Circle the wagons

Predictably, his teammates rallied around Carey Price.

Hal Gill, Mike Cammalleri and Josh Gorges took turns conveying the same party line:

The Bell Centre crowd may have their doubts about the Number 1 goaltender, but his teammates believe in him.

“What’s important,” Jacques Martin said, “is how the organization and all the players feel about Carey.

“Our fans are very passionate, and you have to respect that,” Martin added. The coach ventured the prediction that Price would emerge stronger from a game in which he yielded four goals on the first eight shots he faced and was subjected to derisive cheers on the saves he made.

“Is he Superman?” Gorges asked rhetorically. “Is he supposed to save everything: breakaways, backdoor, 2-on-1s …

“We have to help him,” Gorges added. “This is our team. We’re all in this together. And as a fan, you have to be supportive.”

No you don’t. Not in Montreal, the self-styled world capital of hockey, where we love our teams, win or tie … and ties don’t happen anymore.

Yes, it was a meaningless exhibition game. And no, Price did not get great support from his D or backchecking forwards.

But an air of nervous expectation hung over the Bell Centre like a cigarette cloud in the old Forum. Everyone was holding their breath, waiting to see how Price would perform.

He was unlucky … but not very good, either.

And at least on this night, Price failed to exorcise the ghost of Jaroslav Halak.

He’ll get another chance, probably in front of a more sympathetic crowd –  in Ottawa on Saturday night

How did Price feel about his worst-case-scenario ordeal?

We don’t know.

The goaltender did not come out to the room to be interviewed about a crowd reaction Gill candidly described as “disheartening”.

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri I and II | Hal Gill | Josh Gorges | Aaron Palushaj

1. The Juice says:

I love you guys 😉

Boone uses MSPAINT.EXE

3. SeriousFan09 says:

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Mike Boone says:

Dumont is number 37

5. Puck Bard says:

Regarde avec RDS, listen on CJAD.

6. HabsMitch says:

I’m getting a pretty good stream from there!

7. The Big One says:

I just hope another broadcaster shows the games that RDS isn’t airing.  I one of them makes it on atdhe.

8. crabvader says:

Andre Benoit? Benoit Brunet?

In Andre’s case, no, he’s part of the Senators now.

Bouchard is the new commentator in Brunet’s case.

9. Keith says:

Sergio Momesso! Been a long time but I remember him well. Played like the Sutter Bros.

10. Chorske says:

Boys, it’s been a long, long summer.

VERY excited for tonight. And the game doesn’t even count!

11. Puck Bard says:

Ya, that was sweet: 3 5 on 3s?

12. Puck Bard says:

Max Lap: gettin’ the love.

13. HabsMitch says:

Has Benoit returned??? I actually liked him, this is good news if true!

14. Rugger says:

Understatement of the year: Wilson on the laffs pre-game “Our power play wasn’t that good last night”

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Leblanc is wearing 71? Did he get the Breezer’s permission?

What # is Dumont sporting?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. dhenry1234 says:

im begging the habs faithful. please give me a link to this game. PLEASE

17. Keith says:

Sorry Mr. Boone, but I ALWAYS count out the laffs. I put a curse on em.

18. Keith says:

LMFAO!!! That should have been done looooooooooong ago!

19. Propwash says:

LOL, no coach will ever be able to get that abortion of a team turned around.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

20. RJB says:

Boone and his expert photoshop skills are back! It’s hockey season!!

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Burke is the hail mary of the money managers of the MLSE organization, Wilson’s getting sacked first, every GM automatically gets himself out of a jam by sacking his coach and bringing in a new guy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. oshawahabsfan says:

As both a designer and an avid hockey fan and player it bothers me how incredibly stale goalie pad designs are currently. I don’t think I’ve seen a more boring set of equipment than what’s pictured there. What happened to goalies having some personality. I fondly remember the great Koho designs that Roy used to wear

23. Propwash says:

It wont shock me if Burke is ***tcanned if the loafs remain basement dwellers this year.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Any listing out there for the player numbers the non-regulars will be wearing?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. Chuck says:

The only thing that the Leafs will be doing with a registered long gun will be being taken out back and Old Yellered.

26. Mike Boone says:

As veteran readers of the blog can attest, I tend to low-ball the Canadiens … with the goal of being pleasantly surprised. And I forgot to mention the Sabres, who have Ryan Miller and a great coach. But I’m sticking to my registered long guns: Don’t count out Atlanta or the Leafs.

27. Chuck says:

As long as the coach doesn’t bench him after a couple of great starts, he’ll be fine.

28. Chuck says:
    “Cristobal Huet: CKAC reports he’ll be on waivers Friday and will then join Fribourg. Wasn’t that a hit for Lynyrd Skynyrd?”

… groan …
  29. SeriousFan09 says:

Predicting another strong season for Rask, plus the addition of Horton, Seguin putting new scoring punch back in the lineup would be how Boone is raising BOS over MTL.

Their D after Chara is questionable though and Rask has to escape the Sophmore slump. MTL I think has a real shot at the Division if Pouliot, AK and Price play to their potential.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. Chuck says:

Nice paint job… a blur!  😉

31. The Juice says:

Boone, good to have you back discussing themes of a hockey related nature rather than posting ramdom videos (although the last one was hilarious!), but I’m afraid you appear to have been drinking some form of tainted kool-aid given your Eastern Conference predictions:

1) Why would the Habs cede position to Boston? Do you actually believe they have a better team?

2) Atlanta will NOT be challenging for a playoff spot.

3) The Leafs have NO CHANCE of being within sniffing distance of 12th place come March.

Anyone disagree?

32. SeriousFan09 says:

The RDS stream I survived on last season is apparently using this link for pre-season Habs action, not sure if it will work but it’s the best I have so far.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. Harani says:

Line-up for tonight:

• Aaron Palushaj-Tomas Plekanec-Mike Cammalleri
    • Tom Pyatt-Jeff Halpern-Maxim Lapierre
    • Travis Moen-Ben Maxwell-Benoit Pouliot
    • Andrew Conboy-Louis Leblanc-Gabriel Dumont

• Josh Gorges-Hal Gill
    • Jaroslav Spacek-Jarred Tinordi
    • Yannick Weber-Frédéric St-Denis

• Carey Price!!

“It must be love!”

34. Chuck says:

Dana, you make it sound like the kid’s never won a game in the NHL!

35. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The pre-season has its downsides, but I’m just going to be an armchair GM in charge of inconsequential scouting tonight. The game is meaningless but the play should be informative. I want a look at the kids, to see not only how the NHLers look, but also to start getting a read on some of the AHLers.

36. Woah_Dana says:

Well, coming from one who was a believer in Halak over Price, I too have to say that I hope the crowd keeps their lips zipped. We’ve had most of the summer to digest the decision to keep Price over Halak (minus those who’d hoped for just that), & Price is all we’ve got going for us between the posts. We really have no choice but to believe (try?) & be supportive no matter what happens tonight (it’s pre-season, common!) – otherwise.. it’s going to be a very, very long year.

Excited for tonight nonetheless!!

GO HABS!

37. Woah_Dana says:

That’s what I was thinking. Price Era, Take Two *snap*

GO HABS!

38. Mr.Hazard says:

MY PREDICTION: barring 3 early soft goals, fans will be supportive of Price. As they should. Besides, they realize he is their best chance, now that Halak is gone.

“Shit-disturber” -Bar

39. oshawahabsfan says:

Haven’t really scoured the ‘experts’ predictions yet, but who in their right mind would pick Boston to finish ahead of Montreal in the standings. Their defence is worse, goaltending at best a draw, offence posesses less threats than Montreal’s, especially with no Savard for the powerplay. Nobody on that team will score as many goals as Cammalleri or Gionta. Seguin is a nice prospect, but I wouldn’t expect him to lead the Bruins to the promise land this year

40. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I’m only mildly excited for tonight. The pre-season is far too long for my liking. What are the Habs playing? Something like 6 games in 9 nights??

Anyhow, I hope the win a few, just for morale purposes, but I don’t think we should put any real stock into tonight’s or any other pre-season game results.

41. Chorske says:

I wonder about that first statement. Part of me thinks that all Pouliot needs to do in this town to keep his nose clean is sois beau et parle Francais, but then, the locals do have a history of being extra hard on the homeboys.

When has a goalie NOT been a whipping boy- in this town, or any other? Boos or no boos, a player has to go out and play his game. And there are guys who have been through worse- MUCH worse. The fact that O’Byrne is still with us, and playing more confidently, and keeping a positive attitude, is amazing considering how badly he was raked over the coals two years ago. And don’t even get me started about Brisebois.

42. Greg says:

I disagree.  I think Pouliot will be able to silently do nothing if he chooses too.  I don’t think Habs fans have too many expectations for Pouliot. We didn’t really give anything up for him, so if he excels, great, but if he doesn’t at least we’re no further behind than we were before we traded for him.

Price however, has been, and will continue to be, everyone’s favorite whipping boy.  What’s disgusting is how Habs fans treat their 23 year old goaltender who has the potential to be a great franchise goalie.  Patience people.  Bob Gainey’s best (and maybe most prophetic, we’ll see…) line when he was GM was “the fans should be careful who they boo out of town”.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

43. sidhu says:

I have a gut feeling Pouliot will be this year’s whipping boy — Lars will jump up to the 2nd line, Halpern skates with Max and Moen/Pyatt.

I’m hoping both Pouliot and AK47 step it up — 20g for the former, 30g for the latter.

44. sidhu says:

Good to see you again, Showey [tapping your pads]

Let’s go boys!

45. JF says:

This year’s team should be a little better than last if one or both of Kostitsyn and Pouliot perform consistently to the level they’re capable of.  But without solid goaltending, the team is going nowhere, and “the Price era begins tonight.”  Price is the present and future of this franchise in nets; behind him are two veterans, neither of whom has managed to hold down a starter’s job (Auld and Sanford), and a handful of young prospects who are years away from having a chance to make it.  I hope fans will remember this and give Price a warm welcome tonight, and support him through the bad times as well as the good.  He’s going to give up bad goals and play bad games; it happens to all goaltenders.  He needs to know that the fans are behind him and will not start mercilessly booing and chanting Halak’s name the moment things go wrong.  His teammates and most observers agree that he matured a great deal over the last year; nevertheless, early in the season at any rate, it probably wouldn’t take much to shatter his confidence.  We can’t afford to have that happen.  We can’t afford to see him leave Montreal and develop his enormous potential elsewhere.

46. Harani says:

Happy birthday to my lovely daddy who I’m going to the game with tonight! Gotta love a daddy who buys me a 2007 Black Honda Civic! SWEET! Just hoping he doesn’t make me drive it till it hits Hickey-territory.

“It must be love!”

47. Propwash says:

Anyone else feeling more comfortable having Sanford as a backup, rather than Auld?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

48. DearyLeary says:

It’s just pre-season, but I’m ultra-excited.

49. HabsProf says:

I think you mean the 2nd Price Era, don’t you?  We already had the start of the Price Era a couple of years back.  It ended prematurely.

And yes, I also hope the cheap seats (are there any cheap seats in the Bell Centre?) will be patient. I also doubt they will be.

“Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

50. Propwash says:

I’m totally jazzed to see tonight’s game, win or lose.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

51. showey47 says:

We put the “fun” in dysfuntional.

52. sidhu says:

Ahh.. the live blog is back!  Finally!

Looking forward to another season with you, Boone, and the rest of the Habs I/O (sometimes disfunctional) family.

GO HABS GO!