Thomas again

4785580
The Boston goaltender made 33 saves – 13 in the first period.
The B’s were opportunistic and tenacious.
Then they played textbook lead protection to take a 3-2 lead in the series.
Simon Gagné scored 69 seconds into the game, but that was it for the Lightning.
Both teams were horrible on the power-play.
Key stat: Bruins were 41-30 on faceoffs. The Lightning chased the puck – generally to no avail – all night.

1. derfab says:

Two decent teams that are very lucky to still be playing. The Bruins lack speed and depth on D, both lack the kind of scoring normally needed to go far and both are good at making the other goalies look great. Vancouver should walk away with this.

2. PeterD says:

I just don’t care about Boston…

3. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Thomas is clutch, his technique is, well…flip, flop, and stop pucks, unorthodox but effective, bottom line is he stops pucks when his team needs it. I keep thinking his bubble has burst, and then he comes up with saves like the one on Downie. He has so much confidence and just never gives up on the puck, that’s the key, it’s like he has eyes in the back of his head. The Lightning have to get more traffic in front of him if they want to beat him. He’s flopping all over the crease, so you would think if Tampa puts pucks high on him they score a mitt full and chase him from the net. Hope Tampa can find a way, not looking good tho’.

• HardHabits says:

Dominic. Hasek.

I can go even farther. Jose. Theodore. The series where Montreal finished 8th and Boston was 1st when they still had Joe Thorton, Theodore was 1000x luckier than any goalie I have ever seen.

“I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Luck has a peculiar habit of favoring those who don’t depend on it”

4. Critical-MASS says:

hey folks heres the game winning goal in gm 6 by dawes to force a gm 7.If youve seen it sorry.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

5. I still can’t believe the Habs lost to the Bruins. They’re horrible, and moving to the SCF.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

6. twocents says:

MABstrosity

7. Mullie01 says:

Well, that was fun……but Go Seadogs Go!

8. HabFanSince72 says:

I called it after period one. Timmy isn’t letting another goal past him. Next game too. Tampa’s done.

Right there is the difference between Tim Thomas and Carey Price.

Bruins never get past round one if Price had half of Thomas’s tenacity.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I’d call the difference blind rotten luck, I can’t think of any goaltender who is so often out of position and gives away rebounds right to the slot that doesn’t get buried by it except him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• habs001 says:

when does luck become reality?..the poster mathman has been posting for 2 years that we have lots of scoring but we just have bad luck for two years now..

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, my nickels worth is that luck is a short term thing and not sustainable. A reactive goalie like Thomas also is dependent on his D to block forwards, clear rebounds, and help with puck management. He is also more susceptible to wild swings in performance, unlike a more technically sound goalie.

Tampa has to just keep shooting. I let in a goal on Sunday that I had the shot cleanly lined up – then it hit my defenceman’s stick shaft and then my goalie stick shaft and in. What can you do with that except forget about it and move on.

I don’t think Tampa is done, they just have to keep shooting, go to the net and make things messy in front of Thomas.

• ManApart says:

LOL. You just can’t understand it. Thomas wins Vezinas, sets records, outplays Price, does well in the playoffs and the only thing you can come up with is luck. I told you Thomas was good before the playoffs, as usual you had a bunch of excuses. Now you’ve resorted to saying its luck. As per usual, you are way off.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I can’t understand how he doesn’t get lit up. Terrible positioning and he sends rebounds right to the slot, two things that on a scouting report for any junior goalie would mean he’s going in the late rounds, if that.

Thomas would have far less ‘amazing’ saves on his record if he didn’t create the second opportunity for his opposition so often. Pacioretty would have buried him if that ape Chara hadn’t tried to kill him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• pat s says:

SeriousFan09—what are you talking about–he let in 1 goal tonight-if a bruin fan was saying this about price you would never agree—there in no winning with your arguments

• mike3131 says:

SeriousFan is right… Thomas is (outrageously) lucky, however, the main reason why Thomas doesn’t get lit up (besides his never-give-up-on-the-play style and flexibility) is because he plays for a team that has 6’9 defensemen that box out opposing forwards, making it impossible to bury those juicy second chances.

• pat s says:

Manpart–i agree

i think you are in a no win argument with some of these posts

the data speaks for itself

• OneTimer says:

Outplays Price? The Bruins won the series by one goal, dude. And Price is still ahead of Thomas in playoff GAA and %.

• HardHabits says:

Dominic Hasek.

• hdcase says:

After a whole season of blind luck like that, I think you have to take a second look at what Thomas is doing. He’s not as quick as someone like Patrick Roy so he makes up for it by being very aggressive. I don’t think you can say he is constantly out of position, he is just way out of the net to cut down the angle for the shooter and that is a lot more effective than standing there with your butt in the net. That save on Downie may have been mostly dumb luck but you to look at the total game. He did keep his team in the game when they were being seriously outplayed.

hdcase

• Exit716 says:

So you’re saying that Price lost the series to the Bruins?
      Thanks.
      I guess you think PK Subban is an uppity cocky little (deleted) too?
      Go cheer for another team. How about this? Change your name to Bandwagon Fan Since Forever.

• HabFanSince72 says:

No, Price is not the reason we lost. In fact Price is a big reason we were in it to begin with.

Price has tremendous skill, but he doesn’t have the battling spirit of Tim Thomas or Patrick Roy.

Thomas did a Roy tonight. Guaranteed a win and shut the door. And you knew it after period one when Boston were down and their fans were booing them.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Thomas is no different than any other flopper, the ‘battling’ goalie looks to be such a fierce competitor because they make all those big acrobatic moves in nets but it’s really just an indication they don’t have a real technique and are betting on instinct every time.

Don’t compare him to Roy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• pat s says:

SeriousFan09–i agree, Roy was and is the best goalie on the planet that played in the NHL

Thomas, however has stepped up to the plate

I like Price so I still want to be patient with him, especially after this year, but he does need to bring montreal to the cup if people want to compare him to the elite goalies–thats the bottom line

• LizardKing1967 says:

I agree 100% with you Fan09. I recall a certain “lucky” goaltender named Hextall who flopped all over the place and was always out of position. And, yes, please DO NOT speak Roy’s name in vain (or at least not compare Thomas to him).

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

• JayBee says:

Isn’t Price like 23? My goodness, let the guy play some more before writing him off or comparing him to veteran goalies.

Price is better than Thomas. Thomas is a good goalie, but he’s always so out of position which is why he makes those acrobatic saves. It’s the Curtis Joseph effect. Also, having Chara playing 30mins a game helps.

• Habfan29 says:

Thanks JayBee this is exactly what I was thinking. I have been a goalie for 38 years and sure Thomas is a good goalie, but his saves alwasy look spectacular because he is out of position so often and I am really surprised that he has not been lit up more often, but having Cro-magna on Defence sure helps him. As far as Thomas being better than Price. Price is 23 thomas is 37, lets compare stats when Price is 37 and see who has won more games etc. Remember it took Thomas almost 10 years to make it to the NHL. Hell he even played for the Bulldogs….Go Bolts go!!!

• ManApart says:

LOL Price

• pat s says:

Just b/c someone makes an observation doesn’t mean he still doesn’t go for that team—i call that objectvity

you have to be open to different points of view

right now thomas is playing well, he can go cold also but he stepped up to the plate tonight–give credit where credit is due

• HardHabits says:

Price was out-played by Thomas. Simple. Isn’t it?

• JayBee says:

HabsFanSince72 – You’re quite silly and so is anyone who agrees with you.

Put Thomas on the Habs and see how far they get. If Price let in the amount of softies he has this playoffs he would have been crucified.

Thomas is a good goalie but he’s also a product of a good defensive system, a good team and some a solid top 4 defensive core. What Norris trophy winners has Price played with?

Funny how Tuuka Rask had the best save percentage in the league last year.

9. hablifting says:

Man is Vinny ever terrible. Thank goodness we have Gomez instead.

Nugets of wisdom learned on HIO, can’t beat them.

10. habs001 says:

sadly the bruins may even win the cup..they will have a much better pick in the draft than we will and their 2 young players seguin and marchand are way ahead of any players we have in that age group in scoring ability…

11. CHsam says:

THat’s enough Bruin watching for me.

12. 4m3y2j says:

MAB

CLUTCH ON THAT BLUELINE……OVER

13. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Fire Boucher !!

14. JayBee says:

Vintage MAB. And there were fools who thought he was better than the Wiz.

Boston going to the Finals. FML

15. Psycho29 says:

I remember that Bergeron guy now…

16. ooder says:

MAB is the gomes of defensemen
    ——————
    Gomez: 36 and counting!

17. punkster says:

I’m having trouble believing that Boucher is the second coming of Toe.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. JayBee says:

I hate everything the Bruins are.

I also hate how they consistently play on the edge (and cross it quite often) but tend to not get penalized.

Bergeron is by far the best player on their team. Wish he played somewhere else so I could actually root for him.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Huberdeau wins it in OT.

I still say we need to trade Price to get this kid.

20. Exit716 says:

The kid coach needs to make some adjustments. If he was doing this in Montreal right now he’d be barbecued.

21. kempie says:

nice trip, no call

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Gee, with the stuff Boston gets away you’d think one of their players father was the Vice-President of Hockey Operations for the NHL. Oh, wait…

23. mike3131 says:

I know it is horrible to think of, but I just realized that Nathan F. Horton scored the first goal against us this year… AND the last :@

24. Lafrich says:

Wow. Thomas.

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Really amazing the crap Boston is getting away with.

26. Lafrich says:

Dominic Moore will come up big before this one’s done.

27. ooder says:

watching these guys compete… makes me realise that we cannot win when we have a useless, lazy 7.5 million dollar player like gomez on our team
    ——————
    Gomez: 36 and counting!

28. punkster says:

So Camping now says he was off a bit and the end of the world isn’t coming until October. Well, colour me relieved. Here I was concerned that the money I spent on new irons over the winter was going to be a total waste. Looks like I’ll have another 5 months to find out just how much my game improves with them. Of course there’s a down side to all this. We now have to go through 5 more months of line combo suggestions, contract recommendations and Gomez bashing.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

29. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s not who I would call my top choice in the draft anymore, but so far Tomas Jurco has 2G, 1A in 2GP in the Memorial Cup as his assist and goal in his team’s second game (Saint John) have pushed it to overtime. Arguably, the best puck skills in the entire 2011 group and on risk-reward, somewhere between a Zherdev-type (Fantastic puck skills, but not the work ethic to go with it) and a game-breaking skill player (Giroux).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Fantastic puck skills, but not the work ethic to go with it”

Why would you question Tomas Jurco’s work ethic?

*Note Nathan Beaulieu can play much better than he has so far in this tournament.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• SeriousFan09 says:

His scoring totals are not what scouts were expecting for a guy playing on the No. 1 ranked junior team in the CHL. I mention Jurco as being between Zherdev and Giroux because while his work ethic might improve, it might not and then you have a guy more suited for 15-20G a season and a SO specialist, instead of a 70+ point forward who can dangle you 1-on-1 out of your jock.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Sean Bonjovi says:

You’ve allowed for the possibility “…his work ethic might improve…”. I don’t think we should begin with the assumption that the assertion it Implies is settled fact.

Disclaimer: I’m a Sea Dogs fan. Even my unbiased opinions such matters may be biased.

<—- (That's Zach Phillips in my avatar)

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

30. Exit716 says:

Re: Dupont and Subban. Sorry, I’ve been ragging that Boston homer on Twitter. Shit. For a guy that is a professional, he really has a thin skin. He needs to either quit Twitter or grow up. I used to think Stephen Harris was the most unprofessional Boston hockey writer. KP has Harris beaten by a country mile.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Kevin Paul Dupont is a dickhead.

32. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Tampa is making their own bed here, why did they stop hitting. Better give ‘em a shake Guy…

33. Keith says:

HUGE dive by Lurch.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

“Time for the Bruins to do something positive on the power play”

- CBC Hack.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Dive by Chara.

36. hansolo says:

I don’t see how a big guy like Chara goes down like that after a stick check

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Anyone ever experienced the weird phenomenon where potatoes don’t cook if you try to simmer them in tomato sauce?

I’ve had some thinly sliced potatoes in tomato sauce for about 30 min and they are still rock hard.

WTF?