Liveblog: 0-for-Cunneyworth

UnitedCentre

With their 5-1 loss in Chicago, the Canadiens are winless in three starts under their new coach.
And they play again in Winnipeg on Thursday night – against a team fighting for a playoff spot.
Good tee times available in early April.

1. Habsbill24 says:

And let’s be clear about their record, they are now 13-22. That is not close to a 500 team let alone a potential Cup winner.

2. boonie says:

Has a coach ever quit on a team?

His players don’t care, his GM hung him out to dry and he’s a lightning rod for a good portion of the team’s fans…

3. Laramy87 says:

Well for the Habs fan living in Toronto, im happy leafs are losing now too so i dont have to hear how good they are lol…

Im an optimistic Habs fan, on game days Im excited to come home and watch. We are only 3 points out of the playoffs (just goes to show you how bad the east is). I agree with everyone that this team lacks effort. If they show effort and emotion we can compete. Tonights 3rd period there was no compete. I am just at a loss of words with this team.

Hopefully a few days off for christmas will make this team play better. I dunno, its an optimistic view i guess

4. Habbu says:

Watching the Canucks Wings….man these teams play at a much faster pace with more skill than the Habs……yeah maybe, just maybe…we simply aren’t good enough……..so let’s tank and reload for 2017.

5. kholdstare says:

This is like that show intervention. They show you pictures of when they were healthy and happy, and juxtapose it with the person at absolute rock bottom. We are that junkie in the alley, and we need an interventionist to come give us a second chance, and give us our dignity back. We have hit rock bottom.

6. kenzie420 says:

this site is depressing Im going to look for another site that actually supports this team. Get over it we suck this year.

7. Habsbill24 says:

Is there any player on this team you can feel proud about other than perhaps Price? Didn’t think so.

8. SmartDog says:

No question losing sucks. Losing 3 times in a row sucks 9 times as much. But the only thing WORSE than this is being stuck in mediocrity forever.

Sooo… on the POSITIVE side, maybe, just maybe, a rough pack of games will put an end to the “Gainey experiment” in Molson’s mind and he’ll ship some overpaid forwards out, and send PG packing along with them. There is one other bright spot…. if he doesn’t dramatically turn it around, PK’s next contract is gonna come cheap. I love the kid and I believe in him long term but man he sucks right now. Sign him to a 2 year, 2.25/year and if he gets back to form we’ve got a huge bargain.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I feel like the little kid at the end of story The Emperor’s New Clothes.

10. Habbu says:

So many faults, so many shortcomings, so many problems…..no quick fixes here…..it’s gonna be a long road to the promised land…..but it starts with admitting you have a problem…..according to my sponsor anyway

11. an_star says:

guys you forget how crappy our conference is, we are only like 3 points out of a playoff spot, i agree the team is turning out to be a dud, but with 40 some-odd games left, we can still make the playoffs, thanks to the lackluster play of the bottom half of the conference.

12. alfieturcotte says:

I have been calling for PG’s firing since 2009. How many more horrendous moves can they let him get away with — Markov, Kaberle, trading away 2nd round draft pick for Tinordi, Pleks for thinking he is a 1st line center and signing him as if he were, and list goes on……..Time to cut our losses and embrace cellar seasons so we can rebuild with top draft picks. Look at the Oilers, Hawks, Penguins….

13. Laramy87 says:

How come when this team dumps it in, there is no chase.

Everytime i see someone dump the puck in, I just think to myself oh here we go no recovery.

14. slapshot777 says:

Screw, this even on here is depressing just talking about. The more we discuss it the more painful it is.

Just watching a bunch of players who have no pride in their play. If every player just tried to make a decent showing for himself the Habs would be playing better. The players just don’t care.

15. Mondou6 says:

I hate to nitpick, but…

Can Subban please STOP taking a 110% effort slap shot on a moving puck from the point? What are the odds that is going in? 200 to 1?

It seems that is the only shot he takes lately.

If he wants to take a dramatic showboat slapshot, can he at least tee it up first?

My other pet peeve is when players take a full wind up slapshot from 30 feet out. When you’re in that close, a wrist shot is way more accurate, and you should be able to beat the goalie with it too.

16. twilighthours says:

This really does feel a lot like the houle/tremblay era.

—————————————————————–

17. habs001 says:

While the matrix and stat posters have disappeared did they not say that we are a really good team and things should turn around…i know one poster has been saying that our lack of scoring is just bad luck but he has been saying that since the 2009-2010 season

18. shakey says:

Brutal. I record the games and used to fast forward when the habs were down three – now i do it when they are down two, and soon it will be when they are down one.

Cammellieri is non-existent. He will be moved at the deadline because he has some value – I just hope we get enough for him.

19. Habsbill24 says:

The Habs are leading the league in games lost to backup goalies and being out played by teams that are playing the second leg of back to back games. Good job guys.

20. twilighthours says:

This biosteel product seems intriguing. It allows you to take dys and weeks off work and still get paid.

—————————————————————–

21. NLhabsfan says:

I don’t feel sorry for “us” I realized a month ago we were out of the playoffs… The sad thing is we are going to make some kind of go for the final playoff spot in the end… People are going to hope and pray there is a difference and it will be ok..ITS NOT going to make a difference.Cut our losses and start the rebuild now… No one except Price should be on the block… We should be selling for draft picks and the best other teams youth have to offer.It’s over guys the sooner we realize that the better this team will be in the future.

22. Habsolutely says:

anybody that thought this version of the habs was gonna beat the Hawks was dreaming in bleu, blanc, et rouge technicolour…

23. slapshot777 says:

The way the media is they don’t deserve any interviews. Because the players and reply in French and the public don’t want to hear anything in English.

24. Laramy87 says:

At least after the Bruins came I felt better coming into this game. But a third period like that, just pitiful.

I dont think we are a bad team, we have similar personel to last years team, this is why I am so confused with this team. We can play well for a few periods but we do not ever play 60 minutes. Good 40 then one of the worst 20 of the season.

I do not know what to expect going into tomorrows game. We need a win in the worst possible way right now. Hopefully this upcoming christmas break will help the team.

Im trying to be optimistic with this team, but is there any point?

25. Mattyleg says:

Just a little note to everyone:
    Blaming the defense and the goalie in a game where the forwards only score one goal is dumb.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. Habsbill24 says:

There is an old joke. A reporter asked a sports star what he liked about being a professional athlete. The player said, “I like the fame, the money, the travel, the women, in fact I like everything but the games”. That is our boys, guys that don’t really like the games and it shows.

27. Everlasting1 says:

Outplayed, outclassed, outcoached. The Hawks were literally sitting on the lead at 3-1. Sitting comfortably. They didn’t even care to keep pressing. Had the Habs contained. That’s the sense one gets watching this game.
    The players are not feelin it with this coaching staff, management. They’re not believable.

——————————————————————-
    “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

28. PureGuava says:

Pleks, Cammy, Gorges and Moen…all -3. I think it’s time to start moving money and get some plugs and picks back. I’d rather suck with kids in the line-up than with people making a fortune to lose that don’t learn anything.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

29. solomio says:

Yesterday I called for the Habs to win tonight. Boy was I off. Hawks played pretty good after playing and losing to Pitts by a goal last night and getting back into Chitown at 2 a.m. this morning.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

30. Mondou6 says:

A lot of nights, the difference between winning and losing is coming down to the hard cold fact that the other team has more talented players than we do.

A lot of times, we try as hard, maybe harder. We tried enough tonight, and the optimists would say we were in the game against a top team, but then you look at the final score, and we lose 5-1.

That happens quite a lot to us.

Basically, a lot of teams have better players than we do.

31. slapshot777 says:

I don’t want to hear the players ever again utter the words ” it’s on us ” or ” we have to be better ” and I really don’t want to hear these cliche ” team only meeting ” or ” we have to be better”

If you play this game and keep coming up with this crap. It’s time to put up or shut up.

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Lottery pick baby!

33. Habsbill24 says:

Play Emelin. Time to develop the future. Gill can sit, or Campoli, or Diaz. Watch 24/7 on HBO. Laviolette and Tortarella. Real coaches with passion, both American born.

• Mattyleg says:

“Good for TV” coaches don’t impress me, but they impress the TV-viewing public.

I’d be curious to see how well Scotty Bowman would’ve come across on TV. Pretty poorly, I imagine.

I have no time for either of those coaches.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Habbu says:

Well we are now at rock bottom…a Bruins fan who has spent a lifetime hating the Habs; is texting; that he can’t believe it, but he is actually feeling sorry for us…….and that folks is as bad as it can get…. Never thought I’d ever see the day.

35. well we gave that one away…the backup goalie should be rethought. He gave up a couple tonight. There was this young standout in preseason that stood out- i can’t remember his name. Nonetheless, Budjai doesn’t cut it. Subban gave them the third goal, he has been less that stellar for a while now. Campoli aint the answer either, he blew a tire on the second goal (reminds me of the same play a couple of games back with Philly, he blew another tire… that lost the game) bring back Emelin, much more of a weapon…at least he hit somebody. bench Cammalari, Darche…etc. – where is White? ..blah blah blah… very disappointing loss tonight being outdone in the third period. Yet again, we seem to defeat ourselves, by not putting enough rubber at the net and working there goalie… on to the Winnipeg.

36. Rickly33 says:

Be patient, things will change, why do you think the gomer, gionta, and Markov are out still? There’s something is in the works. I saw the play where gio hurt himself, don’t know how! Discuss

37. deuce6 says:

PG has to go and bring Gainey with him…We had our run with this core and now they are getting too comfortable…

I’m afraid PG will try and make a blockbuster and overpay with prospects/picks in a desperation move to make the playoffs…

This team is littered with forwards that can’t hit the water if they fell out of a boat and a D that is softer than melted butter…

We are tied to too many bad contracts and they need to be traded, not built around..

Just sell and see what you can get…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

38. JF says:

Gainey took over eight years ago. After a rebuild that seemed promising until 2009, it now looks as though his housecleaning that summer has put us right back where we were. This team is as bad as the team in the late 90s which, one November, didn’t win a single game.

We need a proper rebuild: get rid of the overpaid vets, stockpile draft picks, start over. If whoever is GM once Molson gives PG the boot tries to do another rebuild via free agency, we should all simply quit on the team. This is beyond pathetic; it’s disgraceful.

39. Hali_Hab says:

Or Branden Gaunce

40. otter649 says:

Canucks score two goals in 21 secs against Detroit wanted to beat the 22 secs The Hawks did against The Habs……lol

41. malmn says:

Wow. I feel really bad for Cunneyworth. He merits better. The players should be ashamed of themselves.

GO HABS GO!!!

42. Pucknut says:

It’s time to break out the 21,273 brown paper bags to send this team a message.
    But no cut out holes for the mouth to drink or eat overpriced beer or hot dogs

43. Hali_Hab says:

3. LC Alex Galchenyuk – Sarnia (OHL)

Thats what we need

44. Rob D says:

After that “effort” from this “team” there is only one emotion to cling to..

.yes,kids..I’m glad all over!!

I think I will sing this idiotically all the way to bed,

45. Fab K says:

time for a fire sale… get rid of all your heavy contracts, load up on draft picks, and rebuild… properly this time…

if this is what should be done to get a contender by the year 2015, it must start now, and without Gauthier/Gainey at the helm of the decision making.

Mr Molson, make it so.

46. Hali_Hab says:

3. LC Alex Galchenyuk – Sarnia (OHL)

• solomio says:

What the heck does LC stand for.?

47. kholdstare says:

Someone has to say it Cunneyworth is in over his head. We should of stayed the course, like American elections.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Yes, that would have made a big difference. Martin (though I don’t enjoy his coaching style at all) was a scapegoat. The real issue was/is Gainey’s and now it’s all about Gauthier’s mismanagement of the team. Gainey’s tenure was all about small and fast. Gauthier was part of it and has stayed the course. During the summer and fall (and I don’t even want to go into the bonehead move of signing Markov for close to 6 mil/yr for 3 years) it looks as if he has taken great pains to avoid injecting much needed punishing and effective toughness into the Hab’s lineup when the opportunity presented itself. (4th line and defense). Also he has refused to add that deterrent to the activity of picking on our many smaller “skilled players” and running our goalies.

48. ricklamothe says:

That being said, the infusion of Gionta and Gomez may actually be helpfull, cause im really tired of darche and blunden. and if ever, markov comes back half as good as he was, well then they may be hope for a playoff push, but dont hold your breath.

• solomio says:

Yes we would have to agree that Gionta and Gomez are more talented hockey players than Darche and Blunden

49. wild flower says:

Yay, Higgins just scored. Straight up for Gomez?

50. durocher says:

At this point, we’d have the #7 pick in the 2012 draft

51. Hali_Hab says:

Higgins just scored his 10th goal

52. ricklamothe says:

In all my years i have never seen a team consistantly play the back up on the first of back to backs. Not that this loss is on Budaj but who knows, it may have been a 1=0 lead after 2 with price in net, he is after all the only all star on this team.

Emilin has to play, i dont care who he takes out, just play the beast, he is the only physical player we have. Notice how the forwards of Chicago just kinda dipsy doodled, spead up, slowed down at will tonight, they know no ones gonna put them on their ass so why not.

This Moeon on the top line is retarded, put louis leblanc there and reuinite him with eller and ak, or put ak with cammy and plecs, one of the 2 at least you may have 1 line with chemistry there instead of 2 with zero.

Why was the 4th line on the ice in the 3rd period at all, when it was a 1 or 2 goal game?

These guys are consitantly making the same soft mistakes that we yell at our 9yr olds for, weak ass reverse to the other team etc.. the last 4 wins have been decided by a horrible montreal turnover in the offensive zone. Off the boards and out until they win a game, it may be boring but obviously its back to basics with some of these guys.

53. Mavid says:

well i am so bummed.. on to tomorow and the jets
    go habs go
    second place is just the first loser

54. Habsolutely says:

I really hope we “Nail” a lottery pick…

(see what I did there?)

55. Bim says:

Can anyone say F i r e S a l e boys and girls!!! How about Carey Price straight up for Steve Mason? That would most certainly get us the first draft choice. Anyone think that PG will be joining Perry and Jacques in the unemployment line come January 2nd? Another uninspired effort again tonight. How many of these will it take before bodies start filing out of Montreal? I think Winnipeg will kick our ass tomorrow night. Better divert the plane now before it leaves the runway and head home to enjoy the holiday’s. Mail it in boys. It couldn’t get any worse.

56. Promised myself I wouldn’t check the score but.. what can a Habs fan do..
    Look at the standings. Look at the number of points we have. Now look at the number of games we have played.

Habs are going nowhere this season. We need to be sellers.

57. Pucknut says:

From calling the police for an on ice incident (Max & Chara) to The political provincial parties demanding a french speaking coach, this team along with its lacluster play has become the laughing stock of the league,
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kholdstare says:

I know it’s hard, I will always cheer for them, but we used to be great. Now someone is saying the Jets are closer to the cup than us. I feel a little empty right now. Maybe the Mayans are right. This has to be a sign.

58. wild flower says:

Tix selling relatively inexpensively for the Jets vs Habs tomorrow night. St Boniface is not buying what the Habs are offering. I wonder how many people will be wearing Canadiens jerseys. I’m guessing less than there would have been in the 90’s. At this point, the Jets look closer to the cup than Canadiens do.

59. Laramy87 says:

Those 2 “own” goals in the 2nd period killed this team, they finished the period okay, but the 3rd was disgusting. This team just didn’t come out to play.

Is there anyway we can bag skate them right now.

60. HotHabs says:

I find it such a double standard when I hear english expressions on Antichambre

61. Hali_Hab says:

3. LC Alex Galchenyuk – Sarnia (OHL)

That would be a nice pick to get

62. durocher says:

Does anyone know if the Canadiens have ever had two coaching changes in a single season?

63. MTLCANADIENS says:

Just got home from my AAA game tonight, can anyone fill me in on what happened tonight?

oh ya we tied 3-3

64. Habbu says:

Cammy is on dope and therefore has become one

65. arcosenate says:

Well at least the About Last Night segment will be easy to write, the only problem will be how many times do you need to use the word “suck”? If they do get top 3 top 5 draft pick they’ll take anot her one of their specials that play their whole careers with another team. (Can you say Mr. Hockey?)Not much solace in that. So, let’s just suck it up and watch the suckitude for the rest of this sucky season.

66. Clay says:

Thinning of the herd…the weak get weeded out at this time of year, and the Habs are weak.

Time to tank.

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

67. Rickly33 says:

Right now we are a team without a top three, no matter who is in the line up. We don’t have a top line, two very good second lines and two fourth lines. You can’t win like that. From what I saw tonight the heart is quickly leaving this team.

68. kholdstare says:

Pierre Gauthier needs to be fired now.

69. Habbu says:

Actually looking forward to watching the World Juniors to see which candidate could lead us to the promised land

70. durocher says:

Subban needs to sit — he didn’t learn anything from last game when his fancy backhanded pass led to a turnover and a goal. He did the same tonight. And he didn’t block out Toews on the first goal.

Cammy and Pleks are shells of their former selves. If we turn into “sellers,” which we will, I’d advocate for trading both of them for younger players and/or picks.

Emelin has to play. Our fourth line doesn’t bring energy (even though that’s a fundamental purpose for a fourth line), leaving it to Emelin to get some momentum on our side.

71. mb says:

Well, I don’t know if it’s just me, but I don’t even expect a win anymore… I can’t say I’m utterly disappointed when they lose, ’cause I figured they would. And I’m usually one to see the glass half full. Pathetic, really.

72. Chuck says:

Question #1: Why can’t this team play a reasonable 3rd period?

Question #2: I know that it’s REALLY close to Christmas, but could they please re-hire Perry Pearn and fire him again?

73. PeterD says:

Cammi is playing like he wants to be traded out of Montreal.

74. LA Loyalist says:

Dumb Question: since Rick Green was let go, do we have a coach for the Defense?

On a supposedly D oriented team, wouldn’t that be a priority?

Just asking…