Liveblog: Cammalleri to Calgary

bourque
Mike Cammalleri was intercepted in the tunnel on his way to the ice for the third period.
He was sent back to the room to talk to Pierre Gauthier.
The upshot: A trade to Calgary (where Cammalleri has played before) for René Bourque.

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier | Carey Price I and II

Morning skate AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Hal Gill | Claude Julien | Patrice Bergeron (on Marc Savard)

The Canadiens battled the Bruins for 60 minutes.

And maybe the best is yet to come.

Though not necessarily this season.

1,085 Comments

Point of information. We picked up Patrick Holland, not Peter Holland. Patrick is a 7th round pick while Peter went in the 1st round.

2. twocents says:

No one is explaining how Calgary will fit this into their cap. They must be about to make another move. Cammy puts them well over

3. savethepuck says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure Bourque has concussion issues. What I do know is that he’s 1 more idiotic hit away from probably a 20 game suspension. The elbow he gave a few weeks ago receiving his 2nd suspension of the season. I remember saying “what a Fckin idiot”.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

4. habaholic68NJ says:

The worst part of this trade is not that it exposes PG as the worst GM in the NHL, we already new that. The worst part is that Mr Molson either does not get this or does not care, and and will retain this idiot who continue to destroy what is left of this once great organization. After 44 years of being on the Habs bandwagon, I think it is finally time to cheer for the Rangers.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

5. habsfan0 says:

With the Habs getting rid of Jeff Halpern and now Mike Cammalleri, there are now ZERO Jewish players left on this team. I hope the entire Jewish community shows up outside the Bell Centre protesting this deplorable state of affairs.

• savethepuck says:

That’s funny Schemp, or is it Curly?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• habstrinifan says:

Just in case!

I have been in touch with several branches of the NAACP (in fact just got off the phone with the Lac la Bichea chapter)… just in case PG trades P.K. overnite …thus leaving the team without ONE black player.

Laraque doesnt count cause, much like Senator Strom Thurmond did, the habs are paying Laraque to stay outta sight of the neighbours.

We shall overcome baby!!!!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

only 1 black no asians, bur a few handicaps

6. Jim Edson says:

Marinaro sauce all of a sudden has a man-crush on paisan Cammalleri !

Lebrun quoting windbag Burke no doubt!

Just stirring the pot!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

7. dtoight says:

It’s a pretty good deal in my opinion. We save $3M a year. At 6’2 we also get bigger. Bourque has also scored over 25 goals the last 2 years and we got the 2nd rounder for a 5 th. I never heard of Patrick Holland though…

8. PeterD says:

To funny…this from TSN Twitter feed…

TSNDaveHodgeDave Hodge – TSN

When Randy Cunneyworth found out that Cammalleri was no longer on the bench, he apparently said, “I guess Mike was interim, too.”

9. Damn shame letting PG do anything. Fire sale. Bucket of water on a burning barn. We need to rebuild, not plug our fingers into thousands of holes in the damn wall. Cammy was a talented sniper who along with other players gave up and got fed up. Blame him or not, he had skill and Bourque is a repeat offender, so we’ll have to bite our nails each time he touches the puck. Great. Any plans PG? No, I should have guessed it and yes, we would have done better if we waited until the deadline. Cammy goes home and out of the barn fire. Wait ’til he scores a few on us just like everyone else who can’t breath from the media pressure and getting thrown under the bus by Canadiens management. Damn shame…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

10. Trisomy 21 says:

Cammy will play better in CGY.
    Pierre LeBrun:
    One NHL GM when told of the trade, said he wished he knew Cammalleri was available. Would have made an offer.

Glad PG shopped around. Did he think today was the trade deadline or did he think Rene Bourque was the answer? because I can’t believe that this is the best MTL could get. This GM is a joke

11. Chuck says:

According to Jay Feaster they’ve been working on this one for a while now. Apparently Cammy’s comments were just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

• Billyboy says:

I thought the Canadiens played very well tonight. A couple of
      fluky goals that Price did not have a chance on, one a sbounce off the boards and the other deflected by Georges’s stick.

I believe Eller is the best stick handler on this team, he’s going
      to get better. He works well on the PK and I believe he would be
      great on the PP. Why do we continue to use the players we do on the PP. It has not worked since the season started. Give Eller more than the usual 10-15 seconds on the PP and maybe he can help improve it.

12. Captain aHab says:

I like the deal personally. Holland looks intriguing to me.

13. Sal says:

My only question is: how many offers did they get? Could this be any more, embarrassing?! If management, PG,BG, traded Cammy for Bourque after feilding MANY offers and concluding this was the BEST offer, well, OK! How they could have done their due dilligence in 24 hrs is kind of puzzling, NO? If management is trying to save the season, then it’s worse than I thought. To me, rebuilding means future prospects and/or draft picks, not Rene Bourque!! Bring up some youth from the Dogs, not including LL, and play out the string. Get a sweet draft pick from the Lottery and don’t f&*k it up! Is that too much to ask??

Sal from the Hammer

14. SUMO says:

listening to Gauthier makes me want to puke. TABERNAC!!!!

• gmur says:

At least someone in the organisation finally realizes that the team has to get bigger! Don’t fire Gauthier now! Molson will hire someone who thinks the answer to our troubles is a blockbuster deal with Buffalo for Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe and Derek Roy for Pacioretty, Cole, Gill and Emelin…

15. rogus says:

FROM WIKIPEDIA

“Of Métis heritage, Bourque has initiated several charitable causes dedicated to encouraging aboriginal children and helping youth from rural Northern Alberta afford the cost of playing hockey. He’s also fluent in French, as he is a Franco-Albertan.”

Seems like a good guy to me.

16. Mike D says:

LOLs – Cammy AND Patrick Holland are trending topics on Twitter right now.

Habs fans are GLOBAL!

– Honestly yours

17. gmur says:

Not a bad trade… Bourque is a veteran. Get rid of a bad apple that Scott Thorton (a real team player) said was the most selfish player he ever played with. We gain 3M of cap space. Don’t forget we have to sign Price and Subban eventually. I also like the 2nd round pick instead of 5th round pick… and Holland is 6 feet and appears to be doing ok with Tri City. Our goalie was expendable.

Not bad. I don’t think you could have gotten much more for Cammi-donna.

18. daveho29 says:

Was just looking at Bourque’s stats on tsn, has he ever had a lot of injuries in his career.

19. PeterStone says:

Dont be fooled. Bourque is very streaky ( aka lazy ) , and he was on the block for Calgary. Its not a great deal. tho Its not a horrible deal. We pick up a decent 2nd, and Holland has some skills. The best part is PG and the Habs realized they need to get bigger, as he finally said and admitted.

20. HabFab says:

Not sure why they have Vinnie on Antichambre? He does not fit in at all, makes way too much sense!

21. HFX-HabFan says:

Well this has been quite the night.

I like the trade but am a tad concerned about Bourque’s contract length- like Cole, he will be in his mid 30s by the time it’s up; will he have the same effectiveness?

22. JoeC says:

Bad Trade…

I dont like it, and im hope Molson doesnt like it either, i think its gonna bite us in the ass.

23. Marc10 says:

Remove Cams and Gomer from the cap space, add some size and grit, and then you can add 3 more players that will make a difference.

I’ll miss Playoff and Big Game Cams, but we just don’t have a team where he can flourish.

I get the move but I think reshipping Cams at the deadline by the Flames (once he’s played with Iggy and gotten his points totals back up) will return a bigger fish.

24. Da Hema says:

I am just glad I no longer have to watch Cammalleri swipe his stick after missing yet another open net….

The second round pick is nice, but I am afraid that Gauthier and Timmins will just waste it by selecting yet another 5′ 7″ 150-pound forward.

25. RS says:

Calgary’s 2nd round pick (2013) sounds useful. Should be early in 2nd round, they aren’t going anywhere.

26. G-Man says:

1 playoff goal scoring player for a big player that has scored 27 goals 2 years in a row and is on pace to do the same. Seeing as the playoffs are being pushed back to Spring 2013 (or 2014 with the upcoming strike/lockout), what the hell? Why not?
    Maybe all 4 lines will have some size on them now.
    About tonight’s game: the Bruins were allowed to sleepwalk to victory. RC is digging his way to the cellar and it won’t look good on his resumé next Spring. Then, there’s that strike/lockout so it’s all good for non-hockey fans.

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

27. Sharks9 says:

Does anyone actually think this is a bad trade? We get virtually the same player for less of a cap hit and a better draft pick.

25 before 14

28. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

pg should do his homework, jusr cause players have french last names does not make them french ala beualieu , giroux, and bourque, no love for english speaking quebecrs like lombardi or crawford, quevbec is racist, bull shit! racist racist racist

29. kempie says:

Man, Timo is gonna love this.

30. twocents says:

Hey Lebrun, let me guess, the GM your talking about was in the Eastern conference and his initials are B.B. He says the same thing every time. The Habs were not going to trade a player like Cammalleri within the division. Plain and simple.

31. Chris B. says:

That GM Lebrun is quoting is clearly the noted wind bag Brian Burke. As if he’d trade him to Hogtown…

32. axxerd says:

What is Tony Marinaro going on about??

This may not be a ‘great’ deal…but isn’t bad. He keeps saying Bourque is on a downward spiral..wtf is Cammy on?

Habs save about 3 million in cap space to help sign Price and Subban etc… Bourque is bigger and stronger and can score just as regularly as Cammy..but not all fancy..just dirty goals near the net. Add to that they get a 2nd rounder and a big guy in the AHL who is at over a point/game…I think the Habs did pretty good. Sure the contract is a year longer..but the cap hit is a lot less.

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Makes sense to me.

• Rob D says:

Marinaro likes the sound of his own voice..I am happy they cleared some cap space. And I KNOW that Burke is the source for that tweet..lol..he’s got his media friends whose ear he can bend anytime. Cammy is just an awful hockey player at the moment. He contributes very little to nothing when he’s not scoring. I would have preferred they trade him at the deadline and not in the middle of a game but overall..I am in full rebuild mode and know there is going to be some blood on the floor.

• 24 Cups says:

ax – The cap dfference is 2.7M which we might want to spend on AK46 or Moen. Bourque’s contract runs a year longer than Cammy’s. The Gomez contract will cover Price/Subban.

There are two Hollands. We got the guy who went in the 7th round, not Peter, who went in the first. Patrick Holland was sent back to junior again. I don’t believe he’s in the AHL at all this year. He weighs in at 173 lbs.

• axxerd says:

Patrick Holland has 57 pts in 40 games with Tri-City this year…at worst he is finally someone we could call up from Hamilton. At best he could be a decent NHLer at some point.

—-
        Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• Forum Dog says:

Good post. Cheaper, bigger guy who goes to the net. Something they don’t have and need. I heard Marinaro say you should be able to get a lot more for Cammalleri. Not sure what fantasy he lives in, but I doubt teams are lining up to buy on $6M forward who is on pace for 20 goals, HAS 7 HITS and 9 BLOCKED SHOTS IN 40 GAMES, and has doesn’t play a full team game.

Money for Price, a physical forward who can play Cammy’s 15 minutes per game, and you still have the same chance of making the playoffs. I don’t see this as a bad deal.

33. boonie says:

… this is why you don’t let the classless M. Gauthier handle the sell off the and “rebuild”. Rene Bourque. Why add another 30-year-old player underperforming his contract with YEARS left on it when you’re REBUILDING….

For G—‘s sake Mr. Molson wake the EFFF up.

Allowing Gauthier to add Bourque and Kaberle implies — strongly — that — incredibly — Gauthier is here for the long haul. I suppose speaking French is FAR more important that talent.

34. WindsorHab-10 says:

Why is PG still employed by the Habs? Does Mr Molson even give a damn or is PG is his guy?

Rene Bourque is the best PG could’ve gotten for Cammalleri? Give me a break. Right now, the whole Canadiens organization sucks.

35. Chuck says:

Too bad the trade couldn’t have included a bit of good luck for the Habs and a decent server for HI/O.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

PJ Stock says they should trade PK.

What a tool.

37. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

WE DIDNT GET VERY MUCH FOR A FORMER 40 GOAL SCORER. I think we rushed the move, didnt get enough value, if bourque didnt have a french last name, you know and I know this trade dosnt happen. too much politics in montreal, its killing our team.

38. Mike D says:

C’mon PG, you couldn’t get a 1st rounder for Cammy considering Bourque’s not exactly a special player, young, or on a particularly good contract?

I knew we wouldn’t get a good return after yesterday’s media firestorm, and as soon as I heard it was Calgary, I was pretty sure we wouldn’t get much back in terms of good young prospects or draft picks since their cupboard is so bare.

– Honestly yours

39. RS says:

PAtrick Holland is 9th in the WHL in points. Interestingly, that gives him more points than Brendan Gallagher. Obviously Holland has played more games and it looks like he plays on a very good line, but it’s still interesting.

40. habstrinifan says:

This is FUN! FUN! FUN!

So here’s my contribution! Wait let me take another bite of this muffin. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
    OK! This is crazy idea but I just suddenly have this funny feeling that it’s gonna happen.

You folks ready??

Guy Boucher to Montreal for .. Randy Cunneyworth. Straight up!

I am not suggesting it because I am a Boucher follower. It’s just like I am watching the game.. well the first period.. and eureka.. it’s like I was visited by the ghost of Notradamus.

And something about this idea just seems so in keeping with the craziness in HABSLAND.

So you heard it here first! Boucher for Cunneyworth.

Tampa’s players seem to have given up on Genius Guy and we all know RC wont get the job here because of the language.

Stay tuned!

41. Mattyleg says:

Ooof!!
    Bad news for HH, Gauthier just said that the season is still alive.
    No Tanking™ thus far…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. WestHab says:

I watch alot of Flames games and Borque has been one of my favourites. I have often said to my son”H’ed look good in a Habs’ jersey”. True Borque has been unconsistent and is seving a five game suspension at the monment. He goes to the net and has great vision around the net. I’m sorry to see Cammy go under these circumstances but I feel the Habs needed to diversify. Camy was the most market able of the sumerfs. This was the best that could be done right now.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

43. habsfan0 says:

“Name not withstanding, René Bourque does not speak French”

But in the wacky Bizarro World that is the Montreal Canadiens, getting a player with a French sounding name is enough to apparently appease the masses.

44. HFX-HabFan says:

UGH

@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Pierre LeBrun

45. Habsrule1 says:

Damphousse is a pretty straight-shooter. I don’t like that he said it now, but I’m sure it’s true.
    I lost a lot of respect for Cammalleri yesterday and I won’t miss him.

Go Habs Go!!

46. SnowManHabs85 says:

So AK will be extended during the off season? AK has been better than Cammy offensively in the goals department i guess. Or not…

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

47. slapshot777 says:

Anything that PJ says is utter garbage. He is just a useless douche bag who has nothing intelligent to say. How he got a jon into broadcasting is beyond me. I guess it goes to show if he can get a job like that anybody can.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

48. The Dude says:

I like the trade ..Bourque is a BIG man and only 30

• dorvalhabsfan says:

i dont know if sarcasm or not lol.. i like the trade.. gives us a more physical winger, more grit and back check… less salary. and a draft pick.. not too shabby for someone everyone knew. we were gunna trade we traded him b4 his value got too low.

Go Habs Go

• dorvalhabsfan says:

you ppl are awful… who cares if bourque is french or not? i thought language wasnt an sisue.. Bourque will hit and backcheck… i wont miss cammaleris coasting to the d zone or his inability to hit… good move.. got a high 2nd rounder and 3 mill.. good god what an awful trade
      Go Habs Go

49. P-Habby says:

let the fire sale begin!

50. RetroMikey says:

Tank I say! Hope Gauthier has learned his lesson and realizes we arent going to make the playoffs and starts trading before the deadline.
    Let’s start trading Weber, Gionta when he comes back healthy, Gill, Plekanec, Kaberle, and others that we can get youth and draft picks.
    Rebuild I say and not tool!
    See you Mikey but you just were too small and way overpaid by Bobby.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

51. Chuck says:

So essentially Cammy and Ramo for Bourque + cap space.

52. Habsrule1 says:

Inconsistent? He’s on pace to score about 27 goals this year. the same total as last year…..and the year before.

Putz….

Go Habs Go!!

53. Sal says:

I hate this knee jerk SHIT!!!! FU, PG, FU, Jeff Molson for letting this a-hole make ANY F$%KING trades!!!!!!

Sal from the Hammer

54. Propwash says:

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

55. Gerry H says:

Excellent deal. Habs just got bigger and nastier, lost little in goal scoring, saved almost $3 million in cap space, switched a fifth for a second and got a little Frencher. Bonus: Problem in the room solved.

Hats off, M. Gauthier.

56. TheMock780 says:

Patrick Holland, Tri-City:

6’0 175 lbs.

17 goals and 40 assits in 40 games. +23 with 32 PIMS

57. HabFanSince72 says:

The main thing we got is cap space. Bourque is on pace for 30 goals and only makes $3.3M.

Not a bad trade, but you wonder whether a cup contender would have offered more.

I’d be unhappy if I was a Flame fan though.

58. Gerry H says:

Hats off, M. Gauthier.

• Jim Edson says:

From Lac La Biche Alberta?????

Been there they speak cowboy not French.

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

59. Chuck says:

I guess that they got Bourque so that he could translate for Cunneyworth during the post-game pressers.

60. habs-fan-84 says:

Is Bourqure still suspended

61. Mondou6 says:

lol @ PG…

“Well obviously we’re undersized. I don’t know who is the idiot who stocked our team with 5 foot players.”

62. sims says:

i likey! size! and a second rounder to boot!

63. zozotheclown says:

For the record, Rene Bourque kinda sucks…. Basically AK46 2.0, very hot at some times and very cold at others, except this year, where he’s just been bad.

Cammy’s been bad as well, so we can’t expect much, but I really do think a playoff team would have payed higher for a proven playoff performer at the deadline.

Now… is this prospect any good?

Isn’t Ramo our only other young prospect goalie? Not sure what I think of trade.

65. Bertuzzi says:

Unfortunately, Bourque is 32 years old. Not exactly building for the future.

66. English is not a Crime says:

If all they got was Bourque, Gauthier should be fired immediately. This isn’t a race, he could have waited and let other teams know he was available and see if any of them had anything worthwhile to offer first? If you make a trade that fast, it should at least be a halfway decent one.

67. Propwash says:

Decent salary dump as well.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

68. byrneoNL says:

When asked for comment, Darth Vader had this to say:

69. Mattyleg says:

Cammy, Kari Ramo, and a 5th rounder for Bourque, a prospect and a 2nd rounder in ’15.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. immortalhab says:

A team can go to shit and players will still want to play there. I think good players don’t want to stay in Mtl because of the distractions and the needless pressure by fans at the Bell who haven’t consulted a calendar since John Travolta was a sit-com actor. I don’t see how this team can rebuild like Philadelphia and Chicago did when they were in the toilet.
    Based on our recent history, this is what I believe to be the most likely outcome: Cammy is on the next bus. Fans await our return trade. A door opens. JM walks in with a bag of magic beans and a new contract. Suddenly the press is in a huge frenzy because Moen speaks French with a Saskatchewan accent and PG is seen in the corner playing with a Gomez action figure. Welcome to Montreal!

71. Mondou6 says:

I’ll never forget where I was the day I learned that some guy was traded for some other guy.

72. habsperspective says:

Boone, do they make you pay for this sites server out of pocket!

Holy crap, time for an upgrade.

73. Dunboyne Mike says:

Just checked Wikipedia — in Bourque’s biography he’s already listed as a Hab.

74. The Dude says: