Still winless

Peterbudaj

But the Canadiens looked MUCH better than they did against Dallas.

And this was against a Buffalo team that brought most of its NHLers to the Bell Centre.

A lot to like in a kid-studded lineup.

And Max-Pac is back!

1. Neutral says:

I do believe the Habs will fear some teams this year, most teams in the eastern conference improved their team, the Habs brought in one scorer and let go two of their good defencemen, I don’t think unless yemelin and Diaz can pull it off the Habs will be as good as last year, hope I’m wrong and they win the Eastern Conference….

• Bill J says:

I think a healthy Habs team competes for top spot in the league. Injuries, for all teams is always the unknown factor.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• savethepuck says:

Don’t worry, you don’t have to hope you are wrong. You are wrong.

“They don’t hang Conference Champion Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

2. AK_PK_Usay says:

Hahaha, someone said on RDS that DD was -3, boy did they get into an UPROAR!…

But Gomez’s +- is conclusive…

Duno what koolaid some people are drinking… DD is still a rookie, he has not hit his full potential yet.

3. savethepuck says:

Since on ice practices and scrimmages started Saturday, the most common description I’ve read about Nathan Beaulieu has been ‘meh’. Well this kid’s not getting a ‘meh’ from me. Playing against a Buffalo squad that iced over 3/4 of their opening night line-up, he may of made a couple of small mistakes in the first period, but he easily corrected them. He started on the 2nd pp unit with Gorges, but by the 2nd period, he was on the 1st unit with PK. It seemed like he was on the ice every 2nd shift in the 3rd, and when you are getting that much ice time in a preseason game, it’s because the coaching staff wants to get a good look at you. Great pass to set up PK’s goal, the kid far from looked out of place out there. He’s not a 3 or 4 year project IMHO, I think he’ll be with the big boys within 2 years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Bill J says:

I don’t believe it could happen, but maybe the good look was to determine “do we keep him or return him to Saint John”

Yesterday I believed they where showcasing Weber (a hunch) due to his ice time.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• savethepuck says:

I’m from there, so it’s Saint John ( no biggie ). It was obvious to me that Weber goat all that ice time last night to see if he’s a legitimate top 6 DMan. Some of the other guys fighting for the 6th and 7th spots got a lot of time last night too. Same reason Palushaj and Enqvist got another start tonight, coming in to camp, they were favored to fight for our 13th forward spot. Don’t know if things are working out for them too well tho.

“They don’t hang Conference Champion Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Trisomy 21 says:

Ah I didn’t realize it was the Saint John seadogs.
        Anyways I don’t think Weber was being showcased, I think maybe Martin doesn’t want to experiment during the regular season, but liked what he saw late last year from the guy so now is the perfect chance to see what he can do given more responsibility.

4. DEANDALLEY says:

The Habs will fear NO team this season …

We will be great !

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

5. jo_maka says:

I hope they try Avtsin with DD once

6. rogieshan says:

Meanwhile, the last forward spot is looking like Trotter’s to lose. Both Engqvist and Palushaj have not stepped it up. I’m rooting for Blunden to be the darkhorse.

7. So using our 4th line center as our first line center we were actually competitive against a mostly complete Buffalo roster.

• Bripro says:

It certainly looks that way. I was really impressed with the two rookies,
      Beaulieu and Gallagher, just like everyone else. Gallagher was a late round draft, and WOW, he’s got moves.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Pouliot took two penalties tonight.

9. Just A Guy says:

Aside from the obvious ravings about Beaulieu and Gallagher, Subban and Patches, I thought Avstin and Dumont had some pretty solid moments, in particular I thought Avstin could have benefited with a few shifts on the 1st line, but who am I to argue. Looks like he also got dinged by a puck in the 2nd which I think hurt his ice time in the 2nd half of the game.

I’m completely underwhelmed by Palushaj and to a lesser degree Enqvist and Bishop (yes Kassian is a beast, and perhaps it was just bad luck, but when you take a run at a guy, bounce off him and get yourself hurt, its a bit dissapointing. I think he also spent a lot of the previous season hurt in Hamilton).

10. habs-hampton says:

I’ve been saying for 2 years now that Beaulieu will be the best Pro to come out of the stacked Saint John Seadogs. He will be better than Simon Depres or Jonathon Huberdeau in 3-4 years. He just has so much patience with the puck and is making fewer and fewer bad decisions with the puck as he gets older. I’m glad he’ll be back here in SJ this year for another Mem Cup run.

11. Dryden_29 says:

Hi all you good folks in Habsland,just wanted to say that I loved the effort put forth by the boys tonight…some real highlight reel plays. Just think,that was basically the Sabres starting roster and we played so strong against them. Hopefully the enthusiasm is infectious and it rolls right into the regular season.Here’s to hoping for a big season…go Habs go!!!!

12. yukonhab says:

Kid Gallagher is gonna be sweet. Montreal’s version of St Louis.

Price 31

13. Neutral says:

it’s only preseason, but this Buffalo team is gonna move up in the standings this year…gonna be a pretty good scoring team.

14. Thomas Le Fan says:

Entertaining game. Can anyone point me to a preseason roster with player numbers? Google isn’t helping and I need a program. Thanks in advance.

15. jo_maka says:

Hopefully, no one on this projected pairing in 4 yrs will be sent away:

Subban – Beaulieu
    Diaz – Yemelin
    Tinordi – ???

16. AK_PK_Usay says:

Did Asvtin get injured? Why was he pretty much benched?

Beaulieu looked better as game progressed. Tonight was the PK show though, he was more effective than the 1st line together.

the difference between 1st two games? easy, D…
    yesterday there was 1 somewhat regular WEbber, as Gill was worse than most of the rookies and clearly asleep.

Tonight, PK, easily our best Dman and probably 2nd best player after Price. Gorges, what a shutdown guy, Yemelin can learn a lot from him. Spacek, looks like he got authentic tiger blood unlike charlie sheen. He played well, I was impressed.
    Beaulieu played better as game went on. St-denis and the other dude were AWFULLLLLL

17. SeriousFan09 says:

- Beaulieu’s skating was very impressive tonight. Kept pace with NHL players very well.
    - You can see why I’m constantly in Gallagher’s camp
    - Liked the flashes from Alex Avtsin, a proper season as a 20-year old in the AHL will do him a lot of good.
    - Dumont had some solid moments.

- Pacioretty is back in to old form, doesn’t seem to be thinking about his injury, The Man Without Fear.
    - Liked Budaj
    - That Subban kid is pretty good no?
    - Gionta was in pretty good drive mode for pre-season, what the team needs from the captain.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

18. habaholic68NJ says:

How many minutes did Beaulieu play tonight? Seems like he was on the ice all night.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

19. punkster says:

Hey, the Sens beat the Bs. So does this mean their season is over?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

20. Ayan_SB says:

Beaulieu is only 18 folks. The kid’s only going to get better.

21. jo_maka says:

Bergie is being an old fart about this tonight

I am going to sit back, have a nice quiet herbal tea and watch the fireworks.

Looks like we’re in for a night of I told you so’s.

23. Bill J says:

Michel Bergeron – Chill out!

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

24. OneTimer says:

fun game! REAL excited for beaulieu, he’s like subban 2.0…too soon for that?

25. Propwash says:

Freakin’ open net….can’t stop a beachball…

26. jo_maka says:

Gallagher, Beaulieu, PK, DD, the kids are alright :)

27. daveho29 says:

Got to see Gallagher play a couple of times for the giants, would love to see this kid playing for the Habs.

28. Captain aHab says:

Moen has no business playing above the fourth line this year.

29. Captain aHab says:

Gallagher can dangle something fierce.

30. Mike D says:

Lovin Gallagher. Slick, but drives the net and wins battles despite his size.

- Honestly yours

31. Captain aHab says:

Mayer plays like Hasek but 5 feet outside of his net.

32. JohnnyBEast says:

PK and Beaulieu, the future looks nice

33. homerbowen says:

Tough to compete when you can’t score. Same problem over past 5 years we just can’t finish. Not impressed, or exited with what I have seen in these 2 games.

34. Hobie Hansen says:

Solid effort by Spacek tonight. I worry that he won’t be able to keep it up for an 82-game-season and playoff run though.

He was gassed long before the playoffs even started last season.

35. jo_maka says:

#40 is a bank heist

36. Captain aHab says:

I saw Beaulieu play against Gatineau a couple of games and he was quite obviously the best D-man out there. I wonder if he’ll go back to dominate Juniors or if they’ll bring him to Hamilton? The Seadogs will likely have a great team again this year.

37. durocher says:

40 and 76 — some pretty stuff out there

38. showey47 says:

at least JM finally got spacek away from subban on the PP

39. durocher says:

To his credit, Moen went over to say something to Kassian.

40. The real reason we’re not scoring enough is the players don’t want to hear the damn goal song.

41. Mike D says:

From the Things That Should Have Already Happened file:

Engqvist needs a power skating coach.

- Honestly yours

42. OneTimer says:

wow crazy dangle by ennis. or is it ellis. i’m confused.

also:

beaulieu looks amazing, i’ll say it again

43. Propwash says:

Commence under bus throwing….

44. Trisomy 21 says:

Are the rookie refs out too? Dumont took a high stick 4 feet away from the puck… right in front of the net.

45. durocher says:

Not a good goal to give up.. that’s a softie, folks

46. Captain aHab says:

And Mayer isn’t NHL calibre.

47. Captain aHab says:

Beaulieu is looking better and better as the game goes on.

48. jo_maka says:

Seems like we got our first cut. A game to forget for Bishop

49. Captain aHab says:

Mayer was sooooooooooooooo far out of his net.

50. Propwash says: