Liveblog: Undefeated – and unscored on – in the St. Denis era

homeswthome

A dominant performance against Carolina, which looked gosh-awful.

Improvised forward lines and a patchwork D blew the Hurricanes away.

1. Rickly33 says:

The trade winds are a blow’in. There’s a feeling lately, don’t know what, who, when, where, I think we all know why, but something is going on!

2. Muckbringer says:

a classic for all.
    viddy well.
    good night!

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.

Nelson Mandela

3. Mr. Biter says:

Where is Timo tonight? Just 3 points behind Laffs after TSN and CBC were allready planning the parade in Toronto.

Mr. Biter

• OneTimer says:

In case you haven’t noticed, his warty kind don’t come on here much after a win. He’s probably ranting about Jacques Martin this, Scott Gomez that in his kitchen while his wife and kids roll their eyes.

• savethepuck says:

TSN is to blame for the decline of the Leafs. A couple weeks ago they kept saying on Sports Center over and over again that the Leafs were 6 games over 500 in November for the first time since 2006. They should of done their research to know the Leafs didn’t make the playoffs that year either.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

4. G-Man says:

8-7-3 after starting 1-5-2? With all the vet D except Gorges out? Surely, JM is the worst coach ever!
    Blow that one out your behinds and chew on it awhile.

5. sane hockey fan says:

3 points out of the division lead with 64 games left…still wanna blow the entire organization up?

6. Danno says:

Habs have won 7 of their last 10 games and have 15 out of possible 20 points for that period.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Nice time on ice management for this game, the coaching staff did a great job IMO. Only Darche and Palushaj played less than 10 minutes and Plex was highest among forwards at 20:04. Even the D had roles. Subban and Gorges at around 25 mins a piece. Diaz, Emelin and Weber around 18 and St. Denis with 13.

Gomez had a point and was a +1, in a game where 12 players had points. On draws he was 2 and 8 for 20%. Plex was 52%, Nokia was 57%, DD was 53%, the team average… 46%. Gomez had 14:08 of ice time.

Pet peeve on a night where the home team blew out the visitor. Why doesn’t the coaching staff let the team spread ice time like it was in this game all the time? This is one of the few games this season where the Habs employed this type of ice management.

What ever the reasons not to, I see the type of game played tonight in terms of time on ice being spread out, as being a more viable strategy than over-playing a few veterans, not just on the long but on the short term too.

I think tonight could also dispel any notions that the Habs are a bottom feeding team. They might not be top 10 when all is said and done. But given their ability to compete even through diversity I can’t imagine this team being worse than 20th. They can still make top ten, especially if they are 15th or better by the time the new year rolls around.

It’s better to have a hovering around 500 or better first half of the season and play 650 for the rest of the way and make the play-offs that way than it is to have the best 1st half of the season and enter the play-offs having had the worst 2nd half. IMHHO of course.

• G-Man says:

They do raise hopes with nights like these, don’t they?
      Tomorrow night’s game and a good lead going into the 3rd allowed them to not overextend guys like Pleks tonight. The Canes helped a lot by really being undisciplined and loose play. The best part was the Habs taking advantage and being opportunistic.

• Muckbringer says:

confidence for all. they are young and played well against a team “they will have to battle for a playoff spot”

• habstrinifan says:

“They do raise hopes with nights like these, don’t they?”.

Well said!

I do like one element of this game though and I think Bob Mackenzie or some other of the TSN analyst talked about it.

The defense was NOT shooting ONLY from the point.. they were establishing, as the analyst put it, leaving the point and coming into a ‘middle area’. The opponents’ defense have to go out (spread0 and it gives more net to the shooter.

Weber’s goal was the one closest tot he point.. P.K’s was example of moving in off the point.

If you look back at the past few games where defensemne have contributed huge in scoring (gorges/P.K assist on Max Pac and Cole)… the defensemen got away from the point.

I agree witht he TSN analyst that if they continue to do this their attack and power play will improve.

• savethepuck says:

I have to chalk up the evening out of minutes to the fact that the team had a 2-0 lead in the first and were up 3-0 a little over 6 mins into the 2nd period. The 4-0 lead after 2 must of definitely helped that. I loved the lead because it should of meant that PK and Josh shouldn’t of had to play 30 mins each in the first game of a b2b. Save some legs. We got a team that’s 7-2-1 in their last 10 that after a 1-5-2 start ( that I still say they played well enough to be at least over 500 ) is in the mix for a lot of good things. Only 3 points out of the North East and only 6 points out of the Eastern Conference lead with lots of time left.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• HardHabits says:

The Habs most convincing wins thus far have come when they rolled four lines. Over taxing Plekanec, over relying on a few veteran players, benching a youngster for a mistake, taking penalties, tend to shorten the bench, which lead to games that are too close for my liking, or worse losses, and also tend to be a recipe for injuries.

• Muckbringer says:

gomez will find himself on the fourth methinks

• savethepuck says:

Definitely wasn’t disagreeing with your assessment, was only saying that the evened out minutes may of been a result of the scoreboard. I’m glad we got the big lead on the first night of a b2b so there was not more pressure on the coachinng staff in the last period and a half to ride our best players to get the 2 points.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• HardHabits says:

Very important on a back to back I agree. Thankfully. I just see it as a winning formula, even when trailing, as I see going for another goal when leading is a better strategy than simply protecting a lead.

I am also beginning to see a connection between converting scoring chances to goals ratio and how ice time is managed.

• JF says:

Good post. And it’s nice to see some positive comments from you!

8. JoeC says:

Tinordi and Gallager signed, but wish PG would sign the RFA’s on our team right now instead of signing the players that cant even play with us this year

• Sharks9 says:

Contract negotiations during the season can often be a distraction which is why they don’t do it. Plus, it’s easier to evaluate what a player should get after they play the whole season.

25 before 14

• ffenliv says:

Signing is something that both sides have to want. The RFAs are in no hurry to rush into a contract. They want to play out the year, and see if a good season can increase their value.

Gauthier can’t just demand they sign a contract, and the only way they sign now is for a lot of money.

• HardHabits says:

I think the Habs anticipate that these players will be playing with the big club sooner than later.

• savethepuck says:

Maybe he wants to see the new CBA before he starts committing huge dollars to some of our RFAs

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Early on in 1st period, Carolina PowerPlay, Eric Staal with a big shot and Price kicked it away into the corner. Big momentum shift early, If Staal scores he is off the schnaad and who knows how the team reacts.

Price didn’t have to make many but that was huge!

10. JoeC says:

Emelin was a monster tonight!! 7 hits and 7 blocked shots! He needs to start more games! Diaz was no where near as good.

I still want to see JM fired because this game was not JM hockey, hence why we dominated, we played what our team was built to do, offense

11. Sharks9 says:

Bit of bad news, NJ is going to win their game and knock us down to 9th. Hopefully we win tomorrow night as well so we can REALLY be in a playoff spot.

25 before 14

12. Jim Edson says:

Ok it was a win but the JM shell was evident in the 3rd.

Outshot 13-4 in the 3rd.

If Price hadn’t been particularly sharp and some key blocks by the defense there could have been a much different result.

The 3rd was again played in the Canadiens zone!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• citizenSanto says:

I find your premise fundamentaleaf flawed, and I beleaf you should probably root for another team.

—————————————
      Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
      — Augustine of Hippo

• sane hockey fan says:

I see what you did there…

• Jim Edson says:

A wordsmith with rose colored specs!

So clever!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

13. Sharks9 says:

Travis Moen has already equaled his goal total from last year! Why isn’t this guy getting more praise?

25 before 14

14. slapshot777 says:

Another piece of good news tonight in that the Habs have signed Gallagher to an entry level contract.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

15. Muckbringer says:

so…fire JM??? oui ou non? honestly i only came on to point something out about movember, great game given. rather than grow a stash (which anyone can do) and not really raise any scratch. why not grow the best stash and have people donate based upon how you take it off. i propose next year i grow one and take donations when i stick duct tape on my lip and fix it to a 4wheeler.
    any thoughts?

16. savethepuck says:

” Who are these guys?
    And what have they done with your Montreal Canadiens?”

Seriously Mr. Boone? Still the sarcasm for a team that is 7-2-1 in their last 10. Maybe it’s my bleu blanc et rouge glasses, but I saw a team that started 1-5-2 that could of easily been over 500 at that time.

Nice 3rd period btw by Carey, it was a good stat padder for those who focus on that stuff, considering that he was only at a 3.40 GAA and around an 870 sve% after those first 8 games.

Can’t wait for this team to get healthy!!

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

17. Danno says:

Such a great game by St. Denis.

They named a street after him

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Impressive play by the Habs tonight. Great for Price to get a shutout.

Enjoy having Emelin in the lineup.

wow, if Carolina keeps playing like that Maurice is going to get the heave hoe again from his buddy the GM there.

• Habfan10912 says:

I thought Emelin was good again tonight. He should be a fixture on our D the rest of the season. Good effort from Gomez tonight as well.

• savethepuck says:

Thought it was Emelin’s best game, and I’ve watched them all. I’ve never seen him do anything really bad in the others, but I thought he was usually not noticable. Tonight I noticed a lot of positive things he did. Things are going to be very interesting when our D gets healthy.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

19. Ton says:

amazing coaching tonight by Martin, in a playoff spot with all these injuries got to love it folks.

• citizenSanto says:

+10000

—————————————
      — Augustine of Hippo

20. slapshot777 says:

Habs moving up in the standings and only 3 points behind the Loafs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• savethepuck says:

And only 3 behind the Sabres for the division lead in the North East!!

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

21. Captain aHab says:

Moen has 6 goals and it’s not April. I keep reading that and not believing it.

22. Danno says:

I like this new children on defense daycare program.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. Propwash says:

Only managed to catch the 3rd period. Glad Price finally got a shutout.

24. habsfan reduxit says:

… Randy Ladouceur for God!! The kids are all right!

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

25. Rugger says:

Okay, in a play-off spot! (for 15 more minutes when NJ will move ahead of the Habs)

26. Marc10 says:

The team owed you this one Carey!

The St Denis era is off to a great start. Sure Carolina sucks, but tonight the they didn’t get a snif… and you know what, we’ll take it!

Ole! Ole!

27. twocents says:

You see Subban giving props to everyone as they skate off?

This is the kids’ team. Move Gionta, ditch Gomez. Give Gorges the C.
    Let the kids lead.