Closer than it actually was

Good news: the Canadiens won’t lose any more home games this year.

Florida took a 3-0 lead into the third period and withstood two goals by Andrei Markov and a late-game flurry to end 2007’s home schedule on a sour note for Canadiens.

At least they didn’t leave the ice with boos echoing off the rafters of the Bell Centre. With snow wreaking havoc in Montreal, many fans were gone by the time Markov scored his second, with 24 seconds remaining. Those who stayed saw Canadiens press for the equalizer, to no avail.

Christopher Higgins described the loss as a "weird game" with a lot of play in the neutral zone.

"The biggest thing," Higgins said, "is we weren’t moving he puck deep. We weren’t skating, and we didn’t have any bite to our game. There was no sustained offensive pressure.

"A fast start is key for our team" Higgins added. "We didn’t have the aggression we need in our game.

"If we’re nnot taking the game to them, we play into their hands. They clog the neutral zone, they do a great job backchecking. We had to put pucks into the right spots on the ice."

Mike Komisarek lamented Canadiens’ inconsistency.

"We take a couple steps forward," he said, "then we’re back to square one."

The season, Komisarek said, is "a grind – 82 games and it’s a challenge every night.

"There are no easy games, no easy shifts."

And no excuse, the big defenceman added "for playing soft."

1. Moey says:

I’ll check him out and get back to you.

What about me? Chop liver?

3. Habs-Kat says:

Rick DiPietro is far and away the best looking guy in the NHL.

4. Moey says:

Shelly was and still is in a class of his own, if you’re going to dream, dream big is my motto.

5. Habs-Kat says:

Off the top of my head: Higgins, Chipchura, Komisarek is cute, Brisebois ain’t bad for an old guy, CAREY PRICE, Lapierre looks good with short hair

6. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree…game OVER!!! Pull Price and get Huet some ice time

7. Y says:

Price pulled a Patrick there. WTF were you thinking?

8. Keith says:

Well, I hate to say it but… that’s probably the game. They will trap us into the ice the rest of the game.

9. Keith says:

I hate playing this team more than any other team because of piece of S&^T system they employ. IT’S GARBAGE TRAP HOCKEY. The NHL should outlaw such garbage as it ruins the game in my opinion.

10. P St. Pierre says:

I hate it when the Habs play the Panthers…

11. Barts says:

Bad pinch by Komisarek, but weak play by Koivu to create that situation.

12. The Teacher says:

Bad decision by Komi

13. The Teacher says:

I dunno, there’s a bit of hitting going on..it’s fun to watch.

14. bigjames says:

watching from hong kong on nhl.com. getting the panthers feed. denis potvin is colour guy and was commenting abt the bulldogs. kept getting the ahl championship wrong..called it tons of things including memorial cup. finally had to come back a few mins later and explain it was calder cup….would not have expected that of ol’ denis…

15. P St. Pierre says:

Yeah, this is a bit slow to start. The Canadiens can’t use their speed much with the Martin Trap in place.

16. Keith says:

God another Yawner game against these guys. It seems everytime we play the Jacques Martin Panthers it’s always a tight uninspiring game. The last game we blew it with 10 seconds left and lost the game in overtime I think. We cannot let that happen again. Let’s win our last home game of the year in fine style. GO HABS GO!!!

17. Moey says:

Hey Kat,

Which guys do you think are hot?

18. The Teacher says:

So far SK74 and Price have looked great tonight.

19. linp says:

Florida is playing a trap. There is not much room to skate.

20. Habs-Kat says:

I have a feeling this isn’t exactly gonna be a model New NHL game.

21. Habs-Kat says:

You know, I thought the team’s overall hotness would take a hit with the departure of Sheldon Souray – but they still look pretty great! Sheldon who?

22. TommyB says:

I won’t blow her/his cover, but I think I know who your seatmate is tonight!

23. The Teacher says:

Ohhh, nice energy at the start

24. The Teacher says:

Mike, you’re right..Traffic IS insane…took me 2 hours to get home in St. Laurent from Lacordaire…..

and I drove!

25. Alirio says:

Mike you’re too generous…

Panthers win 3-0

I’ve made a huge mistake…

26. Ed says:

It’s official. The Boone Reverse Jink has been declared, & it has worked for the last 2 games. GO HABS GO!!!

Got to go out to my friends dish to catch this one, post when i get back.

By the way, I have 2 points in my pocket that J. Martin gave us tonight. Not to spoil your game this evening i’ll post them for us later when i get back in. Don’t want to tell you the outcome in advance.

Relax, enjoy, its in the bag!

IAN

28. GrimJim says:

Beware the let down game after two high-emotion matches.

29. Mattee. says:

depends, have you been watching Catwoman again cournoyer? 😛

30. Mattee. says:

Good evening all. Are we starting a football thread? Perfect. My two favourite sports all rolled in one.

Rafa is an excellent coach. He’s taken second tier players and put a strategy into place that works with the talent he’s got. It doesn’t hurt having a guy like Steven Gerard as you’re captain. I’m not a big fan of English football, but Gerard is the real deal, very few can strike the ball as consistenly as he does. This year has been different for Liverpool however, they’ve always been the most difficult team to cut through. Excellent defense, and they make it impossible to go up the middle. All I saw last year were lobs from the outside falling right into the keepers hands. Games all finished 1-0 or 2-0. This year however, I’m seeing the cracks up the middle. They need to fix up that back end, it’s falling apart. It hurt losing to Man U. over the weekend, got razed a little by those hooligan friends of mine. Bottom line anyway, I can hardly blame Rafa, bring him something golden to work with already.

You’ll never walk alone. Oh and.. Go Habs Go…

31. likehoy says:

i don’t know who really follows the premier league here…but liverpool is in a position where push comes to shove.

For years now they’ve been signing second-rate players to try to fill out roster spots and trying to compete for the title (kind of like the canadiens did trying to make the playoffs for many years). Rafa wants to sign some top rate players with big money and he’s going to need ample money because his team’s track-record is just OK for a big team in europe. Teams like AC Milan, Man Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid (and many more) have more spending money PLUS they are more credible teams.

Liverpool needs more results to lure more players, but they need the money to form a team capable of obtaining these results.

Gillet and Hicks are building them a new football stadium which is great money-wise and maybe the americans believe just a little patience will yield enough income through the stadium to provide Rafa with his spending money, but Rafa’s job will be on the line if he continually scores 4th place finishes in the EPL and may not be around when the money becomes available. At least what looks good on his record is that he’s very good in europes UEFA champions league.

32. likehoy says:

then we’ll be moaning that he should have called one at a more appropriate time.

33. Ed says:

Mike Boone, I am waiting for the Boone Reverse Jink. It is now 2-0, & it would be great to go 3-0.

34. OldGrover says:

Did you hear the interview? He suggested he might call a timeout in the first few minutes, just so people couldn’t say he didn’t call one.

35. Dan23 says:

Already the last home game of the year…where does the time go?

I honestly have no idea whether the Dr. Jekyll or the Mr. Hyde Canadiens will show tonight. Hopefully Price will offer an outstanding performance to justify Carbo’s faith in him, and I’d like to see Sergei K. get his first NHL goal.

Other than that, I just hope they win.

36. Wops says:

Its going to be a tough one…Jacques Martin style.
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

37. Ali says:

Whats the over/under on Carbo calling a time-out tonight?

38. Les-Habitants says:

Heading to the game tonight :D, although I guess I choose an odd one to attend…but hey, tickets are hard to come by for a decent price.

There isn’t an explanation for why the Panthers are the only club with an all-time winning record against the canadiens. The way the habs have played in their last 3 games, you would expect the Bleu-Blanc-et Rouge to come out flying and press the advantage. They got a great home-win on Saturday, and I see no logical reason why the habs will lose. I mean, wtf, we’re the better team here!!

Anywho, Go Habs Go, looking forward to being part of a loud Bell Centre crowd.