Cancel the panic

Gotta love .500 hockey.

And what’s more entertainiong than 30 minutes of garbage time.

1. andrewberkshire says:

She looks like Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother imo.

2. thorandresson says:

that’s what I was thinking, but in that case it sucks for Weber

3. port elgin says:

Wrong, PK can sit and think about his dumb move that cost them the game. One game in what’s gonna be a long career is no big deal. Personally I think JM knows what he ‘s doing. Just be glad you don’t have Ron Wilson behind the bench.

4. OneTimer says:

All I’ve got to say is, well done Mr. Auld.

She does have UWO written all over her though. 😉

5. Gormdog says:

If that’s the case… Poor Weber!!!

6. andrewberkshire says:

I wouldn’t second guess him as coach of the team. Single decisions can be mistakes, but overall it’s tough to say that Martin has been anything but a good coach.

Also love the limo reference. Desharnais only rides in style!

7. nick says:

Hey a few games ago, it was said Spacek was supposed to sit. Game time comes around, and he played. It’s very possible that the same thing happens tonight… Not worth having a heart attack over nothing… Lets wait for the puck to drop.

8. twilighthours says:

I think PK could have learned a thing or two about last night’s game WITHOUT being benched for tonight’s.  I don’t agree with this move by JM.

Cammalleri was (at least half) responsible for that OT goal.  He wussed out on the play, big time.  He was also (at least half) responsible for the tying goal.

Is there a spot in the pressbox for Cammalleri, too?

9. habs001 says:

a future battle of the blades star  or disney on ice….i hope i am wrong but this game looks to me a 4-1 loss…

10. likehoy says:

but I agree, like any young player, Subban needs to be taught lessons

he wasn’t made perfect.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

11. kempie says:

I agree, this is a big mistake. We need a W tonight in the worst way. After that “thing” I saw last night, this team should be feeling not so great. To follow last night’s collapse with an L against the second worst team in the league won’t help the collective psyche. No Subban is not going to help, especially against a team we have so much trouble with (Marty F. or not). Last night can’t be hung solely on PK. Using JM’s logic, 3/4 of the team should be in the pressbox tonight. Maybe this is one of those times when I’m convinced JM is being an idiot but it turns out he is a genius. It’s happened before. No doubt he is pissed. Trying to build a defensively-minded team, he finds himself up 3-1 with a W in the bag against the worst team in the league (give or take a point or two) who’s definition of defense is something the other team does to them. His team thinks “that looks like fun, let’s try that too”. They engage in a run-and-gunfest with a team with lots of speed and nothing to lose and the result is the clustermuck from last night. I’m pretty shocked by what I saw last night and I’m sure the team is pretty freaked out too. I just don’t think this is a wise move at all. I think it’s bad on many levels. I hope you’re right and this is a threat like the Spotcheck benching. Personally, I’m not ready to push the panic button yet, but I have unlocked the acrylic housing that covers it and armed the device.

Who, who… Gomez of course. Duh!

13. Gormdog says:

So that PK could learn a thing or six about reeling it in and NOT make ridiculous boneheaded plays that would get him benched in peewee

When you are ahead, you dont pull the move that PK attempted at the blue line. You just don’t. JM said it before, he said it again, and after last night his patience finally ran out. PK may think he’s too good for the simple plays in hockey but I bet you JM disagrees.

I love PK, great player, but sometimes he forgets he’s playing for the Montreal Canadiens instead of the Pk Subbans.

14. JFriedman says:

Is Martin asking the Habs to fire him???

Why else would he bench PK?

15. Chorske says:

Or a limo ride, for that matter.

One thing for sure- if Weber doesn’t shine, there will be much second guessing of JM. Even more than usual, which is saying something.

Which kind of makes me feel bad for Weber.

16. Chorske says:

Well, you’re certainly in good company! A lot of posters agree with you. 🙂

And I certainly agree with the approach you describe, showing tapes etc. Coach byrneNL is absolutely in agreement with coach Chorske on that. I guess my point is that JM has almost certainly been doing that. But I don’t know that he has, and you don’t know that he hasn’t! I guess to some extent I am also inclined to give the ol’ coach the benefit of the doubt?

17. likehoy says:

I wonder how tough it could be for weber though, he’s best friends with PK…

If weber were to steal his best friend’s spot that is.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

18. habs001 says:

the team played last night…now spacek and hammer are expected to play major minutes. …who is going to carry the puck out of the zone…could be a long night…we may have to score 4 goals (may not sound much but for the moens,pyatts etc on this team that is a miracle)

19. byrneoNL says:

That’s not what I said either. I said Don’t Bench Him, Coach him.

The implication was never that both had to be mutually exclusive, but rather the former does not equate to the latter.

Benching is one weapon a coach has in his arsenal of coaching techniques. I don’t think it’s the most effective use here, in PK’s situation. I think you bench people who are consistently underperforming, or not showing an effort. Any number of Habs can be considered for that right now; one guy’s name rhymes with 7.4 million. (not that Im’ saying bench gomez, I’m just saying his performance this year is in line with the performance I would expect of a player who finds himself riding the pine)

You don’t bench (typically) someone who gives 100% every night, but has one bad night. Especially if he’s among your best d-man. I think you take PK aside, chew him out a bit, show him the tapes, tell him he’s got to be better and that we can’t have him being a liability out there with those risky plays. You cut his minutes back a bit, take him off the PP, make him hungry to get his play time back. On a back to back game like tonight, God knows they need his legs. 99 periods out of 100 he’s better than he was last night.

That said, I do agree with the park about getting PK back on board with the system. And I know a message has to be sent. Im’ just worried that message could be lost on PK as: If you screw up, you get benched.

(meaning when he comes back, he’s going to wind up being so cognicent of that, he’ll be more tentative and prone to making more mistakes). But who knows. All i know is coach byrneNL wouldn’t bench him tonight =) I’d give him a chance to redeem himself.

20. andrewberkshire says:

I think Gorges has had trouble coping with Gill lately, but maybe that’s just me.

I would be sending Weber back to Hamilton, personally. It’s not like he wouldn’t be a flight away from an emergency callup.

21. habaholic68NJ says:

Hey Mike.  I will be at the Brick City Bar and Grill before the game (directly across from the Pru Center) and at the game will be sitting in section 9 row 18.  Let me know if you want to stop by for a drink before the game or talk shop in between periods.  I will wear a Habs Jersey.

22. Chorske says:

Fair enough. There is perhaps more going on behind the scenes here, a deeper message that needed to be sent?

There is the additional problem of when to play Weber. Who do you bench instead of Subban? Gorges (who has been more reliable IMO, but perhaps we can hash THAT out over beers)? Spacek?

23. Gormdog says:

I’m now looking at this not only as a message to PK, but also a message to Weber. It’s one thing to sneak into the lineup it’s another to play in the place of your (arguably) best healthy defenseman. Weber will be really pumped and it has been a long time since we’ve seen him take a regular NHL d man shift.

Maybe his D game has improved. From what ive read it’s more his O game that keeps improving but… Ya never know. I would like to see him play a couple of games in a row with a stay-at-home partner he can get used to and THEN pass judgement on his potential worth as an NHL player.

24. andrewberkshire says:

The fact that there were 23 games between big mistakes for a rookie who’s been asked to shoulder a heavier load than planned? Not at all. The only defenseman who’s been more consistent this season is Hamrlik. I see no reason to significantly weaken our roster over one bad game. Seems to me that Martin is overreacting as much as many of the posters here last night.

25. Chorske says:

Disagree. The fact that the same mistakes were made 23 games apart actually kinda makes it worse, no?

26. MikeMcLaren says:

Yes, their fans are nice… all three of them!

The Meadowlands is nothing compared to the dangers of Newark though.  The big complaint was that you couldn’t get to the Brendan Byrne / Continental Airlines / Izod Arena by way of mass transit.

Well, they sure fixed that!  Yet still fans don’t show up.  Some of this is in jest.  I’ve been to three games or so in the new arena and as long as you walk fast from the train station to the arena, you’ll usually live to tell about it.

But as for fans not coming to games?  Seriously, check out and see how much tickets are going for to tonight’s game.  I’m just mad I didn’t wait until today to buy tickets!

I went to a game during an ice storm in the old arena.  One section literally had TWO people in it.  Amazing.

27. Chorske says:

What in the world makes you think that JM is not talking to PK constantly about his positioning and puck movement? Why do you assume that PK is getting hit with a tree trunk? If anything, he’s been treated with kid gloves.

JM’s coaching style may not be to everyone’s tastes, but the one thing you can say is that he has been 100% crystal clear about his expectations wrt puck support, positioning, and two-way play. When the team plays to that system, they are rewarded with wins- even when they don’t score more than 2 or 3 goals- the genius of the system is that it is tailored to a team that really doesn’t have any big name natural scorers, allowing them to compete on any given night against high powered teams like VAN or PHI. But the key to the system is that EVERYONE has to buy in, including (especially) the young, inexperienced guys like PK. I think this is exactly the right time to be sending PK this message. He was off-program last night, not for the first time. This will do him some good.

28. andrewberkshire says:

Chris, the loss against Tampa was 23 games ago. I don’t think it’s even relevant.

29. Chorske says:

Put it this way. You have a probably-NHL-ready but seriously underutilized dman in Weber who needs to get a game in every now and then. You want to play him against  astruggling opponent so he can find his legs, so he isn’t coming in cold against teams like Philly or Detroit. NJ seems a likely candidate.

On the other hand you have a budding superstar D man who brings an amazing offensive game, but whose lapses have been directly responsible for two overtime losses in games we were winning. I’m thinking of the Tampa loss, which was a carbon copy of last night’s game (but against a stronger opponent, mind you). I have no problem with giving the kid time to think. It won’t be any more than one game, anyway.

30. Wops says:

And CBrady12 that really doesnt know his hockey since Byfuglien was brought as a D-man before being transfer as a foward after. Huge difference. He had NHL experience.Same with Streit…

And I think we can agree Big Buf is an exception at 260lbs

31. JD_ says:

Whatever it is you think PKster is sayin’, and however it rubs you, he is quite explicitly not tellin’ you to STFU.

32. likehoy says:

subban will have 55 other games to bounce back with

he gets 1 game to think about it

I think the trade off is fair.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

33. byrneoNL says:

I don’t believe the concepts HAVE to be mutually exclusive. I guess I could have edited to say “Dont’ just bench him – Coach Him.”  I don’t believe that benching him is more effective than coaching him. Benching is basically caveman coaching. Hit him over the head with a tree trunk, he’ll get the message. “Bad plays are bad for team You sit now!”

PK should have been chewed out, and see his minutes reduced. Kicking him out of the lineup tonight, a back to back game, I think is poor decision making. PK has legs. Hammer, Spatch and Gill do not. Gill makes more mistakes per game than PK, and Spatch makes almost as many as Gill. And neither have the legs to recover from their errors. Weber has legs, but he’s still not nearly as valuable as PK 99 periods ouf of 100.

34. Chorske says:

Lurch, I ABSOLUTELY agree.

35. andrewberkshire says:

I think it was very clear from last night’s audio that Subban understands he made some bad mistakes. As for giving him the same “status” as Spacek, I could care less about being a veteran or a rookie, Subban has been the second best defenseman on this team since Markov went down. Only Hamrlik has been better. Inserting Weber, to me, is a ridiculous over-reaction.

36. Chorske says:

Punkster is many things. But he is not an assoholic.

37. Chorske says:

What a load of nonsense.

First of all, a vet and a newbie do not and should not get the same leeway from a coach. The lessons that need to be learned are too different. It’s coaching 101.

Second, Spacek almost was benched- and has since turned his game completely around, so why are you still carping? Gill has always been slow, so how is this news? He still manages to be effective by using his reach. And at least Gill’s shots are released quickly and generally make it past the defender standing immediately in front of him. SOmething certain other young budding superstars need to learn, I might add.

And who gives a flying fig if the goal was pretty? Gomez moved toward the net and passed it into the most dangerous spot on the ice- credit Darche for creating confusion there, but full credit to Gomez for putting the puck where it needs to be for good things to happen. Isn’t that what we’ve been shouting at him to do all year?

38. byrneoNL says:

Reads more like he was saying “STFU, you guys don’t know better than JM so our opinions have no validity  followed by some sarcastic comment about how we couldn’t possibly know better than him cause we’re not famous NHL coaches.. (which none of us are proclaiming we are). At least I wasn’t.

Basically the statement was that all our opinions are invalid cause we are not NHL coaches like JM. That’s how i read it. Inviting is us to complain, then telling us all we have nothing valid to contribute cause we’re not coaches, to me, seems kinda a$$holic. That is all.

Go Habs Go

39. CBrady12 says:

Yeah cause Byfuglien ruined his career while playing forward with chicago…What does Quennville know anyways, Wops is clearly a NHL calibre coach…

40. likehoy says:

subban’s still young so he can be benched..

too bad gomez and cammalleri have some “status” on the team as UFAs and big trades and being paid a bajillion dollars and can’t be benched otherwise I would have benched them way earlier.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

41. Chorske says:

I’m not sure I agree that Subban should be accorded the same “status” wrt benchability as a veteran like Spacek. The message that needed to be sent is different: in Spacek’s case, it was simply “wake up, Summer’s over”– in Subban’s case, the message seems to be more serious: “get with the program and tighten things up”.

42. Chorske says:

In short: Don’t bench him. Coach him.

I completely disagree that the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the best thing a coach can do if a player isn’t on board or isn’t focused is bench him.

43. Ron says:

Did PK not go leg on leg with an Oiler player early in the game and seemed to take abit to skate it off. Just maybe something was not right this morning and he is getting a rest day instead of getting benched. He did not have one of his better games for sure and was on for too many give aways etc and he may be being punished for that but it is a possible rest since JM thinks playing Webber against the Devels might be a good spot to insert him.

44. Harani says:

Amen to everything except the last sentence!

“It must be love!”

45. andrewberkshire says:

Benching Subban is a mistake, win or loss. I’d much rather see him get the chance to bounce back. However I’m not so sure Martin won’t put him in the lineup at the last second, he did that wth Spacek earlier in the year.

46. Chorske says:

I caught a game in Jersey back in the old Meadowlands days. It was pretty sketchy back in the day, too.

But the NJ fans were awesome, actually. Super friendly.

47. Chorske says:

What is all this whining about self-confidence? Is PK really so fragile that he can’t be taught a lesson in responsibility? What silliness. He’s a pro. He knows he crapped the bed, he said as much in the post game comments. He’ll sit, he’ll stew, he’ll bounce back next game. Because you KNOW he ain’t sitting out for more than one. PK is too smart to not get this simple message.

And added bonus of this move: another talented DMan gets some playing time in, against a struggling opponent.

I agree with the folks who argue Auld should have played one of these two games.

48. win4ce says:

Couldn’t agree more. He’s a young guy and we all knew he was going to make mistakes this year. It’s a learning curve for any rookie in this league especially in a high pressure city like Montreal and all the hype Subban got before even playing. Benching him is just going to make him second-guess himself once he’s back in the lineup. I think your idea of less ice time to make him re-earn those minutes is the perfect solution to an off night like yesterday. I hope JM knows what he’s doing because I completely disagree with this move. The only positive is that PK doesn’t come off as a negative guy. He faced the media after a bad game, admitted he made some mistakes and is probably itching to prove himself again. I’d expect him to come back strong with his next few games, but I’m predicting we wont see any “Soobie-Doo’s” for a little while; he’s going to be too nervous to play his game. The biggest problem is that those finesse plays that drive a coach crazy is the way he plays an its the way he’s the most effective. Take the good and the bad because the good greatly outweighs the bad. I’ll gladly lose one point against Edmonton to have the PK that has been nothing less than stellar in every game this season.

49. MikeMcLaren says:

I am terrified of tonight’s game…

… because I’m going to it.  It’s going to be a LONG walk from the train station to the Prudential Center now that the city of Newark has laid off 14% of its police force.

Not good!

50. MikeL says:

So you hated Carbo too? It didn’t seem to hurt Mark Streit’s career. Considering the only way Streit got into the lineup was playing forward, I bet he’s pretty happy now looking back that he was playing forward.

51. MikeL says:

Where’s the bad record? Nathan Horton and Stephen Weiss seem to be doing just fine.

Chara, Hossa, and Havlat aren’t too bad either.

52. JD_ says:

“Whine, complain, cry all you want.”

Settin’ aside the topic at hand, reads like a fairly harmless and open-ended invitation to me.

53. Wops says:

a coach who brings a young Defenseman and makes him play foward, and on the wrong side on the PP.

54. Wops says:

a coach who has a good record for developping young players too… ….

55. byrneoNL says:

Soooo what you’re saying is that because we’re not all among the most experienced coaches in the NHL, we were not allowed to express our opinions on a fan site?

I don’t agree with the benching, I’ve said why. I never once said I’d be a more winning coach than JM. Take a step back there buddy.

56. DearyLeary says:

4 vs. 4 is all about puck possession.  If you don’t like the look you start it back up and get another look.  There’s too much space to make a mistake in the neutral zone or your own end, as was evidenced last night.

57. kninja says:

Who knows why PK is sitting?  Only those in the room… and even then, maybe it’s just between the coach and PK.  Maybe they felt Weber deserves a chance on D for a game (either for his development or to showcase him for a trade) and 2 games in two nights, coupled with a rough game for PK means that he sits.  I think he’ll bounce back and it’ll be good for him in the long run.  Either way, it’s just one game.

For those who keep talking about how some vets aren’t sitting and he is?  Vets will get the benefit of the doubt and will be given a longer leash… and I think rightfully so.  Also think sitting a vet is dangerous for the locker room environment.  Vets should know what they need to do and if they struggle, and it should be a matter of time before they right the ship.  PK is still young and being molded into an NHLer… He’s learning and this is just one of the lessons that he needs to go through.  Same reason why you might take your 5 year old kid and give him a timeout in the corner but you wouldn’t do it to an adult… even if they deserve it more sometimes.  🙂

58. punkster says:

Whine, complain, cry all you want. You’re not one of the most experienced NHL coaches in history. Of course, you know better. Of course you do.

59. punkster says:

Do you not see the difference between PK and those others you mention? Take a moment and think about it.

60. Wops says:

And montreal shows again why it sucks at developping players.

Lets admit, Pk is directly responsible for the tying goal, what a stupid dive. For the GWG, it wasnt the best decision Pk made but the puck rolled off cammalleri stuck, more bad luck IMO.

But to bench him because of two plays. I do not agree. How can a player who played 25:00 (is TOI against edmonton) be benched for the next game. He played almost half the game!

Moreover, we all knew he was a player who made risky plays. And this what makes him effective and what makes him the most exciting player in Montreal by a mile. This move will only restrain him. blocking what brought him to the nhl. Do we want him to be a Josh Gorges or a Spacek who flips the puck on the boards every time?

This is the worst healthy scratch in the elague since the Kovalchuk scratch. Let the kid develop, let him make mistakes.

Habs vs Devils are already boring games… for sure sitting subban will make it exciting…

And what, if Weber scores tonight on the PP? You sit PK for the next games?

Stupid move. And I dont agree with, “Its one game”. Its one game without our third best player…

61. byrneoNL says:

I agree PK was a goat last night. Out of many goats, he was the biggest.  Still, benching him I think only hurts his confidence and will make him a little too trepidatious next time out. No, I think maybe reducing his ice time a tad and making hunger to get those minutes back is a better idea. Weber is not better than Subban 99 periods out of 100.

In short: Don’t bench him. Coach him.

62. Natrous says:

Benching Gomez or Cammalleri sends a message to the team as a whole, because it removes a top-6 forward from the roster, but it doesn’t send the right message to PK.

PK needs to be a scratch so that he knows the feeling and does his best to avoid sitting in the press box again.

63. Rob D says:

I can only speak for Ottawa. Had my car broken into twice and stolen once (different car, different apt. locations) What I came away with was the police wanted to do the absolute minimum they could get away with in order to avoid paperwork. Period. Anyone who thinks they do a forensic of the crime scene for “minor” offenses like car stealing/break in are seriously delusional. It’s a bureacracy like any other. My interactions with them had me coming away with a deep cynicism.

And yes, Some citizens have more rights than others. I’m sorry about Mrs. Burns’ unfortunate loss of her husband and despise the low lifes who added to her pain. But if her name was Mrs. Brown she’d be filing a report and wondering if she should make a claim and what effect it would have on her car insurance. not watching a team of cops pulling a CSI and using their full investigative powers to find the thief or thieves.

64. longtimehabsfan says:

On the other hand, was really impressed with Taylor Hall.

65. longtimehabsfan says:

Exactly.  A lot of guys played lousy.  At one point in his own end all Gill had to do was pass it over to the opposite d-man but instead turned into traffic.

66. avatar_58 says:

I don’t think anyone is suggest he didn’t have a bad game and make some glaring mistakes, however why are the others allowed to? Why has Spacek not been benched? He’s been brutal lately. Gill had one of his worst last night, I saw 3 or 4 breakaways caused by his slow ass trying to pinch. (For that matter please stop shooting Gill, it takes you too long to snap back into position)

As long as Gomez isn’t benched or demoted why should anyone try harder? What’s the point? Sorry but that goal was NOT intentional. He said it himself, he was passing.

67. avatar_58 says:

You want to talk about why we lost in OT – personally I think bad pass or no, they played like garbage. What the hell was that constant spin – pass -spin -pass in our own end business? I don’t care how well Gomez, Cammy et al think they can pass, go up the damn ice and put it in the net. Playing around with it just causes a turnover, which it did – several times.

But hey, who am I to judge Martin’s 4-4 methods?

68. DearyLeary says:

i don’t understand the PK scratch.  I’m a little worried that this ongoing discussion about him being ‘cocky’ is actually getting to him.

You all know I love the kid, and have watched his game for 7 years. But he was on the ice for the last 3 goals against, and put himself out of position. He gave up the puck a lot more than normal.

He has a lot to learn and needs to have a little more patience with his own development. Yes sitting out is part of the learning curve.

70. nick says:

I was just reading the Gazette update on the robbery which occured on the night of the funeral. According to the Gazette “The police are on the case. They had their forensic people go over the car”.

I feel for the family, I really do, it’s awful.

With that said, for all those who have had their cars broken into, stuff stolen, regardless of the items – has anyone been told that their bringing forensic specialists to look for prints, etc? Just wanted to see if I was the only one?

71. Samovich says:

Quick to sit P.K , but Gomez gets a cart blanche? I know Gomez is a vet, but you can’t treat your young players like 2nd class citizens, bad move, but lets see what Weber can do…..

72. SeriousFan09 says:

That his position is called defencemen. He got off with being benched when his mistakes against TB contributed to the loss to that team but this time JM wants to send a stronger message.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

73. Matt_in_TO says:

I honestly don’t get scratching PK tonight.  WTF kind of message does that send to the kid?

– In Price We Trust

74. VancouverHab says:

[Clever headline, Mr. Boone.]

Please forgive me asking this quesion, but Scott Gomez scored the first goal and set up the second very well, and seemed to me to hustle all game.

Why today then rag on him and ask for his ice time to be reduced?

And, yes, I think this would be a great game to start Alex Auld.

75. smiler2729 says:

Benching PK Subban? Good for the actual player but bad for my hockey pool… whatever. New Jersey or Nashville North are too boring to watch.