Best of the season?

OK, it’s one thing to own the Bruins.

But to bend them over a log out in the woods where no one can hear them scream?

Not pretty … especially once the inevitable thuggery started.

And Steve Bégin, who was brilliant in his first game back, sustained ann upper-body injury when hit from behind by Shane Hnidy late in the game.

Tom Kostopoulos, who tried to avenge his linemmate, was named the game’s first star – a popular choice with the fans, if a bit of  head-scratcher in the pressbox. He did have the Gordie Howe hat trick: a goal, an assist and a fight.

"They were out there trying to start stuff, Tom the Bomb said. "Obviously, they’re down. They want to show that they’re into the game."

But the Bruins were out of the game.

"You never want to see it get out of control," Mike Komisarek said. "But it’s good to see we’re sticking up for each other.

"It seems we were just carrying the momentum. Everyone was contributing."

No fewer than 13 players figured in the scoring. And everyone figured in the passing, which was absurdly effficient and made the Bruins look pathetically slow and out of it.

"We played well defensively," Komisarek added. "The opportunities came offensively and we buried our chances.  We had chances against Pittsburgh and they weren’t going in for us. It was nice to see us rewarded for their hard work with a couple goals."

What did Guy Carbonneau say during the timeout he called early in the third period?

""We were running around, getting a little sloppy and we still had some work to do," Komisarek said.  "We just had to calm down a bit, settleourselves down, settle the puck down and make good play.

"I thought it was a great timeout, just to regroup."

1. howtathor says:

Thanks Carbo!

2. showey47 says:

well said habs kat

3. Habs-Kat says:

Know your role, Dandenault.

4. Bill says:

He died naked on the floor of Mary Kate Olsen’s bedroom. It’s not the worst way to go. Goal!!

5. MatttheHabsFan says:

Trading him at the deadline would mean a cap hit of around 700k for the rest of the season. Based on that, I can see there being a market for him.

6. MatttheHabsFan says:

This contract likely sets the bar for Huet. Their stats are very similar. Excellent GAA and Save %, but never played a vast majority of the games in a season. Bryz has one advantage over Huet, in that he has a little playoff experience and had some success in the playoffs as well. The question now remains, should BG sign Huet to something similar?

7. Bill says:

Who does Dandeneault think he is anyway? Some kind of superstar?

8. showey47 says:

pretty selfish of dandy to use the media to express his disappointment, this team doesn’t need another samsonov type attitude on it

9. Habs-Kat says:

Somebody took Theodore, somebody took Samsonov, I’d think it would be easier to sell a versatile forward/defenseman with three Stanley Cup rings making under $2 million.

10. showey47 says:

hilarious doc, we’ve probably got the most expensive plumbers in the league

11. The Teacher says:

Mickey Ribs an all-star!!

HOW SAD!

12. mrstewart61 says:

You’ve got my vote!

Goaltending Update – Auld starts tonight for Boston and Bryzgalov just signed for 3 years at $4.25 mil a year in Phoenix.

The Original 24 Cups

14. likehoy says:

or the underline?

making the top line the “highlighters”

and the third line the “white-out”

15. likehoy says:

who would take dandy??

16. Chorske says:

PS and yeah, the Heath Ledger thing is pretty bizarre.

17. Chorske says:

Hey, I live in Amish country. They can be passionate. They are a passionately terse people.

I think that line is fine: let Sergei show what he can do when he isn’t paired with high-flying linemates. Besides, the lines will probably be shaken up by 10 minutes into the game anyway.

18. Habs-Kat says:

I hope Dandy gets traded. I’ll take O’Byrne.

19. leafs67_andcounting says:

With the Devils on Thursday, this is a must win.
    I’m like Boone, I’m very uneasy about the whole thing. I don’t think this is the best time to bench Dandenault

20. howtathor says:

I’d like to see the third line as a kid line with Laps, Lats and SK. The fourth line could be Smokes, Dandy, Begin or Kostopolous. I think it would give the kids some energy to feed off each other.

21. New says:

The Habs have owned the Bruins this year so they are overdue to lose to the Bruins. Look ahead at the schedule. If the Habs tough this next 10 games out, then they are in good shape. Now Dandy wants to play the media card? Great timing. If he had twice the points, was a plus player, and wasn’t up front because there was someone better playing D, then I might feel a pang for him. As it is, if he had wanted to be a distraction at a critical time, he chose wisely. Otherwise he’s just something else.

Anyway, when the Habs and fans start talking about running into hot goalies it generally marks the start of a slide. Be interesting to see who comes to play, and who just talks a good game over the next three weeks.

22. showey47 says:

i’m sure we wish it was that easy but you can’t teach that kind of skill, you either have it or you don’t.

23. linp says:

I watched the Pittsburgh vs Washington game. Ovechkin has the same shooting motion as Ryder. Ryder is a professional NHL hockey player. Couldn’t he watch the tape and learn how Ovechkin skates and plays the game. The most difficult skill is one-time a good shot. The rest should be easy, isn’t it?

24. HabsProf says:

Does this situation not bring home the “why did we sign Brisebois?” question with more force? It is not that he is useless (he isn’t), it is not that he isn’t worth the money (he is), it is that we just didn’t have enough space for him. Even with him injured, we can’t fit in all of our defensemen, including a guy with a near $2MM contract. And it may be that when O’Byrne gets back, we just send him down to the AHL.

BTW, does anyone else out there like the idea of playing Streit at forward (except on the power play) and letting Dandenault play defense? I continue to be impressed at the offense that Streit generates from the forward position. He is one heckuva 3rd or 4th line forward.\

I know, Dandenault is actually happier up front and I know Streit wants to play defense, but it might be that they will each be more effective if they switched roles.

25. HabsProf says:

I like young Sergei, but the guy has 3 points (1g, 2a) and is -3 over the last 10 games. He has only 8 shots on net during that time.

Higgins has 7 pts (2g, 5a) and is +0 with 26 shots and Ryder has 6 pts (4g, 2a) and is +1 with 13 shots.

Sergei is still a rookie with some growing pains. Ryder and Higgins have had chemistry in the past and Ryder is playing better lately (though he still doesn’t shoot enough).

I don’t mind this move.

26. JB_15 says:

We are toast tonight with this lineup.

Speaking of firings…days like this make me want Carbo gone so badly

That smolinski begin kostitsyn line will have about as much firepower as the canadian army and about as much passion as the amish.

PS Heath Ledger is dead, Weird.

27. MICP says:

I know they were open about looking for Jr. replacement but atleast he did not have to interview them for his position.
    I really thought that that would be typical for that sorry group.

28. sidhu says:

Mr Boone, I share your reaction to SK74 being placed on the bottom two lines, though I imagine this is just a temporary move. I think he’s proven thus far that he can play on the top lines and that he’s a smart, two-way player who doesn’t back down from aggressive play.

Higgins and Koivu are both mired in slumps (though I have confidence that only Higgins will truly break out of his). Placing Ryder back with them could re-ignite the once solid trio, though my thinking is that there is at least another purpose for the shifts – showcasing Ryder for potential suitors.

I feel bad for Dandy because he rebounded strongly after he was made a healthy scratch. We have too many capable forwards and something has to give. Go Habs Go!

29. TheCharles says:

I agree with you 100%. Players that are -10 on the season should be a little more humble. I like to see his passion, but this is something him and Guy (and the rest of the coaching staff) should deal with.

30. MICP says:

First off, dont the B’s still have a chap named Savard & Sturm on their team? Id be nervous too.
    The B’s just swept the Rangers, the same Rangers that have beat us twice.

Our Habs can look like a #4 seed one night then a #14th the next. We need to remember that they are young and there going to be growing pains. While I can understand the growing pains from the kids I dont understand why we still have so much trouble with o-zone penalties. I really thought after Zednik & Perezhogin left that we would cut down on them but it seems captain K has elevated that number and thats NOT the type of play we need from not only our veteran but also our captain.

31. J.T. says:

What is with these veterans whining to the media about their lack of playing time? If they have an issue, they should bring it up to the coach and/or GM and discuss it privately. Dandenault complaining publicly isn’t showing leadership to the younger guys on the team, it isn’t being a team player and it isn’t going to change anything. Suck it up, boyo. You’re not Joe Sakic out there.

32. MathMan says:

The problem Montreal has is… who sits?

The Habs have too many bottom-sixers, including two guys who could arguably play on the Koivu line. It’s a team in transition, so the kids have to play. Latendresse has played well — he’s muffed a few chances, but he’s getting them, and it’s a sign he’s going to the right spots (mainly to the net). Lapierre has been awesome on the PK. Sergei Kostitsyn has also played well, enough that I’m mildly surprised to see him bumped for Ryder on the Koivu line. Kostopoulos is a good PKer and has brought good energy. Begin’s coming back and he’s a reliable vet so he gets his spot back. And Dandenault scored those two goals in Boston and has good speed, but hasn’t really been a factor since.

So… who deserves to sit?

No one. But someone has to. So it’s Dandy. It could have been anyone, and it would have been messy regardless.

33. J.T. says:

The pound line?

34. fun police says:

boone, i know dandy scored the two goals, but a peewee player would have scored on the pass from streit.

35. fun police says:

dandenault mad, boohoo. with begin back, we have 5 plumbers and only one broken toilet. i’d rather have skilled guys any day over so called “energy” players. dandy is taking a kids spot and he has not done much for the last month.

36. Will Longlade says:

As noted by the coach in the post-game press conference, some players didn’t answer the bell on Saturday night. It wasn’t the total team effort we saw in Atlanta. Finally, there should be no argument that the outcome was certainly mediocre.

37. likehoy says:

doesn’t sound fine and “dandy”

i personally like dandeneault as a fourth liner, his speed and backcheck have been successful this season.

38. Chorske says:

>because losses come in bunches…huet will go down with another injury as we lose pathetically 😛

39. likehoy says:

click on any of the teams to find out…i don’t think there’s a compiled list.

40. likehoy says:

it was like 8 months ago and that’s the only dirt they have on ryder!

The funny thing is, it’s well known that Ryder is a poor-driver (or at least he hates driving in montreal)…Must have been a disgruntled Montrealer that happened to be in bona vista newfoundland.

But if car-bombing is still an issue now…maybe some newfie mafia told Ryder to throw the season and his little brother to quit hockey or his family gets it.

41. Habs-Kat says:

Hey, could someone tell me who’s going to be a UFA after this season?

42. krob1000 says:

Auld is getting the start……for anyone in a fantasy league this is a useful site

43. likehoy says:

oh ya and when ryder koivu and higgins each put one in tonight are we going to bring back the 2000 hit single. “WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!? WHO!? WHO WHO WHO!?”

44. JF says:

I don’t think you can call our effort against the Pens mediocre. We actually played well – but they played a superb defensive game. I hope the result made our guys mad and they’ll be really flying tonight.

45. Ed says:

If all three of them are in the doghouse, somebody has to come up with a name for this line. Come on, how can we resist? I can think of some, but will leave it alone for now. Tonight, I will be cheering for Carbo’s dogs.

46. JF says:

I’m another one with an ominous feeling about this game. Boston got some momentum out of their back-to-back wins against the Rangers and will be absolutely determined to win tonight. Also, I’m pretty sure we’ll face Alex Auld rather than Tomas. And I don’t much like the lines. Koivu, Higgins and Ryder weren’t clicking before; what has changed to make it likely they will now? And I can’t see the third or fourth line doing anything much. Hope I’m wrong…

47. Will Longlade says:

I have a feeling that this game will not be as much of a pushover as past tilts against the Bruins. Montreal played one of their best games of the season against Atlanta, but followed it with a pretty mediocre effort against the Pens. I wonder which team will show up tonight?

48. likehoy says:

i think the only inspiration smolinski can and should give smolinski is retiring and spend his afternoons sharpening skates and watering ice rinks. Give back to the community!

49. likehoy says:

well point 3 contradicts point 2 lol…how do you showcase a player playing on a line of misfits?? 😉

there’s nothing to show with ryder. If he wanted to play well, he would have done it already. It’s not like tonight he’s going to get up and be like “oh wow! gainey might want to trade me, i better put on my lucky stockings and score a couple tonight!” and it’s not like saks and higgins are like “lets get rid of ryder so we’ll send him a few nice passes here and there and make him look like an allstar.” Clearly if that was the case, ryder would already be scoring and there have been no mention of ryder being disgruntled, in fact I find the media doesn’t snoop around Ryder’s poor-performance enough. They strictly just say he sucks and needs to do better. When Souray came out of the lockout slumping, we were soon to find out he was divorcing his wife. Koivu even got owned in the eye when la presse went to go find out how he was doing after almost losing his eye. When Kovy slumped, he had vertigo, russian interviews, and crashing a bike into a house. Ryder? nothing! except 1 car-bomb before the season started.

50. Ed says:

Mike Boone, the eternal optimist. I’m not sure if you ever have a good feeling about a game before it is played. It’s your reverse psychology, or as you call it, the Boone Reverse Jink. Let’s hope it works again tonight. Your record (of being wrong) has been very good.

51. The Teacher says:

This is game # 2 of a five game run where I expected the Habs to pick up 8 points out of a possible ten.

So far they’ve got zero, which means they have to run the table.

Halak against the Devils, Huet tonight and two games after that at least. That’s what I would do anyways.

52. Will Longlade says:

I think only Smolinski can inspire Smolinski to get more involved. He’s had decent line mates in the past, he’s just performed well below expectations.

53. likehoy says:

so…who is not expecting another notch in the W column tonight? how cocky are we going into a game against the bruins now 😛

fearsome prediction:
    Kovy 2 goals
    A-cup 1 goal
    Higgins 2

Habs win 4-1

54. The Teacher says:

I’m thinking it was done (the SKost move) for three reasons,

1) To get Sergei to take more shots and thus he will learn to get it off quicker as I’ve noticed a lot of his shots get blocked or deflected. He won’t be passing to Smokes or Begin too often in close I wouldn’t think.

2)To showcase Ryder a little

3)Apparently Carbo said that Higgins and and Koivu are now in the doghouse with Ryder.

Maybe Lafleur was 3/4 right and their line is another fourth line.

Let’s look on the bright side, at least this 4th line has the potential to be a co-number 1 line.

55. krob1000 says:

That last line of your post pretty well sums up why I haven’t gone off on them either. Every time Doc Brown does something zany it seems to work……..let’s hope it works again. Who knows maybe Sergei K can inspire Smolinski to get more invovled.

56. J.T. says:

Lapierre, Latendresse and Kostopoulos…one of these things is not like the others…one of these just doesn’t belong…can you guess which thing is not like the others…

The other fourth line…because as far as I can see, these combinations are making Lafleur at least half right…is even weirder than that one. Begin, Smoke and Kosty Jr.? Did the kid do something wrong? I know S.Kost and Latendresse both play LW, but I think Lats can play RW as well.

I don’t get the bottom two lines at all. But, then again, the last time I wondered about the lines, they all scored and the team won in a blowout. So what the heck do I know?

57. The Teacher says:

Misfits they might be, but face it, these are the guys who gotta get going.

Nothing? Except a car-bomb?

I expect you have shrugged off car-bombs pretty quickly from the sounds of it 😛