a good setup guy, but doesn’t score – I beg to differ. Keep Eller.

3. Staubitz. Cheaper, tougher — knows his job.

4. Cunnyworth goes. He’s had no good moves this season, and Gauthier is 50/50.

5. Neither. Budaj is fine, so is Diaz. I don’t think you can have Weber, Diaz, Kaberle and Campoli on the same team.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      – Robert Anton Wilson

73. Captain aHab says:

I, and a few other people, would like Jim Nill as the next GM but I’ve been told that he has some sort of clause in his contract whereby he cannot be had before 2013-2014 I think. Has anyone heard this too?

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

74. Higman says:

[In Montreal Canadiens' Locker Room]

Randy: Hey team, things have been going fairly well lately, but I thought I’d go the extra mile for y’all and bring in a motivational speaker for tonight’s game. This here is a budget breaker, so that’s it for the rest of the year – it’s all I got – so pay attention.

[Matt Foley busts into the room]

Easy does it, Mike. Erin is my daughter’s name!

76. He looks worse than Nokelainen.

77. Bill says:

I hope Holland and that draft pick come through. And that the Flames don’t make the playoffs.

Full Breezer 4 Life

78. Muckbringer says:

ill never forget the gomez/cabbie tandem. maybe they want to loose the shootout?

79. Bozo McBozo says:

BALLS, block this moron now!!!

80. Clay says:

Seems legit to me – especially the username ;)

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

81. Bozo McBozo says:

Man, being a Habs fan is bad enough, but this geezer will have us hawk purses!

They seem legit. I mean how can you go wrong with:

REPEAT AGAIN: