Liveblog: Four in a row

329474

But man, it was not easy.
Ottawa came alive to dominate the third period.

But the Canadiens hung on to win 2-1.

And they’re finally at .500

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Jacques Martin | Craig Anderson | Chris Neil on new linemate | Kasper Daugavins | Paul MacLean

1. Chorske says:

LOVING the Habs’ forecheck

2. Need to pot one quick, cmon boys!

3. Hali_Hab says:

And chin strap beards

4. Chorske says:

Re: Brunet’s moustache

Movember is the great equalizer. Sure, I may have a hairy back, but my handlebar stache kicks your prepubescent peach fuzz’s ass.

Funny aside: this aft we were talking about funny typos. One colleague got a grant to study “ultraviolent” radiation. I had a student give a presentation about giant squids where she kept repeating that the only evidence of their existence was when giant testicles washed ashore (uh, dear, that’s TENTACLES), and the time I did a whole presentation on PUBIC (instead of public) health.

5. I really hope the Habs win this one. Still a long way to go before we consider this a successful stretch. We’re still 27th place overall.

6. Mick says:

is the game streamed in English?
    My French is not great.

7. Hali_Hab says:

I agree with hard habits this place should hire some one to work the door! It would seem there are a lot of popped collars In here now a days.

8. habs001 says:

Blunden and Darche may try but come on .. ..we are the montreal canadiens and 2 of these guys are part of 12 forwards…it is impossible that you cannot find 2 better players somewhere in hockey in the world…sick and tired of every year having 3-4 mediocre talent players on the team that could not make european club teams…

9. Barts says:

PK booed half-heartedly because the building is full of Habs fans.

10. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Dear Ottawa Senators,

You are an expansion team from the middle ’90s. You Bogarted a name and now are pretending to have throwback jereys?????

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• olematelot says:

The Senators were an original founding member of the NHL and played from 1917-1934 winning 11 Stanley Cups

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Then folded and re-appered mid 1990′s. Lame. Kind of like Tarana pretending they are the most popular team in Canada.

____________________________________________________
        They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

I don’t haunt this web site that much any more but I have noticed that the douche factor has risen considerably.

12. Spartan117 says:

Hey guys really desperate… where can i find a GOOD stream for tonights game?

13. JD_ says:

Sen glove closed on puck in the crease.

C’mon…that was blatant, man.

14. habsfaninboston says:

So grabbing the puck with your hand and throwing it is now legal?

15. JoeC says:

So Plecks and Weber get first shift, and Subban gets the left overs, yA THAT MAKES SENSE.

my hatred for JM is probally clouding my opinion, but hes terrible.

16. NLhabsfan says:

That’s a great line.

17. JoeC says:

Trade Emelin please, this guy is gonna go back to Russia if we dont and we lose him for nothing after 7 years of trying to get him over here becaues JM hates rookies

18. neumann103 says:

Oh great , the first cutaway to a Habs fan in the stands and he looks like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit

“Et le but!”

19. JoeC says:

But but i thought Diaz was perfect,,, where is Emelin !~

20. RGM says:

Subban has two SOG already. Combined distance? 150 feet.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

21. J.J. of Turku says:

Sweet, no delay with the Hockeystreams…

22. neumann103 says:

Waitaminnit!

Boone’s Blog post at “1P 17:20 Subban penalty…”

He used a naughty French word!

MODS! MODS! MODS!

Think of the CHILLLLLLLDRENNNNN!!!!

“Et le but!”

23. Rugger says:

OMG who designed those jerseys? The Ottawa Zero’s?

24. JD_ says:

Egad! RDS has brought out their freakin’ C-team, tonight.

Someone needs to tell Denis Gauthier that HD can sometimes mean High Dandruff.

Unless, of course, his $110 Tip Top special comes with spacklin’.

25. The Pickle says:

So Sean, you’re saying they’re gonna pull a Wisniewski?

26. Chorske says:

Boone: Komisarek is +8

27. Sean Bonjovi says:

Prediction: Karlsson + Kube will each be minus 4 by the end of the game!

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

28. Old Bald Bird says:

Thanks for the chuckle over the stache, Mike.

29. Maksimir says:

Boone – what’s with the glasses? You’re looking like a prof at McGill!

30. RGM says:

Don’t worry about the lack of ‘stache, Boon, it’s only the 4th. If it still looks like that on Remembrance Day, however, you may have to give up the ghost of the ‘stache that never was.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

31. Chorske says:

Boone: one of my favourite pre-game vids ever. The moustache thing is the male attractiveness equivalent of NHL parity. Because, and I am not naming names JERKSHIRE but some boys were never meant to grow mustaches.

32. RGM says:

Boone, good article on Price and his contract future. I have long maintained that that his selection in 2005 was a brilliant move. It brought to an end a decade-plus of enduring journeymen and wannabe saviours – Habs fans since 12/6/95 have been looking for a goalie that would take up the mantle so rudely forced out of Patrick Roy’s hands. Since the trade, the Habs have had 8 other goalies with at least 40GP and another 11 ‘tenders that have seen action. Stability has been sorely lacking, as has overall success. We thought for a short time it would have been Jose Theodore. We have been let down and jerked around at what has always been an organization strong point.

Carey Price means no more of that. This can be the guy that is the #1 goalie for the Habs for a decade. The team can build in front of him and go back down the path to glory and success. There is a strong core of players under the age of 25 that Price is the centrepiece of. If the organization is smart, it takes a really long, hard look at the cap situation for the future and makes sure that it can sign Price long-term.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

33. habzfan2003 says:

Any1 know where I can stream the game??? Help me fellow habs fans… you’re my only hope…!

34. The Pickle says:

Jaroslav Spacek gets a lot of flak from fans, especially from me for little while last year. But you know what? He’s a really likeable guy, he knows his limitations and he does what he can to help the team. I’m happy to see fans and media recognizing his current strong play. Ive turned a corner with Spacek, I might even want him to sign a 1 year deal next year to ease the transition on defence, certainly with Gill probably not returning.

35. oshawahabsfan says:

No penalties in the dumb or lazy category would be nice, Spezza and Gonchar are so dangerous on that PP right now

36. Habso says:

“the high-flying leafs”

You know in the fall, when the leaves are just starting to fall off the trees and sometimes they get caught up in a breeze and fly up high for awhile before they fall back down to the ground….
    there ya go

37. Denis Gauthier and Benoit Brunet… I guess I won’t be switching over to RDS until the last possible second.

______________________________
    Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

38. RGM says:

You use that word censorship. I think it does not mean what you think it means.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Chorske says:

I love it when bozos come on here and cry CENSORSHIP when their posts get canned. Because THEIR right to free speech compels The Gazette to publish their idiot viewpoints. Righht.

It’s amazing how many people think the internet is free. They are like kids, wandering around the world, playing in other peoples’ sandboxes, while thinking that there is a magic sandbox fairy that makes it all happen. Bottom line is, this sandbox belongs to Boone, Stubbs, Mio and ultimately the Gazette. They built the soapbox, but that doesn’t mean they are legally required to share that soapbox with morons.

39. waisguy says:

Stuck at work :(. Can someone post a link or two I could watch the game at? Thanks

40. immortalhab says:

When’s Gomez back? If he’s back tonight it’s like being ready to dazzle the ladies at the prom, then that pesky zit comes back to ruin your night.

41. habsfan1001 says:

Where is Gomez, how long is he supposed be out. Seems ike the press and the Habs don’t mention him anymore. Or something more sinister has happened to him .

42. Nina76 says:

Just a comment about TNS990……..I find that the ones anoucing the play by play are way behind the game……….very disturbing…………..I MISS CJAD they could really call a game & good interviews from the Habs fans………hardly any of that on TSN990……………Shame that they took the hockey off of CJAD………………….SAD!!!!!!SAD!!!!!

• awesomerino says:

Really? I found CJAD’s coverage of games to be utterly bland, and was bummed to see Sergio Momesso make the jump to 990.

• habstrinifan says:

Never able to pick up CJAD with any degeree of clarity and reliability, before Internet of course, so I was happy when TSN990 obtained the rights because I can find them on the dial more consistently in Ottawa. But I agree with you re the play by play.. not enough variabiltiy and nuance in cadence to inject excitement in the broadcast for the listener.

I always wondered why they did not get the guy who does the Bulldogs… he is amazing.

Maybe it’s money.

I notice today TSN990 were advertising Price and Momesso only for the call so maybe there is a planned change .. or maybe Bartlett is ill.

43. Jdub1985 says:

JM will play a defensive system since our strengths are obviously the unexperienced D men … especially against a run and gun offense … looking forward to the most boring game of hockey compliments of our clueless coach

44. oshawahabsfan says:

Well if you needed anymore proof that Konopka is useless I don’t know what to tell you

• Bugs says:

Yes, because whomsoever is sitting out during any game on any team is useless.
      That’s how that works.
      Who’s sitting out for the Habs tonight? Well, whoever it is is useless, right Oshie?

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• oshawahabsfan says:

Come on bugs, you’re better than that. Don’t tell me you thought Montreal should have signed him. The guys a complete plug, useful for games against a small handful of teams, that’s not money well spent, and definition of a pretty useless player

• ZepFan2 says:

“Zenon Konopka sits because the Senators expect a fast game”

Maybe, just maybe you missed it, right Bugs.

Breathe in…breathe out…

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

45. savethepuck says:

Where is everyone? Did H I/Oers loose interest in the Habs because of the layoff. Not used to it being this dead on here 1 hour before game time.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• db says:

There’s no more flow to the comments anymore… ever since the mobile apps allowed commenting it’s been getting more watered down. On the mobile apps one cannot reply, so we just see little tweet like posts.. although it’s not as dead as Alsinsideout.com

• RGM says:

Don’t worry, interest will tighten up closer to game time. It’s Friday night, it’s been a long layoff, people are still catching up on their PVR’ing. If the Habs play, we will be here.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Most “H I/Oers” lose interest when the team’s on a winning streak.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

46. JD_ says:

Daniel Alfredsson. A total of 101 points in 80 games against the Habs.

HabsKiller™, baby!

Get well soon.

47. Go Habs Go!

P.S.
    Get rid of GOMEZ! haha

48. youngwun says:

Go habsgo!

49. habaholic68NJ says:

What’s the line-up for tonight?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

50. slapshot777 says:

Hopefully the guys will come out strong to start the game and not rusty after having a week layoff.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

51. HabFanSince72 says:

No Konopka tonight!

What a shame. We won’t get to see what all the fuss was about.

52. Chorske says:

How is this censorship? Look up the definition. The fact that your post was deleted is not censorship.

53. WarHero says:

How in the hell can I fix my PIC? Can’t seem to find the option in the profile section.

My band: http://facebook.com/TheCollectiveOttawa

54. Chorske says:

What’s THIS? An opponent sits a bruising gritty player– to better counter the Habs’ lineup of fast, skilled forwards?

Music. To. My. Fecking. Ears. Suck it, grit heads. And long live fast, skilled hockey.

55. savethepuck says:

I think the run and gun Sens, who make a lot of mistakes, are tailor made for the Habs. We can play a smart defensive game and capitalize on their mistakes. Anderson is more than capable of winning a game by himself though and he has not done it yet this year. I hope his first isn’t against us. Habs a dog again on Atlantic Lotto pro-line, had to buy a ticket of course.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

56. DearyLeary says:

Pricey’s power moustache will set things straight in Movember.

57. Habso says:

If I wrote that, the diaper gang here would be so offended they would complain till I was banned.

58. shiram says:

The Rules
    Hockey Inside/Out encourages lively debate, but there is a zero-tolerance policy regarding racism, profanity and behaviour that we deem to be offensive.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Bripro says:

Those rules should apply in every day life anyhow. I think his female organ reference might have something to do with it.

• shiram says:

His last post had the F word, and while I don’t mind most profanities, you gotta respect the rules when using a service provided for you freely.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry but there was a post two days ago that was never deleted which bemoaned the fact that at some point in the near future 1/3 of the world would be muslim.

• shiram says:

I’m not a mod HFS72, I don’t even know if there’s a place to report posts.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Chorske says:

There was, but people were “reporting” any post that countered their viewpoint. Kinda defeated the purpose.

I think there should be a “report pie chart” button, to be clicked in the event that a poster uses actual data to support their argument, rather than (for example) a totally irrational hate-on for a Hab player. Instead of a thumbs up or down, there would be a little pie icon. MAKE IT HAPPEN BOONE

• shiram says:

That is why we cannot have nice things…

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Chorske says:

Yeah, totally. Agree 100% shiram.

Don’t look at me tho- I never abused the privilege. I miss the “report” button. Now we’re reduced to serially posting “Mods? Mods? MODS?” until a horrible post gets banned. Which I hate for two reasons. One, I despise an informer. Two, it’s like the kid tugging at mom’s pants going mommy?mommy?mommy?mommmy? over and over again.

59. Jordio-oh says:

Perhaps you should stop using offensive and unimaginative language.

60. shiram says:

Avery plays against MTL tomorow.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

61. Bripro says:

Let’s hope the money makers really pick it up tonight.
    I know Gionta gives his all, but he has to start putting them in the net a little more. A goal last game, granted. Now let’s see if he keeps it up.
    And I find Cammie seems to run out of gas a lot. I thought he was a physical fitness freak. It’s not showing so far.

62. Jordio-oh says:

4-2 Habs win.

Montreal goals from Kostitsyn, Darche, Cole and Subban.

Ottawa goals from Foligno and Greening.

Price goes 27 for 29. Anderson goes 31 for 35.

Montreal 1 for 4 on the power play (Subban) and doesn’t concede any shorties.

Senators for 0-3 on the pp.

Price mishandles the puck once and creates a commotion out front.

I get lightly boozed on Creemore with 6 of my buddies and take home $30 in bet winnings.

Boom.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

A series of acronyms to use when chatting on HIO:

64. WarHero says:

Anyone have an iphone they need to stream hockey on? I bought a browser app for $0.99 called Skyfire Web browser that is flash enabled. With that i can now stream games on my iphone …. life is grand!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!

65. habs001 says:

if a gm had to make up a team of 23 players from the present hab and leaf rosters it would be interesting to see what the breakdown of players would be…

• Pierrefabhab says:

Yeah the Leafs look decent for now, wait till the other teams bring their level up a notch or make the extra effort when they play the leafs. The season is long will see, anyways I am not a Leaf fan.
      Go Habs Go

Pierre

• habsrpast says:

next time habs play the leafs, leafs will be forced to play down to the habs.
        leafs will make the playoffs, while habs finish in 12th place.
        nice going PG.

66. kempie says:

“Carey Price will be going after his 103rd regular-season win, which would tie him with Georges Vézina on the Canadiens all-time list.”

Am I missing something here?

67. C_exacte says:

Waffles get soggy when it snows

68. Danno says:

Reverse the curse…

Zemog!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Kind of makes me thnk you should create an entry for Wikipedia, using the urban dictionary, but also reference that this reference has taken off since the arrival of Gomez in Montreal.

69. Say Ash says:

For anybody interested, here’s who the league leaders were roughly a year ago:

TSN.ca Nov 10, 2010
    (scroll down)

70. habstrinifan says:

Big game tonight! Imagine we are only in early November and some seeming ‘must win’ games already here.

Leafs wont stay as hot but I definitely think they WILL make the playoffs.

We cant let Ottawa get too far ahead either.

Teams like Boston who are struggling will come out of it.

So this HABS team has a lot of pressure on it already with the poor start. Need to get to 500 TONIGHT and at same time dampen Sens confidence.

No distractions .. forget Gomez for now … just go out an WIN least 2 out f next 3… starting with a WIN tonight!

GO HABS GO!

• ffenliv says:

I’m happy to see a variety of Canadian teams doing well (and am equally pleased to see the Bruins off to a less-than-stellar start). I really think Edmonton will finish in a playoff spot this year, and Toronto, but I don’t see Ottawa in there come April.

I think we’ll see:

Vancouver: 3rd
      Edmonthon: 7th
      Calgary: 9th

Toronto: 7th
      Montreal: 8th
      Ottawa :11th
      Winnipeg: 12th

Boston: relegated to 3rd-tier Finnish pro hockey. One can always hope!

71. J.J. of Turku says:

Habs win 5-2. GWG by Nokelainen. :D

• shiram says:

Yay free wings.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• JD_ says:

You left off the “zer-burned” there.

• shiram says:

Forgot my Cages au Sports coupons at home too.
          No free wings, in whichever conditions they might be.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• JD_ says:

Man, the thought of payin’ for that nightmarish swill.

Reminds me of that scene in Dirty Harry, when that primo bada$$ Scorpio, in an attempt to get Insp. Callahan in hot water with his bosses, pays some thug to beat the lights out of him, claimin’ it was Callahan who worked him over.

• shiram says:

Went once to Cages aux Sports, it was not good, but expensive for what it was.Never went again.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• JD_ says:

Yeah, I hear you.

There’s another chain around these here parts I feel the same way about. The only time I patronize it is durin’ this annual Habs fan get-together I attend.

On a positive note, that event is about the companionship and lively discussion, among other things, and the food becomes quite secondary.

These are, by the way, good things to complain about and yet another sign of our fortunate lot in life.

• Chorske says:

Love you boys. We are fortunate indeed.

72. thbrothers11 says:

Really looking forward to watch Eller tonight. I think this guy is going to be a solid second line center for a long time to come. No what to do with that pesky Gomez?

73. SPATS says:

Could not agree more about the parity leading to no gimmies. There just isn’t that big a gap between first and last anymore. The veteran teams play tentatively and the young teams play fearless. Meet ya in the middle.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• ffenliv says:

It’s not just that – a lot of the gap is eaten up with the 3-point games. A fair number of games go to OT/shootout, and, assuming that the ‘better’ team will, on average, win the majority of those, the losers are still getting points. I

74. RGM says:

Hooray a hockey game! Will be nice to see these guys again, it’s been a while with the ridiculous layoff.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

75. savethepuck says:

According to Mr. Boone 7:40ish

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

76. Chorske says:

By the time they trade him he was pretty much done.

77. Chorske says:

Oh for sure. 100% agreed.

78. Tharsis says:

But this incarnation of the senators has absolutely no ties to that team. It is a completely different franchise.

If the jets had won a cup before they moved, could the new jets lay claim to that cup?
    ———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

79. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

It’s like us wearing Maroon’s jerseys for a couple home games. Just a cheap ploy to sell more sweaters at the Boutique.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

80. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Ha! The Thrasher’s should have claimed some of the Flames ’89 cup, they might still be there if they could of sold some of that history to the Atlanta “hockey fans”.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

I don’t want to name names. I just read some comments that gave me douche chills that’s all.

82. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

You’re right though, they have as much history as we do in the last 20 years.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

83. Chorske says:

I can’t even imagine. I love my students. Their energy takes years off me. I’ll bitch about them sometimes but it’s amazing how the teaching high stays with you some days.

84. I call.. wait for it – AK46.

85. Habso says:

I call Patches..

86. Chorske says:

I am trying to find ways to get past marking. Students and Deans expect it, but every study ever done shows that grading does not help learning. I try to do things like assign group work and structure some lectures along the principles of 5E. But its hard because the students keep asking, how is this being graded? How is this being graded? Instead of thinking about how much they are learning, they are obsessing about grades. It can be frustrating.

87. Malreg says:

Unfortunately it’s not something new. Pretty sure he led the league last season in minor penalties.

88. DrunkenKeith says:

Bound to take a couple when your out there for the better part of 24 minutes per game.

89. morivera says:

Potvin would say AK’s stick is interfeering with Kuba.

90. morivera says:

And with a huge smile of his face too,

Very astute comment. And I laughed as well.

92. punkster says:

Yes, coaching them to another win. Horrible.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

93. The Pickle says:

No sir

Proud supporter of the 2011-2012 Fail For Nail

The two are mutually exclusive. Horrible coaches have wins, just as great coaches have losses.

95. Chorske says:

Yes, sure, but dontcha know that the Habs ain’t supposed to do “ugly”?

96. punkster says:

Well then there’s just no countering the JM sucks argument then, eh?

Pffft.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Of course there could be a countering… but it would elude you.