41 saves.

Any questions?

1. JF says:

Agree on all points.

2. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

3. HabsMitch says:

Johnson is pretty great IMO

4. Les-Habitants says:

I’ve had this game circled for a while.  Next to the Caps, I think Philly is the most dangerous team in the East.  Their one weakness, goaltending, has been remarkably steady thanks to the play of their rookie netminder.

Philly is a big, tough team.  They are a team built specifically for the playoffs.  We are a fast, smart, gritty team.  This will be a great test, and I think both teams (especially with the accumulating playoff history over the last 2 years) will get up for this one.

Looking forward to it.

5. AH says:

So agree Timo, he is quietly one of the dirtier players in the league!

6. AH says:

IMHO, THIS is the test of the season. I still believe that had we faced the Bruins last year instead of Philthydelphia, we would have been in the finals and would have given the Blackhawks a run for their money. I believe we have a fast skating, skilled team that can hang with anyone in this league over a 7 game series with one exception: this Flyer Scum; hard to admit but they have it all, size, grit, toughness AND skill. The only thing they lack is goaltending, but Detroit proved for years you don’t need a world class goalie to win. I know last year we just played two 7 game series before meeting them, but they simply mauled us over 5 games, it wasn’t their skill that beat us but their grit. I think it’s going to be these guys again who stand between us and the cup final and we need to get bigger and tougher to handle these brutes over 7 games. I know a lot of you disagree about the size thing, but in April it’s the tough, gritty hockey that succeeds, and those are the things we don’t have right now.

Tonight is the acid test; if we get mauled, pushed around and beat, then unless mgmt. brings in/up the required players to increase our “truculence” level then the ECF or less is as far as I can see us getting if we meet Philly again. If we win tonight, great!, it will send a bit of a message to them saying “we’re ready for you”, but I still won’t be convinced this present group can handle them over 7 games. As of now I think Philly will win the East again, BUT if we add the required toughness to push them back, then I feel we have a very legitimate shot at number 25!….rose colored glasses perhaps, but just my opinion.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

More like a slewfoot or an elbow, Pronger doesn’t fight, he just gives out cheap shots.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. MikeMcLaren says:

Only if he was going to play the PP like Chara does – in front of the net.

9. GrimJim says:

But Fergie could play: two 20 goal seasons, 7 of 8 seasons with 15 goals or more, 303 points in 500 games played, and yes 1200 PIM. That’s not a Derek Boogaard, Ivan Raitias, Dan Carcillo or Bob Probert; that’s a productive third line winger.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?

10. Fansincebirth says:

He’s growing the ‘stache for Mo-vember, I think. (started it Nov 1st)

11. Batalla says:

Jokes?!?  Is that allowed here?  I thought Habs fans were ultra serious…  I am so confused…

12. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Running Pronger doesn’t sound like a great idea. Actually sounds a bit like a coupon for a knuckles sandwich and a mouth full of bloody chicklets for dessert. He would be great in a Habs Jersery.

13. spoonfullofjelly says:

Price needs to get the moustache. He’s playing good, and looks slightly more french,

14. andrewberkshire says:

Jack Johnson is pretty terrible. Especially when contrasted with his teammate Drew Doughty.

15. PrimeTime says:

Uh…NO! Skill and speed over truculence. Let the other team pley shorthanded.

16. PrimeTime says:

My hope list for tonight in no particular order…

1. As always. I’m hoping for a good game and a win

2. I hope JM wins the “chess match”

3. I hope we play a similar smart and opportunistic game as we did against a hot Canuck team

4. I hope P.K. stays playing within himself and doesnt’ try to make up for Markov absence

5. I hope the PP continues to roll

6. I hope for NO major injuries

7. I hope Price continues to keep the trolls quiet

Should be a good one!

17. Chorske says:

That is the first time this has ever been said on HIO.

18. Chorske says:

True enough- but even two years ago the Flyers were eminently beatable, mostly because their D was so brutally slow, and their grinder game couldn’t contain creative speedy forwards.

These days, their goaltending seems to have stabilized, Pronger seems to have settled down their defense (I think I just barfed a bit in my mouth), and they are always a threat up front. So they are a very different team from a couple years ago.

That said, Price is on a mission.

19. Chorske says:

Flyers PP is chugging along at around 30%.

Running Briere is roughly equivalent to tossing a three-sided coin, and hoping it doesn’t come up heads.

Besides, aren’t there worse guys on this team of gooners and clutchers and grabbers? Like Pronger? ANd would it not be better to simply beat them in regulation instead of stooping to bush league garbage?

Come on.

20. thebigguy says:

Why are fans being held to the same standard as a scout? It’s a scouts job to assess talent and project who will be the best player, not mine. If I go to a ncie restaurant and the foods crap, I blame the chef. If his response was “I’d like to see you try and and prepare lobster this way,” it’d be rediculous.

If we’re asking our scouts to have the same level of hockey knowledge as the denizens of HIO, David Fisher won’t be our last crappy pick.

21. Chorske says:

What utter horsecrap.

22. thebigguy says:

Taken before Price? You mean Crosby, Ryan, Johnson and Pouliot? I’m reasonably confident that Pittsburgh, LA (who traded for him) and Anaheim are reasonably confident with those picks.

Sometimes people have good points and just taken them far past their logical conclusions…

23. DearyLeary says:

& Pleks, & Cammalleri… &… oh dear… hahaha.

The Flyers have been riding high, here’s hoping it’s time to bring them back down to earth.  I have a feeling we’ll come out hungry with players hoping to prove they can be just as good without Marky.

24. yathehabsrule says:

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

25. CharlottetownHabbies says:

I really wish we could have a player who would pull some of that.  One flaw, of many, with the marketing of this team is that we are too “above” that.  Even as fans, too many look down their noses at what the other 29 teams seem to realize is part of the deal.  There have to be more than 10 of us fans who wish we had a player who could grab whoever he wanted from the other team and exact vengence whenever it was required. The league doesn’t do it for us, doesn’t seem like management is too concerned either.

Let’s start to extoll the virtues of a modern day John Ferguson.

26. yathehabsrule says:

Would you rather Hal Gill, over Picard?

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

Yes but now we know what either end of the spectrum looks like.

28. yathehabsrule says:

Robert, is your email hacked? Been getting some weird ones, that I just delete, lately.

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

29. avatar_58 says:

It’s that douchey moustache that does it

30. MikeL says:

Especially if he scores and does his douchebag fist pump.

31. Robert L says:

You’re putting up too much thought and intelligence proportionate to the idiot spurring these comments.

32. Fansincebirth says:

I’m with you Timo.

Just as he’s pulling one of his little junior hockey moves after scoring (assuming the little puke will score) someone crushes his punk a$$ face into the boards!!!!

33. DearyLeary says:

Can’t say I’d be too upset about it.

34. nick says:

Game time decision only to announce he’s hurt tomorrow, end of week or something like that…

I really hope someone smokes Briere tonight – legally or otherwise.

Philly will probably try to keep Carter’s status under wraps as long as possible.

37. sidhu says:

Justin Beiber?

38. DearyLeary says:

I’d go even further to say that it was also a really weak draft year, but we can really only assess the success of drafts in hindsight.  Players picked before Fischer: Mark Mitera (ANA), Trevor Lewis (LAK), Ty Wishart (SJ), Riku Helenius (TB), Michael Grabner (VAN).  All teams who have been featured prominently at the top of the league this year.  None of those players have had a prominent role in the NHL, some haven’t even played a game.  After the first few picks things get chaotic for a reason, everyone sees different upsides to different players.

Also of note that year, that Jonathan Toews was picked #3 overall.  Knowing what we know now, is there any doubt that he would have been the preferable choice to Jordan Staal or Erik Johnson?  No offense to both of those players, they’re going to be very good NHLers in their own right, but Toews is an elite center very early in what will probably be a long career.

In fact, Montreal has had a very good record of selecting picks that make it to the NHL, I remember reading an article that put us in the top 5 or so.  You also have to take into account that our only top 5 pick for years has been Carey Price.

In short, a draft is a snapshot, it’s a static event.  You have a team of scouts who evaluate talent, and how they believe that talent will project in four or five years.  Sometimes people get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.  Sitting around bitching about players we missed out on is a worthless exercise.

39. Exit716 says:

Timmins draft record is horrible.

40. habsruleworld says:

Thanks 24Cups,

will keep searching, although expect if nothing was released, Carter is probably fine

hrw – Carcillo is out for two weeks (which is fine by me) but I can’t find out anything about Carter.

42. temekuhabs says:

Yup, Timo, go to the net, with your stick on the ice!

43. andrewberkshire says:

St. Louis is great, easily an elite player. But he’s also getting old. Giroux is a bit more dynamic now I’d say.

44. habsruleworld says:

Carcillo and Carter both seemed to go down with knee injuries in last night’s game.

First Carcillo, looked bad, and than Carter  near end of game,

I did not notice either player return to the game,

does anyone have an injury update on these 2 players?

Go Habs Go

45. avatar_58 says:

Yeah? How about in the 2011 draft you pick someone? Choose anyone the habs could draft. Then in 3 or 4 years we’ll see whether you were right or whether you busted. That’s the draft – picking between those who have hot streaks and those who will develop into stars. Not everyone is Crosby

46. avatar_58 says:

Oh whatever, what about all the teams that could have had Subban? How about the ones ahead of us who could have had Price right now? Plekanecs?

We aren’t the only ones who have duds

47. TB says:

was hoping with Philly playing last night they would be really tired especially their “D” unfortunately only 1 forward played more than 20 min last night and no defenseman played over 20min – looks like the bench was well managed

48. DearyLeary says:

I’m sure you don’t understand the first thing about the entry draft.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban with 1 more goal and 2 more assists than 2nd overall pick from 2007 James Van Riemsdyk by PHI and hasn’t had his butt in the press box this season.

I’m just saying…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

50. Exit716 says:

In the salary cap world, teams can’t afford to have their head scout draft some Minnesota “project” that doesn’t even warrant a contract offer at the end of his college career.

Terrible selection.

51. Hockey Socks says:

Love the forwards, but Spacek-Picard could be a disaster.

52. Hockey Socks says:

Haha, bitter much?

53. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Are we talking about Chris Douchebag?

54. Exit716 says:

I’m sure David Fischer will do just fine against Giroux tonight.

55. punkster says:

I’m copying this and pasting it in an email to myself for future reference. Not once is there a mention of an official annoiuncement or doctor’s report. Please don’t fall prey to media speculation and panic.

56. GrimJim says:

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, this is a report from CKAC, which gets its info from Sportsnet, which gets its info from Team 990 (which, if its the Marinaro report, gets it from unnamed reliable sources)? And this is the most definitive report so far…

57. habs001 says:

this is where markov will really be missed…i hope i am wrong but if the first wave does not score the second wave looks like a short handed goal can happen anytime…also it would be nice we win the draw at the start of the pp as we usually lose 30 seconds of pp as we seem to lose the draw regularly…

58. punkster says:

I said it last night. The original source of all this substantial info is the evil monkey in Tony’s closet.

The monkey knows!!!

59. Batalla says:

That depends on whether or not Mike Keenan is a secret advisor.  If so, there would be 58 goalie changes.

60. Batalla says:

Thankfully, it appears as though the days of Bulis and Moen on the PP are done.  Or at least I hope so.

Bobrovsky had decent numbers on one of the worst teams in the KHL. His KHL team’s problem is they had zero offense.

If Bobrovsky can last the season and not wither, the Flyers look like contenders. I hate them. Them making it to the finals 4 times since ’76 and losing each time is awesome. It pains me to say it but they look like the team to beat in the East this year. They are a juggernaut.

Tonight should be a great game. A true test of the system. Hopefully no one gets injured and the Flyers play hockey rather than goon it up.

62. Chorske says:

Haha, yes, very true.

Although you could say that McKenzie is clearly a fan of the current hockey culture. He’s clearly thinking  that it ain’t broke. The snide way he describes the fans (what any other business would refer to as “paying customers” or “clients”) who call for suspensions etc makes that pretty clear.

McKenzie is a total effing shill.

63. punkster says:

Two thumbs up!

64. avatar_58 says:

Thumbs up from me

65. Harani says:

Habs PP lines at practice:

1st wave: Subban-Hamrlik; Cammy-Pleks-Gionta.

2nd wave: Spacek-Picard; Pouliot-Gomez-Kostitsyn

“It must be love!”

66. MICP says:

59 past Price? I would hope Auld would be in by number 40.

67. Harani says:

No Douchebag tonight. He’s out for two weeks. You all know who I’m talking about.

“It must be love!”

68. Harani says:

I think that may have come out a bit wrong. What I meant was “that” Flyers defense is so good, he has no way of having bad stats. They’re not Carolina.

“It must be love!”

69. SeriousFan09 says:

That Flyers D dragged backup and career AHL goalies to the Cup Finals against CHI, didn’t work of course but if Bobrovsky can actually get the job done to an adequate degree with Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn, Meszaros and Carle they’ll do just fine, that’s a stacked D by any standard. Bobrovsky has not been challenged nearly enough because of what surrounds him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

70. Ali says:

“that” Flyers defense? gotta disagree here. Pronger, Timmonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros and O’Donnel is a pretty damn solid defensive core.

71. Robert L says:

Boone has to whip up the ultimate of reverse jinx potions for this one!

72. Harani says:

Tonight will be a big goalie match-up.

Bob (11-2-1 / SV% .934 / GAA 2.01) vs Price (10-5-1 / SV% .923 / GAA 2.18 )

I think with that Flyers defense in front of him, Bob has no choice but to be really good. He’s getting to job done in Philly. And Carey, we all know how good he’s been.

73. Xtrahabsfan says:

Well here is your classic Lil guy’s vs BIG GUY’S match and we know all too well how that works out in a 7 game series but one game in which the bruts played the night before? I do know this …..Some one’s gonna get beat -up and it’s not going too be the small team;)

74. punkster says:

Oh, sorry. I thought you were awake. I’ll turn off the light and come back later.