Still winless

Peterbudaj

But the Canadiens looked MUCH better than they did against Dallas.

And this was against a Buffalo team that brought most of its NHLers to the Bell Centre.

A lot to like in a kid-studded lineup.

And Max-Pac is back!

1. hansolo says:

I know it’s only preseason, but I hope this freewheeling, fast-paced brand of hockey finds its way, a least a little bit, into “The System.” It’s been exciting to watch, better than last night’s game, IMHO, despite the inexperienced players on the ice. This reminds me of the Chicago game towards the end of last season.

2. VancouverHab says:

“Would Gomez have made that taope-to-tape pass DD did to set up Max-Pac? Just askin’”

What is it that makes a journalist and hockey aficionado of Mr. Boone’s high calibre lose his judgement so utterly in evaluating a player?

Do we need a highlight reel to show Gomez’s history of elite-level passes? Just his game-winning-goal pass to PK last year alone puts him in the pantheon. Central scouting concludes that Gomez has Gretzky-quality vision on the ice. Does anyone in the league surpass Gomez in passing vision?

And who set up MaxPac for his late excellent points streak last year?

Yet our Lord & master at the site asks if he would have made a (to be honest) good-but-not-legendary pass?

It’s a syndrome of some kind. Because Mr. Boone is not a bigotted man, which would explain such irrationality from a different person…..

• diehardhab says:

You lost me at “Gretzky-quality vision”

The torch be yours to hold it high!

• Bill J says:

You had a good point, but ruined it when you tried to imply Gomez had the best passing vision in the league.

I agree Gomez is certainly better then DD, but better then all others in the league borders on Hab colored glasses.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• VancouverHab says:

“Extremism in defense of persecuted highly-paid centres is no
        vice” ;–)

Reads excessively I know, but Gomez is taking an unfair kicking. And when Gomez is on, his vision is right there at the top…. (not saying the same about any other aspect of his game.

• VJ says:

The way I look at it, this is a blog. It’s nice to hear what people really think, what does it really do? Stir up some hockey talk amongst fans? Reporters are fans too, let them show it once and a while. Now if the same bias slips through to the main gazette page, that’s a different story.

As for Gomez, he is creative and does have really good vision. Gretzky’esque? I would say more Janney’esque. Not sure what CS would be smoking on that one. The problem is that we don’t see very many of those beauty passes anymore, at least not many that actually get completed. That and the way he enters the attacking zone and veers off to the side every time! Desharnais on the other hand, (albeit haven’t seen him that much yet in the big leagues) seems to complete more of his passes. We’ll see how that pans out over a full season. But remember, there’s no one better between the bluelines then Gomer!

• Bill says:

“Does anyone in the league surpass Gomez in passing vision?”

Umm … yeah, probably. Probably quite a few players at this point. If Gomez is Gretzky when he passes then Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. Captain aHab says:

Wonder if they’ll ask Damphousse about beating his wife?

4. AK_PK_Usay says:

Hmm, PK looks his usual all star self.
    Gorges looks excellent, so does spacek (and you know i dont like him, but credit where its due)
    DD looks fine with pax and gionta, but thats normal, 3 actual nhlers…
    from the rest, gallagher looks mkay, astvin looks better, yet no PP time… usually the player that draws a penalty gets 2nd pp unit out of courtesy…

beaulieu for some reason gets credit on PK goal… “cos it was a risky pass” yes he missed 3-4 like that earlier tonight, its all PK…

Hope eller gets 100% fast, because NONE of the juniors, including enqwist are nhl ready, him and palushaj look awfull.

Why not play DD with Pax and Astvin more than 1 shift, we already know what gionta can do…

5. jo_maka says:

Buffalo is the most improved on paper, but I think they’ll need a little time to gel. In the last quarter of the season, they might just steamroll over everybody for the playoffs

6. Captain aHab says:

They’re trying real hard to make the Snorators sound like a good team.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Why they hate Subban in a nutshell:

They have had no idea all game how to handle his wheeling in the offensive zone and it turns in to a goal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Subban is like a young Ali, he knows he’s really good, and i hope he never changes. EVER!

I keep hearing all these old farts from other stations start a comment with “its not because he is black…” or some posters on other website “im not racist” YES YOU ARE lol… if you ever need to clarify something like that its because you know you are about to say something that is…

8. Captain aHab says:

I’m thinking Bishop might have broken his arm on the top of the boards.

9. sane hockey fan says:

Habs D looks like its going to be deep for a longgggg time

10. durocher says:

Long stretch there where we were skating around aimlessly without putting any pressure on in the offensive zone. Got a much needed energy boost from PK’s goal. Moen and young guys looking to impress should be creating some energy out there.

Homeboys Talbot and Dupuis just fought after Dupuis nailed Schenn.

• Captain aHab says:

Call-ups will be interesting this year. Palusaj isn’t looking that great but others are opening my eyes. Hadn’t seen Gallagher play but he’s like a DD clone.

11. Captain aHab says:

Can’t believe the Habs are making such a game out of it. Is it because the Habs have great depth or the Sabres aren’t as good as they are touted to be? Really liking Beaulieu…give this guy some time to season and bulk up and he’ll be special.

12. wow, Bishop just bounced right off Kassian

13. ABHabsfan says:

I think PK was the oldest one on the ice for his goal. Pre-view of the Habs 2013-14

14. jo_maka says:

As I said, pumped to see PK AND Beaulieu on the PP. Can’t believe it took this far in the game to try this pairing

15. OneTimer says:

i think i’m going to like beaulieu. he’s what, 1-2 years away?

EDIT: WOOOO yeah what a goal!!

16. Malreg says:

Wasn’t Desharnais #58 last year?

He’s wearing 51 tonight.

17. punkster says:

People here are a hoot. DD a first line centre? What you fail to grasp is that simply based on one bad Gomez season you could put a cabbage at centre on the first line and get more production than we saw from him last year. DD is not a cabbage but he is also not a first line centre. He’ll do very well on the bottom 6 playing against other bottom 6.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. ABHabsfan says:

I realize it is pre-season but I think if we could put 2 or more passes together in sequence it would enhance our chances of getting a shot on net. Not claiming to be an expert here, just an idea

19. durocher says:

Nice play by Beaulieu

Boone’s homeboy, JG, getting a rough welcome back

20. Hobie Hansen says:

I think Buffalo is going to be even better than people are expecting this year. They will challenge for top spot in the Eastern Conference.

• The Dude says:

The Sabre’s have one nice ,big and fast team this year and with a Great Coach.It’s amazing what you can turn around in the off season when you have what it takes in upper management and owners .
      Very nice goal by Subban who is by far the best player on tonight’s ice!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Except that AK46 piles up more hits in a year than Vanek does in 3. Roy, Gerbe and Ennis are by our own lovely definition “smurfs” and most of the Buffalo Top 6 forwards are average to below-average in the physical department.

Montreal having Cole, Pacioretty gives them exactly two more power forwards than they do.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

21. jo_maka says:

Nice shift for Avtsin

22. jo_maka says:

What is this spinorama festival ?

23. habaholic68NJ says:

PK. Stay on the point and shoot.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

24. I like how Lindy Ruff just told the ref what the penalty was. “2 minutes, not 4, or I’ll cut your head off”

25. SensFanSpezza says:

Instant difference between Desharnais and Gomez is D goes right up the middle on the rush so he’s got access to both wingers. Gomez cuts left and eliminates the left winger. Just that will give Desharnais more scoring chances.

• punkster says:

The difference is 4 inches, 22 pounds, 13 years experience, a couple of rings and a history of winning. The rest is speculation at this point based on a few shifts.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

amen

• HabFanSince72 says:

A remote history of winning.

• SensFanSpezza says:

I’ll give you the height and weight, but the 13 years of experience also mean he’s getting old and he’s 4 years away from a 70 point season. His history of winning was courtesy of a stacked Devils team. He wasn’t exactly the reason for those Cups. Desharnais will kill himself to win and I don’t think Gomez feels that way anymore. But it’s speculation.

• VancouverHab says:

Amen — and add a Calder trophy to that list.

• VancouverHab says:

Mr. Berkshire:

Kudos to you — I’ll buy you a virtual drink. Not Gomez boostrerism, but rather calm honest reason that clears away the overgrowth of excess.

If you sustain this sôphrosunê through what I trust will be a renown future career of writing, that characteristic (which I myself find all-but impossible to attain) will mark your legend. You had the same with your treatise on goons…)

(I encountered sôphrosunê, and felt its sweet air, last week at the centre-left online journal slate.com, where William Saletan came to the same type of defense as you did to Gomez but of Pat Robertson, for his remark about marriage to someone who has total Alzheimer’s. Saletan dislikes (intensely) Robertson’s social, religious and political positions, but had the grace to react against partisan attacks, and the high character and clear mind to recognise when his enemy, Robertson, had made a reasonable and humane remark.

Perhaps you, as Saletan, both have an instinct to distrust a mob mentality.

Anyway, keep up the good work: I’ve bookmarked heotp (not liking twitter…)

• habpunk says:

and the difference is also not showing up for 2 years and stealing 7 mil from your employer.

• clubdehockey says:

I don’t get it. Moen is taller, bigger, has more experience, and more Cup rings than Desharnais. I wouldn’t give Moen DD’s spot, and nor would you.

Comment on the recent gameplay of DD and Gomez. I’d say, based on the most recent evidence, they are at least comparable, no? If Gomez falters in his position like he did last year, should DD not be given a chance to show that maybe he can play better at Gomez’s position?

26. SeriousFan09 says:

I am starting to think people have a very twisted belief of the requirements of being able to play as a Top 6 C in the NHL looking at all these calls for DD to be No. 2 this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• If you look like you’re trying hard, you should get the job!

• clubdehockey says:

Okay, so what are those requirements and how does Gomez fulfill them better than DD?

Look, I don’t think DD will or should start off at the Number 2 position at the beginning of this season. I do think that IF Gomez doesn’t pick up his game and sucks just as badly as he did last year, DD should at least get a shot at playing that position. Last year, no matter how badly Gomez did, JM refused to give some one else a shot at #2 to see what they could do. I don’t think that’s the best way to stimulate competition for one’s role, and therefore not the best way to ensure everyone is playing to their maximum potential.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gomez is going to get another shot, as he should. And yeah, I’d say he has 30 games to prove he belongs there before Desharnais moves in and gets more ice time.

Desharnais has been playing with more jump than Gomez ever has ( in a Habs jersey) since his call up from Hamilton last year.

It will be interesting to see if Gomez has it in him to at least get back to the 55-65 point range because I think if Desharnais was given his ice time he could reach that level.

• VancouverHab says:

“…with more jump than Gomez ever has…” That perfectly encapuslates the attitude here at H-IO toward The Latest Bright Shiny Thing–which right now happens to be DD.

I like DD just fine, and it’s good to be happy about his play, but this is just extreme. Gomez was the gold standard for jump in his early seasons…when he won, you know, a CALDER TROPHY based on that.

Be reasonable.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I should have said ” In a Habs jersey”.

Like I said in my original statement, Gomez did have it in him, lets see if he can get back to where he once was.

• clubdehockey says:

The difference is, Gomez is on the decline in his career whereas DD is on the rise. No?

• SeriousFan09 says:

The ability to play against Top-6 competition, which he has not readily demonstrated as of yet.

Was Gomez crap last season? Yes but his body of work as a Top-6 C so heavily outweighs DD’s that it’s not funny. He has scored 50A 4x in the NHL, that’s more than Vincent Lecavalier, who is a perpetual wet dream for some to be MTL’s Big Centre.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• HabFanSince72 says:

There is only one requirement to play top 6 C in the NHL: to be one of the two best centres on your team.

27. jo_maka says:

Well, gentlemen! I think we got ourselves a real backup netminder :)

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Brunet was OK. Sure he wasn’t a very good hockey commentator. He was alright though. Not very good – just OK. Seemed like a nice guy. Is that such a crime?

29. durocher says:

Jan Bulis needs to man up there instead of fall down for no reason

30. Propwash says:

I’m thinking Gomez got injured due to the collective will of us Habs fans…

31. Miller read that play perfectly.

32. sane hockey fan says:

nice stretch pass by st denis

33. jo_maka says:

Still hope to see more from Avtsin

34. SensFanSpezza says:

If Subban’s not a bit more careful he’s going to get hurt in a nothing preseason game. Somebody needs to tell him this isn’t the Cup finals.

35. durocher says:

Our PP makes baby pandas cry

36. jo_maka says:

PP on team B a little tentative though

37. lemess says:

That Spacek kid looks good – we should give him a shot at the bigs.

I can not bring in 990, I click onto listen live, and nothing?????

39. samTHEman says:

Price hasn’t made a F!!@#($in save yet…trade him!

40. durocher says:

Shelley got beaten by Rosehill in a long bout

41. Let’s wait till Gomez plays in the regular season, before naming Desharnais the 2nd line center. I don’t feel anything wrong with Desharnais improving and playing out of his mind. But it’s hard to ignore Gomez’s skill set and experience. Gomez is coming off his worst season in his career. He usually puts up 50-60 points for sure. He deserves one more shot this season.

• punkster says:

Look kid, I like ya a lot. But I ain’t goin’ to bat for ya when ya stick yer neck out like that, ya know?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• topher5468 says:

Well, I have to agree with that, I just hope Gomez comes through. If not, give DD a shot if he continues to earn it

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• LA Loyalist says:

Sigh. It’s one thing to have a bad year when the puck’s not going in, or whatever. You work harder on the other things.

But when you float around the neutral zone like you’re looking for a street number, hit the back of peoples’ skates with your passes, and think checking is flicking your stick at someone as they blow past you — AND insist on wearing the sacred #11 that Saku and Kirk Muller and other HONORABLE players wore… well I’m freaking sorry, but I hope Desharnais steals your lunch and your girl.

I didn’t mean to start this before the regular season, but I was unduly provoked.

• You’re right bud – And I completely with you. Which is why I – including many others here will have enough of him in a Habs jersey if that repeats again this year. Willing to give him one last chance.

• sane hockey fan says:

Sorry but for me, one bad season isnt enough to give up on a guy with over a decade in the league, a ring and who literally has nearly an identical ppg as Saku.

• LA Loyalist says:

I don’t think there has ever been a criticism of Koivu posted on a Ducks blog, if so, I’ve never seen one. Compare with Gomez here.

Sure he’s older and beat up now, but he brings it every night at both ends of the ice and he and Selanne look like they are on a string.

Maybe Gomez has had his road to Damascus, I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m not sure DD is the answer either, but crap at least the guy looks like he’s trying.

• punkster says:

Sour grapes at its best. Come back to us in November with this whine. It’ll have aged nicely by then.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

42. topher5468 says:

“Max-Pac and Josh Gorges have displayed no lingering ill effects of their injuries”. Now thats a beautifu thing.
    “It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

43. Pacioretty’s “go-to meal” is flank steak and sweet potatos

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

44. JD_ says:

The vets seem to be in form. MaxPac doesn’t appear to have lost a step. Really good sign. JG maybe a hair tentative. Moen a bit uninspired. Budaj showin’ solid poise.

DD clearly interested in a job. Not surprisingly, Beaulieu in over his head for now.

Have to admit, Marc Denis is doin’ a much better job than I expected he would. Clearly got some thoughtful professional coachin’; tries to inject some vinegar into it.

And, unlike Brunet, he speaks English, and quite well.

And, unlike Brunet, he speaks French, and quite well.

45. Trisomy 21 says:

Beaulieu needs a nickname, i’m always copy and pasting his name. Soon i’ll just call him boyoo k? correct me if my pronunciation is wrong but I live in Calgary so give me a break at the same time.

What I wanted to ask is what number is he wearing tonight? I can’t understand the RDS commentary so when i hear the guy’s name i look at who has the puck and it’s in the referee’s hand.

Poorest play that we have so far this year, is our face offs. You would have thought it would have been addressed after last year showing.
    There must be a coach out there somewhere that can teach how to take a face off. Bring Jarvis back!

47. The trouble with Desharnais, is that in the position he’s playing today, he’ll look really good but won’t produce much. Put him against weaker combination and he’ll slaughter them and provide a ton of depth scoring.

48. Dollas on Teamm990 didn’t realize how young Budaj is… Uhhh not checking your game notes/Habs website??

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

49. Propwash says:

I caught the last few minutes of the 1st, has Gorges skating/d-work look better compared to previous seasons?

50. durocher says:

This may not be a popular comment, but I think Moen needs to earn his spot — he has a ring, he is a good teammate, I know. But his play isn’t as inspired or as tough as I would hope.

51. punkster says:

Hey, the Sabres are playing against a team made up of 10 guys who likely won’t get another sniff of Montreal night life until next camp. They should be up by 3 or 4 by now.

Preseason hockey. A prescription for unfounded angst in Montreal.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• MJ says:

I was thinking the same thing, not in the same terms though :)

I was expecting the Sabres to dominate given the lineups but what do I know, I didn’t expect Dallas to do what they did last night. Yup it’s the pre-season.

________________________________________________
      This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

52. SensFanSpezza says:

Give Desharnais some decent linemates, and he’ll have Gomez’s job before the season is out. Kid’s a sparkplug.

53. Propwash says:

Miller is looking like a wall tonight.

54. axxerd says:

Desharnais is going to end up in Gomez’s spot sooner than later
    —-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

55. MJ says:

Let’s go DD

________________________________________________

56. OneTimer says:

i love maxpac but i don’t think i’ve ever seen such an epic faceoff fail :)

57. So far I’ve counted 4 times Montreal has been waved out of the faceoff circle in one period. Zero for Buffalo.

58. PP time. Let’s pot one here boys.

Cracks in the system already. Good thing they’re not playing an offence style. *rolls eyes*

60. Aah.. well Beaulieu is only 18. He’ll learn.

61. durocher says:

Beaulieu has to stop that pass, he lost his check

62. durocher says:

Who is Henry going to fight tonight??

63. durocher says:

Beaulieu a little too loose out there

64. clubdehockey says:

Desharnais is trying to force Martin into giving him Gomez’s spot. So far, he’s making a compelling argument.

65. Propwash says:

Lookit PK there

66. HabFanSince72 says:

“Gorges seems 100 per cent”

Great to read that.

Now how about a “Max Pac seems 100 per cent” ?

67. durocher says:

Let’s see how high and long PK’s windup will be this year

68. HabsFanMTL says:

keep alex henry up!!! we need him, he’s a big body he isn’t any slower than hal gill , he is tough and won’t back down from nobody!!!!

69. OneTimer says:

i LIKE what i’m SEEING from these HABS!

70. Wow, extremely good pace. I like it. I like Beaulieu so far.