Liveblog: Four in a row

329474

But man, it was not easy.
Ottawa came alive to dominate the third period.

But the Canadiens hung on to win 2-1.

And they’re finally at .500

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Jacques Martin | Craig Anderson | Chris Neil on new linemate | Kasper Daugavins | Paul MacLean

1. morivera says:

I predict Ottawa will not score and we will win.

2. habstrinifan says:

AK’s getting another.

3. Chorske says:

Habs need to learn to play 60 min.

4. habstrinifan says:

Team will respond…. dont worry!

5. Remi says:

Tide has totally turned….because Martin is probably telling the habs to play the trap and defend..

6. Mavid says:

I hate Neil and I would not like him on my team..he is a pug…

second place is just the first loser

7. Chorske says:

Bad icing. Pointless

8. habsfaninboston says:

Huge PK!

9. morivera says:

Need good penalty kill, now. Let’s go!

10. Habbu says:

Need to up the intensity level

11. Malreg says:

PK has to read that play better… He had no idea there was another player on the other side of the ice.

Our forward was backchecking hard on the Sens player, PK didn’t need to step up on him.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Subban made a great play if Cammalleri makes any attempt to get back.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

12. RGM says:

The proverbial “huge kill here.”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

13. Habso says:

Time for a pushback

14. Remi says:

JM will play the trap for the rest of the game. If the senators can score, the Habs are doomed.

15. ffenliv says:

I wonder what Senators’ owners and fans feel about being the only Canadian building that can’t even get a sellout when big-draw teams come in from out of town. There must be 6-7,000 Habs fans in there, and it still isn’t full.

In other news, that goal was one breakdown after another. Hopefully that’s an isolated incident.

16. habs178 says:

Whoever said the “S” word earlier….it’s your fault….

17. PrimeTime says:

WELL DONE. PK

18. morivera says:

PK is doing alright…only a few games into the season. Just ten days ago everybody wanted Martin fired and Price lost 4 or 5 games in a row . Price is fine, PK will be too. No worries here.

• habstrinifan says:

Martin wasnt fired but he got a real kick in the butt by PG. Dont underestimate that move.. not the move itself but the surrounding chat with JM and the new roles of the two Randys.

19. Habbu says:

Someone needs to tell Brunet….not a good idea to wipe your nose when cleaning the fireplace

20. Habzfan says:

What will JM do with Gomez when he’s ready? Hope he doesn’t mess with these lines.

21. Habso says:

Neil is one guy that I hate, but would love to have him on my team.

22. C-Sword says:

What are you thoughts on Alexei Emelin being a healthy scratch once again? Why not let Gill rest for a night or two? He can also replace Weber or Diaz, I really don’t want to see him leave the team just like that, we need a defenseman who can play physical.

• Habso says:

Gill has played great, very doubtful they sit him to play a rookie. For all those here bemoaning Yemelin in the press box, he’s a rookie, it’s part in parcel part of the deal when you’re a rookie. Sometimes you have to ride the pine and wait for your oppurtunity, be it an injury or a shakeup.

• Trisomy 21 says:

why weber? he’s arguably been the best on the D line. 5 pts and tied fr highest +/-. let him continue to improve.

23. Laramy87 says:

After listening to Denis Potvin for the first two periods of the game, he is a terrible homer announcer. Like i cannot believe it. That being said, who is worse that clown Jack Edwards or Denny Potvin for homer biased?

24. JohnBellyful says:

It might be heresy to say it, but the Habs took some pretty good checks that period to make the play — and then didn’t try to wreak revenge, like so many idiots do in today’s game. I liked that. The philosophy should be: Take it like a man, for gawd’s sake. The Habs did, they didn’t let the checks throw them off their game, and their reward was a 2-0 lead after two periods. It’s just nice to see a game played where there isn’t that kind of foolishness (as is seen so often in games with the Bruins).

25. Mavid says:

Not only is Potvin deeply in love with the Sens but he has the most annoying voice…like nails on a chalkboard…my hubby is a big Sens fan and even he thinks he is a goof….and no I don’t need announcers that have a “hard on” for the Habs…but these clowns are down right awful..every penalty called on the Sens are bad, and there so many not called on the other team…every hit on the opponent is a monster hit…every save by their goal is highlight reel….I am truly enjoying watching the game and not having to hear their drivel….

second place is just the first loser

26. Mick says:

Blues are up 2-1 ,Halak on the bench again.
    Brian Elliott 4-1-0 1 14 13 0.928 29:07
    Where are all the Price bashers???

The Habs are a team with speed and skill that has added some size and grit in Nokia, Blunden, Pacioretty and Cole. I would contend that those four are a serious upgrade over Halpern, Pyatt, Pouliot and Lapierre. But size and grit is not the theme of this comment. Speed and skill are.

The Habs, by playing an aggressive fore-check coupled with speed, vision and continuous movement are now forcing turn overs and intercepting passes and errant pucks. Add to this the ability to either cover up defensively or counter attack. Also, with a valid 4th line capable of being both defensively responsible and providing crash and bang energy with the added benefit of having a face-off winning centre gives the Habs 4 lines that are difficult to contend with. 3 scoring lines that are really playing defense and a defensive line that hurts the opponent, not the team they’re playing for.

This is not a team that can play hang back clog up the centre trapping hockey while skating backwards and never entering the offensive zone preferring to make a line change on a dump in. That team is a lottery team.

I am not saying that this a team that is all of a sudden a contender. They are not however playing firewagon offense, rather they are playing firewagon defense!!!! ;-)

28. novahab says:

PK is just find this kid is carring a lot on his shoulders. When Markov gets back he will relax and watch out.

29. Da Hema says:

Anyone still missing Scott Gomer Pyle?

30. novahab says:

Well well well maybe JM has been reading what I post on here. They are passing the puck. A skilled team has to pass the puck better than any other team and they will win.Now work on the face offs and get the PP going and this might be a cup contender. Price is starting to look like the best in the league.

31. habstrinifan says:

So many forwards are now benefitting from change in style.

Cole was gonna make his impact.. inevitably.. he is too big and strong and too much the veteran to be run over by any coaching treatment for ever.

But AK is blossoming. And DD. And of course Eller.

32. Hate to say it. But our boy Soobie is being haunted by the Sophomore slump.

Well he did start “slow” last season too. He’ll progress as the season goes, I guess.

33. jmsheehy19 says:

So if Eller is Hamlet, does that make AK Horatio?

34. naweed235 says:

As much as I love the kid, I think not only PK has not been good but he has been one of the worse D’s so far this season… He really needs to pick his game up… I think the stardom status that everybody gave him only after 1 complete season here has gotten to his head and he seems to always be going for the big play (he goes for a big hit, misses , outta position catches a penalty… Goes for a deke, gets picked and cots us a goal… amongst few other cases…)
    I am sure he will get back in it as the season progresses but so far, he’s been bad

35. ffenliv says:

Just saw the reply on the puck-throwing. That was pretty blatant. The only reason I can see for not calling it is an obstructed view of the ref who was watching the play. I’ve seen penalties called for a lot less.

Pretty funny to watch, though. He has a decent arm.

36. JD_ says:

Sens big mistake is they are tryin’ to play the Habs’ game. They simply don’t have the legs for it. Their transition picked up for a bit in the second, but it was transient. They have given the Habs’ D way too much room, tiltin’ the ice back towards their own net, and the Habs O is all over them in their own zone.

If they don’t start hittin’ the Habs D in the third and puttin’ more traffic in front of Price, it’s gonna be a rough period.

37. fun police says:

aside from calgary and pittsburg, we outplayed most teams. The habs look good.

38. habs178 says:

It’s just awesome to watch 4 lines with chemistry. And I’m totally loving the forecheck with at least two guys….makes a huge difference!

GO HABS GO!

39. topher5468 says:

Denny Potvin, great defenseman, awful announcer. That was interference.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I find Potvin’s good vs 27 teams, Awesome vs the leafs, because he hates them, but awful vs the Habs because he hates them too.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

40. WarHero says:

GO HABS GO!

GO HABS GO!

GO HABS GO!
    ——————————————————————
    My band: http://facebook.com/TheCollectiveOttawa

41. Habbu says:

Ooooooooo this is nice being back on the bandwagon.

42. habs72465 says:

Ottawa announcers cannot believe the interference call :)

Jeff

• ffenliv says:

How can you even debate that one? I’m a guy who really dislikes the ‘all the calls against my team are crap’ mentality, and even I thought that one was plain as day.

He made a bit of an attempt to stop, but that wasn’t a situation that called for a lot of speed, and no one moved him into price. He just plain landed on him.

43. Habso says:

Pricey’s a stud
    that is all.

44. ffenliv says:

Did Subban even break that guy’s stick? I know sticks broken on the slash are always called a penalty, but on the replay it looked like he only knocked it out of his hands. Subban gets 2 minutes because that guy has a weak grip?

45. habsfaninboston says:

Big PK kill

46. Rugger says:

Who was the sen that tried to take out AK’s knee after the goal?

47. JD_ says:

Holy generosity, Batman!

And Cole is on the Sens’ D like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

48. The Pickle says:

Those 2 are dynamite together

49. That Eller kid is pretty good, who’d we trade for him again?

______________________________
    Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

50. Mavid says:

i saw on the replay that the Sens player grabbed the puck and threw it…is that not illegal? I see someone here commented on it…the guys on TSN montreal never even talked about it at all…

second place is just the first loser

51. ffenliv says:

So, AK46 was knocked down after the goal. Since Patches’ tiny shove on Chara warranted nearly killing Pacioretty, does AK46 getting knocked down mean we should firebomb the Senators cars?

52. Habso says:

Sweet. that helped my hockey pool to. gotta love Eller, the kid just never quits.

53. Habbu says:

AK says “Thank you Lars”

54. punkster says:

All AK, all the time. Love the way he chased behind the net and forced it.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

I looooooooooooove this forechecking game.

56. Trisomy 21 says:

Eller you’re my boy!

57. ELLER!! AK46 WOOOOO

BELARUSSIAN BEAST ON LOOSE.

58. habsfaninboston says:

Sweet pass by Eller.

59. RGM says:

Great effort by all parties on that goal.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

60. JD_ says:

Attaboy!

Rewarded for workin’ hard. Cammy nicely picked that pocket.

For the record, Cole’s whiff was part of a set play.

Forecheck. Backcheck. Spacek.

62. habsfaninboston says:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Cole Baby!

63. Habso says:

sweet. I needed that for my hockey pool.

64. I DON’T MIND BEING WRONG!
    WOOO

ERIK COLE!!

Forecheck baby!!

66. punkster says:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

67. Mavid says:

Chris Neil is a moron he fits in very well on that team…Moen has pounded him before…he may need to do it again

second place is just the first loser

68. piter says:

seems to me Cole is getting frustrated

69. Mavid says:

i am watching it on TSN Montreal….I have been spared the torture of the Ottawa homers…they are indeed horrible…and extremly bias…there is bias and then there is Potvin, Brown, and their sidekicks I feel for you all…

second place is just the first loser

70. Chorske says:

So much for “run and gun”.

Next goal wins.

71. immortalhab says:

Know what I like? Desharnais.
    Know what I hate? Desharnais will never get the acclaim he deserves. Is it because he’s small? Also, is his job in jeopardy because he’s French Canadian? French players are not prized by the organization. Only coaches are allowed to be morons and be safe. I just knew Desharnais should have added “ov” to his last name. Then he’d get waited on hand and foot in Mtl.
    PS. They should use JM’s head for a piggy bank.

• ??
      This team gives equal opportunities to everyone. If you’re hinting back at Lapierre, Pouliot or Latendresse, those 3 got more than enough chances to redeem themselves. Same thing happened to Sergei Kostitsyn and Higgins and they’re not French.

Your post is irrelevant.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Who should we have prized? lapierre? come off it, AK is the common scape goat so spare me the accusations of bigotry. Additionally, I think DD is playing above his potential anyways, I think he’s getting the proper acclaim. And don’t forget he’s been up for less than a full season. I and many others can still be swayed. Don’t expect everyone to jump on the band wagon every time someone new puts on the sweater.
      Fantastic pass to Cole’s helmet on that 2 on 1.

72. JF says:

This is the kind of game we usually lose. We have most of the shots and most of the chances.

73. habs72465 says:

Having to watch sports net here in the states, Potvin’s disdain for the habs is a little over the top tonight.

Jeff

74. slamtherimtim says:

WOW the sportsnet is really all Ottawa , the color guy is brutal