Liveblog: Cammalleri to Calgary

bourque
Mike Cammalleri was intercepted in the tunnel on his way to the ice for the third period.
He was sent back to the room to talk to Pierre Gauthier.
The upshot: A trade to Calgary (where Cammalleri has played before) for René Bourque.

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier | Carey Price I and II

Morning skate AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Hal Gill | Claude Julien | Patrice Bergeron (on Marc Savard)

The Canadiens battled the Bruins for 60 minutes.

And maybe the best is yet to come.

Though not necessarily this season.

1,085 Comments

1. BKAK72 says:

BOURQUE @ 6’2″ / 211 lbs & $3.3MM
    2009-2011 67 goals

CAMMI @ 5’9″ / 190 lbs & $6MM
    2009-2011 54 goals

That’s money for PRICE and one less midget!

VERY VERY VERY HAPPY!!!!

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

2. deuce6 says:

Paul Bissonnette @BizNasty2point0

Quiet night in the NHL
    _______________________

lol..That guy cracks me up..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

3. CanadienBoy says:

Bergeron say it best new players a breath of fresh air

4. habs001 says:

Reality is that the core of this team is just not good enough..more trades to come…if this game is replayed 100 times habs still score only 1 goal in more than half of those games…while we cannot blame price if the same game played but goalies reversed we win 2-0

• NCRhabsfan says:

Horsepoopy to that. Even Thomas gets fooled by a stanchion from time to time and I don’t think he stops the Lucic goal scored by his own guy. Switch Thomas and Price and the final score is EXACTLY the same!!!

5. LA Loyalist says:

Feaster is quoted as saying the deal had been in the works, but got stalled when Bourque was suspended, he was going to wait until the weekend (when the suspension ends) to talk to PG again, but obviously Cammi’s comments yesterday pushed PG into pulling the trigger.

I don’t know if PG talked to anyone else, but I guarantee you Kings would have been quite interested.

Also, Bourque is Metis, and does not speak much French (do I care? No).

At least we didn’t get another midget. G*d help us, every one.

• PeterStone says:

Kings had him, and according to Vinnie Damphousse ( a day or 2 ago ) they traded him because he was selfish. Having said that, i was hoping for a prospect and a 1st … and I still dont understand why the 2nd is in 2013

• Timo says:

The only GM who would give your 1st pick for Cammalleri is Bob Gainey. And he is (sadly) still employed by the Habs. I am relieved that we didn’t give up a 1st pick on Bobo’s advice in this trade.

• PeterStone says:

well, i was hoping at the deadline, create an auction for him and try to get that. As much as he didnt exactly bring it this season, he had 2 great playoffs for us, and for a team hoping to make a run, he’s a pretty good alternative.

Dont get me going on BG .. he’s been the biggest disappointment and the worst GM ( officially worse than Houle now ) in Habs history. Only GMs worse are DMaclean in Columbus and the tool, Milbury.

6. aj says:

Gauthier’s interview w/c was aired in both languages by RDS and TSN really shows how BAD he manages this team.

Bob Mckenzie said it right! Gauthier’s statement is totally misconstrued by saying “he’s making a trade in the works since early December”. Mckenzie said ‘it strains his level credulity!’

That being and and all else that happened, from the firing of Coaches, to the acquistions to the Trades: The Current Manager of the Montreal Canadiens – Pierre Gauthier MUST be fired!!!

7. Propwash says:

Wait a sec….People are mentioning Halak…Wasn’t it Halak’s negotiation rights that was traded?

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

8. Rainrocket16 says:

I will miss you Cammy!! Thanks for your dedication to the CH!!! Welcome Rene Bourque, may you continue to be a fearsome presence while wearing the royal colors!

I just got in having watched the game at a friend’s place. Two bad luck goals; a wierd bounce off the boards on a shoot in and a weak back hand that was going wide that Gorges tipped in. One goal by PP specialist Weber was not enough.

Habs played a good game. Subban probably had his best game of the season in the robustesse department.

My friend and I noticed that Cammy was nowhere to be found in the 3rd well before the announcement that he was told to wait in the dressing room.

At first we speculated it could be an injury or that there was a between period incident, maybe a trade!?!?

When I heard it was Calgary I prayed it was not straight up for Inginla.

What can I say? I have to give credit where credit is due but I like this trade very much.

Rene Bourque at 6’2″ and 213 lbs
    Patrick Holland a very good prospect
    a 5th upgraded to a 2nd
    and close to 3 million in cap space liberated.

PG talked about getting bigger and scoring goals from the dirty areas as opposed to from the periphery.

Holy f*ck PG!!! Not bad for a vegan. Pass the coconut milk.

I gotta give props to Damphousse for being an articulate and astute commentator and for touting the HH Doctrine. I would so love him to be GM one day but for now PG has been given some leash to play with.

This trade is the type of trade that sits well with me. I think there is more in store to come too.

People here think I am only capable of criticism but as stated I laud what warrants it and I give this trade a solid thumbs up.

• Michael says:

You prayed it was NOT straight up for Iginla? What’s the matter with you?

• CanadienBoy says:

Good comment for change

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I am still smiling from this announcement.

• Just A Guy says:

Good post. I like the trade, not love it for the simple reason Cammy has some serious upside still and the Flames could easily repackage him at the deadline if he lights it up.. or so the opinion goes, I find it believable.

Too many people are calling this a bad trade simply because PG made it and given the strange moves the team has made this season, its hardly surprising that posters are seeing red.

• HardHabits says:

I like Cammy immensely. He’s articulate. He scored 13 goals in the play-offs during that remarkable run.

This is all about improving the team long-term IMHHO.

I would clear out Gomez, Gionta and Markov too if I could. The Habs need to rebuild and this is the first salvo. I didn’t like the Kaberle move and I still don’t like it but I have a feeling he can be traded as well as Markov should he return and also Gionta next season at or before the trade deadline.

I would hope Habs fans could see the potential of rebuilding the team over a few years via drafts and young prospects. Even if it means being outside the play-offs for a year or two.

I like this trade more about the 2nd, Patrick Holland and the freed up cap space but I also like the immediate impact of a 6’2″ player who likes to mix it up and can score goals.

• Timo says:

I think you’re being cynical with regard to coconut milk. So… does this play into or against The Tanking (TM)?

10. deuce6 says:

Jay Feaster has stated that he spoke with Cammy on the phone and Cammy is excited to come to Calgary and he also stated that Cammy always asked Eric Francis how the guys were doing…

Hmmmm..Kinda tells me a piece of him never left Calgary in the 1st place…If he didn’t want to be here, then so be it, but if you wanted out and just were here for the cash grab, then I lost all respect for him…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

11. glorydayspast says:

3 assists..nice

12. RiverviewCanadien says:

How was the Halak trade out of desperation with Price signed and Halak an RFA?

Why do people always think these types of moves are reactionary? Deals are placed on tables, but there does come a time when the trigger is pulled. Maybe Gauthier (Gainey) was holding out for Mike to pick up his game, and get a little more OUT of CGY, but he never did. So the trade was called.

I unequivocally believe this was in the works, and has Bob written all over it.

Great trade for both sides.

• glorydayspast says:

Price was still not signed when Halak was traded

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Ok so both were RFA. My bad,

• glorydayspast says:

Honestly, do you not think that you could have got more then Lars Eller for a goalie that took you to the Semi-Finals on his back and won a bronze medal (or close) in the Olympics?

Notwithstanding Lars potential, that trade was a complete joke.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Listen man, I was a huge Halak fan, but come on, that deal is so 80s right now.

The ‘squid’ was traded during a game. Get with the times man.

• LA Loyalist says:

… oh god, not to rehash this again, but if Halak had to go, it should have been at the trade deadline and for more than a prospect.

Eller is ok, but we’ve waited 2 years for him to mature…

Hahaha… from Calgary Herald.

“Wow, here we go again in Calgary. Adding veterans to try and make a playoff push only to fall short & i hope right on their faces.

Feaster is a total clown, spends more time at the local Burger King than actually around the hockey circles.

It’s quite obvious that the Flames’ owners are as stupid as anyone for allowing the same garbage to go on year after year.

Instead of trying to rebuild by trading their top assets, now Feaster is thinking playoffs – well it’s not going to happen whether you think it is or not Mr.Feaster.

What a joke!!”

14. Bill says:

A lot of hot-air being spewed by people who think this is a good trade, most of it being about the fact that Bourque has marginally outscored Cammalleri over the last two and half years. Irrelevant.

What’s relevant? How about which team got the better player? Because the answer to that is Calgary.

I don’t care if Bourque scored more goals than Cammaleri in the last two and a half years: who’s going to score more in the NEXT two and half years? Answer: not Bourque.

Bourque is a Hab now, and I welcome him personally, FWIW. I hope he brings something good to the team with his size and attitude. But I supported Cammalleri during his time here – right up until today – and I reserve the right to say that he’s a better player and will make this trade look bad.

Knee-jerk move. “In the works for a while”, yeah, I’m sure the news stories the last two days had nothing to do with it at all, sure.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Propwash says:

Cap relief and a 2nd round pick to boot.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Timo says:

Feel better now?

• deuce6 says:

Cammy will outscore, Bourque? yea, sure, maybe, but will it help Plex? Will it help guys like Gionta when he returns? You betcha…

Bourque is a Cole clone..He has great wheels and a great shot..Not to mention, he is much bigger..Cammy is a perimeter player and when he isn’t scoring, was a liability..Bourque can contribute in both ends of the rink…

There is soooo much more to the game than potting goals, which Cammy wasn’t doing..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• CanadienBoy says:

Bill Bill Bill beside the playoff what did Cammy do ? Wake up men we got the better deal

• NCRhabsfan says:

Okay, so you’re a Cammy fan and you’re bummed out. I get that. The thing is, this trade probably works for both teams and no comparison between Cammy as a Flame Part II and Bourque as a Hab is going give a true picture of who “won” the trade.

The Habs needed to shake things up and Cammy was not playing well here. As a team they are too small to compete in the conference they’re in, and their best forward prospect is another tiny, feisty goal scorer. They needed to find some salary cap relief, and they needed to increase their prospect pool. Obviously the Flames needed to add a sniper and Cammy and Inginla have had chemistry in the past.

So the Habs got bigger, got a prospect, moved up in the draft and cleared some salary cap space and the Flames got what they hope is an immediate skill upgrade. Maybe both will end up with what they hoped for and maybe neither will. If Cammy plays as well for the Flames as he has for the Habs this year, this trade is a big loser for them. If Bourque doesn’t bring a physical presence, score his 20+ goals and both the prospect and the draft pick wash out, it’s a big loser for the Habs. But if it works out as both teams hope, it’s win-win.

But there is nothing “knee jerk” about it. You need to chill dude.

15. dre1744 says:

just be happy they didn’t get Matt Stajan!!!!!!! Thats what was scaring me when the trade to calgary broke!!!!

16. Hali_Hab says:

Man i have to stop reading some of the comments on this site, it really calls in to question the overall aptitude of our fan base. no… now that i think of it the word “mob” is more suitable.

Pathetic.. most of you sound like a bunch of leaf fan’s.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
    Guy Lafleur.

17. glorydayspast says:

Don’t believe for a second this trade was in the works for months. Why would Gauthier have been shopping Cammelleri two months ago?? And if he was, you would think he would have been shopping him for a defencemen to replace the injured Markov and not Rene Bourque. This was a bullshit PR move so people wouldn’t think PG had a knee jerk reaction to the Cammerlleri situation.

I didn’t like Cammelleri’s play this year..but damn, I don’t like desperation moves either. Just like Halak and just like Huet a few years back.

Its just not in the cards for us this season. Every aspect of this team and their game is in the stinkhole this year.

18. Kooch7800 says:

What the hell is wrong with the posters on this site?

Everyone bitches about our size, PG gets a bigger, grittier left winger and a second rounder and a prospect for a player who has been playing terrible since he got her. Cammy was great in the playoffs and that is about it.

If you think Cammy is worth more you are crazy. He has 8 goals this year….Moen has more

19. habsperspective says:

No Gomez, neither Markov, nor Gionta. Now no Cam.

But Rene Bourque makes this a better team. Really, who believes this other then PGs ego. I dont think it was Mikes that was the problem.

Maybe the problem lies with guys like Campoli, Diaz, Weber, and Gill.

This organization makes me puke, completly classless, removing a guy mid way through a game, for a trade that was supposedly in the works for over a month.

Somehow my soul wants out of this deal of being a Hab fan I was born into.

20. sims says:

cammy wasnt performing and should have kept his mouth shut. the gm gets some size and a bit of cap relief. whats the big deal? ya cammy may go on to be great but even with a coaching change in mtl he still sucked. they keep referring to him as a ‘dynamic player’ but i think he is the furthest thing from that. totally one dimensional. great shot but that is all

and those calling for pg’s head – i think his job is safe as the owner must be giving him the blessing to complete these trades no?

• habsperspective says:

No I just think his owner is smarter in making proactive choices, unlike Gauthier, and his knee jerk philosophy.

Molson will wait till theres a suitable suitor first.

• Kooch7800 says:

he is like a phil kessel without speed. completely one dimensional. I used to like cammy but have been watching him suck it up and after his comments yesterday… see ya. People bitching about this trade need to realize we have to build for the future and we are not cup contenders now

• Seps says:

He has the best shot, it’s just too bad NHL goalies have such quick chests ;)

21. ogilthorpe says:

Just checked…Mtl plays Calgary on march6 in Calgary … How many goals for camalleri.. Garrick maybe??? Firing coaches just before games, trading player DURING games… Who the he’ll is the real gauthier… Certainly not a hockey guy… When the H… is HE going to be fired.. During a GM conference perhaps????

22. JasonM says:

What did some fans think we could get for Cammalleri? Semin? A couple 1st rounders? Many people seem angry because of the sentimental value you’ve developed for Cammalleri since his stellar play in the playoffs, two years ago but he’s simply not that player anymore. He has no jump, doesn’t pay the price, doesn’t back check, gives up on plays…. need I go on? Truth be told, Bourque has produced more than Cammalleri in the past 3 years and is paid half the salary. That’s not right.

23. Habfan4lfe says:

ineptitude continues in Montreal management. This trade was not worth it. Montreal should have gotten more. Cammy is worth more than Bourque. I’m kinda happy for Cammy though cuz he’s going to a better team. Who’s next?

24. English is not a Crime says:

By the numbers over the past 2.5 seasons

Cammy and Bourque’s totals (without names first)
    170GP, 54G, 65A, 119Pts, 59PiM, +3, 42PPP, 521SoG
    191GP, 67G, 57A, 124Pts, 171PiM, -13, 33PPP, 524SoG

(The top set of numbers are Cammalleri, the bottom are Bourque by the way)

Now, same age basically 30-31
    Cammy is 5’9, 180 lbs
    Bourque is 6’2, 215 lbs

Cammy’s cap hit is 6M, and is owed 20M over the next 3 yrs
    Bourque’s cap hit is 3.3M, and is owed 3, 4, 4, 2.5, 2.5

Plus the Habs get the #9 scorer in the WHL and upgrade from their own 5th round pick to Calgary’s apparent high 2nd round pick.

• dallyd31 says:

No brainer. Some people however are still whining and moaning that we shouldn’t have traded him. These are probably the same people who called him a smurf and cried for him to be traded or demoted all season

Only in Montreal

• HabFanSince72 says:

You got me convinced. Calgary just got p3wnd.

• sims says:

i like!

ps. if cammy is 5’9 180 then im hulk hogan

• English is not a Crime says:

Wasn’t making judgement on the trade there by the way, simply putting the respective numbers in Cammy’s tenure here out there. Maybe Cammy’s name recognition is worth more than he’s been worth on the ice as Bourque’s outperformed him from that display (and for half the cost, which can be used to resign Price etc)

25. Propwash says:

@ Dorval, my reply was at HABSGUARDIANANGEL.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

26. SmartDog says:

What’s that Pierre? We need more SIZE?? Really? OMG, you are SOOOOO smart!

When is Molson going to put a stop to this lame duck GM. Gauthier is a joke. This is a knee jerk reaction. We’ve lost other good players from the same stupid attitude of sanitizing the locker room. Bourque might be okay but he sucks in the playoffs. He’s not a clutch guy.

Listening to Gauthier speak is like chalk on a blackboard to me… “well I think we know that we ….ssscccrreeeeeeeeeeecccchhh… and you understand that Mr. ….sssssscccccccrrrrreeeeeccccchhh!!…. and we hope that Mr. Markov… sssccccrrreeeeeeeeeccchhhh!!!…… it is obvious that we must try to win…..sscccrreeeeeeccchhhhhh!!!!”

Please get Gauthier out of here. Bring us a GM with a plan who already knows we need size, knows how to avoid bad contracts, and can sign players at a good rate and not the highest possible rate.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

27. JayBee says:

I’m not happy about the trade.

They should have built around Cammy instead of trading him. Cam will beast in Calgary and Hab fans will add him to the list of players we tossed aside who were “problems in the dressing room” only to play better with a new team.

This thing stinks and it makes me sick. Pathetic people are running this team. The Canadiens are NOT the Yankees of hockey, nor are they the Steelers or Lakers. None of those franchises would put up with this crap.

Habs = Cowboys of hockey.

28. Seps says:

I wouldn’t say this move means Gauthier’s trying to avoid a rebuild.
    1. We got a 2nd round pick for a 5th
    2. We cleared 3M in cap space
    3. We got a 30 year old player whose signed for 3 or 4 more years
    4. Rebuild doesn’t mean you play with an AHL team for 5 years until you get enough top 10 picks, you still want to remain somewhat competitive and have atleast size on your team so you dont get pushed around, and we got this.

Lets take a breather, with some of the comments on here I’m expecting people to whine when we get rid of gomer.

29. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

Think about how the Bruins and other teams were willing to pay up for Kaberle. A good GM will “shop” players to the highest bidder. A good GM waits until it gets close to the deadline and teams get desperate and are willing to pay up for short term gain……From Twiiter:

Pierre LeBrun via twitter: One GM said he wished he knew that Cammalleri was available, would have made an offer.

PG reacted to the what Cammy said, which frankly, was true. We are playing like losers, and the biggest of all is our GM.

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER.

• Hali_Hab says:

There is a HUGE difference in trading for an upcoming UFA or a guy that has 2 years left on his contract at 7 mill per.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
      Guy Lafleur.

• Chrisadiens says:

A few things to think about……

-Cammy had a limitied NTC. He could name 8 teams that he wouldn’t go too.

-PG did not want Cammy in the Eastern Conference.

That eliminates a lot of GMs from knowing…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

30. dallyd31 says:

I’ll say it once again for the complainers…

This is comical. Everyone whines and moans about how Cammy is overpaid, useless, small and doesn’t score. Then they trade him for a guy that is bigger, nastier, has scored more the last 2 years and at half the cap space. Now all of a sudden, it is a bad trade, we got ripped off and we could have at least got a 1st rounder for an angry dressing room problem who has scored 9 goals and has $6 Million cap hit.

Only in Montreal…wow.

We got a bigger player, more goals, well liked and $3 Million in cap space. Stop complaining. We’re lucky we got that.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

complaint is cammy was worth more. thats all. see jaroslav deal.

• dallyd31 says:

Really ? What do expect to get for a $6 million player who has 9 goals, and is a problem in the room

Take off the rose coloured glasses. We got bigger, nastier, more goals the last two seasons and less cap hit. AND a second round pick. What is the issue.

• Michael says:

You mean that Halak deal where PG traded a career backup goalie coming off a hot streak for our second-best centre? And I’d love to see what any other GM could have gotten for a tiny, soft, selfish winger who scores 1.5 goals for every $1 million he makes. The most saddening thing about this team has been, for years, its softness. We just got rid of our softest player and brought in our toughest. Those were both good trades.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree with you. There will hopefully be a penalty free buyout before the new CBA this summer where the Canadiens dump and rid themselves of Gomez.

If that doesn’t happen than they’ll either bite the bullet and buy him out and pay half is salary or bury him in Hamilton.

With the $3 million they save on Cammalleri and the $3-7 million they save when Gomez is gone they can bring in three more players.

• aj says:

Totally agree with you there dallyd31. Gauthier (even though he ‘might have’ lied in front of the cameras BOTH in English and in French) needed to adress a problem with the team. He responded what was needed and here we are.

What’s more worse, to continue Cammalleri do the kind of performance he’s doing night after night of non-production or the GM could fix the issue by making a trade by w/c YOU dissatisfied fans are eagerly asking for?

31. Badwich says:

The issue here isn’t language. It’s size and heart.

Camshaft has killed every line with his me, me, me only shoot play all year. Poor Pleks. I don’t know how he laced up knowing he was playing with the Camshaft.

One smurf down and at least two to go Mr Gainey. What were you thinking? Last I heard it was about bringing grit to our Habs. Did he ever get that wrong.

Before I left for the deepest heart of Africa some one posted that Eller had to get on the bus to Steel Town Ca. Let’s hope he wasn’t a scout.

Subban took on the Cretan tonight. That’s what heart (and elbow ) is all about. Hopefully we’ll see more of that. Heart that is. We lost but at least they weren’t playing 0-0-5 so popular with what’s his name??????

Taberwitt

32. twilighthours says:

Anytime we’ve ever played Calgary bourque has looked fantastic – just owned the game. In fact, every time I’ve ever seen him play he h been dominant.

I need to mull this deal over a bit more but my first reaction is yes, I like it a lot. About the only thing I don’t like is the duration of bourques deal.

Must think about it.

—————————————————————–

33. dallyd31 says:

Listening to MacLean and Kypreos…what a couple of clowns. Those two have no idea.

According to both of them, Cammy is an elite forward, a great team guy and Montreal absolutely got ripped off. They also said, basically Eller is a nobody and they got ripped off for Halak as well.
    What a bunch of fools…

34. 21272andme says:

Adieu, Michael Cammalleri

by The Upper Canadien on 01/12/12 at 10:34 PM ET
    Comments (2)

Initial thoughts? Terrible trade. Cammalleri was one of the few free agents in recent years to have a real desire to play in Montreal. He loved the pressure. He upped his game when it mattered. He also spoke his mind. Apparently, that got him traded.

I don’t believe Pierre Gauthier when he says these talks went on for a month. This happened quickly. It was a quick reaction. And it was a mistake.

Rene Bourque can’t skate anymore. He’s certainly not a sniper like Cammalleri. And he’s not an impact forward. This is a severe downgrade. Sure, Montreal saves some cap room – but they used that same cap room on Tomas Kaberle four weeks ago. This makes no sense.

To me, this reeks of desperation. It reeks of trying to placate a fan base upset with other issues. The French media made a mountain out of Cammalleri’s comments in the past 48 hours.

Cammalleri is a scapegoat. Plain and simple.

• JUST ME says:

Feister in Calgary also said it was in the works for a while so your theory is as good as your knowledge.Compare Bourque and Cammy`s stats for the last 3 years and come back with something a little more serious…

• alfieturcotte says:

Well said. I cannot believe PG would trade Cammy at this time, horrible timing and clearly impulsive move. Same impulse which brought us Kaberle. This guy reacts and then thinks. Awful trade, for the timing and “youth” movement……

35. 21272andme says:

jtbourne
    Here’s why that was a horrible trade by Montreal: Cammalleri’s *life* is hockey. He’s going to be a stud for another 8 years.

36. krob1000 says:

now how do I explain this to my 3 yr old

37. GUNKA DIN says:

I think the Habs come out ahead. Cammy might score more with the right centre and a bit more work, but the goal potential is reasonably close.

But he is never gonna be six foot two over two ten with a mean streak.

Plus the Habs get a fairly high draft pick and a six foot nineteen year old prospect who can score a bit while giving away what they can afford as a goalie prospect.

And some moron wondered why Cammy wasn’t there for the turd period? Imagine an injury and the deal cancels.

see my blog at http://noroomatthedump.blogspot.com/

38. podbay says:

.: A once classy organization, the Habs are becoming the News of the World of the NHL – a tabloid team with sensationalist headlines and no content. Gauthier trades a player in the middle of a f*cking game? Say what you will about Cammy, but this move was the lowest of the low.

What can we expect next? Gauthier will pull a player from the game while he’s still on a shift? It’s astonishing that the Habs played this game as close as they did against the best team in the league.

These are dark days, with no end in sight. Kudos to Eric Cole, who still played like a demon tonight.

While I welcome departure of this overpaid floater, I can’t help but feel that Habs is just such a pathetic circus. Nothing respectable about this team. What a joke.

40. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

you hear the player comments they love playing for cunneyworth, screw these racist quebecrs who only speak one labnuage anyway, and keep the right man for the job not the just cause someone speakes french or has a french last name, pure racism.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

try practicing what you preach, youd be suprised how bad anglos are too.. the french actually have SOMETHING to lose..

Go Habs Go

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

This is an eglish team always was , and always will be, they should stop catoring to its stupid fans who incorporate politics and instead do whats best for the orginnization to win.

the french have nothing to loose give them back the nordiques. keep the CANADIEN fans together.

• Propwash says:

Seriously? Let it go.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

i respond to posts.. you guys should let it go.. i respond to ppl hating on french.. i dont start it.. i dont care what language it is, its international sport international city… try looking through comments and seeing how many ppl make comments like ” so we only ggot him cuz he speaks french” and garbage like that… im sorry that i take issue and feel that the hyopcrisy coming from your end is unbearable

Go Habs Go

• slychard says:

You’re no angel.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• JUST ME says:

Read your own comments man ! Do as i say don`t do what i do right ? You wrote how many posts tonight trying to spread hatred ? You are definitely not part of the solution..

• dorvalhabsfan says:

quote my hatred … i will then clarify them

Go Habs Go

• JUST ME says:

Was not commenting on your post. Sorry if you thought so.

The initial post was from HABSGUARDIANANGEL who has been writing dozens of posts about the french/english issue. Read one of his latest at 11.18 and it`s clear he is a troublemaker and undesirable…

41. dorvalhabsfan says:

Get ready to see more goals in and around the crease area.. i love it.. save 3 mill for a tough sob.. i wanna watch him lay out taht elbow next b’s game! so many good things about this trade… ppl complainign he speaks french disgust me.. i thought language shouldnt be an issue? or just a bunch of closet francobashers

Go Habs Go

42. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

So instead of rebuilding, trading for a YOUNG prospect, who does PG pick up….an older, slower, Moenesque player. Guess what, we still won’t make the playoffs. Time to rebuild PG, that means no more Kaberle, Bourque etc. Also, I don’t mind that we trade Cammy (we should do the same with Pleks, Gomez if we can, and a hald dozen others), but for pete’s sake, why would you trade a player when he is at his least valuable. Could there not have been a worse time to trade Cammy??? Where’s the youth???? He is so incompetent, it is scary.

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

his value was only going lower

Go Habs Go

• alfieturcotte says:

I also loved the way PG tried to sell Holland as if he were a can’t miss first round prospect There is a reason he was selected in the 7th round. Probably is a weak skater……..

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER…….

• CanadienBoy says:

PG did not try to sell anything that was the most honest speak from him so far but hiding the fact about Cammy,Bourque will be the best first player since Lemieux with some god them abrasion on this teams ,i like it PK will have somebody with some U.. to talk to

• slychard says:

RDS had a piece asking PG if he did this on the spot, his answer was that the deal was in the works for some time now. Relax dude this was a good trade. Money wise and player wise.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• likehoy says:

when a player is at their highest value, why would you trade them?

when was the last time a player at their highest value was traded who was NOT a UFA?

you trade a player when you are trying to improve your team.

– Next week on Habs Shore: Cammi Sweetheart is jealous of the attention G-Love is getting for his FHO philosophy (Fishing, Hockey, Overpaid)

• DickandDanny says:

Your missing the point. Don’t be so quick to dismiss this move until you take a better look at it. We got a second round pick in 2013 which I willl suggest could be somewhere in the 31-36 slot, just out of the first round. We also got an excellent prospect playing on possibly the best jr club in the country. This kid knows how to score, and he is learning how to win. Two important things we want to bring to our organization. So, your comment makes no sense to me. I think you should forget about Bourque in this deal, he is gravy basically, it’s the pick and prospect that have me and many others enthused.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• CanadienBoy says:

I want PG gone but give the guy credit Bourque and a 2 rd is a good move + give us sand paper like all; sandpaper guy he will be there for all those bruin and Philly shit disturber

• Kooch7800 says:

a player of same age and a 2nd round pick and a prospect….I think PG did a good job. Don’t believe the Tsn panel…..wake up

43. DickandDanny says:

Excellent post. Bang on. You nailed all the points of this trade. For those who think the GM could have got more I wish I could agree with you, as I am not pro Gautier, however in his defence he worked a very good deal. Last week people were suggesting Cammy for a 2nd and a prospect. So, we get the secong and a 30 goal scorer with size. C’mon people put your anti Gautier sentiments aside for once and appreciate our team just got bigger, faster, tougher and at half the cost with a great prospect in Holland (don’t look at the round he was drafted look at his present stats and future potential) and that second round pick which may be somewhere in the 30-36 spot come 2013. Good deal.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• foghorn11 says:

rene bourgue cannot speak french and he is not a french canadian he is from lac la biche ab and is not a goon

t lett

• crazyhabsfan says:

Of Métis heritage, Bourque has initiated several charitable causes dedicated to encouraging aboriginal children and helping youth from rural Northern Alberta afford the cost of playing hockey. He’s also fluent in French, as he is a Franco-Albertan.

• Habsbill24 says:

When did Bourque score 30 goals? In junior?

• Kooch7800 says:

I just watched the TSN panel and was laughing. They are calling it a calgary win. I look at Cammy as being a problem with size in Mtl. Bourque may not be consistent….neither was cammy other than in the playoffs and Cammy has never broke 50 points in Montreal. Bourque is around there plus we get a second round pick and a mid level prospect. Good trade in my estimation. The trades are not done yet for this team…..more to come for sure.

I like this move though. We were too small and this helps

• CanadienBoy says:

Sorry but i watch it to and nobody was laughing ,there is no way Calgary won that trade after a years or so Cammy will go back to be self fish Cammy, not the first time

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Who are you talking to?

44. likehoy says:

dammit I just changed my sign off to another cammi diss and he gets traded.

good riddance! happy with the deal.. I wanted bourque for cammy since november.

45. Propwash says:

So, Gauthier should have gotten a superstar player for an underachiever who makes superstar money.

Yeah, in the real world, these things don’t happen. Put it all into perspective.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

46. price365 says:

couldn’t care less – it’ll be the same old team – with or without Cammy – it’s not just cammy who gave up – there’s a lot more – they know this team is not making the playoffs – why over do it and pick up a bad injury for what – these guys aren’t stupid.

47. RiverviewCanadien says:

We lose to the Bruins and I am still in a good mood.

Trading Cammalleri took balls, and I bet it had Gainey written all over it, Gauthier does not seem like that type (hello, Bob never signed Saku). I really think this was a great trade, for both clubs.

Mike will thrive with Iginla. Jerome does NOT want to leave that city. He needs a goal scorer (they are tough enough with Tanguay). Seriously though, Mike will score in CGY.

But you don’t come out and talk about my Canadiens and expect a fan of this club to respect you. Buh-by.

I am glad you are gone.

Welcome home René. You and Emelin will get along just fine.

48. crazyhabsfan says:

Bourque will do just fine in Montreal,,, Might be the start to what the doctor ordered…

A few Cammy-esque goals in there too..lol

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Getting rid of $6 million for $3 million alone isn’t that bad. Getting Bourque who might not snipe as many as Cammalleri but should get 20 goals and add more size isn’t bad either.

50. axxerd says:

By the way Marinaro is going on, I’m starting to think Cammy was his little birdie feeding him info from inside the room.

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

51. JUST ME says:

Just cannot believe what i am reading . After all you have been complaining , no cap space ,won`t get more than a 4 th rounders for Cammi ,we only have smurfs, we need more beef and so on and so on and still you find a way to complaint about the deal ?

What else do you want ? You get what you were asking and cying for but still not satisfied ? Bourque + a prospect 9 th best scorer in the WHL right now+second round draft choice and cap space.

Listen to Marinaro tomorrow he`s your kind of always complaining never satisfied kind of negative so called fans…

52. Seps says:

Great trade, what was calgary thinking? Guys saying see what else we can get, we got a big french Canadien goon, isn’t that what everybody wanted…

Edit: x2

53. Seps says:

Great trade, what was calgary thinking?

• nickster13 says:

hoping Cammi can play the same way he did back then. I guess they havent watched Cammi’s downfall in the last couple years, he’s lost his competitiveness (the good kind) and goal scoring ability. Plus Iginla is only getting older, so I think Calgary won’t change much.

54. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

any coaches out there with a french last name? cause apperently that all it takes!!

55. Adidess says:

Camalleri was a malcontent and this team needs to rebuild with young players and lower salary veterans, so I don’t feel too bad about this trade.
    Frankly, I have given up on the season for two weeks now. Wants to see some positive stuff going forward. I’m also scared PG might be staying put as the architect of the new team I wanna see next year …

56. English is not a Crime says:

Aside: There’s the cap room they lost for Kaberle back….

57. ABHabsfan says:

By the sounds of other rumours, Boone, #17 might be available by the time Bourgue is!
    Just looked up Patrick Holland on the Tri-City Americans website. Apparently he had 4 consecutive 4 point games up to last week. Not bad. 57 pts in 40 games this year. 6’0 175 lbs. Same jr club as CP, and my buddy’s son, Marcus Messier is on the same team. That last bit likely doesn’t mean much to any of y’all. And Jordan Messier, forgot he was still there as well

58. SnowManHabs85 says:

Who will score our goals in the playoffs? Oh wait, we’re not in a playoff positi……

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

59. dallyd31 says:

this is comical. Everyone whines and moans about how Cammy is overpaid, useless, small and doesn’t score. Then they trade him for a guy that is bigger, nastier, has scored more the last 2 years and at half the cap space. Now all of a sudden, it is a bad trade, we got ripped off and we could have at least got a 1st rounder for an angry dressing room problem who has scored 9 goals and has $6 Million cap hit.

Only in Montreal…wow.

• frozengolf says:

Right on dallyd31, you hit it right on the head! Waaaaay too much bitching on this site. We got rid of a smurf, who wasn’t doing anything, for a big guy who likes to hit and can score. Plus a prospect and a 2nd rounder! good trade. Ramo was never going to play in Montreal with Price there.

The three important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Some folks just want to bitch.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

PREACH… groupthink my friend…

Go Habs Go

60. mb says:

NHLFlames Calgary Flames
    “I might be in trouble… I don’t speak French, even if I have the most French name on that team.” Bourque on playing for #Habs

61. Chuck says:

Unlike Cammy, Bourque is saying the right things:

“It’s a big shock, I had no idea this was going on. But if there’s anywhere I want to play, it’s Montreal.”

62. RobertAlanFord says:

I think PG dug the hole a little deeper with this one. Trading Cammalleri, or any player of that caliber, is a very delicate move. Especially in the Canadiens’ current situation. This move is going to dictate which direction you’re going in and I don’t see rebuild anywhere in here. PG is addressing the size issue and dumping some salary in the process, trouble is I hear he swapped one problem in the dressing room for another. On paper PG wins this trade but if Molson is planning on replacing him, now is the time. Let whoever that may be get their pieces set up before the deadline so they can have a plan going into the off season instead of walking into a big mess come summer.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”, Hunter S. Thompson.

63. nickster13 says:

Good deal. Cammi is on the downslope of his career. Its pretty obvious, being a small guy worked post-lockout with more space and penalties to boost stats, but now the game is too physical and fast for a guy who cant make his own space. His numbers will never touch 30 ever again so at least Bourque can dish out a hit or actually fight for a puck, makes it all worth it.

64. aj says:

I was just looking at the Canadiens Website. Interestingly, the video on Habs TV showing Cammalleri leading the warm-up streches this morning is a tell all sign of what was about to occur this evening:

Just a coincidence I guess…..

65. rob_c says:

Everything this GM does and 90% of you moan and groan. Could he have called the other 28 teams.. sure he could of have, but I’m sure there were other teams he had talked to as well. The move isnt just Cammy for Bourque… Its Cammy for Bourque, 2nd rounder and almost 3 million in cap space. We get bigger and stronger. I like it. Cammy was a one dimensional little person whom was not performing. His value was probably at an all-time low, and montreal wasnt in a position of strength in making a deal. What did you guys honestly expect? I mean a first rounder would of been nice, but anyone willing to trade for him would be a playoff or fringe team, its not like it would of been a top 10 pick. Good move. Move on.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Great post!

Bobcat Bob
      It was interesting to hear that giant bag of wind McClain on TSN say this was a ” panic move” — then Jay Feaster comes on and mentions how long this trade was in the works. Sort of explains why McClain has screwed up every hockey job he has had. I think
      Canadiens did very well in this trade – a big, tough player, another potential player, a 2nd round pick and most importantly
      they saved 3 million dollars in cap space — when they dump Gomez
      They will have 10 million in cap space — can you say Zack Parise??

66. habrez says:

Patrick Holland- the next Ben Maxwell

67. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Patrick Holland is a 7th round draft choice, he dosnt speak french or have a french last name.

68. matt jordan says:

Brutal trade.

Tommorow i hope i check tsn and find out that Pierre Gauthier has been sent to his hotel and he’s been fired as GM of the Canadiens.

This team is as dysfunctional as its ever been.

• Habsrule1 says:

Explain how it’s brutal please. Bourque is bigger, stronger and has scored more goals in the last 2 years than Cammi. He’s also got more this year.

Go Habs Go!!

Bobcat Bob
      Hmm, did you see tonight’s game this “dysfunctional” team played the ass off the Boston Bruins in their own building — only a lame goal by the Bruins saved them.

• matt jordan says:

This team is not dysfunctional?!
        Firing an assistant coach an hour before the game.
        Trading for a brutal contract and an average player in Kaberle, when no one else wanted him.
        Last in the division, all season.
        Hiring a coach who speaks English, than apologizing to the fans for hiring him.
        Trading a player after the second period.
        Scoring one goal in the past two games…

But they tried hard tonight, and only lost by one goal. Good work team!

69. RiverviewCanadien says:

Weber says he is better than some players. Scores the only goal tonight. Not the D I would trade at the moment.

Kostitsyn, Subban, 1st round pick for Shea Weber and a 3rd.

Would you do it?

70. dallyd31 says:

Only in Montreal…wow.

71. DorvalTony says:

Size. Gradually improving. Bye bye Cammi.

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

72. durocher says:

This is a very good trade:

— Bourque is 6’2″, 211. Cammy is 5’9″, 190
    — Bourque has 48 hits in 38 games this season; Cammy has 7 in 38
    — Bourque has 13 goals this season; Cammy 9
    — Bourque’s salary hit is $3.33m; Cammy’s is $6.00m
    — We get a 2nd round pick from Calgary (which likely will be a high pick because Calgary sucks), and give up a 5th round pick
    — We get a prospect who was a late-round pick, but is doing very well in the WHL
    — Cammy was unhappy at best, and insubordinate at worst

Good deal for the room, good deal on the ice, and good deal in terms of cap room.

As for the GM who claims he wish he knew Cammy was available, everyone in the hockey world knew Cammy’s situation in Montreal was precarious after his comments yesterday. I hardly believe it was a secret that Montreal would have be receptive to a deal for Cammy after the comments.

PG has made mistakes, but on this trade I think he did right by the team and the franchise.

73. jmsheehy19 says:

I don’t like the deal. Don’t hate it, but don’t like it. Rene Bourque is a solid player, but nothing special. And a 2nd next year isn’t that exciting. Can’t believe we couldn’t have gotten either a 1st or top prospect in return from a cup contender at the deadline. Holland is a wild card, may turn out in our favor.