Another great game

And a W

The fans are getting spoiled

1. Keith says:

What a save!

2. Keith says:

I’m expecting a HUGE game from G&G tonight…and whoever plays with them.

3. Keith says:

Jean Perron, Carbo??

4. HFX-HabFan says:

Here we go!  5-2 Habs, we’ll get two on the PP tonight!

5. Malreg says:

At least he gets to save almost $1,000,000 when he’s in the AHL since he doesnt have to pay escrow.

6. dhenry1234 says:

its way better than that stupid simple plan song we had during our centenial season. I’d much prefer either of these:

or

7. HFX-HabFan says:

I got the Phoenix game on Aliant, but it was through the NHL Centre Ice promo.  It will be interesting to see if Aliant will get the new TSN regional thing up in time for the next one.

8. Propwash says:

As the soundguy for the U2 tribute band Joshua, I feel your pain.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

9. Habscore says:

I know this is not a main issue or priority for the Habs Org…but can they please change that U2 Vertigo song when our boys score??? It’s seriously driving me nuts

……………………………………………………………….

YES HABS CAN!!

10. habsfansince91 says:

i don’t think he minds, he’s getting paid regardless

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I bought one of those blue hockey fights cancer tie’s last year,  it’s pretty sweet.  I think I’ll go buy another one,  maybe the dark blue.

12. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I’d like to see Eller back on a line Plekanec and Cammy.  With Eller on that line we can move AK to play with Gionta and Gomez.  AK has the size needed for that line and Eller played with the other two during the preseason.  From what I remember the Eller looked pretty good up there on the first line.

13. WestHab says:

I thought it was just my PC back from the Theodore days.

14. Mr.Hazard says:

Hear about Souray’s hand that’s injured now, because of a fight in the AHL? I mean, as if this guy didn’t have enough problems!

15. WestHab says:

He was my choice for Montreal but Gainey didn’t listen. go figure.

16. WestHab says:

I like Boyd as well but until a loss or injury he’ll be out. I’d like to say that would take forever but it will be soon enough.

17. Mike Boone says:

Hartley’s good. I’m not naming names, but there are worse ex-coaches bloviating on Montreal Radio & TV.

18. RJB says:

Spacek needs to step up tonight, I think he can do it! Lets go boys!!!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

19. andrewberkshire says:

This site sure makes it difficult to upload a picture.

20. helluva habs fan says:

If it’s a special case where it only applies to calls when a goal is scored… then maybe it could work. I’d still rather they do without. The onus has to be on the referees on the ice to make the right call… last night was a rare case of a complete BS non-call.

21. Chuck says:

It’s A Long Way To The Top on the Bell Centre P.A… nice!

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

22. HFX-HabFan says:

For the benefit of those who didn’t see earlier today (that includes you, Boone):

Since we’re up against the Isles tonight, here is a roster you may find interesting- it’s comprised of NHLers who made their league debut in an Islanders uniform.  Consider:

Niederreiter-Tavares-Okposo

Bertuzzi-Connolly-Hunter

Torres-Bailey-Comeau

Tay Pyatt-Nielsen-Godard

Bergenheim

Chara-McCabe

Brewer-Martinek

Campoli-Strudwick

Hillen

Luongo

DiPietro

Total cost: $54.51mil, or $4.8mil under the cap.  Having Luongo in nets and Chara, McCabe and Brewer on the backline certainly wouldn’t hurt today’s version of the Isles.  And yet somehow CBC, NBC, and NESN all see Mike Milbury as an “expert” analyst.

23. Wayne says:

(and)… only if it determined the outcome of a game. On the other hand, the crease rule did squat for the Sabres way back when, didn’t it. So yeah, in the end, it may only gum up the flow.

24. TommyB says:

Hmmm, nice work if you can get it.  It’s always good to be King.

25. Exit716 says:

Well the rink is named after him.

26. Wayne says:

He’s got one. The King of Hawkesbury. . …..(crickets)

27. TommyB says:

That Bob Hartley, he is a genius isn’t he?  Someone offer him a job.

28. TommyB says:

I definitely see and understand what you are saying, and agree for the most part, but a called goal that was clearly shown to be the result of goaltender interference is hardly a minor infraction.  A game could rest on that call.  Take it to a playoff game, and all hell could break loose.

29. TommyB says:

True.  So I can see where this kind of thing could really get way out of hand, but I think it will eventually happen in some shape or form.  Maybe after the next lockout/strike.

30. RGM says:

I just got the email as well. Hopefully they get it secured by Friday. Aliant has already had the channel since Monday – I am very close to changing providers. Between the sign-up deal, the extra perks, etc., it might just be time.

31. helluva habs fan says:

I don’t think it could ever be adapted to hockey. Officiating in hockey is completely different from other sports in that everything is grey area. Yes there are defined rules, but all referees let minor infractions go all the time – otherwise there’d be a penalty every minute. They have to pick and choose and if something goes uncalled and a coach can challenge, then the video judges are forced to go by the book… penalty is called every time.

If it were EVER instituted, there would have to be a bench minor penalty if the call stands. Coaches would try for it EVERY game otherwise.

32. andrewberkshire says:

Gomez started out slow last year too. Realistically it’s impossible for him to have that bad of a season, despite what his detractors on this site seem to hyperbolize, he’s a very talented player, and will no doubt get 50+ points no matter what. He nearly hit 60 last year with Gionta missing 20 games.

33. VancouverHab says:

Why Gill but not Gomez (& Cammi & Moen)? They are all alike veterans who know that the playoffs alone count, and they (esp. Moen & Gomez & Gionta) have Stanley Cup-winning experience to know that you save lots in the tank for the real season.

34. The M says:

i have much more faith in this years team than last years.  i think the Habs are much improved.

Except for Gomez, the Habs should waive him

35. RGM says:

It does but it’s very limited in scope. The challenge would exist for more discretionary things like goalie interference, an offside, or things that aren’t already covered by the rule for video review.

36. HotHabs says:

any goalie in his 20′s should be able to handle 60-70 games.  but, in the last decade the load has been shared more than that.

I, too, have noticed Gill’s pilonesque play since the new season began.  He was playing with so much more intensity at the end of last season and throughout the playoffs.  I’d love to see him that way again.

Just yesterday I was talking with a colleague about the insane amount of money that “underachiever” Gomez pulls in.  It must eat at management every game he goes without making any impact.

Oh, one other thing… as each game passes I ache thinking about losing Moore.

37. TommyB says:

In a way, this already exists doesn’t it?  A coach can appeal to a ref to “go upstairs” if he feels a called goal is or isn’t actually a legal goal.

38. HotHabs says:

no penalty if ruling stands.  coach just wasted a challenge – that’s it.  you get “x” amount/game and if you are wrong, too bad. my guess is if they ever go this way, they will start with one challenge per game so as not to kill much time.

39. habsfansince91 says:

it’s on channel 402 on Bell

40. SeriousFan09 says:

If they can do it for stick measurements, sure why not.

41. TommyB says:

Too harsh.  If I’m coaching, I’d have to be awfully certain I could overturn the ruling if I would recieve a bench minor for being wrong.  That’s where I see a problem with this coach’s challenge thing.

42. TommyB says:

In all fairness, what have the Islander fans had to cheer about since their glory days with Bossy, Trottier, etc.? Kind of like the Leaf fans, but maybe they are smarter and stay home.

43. Propwash says:

2 minute penalty if the ruling stands?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

44. TommyB says:

Interesting scoop.

45. TommyB says:

Coach’s challenge!  An interesting concept, and maybe one that’s time has come.  Officials don’t always get it right, ask the Miami Dolphins.  The only argument against this idea that I can see the league having, is the time factor.  They always like to point to the time factor and ways of speeding up the game, and seem to be dead set against anything that might add 2 minutes to a game or telecast (see the rule on Delay of Game).  If I were a betting man…wait, I am a betting man…I would have to say we will see something of this sort in the next couple of years.  The discussion would revolve around what the “penalty” would be to the team if the challenge does not overturn the referee’s call.  Loss of the timeout?  What if you have already used your timeout?  This ain’t football, right!

46. Kristopher7 says:

LOL, check out the Islanders official site.

Is their fan base that pathetic? Is the Habs fan/Islander fan ratio like 30:1 for their home games?

Keith,

Any idea how  i find what channel this new TSN channel is??

48. win4ce says:

I’d like to see Boyd back in the lineup. He scored our first goal when we desperately needed one to turn the momentum against Toronto and has worked hard during his limited ice time. I feel like he hasn’t gotten a fair shot and would like to see more of him (he was good in the few televised preseason games but barely got any ice time in the regular season games he’s been in). I love Darche; hard working, always positive and even when he’s benched he takes it like a man and just works harder next time (when he played 0:00 in a playoff game, he took the high road and didn’t blame the coach once). Just seems like Boyd can do the job Darche can do equally as well if not better and Boyd is younger with the potential to get better. Darche is the 13th man and is a great choice when we have an injury and he needs to play from time to time to stay in game shape, but I think Boyd should have that 12th roster spot.

49. Lafrich says:

Could not agree more. I have been perplexed by this revolving door of LWs that apparently can’t play with those two guys. If G and G were tearing it up, and no one was fitting in, that would be one thing. But they are pretty much sucking in the production department and I am astonished by the press and everyone else for that matter in thinking that they need a winger to make the line happen.

I think Gomez and Gionta MUST MUST MUST be split up!!! AND I think it is time to stop thinking of Gomez as an offensive top 6 guy.

Maybe Eller with Gionta and Pouliot? And have Gomez with Moen and whoever else as the premier shutdown line? Modano went through the same transition and became very useful.

Gomez can continue to get 18 mins a game if he plays PP and PK, but having him on that second line for regular shifts has become useless.

50. JIMVINNY says:

Re: Gomez.  35-40 pts and you’d have to bury him.  Unless he followed the regular season up with a Conn Smythe.

Re: 70 games.  At 23 years old, 70 games is no problem.  It didn’t hurt Brodeur until he was in his 30′s.  Price will be fine.

Re: Gill.  He always steps it up for the playoffs.  Don’t expect much until then.

51. Bill says:

Pessimistically:

It’s too soon to say that Gomez and his contract have become the proverbial albatross around the neck, but it’s probably only a little too soon. If he puts up 35-40pts with his ice-time this year and can’t contribute much else … the Habs will have to bury him.

What’s going to happen when Auld plays a game? We don’t really know what to expect, and I don’t really want to see Price play 70 games. It’s not healthy.

Gill – who is perhaps my favourite Hab after last year’s playoffs – has been getting wrecked. He’s total pylon right now. I love the guy, but can he pull it back together to be the defensive force he was in the 1st and 2nd rounds?

52. Former Jets Fan says:

thanks for the replies, fellas.

53. Bill says:

Optimistically:

It’s early in the season and every year there are players who take a while to break out. This year we are lucky to have the 1st line rolling in mid-season form. Perhaps it’s just a matter of time before G-G snap out of it. In Gionta’s case, I’d say that’s a certainty.

How lucky are the Habs to be in this situation without Markov?? Consider how their winning percentage zoomed up last year after his return and there is definitely cause for optimism.

Great contributions from the 3rd and fourth lines. They’re just chewing up minutes and not giving an inch. Halpern is a god-send on the faceoff draw.

Last year’s question marks are this year’s happy surprises: Price has been awesome, Kostitsyn is a force, and I’m even liking Pouliot’s game. He’s skating, hitting, and basically not being invisible. Goals will come. I don’t care what the TV guys say, I saw him score a bunch of goals last year that were pure “goal-scorer’s goals”.

54. GrimJim says:

According to Capgeeek.com:

Hamrlik: KNOWN CLAUSES: NTC (full NTC until Feb. 1, 2009; from Feb. 1, 2009, to Feb. 1, 2011, can designate six teams in each conference he will accept a trade to; no NTC beyond that)

Spacek: KNOWN CLAUSES: Limited NTC

55. Habifax says:

For anyone with Eastlink on the east coast I sent an email to inquire about the new TSN channel with the additional games here is the response……..

Sorry to others who are not concerned.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

TSN has introduced a new channel for eastern Canada (Bellville Ontario,
    East) called TSN Alternative. This channel will carry only Montreal
    Canadians games (in English) and remain blank the remainder of the time.
    We are in negotiations in order to provide this channel.

Currently the same Montreal Canadians games scheduled to be carried on
    the new TSN Alternative channel are available to EastLink customers that
    subscribe to RDS (Part of the French Variety Package) in the Maritimes
    and Atlantic. In order to provide an interim alternative to our Maritime
    and Atlantic customers, EastLink will discount the French Variety Theme
    in Maritimes and Atlantic to $2.00/month from the regular price of
    $4.00. This theme will provide EastLink Customers access to RDS and the
    same Montreal Canadians games (in French) available on the TSN
    alternative channel.

The $2.00 discount will be in effect until June, 2011 and will then
    revert to the regular theme price of $4.00. Customers can at that time
    continue or cancel that service.

Please do not hesitate to call one of our friendly Customer Service
    Representatives for more information or to add the French Variety Pack
    to your services,

Eastlink Customer Care

1-888-345-1111

56. Danno says:

Cool avatar!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

57. SeriousFan09 says:

I know Hamrlik’s NTC is he can give a list of 3 teams in each Conference he is willing to accept a trade to. Spacek’s might be similar but I know no details beyond limited NTC which likely means he can give a list of teams he’ll accept a trade to, or it might be his NTC doesn’t count if Habs miss the playoffs.

58. Former Jets Fan says:

do you know what his NTC is?  List of certain teams?  Right to veto? Does it expire at some point?  While I’m at it, what do you know about Hamrlik’s NTC?

Getting rid of Spacecakes would be my wet dream…..Isles have the cap space and could use someone with offensive upside [snicker....but that's the bill of goods we were sold on], Ducks need all the help they can get.

59. Wops says:

From Mario Tremblay, ahha, I love it.

“With Gomez at 7.4 and Gionta at 5, can’t they make the left winger better instead of the other way around?”

60. SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is Spacek has a limited NTC and might not feel like moving on to another team, I doubt any team looking to contend is going to see him as the missing piece and at his age, I doubt he wants to be on a team that doesn’t have a chance of seeing playoffs and going for the Cup.

61. DLHABSNUT65 says:

DLHABSNUT65

I was liking Boyd and I figured that the goals aren’t plentiful and the PP is…well…Powerless! Your point is well taken! I just hope he gets back in there but, I hope it doesn’t take a loss for it to happen! Can’t wait for Markov’s return and hopefully a better PP!!

62. sidhu says:

I like Gagnon’s idea of trying to move Spacek instead of taking Picard out of the lineup. Picard has played well enough to earn a spot on the team, and Spacek has not been as solid.  Plus Spacek makes $3m+ this year and next year.  OB can remain the 7th D.

63. DLHABSNUT65 says:

DLHABSNUT65

Point taken! Haha!

64. Tobiass says:

With that much punctuation, how can JM not listen!!!????

:-P

65. Komihater says:

That’s funny because i only wear the plastic protector and not the neck guard, and the past 2 weeks i got back to back shots to my collar bone, both hurt like hell and were bruised and bleeding. I’m gonna go get a good neck guard. Probly would also help if i didnt turn my head slightly and take the puck head on.

66. Mark C says:

Simple answer, Boyd was replaced after a weak game and the team hasn’t lost since. Most coaches in any sport at any level dislike changing a winning line-up.  I would guess, barring an injury that Boyd is inserted back in the line-up following the next Habs loss (hopefully at least a few weeks from now).

67. DLHABSNUT65 says:

DLHABSNUT65

I know we’re winning and I shouldn’t complain but, why is Boyd not playing? Only 4 players have more goals and he’s tied for the best shooting % on the team. They’re searching for a winger with Gionta and Gomez!! Maybe I’m missing something here but, I thought they were gonna try him with G & G and then he was in the pressbox!! I don’t get it!! Are Darche and Pyatt playing that well?? How about Lapierre?? I’m thinking Boyd is a better scorer!! He skates well!! I’m sure he’s just as physical!! Anyone else make any sense of it??

68. petrov14 says:

I always thought the “dangly” looked cool.

69. _Habsoloutly_ says:

SWEET!!!!

70. Mr.Hazard says:

Cherry: “KIDS YA GOTTA GET YOUR STICKS OUT ODDA WAY *drool*. DONT GO STICKIN YOUR STICKS IN FRONT MAKIN THE PUCKS DEFLECGT ALL OVER DA PLACE”

71. Bill says:

Another screened, tipped-in goal on Price! His bad luck hasn’t totally deserted him.

72. scrowe21 says:

that wasn’t a deflection. it didnt touch spacek, Price got caught looking around the wrong way..

73. Chuck says:

Well, you can’t stop what you can’t see, unless you’re lucky enough for it to hit you.

74. TomNickle says:

Last one wasn’t tipped and Price was looking the wrong way but man can our defensemen please start taking guys out of Price’s lap.

75. Taipei 101 says:

Whatever happened to clearing in front of your net? Was Spacek looking for his Mom in the stands?

76. twilighthours says:

If Lappy had either of his tap-ins tonight, there’d be a nice cushion.

77. Da Hema says:

You just know that if a Hab even casts a look at an Islander, we will get a penalty.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

78. topher5468 says:

Thats twice tonight, same as the first goal, It’s our ineffective PP thats killing us though

79. C3P1 says:

so the puck made a 90 degree turn in mid air on its own accord?  and made it through price’s head to hit the middle of the net without making any noise? WOW!

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

80. Chuck says:

TSN just showed the replay… looked like it changed direction.

81. showey47 says:

who the heck were you passing to gomez,if you have no play and want to get off dump it in the corner

82. Bill says:

Replay shows it hit three sticks.

83. TomNickle says:

Just saw the replay, yes it was tipped.

Price was still looking the wrong way and our defensemen could at least try to clear the front of the net.

84. Da Hema says:

Sure looked like it.

————————\

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

85. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

that’s exactly what I was just yelling at my tv!

86. C3P1 says:

considering the goal was scored by doug weight, and wiz took the shot, it was most def deflected.  glad we can put that to bed.

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

87. scrowe21 says:

yeah Dough Weight got it, missed that one.

88. topher5468 says:

Losing Patience with him

89. TomNickle says:

You do know that I didn’t tip it in right?  Take a breath.

90. kempie says:

JM calls a TO? Was that an accident?

91. Hockey Socks says:

Two players who could’ve made a difference clearing the slot tonight: Ryan O’Byrne or Alex Henry.

92. Bill says:

He seemingly never has a play.

93. TomNickle says:

O’Byrne would have chosen not to clear the front of the net.

94. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

ANDREI KOSTITSYN!!!

MAN!

WOOO

95. HFX-HabFan says:

And Jack Hillen craps the bed.

96. petrov14 says:

Thank-you AK46!!!!

97. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

oh Andre, how I love you!

98. kempie says:

Wings on AK!!!!

99. topher5468 says:

Hey, Spatch hit the Net

100. Bill says:

Oh, Gomez … the bridge to nowhere.

101. HFX-HabFan says:

All these stupid point shots!

102. Mr.Hazard says:

Tabarnaque

103. Hockey Socks says:

Who the hell is Martin?

104. petrov14 says:

Damn this wasknowski guy

105. dhenry1234 says:

Beautiful goal!

106. Bryan says:

WOW!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

107. petrov14 says:

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

PLEKANEC!

112. larisalapointe says:

Talk about secondary scoring…woohoo

113. Danno says:

Moen the grass!

Sexy Plexy the Turtleneck Man Rules!

Vive Le Col Roulé!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

114. petrov14 says:

ARRGGGG!

115. Keith says:

Damnit! Hate when that happens, screened shot.

116. ShangaDoo says:

MOEN the GRASS!!

hahah, i like it

117. topher5468 says:

Price tried to peak and moved the wrong way, oopps

118. mfDx says:

Plekanec just schooled Gomez on how to play with Moen.

Bank it off him.

119. Chuck says:

Holy hell! Get your sticks out of the way on a shot from the point!

120. HFX-HabFan says:

Penguins score two short-handed in a sixty-one second span.  Looks like the TB PP has some work to do.

121. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Plek’s is deadly on the PK.  He definately earns his contract out there. Dangerous 5 on 5,  dangerous on the PP,  and dangerous on the PK.

122. scrowe21 says:

Seemed like Gionta could have cleared that with a little more effort.. I was just in the middle of saying that, and they scored.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

123. Wayne says:

lol – doink, est le but

124. Wayne says:

lol – doink, est le but

125. Keith says:

PK is definately a targeted man in the NHL. I have every confidence that he’ll give as much as he gets.

126. twilighthours says:

Plex and Ryan Kesler signed the same deal.  As a result, hockey pundits said that Plex was overpaid.

Thru 9 games…

Plex: 3 g, 5a, +3

Kesler: 3g, 1a, -1

PK is hockey poetry in motion. He’s got some sick moves, a booming shot, he’s strong and fast and passes well. What a draft pick!!

128. Wamsley01 says:

It hit Gorges knee. It was going wide.

129. Exit716 says:

That was a very weak call for the penalty on PK. Seriously.

130. twilighthours says:

PS – that penalty on Subban was balogne.

131. Da Hema says:

Hi folks:

Does anyone have a link to the game?

ADTHE.Net doesn’t have one to the game.

Thanks.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

132. oshawahabsfan says:

Solid period. Getting scored on in the last minute is always a bit of a downer, however if they keep up the pace and pressure of that first period, they will be fine. I’d like to see a PP goal tonight, need to get back to making teams fear our powerplay as they have in past seasons

133. SeriousFan09 says:

RDS Feed.

134. SeriousFan09 says:

At the moment, the best defencemen out of the 2007 draft class. How ’bout that, Habs haven’t done that since 1998 with Markov.

135. oshawahabsfan says:

There ya go hippo! Suprisingly there’s no TSN feed up there tonight, usually always is

136. Exit716 says:

Now look, I loves the kid but he’s gots a big mouth…”

Kingston’s Village Idiot.

137. Da Hema says:

Thanks!

By the way, your avatar is quite fetching!

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

138. Da Hema says:

Thanks Serious, you “troller” ;-)

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

Well folks, we are being treated to the game of hockey in Montreal this year. It has been a long time in coming, Merci Mr. Gainey and now Gauthier.

Two last games are being played just wonderfully. I could watch this style of play every night. And PK gets everyone’s juices going. This is going to be the year boys and girls, mark my words.

140. oshawahabsfan says:

Haha thank you, I’ve always wondered what was with the hippo for yours? Very amusing avatar for sure

141. Keith says:

I hope yer right Ian.

142. petrov14 says:

NYI commentary feed http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-nhl-3.html

143. dhenry1234 says:

I thought the same

Calder and Norris this year? Imagine if he’s a candidate for both!!!!

145. Wayne says:

“This is going to be the year boys and girls, mark my words.”

Love your optimism Ian… now put that beer down and take 2 steps back. Kidding, glad you’re enjoying yourself, you desrve it, mate.

146. Chuck says:

Thanks for the clarification. The RDS guys said that it was definitely directed, so I assumed it was the stick.

147. TomNickle says:

Yeah it sure does.  Chip play out of your end and Kessel takes it the distance and rips one.

Or you drop pass to him and he rips one.

Or you shoot on the powerplay and he’s standing back door for the tap in.

148. Da Hema says:

Well, you don’t get anything extra for a pretty goal. I’m happy.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

149. twilighthours says:

PK Subban is already the best defenseman on the Canadiens.  And when Markov returns, he;ll be a close second.

I think Darche tapped it in.

151. Bill says:

Haha, right, those numbnuts review this one and let that goal by the Leafs last night stand. WHAT ARE THEY REVIEWING FOR??

152. topher5468 says:

GG line has no sustained pressure, they need to pick it up

153. Bryan says:

HUGE goal!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

154. twilighthours says:

I hate that phrase: “good goal”

What exactly would a *bad* goal be?

155. _Habsoloutly_ says:

PK is one of the best in the NHL as far as I’m concerned.

156. SeriousFan09 says:

Throw it at the net!!! Crosby and Kane did the same and scored the biggest goals of 2010.

You get rewarded for just shooting sometimes, moral of the game.

157. Bill says:

Awesome hustle by Pouliot.

158. HFX-HabFan says:

Come on Benny, exact your revenge on the penalty shot!

159. joeybarrie says:

HEY POULIOT……. GOOD TRY… WORKING FOR THE LEAFS YESTERDAY…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

160. Hockey Socks says:

Pouliot on his knees is as tall as Gionta.

161. TomNickle says:

Kris Versteeg through 8 games has a goal and an assist is minus 2 playing top 6 minutes.

Viktor Stalberg as of tonight has three goals and no assists and is a plus four playing bottom six.

Who won that trade Burkie?

162. topher5468 says:

Damn it, Islanders announcers keep calling him Poullio. I cant take it

163. Wayne says:

Drum roll please

164. scrowe21 says:

almost had it from his knees! damn that woulda been awesome

Last penalty shot score by Habs was Lats versus Auld.

166. SeriousFan09 says:

Not to mention, Stalberg’s been scratched at least once.

167. twilighthours says:

Rollie is acting like a baby.

168. Da Hema says:

Oh well. A power play probably would have produced the same result.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

169. TomNickle says:

Awesome stat, date?

170. Wayne says:

Lame, sorry to say…..

171. habfab14120 says:

Agree, except the color guy has it right, just the play-by-play guy is screwing it up.

172. TomNickle says:

I laughed when they traded Stalberg.  He’ll be just a notch below Kadri and a whole mess of notches better than Bozak.

He was their best player when he played last year.

173. Malreg says:

Wasn’t that when Benoit Brunet called Latendresse the best natural goal scorer on the Habs?

174. Habsrule1 says:

I think Pouliot should be on the GG line for the next 1 games, but it sure did not look like he tried all that much on the penalty shot.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

175. topher5468 says:

Agreed, he showed shot the whole way. I can’t bust on Benny, he’s playing much better of late.

176. habs4real says:

never put Pouliot in a shootout.

such a weak effort. has no idea what to do with a puck.

177. psyko514 says:

NHL.com is giving the 4th goal to Darche, not Halpern.

Not sure. If I heard correctly its what the RDS announcer said.

179. psyko514 says:

Sad but true :(

180. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t get crazy, Phil Kessel?

He was definitely the best of their ‘hyped’ prospects entering the NHL.

181. Bill says:

Ha, Benny’s not anyone’s idea of a 1 on 1 terror! He did better getting knee-capped by the D-man on the original play …

182. topher5468 says:

Butch Goring, I like him

183. psyko514 says:

Back to Halpern now with Pouliot and Price getting the assists.

184. TomNickle says:

Stalberg is currently and will be better than Bozak.

He won’t be Kessel, I think a good comparable would be a guy like Halpern actually.

185. Wayne says:

Well Bill, it looked like a total loss of confidence in his scoring ability or ” F it, i don’t care, trade me” kinda shot.

186. SeriousFan09 says:

Playing next to Kessel does help inflate scoring totals, Gorges’s best season for points comes from playing next to Markov for a long stretch in 08-09.

187. petrov14 says:

Uhhh, I mean good penalty…..

188. petrov14 says:

Lame penalty

189. TheDagger says:

Yeah… he’s a jackass.

190. punkster says:

Mcguire is definitely a dork. A definite dork. A dork definitely.

Did I miss anything there?

191. Wayne says:

Yup… a definitive dork.

192. Former Jets Fan says:

I’ll play….

Boyd-Gomez-Gionta — Boyd has the speed to keep up, a little bit of jam, and showed some offensive prowess in the WHL

Pouliot-Eller-Lapierre —– this is a combo I’m dying to see.

Moen-Halpern-Pyatt/Darche

193. Mike says:

I would like Martin to try:

Ak-Pleks-Gionta
    x-Gomez-Cammy

Discuss

194. notbigbird says:

I would Martin to keep together the line that is clicking.

195. helluva habs fan says:

Ditto. The Pleks line is too good right now to mess with.

196. andrewberkshire says:

Never break up a working 1st line for a 2nd line. Just like you never break up a working 2nd line for a 3rd line and so on and so forth.

197. Barts says:

Ya lets break up the line that’s actually putting up points.

198. helluva habs fan says:

How about alternately double-shifting Cammy and AK46 on the Gomez line? It’s not a permanent solution and you wouldn’t do it for the whole game, but for the time being why not? They’re currently both playing under 20 inutes a game, so as long as the minutes don’t pile up too high, why not get more use out of them? They might just give G&G the creative inspiration they need.

199. StevieRay says:

Don’t tinker with our # 1 line

Pouloit Eller Gionta

Moen Gomez Laps

Good post, Tommy.  Some other people have pointed this out but I think it’s worth repeating.  Instead of asking what others can do to fit in on this line, maybe  we should be asking what Gionta and Gomez are doing to help their left winger (regardless of whom that might be) fit in.  I can’t believe that Gionta will be like this all fall and Gomez started off slowly last year.  I’d leave Pouliot with them for the first 20 games.  Every other candidate is being asked to play a role that is way over his head (due to his skill level or age).  It only takes a few games (or PP goals) to start the 2nd line clicking again.

201. TommyB says:

Habs are 5-2-1 through the first eight games, so yeah, what the hell is wrong and how can we fix it?  Now, sarcasm aside, this has been accomplished without our best player (arguably), and with a PP that is lacking power.  The latter should be fixed when the former returns.  The issue with the G&G line isn’t as urgent as some make it out to be, but certainly the line needs to get going.  As Andrew and others have pointed out, you don’t take apart the only line that is putting points up on the board.  LEAVE THAT ALONE!  Gomez and Gionta’s “slump” does not go back to last year.  They were both outstanding in the playoffs.  Pouliot, on the other hand, does seem to be carrying over his struggles from last year.  I like Pouliot, and I think he will come around.  Until he does, he should not be considered top 6 up front.  How can he get it going if he has to play on the 3rd or 4th line some of you might ask?  Simple.  Work his a$$ off and force his coach to put him back on the second line.  In the meantime, I think the best candidate to play on that line with G&G would be Eller.  JM has other ideas, and he is the coach.   He has the right to work it out in his own way.  If the Habs were 2-5-1, I would feel a lot more uncomfortable, but sitting at 5-2-1 going into game 9 seems like a pretty good carry-over from last April.  I’ll take it.

202. StevieRay says:

say what …?????????????????????? to many syllables

203. larisalapointe says:

Ask and ye shall receive. lol

204. SeriousFan09 says:

Price is sharp and PP has some good movement, the volume of that ping says something about PK’s shot as well.

205. C3P1 says:

he didnt even get all of it…it was a rolling puck! and you could see it wobble! kid has skilllllz

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

206. HFX-HabFan says:

Darche: the guy has tremendous heart and always gives it his all, he just lacks hockey sense the majority of the time.

207. HFX-HabFan says:

McGuire on the penalty: “that’s pretty graphic.”

What, did Hammer stab him in the face?

208. showey47 says:

pleky has to win those defensive zone faceoffs.

209. larisalapointe says:

Halpern is like that thing you bought on sale, but later realized you shoulda bought alot more of.

210. Habscore says:

Skillz you say??..The boy’s got Magic!!!!……..and skillz!

……………………………………………………………….

YES HABS CAN!!

211. Habhopeful says:

“Cammalleri’s hot stick”

yes im immature…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

212. MikeMcLaren says:

If there’s a Pierre McGuire drinking game, they need to add “Cammalleri’s hot stick” to it.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

213. Bryan says:

Please get Moen off of that line!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

214. Bill says:

Big saves at both ends.

215. SeriousFan09 says:

Price’s 1 bad decision with puck per game officially covered. He needs to work with the Ds about who should be ready to get the puck on certain situations.

216. Bryan says:

Darche Vader!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

217. petrov14 says:

PK is soooooo smooth!

218. Wayne says:

Subban- Magical

219. HFX-HabFan says:

Nice to see our thirteenth forward cash in.  Great work by Subban at the point.

220. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Darchebag!

221. MikeMcLaren says:

ALL Subban there.  Nicely done.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

222. andrewberkshire says:

Aside from Metro on the PP last year, I don’t remember our bottom 6 ever being as effective as it’s been in the first few games this year. It’s beautiful.

223. Danno says:

A Subbanian spinnarama!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

224. Keith says:

Darche witha beauty tip! 1-0!

225. showey47 says:

great defensive play by subban

226. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Subban on FIRE!

227. SeriousFan09 says:

I could watch Subban skate all day, amazing for a rookie.

228. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I’d love to hear a huge “PK! PK!” chant at the Bell during the next break

229. Habhopeful says:

im in the process of wetting myself…excuse me…wow!

230. Bill says:

Inspired shift by Eller, Laps, and Pyatt.

231. showey47 says:

I agree,it didn’t work the other 12 times. The bakers dozen isn’t going to give any different results. I really wish it would though cause we need some scoring from that line.

232. habsfaninboston says:

……..and that wraps it up.

233. twilighthours says:

A deserved win.  MTL was the much better team for 53 minutes.

Picard is a really nice pickup.  Great 6th D-man.

234. showey47 says:

I’d love to hear 21,273 people chanting “we love tits”,lol

235. Chuck says:

Hopefully he scores a goal a week from Saturday so that we can do something about that.  :)

236. joeybarrie says:

Can anything go wrong for AK???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

237. Norm0770 says:

Hockey wise right now, no, but check out his family tree…

238. Hockey Socks says:

See you Friday.

239. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I hope PK gets a star in this one

240. habfab14120 says:

I go to the empty net, look for bad passes and I score goals.

241. Danno says:

Bless you Brother Andrei!

Le Frère Andrei est fier de porter La Sainte Flanelle.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

242. notbigbird says:

They played really well. It shouldn’t have been close. But it was a home game. :)

243. BJT says:

Bill J, habs win 5-3, you called it! Even got the islanders shots dead on too!

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

244. Chuck says:

Big difference between last year and this year:

Last year bad luck goals cost Carey wins. This season, they’re just hurting his SV% and GAA.

245. Keith says:

HUGE WIN!!! Watched it on the big 46 inch Sony Bravia so I wasn’t blogging much. What a difference!

246. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrei Kostitsyn now has more goals scored than anyone from the 2003 draft class.

I’m just sayin’…

247. sholi2000.com says:

lol, last week certain trolls said this was a 500 team.

mmmmmmmm crow!

The Team that Gainey Built Looks Pretty Damn Good Right Now!

They Call Me Shane

248. JF says:

The three-star selection is a joke.  How did James Wisniewski not get a star over Price?  He had a goal and two assists.  They should go back to the old way of choosing the stars or exercise their right to over-ride the fans’ choice.

249. Big Ted says:

The first line played another great game.

The second line played another second-rate game.

The 3rd and 4th lines plugged along and got some goals but they don’t inspire a lot of confidence as a group to be able to keep it up. It’s concerning. The second line needs to get going and I hope JM goes back to Pouliot because there is no one else capable of doing the job. That, or he needs to swap Cammy for Gionta.

Subban played another monster game at both ends, Gorges was solid as usual, and Picard was pretty good again, unlike Spacek, who 100% needs to be the guy who sits. even if Markov is not back next game, I’d rather see Ryan O’Byrne in there.

250. sholi2000.com says:

I’ve been saving that one for a while :)

They Call Me Shane

251. sholi2000.com says:

meh, does it really matter? (1984, Platinum Blonde)

They Call Me Shane

252. Aybara says:

To be fair we’ve only played 9 games…. But healthy no way we end up 500

253. BJT says:

Price with an assist!

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

254. sholi2000.com says:

Take it when you can get it son!

They Call Me Shane

255. Bob_Sacamano says:

Last year I went nuts having him on the ice in the last two minutes protecting a 1 goal lead. Not anymore, he has just been great. Clearly our best winger so far. If it wasn´t for Plekanec our best player…

So I’d say the system is gelling.

I do believe the magical number is 11 wins in 20 games or less.

I think as penance Xtra should buy a Price jersey and take a pic with him in it as his new avatar.

258. SeriousFan09 says:

Your Bulldogs Report:

Battling back in a wild come from behind win, the Hamilton Bulldogs scored 4 goals in the 3rd period to beat the Syracuse Crunch 5-4. Max Pacioretty opened the scoring with a goal in the first period (his first of the season), than a scoring flurry with goals by Kyle Klubertanz, Andrew Conboy, JT Wyman and Yannick Weber in the course of just over 7 minutes in the 2nd half of the 3rd period won the match. Pacioretty assisted on both the the initial go-ahead goal and than the winning goal by Yannick Weber who notched his 6th goal of the season. Mayer’s stats could’ve been better, despite only 12 shots over 3 periods by Syracuse, 4 goals were scored. The return of Curtis Sanford to mentor Mayer would probably not hurt or at least take a game or two.

Aaron Palushaj, Ryan White, Andreas Engqvist and David Desharnais each had assists and JT Wyman had an assist to go with the initial go-ahead goal for Hamilton and Klubertanz added an assist to his scoring totals as well. Ian Schultz recorded a fight (not sure if he won).

259. twocents says:

Chuck,

Did he make some sort of vow?

260. Aybara says:

I support this

261. Norm0770 says:

Can’t take Cammy away from Plekanec and Kostitsyn.  I think the problem with the second line is not what winger to put with Gionta and Gomez, but what centre to put with Gionta and Pouliot.

262. Wops says:

Amen, Carey played really well even though he finishes with 86% save percentage…

After one of the tip goals Carey was pissed at Space and gave him the look. got to love it

So many goddamn tips

263. RJB says:

Great win, Darche was fantastic. Loved the drive to the net on the Halpern goal, tonight he did exactly what he’s supposed to do. Keep it up!

- Bilbo Baggins

264. ooder says:

missed the game due to class… nice to see the boys winning.

was it a good game?

the shots would indicate that the habs dominated but that could be misleading

u know what i like about these wins.. unlike the wins in the carbo days or early JM days, we would win games because our goalies would stand on thier heads and make 35+ saves and then it would catch up to us later on in  the season.

these wins are coming with the habs actually playing better

——————

88 is the new 23

265. Chuck says:

He’s now outscoring Chris Higgins, Kevin Bieska, Kyle Chipchura, and Paul Mara… and is tied with Taylor Hall.   :)

266. twocents says:

Ah come on, the team is winning games, do you really think they are doing it despite the coaching?

This roster isn’t exactly the equal of the ’76- ’77 team, you know.

267. ooder says:

hey man thanks for the updates..

i was wodnerig is Avtsin injured?

——————

88 is the new 23

268. twocents says:

Thanks for the clarification, HH.

269. larisalapointe says:

Price has 6 wins. He assisted on Halpern’s goal. Right off the bat he made 2 immense saves on Tavares (the hottest shooter these days), that set the tone for the rest of the game. Can’t the kid ever get a break?

You’re living in dreamland. Defense first. Now they are working on their offensive game. Shots are up. Shots against are down. Goalie making the big saves when needed. Team scoring goals. Defense clearing the zone. Team winning. What more could you ask for?

271. SeriousFan09 says:

Sore wrist or shoulder was last I heard, nothing relating to IR time but unfortunately not quite back in yet.

272. habs_nessa says:

I voted for Plek 1st star, Subban 2nd and Wisniewski 3rd (even before his second assist) They will probably only over-ride the vote if it’s absolutely ridiculous. Price did have a good game and he got an assist so I wouldn’t say him getting a star is a joke…but I do agree that wisniewski deserved one.

273. Chuck says:

Yeah, he said that he’d leave HI/O if Price won the majority of his first 20 starts, ie:11 of them.

274. TomNickle says:

Never gets old.

275. ooder says:

cool thanks.. im hoping its not a nagging injury cuz i want to see this kid paly

——————

88 is the new 23

276. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs ran the game for long periods, there was some pushback and a couple of pretty lame calls and deflections got past Price, really I’d call it a 4-1 game if the officials knew what they were doing. Granted, the PK could’ve been better on clearing bodies around Price. Gill needs to be meaner.

277. SeriousFan09 says:

So do I, still haven’t had time to take in a Bulldogs game and just watch a player. Granted, got spoiled last year watching Subban!

278. BJT says:

That is ridiculously awesome.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

279. sholi2000.com says:

Lately it’s been nothing but screens and deflections getting past him.  SOlid!!!!

Now if that second line can start scoring we’d all be laughing to the playoffs!

They Call Me Shane

280. Danno says:

We`re number one!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

281. ooder says:

cool.. thanks for the update SF..

man your on fire today

——————

88 is the new 23

282. Number31 says:

Fun game! Free wings! And hope they cover the point shots better for Friday.

283. HabFab says:

Wrist, bothered him in training camp and did in his season last year in the KHL. Had surgery in Russia but methinks it may need redoing over here.

284. SeriousFan09 says:

Reading week for my college, granted all our exams and assignments were actually last week so it’s really Sit on your butt week.

285. Chuck says:

It doesn’t take more than a look down at the other end of the rink tonight to test your theory. Roloson had a great game, did everything he could to keep the Islanders in it, but still gets nailed with a loss.

286. linp says:

Darche and Halpern played well together. I like Darche going to the net. Picard is playing better and better. Subban is exciting to watch. Plekanec is so much better than Gomez. What worries me is Gionta and Cammy both firing blank. They have missed a lot of chances.

Habs are now 2nd over-all in the league. I bet everyone will have them at 15th on their power rankings.

288. Chuck says:

The only thing I care about is that Price play well enough to give his team a chance to win. After that, it’s in the hands of the offence.

289. Danno says:

Goal third period, @ 06:56 MTL Jeff Halpern (3) Backhand – Assists: B. Pouliot (3) & C. Price (1)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

290. larisalapointe says:

haha I was refering to some comments below that he shouldn’t have been a star tonight. Hell he’s been a star in every game. You said it right. Ppl have given up shooting on his glove hand. :)

291. RJB says:

Any chance its Ottawa U? I’m sitting on my butt all week too!

- Bilbo Baggins

292. habs001 says:

a dominating game but it shows if you lose the pp vs pk stats no matter how well you play the game usually becomes a nail biter…

293. Rugger says:

No our Power play is bad, we’ll drop even lower in the ratings.

294. Chuck says:

2nd overall divided into the 30th-ranked powerplay. That’s probably how they come up with 15.  :)

295. Chuck says:

As I said below, Carey is now tied in scoring with Taylor Hall.   :)

296. SeriousFan09 says:

Live in Brantford so that’s a wee bit out of my commute range, got a semester and a 1/2 to go with Mohawk out here.

297. punkster says:

Question for Boone: How do you have a server overload with only around 500 comments and way less than that when it happened in the 2nd period? Last year you were running over 1000 when the servers froze. What gives?

298. punkster says:

But number 1 in our hearts.

299. Just A Guy says:

Fun game to watch, up until halfway through the 3rd when they changed their game to lead protection. I am now convinced Cammalleri needs to get shifted off the Pleks line or maybe put AK46 on the Gomez line, but the way Pleks and AK are playing off each other, I think Cammi would be better suited so he can start producing, smurf line or not.

A general observation though about Pierre Gauthier’s first real year as a GM, he has way too many players signed on one way contracts. If, by extenstion, I am right and Martin is keeping Eller and Pouliot on the lower tier lines to really get their head in the game, then Martin has been handcuffed by the organization because he can’t call anyone up to fill a scorer’s role on the top lines.

300. RJB says:

Nice, I just didn’t know of another school who had a fall reading week, its our first year with it. Good time for the Habs to have a busy week!

- Bilbo Baggins

301. avatar_58 says:

So who thinks Moen is suspended for what he did?

302. SeriousFan09 says:

I didn’t even have a fall semester last time, started in the Winter, had a summer semester now I’m on a ragular Fall-Winter rotation, it might be new here for all I know. Never had one when I attended Vanier back in Montreal.

303. smiler2729 says:

I think Eller and Pouliot are both in competition for the wing spot on the Gomez-Gionta line. Here’s betting Eller gets it before Xmas.

304. punkster says:

We have scorers we could call up? I mean, aside from Crosby or Ovie whose numbers I’m sure Gauthier has on his Rolodex, who does he call up in Hamilton?

305. Bob_Sacamano says:

You shouldn´t be worrying about Cammalleri. He´ll get his goals, especially with his linemates playing fantastic hockey. I am not so sure about Gionta though…

306. notbigbird says:

Compared to last year, that wasn’t sitting. They certainly weren’t in a shell allowing 25 shots. Played with intensity, I thought.

307. HFX-HabFan says:

I think Trent University (Peterborough) still has a fall reading week- the urban myth was that it was trying to speak to the highest suicide rate in the country (extra reading week to ease stress).

I know several colleges in the States have some sort of fall break.

308. HFX-HabFan says:

I don’t think so.  Considering Wizniewski returned the very next shift and contributed all night with three points, the “severity of injury” will clearly be thrown out the window.  Then again, knowing Campbell, he could hand out a four game suspension.  I really don’t understand that man’s “justice system”.

309. Just A Guy says:

Not sure exactly what you tried to say, but if you are of the opinion that Gauthier did what he felt was best then by all means express that opinion. I’m of the opinion that a little time in the NHL with no pressure for a little while before Pouliot or Eller figures their game out, also with no pressure, would do either Maxwell, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Palushaj some good, maybe even that swedish dude whos name eludes me right now. On the other hand,  if your opinion is that all those guys suck more then the usual suspects, then I guess I disagree as well. Excuse the either/or observation I can’t read into that comment any other way.

310. punkster says:

Haha. OK, my comment is based on the assumption that we do not have scorers in Hamilton who can cut it yet with the Habs. I like Pouliot and Eller and think both will stick here. So far the 4 you mention don’t have it. But over and above all that none of these guys are what I would consider a scorer. None, apart from a brief display by Pouliot last season, has shown it. If any of them had it today we wouldn’t be having this whole G&G discussion now would we?

311. Komihater says:

I noticed that too and totally agree, besides NJ i dont think an opposing player got a star in any of the home games.

312. TomNickle says:

Not just NHL.com.

Yahoo sports has it 9-6 in favour of Washington with no shots registered for either team in the first or second periods.

313. HFX-HabFan says:

Midway through the second, the TSN crew put up a graphic saying scoring chances were 15-5 for Montreal.

314. kempie says:

About time someone said something ridiculously stupid in here.

315. HFX-HabFan says:

The Yahoo boxscore was messed up too but I think it’s 1-0 Caps in the 3rd.  I have both Ward and Neuvirth on one of my fantasy teams and I benched them both tonight out of fear of an offensive shootout.

316. helluva habs fan says:

Starting to see some creative plays from the Gomez line, I think they’re gonna pop one tonight.

317. topher5468 says:

We play better 5 on 5

318. Castor says:

Is Pierre Maguire ticked off that the Canadiens didn’t hire him or something? He’s such a downer tonight.

“Pk is playing pretty good”
    “Eller is not a scorer”

319. _Habsoloutly_ says:

What the hell is MaGuire rambling on about?  Something about putting Gill in front of the net?  I couldn’t understand him because he was mumbling.  Weird.

320. kempie says:

Total domination. I love it.

321. Malreg says:

Pierre McGuire just suggested we put Hal Gill on the powerplay, as a FOWARD to screen the goalie…

322. SeriousFan09 says:

That and Gauthier sacking him in the 90s when they were in Ottawa.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Imagine how good Halak’s stats would be if he was with the Habs this year and their new fangled limiting shots against defensive system. I mean imagine how great the Habs would be if Boucher would be coaching. No wait, Lecavalier would make this team even better instead of Gomez. If Brian Burke was GM the Habs would be even better. Man did they ever miss the boat.

324. Hockey Socks says:

I had the same thought the other day. Its not a bad idea.

325. habs4real says:

I suggested that in last year’s playoffs.

a big body like his in front of the goalie would be awesome!

326. sholi2000.com says:

Eller Eller Eller!

Great Game by All So Far

Go Habs Go

Subby Subby Subby Dooooooo!

They Call Me Shane

327. Chuck says:

Wow… the Islander could have recieved a diving penalty for that Spacek “high stick”.

328. kempie says:

Hahahaha good one. Where’s Xtrahabsdouche about now?

329. bertuzzisucks says:

Few game notes:

spacek sucks-he looks done

pouillot cant stay on his feet.

PK and Pleks are awesome

Gionta is trying but unlucky

Hamrlik is steady tonight (for once)

Sign Georges now!!! 5-7 year deal

Are you going to bark all day little doggy?
    Or are you going to bite?

330. VancouverHab says:

This is rhetorical irony, right? (Sorry, but there are commentators here who would say this with serious intent…)

331. habs4real says:

Ellers is this year’s version of Pacioretty, and we all know where Pac is now.

terrible trade. Blues stole Halak for nothing.

332. habaholic68NJ says:

Just saw the replay and I do not think that Spaceman’s stick touched the visor on the penalty call.  The islanders sold one.

333. HFX-HabFan says:

88, 47, etc

334. Chuck says:

Great… he creates a rebound in front of the net. Then what does he do with it?

335. Castor says:

aaaaaaaand habs4real loses his mind.

336. VancouverHab says:

“spacek sucks-he looks done”

• made a brilliant defensive dive, to backpass to Price

“Gionta is trying but unlucky”

• likewise Gomez

“pouillot cant stay on his feet.”

• agreed.
  337. TomNickle says:

Not trying to go offside here but did you have a health scare in the summer.  YOU’RE A NEW MAN.

I’m lovin it.

Keep it up.

338. Harani says:

Am I reading this right for the Caps-Canes game? Are the shots only 7 to 5 Caps with 9 minutes left in the 4rd?

“It must be love!”

339. joeybarrie says:

You will eat your words….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

340. Bill says:

Pacioretty had a couple of seasons to do something, I’ll give Eller the same. He looks good tonight. Also has a solid scoring history, including a good year in the AHL last year, where Pac has yet to show he can be a scorer.

341. TomNickle says:

HAHA.  Not even close.

342. SeriousFan09 says:
    Scoring chances: I notice RDS’s Renaud Lavoie Tweets it’s 11-8 Canadiens. Is that a real stat or subjective call?

Scoring chances are as subjective as giveaways/takeaways, everyone seems to count them a bit differently.

343. sholi2000.com says:

hehe thanks for the chuckle

They Call Me Shane

344. Bryan says:

Re: Scoring chances

TSN at one point showed it to be 15-15 for the Habs.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

345. Bill says:

Gorges has already played almost 19:00. Heroically. It’s him and Markov all the way. Followed by Subban-Hamrlik, Spacek-Gill? I guess.

346. joeybarrie says:

Account only ONE DAY old… I wonder what your here for???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

347. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL.com has had some issues keeping boxscores accurate to start the year, but from all reports Cam Ward is putting on a clinic.

348. Harani says:

Thanks! I played Ward in my pool so I was just curious coz Yahoo! seems messed up too!

“It must be love!”

349. JVF says:

Well, with a tenth of the season played without our best player and with a PP that’s hit more posts than a drunken driver on the road to Chcoutimi, I’d say we’ve got ourselves a pretty good, hard-working little team with a fine, fine goaltender. Good things can happen with that combination.

350. joeybarrie says:

I don’t get why the stats are all messed up in that game. 2-0 Caps in the 3rd.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

351. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Eller has been SOLID so far this season.  He hit’s, he get’s his nose dirty,  he’s done everything except get on the score sheet,  and that will come in time.  Add Schultz into the mix next season and we won that trade.

352. TomNickle says:

Don’t ever bench Ward.  Best goalie in the league.  People keep telling me I’m crazy.  And when he rakes in Vezina trophies I’ll be sure to remind them how crazy they thought I was.

353. joeybarrie says:

CRAP

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

354. HFX-HabFan says:

Stupid phantom call!  Our PK stats are going down tonight.

355. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

two BS penalties, two Isles PPGs…..blerg

356. Da Hema says:

You will likely be the first star for the Stupidity Round.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

357. Bill says:

Lucky goal on a bad penalty call. Off Gorges’ stick? Or Tavares’?

358. C3P1 says:

god damn it.  let him see the puck!

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

359. Bryan says:

Sigh.  Refs give the Leafs a game last night, and screw over the Habs tonight.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

360. TomNickle says:

Spacek will be with Markov until a trade is made.

And there is one coming.

361. Bill says:

“The PK is on fire” … could we un-jinx that one please??

362. Chuck says:

It was tipped. I don’t think that seeing it would have helped.

363. TomNickle says:

We can’t hold a third period lead.  We can’t score on the powerplay and we can’t kill a penalty.

Better?

364. HFX-HabFan says:

I had four goalies all playing tonight, and I benched the two that were playing against each other.  Otherwise, Ward is my number one guy.

I agree he is better/far more valuable in actual hockey than fantasy hockey.

365. TomNickle says:

Notice I didn’t say “if” he wins Vezina trophies…….when he does.

It’s going to happen.

366. dhenry1234 says:

would love for a powerplay goal from none other than PK tonight!

I have watched PK here in Belleville his whole junior career. You have not seen anything yet folks. Give him one year in this league and he will own it.

368. Chuck says:

Regardless of who JM picks to fill that position, leave ‘em alone for at least 5-8 games (a couple of weeks) and see what happens. It’s rare that chemistry is built overnight.

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

369. TommyB says:

Hey, looking forward to running into you guys next weekend (you and 24cups).  Others too, of course, but this is a reply to these posts.

Mr. Boone!!! why don’t you ever remember to put this at the top of your pages.???[Jump to comment form]

PLEASE

371. Keith says:

I have to admit that this team is playing exciting hockey that I haven’t seen in years. say, seventeen years ago.

372. twilighthours says:

07-08 was pretty exciting, man.  That was a good year, until the collapse against Philly.

373. punkster says:

Just got back from golf and dinner. What did I miss?

374. _Habsoloutly_ says:

all your shot’s?

375. petrov14 says:

PK putting on a pretty good show, and some good team play. Beautiful SH goal set up by Pleks. Tip in by Darche for goal #1

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

Dave another great skating game my friend.

377. showey47 says:

lmao,even if he doesn’t score we should do it anyway. Heck we can even chant it if it has nothing to do with hockey.

378. Habhopeful says:

Lars was thinkin too much

379. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Eller’s trying hard! Keep it up bud!

380. oshawahabsfan says:

Eller’s going to get one tonight

381. RGM says:

I said to Mrs. RGM earlier that tonight Subban’s going to get one. Hopefully we’re both right.

382. petrov14 says:

lol NYI commentators call Pouliot “Poolie-oat”. Sounds funny.

383. Wayne says:

Same here… i started singing to myself – ” and it’s me and “Poolie-oat” down by the school yard”

384. oshawahabsfan says:

For crying out loud put Pouliot where he belongs with G&G!

385. nick says:

AK! Oh man…

386. SeriousFan09 says:

Good momentum for Habs but they need to cash one in soon.

387. C3P1 says:

CA-REY!

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

388. nick says:

Ask and you shall receive. LOL

389. Bryan says:

How the hell did we manage to sign Pleks for just $5 million?!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

390. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

PLEKANEC!

AK46!

391. topher5468 says:

WOW

392. showey47 says:

sweet play by ak on the boards and what a shot by pleky

393. Keith says:

YES!!! Top corner Pleky!!

394. C3P1 says:

love the pleks celebrations…eff you, ill do it again

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

395. Danno says:

Wow. Just Wow.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

396. petrov14 says:

WOOT!

397. HabsMitch says:

Pleky….My favorite Hab in a long time!

398. nick says:

I’m seriously loving our MTL Canadiens… Stupid grin… ear to ear. This is awesome.

399. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Man our first line is F’ing DANGEROUS this season!  and Pricey has been solid.

400. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, I just reverse-jinxed the Habs.

I must use this power only for good, and Pro-Line tickets.

401. showey47 says:

man gio just can’t buy a break

402. petrov14 says:

Dominating play ends in a penalty….for US?!!

403. showey47 says:

why moen? seriously why?

404. kempie says:

A guy could make the argument that 13-14-46 is the most dangerous line in hockey right now.

405. Bryan says:

Bad call by Moen there.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

406. Habhopeful says:

suspendable…call up white! lol sorry

407. showey47 says:

who got the 2nd assist on the pleky goal?

408. twilighthours says:

I feel no sympathy for Wisniewski after the run he took at that Chicago D-man (Seabrook?) last year.

409. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

the Hammer

410. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

yeah, it was Seabrook, absolutely flattened him

411. petrov14 says:

OHHHH PLEKS, sooo close!

412. joeybarrie says:

HOW WAS THAT NOT TOO MANY MEN.????????????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

413. sidhu says:

Good job Moen!  Stood up, knew he would have to fight, and won the decision!

414. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Moen goin for the Gordie Howe hat trick tonight??

415. HFX-HabFan says:

Not to mention his more recent shenanigans with Avery.

416. helluva habs fan says:

Yeah, but how many standard deviations is that?

417. BJT says:

That, my friend, is excessive wordiness. But yes, essentially what you’re saying is that our first line = Good, 2nd line = not scoring (yet) but still drawing the top defenders (at least partially ) away from Pleks, AK, Cammy. Correct? If so, I agree completely, if not, please re-phrase with way less syllables.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

418. Tseth says:

As somewhat of an economist I would quite possibly chalk Gomez Gionta issue up to an issue of either multi-collinearity and/or some amount of reverse causality. Basically, on paper, the Habs are rolling two top lines; or lines 1 and 1A. Pleks, Cammy, and Andrei the Giant are firing on all cylinders and thus getting more ice-time to increase their chances and solidify their #1 line status. However, I would also argue that G&G are still being played against opposing #1 line shut-down lines. Out of the eight games, including the one against the Devils (representing over 15% of games played) this is a pretty small sample size to accurately assess the lack of offensive output from G&G. Second, having G&G on the ice not being scored on also supports the other lines when and if they face lesser opponents on the ice. That said, G&G better find a winger!

419. HFX-HabFan says:

So Konopka might be a frequent fighter, but he’s certainly not a good fighter.

420. Keith says:

Moen wins that one. That guy for the Isles is HUGE.

421. helluva habs fan says:

You knew that was coming, good on Moen.

422. joeybarrie says:

OK JM is the smeartest coach in the WORLD….  His plan is to score more goals on the PK than we do on the PP… If our power Play sucks so bad, let’s score more short handed goals…. BRILLIANT. We almost had the same amount of Short handed goals as we do PP goals…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

423. sidhu says:

This is some exciting hockey, who would have thought – Wed night against the Isles

424. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Okay, so tonight, and for a few nights, we’ve seen fast, skillful tough hockey from the habs. What a treat.

This is good hockey we’re getting here.

425. win4ce says:

Gomez doing his Gomez thing. That skating may not be worth 7 million but WOW is it fun to watch and no one does it better!

426. Danno says:

And now…the dagger.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

427. TheDagger says:

Thank you for the introduction..

428. Habifax says:

sorry double post

429. Habifax says:

Get well soon, Mr. Red Fisher.

430. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Michael Cammalleri leads the league in +/-

Carey Price leads all goalies in wins.

431. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrei Kostitsyn and Tomas Plekanec are also in the top 30 NHL scorers, 14th and 22nd place respectively.

432. DearyLeary says:

Wordiness, by definition, is excessive.  In effect, by pointing out wordiness, you have been wordy.

433. BJT says:

A) I dunno, I think it’s possible to be acceptably wordy. For example your post was acceptably wordy.

B) “by pointing out wordiness, you have been wordy. ” Ok, that doesn’t even make sense.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

434. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Wordiness means to be excessively wordy, therefore to say “execessive wordiness” is a redundancy, which means its wordy.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

435. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

wordy, wordy woodpecker.

there, that felt good.

436. BJT says:

Bah, fine. I accept defeat. Let’s pretend I said “too wordy”, Ok? Sounds good? Sounds good.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

437. BJT says:

Oof. Puns.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

438. Mr. Biter says:

AK is the most improved Hab from last year. Totally different player. PP still sucks. Same players except MAB but I’m gonna wait till AM returns. If there is no improvement with his return then it’s MAB time and then who sits , but he was our “Trigger Man” from the point. This takes nothing away from tonight’s great win and our great start but the lack of the PP is going to begin to hurt us sooner or later.

439. habaholic68NJ says:

Price is a close 2nd.

440. linp says:

The way Darche goes to the net, I think we should use him in the PP. Gionta is too small to be effective in front of the net.

441. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

You’re right! Solid start. And Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta haven’t even caught fire yet.

Price leads with 6 wins in 9 games (6-2-1).

443. Tseth says:

Sorry for the wordiness. As per standard deviation, again I think the sample size is much too small. Also, what about the possibility of breaking up Gomez and Gionta?

444. StevieRay says:

sample size to small .. that would depend on the SD from the mean …..

JM is not going to break them up ..although I’d like to see it …13 million is a lot of mola .. for the results to date

445. Mr. Biter says:

I met a buddy today who was talking to a fairy and the fairy granted him a wish.

“I want to live forever” he told the fairy.

Sorry said the fairy i cannot grant that wish.

Fine my buddy said, I want to live till the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

” Your a crafty Bastard” said the fairy.

446. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

PK has been the best shutdown D-man tonight……!

447. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

Subban is a defensive machine! I am really happy with the way he is playing.

448. HFX-HabFan says:

I like how McGuire keeps going on about Niederreiter being tired.  How would he even know?  What a tool.

449. nick says:

McGuire says PK is a MAN!

450. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

Dear Mr.Gomez,

Thank you for finally taking the f—ing shot instead of always passing.

451. HFX-HabFan says:

When you throw the puck on net, good things happen.

452. habsfaninboston says:

Just goes to show, great things happen when you crash the net.

453. twilighthours says:

That’s a great beer, by the way.

454. showey47 says:

wooohoooo at first i thought it was darche but it looks like halpern

455. Danno says:

Way to go Jeff! That’s the stuff!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

456. light_n_tasty says:

Another sub-plot:

Mark Streit, former Hab, now plays for NYI. Matt Moulson, teammate of Mr. Streit, put him out for 6-months with a shoulder injury with an ill-advised training-camp body check.  Matt Moulson is the homonymic kin of the Molson family.  The Molson family owns a majority stake in the Habs.

Coincidence?  I think not.

457. MikeL says:

haha good one

458. PeterD says:

I would like to see Martin try Max Laps with Gio and Gomer…he would add speed, crash & bang and go to the net which is something most of the auditions just don’t seem to want to do or are afraid to do…we need a consistent large player net presence in front of goalies…Gio tries, but seriously he is just too small to be an effective screen for most tall goalies…

Give Laps a try-out and see if that ignites something with this line…

459. helluva habs fan says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing that combo myself. Max might not have the “vision” that the coach keeps talking about, but he’s tenacious, he goes to the net, has decent hands and he’s a gamer.

I was actually thinking of him with Eller and Pouliot, they might make a good punchy offensive third line.

460. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

lmao…figures

461. Habhopeful says:

great two saves!

462. Bryan says:

Wooo Carey!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

463. Propwash says:

Nice save!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

464. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What a save!

465. HFX-HabFan says:

Good energy to start the game.  It starts now: let’s get one on the PP to open the floodgates!

466. Bryan says:

Damnit PK!

Good looking PP so far.  Both waves.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

467. showey47 says:

I really don’t think our PP has been bad. I feel we have just whiffed too many times on some golden oppurtunities like the chance gionta just had from the gomez pass.

468. HFX-HabFan says:

The boys came to play tonight.

469. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Much better PP – Subban couldn’t beat the post!

470. HFX-HabFan says:

I always did like Roloson and thought he could have been a good guy to bring in as a veteran mentor backup/platoon option for Price.

471. Former Jets Fan says:

Yup, I think the Oilers coulda taken the ’06 Cup in 6 or less if not for that game one injury.

472. Habhopeful says:

subz is great but is it me or does it seem as if he lifts his stick to high on the slapper, imo he doesnt need to go that high, maybe itll die down

473. JD_ says:

The “no chicken wings for you” stare down.

Bit late for that, Dwayne.

474. Castor says:

Let’s give Pouliot some credit on a nice break.

475. petrov14 says:

4-2? damn missed a goal

476. Bill says:

Habs are making all kinds of awesome skate-kick plays tonight … way more than usual. One of those flukey things?

477. TomNickle says:

Gill sure helped draw that call, what a veteran play.

A little gentle shove into Price because he knew the officials would be looking for retaliation on the perceived running by Benny.

478. topher5468 says:

C’mon boys, now put this puppy to bed

479. Bill says:

RDS asks if Pacioretty is the solution for the G-G line … um, no.

480. TomNickle says:

Haha, seriously?

I can’t believe the thought even entered their minds.

481. Wayne says:

They’re looking solid all around. All we need now is for the G&G line needs to blow on the embers and light it up.

482. Keith says:

High paced exciting hockey!

483. showey47 says:

roloson was so playing the pass,cammy had the whole short side.

484. Bryan says:

Wow, what a period by PK!  Great play in the O Zone, and two HUGE defensive zone saves

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

485. oshawahabsfan says:

Loving the pressure in all zones, boys are playing well

486. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

wait…..what?

487. andrewberkshire says:

Did Subban seriously just get a penalty for being interfered with? What a joke!

488. oshawahabsfan says:

I guess I’ll have to see the replay I totally missed a penalty there

489. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Terrible penalty.  Reffing in the NHL has reached a new low this year,  hard to believe it but it’s true.

490. topher5468 says:

Team coming back hard on Defense, Very impressed with this teams hustle

491. Wayne says:

I know the net was empty but that took some skill…

492. showey47 says:

yaaahoooooo

493. Bill says:

Love JM having AK46 out there in the last minute of a close game. Six goals.