Canadiens spoil Jets party

Spacek-hit

Not exactly a warm welcome back to the NHL.
Down two starters, the Canadiens romp to a 5-1 win.
Three unanswered goals in the third period broke a tight game open.

After losing Jaro Spacek and Mike Cammalleri in the first period, the undermanned Canadiens rallied with opportunistic scoring.

Every goal was a highlight reel job, including a Travis Moen breakaway.

Before he got hurt, Cammalleri scored the Canadiens’ first goal of the season.

First PP goal was a Yannick Weber laser.

Carey Price made 30 saves. Don Cherry called him the best goaltender in the world … and he coached Gilles Gilbert.

And the PK pitched another shutout … including a 5-on-3.

1,071 Comments

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

Some people are never happy.

Go Habs!

3. chemic says:

sry have to be at bit cruel but i do like those injurys of Spacek and Campoli a little because now Martin has no choice to do his “nonsens” and he needs to start emelin, weber and co. where they belong.

4. immortalhab says:

I believe Michael Scott’s character from the office was based on Jackie Martin.

5. immortalhab says:

Chris F do I ever agree!!

6. Chris F says:

A win! Awesome, but again we were physically over matched.
    Spacek, he simply can’t get it done physically anymore. He was good in Buffalo four years ago, and in Edmonton. Not now, I believe Weber is the much better option.
    I’m happy Emelin has gotten a chance. The injuries have given him a chance, and I think he’s sorely needed, he’s young, has some size, and can push back. I like it.
    We have zero forecheck. We score by creating turnovers with our speed, against a D like the jets, this can work.
    Price is awesome.
    Gionta gets pummelled, and nobody on the ice is able to stick up for him. I read a comment from someone saying the best way to make a team pay is to score on the powerplay, yes, but what happens when our entire team to too beat up to play. Our captain, who is 5’7″, should not get drilled without some kind of pay back. This would not happen on any other team.
    Hope Cammy is back soon. That shot was off the charts.
    What the hell happened with Betts? Brutal.
    Now you can see Burke at every game televised, sickening. I guess he’s trying to get Evander Kane for a fourth rounder.
    Subban should not have to fight or be any form of enforcer, our D needs help, we need just one friggin guy who can get people OUT OF THE DAMN CREASE!!!!

7. Sean Bonjovi says:

That Travis Moen goal is the the only thing that mattered in tonight’s game. That goal deserves a ten minute youtube video and a commemorative ceremony every year on it’s anniversary.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    – Sean Bonjovi

8. Neutral says:

why is everyone so concerned about Betts. The only thing he has going for him is size other than that he’s another 4th liner. another scorer would be our best move but I don’t see any to be had.

• Trisomy 21 says:

He would be a great alternative to have as a fourth line center who can be great on the PK. With the dsplay of Moen’s silky paws tonight, it makes Betts look like a less viable alternative.

• theflower says:

faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs and one thing we don’t have size! This guys wins more draws than Steckel and is twice the player and a guy who has size and can win draws in all situations, gives us possession and since in the words of jackie martin we are a possession team, this is something we need, since we aren’t willing to give up some first rounders to get an actual first line center and keep scott gomez. I wonder how long it will be until we pull a Wade Redden and send gomez to the Hammer.

9. G-Man says:

And the season’s first Boone reverse-jinx works like a charm, soothing all the naysayers off the HIO site, save the grit and sanders.
    Good individual efforts for goals. It’s a shame Gio didn’t plant that open netter.
    Price was solid as a rock, but needs to be a little more Billy Smith. Until then, the bodies will continue to be piled upon him.
    Next!

• HardHabits says:

For what it’s worth G-Man the Habs responded well when the Jets laid the body on them. They’ll need to bury their chances, keep their heads up and play a smart physical game to survive another 80 games unscathed though.

Spacek’s injury was tonight’s silver lining on the dark cloud of more injuries as it gave Diaz, Emelin and Weber a chance to shine.

It’s all over the message boards and even Boone concurs. There is a physicality element on the club that needs addressing, and I am not talking goon or enforcer.

Emelin was excellent in this regard.

I will credit the smaller Habs with tenacity and intelligence out there and that will serve them well if they can continue to play that way for 60 minutes a game moving forward. IMO they still need some heavy hitting in support.

Many posters here agree, that the Habs need to make more moves in this direction of adding a physical dimension to their roster and game. It can be done without sacrificing the speed and skill game and as can scoring more goals be achieved while maintaining a solid and efficient defensive posture.

10. Chuck says:

No Pacioretty love tonight? He scores in his first game back after having his neck broken!

11. mrhabby says:

nice bounce back win for the habs. habs get outshot but price plays big. An experienced team wins big….thats all that matters.

this injury bug is unreal..christ.

I thought the team played very hard, played smart and showed they are a bunch of pros. That bldg was crazy and the composure Price and the rest of them played with was impressive. Emelin looked fine for his 1st ever NHL game, weber stepped up his play also. Funny how this team responds too adversity.

We cannot affordbto have Cammy out long term, that 1st goal was HUGE!

Would like to see more physicality from Cole and MaxPac

13. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I;m just wondering if betts was “actually” hurt, or if he didnt like some player on the team or the city itself, its weird, but I tried to look for an interivew with him since the trade and there is nothing, could he have been pissed montreal picked him, and refused to play, and montreal just made a cover up by saying he didnt pass a pshyical?

I was looking forward to having him, guess enquivst is impressing JM

• Habifax says:

don’t think most of what you say is possible. if your picked up you belong to that team not your choice. Also this will now cause cap/roster issues in philly. I posted an article on this earlier. But I do agree there was something smelly about it.

14. theflower says:

Here on the lovely island of Ibiza, I must say it’s great to get some hockey and see the Habs roll out the first W of the season. I am wondering however how this mgmt team and Jackie Martin keep their jobs. Today Betts was sent back to Philly. I mean these guys have scouts and scouting reports don’t they know these things. Now we are short of D-Men and we pick up Wowyikta just to lose him? Then we go get a minor leaguer D. I mean some of these decisions are very bush league. Let’s not forget the money we gave to Markov for 2 years and the guys is not even skating at the moment. How does this just happen to be the situation. Yes he had some swelling, but when I guy is coming back on rehab and in camp, don’t you get the best people to evaluate him to make sure you can even send him out to skate? Beyond me to understand. Our cornerstone of defence may not even play anytime soon and no plans were even put in place, its not like you can have too many d-men. Not to mention, no effort to make any deals to get any. Yet we give away Wiz and Hammer. I know why all this happened, because of cap etc, but there has to be some method to the madness of where we are going and under what leader. We lose Muller as a coach, we lose Boucher even worse and we are stuck with the incapable of winning anything outside of regular season Jackie Martin. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Habs and injuries and all the boys played with so much heart and were awesome! but heart alone and Carey keeping us in games is not a road to the Stanley Cup. Go Habs Go! Oh by the way there is a beach here on the island called Cala Carbo!!! I have yet to go there, but when I do, I will take pictures of the sign and the beach for all the Habbies out there!!!

15. tbovs says:

Ok im confused….is the sky still falling or no?????

Is the end of the world still happening ….. do i need to cancel my curse of scabbies on JM.

All in all a good effort … Pricey almost looked bored. Emelin played solid and was great down low. Diaz was good and really the team was good all around. Now lets build and move on.

16. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

why dosnt gorges get an assist on the pachioretti goal? he got gyped!

17. Habifax says:

Looks like a good schedule until the end of the month. We will find out a lot more about this team by then.

18. Everlasting1 says:

Worse call by a ref yet..that interference penalty on Byfuglien, sure deflated any momentum the Jets had going. The fans will be forever pi$$ed lol

——————————————————————-
    When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

19. --Habs-- says:

What are they a bunch of communists at TSN with all the censorship! Man that network sucks! On ESPN you can say what you want. You just can curse! I guess TSN doesn’t believe in free speech!

20. JIMVINNY says:

@HH; pleks highstick was a follow through on a dump-in. So the non-call was correct.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t think so JV. The CBC announcers were also wondering how the 4 officials missed it. I don’t have it taped and would like to watch it again to be conclusive but it looked like a blatant penalty when it happened.

Either way the reffing was awful. Gionta’s stick was held for a long time with no penalty and the Byfuglien interference call that gave the Weber goal was iffy to say the least.

It was a good win nevertheless and recently in the past the Habs have gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to questionable calls so it’s nice to see the tables turned for a change. The good thing is the Habs didn’t fold after the Jets came to life after the Antropov goal and made them pay when they had the man advantage.

Hopefully the flood gates remain open.

21. Sal says:

What is it with players getting cuts in unusual places? Cripes!! Injuries is the one thing that concerned me pre-season. Hope this is it. Can’t afford a slow start in this league!

Sal from the Hammer

22. Neutral says:

I’m glad the Habs won, the jets were awful. The Bulldogs could have beat them…

23. habaholic68NJ says:

I have a business trip to MTL this week and I am looking for 2 tickets to the home opener. Any ideas where I can get them?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

24. --Habs-- says:

Good game for the Habs considering they had only 3 NHL D with more than 2 games experience!

25. adamkennelly says:

great win, great shots but please don’t act like we played a great game…didn’t even really play a good game…took advantage a ton of unforced errors…Gomez as usual looked like crap..Cole is not impressing anyone – his best pass was to the other team and our D is too small…Price looked like he did before Rollie got to him…tall, poised, effortlessly sharp.

• Miltie01 says:

some folks are so hard to please……………we always seem to find a way to win, regardless of the circumstances

• dhenry1234 says:

I disagree and somewhat agree on a few of your points.

I’d say we played pretty great considering we didn’t give up many odd man rushes. Shows some excellent play in the neutral zone.

Plek and Moen’s goals were the result of forced errors.

Gomez’s best pass was right on Gio’s stick on the PP in the first period in which Gio failed to capitalize.

Cole. Imo he’s an upgrade over Pouliot but I think he’s going to need a few more games to jell with the team and get some more on ice chemistry.

I don’t know how the D’s size will affect us in the future but I saw Weber win some excellent puck battles in the defensive end. Not once did I think to myself “This D is too small” during this game.

Price…amazing and give’s this team some confidence on defense.

Only sad note is the loss of cammy and Spacek. Hoping that they come back real soon. Until then, it’s time for someone to step up.

26. GUNKA DIN says:

Cherry might have been correct about Price being the world’s best goalie, but that was an accident. What does that oooold turkey know about modern hockey?
    bupkes.
    He was just sucking up.

see my blog at http://noroomatthedump.blogspot.com/

27. Miltie01 says:

engqvist was 67% in the faceoff circle…….

70 % in the defensive zone !!!!

• Habifax says:

I’m not getting carried away. Only played 7 minutes. Yes I will credit him on the draws. Most were on PK and were important. But he is slow and only here until Eller or White get back. If Betts was as promised 63 would be a Bulldog now. Should be a good AHLer. Maybe a NHLer some day. Needs to improve foot speed. Especially on team smurf.

• Miltie01 says:

I actually thought he stood up pretty good tonight…….playing 7 decent minutes, mostly on the pk, and winning the majority of his faceoffs is what they are asking from him……and was what they were going to be asking Betts if he had stuck around by the way.

• Habifax says:

I was hoping that Betts could take some pressure/ice time from Plexs. As a experienced PKer in the league. Too bad. I think Plexs is asked to do way too much.

• Miltie01 says:

It would be nice to give that guy a break……but maybe he thrives on it too ??? Pleks is a player 29 other teams would add to their roster if they could.

• Number31 says:

His job is penalty kill. He won’t wow anyone. He’ll do his job quietly. He did his job well today.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Great game by the Habs. They have a knack of performing well in pressure situations.

Hopefully the injury to Cammalleri isn’t too serious. I’m not a doctor but I think it’s better to get cut in the area he did rather than the back of the leg, knee or ankle?

Moen played well tonight and I think once players return from injury that Moen, White and Betts could make a formidable 4th line that could score their share of goals too.

And I felt bad for Gomez and Gionta tonight because I thought they deserved better after Gomez put the puck on a silver platter for Gionta on several occasions and Gionta failed to score.

I’m not overly concerned with the loss of Spacek for any period of time because I feel that Weber, Diaz or Yemelin are just as good.

Diaz and Yemelin need ice time to improve and I’d rather see them in there instead of Spacek. Once they find their way they will be more of an asset than the slowing 37-year-old Spacek.

Good game and it looks as Cole is taking a bit of time to adapt to his new surroundings but I’m sure he’ll get there.

GO HABS GO!

29. cojohnso80 says:

I am tired of hearing about how great the fans in Winnipeg are. The Bell Centre is like that EVERY game. When the Jets are on foreign ice lets see how many “Go Jets Go” you hear. Habs fans equal almost every host team in the league when they are on the road. The Habs are the most popular team on the planet and the fans are not touched in the passion department.

30. CanadienBoy says:

Glad for the win,unhappy about injurys ,glad for Weber to come true and shown Martin why he should be on the power play and unhappy about ours total lack of fore checking

31. Jordio-oh says:

Good call by Timo and the rest of the broken record losers who suggested that the Canadiens would get pummeled.

In all honesty, we have one of the best goaltenders in the league. I truly believe he’s Top 3.

That’s a very good thing to have.

32. dre1744 says:

Its been a fairy tale story for the Winnepeg Mosquitoes since the summer…. But today they stepped into reality and got there asses handed to em by the Habs in there home coming game!!!!!!!!

33. youngwun says:

Carey price trending on twitter….Glad we got the best goalie in the league!

34. DLN-CH4Life says:

Now who’s got predictions of why Burke was there?

-DLN

35. Hab-Q says:

Any thoughts on Emelin?

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

~Rodney Dangerfield

36. WindsorHab-10 says:

Headline should read: Canadiens spoil Boone’s party. Right Mike?
    The boys played a solid game despite losing Cammalleri. I hope his injury is not serious. This sucks, 2 games played & 3 players lost. I was impressed with Emelin’s play. I thought he handled the game pretty well. Bring on the Flamers.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

37. Chuck says:

The Hab win aside, it sure feels good to have another Canadian team in the league. How long until Quebec, and hopefully, Hamilton? Gary, you were there tonight… but were you listening?

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Hamilton will not get a NHL team. Toronto already pleaded their case with league telling them that If Hamilton gets a pro hockey team, they want one too.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

38. Adam says:

Glad to have the win, but I hope the Jets win their next game. Hard to hate a new Canadian team, or wish them ill.
    I, for one, am still optimistic about this team and this season. Let’s hope Cammy is back soon, as well as Spacek, Eller, White, Campoli, and of course, Markov. This team has a lot of character, and a way of fighting back against bad odds.

39. jo_maka says:

Did I hear that right ???

”No better goaltender in the world right now than Carey Price”- Don Cherry

Did that happen ?
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Maybe he’s drinking some kool-aid before the show. :P

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Nina76 says:

did Cherry really say that about Carey????????? I did not hear that .Good game guys…………..I BELIEVE…………… Classy fans in Winnipeg…………no use calling Price’s name that does not fizz on him too calm…….Carey should have had first star..CBC,………….so help me they are nuts

40. Habifax says:

Ok time to change my vote in the poll. NOT!

41. JD_ says:

Great fans in a real hockey city.

Tough way to start out, but I won’t complain.

42. dhenry1234 says:

So let me get this band wagon rolling with some comments

FIRE JM AND GUATHIER!
    HABS CAN’T SCORE!
    GOMEZ IS WORTHLESS!
    lmao great game. I called 4-1 habs but I’m glad max pac could make me wrong.
    Can’t wait until thursday when Montreal makes winnipeg’s crowd look like Atlanta!

GO HABS GO

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

…3 Stars, as usual, inexplicable
    …HOW ? Carey Price was not 1st Star …God only knows

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Danno says:

Price, Plecks and Cammalleri were three stars on RDS

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• R U Kidding me!!! Carey Price not games 1st star? Typical CBC and HNIC. Go figure. Go Habs Go!!!!

• slapshot777 says:

How did Antropov get the third star is beyond me.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• dhenry1234 says:

If I were to pick the three stars I’d go with
      1: Plekanec
      2: Price
      3: Weber

• neumann103 says:

I picked Carey Price first overall in my hockey pool so i feel the love, but I guess I will say this for the first of many times I will repeat this season.

Tomas Plekanec does everything. He is Superman in a turtleneck.

A GWG essentially short handed (2 seconds after), 2 Assists, +3, over 22 minutes, 57% in the faceoff circle (and taking all the critical tough draws). Dominant in every situation.

Much as I love Carey Price I find it hard to take away the premiere etoile from Plekanec.

“Et le but!”

44. Hab-Q says:

Olay-Olay-Olay-Olay and I don’t mean Oil of

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

~Rodney Dangerfield

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Think I found a new favourite away game for the Habs, MTS is a rockin’ arena. Bet Atlanta was never that loud when Kovalchuk scored a hat trick.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• neumann103 says:

By its description as really vertical I want to see it. All of these modern NHL clone arenas are too gentle in their rake. I want to be right on top of the action.

“Et le but!”

46. TOEmastro says:

Darche gave Price the finger… HAHAHA

Olé, olé, olé oleé

47. LL says:

Welcome back Jets. Eff you. ;)

48. Marc10 says:

Welcome back Winnipeg.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

49. Tharsis says:

sweeeeeet

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

50. Toe Blake says:

Great night for the game. Hockey back in the ‘peg. Habs won and the Jets got a goal. It is all good!!!

The good news for the Jets fans is their team gets beat on their inaugural game by the most storied franchise in the NHL.

And the Boone reverse jinx is in full force!!!

52. savethepuck says:

Classy standing O by those fans

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

53. NLhabsfan says:

Nice of them to cheer for us:)

54. Habifax says:

I think the Jet got a Thrasher sucked into the engine

55. Sal says:

Goal tending clinic by CP

Sal from the Hammer

56. TOEmastro says:

Great fans in the ‘peg

Olé, olé, olé oleé

57. Toe Blake says:

Diaz is a euro-goon!

58. Habifax says:

No more injuries!!!

59. durocher says:

Garbage call, MacLean trapped his head and fell down

60. holypricehabsman says:

This is patches second game

61. Habifax says:

These smurfs are party poopers!

BIG BUFF!!!! they were pumping him up all night and then they turned on him after he was caught up the 20th time. Simple CBC announce team.

62. NLhabsfan says:

Oh now they weren’t supposed to win… CBC beyond cheering.

63. Jbird says:

It is so fitting that Winnipeg sucks. I love the city and went to school there. What did anyone expect! Awesome Sunday hockey.

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Boonze wrote a column saying He hoped the Jets would win this game (I didn’t believe He meant it) …BUT, winning this game is more important for Our Habs than it is for the Jets
    …great, great fortitude exhibited by Our Habs today

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

65. Psycho29 says:

Claude Noel is a useless coach! Kevin Cheveldayoff is a terrible GM…..FIRE THEM BOTH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

66. RGM says:

7 months ago, Max Pacioretty was in the hospital with a broken neck. Tonight he scores a goal in his first game back. How is that not the most inspirational thing we’ll hear in hockey tonight?
    *Edit* Whoops, second game. Let’s all pretend the first one never happened. LOL
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

67. LL says:

HabFab, I’m starting on the lemon sauce. :)

Interesting how the rest of my Wpg relatives in Ontario have said I am no longer welcome at Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, perhaps when my wife and I show up in Habs jerseys they will feel better about it!

69. Marc10 says:

Ah Cole! B-r-u-t-a-l…

That had pass written all over it.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol