An undeserved point

The winning streak ends at the ACC.

Good news: a point.

Better news: Andrei Markov not injured

Kessel: Miss … just, post

AK46: Goal, five-hole

Kulemin: Goal

Gomez: Save

Mitchell: Backhand goal

Gionta: Save

1. Shiloh says:

Been a Habs fan since 1962 – that won’t change. Halak is the one we should keep, however.

2. jbroderi says:

Found the answer about Joe Bowen and his holy mackinaw stuff, pointless and dumb as i suspected.

3. likehoy says:

man, reading that “your call” crap on TSN makes me want to renounce hockey.

– Team Halak V.S. Team Price…Montreal Canadiens Fans are similar to 14 year-old Girls going through Puberty.

4. jbroderi says:

When he scored that garbage goal, his first as a leaf at home, I thought the announcer soiled himself, he was so excited.  Just a question,

What the hell is a makanah, as in holy makanahhh!!

5. ooder says:

3 -2 ottawa.

dang… i am not watching the game but is Lehtonen a complete sieve or is dallas that bad?

the only thing that makes me feel better is that smug little sob Ribeiro is sinking with the team

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

6. andrewberkshire says:

Always with a sour look on his face, in the process of putting down binoculars.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Can’t kill a penalty to save their lives.

8. Exit716 says:

How many shots of WC Fields err I mean Burke in the ACC press box tonight? I say at least six to 10.

9. duckie says:

Or every time they talk about Luca Caputi like he’s the second coming of Gretzky

10. SeriousFan09 says:

“Promising young talent” is also a good one. Not that they haven’t been playing that catchy little tune like they’re a Top 40 station for the past few years.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. Trots says:

It’s HNIC and the usual double-header. Time for a new drinking game. Every time, any of the talking heads mentions Brian Burke, drink a beer. Guaranteed you will be blotto by the end of the first game.

12. J.J. of Turku says:

I’m watching same game… Damn 2-2…

13. ooder says:

my god dallas is beyond useless!!!!

——————

14. Harani says:

Shit! 2-2. Jason F. Spezza!

“I gotta a feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

15. ooder says:

2-1 dallas

——————

16. avatar_58 says:

I just saw a guy walk by my apartment wearing the rocket’s jersey. You see? This is what happens when the habs go on a tear – the fans aren’t ashamed to wear their gear!

Maybe I’ll go for a walk to tims wearing my cammy or roy jersey…..

17. jbroderi says:

Dallas tied it up!!  blingity blang!!

18. jbroderi says:

haha, it is a cute little bum though, hopefully without poop in her bloomers!!

19. camel_larry says:

Lol, exactly what I was thinking.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s a poor choice of words when you have that particular avatar…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. jbroderi says:

poop, 1-0 ottawa

22. Jbird says:

I was thinking he would certainly get in a fight.

23. camel_larry says:

anybody know what station(s) are airing the game today?

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Giguere went ahead and compared the young players on Toronto to those of Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh, and he’s close… well actually I’m not going to waste my time saying how horribly wrong the comparison is except there isn’t one guy on the Leafs roster fit to be the stick boy to Crosby, Ovechkin or Toews.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. The Kid says:

got a little pregamer for ya. Might be a little dramatic but still accurate

26. Danno says:

As much as they suck, the Leafs are still way too overated.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

27. jbroderi says:

big night for O’byrne!

You heard it here first!!

28. DearyLeary says:

I’ll be at the ACC, should be a blast to see the Maple Laughs get plastered in their own barn.

29. Aybara says:

I’m actually hoping for it to be the OT winner.. Anything to get the Leafs higher up in the standings!

30. jbroderi says:

If you mean Jo-anne’s quick and tasty, then yes!!  Never ate there yet though.  Jo-anne is still quick, but she doesn’t look quite so tasty anymore!  (just joking)

31. ooder says:

ak46 is so talented it’s not even funny.

i dunno what always takes him so long to get it going.

maybe meds from his epilepsy… who knows.

——————

32. SeriousFan09 says:

In favour of that, also if that’s when they put in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd insurance goals.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. joeybarrie says:

Sorry i responded, I just realized you are a Leafs fan who signed on to HIO today… The Leafs were supposed to SURELY OVERTAKE US this season…. Look what happened. I mean teams like Tampa, Carolina, and Anaheim have a Cup in the last 20 years and you guys dont in twice that….  Poor Sundin wasting his WHOLE CAREER. I see the Leafs improving every year, problem is that they suck so bad 10 years of improvement might FINALLY get them in the Playoffs……………………….

HA AHA AHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA  Its so nice to see us do well, and the Leafs suck so bad. All is right in the World….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. Chuck says:

I’d be happy if the game-winner came about halfway through the first.  🙂

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Last time Andrei played the Leafs, he scored the OT winner 🙂 I’m hoping for a repeat performance, not in OT of course, but the game-winner would be cool.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. ooder says:

personally i am expecting a big night from the k bros.

SK74 usually plays pretty well against the leafs

and AK46 is due for a big night

——————

37. joeybarrie says:

Its a long shot……

BUT if we beat them both times we play them, it becomes not so far off…

But then what will everyone who thought we would never make the playoffs think.  Besides, with no injuries this season, I think we would have already done that….

THANKS BOB.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. Caper says:

Is the Quick and Tasty still in existence? Best clams and fries.

39. joeybarrie says:

Well its a good thing your a Habs fan for life then….

Gomez is a genius. We are lucky to have him, you need to forget his contract. Hamr is up next season. And by the way, this season he has earned every penny of that contract. He has played more than any other player in a CH this season and he is not 27 years old. Spacek has also been very good for us and well worth his cost, have you not seen his plus minus, and he has played the 3rd most of all our players.

Besides, Phaneuf, Beauchemin and Kaberle equal to 15 million and Spacek, Gomez and Hamr are 16 million.

How can you say these contracts are strangling us, but Burkes are not????

Finger 3.5 million

Komi 4.5 million

Phaneuf 6.75 million

Kaberle 4.25 million

Beauchemin 3.8 million

Schenn 3 million

Their 6 defenders are costing them 26 million a year. With Kessel at 5.4, they have to have 12 players under 24 million a year. Max 2 million each.  GOOD LUCK GETTING TOP LINES OUT OF THAT…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. jbroderi says:

that would give the Habs 96 points, sabres have 13 games left at 84 points, which means that they can only get 11 points, or go 5-7-1

that is reasonable, but even with that record, we still might fall short (unless the habs beat the sabres twice in regulation, which means they would have to go 5 -3-1.  doable, but even if we get 6th, we will pound the piss out of em)

41. Caper says:

5 games the next 8 days I believe. Having Cammy back Monday would be a great way to make an attempt at that 9-2 you’ve noted. It can be done but it won’t be easy.

“The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.”

– Michelangelo

43. ooder says:

oh, ya i did.

I thought you meant 9 -2 to clinch a spot.

in order to get into 3rd you are probably right

——————

44. ooder says:

i know  what you mean…

and i disagree about the 9-2…

beacsue the teams beneath us are playing terrible hockey

——————

45. joeybarrie says:

Wait…So Halak is NOT the backup already???  Im confused.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. joeybarrie says:

It’s nice to see Halak get so much support… He will need it when the bandwagon goes the other way soon enough. Tell me, will you still be a Habs fan when we trade Halak?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. Fansincebirth says:

They should have done this for the Laps hit, the way Ferraro was going on and on and on about….

48. Fansincebirth says:

I hope O’B doesn’t try to take on Orr. Orr will kill him….

Hopefully the Loafs will come to play hockey, not put on a goon show.

49. jbroderi says:

as soon as Burke was hired, he near broke his neck to get Nonis under contract, quite a capable GM in his own right.

Looks as though Burke might have the big mouth, while Nonis does most of the work

50. ooder says:

yes the leafs have won the apst few games, but did any of you guys see them play defense????

we thought we had it bad at the beginnign of the season.

if any of the teams had any sort of finish the leafs would have been creamed 12 to whatever they scored.

all we need to do is capitalize on the chances that are sure to be there

——————

51. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m concerned it will go like last time, score a couple of early goals and then sit back. They need to take it to the Leafs for the entire game, Leafs will want to spoil the playoffs for us even if that only includes hurting our top players. I sense O’Byrne may scrap tonight.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. ooder says:

oh Burke promised???

nevermind lets just pack up our bags and move to a different division then.

let’s see a huge portion of thier cap is tied up in komisarek, beauchemin, phaneuf and kessel.

they have no depth (thier ahl team is the worst in the entire league).

hamrlik is gone or signed cheaper the season after next.

the leafs couldn’t achieve much with Sundin. And he was 10 times any of the players you just mentioned

——————

53. Caper says:

You can’t be serious. Over taking us ? With what? Check the Marlies and their prospects. Look at the money they pay their D. They’ve givien up their first round pick for the next two years. teams are locking up potentisl UFA’s so the cupboard will be bare the next few years. Unless they make a smoking deal using kaberle, they have a very long way to go.

54. vaya_ says:

the leafs play well on saturday nights. i’m a little worried we’ll come out flat expecting an easy game. i’m not at all a negative person, but i just have a bad feeling about tonight. prove me wrong habs!

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Have you seen the free agency list for July 1st? It’s full of over-the-hill types and few strong players, there will be a bidding war among all teams seeking scoring forwards and Burke will end up having to overpay, especially when he reps a team that hasn’t seen playoffs in 5 years. Burke promises a hundred things a season and comes through on five of them, but he talks so much, some of his predictions comes true so he comes off as a genius. He is a better PR Man than a GM.

I saw parts of NJ, that was more to do with NJ playing poorly than the Leafs overwhelming them and it took them to the shootout to beat Yann Freakin’ Danis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. camel_larry says:

Hee hee!

57. camel_larry says:

in my opinion, BIG game today. No idea how it’s gonna turn out, but I’m thinking match Markov + O’B with the Kessel line, and we’re set.

Habs Go!

58. JD_ says:

Wow. Just caught this on the newswire.

I can’t believe how much truthfulness is pouring out from players’ mouths these days. It’s a refreshing change.

—–

March 19, 2010 – CWP (Anaheim) – The fallout from Anaheim Mighty Duck James Wisniewski’s dirty hit on former teammate Brent Seabrook of the Chicago Black Hawks on Wednesday night continues, complete with an escalating war of words involving the coaches and executives on both sides.

Wisniewski, for his part, is having none of it and has come clean on the incident that triggered the whole controversy.

Yeah, I tried to kill Seebs [Seabrook]. I’ve never actually murdered someone but I’ve often thought about how much fun it would be to try and, let me tell you, it was even more of a thrill than I thought it would be,” said Wisniewski during an exclusive interview last night, further adding, “Truth is, if I had followed through with my stick on his throat, I probably could have finished the job. I’ve been reading some pamphlets I found on the internet, you know, about ninjas and stuff, and they talk about crushing the trachea and stuff and I really thought I nailed it. Oh well, next time.”

During his research, Wisniewski noted the effectiveness of the “Dance of the Tiger Claw” technique and looked to adapt it to situations where he’d also be holding a stick. “The hockey stick gets in the way a bit but gives you extra leverage when you go after a guy,” noted Wisniewski, “you know, when you’re looking to seriously injure him or just kill him outright. The stick actually helps. The carbon fibre ones aren’t as deadly as the wood ones, but I have to use the carbon one cause, you know, I’m still supposed to be playing hockey and I shoot better with carbon.”

Seabrook was able to quickly recover from the murder attempt, but remained bewildered at Wisniewski’s behaviour through the whole incident, noting “He [Wisniewski] was all ‘Die! Die! Die!’ when he came at me, his eyes had gone blank and his lower lip was bleeding. I think he bit it.” When asked about Seabrook’s comments, Wisniewski confessed, “Yeah, I was totally out of it. Just before the game, I downed a 40-pounder of wood alcohol in the parking lot and smoked a lot of meth. A lot,” further adding, “When I get in the mood to kill, I need that extra dose of adrenaline to, you know, wake up the dragon.”

I’m hoping the suspension will give me some time to improve my technique. I bought one of those wooden training dummies, you know, the same one used by Bruce Lee. I put a helmet on it and am working on stuff,” said Wisniewski, confidently adding, “I figure I can probably take a couple of guys out before the season ends. So, you’ll want to tune in.”

Tune in, indeed. It goes without saying that everyone’s going to be watching the first Ducks game with James Wisniewski back on the saddle, cause it’s clear he’s going to want to do some more “dancing with his tiger claws”.

Wisniewsky is currently serving an eight-game suspension for the Seabrook hit.

– 40 –

59. jbroderi says:

Burke promises a lot of things, even tavares, but he is a walking contradiction most of the time

i do believe he is a good GM, but I think his arrogance and stubborness to admit a mistake will no doubt cap of his ability to do a whole lot in the short term.

60. Chuck says:

Wait… does that mean the Halak is the backup?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

61. jbroderi says:

obviously they have some good players, but they don’t have the talent to keep winning, let’s be honest.  And their future might be good, but with all the money spent on D, they will have to bring the forwards up from within, and that puts a lot of pressure on bozak stalberg, etc.  Without a first round pick for 2 years, they are still a couple of years away for really competing for the cup, at best.  A lot can go right for them, but i wouldn’t put money on them being that great in the short term.

Montreal does have money issues for sure, but at least we have some form of a nucleus in forwards..

62. Habscore says:

Halak gets the start, it’s official (Ckac)

63. Chuck says:

Toronto doesn’t have a squad that’s capable of playing consistently well over long stretches, but they too have been playing well since the Olympic break and hav stashed away some W’s. They’ll definitely be bringing it tonight; Habs should win, but don’t be surprised if it’s not an easy one.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

64. Habscore says:

I’m surprised the LAffs are putting the supposed “Monster” in nets…I guess it’s a good thing for us..

65. hab lifer says:

I would hardly call a team wth Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Kaberle an AHL team.

In fact I watched the beat NJ and they looked damn good. watch out for the leafs in 2 years as they will surely overtake us. Burke has promisedto wign snipers come July 1st and with their D they will be formidable.

as fas the habs are concerned, the contracts of Gomez, Spachek and Hamrlik are like a noose around the team. habs. as a result I don’t see this team improving until 2012.

66. Shiloh says:

Don’t mind Price getting a start – gives Halak a nice rest going into next week. If Price has a great game, we win and the value of both of our goalies continues to rise (I’m sure we will move one prior to the draft). If Price has a tough start, maybe that’s to be expected – he’s sat for quite a while. He definitely needs some minutes.

67. Caper says:

Seems like people are expecting the boys to lose. BS. We’re kicking a– and going to keep rolling.

68. jbroderi says:

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this game, that we might lose, it doesn’t matter.  IT DOES MATTER!!  If we lose to this bunch of AHL, ECHL bums, then all the prior optimism on this site might be called into question.  Yes, they will come out hard, but we haven’t earned anything yet either, so I say this is 5 to 2 Habs!!

69. jbroderi says:

On a seperate note, does anyone here think Dean brown and Gary Galley are the most unbiased announcers?