That was fun

seguinMay17

Photo by Reuters

Two defensive-minded coaches?

Yeah, right.

Riding red-hot rookie Tyler Seguin, Boston evened the series … but not without difficulty.

Tim Thomas was bombarded with 41 shots and made about 10 miraculous saves.

Down 6-3, the Lightning dominated the third period and served notice this could be a long series.

Key stat: Boston 41-32 on faceoffs.

And they got two power-play goals.

1. HNS says:

The Booins won their only game of the series.

2. nova scotia vees says:

So, here I am again with the same old refrain. Does anyone else notice how Bruin opponents keep getting waved out of the face-off? Games 6 &7 of the Habs series…Habs chased 15 times to Bruins 5. In fact in game 7, Bruins waved out only twice and that was in the first period. Remember the series winning goal in O.T.? Same thing last night.
    Also, TSN reporters (Sunday), finally commented on another of my pet peeves…broken stick penalties. Time to do away with them…The equipment is crap. Imagine if golfers broke their clubs on every 5th swing! I think they’d get better clubs.

3. REB says:

_Habsoloutly_ says: “Great trade Burke. How’s Kessel doin in the playoffs..? oh ya.”
    ——————–
    Oh c’mon! Kessel has performed very well for Toronto, 30 & 32 goals in his 2 years there. The failure of Toronto to make the playoffs is not Kessel’s fault – 1 man does not make a team.

Using your logic, I could just as easily say Gainey should have drafted T.Rask instead of Price; after all, Rask is still in the playoffs.

Come back in 3-5 yrs for comparison of Kessel to Seguin, and grade the trade then.

4. The Cat says:

Good on Seguin for making Julien look like a moron for not using him. And Julien was a bit of a moron with Bergeron out.

• pat s says:

How ironic that I want Boston to win(i don’t mind winning tampa however) and it was my favorite GM, Brian Burke, that traded seguin.

Please don’t comment on the kessel trade–i don’t have the energy to debate that right now

5. slychard says:

There it is…there it was. What coulda been never ment to be actually was ment to be a was and…was not. No, Yes, perhaps. 24 cups. 12 will take another 24. think. 25 next.

6. Propwash says:

Wow, I turned the game off to watch Pawn Stars, and it looks like I missed a heckuva almost comeback.

7. habs365 says:

TB let them back in the game too many times and paid for it……

8. sane hockey fan says:

Tyler Seguin is going to be one hell of a player.

9. _Habsoloutly_ says:

F*ck the Brooins. That is all.

10. mike3131 says:

Tim Thomas = Luckiest man on Earth
    When the bounces go his way (which is about 93.2% – 93.8% of the time), you can’t score on him. The only way to succeed in the today’s NHL with his style is luck. Without luck, floppin’ Tom would be just as good as any other garage league goalie.

• sane hockey fan says:

Lol…I’m a huge habs fan but I’m also a hockey fan, and Thomas is one hell of a good goalie.

• JayBee says:

He’s great yet awful at the same time, LOL. I wouldn’t call him elite but he’s a good goalie. He made some great saves….but he has the Curtis Joseph effect….the saves look better because he’s always out of position and flopping around.

• mike3131 says:

I acknowledge his talent, but he is so overrated… Yes, he makes huge saves, but he struggles to make the easy saves and can’t control a rebound off his pads. He just happens to have Chara and other big defensemen in front of him to clear those rebounds

• olematelot says:

Disagree completely with some of these comments, first of all Thomas is an elite goalie his numbers prove that. Overrated, not a chance, the guy keeps doing it time in and out. Lucky, there’s an old saying “you gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good”, so ya I guess he’s lucky, but he’s also dammed good, anyone that would dispute that doesn’t know what they are talking about. Bottom line is he stops the puck, how he does it matters not

• mike3131 says:

I’m a goalie. I know what I’m talking about. The rebounds Thomas gives off his pads are pieces of cake! He will ALWAYS make the first save (which explains the stats) because he comes 15-20 ft out of his net, but the luck comes in play because he has big defensemen in front of him who box out opposing forwards and take away the second chance immediately. He is talented, focused and never gives up on the play, but I don’t consider him “elite”. If he played on a team like ours, he wouldn’t be nearly as recognized. Again, he’s good, but not “elite”.

• olematelot says:

I’ve been playing and watching hockey for 50+ years so I also know what I’m talking about. I’ve watched Thomas on many occasions make multiple (more than 1) stops during the same sequence. His defense don’t always clear away the first rebound, they aren’t THAT good. If he’s not an elite goalie I don’t know who is

• mike3131 says:

PRICE is elite. RINNE is elite. HILLER is elite. LUNDQVIST is elite. MILLER is elite. These are goalies that play on middle of the pack (/underrated) teams but CONSISTENTLY give them the opportunity to win in every game against any opponent.
            I didn’t say Boston D is good. I said they’re BIG. They get in the way of opposing forwards.
            I do respect Thomas for the huge saves he makes but I cannot respect him for the little softies he lets in and gets away with (unlike Luongo who ACTUALLY gets the criticism he deserves).
            I’m new here and knowing myself, this argument can go on forever… I guess I’ll have to get used to having hockey related arguments with my fellow fans (which I’m not crazy about because we cheer for the same team!). If the Bruins win the cup (GD forbid) then I guess you win, lol.

• olematelot says:

No problem,I guess we agree to disagree

11. CHsam says:

Pull trigger. Do not release finger and grip.

12. punkster says:

Bolts need a Subbang here.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

13. CHsam says:

Hi dad can you help us get a PP? thx txt u later

14. CHsam says:

Damn right. Here comes the gooning. I knew TB had extra gears in reserve.

15. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yes!! Ladies and germs, we have a hockey game.

16. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m not a violent person by any means, but I’d love to see someone pound the snot out of Marchand and Horton.

• pat s says:

never would never happen unless its hard bodycheck, you are going to have major problem doing that given the bruins lineup–see their GM believes in protecting his players unlike our previous GM–hopefully, Gauthier takes that into consiseration

17. CHsam says:

LOL Neely always looks like he’s about to clock Chiarelli, and Chiarelli squirms in anticipation of said hit.

18. habs365 says:

two more forwards that can score goals and the Habs will be in the 3rd round of the playoffs next year—maybe the cup—we are as good as any team out there except for offence……

19. _Habsoloutly_ says:

F’U “Dr” Recchi.

20. CHsam says:

I hope we see more of this! Make Chara pay every shift

Spacek for leafs 1st rounder next year? Or do we need them to throw in reamer so we can have a backup for price?

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

22. EricInStL says:

Marchand gets praise from a cross-dresser (rumored) lovely

23. habs365 says:

The Bruins are not quitters as much as we may hate them—we still have bragging rights though—we had them down 2 games to nil..doesn’t look good for TB tonight……

24. SnowManHabs85 says:

Seguin is gonna be involve in a fight in 3rd period. mark it! then he’ll be officially be welcomed into Julien’s circle of trust.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock