Still winless

Peterbudaj

But the Canadiens looked MUCH better than they did against Dallas.

And this was against a Buffalo team that brought most of its NHLers to the Bell Centre.

A lot to like in a kid-studded lineup.

And Max-Pac is back!

1. jo_maka says:

Beaulieu is holding his own

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Gionta setting the tone even in pre-season action, that’s why he wears the C.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

I shouldn’t talk so soon but it looks like Carey has some competition. Jennings trophy anybody?

• MJ says:

The last time we were serious candidates for the Jennings Brian Hayward and Patrick Roy were still playing. I’d say about time we take a serious run again. Fingers and toes crossed.

________________________________________________
      This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

• HardHabits says:

Hayward and Patrick Roy had a stranglehold on the trophy for 3 years running. I’d say that’s a tad better than just being a serious candidate. ;-)

But you got it right that it’s a tandem (and of course team defense) that earns it.

• MJ says:

Stranglehold indeed. It was an annual rite. What a tag team those two formed.

________________________________________________

• SeriousFan09 says:

The Goalie Guild really liked Budaj when they were previewing goaltending changes across the NHL. I think Pierre Groulx is going to help him along, but he’s got to get those rebounds under control or our boys will have to study Chicago 09-10 gametape to see how Keith and the boys bailed out Niemi.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

4. durocher says:

A lot more jump tonight compared to last night.

Desimone has some wheels on him

5. This is pretty good for a pre-season match. Lots of jump.

6. Well, Team B is playing a hell of a lot better than Team A.

Thats roughing?

8. Does Montreal cheat really bad on faceoffs all throughout their system? Because if they don’t there’s something wrong with how often we’re waved out of the circle.

9. Good start. Max Pac looked good.

10. Bill says:

Those line-ups are such a mismatch: Sabres versus Bulldogs “B” Team. Jacques Martin is planning a catastrophe.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. jo_maka says:

After last night’s swiss knives, pumped to see PK and Beaulieu on PP

First we take Buffalo…….then we take Berlin ?!?

12. Trisomy 21 says:

Before anymore asks where to watch a live stream (although if you gogle “watch habs” you will find luck with the very first result) this has been the most reliable, as they normally post more than one stream during the regular season.

Anyone got a link for game they could repost?

14. Really pumped to see Avtsin, Gallagher and Beaulieu.

Good to see Max-pac and Subban around.

Cmon Palushaj, prove me wrong and have a greaat game!!

15. Bill says:

Leonard Cohen’s birthday? Sounds like a good excuse to make my game comments Leonard-themed!

Full Breezer 4 Life

16. their should be some choice whining tonite, thats my only prediction

17. bleedhabs81 says:

TSN ALERT!

TSN is about to talk about what Carey has to do to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL…. pretty sure he just has to do what he did last year (since he was kind of a top 5 goalie last year)….

stupid tsn

18. Hickey on Team990 and back for post-game show

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

19. C_exacte says:

wow, who’s the mastermind behind the RDS panel? the ancienne nordique play by play guy, the wife beater & the 1993 whipping boy!

20. EricMelvin says:

Oops, blank-posted, don’t know why…

21. Big Ted says:

I really wanted us to draft Kassian a couple of years ago but Buffalo grabbed him ahead of our pick. He would have been a great fit here and I agree with you Boone, I think he’ll be a guy we come to hate but would love to have on our side.

22. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I expect David Desharnais to pot 18 goals this year, if he can avoid injury. That’s my only prediction for the season.

23. EricMelvin says:

Hey Boone, did you slide the Genius Bar your Gazette ID and say “Just put it on my tab?”

xkcd.com/904/

24. Boone forgets his power cord and Sabres get stuck at customs, arriving late at the Bell Centre.

HIO crash in 3….2…..1…..

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

So the CBC will be showing Montreal/Toronto hockey instead of covering the Ontario Election results Oct. 6th.

26. EricMelvin says:

Just noticed that my Avast! antivirus site rating for HIO is “Bad based on a small number of votes.” WTF?

xkcd.com/904/

7 minuets until Boone time bloggin.
    night #2

28. Bobby Dollas gets his chance as analyst with the Team990 tonight. Was on the fence with what I caught of their coverage yesterday.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

So Modano finally hung em up officially. Where does he rank in top American born players? (I don’t consider Brett Hull in that category)

30. Wheels says:

Alberta boys rock. Why do u sound so surprised that a pleasant conversation is such a shock. You look at Alberta and Saskatchewan alot of good hockey players originated here. Woywitka is going to make martins decision a tough one. 50 50 chance he will be their

31. Has anyone ever noticed that Tyler Myers is half neck? He’s basically a giraffe: http://tinyurl.com/3wmbx4j

32. Marc10 says:

DD on the first line with some real talent. The kid has come a long, long way. On ya kid. Seize the day!

33. I’m really going to laugh when Buffalo loses tonight.

34. Ayan_SB says:

While waiting for the game the game to start, sit down and listen to a classic band, covering a classic song.

CCR – Heard It Through The Grapevine.

35. Malreg says:

Good luck tonight boys, because Buffalo is pretty much playing 90% of their roster.

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
    Ennis-Leino-Stafford
    Gerbe-Adam-Boyes
    Foligno-Ellis-Kassian

Ehrhoff-Regehr
    Myers-Gragnani
    Schiestel-Persson

Miller
    Enroth

36. savethepuck says:

Please Help!
    I have several sites opened to try and buy 2 tickets to the Jet’s game Superbowl Sunday. Me and my brother already have 2 tickets for Saturday’s Caps game that weekend. I am on ticketmaster.com and they have 2 tickets Section 311 Row A for $122 each.
    Is this the section on the railing above tier 2? I have seen rows as A,AA,B,BB etc… and want to know the difference between A and AA and so on.
    Much appreciated

37. Ayan_SB says:

Man, I’m looking forward to seeing Beaulieu and PK Subban on the powerplay tonight.

38. habs001 says:

i wish there were faceoff stats for draws in you own zone and the other teams zone…it still seems to me we lose way too many draws when we start the pp,pk and in key situations in our zone…those stats would be way more meaningfull than overall faceoff wins

So no Gaustaud in the Buffalo lineup……hmmmmmm must be a trade in the works?

Quick Hits and About Last Night?

Give the guy a break, it’s just another exhibiton game.

Real hockey will start soon enough.

• ya really… people here take the preseason WAY too seriously…

• Timo says:

Give who a break? Boone? Why? I mean, between watching games in a presser or his basement and typing on a computer… that’s gotta be some hard life.

And no real hockey until Gomez is back.

Timo it is very refreshing to see this new side of you that can’t wait for Gomez! Makes me almost wish MAB were a hab once again….almost

• Dave Stubbs says:

Hey Timo, if you’re going to slam my man Boone, please get your terminology right: “presser” in the vernacular of journalism is short for press conference. It’s not slang for press box.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
        Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
        • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
        • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Timo says:

When did I slam him?

• Chorske says:

You don’t see this statement as a dig at Boone? You don’t think what he does is hard work? Jaysus, you’re obviously unfamiliar with the deadlines these guys face– and how much of this HIO playground of ours depends on the extra time dudes like Boone and Stubbs put in. Let’s see YOU write a cogent column or two every day, after posting an early morning wrap up (with links!) to the previous game, followed by a pregame blurb, followed by two-to-three hours of live blogging where every word is dissected and debated. And then finishing off the day by writing up some quick hits, this time with links to post-game pressers. YES, pressers.

Sounds like a busy sched to me.

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s fair, Timo. I can’t even crank out a coherent slam on Gomez some days.

• punkster says:

He’s building his list of Gomez adjectives. Words like superlative, outstanding, astounding, fantastic, etc. These things take time.

Hey, I bet you could help him with a few Mike ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

Perhaps when I see him play again I’ll get inspiration.
          Hey, are the golf courses still open (in general) in Mtl around end of Oct time?

• punkster says:

In general, yes. A few will stay until a solid freeze and snow. I’ve played most years until mid November…with gloves, tuque and lots of layers. But hey, it’s golf. Whatever it takes.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

Perhaps you should buy me that round you owe me when I’m in town.

• punkster says:

It would be a pleasure to pay my debt. Let me see if I still have your email and we can work out details.
            Edit…still got it…email on the way.
            ***Subbang Baby!!!***

41. Feraco says:

Completely unrelated but answer me this please…

Why was Mark Streit not signed by Montreal before he went to NYI?

Molson Ex mon ami

42. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve been playing REM songs in my office all afternoon…

What’s your favourite?

43. Ayan_SB says:

Buffalo’s practically playing their entire opening night roster against the Habs tonight:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Palushaj-Bishop-DeSimone.

Henry – Subban
    Beaulieu – Gorges
    Spacek – St-Denis

Budaj
    Mayer

Good luck boys (and that is appropriate considering how young most of the abovementioned Habs players are).

I think Buffalo has to speed up their training camp as a result of them playing those ridiculous reg. season games in Europe. I am very glad that Montreal has not had to play exhibition games that count in reg. season over in Europe. I don’t have the stats handy but according to my selective memory, I don’t recall these European starts ever helping teams.

• G-Man says:

The Europeans have their leagues and we have the NHL. I am not again preseason matchups there, but find it a terrible disadvantage for any teams to start the season there. Hope the Habs never go.

• flowerpower_74 says:

Actually, the last three cup winners all started the regular season in Europe.
        Coincidentally, they all won thier 1st reg. season games in Europe and went on to win the Stanley Cup. Maybe management should look into trying to go there next year, as long as it counts as an away game.

Team Defence wins Championships…

• AK_PK_Usay says:

They may be young but tonights team is stacked with offensive talented players, Avstin Gallagher Beaulieu Dumont and even Bishop dindt look too bad in the skirmishes. Add to that papa smurf DD Pacman, darche, gorges and spacek… I wont count them out, buffalo is way overrated this year.

• savethepuck says:

If that’s the roster they are playing with tonight, if they don’t beat our squad by 3 or 4 goals, they better spend another 10 or 15 million over the salary cap.

44. AK_PK_Usay says:

If Max Pac can get in form and play similar to AK and Cole, we have 3 “power” forwards…

But, in all honesty, Max will need at least 1 month to get back his cardio, his muscle mass is nice, but if he keep running out of breath all that extra strength is kinda useless.

Emelin and Webber looked great, Diaz looks promising. I can easily picture him on 4th line when if we have injuries on that line.

In fact, I think Markov should take his time and when ready should play as froward for a few weeks to get back into the groove. Forwards are less vulnerable to boardings than the Dman running back for the icing call (who plays the puck and gets rammed into the boards)

45. Bripro says:

@Cuzzie! This is a cut n paste from “Let’s try it again”.
    I told you yesterday. Guinness!!!
    4 for $10.00 at the dep!
    Habs on RDS.
    Tinordi chocking (I know, he’s only 19).
    But for the 6-7 regulars who were on last night, they did just fine.
    Yemelin’s sweet hip check impressed.
    And Schultz….that was just showmanship.
    If you’re going to fight, forget about the waltz at center ice and just go for it!

• cuzzie says:

$10.40 at the bell, and that’s beer I wouldn’t drink under normal circumstances. My Bro and I when to the Als game. We bought King cans of heineken b4 the game, but we still spent 80 bucks at the jewel on the hill.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

46. caladin says:

Faceoff aces are usefull…. IF they are top 6 players who belong on the ice at crucial moments.
    Bergeron did that for the booins but Kenopka doesn’t do it for anyone.
    I expect the plan for improving facoffs is practice. I’d just like to point out that that kind off work isn’t really something a player can do alone in July. So let’s see where we are in December.
    Oh and it was Spacek who shut down Ovie, more than any other hab.

47. Say Ash says:

May I ask why guys like Alex Henry are playing tonight? These games are for veterans to get their legs back and for prospects to showcase their potential. It’s not like Henry is an unkown quantity.

48. habs_1993 says:

Just wondering, does anyone have a site for live streaming of the game tonite?

Wud be greatly appreciated (:

This is a must win, or Jocks is history!

Anything for a laugh! Take a peek at this clip between beer breaks. And don’t wet your pants.

50. avatar_58 says:

So do other teams not have a farm system? Seems like they are trying to win in the pre-season rather than judge their talent pools.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Remember what Ron Wilson said, something that he planned to make cuts ASAP to show the real team *vs other junior teams… good for him, at the end of the season he can say “if we add our early “preseason” wins, we WOULD have made the playoffs…

So, Habs are winless this season without Gomez. Coincidence? I think not.

52. cuzzie says:

Watching Get smart season 4. 43 yrs later, but I’m still in love with 99.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

53. Where is this Woywitka love coming from? He was the worst defenseman who played last night, bar none.

54. Bugs says:

Speakin of “movie”, I saw one the other day that blew me away. It was another one of those cases where I discovered a gem I’d never heard about before but that was SO in tune with what I define the genre in question should be.
    In that particular case, which just so happens to be MY favorite genre, it is Noir. Beautiful, beautiful, scary noir. That you see for the FIRST time no less! Remember when you saw “Double Indemnity” for the first time? THAT was the feeling.
    “Night Moves”
    Gene Hackman. Great characterization of lead. Young James Woods. Even younger Melanie Griffith. Fantastic mystery…if you can figure it out, that is.
    Glorious ending. Best noir ending I’ve EVER seen.
    We get the Who, the What, the When, the Where and the How…but there’s an important element missing, the most important in fact.
    Chilling, exciting, and bleak as hell.
    Oh, MAN, what a great ending…!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

55. punkster says:

Best thing about preseason? The continued suggestions that we should have picked up Zero Kornucopia in the off season. Why he’s the tops, don’t you know. An adept face off guy, a prolific scorer, has a knockout punch and can carry small children on his back whilst deeking 6 defensemen, eating a corn dog and balancing a beer mug on his head without spilling a drop.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• krob1000 says:

no way he wouldn’t spill a drop …he’s got a bad back. He does have 211 points in his last 208 AHL games though…..

• punkster says:

Oh no, not you too Rob?
        Edit…oh, that was you down below…sorry but I really don’t see the love for this plug. Whatever.
        ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• krob1000 says:

I think is ifs funny it has evolved the way it has on here as well but I do see value in Konopka as an NHLer…. The bottom line is he is a bottom end player….but also an enforcer…..better than an enforcer. The fact he is not a huge liability at other times makes him have value IMO…how much value? top end? Chris Neiil, Shawn Thornton….bottom end? nowhere near BGL or the other goons around the league. Martin is not a fan of enforcers but the guy is an NHL player and better than the haters think and worse than the Konopkaddicts think he is. He probably received all of the attention after seeing our players drop like flies and get bullied by the Bruins in those regular season matchups. He would not have stopped that but at least he would have done something.
          I was an early supporter of Konopka and will defend him… I think the guy is a pretty impressive case study…a guy who can score in the AHL, take faceoffs, kill the odd penalty but only seems to fight at the NHl level…just to hang on to the dream and keep playing. His skating holds him back and his bad back may be a part of that but I like the guy……I have more respect for a guy who fights that can play a bit than the typical enforcer. Personally I would prefer they remove fighting completely.

• HardHabits says:

FYI it’zNeon Kornucopia

56. habpunk says:

has anyone heard about RDS 2?
    I have bell express vu, and have TSN, and they give me TSN 2 for free. hope RDS will do the same, and give RDS 2 for free.
    that would mean more hockey and football games.

57. krob1000 says:

Modano announcing intention to retire……next stop….Hall of Fame

58. krob1000 says:

To Hobie Hansen:

Sorry bud but it was HAmrlik and Spacek that were assigend the Ovie task….

Try googling “spacek shut down ovechkin” …there is plenty of evidence…so enjoy your drink after you realize it was not GIll and Gorges.

Gorges and Gill played some pk…but Spacek/Hammer matched up directly…Spacek got injured at one point but they were the go to pair and the matchup we went with

59. cuzzie says:

Home sick today. Clicking between tsn and sportscrap. Love that Jay Onrait , LOL. Sportscrap should change their name to laffs tv 2.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

60. Mattyleg says:

So what’s the accepted pronunciation of Budaj?
    Is it “Boo-dadge” or “Buddy”?

Those are the only two options I will accept.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. cuzzie says:

Anyone remember Yvon Lambert? He began playing hockey at 17. He scored a lot of dirty goals, but not the greatest skater. It’s nice to see we have a lot good skaters. Excuse me! This is Hockey, not Disney on Ice.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• shiram says:

He also had his last game nearly 30 years ago, the game might have changed a little since then.
      But yea we need those dirty goals and the players that pot them in,

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I also remember exactly where I was when he scored possibly the most famous Habs’ goal of the last 40 years.

• joshua94k says:

Don Cherry remembers him very well. Although Lafleur scored to tie the game with a little over a minute left in game 7, the Bruins still had a chance to win the game in overtime. But Yvon Lambert scored one of the most memorable goals in Habs history. Don cherry is still miserable today and Lambert was the most important person in Quebec, even more than Lafleur, at least for a day in May 1979.

• LA Loyalist says:

we could use Yvon Lambert. He could replace Gomez. Of course so could my dog :-) he could pee on the goalies skates and distract him.

62. DEANDALLEY says:

I expect Montreal to be much improved this season, which will make for a highly competitive Northeast Division race.

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

63. durocher says:

I’m hoping/expecting that Max Power will get a nice ovation when he steps on the ice. Standing O perhaps, or is that expecting too much?

64. habpunk says:

after watching the game, i thing is evident and hasn’t changed.
    habs are still missing a center who can win faceoffs.
    there’s such a huge difference winning a faceoff and not having to skate the length of the rink to get control of the puck.
    Gauthier had a chance to get Zenoptka from Ottawa and didn’t do it. also, habs D is weaker.
    losing 2 experienced Dmen in Hamrlik and Wisznewski, and replacing them with Yemelin and Diaz, who have ZERO NHL experience will proof costly.
    as a result habs will again struggle to make the playoffs.

• shiram says:

Wiz and Hamr are replaced by Markov and Gorges.
      Zenoptka really? Konopka was a free agent, he signed with Ottawa this summer.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• krob1000 says:

Apparently Konopka has some hidden back issues …I like him too….I think people underestimate his offesnive ability because that is never the role expected of him but if his hands were a little less swollen he has put up rather impressive offensive numbers in the AHL which is pretty impressive considering the role he seems to play in the show…..I think he has better than Shwan Thornton potential and could be a Chris Neil type with pk and faceoffs added. I just recently heard of his back troubles on here though and that may explain why he has never really lived up to what it seems he should be capable of.

• Say Ash says:

An enforcer with some hidden back issues…hmm…I think I’ve seen this episode before.

• shiram says:

Production at the AHL level does not always translate well at the NHL level. His 8 goals and 14 assists in nearly 200 games speak clearly enough to me.
          That said, I got nothing against the player, and he could have helped out here, but the Habs are betting on youth.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• krob1000 says:

no it doesn;t but find me enforcers who can produce at the AHL level liek does……he is better offensively and defensively than most enforcers IMO. He has other uses and has never really had a spot that wasn’t a 4 tth line role and the teams he has played for have had 4th lines that would be 4th lines on the BUlldogs too. He is better that people give him credit for. He is pretty well a point per game guy in the AHL … that is pretty decent.

• shiram says:

He’s actually about a 0.75ppg in the AHL, but that’s pretty good I’ll give you that, and as I said I think he could have helped out on the fourth line here, he just was not in the cards of PG.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• habpunk says:

and you’re guaranting Markov will play?
        I would be shocked if Markov plays more than half a season.
        in fact I don’t think he plays more than a handful of games, then boom, another injury(career ending).
        his body is sooo injury prone.
        Diaz might prove to be good offensively, but defensively, just awful.

• habmanj says:

It’s one (the first no less) preseason game played by many players who will not be in the line up and such things are evident already? You either have INCREDIBLE foresight and hockey sense, or ….

I’ll let you finish it.

• krob1000 says:

Markov is the one suppsoed to replace Wizniewski and Spacek will fill in for HAmmer’s minutes, Gorges healthy will help and I think we have uncovered two hidden gems in Yemelin and Diaz. This is a transition year on D and Gill and Spatch will probably both have their last hoorahs…Gill definitely. I would like to see Gill used somewhwat sparingly as I really liekt he overall speed of our D with a leaner Spacek and these kids. Gill is in tough to hold onto his spot as is Weber…Yemeiin and Diaz are the real deal and are deserving NHL dmen by seasons end and Yemelin will be from the start. We are looking very much set for years on the blueline, next we need a youth injection up front but with Eller, Trotter looking good, Kristo,etc in the pipeline ..Gallagher impressing, Leblanc,etc….we are looking pretty decent. I would like to see us obtain one legit 1st line young center somehow …whether through trading up in the draft or something for this years draft but fromt he goalie out to the forwards we are looking pretty deep….with the forwards need some long range upgrades but right now loking pretty good. If we suffer injuries to two top 6 forwards I think right now we can get by for 6 to 8 weeks with guys like Trotter and Palushaj. desharnais having the ability to play creatively with top wingers,etc,etc. I liket his team and the discovery or incovering of Diaz and YEmelin (getting him over here) could also help us immensely as we are overstocked actually long term ont he backend and we have room to explore other options as many teams do not have the luxury we do moving forward on the back end. This can help address and needs up front moving forward……I liek what I see of Gauthier so far….they were brilliant moves and a healthy Markov and Gorges along with Diaz and yemeiln IMO does improve our back end…although I did love Wiz’s grit/crazy/offesneive combo and wish we could have signed him but the skills that Diaz and Yemeiln possess at least help me understand where he was coming from moving forward.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Spacek will fill in for Hammer’s minutes???? I think Markov, Gill, Subban, Gorges and Yemelin all have spots. That leaves one opening between Weber, Diaz, Spacek and Woywitka.

I think Weber, Woywitka and Diaz should see the ice before Spacek.

Spacek looked like a fish out of water the entire 2nd half of the season and struggled big time in the playoffs. He was slow and timid in the Montreal end and did nothing but cough up the puck and lose races to loose pucks in the corner.

• krob1000 says:

Spacek looks like he has dropped 20 pounds, he also should get to play his natural side……and did you not read the line after the SDpacek thing….also mentioning Gorges, Yemelin and Diaz. If you think Spacek is not ahead of Gill, Woywitka, Weber and Diaz on the depth chart you are kidding yourself. Spacek is most definitely in Martin’s eyes miles ahead of all of them…Gill included. The fact he has come into camp in great shape bodes well too…..Spacek is an effective dman and I personally would rather have Hammer but the weight loss and conditioning, position change,etc may just be enough. Spacek is the one who was assigned the task of shutting down Ovie a couple years back and did a great job remember. He can also move the puck…his lack of speed and conditioning and overuse have been his downfalls and with thos in check he should be primed for a Hammer like or Spacek of a few years ago season…which is just fine by me.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Have another drink man. Spacek shut down Ovie? Gill and Gorges were the two responsible for that. And believe me, Gill is a ton better than Spacek at this point and will see way more ice time.

Spacek can possible stand on the point during a PP but that’s it.

He was completely horrible the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs. When he was on the ice the Bruins had the puck in our end for huge stretches of time because he could not get to the puck or he was easily knocked off of it.

Even when he was alone along the boards he put the puck in someone’s skates along the blue line and the play would continue in the Montreal end for another minute.

I will cringe every time he touches the puck or is on the ice in the Canadiens end.

He’s old, small and completely out of gas.

• cuzzie says:

Sorry. It was hammer and the spacer who took care of ovie.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, possibly Hammer and Spacek shared the Ovie duties with Gill and Gorges but that will be 2 years ago once the playoffs roll around.

Ovie actually commented earlier in the summer how well Gill did against him the year he was partnered with Gorges in the playoffs.

Bottom line is that Spacek may have a shot at being the Habs 6th dman but Weber, Woywitka or Diaz will assume that role out of the gate or by Christmas at the latest.

Spacek is done…
            I

• Gerry H says:

Again with the faceoffs. Why do people think this matters? The best faceoff percentage in the league last year was about 55%, the worst, 45%. In a game with an average 50 faceoffs, the best-to-worst spread looks like 27 vs 22 faceoff wins. Does anyone seriously think that’s going to win games?

Taken down to the level of the individual player, the difference between a centre with a league-leading FO% and a bottom dweller translates to about 1 additional faceoff win per game.

Please. Give it up.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, I’m just as concerned about center as you and many others, but optimistic that Yemelin will adjust well to NHL – but he will need some time. Let us go to Notre Dame and light candles for Markov and Gorges knees.

Diaz I don’t know. Weber I like, too. I think we’re ok on D after Christmas.

65. caladin says:

My few cents from last night.

Yemelin looked great. Yes he needs to adjust, but he could be playing top 4 before long.

Diaz looked fantastic with the puck. He showed offensive skill and sense that seemed way beyond Weber.
    Diaz looked terrible in his own end without the puck. Unless he’s able to seem 6″ bigger on D than he does now I can’t see him making the team.
    AK46 was the best player on the team by a ton. He was a dominant player for long stretches and with different linemates. Woywitka’s goal was thanks to him.
    Palushaj was avoiding contact. I’m was more discouraged by his play than anyone else’s except maybe Lawson.
    Tinordi looked good. Played a simple game and was consistent and reliable.

• shiram says:

Ak looked great, but at one time I thought he was hogging the puck.
      Not too bad, and I’d rather he hogs it than him not wanting to play a 100%.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• krob1000 says:

I thought Diaz reminded me of a right handed Mark Streit. He had the same poise and puck sense, same frame, same nationality and same forward like offensive awareness and skillset. He has an incredibly quick slapshot release and his fakes are done at light speed…almost a dead ringer for Streit. I was thoroughly impressed with him in that regard. Weber has a bomb but takes his time getting it off and doesn’t have the small space quickness that Diaz does…he is also a very good stickhandler for a dman. I would not be surprised if he is a regular as a forward/d hybrid before long and shows up on our pp. I know it is a ridiculous statement after one game….but since that is what this site is about…I say he is already ahead of Weber and I would put him on a PP before Weber. Defensively I didn;t get too much time to notice him and did see him get rubbed out rather easily the one time and turn the puck over but offesnively this kid could very well be the next Mark Streit…and Streit pre contract was a great asset and glue guy if ever there was one.

66. cuzzie says:

Beer! $10.40 at the Phone Booth.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Just 2 of them for sure.

68. The Dude says:

An interesting first game.If not for the powerplays the Habs would of had not much of an offensive upside.realistically,we got beat by a bunch of older x-HAb rejects early and really had no way out of the hole which is sad when you consider we play Avery defensive style which is ment to stop a one sided game from happening.I truly believe MArtin’s style would turn CRosby into a 15goal scorer.

69. Hobie Hansen says:

A few observations from last night:

Jeff Woywitka: Seemed to play well! Not sure how many goals he was on the ice for but he seemed poised and confident carrying the puck out of his end and up the ice. Scored a decent goal too. I’d rather him on the ice than Spacek.

Jarod Tinordi: He has a lot of weight to add to his frame and a long way to go. Another year in junior and a year or two in Hamilton.

Alex Yemelin: Real nice hip check at the blue line and a good job of carrying the puck and looked good on the power play.

Mike Blunden: Not the greatest set of hands but came back and broke up a couple rushes in the neutral zone. He’s got some size and I could see martin experimenting with him on the 4th line during the regular season.

Those were some quick observations I made while casually watching the game…

Peace ;-)

70. Danno says:

Price has more points than Gomez in pre-season action

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

71. Hey there. Who can I contact about profile issues? I want to change my website and it won’t let me… also wondering how to get an avatar. Any help?

72. christophor says:

Andre’s loving that Umberger deal.

73. Haligonian-Hab says:

Quick questions guys/gals: I will be in Montreal for the opener v Calgary and the next game v Colorado. I assume the Canadiens will be practicing on Friday at their facility in Brossard.. So here is (are) my question(s):

Can somebody give me the jist of how to go about watching a practice? I.e. Are there tickets, or is it free? Possible times to go? etc..

Thank you!

• Feraco says:

From my understanding its free. They play at the practice facility in Brassard where there is public parking.

Last time I was there no tickets were required and I just watched from the top of the stands through plexi-glass as it was packed.

The earlier the better! AT LEAST 1 hour before they start

Molson Ex mon ami

74. shiram says:

Main thing about last night : new glass and rink features are not annoying when watching on Tv.
    Anyone cares to comment on Marc Denis?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

75. verticalj says:

Im impressed with gallagher too, and beaulieu made a few soft plays but he made more impressive ones too!

76. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve hated Kassian since he did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGSbrEi-c

And moreso when he did that puke-worthy Nike ad during the 2011 World Juniors and basically tried to say his way of playing on the edge was courage.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

77. Trisomy 21 says:

And then in the WJC he had another ugly hit to the head. He’s going to be one irritating bastard in the NHL.