B.C.’s team

Boston Bruins v Vancouver Canucks - Game Seven

Photo by Elsa/Getty Images

Injuries and no-shows by their star players did the Canucks in.
All the Bruins – including the fourth line – played like they wanted the Stanley Cup.
And they got it.
We thought Tim Thomas might be better than Roberto Luongo.
But did anyone expect Brad Marchand to outplay Henrik and Daniel Sedin … by a lot?
In the most important hockey game of their lives, the twins were matching minus-4s. Mike Milbuiry must be pissing himself laughing.
My series turning point?
Dan Hamhuis goes low to check Milan Lucic in the second period of Game 1.
It was the last play of the Stanley Cup final for Vancouver’s steadiest Dman.
Then Kevin Bieksa’s new partner, Aaron Rome, got suspended … and that was the ballgame.
The Bruins had their way in the Vancouver end throughout the series.
Another key: the Vancouver power-play was just putrid.
And history was made: Vancouver became the first Canadian team to lose the Cup on home ice in Game 7.
And Boston became the first team to win three Game 7s – coming back from 0-2 twice.
What the heck, we didn’t really want Chris Higgins and Maxim Lapierre to get their names on the Cup, right?
Let history record that Boston toughest challenge, en route to the Cup, was beating your Montreal Canadiens.
Three OT losses, including Game 7.
Habs against the Cup finalists this season: 9-6.
We’ll cry all summer long.
And props to the Vancouver fans, who took time out from heartbreak to boo the stuffing out of Gary Bettman.
And showed class by cheering Tim Thomas.

1. Batalla says:

Well I personally think the Bruins deserved the Cup. They may be our bitter rivals, but they played hard and made sure that Vancouver had no free rides. So congratulations to them. Plus, it could be worse… It could have been Toronto!

To those that say there is a conspiracy, I really have to question that. Even if there is (and that’s a big IF by the way), that doesn’t effect how the Bruins played. The refs either let things go or at least evened it up. If there was a conspiracy, I think the penalties would have been slightly more lopsided. And the refs had no bearing on how easy Tim Thomas made it look.

And I agree with the shout-out… Tim Thomas was amazing. And it blows my mind that he is not up for the Hart.

At least this way, we don’t have to hear from CBC and TSN about Vancouver being the team we should all love anymore.

On to the draft! How many sleeps until puck drop?

• EricInStL says:

Yup my thoughts exactly. CBC was beating the Nucks into our skulls. Aurghhhh

I am enjoying seeing the cops beating some fake nucks fan. FAIL

2. 100HABS says:

Who believes the Bruins would have won this series had the officiating been more like the regular season and most of the rest of the playoffs?

I believe that the NHL (and C. Campbell) intentionally gave this cup to USA (Boston) over Canada (Vancouver).

In Bettman’s mind, it is a better marketing strategy.

• SeriousFan09 says:

VAN mailed this series in when they were on Boston’s ice and that’s what ended it. Officiating may not have been very good, but the Canucks screwed themselves over on this one, couldn’t pump a puck past Thomas or even try really hard to for most of the series.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• EricInStL says:

I think it was a bunch of factors:
        1) Vigneault was outcoached by Julien, wow.
        2) Burrows disappearing after the Lucic finger incident
        3) The team not having confidence in Luongo after a goal, a bit like Price 2 years ago
        4) The Vancouver Defense was decimated
        5) And the Canucks as a whole did not pushing back, they should have used Torres more like Julien used Thornton. To disrupt.

All in all next year Vigneault has a short rope and will be fired at the first losing streak. As for Julien, he might be like Jean Perron.

• 100HABS says:

I agree the Canucks were short on push-back and high on diving. But still, the Bruins should have had more penalty calls.

In game 6, at 4-1, the Canucks were pressing and seemed poised for a come-back. Two (yes, 2) quick penalties and the wind was taken from their sails.

Bettman/Campbell decided this series.

• Batalla says:

How did he do that exactly? Do you think he injured Hammy? Do you think that Rome was that key a player that his suspension cost the ‘Nucks?

Whether Chara should have got suspended or not. Whether Ference was a douche or not. All of this doesn’t add up to an automatic Cup win. Vancouver had it in their sights. And I doubt a memo came from on-high to throw the game!

• 100HABS says:

There is a line drawn where a penalty is called and where it isn’t. The line in this series was on the most “robust” side as any series I’ve seen since the 80′s. Moving the line to that side was a clear advantage to the Bruins’ grinding team over the Canucks’ skill team.

That, my friend, is exactly how they did it.

• frozengolf says:

I agree 100%. Bettmen got his $2 billion contract with NBC and wanted no part in a Canadian team winning. Just look at all the suspension the B’s got a pass on: Chara on Pac; Ference giving his one finger salute in Montreal; Horton suqirting the fan; and don’t forget the extra harsh suspension on Rome when he hit a Bruin! Conspiracy!

• MontrealAtheist says:

It’s not Bettman’s fault that Luongo choked and the Twins were reduced to their ineffective feminine selves last night.

3. Frank2468 says:

I was so disgusted with the no show again tonight that as soon as the game came to an end I immediately turned off the T.V. I couldn’t stomach watching Chara hoist the cup. If memory serves there were 2 lock outs 2004 and the 2010 2011 season right? Well the Boston Bettman Campbell Bruins got what they wanted, no cup in Canada. After all it’s the American market that sells the game right? I know this would never happen but I would love to have an us versus them in the NHL. Meaning if your Canadian born you have to play for one of the now 7 Canadian teams and all 7 teams have to be made up of Canadian born players and the all the US teams have to have American players, and of course European players can play for whom ever they wanted Canadian or American team. Well one can only dream because I’d love to see how many American teams win the cup without Canadian born players on their roster?

Like bad gas this too shall pass

• MontrealAtheist says:

How many of those Canadian-born players in US teams also have US citizenship? The distinction between “us” and “them” becomes somewhat blurry when so many players are holding both citizenships.

4. otter649 says:

Way to go refs spoiling the game with no pentalty calls early in the game & then finally make a call late in the second period and a couple of weak calls later on. If these refs are The NHL’s best then the league is in trouble……

5. Marc10 says:

Thanks for a great year of hockey HIO gang and Dr Boone.

I will now go slip on the proverbial pair of PJs, put on the Celine Dion CD my wife keeps around, down a tub of Ben & Jerry’s and cry myself to sleep in the foetal position.

F…

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

6. Mattyleg says:

Pah!
    A couple cars burnt and some ‘fistfights’?!
    Call that a Stanley Cup Riot, Vancouver??

Puh-leeeeeeeze.

I was there in ’93, saw a whole lotta crazy, and got smacked around by the riot police while trying to wait for a bus under those funky old shelters in front of the Forum.

Grow a pair, Vancouver! Do it properly!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. CHsam says:

Really a worse case scenario for the Canucks. I don’t know how they’re going to move forward from here.

8. gmd says:

I live in downtown Vancouver and some vehicles have been set on fire and the cops are in their riot gear.

9. ths says:

Thanks Booner and all of you at HIO for a great season.
    You made me a hockey fan and a Habs fan again.
    And thanks to the great community here.
    Love ya boys and girls <3 <3

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

10. dre1744 says:

Vancouver will get the Stanley cup this summer after all….. when Lucic takes it there to party!!!!!!!

11. Habbu says:

Thanks Mike….you are our brother…

12. Bill says:

Hats off to the Bruins. They won and nothing else matters – not even the Jacobs-Bettman love-in or the Campbell Connection. Tim Thomas is a deserving Smythe (and Vezina) winner. I can’t say I would want Marchand or Lucik or Ference or Recchi on my team, but congrats to the rest of the Bruins roster, even that dirty **** Chara, who when he is not maliciously breaking the necks of vulnerable players is an impressive player.

That Luongo contract is looking pretty bad right about now, right? Makes me feel a little better about Gomez :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

I do not recognize this “victory” as legitimate.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

14. rdhabsfan says:

At least it wasn’t the Leafs.

• Steven says:

I’d honestly prefer the Leafs to win over those Bruins.

• CranbrookEd says:

Oh my . . . can’t believe that I am in agreement . . . after this season against the Goons, the Maple Laughs actually climbed one notch . . . though one notch up still keeps them in the the abyss along with the dastardly Boston team . . .

CranbrookEd
        Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

• Un Canadien errant says:

The leafs are insignificant. In my lifetime they have never mattered. Any rivalry between us and them is manufactured by the Toronto media.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

15. Neutral says:

we can say what we want, the cup belongs to Boston till some
    other team wins it. their management built a stanley cup team something the Habs have not been able to do as of yet, so we’ll just have to sit back and see what happens 2011-2012.

Have a good summer everyone.

16. EricInStL says:

Thanks Vancouver, you’re making people forget the Montreal Riots, at least we riot when we win. FAIL.

17. Rob D says:

I have never been surer that a team was done after one goal more times in one series than I was with Vancouver. Absolutely no push back ability. Granted, the officiating was from the 70`s (even high sticks to the face were met with indifference from the officials) and that greatly impacted the series. but Van City probably should have been swept or lost in 5 games. They were that bad as a team. Wouldn’t want to be Luongo for the next 5 years or so..he’ll never live this down.

I never have liked the Sedins..but respected their obvious abilities. After this effort, I don’t think my respect for them will grow past the “grudging”.

I would give many draft picks for Ryan Kesler. He should hold his head high because he gave everything he had. One suspects that the Sedins have plenty of energy left and I would suggest they use it to get the heck out of Dodge City..gonna be a while before they are the golden boys again out west.

Boston..my preseason pick to win the Cup. I have never been unhappier to be right in my life! ..lol..

18. Mike D says:

Thanks Boone for all the live game blogs. Very entertaining and I enjoyed them a lot.

- Honestly yours

19. slychard says:

Let’s face it the Canukleheads didn’t show up on their ice for game 7 of the Stanley cup. They should be ashamed of themselves.

20. Going back to the Habs – Bruins round 1 series. Whn the Habs were up 2-0, Bruins fans were asking for Juliens resignation. Looks like Claude Julien has a job for nex season

READ, RESEARCH AND WRITE ARTICLES ONLINE

21. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Now everyone in the world know’s what a choker Luongo is. He’s not so hot when he doesn’t have team Canada in front of him.

22. JasonM says:

Riots ongoing in Vancouver… first time all night someone in a Canuck jersey showed some fight.

• since1988 says:

looks like G20 fans confronting police in riot gear

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
      - Mathieu Darche

• since1988 says:

and apparently ppl are pulling down street signs and stuff in Boston now too

- Mathieu Darche

23. D Mex says:

My friggin oath !

Scott Thornton interviewed on-ice (HNIC) and introduces his father :
    - ” This is my old man, Mark, and uh … ”

Gregory Campbell also interviewed on-ice and talks about his father :
    - ” We couldn’t have done it without him … ”
    Truer words …

And, finally, papa Campbell being interviewed with his Bruins son.
    Wearing a non-descript dark coat.
    Because, wearing a non-descript dark coat fools us.
    And, making what just might be the quote of the season :
    - “Winning this makes it ALL worth it. ”

Amen.

Thank you, Gary Buttman, for turning OUR game into a circus.
    Shame on you.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

24. habsfan1144 says:

Hey Boone,

I FINALLY registered and can post on this site … so I’m ready for the season!!!

What…. What did I miss????

25. DEANDALLEY says:

Tim Thomas is far from Class ….

• Caballero says:

hard to be classy when you are a Bruin; it’s kind of like: join the Devils, you play the trap, join the habs, speed and talent, Bruins, you have to be “big and bad”

Still, he does compete like a mutha I will give him that.

26. Bill J says:

Dear H I/O, please make this thread the last one, about anything non Habs for a while. Was like torture coming here lately.

27. VancouverHab says:

PS: Oh, and down goes “Down Goes Brown” — major prediction fail.

28. showey47 says:

There is nhl parity in its finest form. The difference between winning the cup and losing in a first round match up in game 7 in overtime can be one fortunate bounce.

29. since1988 says:

That sucked but there is nothing you can do about it

- Mathieu Darche

30. Mullie01 says:

Currently listening to: 99% Of Us Is Failure – Matthew Good. Need some more drinks…

31. habs11s says:

I think what is the most infuriating for me is the ‘fringe fans’ of the Bruins confessing their undying love for them…

_____________________________________________________________

Anybody who thinks the NHL is the elite or that we NHL fans are witnessing the most exciting and best hockey entertainment should take a look at this video. The NHL is mediocre. There are no great teams. Everyone is equal. Mundane.

International hockey is the best and I also believe that the level of play in the European and Russian leagues is superior to what the NHL produces.

Tonight hockey loses.

Here is the good news. Next season the Bruins will be toast by the time the season ends. The Habs will win the NE division.

Excuse while I go throw up.

• Duracell3 says:

Kovalev’s goal against the US in the 2004 World Cup is still in my opinion the greatest goal of all time.

ZSC Lions beat a Chicago Blackhawks team that went on the same year to win the cup, and if memory serves was only Missing Hossa. The hawks dominated, but the point is the difference is very small now.

33. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

in other news hell just froze over.

34. Steven says:

When I was talking with my buddies earlier today, I remember talking about how devastated I would be if the Canucks lost.

You know what? I just don’t care right now.

That game was terrible, the series was terrible, and the season as a whole was pretty bad. The Bruins don’t deserve any of what they got, but whatever, they won. I’m glad Thomas and Seguin get a Ring, at least.

This season, I just can’t comment on it. Went south with the Pacioretty injury, and became downright disgusting as soon as the playoffs started.

So, whatever. If our Habs were good enough to beat the Cup Champs(They would’ve won if that Kelly goal was properly disallowed, and that’s what I’m sticking with), we’re not far from the promised land.

Habs for the Cup in 2012!

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…at the time, I wasn’t happy Julien fired by Our Habs …he looks good holdin’ the Cup though
    …calm, plodding, experienced, and at times quite brilliant guiding the Booins through this season

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

36. I have one word to describe this game for the Canucks….PATHETIC
    Don’t blame Luongo. Where was the Sedins and the Canucks offence. How could you NOT score a goal on the final game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs at your own building?

I have one word to describe this game for the Bruins…{Would like to say Congrats}, but something serious wrong occured seeing Chara hoist the Cup. It will be a long summer for this habs fans, but its comforting to know that the Habs are one team that can beat the Bruins.
    I am happy though for Mark Recchi who possibly played in his last NHL game.
    Until next year,…

READ, RESEARCH AND WRITE ARTICLES ONLINE

37. TomNickle says:

Jagr will be a Hab tomorrow by the way.

38. PrimeTime says:

Who wants to bet the NHL schedules our Habs for the 1st Bruins home game?

• terrier92 says:

Bruins season ticket holder since 1977. No better opponent than the Habs for that game. I can now watch the 79 game 7. The pain still there yet the hockey Gods have exorcised that demon from my soul.

Go Bruins

39. TomNickle says:

US open starts tomorrow morning at 10am eastern time.

40. smiler2729 says:

For the first time in my 46 years, I didn’t watch the end of a final and didn’t see the Cup get handed to the winner… I’m not watching an undeserving team celebrate.

So that’s it, my hatred for anything Bruins has skewed me right. Yeah, BC Lions vs Calgary Stamps pre-season is so much better than that crap.

F*CK BOSTON.

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

• habsfan1144 says:

You Sir are my new HERO.

I did exactly the same thing, except I am a “only” 44! :)

Heck watching Calgary hoist the cup on our ice in 1989 was only thing worse than this fiasco!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll split the difference at 45, and I switched channels after the empty-netter. I thought I saw Marchand taunting the Vancouver fans after, but an Ottawa friend informs me he was actually celebrating with Bruins fans in the stands. Either way Marchand is a despicable rat.

———————————
        “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

41. Chuck says:

The only good thing about this is that next season we’ll be able to take pleasure in knocking off the winners of the Stanley Cup.

42. D Mex says:

Maclean interviews Chara on the ice :

RM : Congratulations Zdeno …
    ZC : Thanks, it’s an honour …
    RM : So, Zdeno, about the two backs you guys broke this season … oh, sorry to interrupt … Hey ! Nathan Horton – get over here buddy !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

43. Big Ted says:

Wow look at that shot of Colin Campbell grinning away. Sure, he’s entitled to be happy for his son, but if you’re so obviously pleased by the Bruins success then it just goes to show he should have had no business in a job that should have been completely impartial and objective.

44. hansolo says:

@BsFanforLife..

Congratulations. You have come here and have participated in discussions in a reasoned and reasonable manner. Enjoy your championship. See you in October.

I’m too emotional right now to extend congratulations to all members of your team and all your fellow fans, even though I know I probably should; I can only do that for some of them.

45. EricInStL says:

Daddy is happy. All is good, blahhhhhh

46. TomNickle says:

Can’t believe some of you are actually watching still. I will not subject myself to seeing Zdeno Chara hoist the Cup or Cam Neely celebrating.

On a trade market note. The Bruins did acquire a ton of players around the deadline. I think the price tag on rentals just went up.

47. VancouverHab says:

I’m in ecstasy — it would have been INTOLERABLE to live here had the Canuckleheads done the impossible and actually won (no way).

Here’s my first (of a million repetions of) “See I Told You So”s.

1.] The Sedin sisters are, will be and were (right from draft day) too soft — WAY too soft — to ever win a Stanley Cup.
    2.] Luongo will ALWAYS choke when it matters
    3.] Gillis is an almost incomprehensibly inept — surreally inept — GM for his contract disasters. Paying Luongo a trillion dollars a year until…what, doomesday? Guinness Book of World Records stupid.

I can now breathe easy and wear my Habs jersey for the next week around here.

48. Chuck says:

Tomas Kaberle. Stanley Cup winner. Let that sink in a little.

49. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, people. Time to go bed. Season’s over. We start planning for 2011-12 tomorrow morning.
    I want everybody back here by 9. Bring your line combos, draft picks, free agent signings, player deals, coaching changes, exercise programs. Anything you got to make the team better. We’re counting on you.
    The mongols have seized control of the palace. We’re the only ones who can evict them.

50. habs11s says:

If those 2 teams are the best the NHL has to offer….. I think I might have to start watching the AHL or maybe even the KHL

_____________________________________________________________

51. slychard says:

Chara the headhunter lifting the cup. This truly is a dark day for the NHL.

52. D Mex says:

POS Buttman – ” honoured ” to present the Cup to Boston.
    No $#!t

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

53. Lafrich says:

Chara yelling is too much.

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Chara …Slavic exhuberance …gag !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

…standing booooooo for Bettman …haha
    …We ‘love’ him as much as you do …haha

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

56. G-Man says:

In the spirit of good sportsmanship displayed by this season so-called champs, I wish them nothing but ill fortune. To be specific, I wish them all the crosschecks to the face they deserve and concussions and broken bones that go with it.
    Buck the fruins.

57. EricInStL says:

His honor ??????

58. slychard says:

It’s so embarrassing to see Bettman get booed everywhere he makes an appearance. He deserves everyone of thoose booes

59. punkster says:

And Buttman drowned out again. Excellent.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

60. ZepFan2 says:

The Canucks legacy:

1994- the Rangers win the cup after a 54 year drought.

2011- Boston Bruins win the cup after a 40 year drought

Moral of the story. If you’re a team that’s hasn’t won the cup in a few decades, just play the Canucks.

At least we’re still the last Canadian team to win the cup!

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

61. TomNickle says:

Pacioretty, Markov and Gorges. Not saying the Habs would have won the cup. But there’s no way in hell Boston would have beaten them with those three in the lineup.

• LL says:

The day Chara took Max out, is the day they started towards winning the Cup.

• SeriousFan09 says:

That was the day, Chara escaped on aggrevated assault and took out the guy who had been terrorizing Boston, than they got away with it and just started pushing what they were allowed to do more and more.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Tony McLean says:

Yep it turned out to be the difference maker. He did more in his shortened season than Sakless Koivette did in over a decade. The kid’s got it in spades.

• TomNickle says:

Calling somebody sakless on the internet where they aren’t in a position to respond is sackless.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Saku Koivu captained a nation with about 1/6th of Canada’s population to 3 Olympic Medals (and won another one as a 19-year old in ’94), captained Silver and Bronze finishes in the IIHF and a Silver in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey. He was a Tournament All-Star in the Turin Olympics and the top scorer that year as well.

He played on bad knees for most of his career, led Montreal through multiple playoff runs as their best player, came back with his best career season after nearly losing his EYE the previous year and never complained ONCE about the inferior talent he was expected to drag along with him. The man had all the heart in the world for this team and gave us all he had, best man to embody the spirit of the CH in the last 15 years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Mike D says:

Wonderful response, Robert. May I just add:

Of all the players who have worn the CH and not won a Stanley Cup, none of them is more deserving of winning it than Saku Koivu.

- Honestly yours

• Mike D says:

What an absolutely idiotic comment. While I’m all for giving props to Max-Pac, doing so while disparaging Saku considering all he did for Montreal (team AND city) is beyond the realms of stupid.

Saku is all heart, and all class.

You could learn something from him.

- Honestly yours

62. punkster says:

Wow. Buttman drowned out by the boos.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

63. PrimeTime says:

Bettman…LOL Best part of the night!

64. EricInStL says:

I won my playoff POOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can go back to hating the Bruins…finally

65. Caballero says:

Congrats to the Bruins, and to Thomas especially. Mr. Gauthier, I hope you were watching these last games and devising ways to make our team better.

66. Propwash says:

Thanks for everything Boone! Hope next year, the Habs will be in this position on the winning side.

67. slychard says:

Thomas deserves the cup. Only class act on that team

68. mb says:

Wow ‘nucks, talk about a way to let your fans down!

69. Habitant in Surrey says:

…nuthin’ to be ashamed about …a larnin’ experience for next season
    …props to the GREAT Canucks’ fans
    …to any Booins fans …the Habs will kick your butts next year …so enjoy while it lasts !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

70. PrimeTime says:

No classier athletes than hockey players!

71. Muckbringer says:

Im sorry, what did i miss? oh, nothing happened. la, la, la, la

72. Un Canadien errant says:

I turned the TV off after watching Marchand taunting the Vancouver fans. What a mob of classless a**holes the Bruins are.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

73. AK_PK_Usay says:

Ill say this, Vancouver fans are great, the “go Cannucks go” was quite something. They’re good sports, the players should be ashamed.

74. kempie says:

Well **** my ****. Send in the trolls.
    Markov signed yet?

75. slychard says:

I take that back. Too harsh. Oh well. But I hope Ratchand gets his next season.