Another great game

And a W

The fans are getting spoiled

1. Keith says:

What a save!

2. Keith says:

I’m expecting a HUGE game from G&G tonight…and whoever plays with them.

3. Keith says:

Jean Perron, Carbo??

4. HFX-HabFan says:

Here we go!  5-2 Habs, we’ll get two on the PP tonight!

5. Malreg says:

At least he gets to save almost $1,000,000 when he’s in the AHL since he doesnt have to pay escrow.

6. dhenry1234 says:

its way better than that stupid simple plan song we had during our centenial season. I’d much prefer either of these:

7. HFX-HabFan says:

I got the Phoenix game on Aliant, but it was through the NHL Centre Ice promo.  It will be interesting to see if Aliant will get the new TSN regional thing up in time for the next one.

8. Propwash says:

As the soundguy for the U2 tribute band Joshua, I feel your pain.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

9. Habscore says:

I know this is not a main issue or priority for the Habs Org…but can they please change that U2 Vertigo song when our boys score??? It’s seriously driving me nuts

10. habsfansince91 says:

i don’t think he minds, he’s getting paid regardless

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I bought one of those blue hockey fights cancer tie’s last year,  it’s pretty sweet.  I think I’ll go buy another one,  maybe the dark blue.

12. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I’d like to see Eller back on a line Plekanec and Cammy.  With Eller on that line we can move AK to play with Gionta and Gomez.  AK has the size needed for that line and Eller played with the other two during the preseason.  From what I remember the Eller looked pretty good up there on the first line.

13. WestHab says:

I thought it was just my PC back from the Theodore days.

14. Mr.Hazard says:

Hear about Souray’s hand that’s injured now, because of a fight in the AHL? I mean, as if this guy didn’t have enough problems!

15. WestHab says:

He was my choice for Montreal but Gainey didn’t listen. go figure.

16. WestHab says:

I like Boyd as well but until a loss or injury he’ll be out. I’d like to say that would take forever but it will be soon enough.

17. Mike Boone says:

Hartley’s good. I’m not naming names, but there are worse ex-coaches bloviating on Montreal Radio & TV.

18. RJB says:

Spacek needs to step up tonight, I think he can do it! Lets go boys!!!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

19. andrewberkshire says:

This site sure makes it difficult to upload a picture.

20. helluva habs fan says:

If it’s a special case where it only applies to calls when a goal is scored… then maybe it could work. I’d still rather they do without. The onus has to be on the referees on the ice to make the right call… last night was a rare case of a complete BS non-call.

21. Chuck says:

It’s A Long Way To The Top on the Bell Centre P.A… nice!

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

22. HFX-HabFan says:

For the benefit of those who didn’t see earlier today (that includes you, Boone):

Since we’re up against the Isles tonight, here is a roster you may find interesting- it’s comprised of NHLers who made their league debut in an Islanders uniform.  Consider:

Tay Pyatt-Nielsen-Godard

Total cost: $54.51mil, or $4.8mil under the cap.  Having Luongo in nets and Chara, McCabe and Brewer on the backline certainly wouldn’t hurt today’s version of the Isles.  And yet somehow CBC, NBC, and NESN all see Mike Milbury as an “expert” analyst.

23. Wayne says:

(and)… only if it determined the outcome of a game. On the other hand, the crease rule did squat for the Sabres way back when, didn’t it. So yeah, in the end, it may only gum up the flow.

24. TommyB says:

Hmmm, nice work if you can get it.  It’s always good to be King.

25. Exit716 says:

Well the rink is named after him.

26. Wayne says:

He’s got one. The King of Hawkesbury. . …..(crickets)

27. TommyB says:

That Bob Hartley, he is a genius isn’t he?  Someone offer him a job.

28. TommyB says:

I definitely see and understand what you are saying, and agree for the most part, but a called goal that was clearly shown to be the result of goaltender interference is hardly a minor infraction.  A game could rest on that call.  Take it to a playoff game, and all hell could break loose.

29. TommyB says:

True.  So I can see where this kind of thing could really get way out of hand, but I think it will eventually happen in some shape or form.  Maybe after the next lockout/strike.

30. RGM says:

I just got the email as well. Hopefully they get it secured by Friday. Aliant has already had the channel since Monday – I am very close to changing providers. Between the sign-up deal, the extra perks, etc., it might just be time.

31. helluva habs fan says:

I don’t think it could ever be adapted to hockey. Officiating in hockey is completely different from other sports in that everything is grey area. Yes there are defined rules, but all referees let minor infractions go all the time – otherwise there’d be a penalty every minute. They have to pick and choose and if something goes uncalled and a coach can challenge, then the video judges are forced to go by the book… penalty is called every time.

If it were EVER instituted, there would have to be a bench minor penalty if the call stands. Coaches would try for it EVERY game otherwise.

32. andrewberkshire says:

Gomez started out slow last year too. Realistically it’s impossible for him to have that bad of a season, despite what his detractors on this site seem to hyperbolize, he’s a very talented player, and will no doubt get 50+ points no matter what. He nearly hit 60 last year with Gionta missing 20 games.

33. VancouverHab says:

Why Gill but not Gomez (& Cammi & Moen)? They are all alike veterans who know that the playoffs alone count, and they (esp. Moen & Gomez & Gionta) have Stanley Cup-winning experience to know that you save lots in the tank for the real season.

34. The M says:

i have much more faith in this years team than last years.  i think the Habs are much improved.

Except for Gomez, the Habs should waive him

35. RGM says:

It does but it’s very limited in scope. The challenge would exist for more discretionary things like goalie interference, an offside, or things that aren’t already covered by the rule for video review.

36. HotHabs says:

any goalie in his 20’s should be able to handle 60-70 games.  but, in the last decade the load has been shared more than that.

I, too, have noticed Gill’s pilonesque play since the new season began.  He was playing with so much more intensity at the end of last season and throughout the playoffs.  I’d love to see him that way again.

Just yesterday I was talking with a colleague about the insane amount of money that “underachiever” Gomez pulls in.  It must eat at management every game he goes without making any impact.

Oh, one other thing… as each game passes I ache thinking about losing Moore.

37. TommyB says:

In a way, this already exists doesn’t it?  A coach can appeal to a ref to “go upstairs” if he feels a called goal is or isn’t actually a legal goal.

38. HotHabs says:

no penalty if ruling stands.  coach just wasted a challenge – that’s it.  you get “x” amount/game and if you are wrong, too bad. my guess is if they ever go this way, they will start with one challenge per game so as not to kill much time.

39. habsfansince91 says:

it’s on channel 402 on Bell

40. SeriousFan09 says:

If they can do it for stick measurements, sure why not.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. TommyB says:

Too harsh.  If I’m coaching, I’d have to be awfully certain I could overturn the ruling if I would recieve a bench minor for being wrong.  That’s where I see a problem with this coach’s challenge thing.

42. TommyB says:

In all fairness, what have the Islander fans had to cheer about since their glory days with Bossy, Trottier, etc.? Kind of like the Leaf fans, but maybe they are smarter and stay home.

43. Propwash says:

2 minute penalty if the ruling stands?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

44. TommyB says:

Interesting scoop.

45. TommyB says:

Coach’s challenge!  An interesting concept, and maybe one that’s time has come.  Officials don’t always get it right, ask the Miami Dolphins.  The only argument against this idea that I can see the league having, is the time factor.  They always like to point to the time factor and ways of speeding up the game, and seem to be dead set against anything that might add 2 minutes to a game or telecast (see the rule on Delay of Game).  If I were a betting man…wait, I am a betting man…I would have to say we will see something of this sort in the next couple of years.  The discussion would revolve around what the “penalty” would be to the team if the challenge does not overturn the referee’s call.  Loss of the timeout?  What if you have already used your timeout?  This ain’t football, right!

46. Kristopher7 says:

LOL, check out the Islanders official site.

Is their fan base that pathetic? Is the Habs fan/Islander fan ratio like 30:1 for their home games?

Any idea how  i find what channel this new TSN channel is??

48. win4ce says:

I’d like to see Boyd back in the lineup. He scored our first goal when we desperately needed one to turn the momentum against Toronto and has worked hard during his limited ice time. I feel like he hasn’t gotten a fair shot and would like to see more of him (he was good in the few televised preseason games but barely got any ice time in the regular season games he’s been in). I love Darche; hard working, always positive and even when he’s benched he takes it like a man and just works harder next time (when he played 0:00 in a playoff game, he took the high road and didn’t blame the coach once). Just seems like Boyd can do the job Darche can do equally as well if not better and Boyd is younger with the potential to get better. Darche is the 13th man and is a great choice when we have an injury and he needs to play from time to time to stay in game shape, but I think Boyd should have that 12th roster spot.

49. Lafrich says:

Could not agree more. I have been perplexed by this revolving door of LWs that apparently can’t play with those two guys. If G and G were tearing it up, and no one was fitting in, that would be one thing. But they are pretty much sucking in the production department and I am astonished by the press and everyone else for that matter in thinking that they need a winger to make the line happen.

I think Gomez and Gionta MUST MUST MUST be split up!!! AND I think it is time to stop thinking of Gomez as an offensive top 6 guy.

Maybe Eller with Gionta and Pouliot? And have Gomez with Moen and whoever else as the premier shutdown line? Modano went through the same transition and became very useful.

Gomez can continue to get 18 mins a game if he plays PP and PK, but having him on that second line for regular shifts has become useless.

50. JIMVINNY says:

Re: Gomez.  35-40 pts and you’d have to bury him.  Unless he followed the regular season up with a Conn Smythe.

Re: 70 games.  At 23 years old, 70 games is no problem.  It didn’t hurt Brodeur until he was in his 30’s.  Price will be fine.

Re: Gill.  He always steps it up for the playoffs.  Don’t expect much until then.

51. Bill says:

It’s too soon to say that Gomez and his contract have become the proverbial albatross around the neck, but it’s probably only a little too soon. If he puts up 35-40pts with his ice-time this year and can’t contribute much else … the Habs will have to bury him.

What’s going to happen when Auld plays a game? We don’t really know what to expect, and I don’t really want to see Price play 70 games. It’s not healthy.

Gill – who is perhaps my favourite Hab after last year’s playoffs – has been getting wrecked. He’s total pylon right now. I love the guy, but can he pull it back together to be the defensive force he was in the 1st and 2nd rounds?

Full Breezer 4 Life

52. Former Jets Fan says:

thanks for the replies, fellas.

53. Bill says:

It’s early in the season and every year there are players who take a while to break out. This year we are lucky to have the 1st line rolling in mid-season form. Perhaps it’s just a matter of time before G-G snap out of it. In Gionta’s case, I’d say that’s a certainty.

How lucky are the Habs to be in this situation without Markov?? Consider how their winning percentage zoomed up last year after his return and there is definitely cause for optimism.

Great contributions from the 3rd and fourth lines. They’re just chewing up minutes and not giving an inch. Halpern is a god-send on the faceoff draw.

Last year’s question marks are this year’s happy surprises: Price has been awesome, Kostitsyn is a force, and I’m even liking Pouliot’s game. He’s skating, hitting, and basically not being invisible. Goals will come. I don’t care what the TV guys say, I saw him score a bunch of goals last year that were pure “goal-scorer’s goals”.

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. GrimJim says:

According to

Hamrlik: KNOWN CLAUSES: NTC (full NTC until Feb. 1, 2009; from Feb. 1, 2009, to Feb. 1, 2011, can designate six teams in each conference he will accept a trade to; no NTC beyond that)

Spacek: KNOWN CLAUSES: Limited NTC

55. Habifax says:

For anyone with Eastlink on the east coast I sent an email to inquire about the new TSN channel with the additional games here is the response……..

Sorry to others who are not concerned.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

TSN has introduced a new channel for eastern Canada (Bellville Ontario,
    East) called TSN Alternative. This channel will carry only Montreal
    Canadians games (in English) and remain blank the remainder of the time.
    We are in negotiations in order to provide this channel.

Currently the same Montreal Canadians games scheduled to be carried on
    the new TSN Alternative channel are available to EastLink customers that
    subscribe to RDS (Part of the French Variety Package) in the Maritimes
    and Atlantic. In order to provide an interim alternative to our Maritime
    and Atlantic customers, EastLink will discount the French Variety Theme
    in Maritimes and Atlantic to $2.00/month from the regular price of
    $4.00. This theme will provide EastLink Customers access to RDS and the
    same Montreal Canadians games (in French) available on the TSN
    alternative channel.

The $2.00 discount will be in effect until June, 2011 and will then
    revert to the regular theme price of $4.00. Customers can at that time
    continue or cancel that service.

Please do not hesitate to call one of our friendly Customer Service
    Representatives for more information or to add the French Variety Pack
    to your services,

Eastlink Customer Care

56. Danno says:

Cool avatar!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

57. SeriousFan09 says:

I know Hamrlik’s NTC is he can give a list of 3 teams in each Conference he is willing to accept a trade to. Spacek’s might be similar but I know no details beyond limited NTC which likely means he can give a list of teams he’ll accept a trade to, or it might be his NTC doesn’t count if Habs miss the playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

58. Former Jets Fan says:

do you know what his NTC is?  List of certain teams?  Right to veto? Does it expire at some point?  While I’m at it, what do you know about Hamrlik’s NTC?

Getting rid of Spacecakes would be my wet dream…..Isles have the cap space and could use someone with offensive upside [snicker….but that’s the bill of goods we were sold on], Ducks need all the help they can get.

59. Wops says:

From Mario Tremblay, ahha, I love it.

“With Gomez at 7.4 and Gionta at 5, can’t they make the left winger better instead of the other way around?”

60. SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is Spacek has a limited NTC and might not feel like moving on to another team, I doubt any team looking to contend is going to see him as the missing piece and at his age, I doubt he wants to be on a team that doesn’t have a chance of seeing playoffs and going for the Cup.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

61. DLHABSNUT65 says:

I was liking Boyd and I figured that the goals aren’t plentiful and the PP is…well…Powerless! Your point is well taken! I just hope he gets back in there but, I hope it doesn’t take a loss for it to happen! Can’t wait for Markov’s return and hopefully a better PP!!

62. sidhu says:

I like Gagnon’s idea of trying to move Spacek instead of taking Picard out of the lineup. Picard has played well enough to earn a spot on the team, and Spacek has not been as solid.  Plus Spacek makes $3m+ this year and next year.  OB can remain the 7th D.

63. DLHABSNUT65 says:

Point taken! Haha!

64. Tobiass says:

With that much punctuation, how can JM not listen!!!????

65. Komihater says:

That’s funny because i only wear the plastic protector and not the neck guard, and the past 2 weeks i got back to back shots to my collar bone, both hurt like hell and were bruised and bleeding. I’m gonna go get a good neck guard. Probly would also help if i didnt turn my head slightly and take the puck head on.

66. Mark C says:

Simple answer, Boyd was replaced after a weak game and the team hasn’t lost since. Most coaches in any sport at any level dislike changing a winning line-up.  I would guess, barring an injury that Boyd is inserted back in the line-up following the next Habs loss (hopefully at least a few weeks from now).

67. DLHABSNUT65 says:

I know we’re winning and I shouldn’t complain but, why is Boyd not playing? Only 4 players have more goals and he’s tied for the best shooting % on the team. They’re searching for a winger with Gionta and Gomez!! Maybe I’m missing something here but, I thought they were gonna try him with G & G and then he was in the pressbox!! I don’t get it!! Are Darche and Pyatt playing that well?? How about Lapierre?? I’m thinking Boyd is a better scorer!! He skates well!! I’m sure he’s just as physical!! Anyone else make any sense of it??

68. petrov14 says:

I always thought the “dangly” looked cool.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.