About this season …

MaxScores
When the puck dropped to start the Canadiens season in Toronto, the players on the ice were Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Max Pacioretty, Chris Campoli, Josh Gorges and Carey Price.
When the siren sounded at the Bell Centre Saturday night, ending the 2011-’12 season, the players on ice were Tomas Plekanec, Louis Leblanc, Rene Bourque, Tomas Kaberle, Frédéric St. Denis and Peter Budaj.
Yeah, a lot happened between Oct. 6 and April 7.

The Canadiens lost 51 of their 82 games. They broke the hearts of many fans, and the season took its toll among coaches and front-office executives.

Perry Pearn, Jacques Martin, Pierre Gauthier and the Teflon Hall of Famer who doesn’t get nearly enough blame for the debacle: Bob Gainey.

The Canadiens have the third best chances of securing the top draft pick when the lottery draw is held Tuesday night. No matter what happens, they won’t pick lower than fourth.

The team will be represented at the lottery by Larry Carrière. A respected hockey man, Carrière began the season as assistant general manager, was shuffled down to the bench as an assistant coach and then moved back upstairs to assume a caretaker role until Geoff Molson and Serge Savard hire a new GM … which I think they’ll do in time for the draft.

Shall we review what went wrong?

• I think the season went sideways before it began.

Shortly after the annual golf tournament, where Gauthier ventured the prediction that Andrei Markov might miss the first few games of the season, the Canadiens embarked on a ridiculous exhibition schedule that included eight games in 12 nights and three sets of back-to-backers.

The rigors of the money-grabbing sked required Martin to keep a battalion of players in camp. The Canadiens had very little time for the likely season starters to get acquainted and learn each other’s dance moves.

So when the puck dropped in Toronto, Erik Cole was playing with David Desharnais and Mathieu Darche on the third line. The second line had Tomas Plekanec centring Andrei Kostitsyn and Mike Cammallery, while the fourt line consisted of Andreas Engqvist, Travis Moen and Yannick Weber.

The Canadiens dropped their opener to the Leafs, stomped the Jets on opening night in Winnipeg and then lost six in a row.

Even a subsequent four-game winning streak failed to calm the vague anxieties of fans who noted Markov was MIA, leaving a defence corps that included two NHL rookies, Raphael Diaz and Alexei Emelin.

Gomez nightmare slump continued – he would not score until Feb. 9 – and Martin stubbornly denied Cole power-play minutes. Mike Cammalleri, a sniper hopeless playing without the puck in his own zone, chafed under the requirements Martin’s defensive system. Kostitsyn was in a permanent fog; and with the exception of Moen, no one could fight.

So there were issues, right out of the gate.

Then there was home-ice disadvantage.

The Canadiens lost their first five games at the Bell Centre before beating the Flyers 5-1 on Oct 26. It was a sign of things to come; and by season’s end, the Canadiens had lost 26 of their 41 home games.

The Bell Centre had ceased to intimidate visitors. The building’s only effect was an epidemic of dry lips and tight grips among the occupants.

Up on the seventh floor, Gauthier was desperately making moves that might spark the team.

The general manager fired Pearn, the coach’s closest ally, as a shot across Martin’s bow. It didn’t work.

Gauthier fired Martin and entrusted a struggling team to a unilingual anglo with zero experience as an NHL head coach.

With no indication of when Markov might return, Gauthier traded for Tomas Kaberle. This briefly pepped up the power-play – which was a mess, what with the previous coach using Plekanec on the point and Darche up front – but the trade gave the Canadiens another contract to file, right after Gomez’s, as T for toxic.

Rather than wait until deadline to trade the malcontent, mouthy Cammalleri, Gauthier dealt him to Calgary for Rene Bourque. In explaining the move, Gauthier blithely announced a virage in the Canadiens’ philosophy.

Speed and skill – which Gainey naively believed would carry the Canadiens to glory under the NHL’s new rules – were all well and good, Gauthier said, but what a team really needed was grit. Most goals were scored, the GM said,  close to the net – dirty areas shunned by Cammalleri but accessible to a forward with size, like Bourque.

Sadly, Bourque – who had two 27-goal seasons in Calgary – couldn’t score from the drty areas, the clean areas or any area covered by ice. Bourque had a 15-game slump and finished the season with five goals in a Canadiens’ uniform to go along with the 13 he had scored in Calgary.

The Canadiens were slow starters and weak finishers in too many games. They blew leads and went 11-10-16 in games decided by one goal. They scored fewer goals than any other Eastern Conference team except Florida.

The Canadiens sucked in shootouts. Their 12 losses were the league low.

The power-play capitalized on 14.3 per cent of its opportunities – third worst in the league.

The penalty-kill was second-best, behind New Jersey, but that may have been from practice: The Canadiens’ 350 minors were exceeded only by Dallas and Philadelphia.

I’ve probably omitted about 15 other fiascos.

It was just one damn thing after another, all season long.

But it’s over.

And there were encouraging signs in the season finale:

• In addition to scoring his team-leading 35th goal, Erik Cole lay full out on the ice to block a shot … in a meaningless game. Give Gauthier his due for the Canadiens’ best UFA signing EVER. Cole never took a shift off, emerged as a leader in the room and scored five more goals than he ever had in his career.

Man, if he were 26 years old … mais bon.

• The fourth line was excellent against the Leafs. Brad Staubitz’s crazy rink-length empty-netter was his first point since the Canadiens claimed him off waivers at the deadline.

Know what? I think Brad Satubitz is going to be on the team next season. He isn’t Chris Neil, but close enough. And Staubitz is not a heavyweight, but he is a willing and skilled fighter.  Teams take fewer liberties around Carey Price with Staubitz in the lineup.  For me, he’s a keeper.

I like that Gabriel Dumont kid, too. He’s small but nasty and has a non-stop motor. Dumont will never be Brad Marchand, but I’d settle for a Keith Acton.

So here’s your team next season:

• Price and Budaj

• Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, St. Denis and a stay-at-home D-man with size. Maybe bring Hal Gill back. Bryan Allen? Bury Kaberle in Hamilton.

• Cole, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Gionta, Plekanec, Eller, Leblanc, White, Staubitz, Dumont, Bourque (unless they can package and move him), maybe Moen, maybe Darche. Plus either a draft choice who’s ready or a stud forward, possibly acquired by swapping the draft choice.

Ryan Getzlaf? Rick Nash?

Gone? Gomez, Weber, Petteri Nokelainen. Mike Blunden, Aaron Palushaj and Blake Geoffrion in Hamilton.

Lots to talk about during the off-season, peeps.

Fearless prediction: Your 2012-’13 Montreal Canadiens will make the playoffs.

1. issie74 says:

I think the draft could change,and probably will between now and June 24.
    I like both big centers but forgive me for not having one clear choice,I did see Dumba shut down Grigorenko during the Juniors tournament at Xmas,I have watched Galchenyuk and Nail play with Sarnia and since Nail is not available,call me crazy but I can see Forsberg along side Eller he is big and has a nasty side to him
    I realize I am rambling but I guess TT will take the best player available.I would not trade any of our young Dmen,wait and see how it goes with Markov and Diaz before making any decisions.

NorthTOHab

2. kazmojo says:

I like Boone’s lineup for next year. Maybe the new CBA adds the much rumoured one-time amnesty clause, in which case Molson would only have to eat Kaberle’s salary.

I’d add Pavel Kubina to the probably long list of physical dmen. Would be nice to have Gill back too.

And I like the idea of trading the pick. But Nash is a right winger. Cole and Gionta already occupy those spots on the top lines. And Getzlaf’s a centre — Plekanec or DD would have to be moved (maybe included in the trade?). And highly doubtful Anaheim’s parting with Getzlaf.

But they have shopped Bobby Ryan — a right-handed left winger with size and scoring ability. His current contract is slightly bloated given his production, but nothing like Kaberle’s or Gomez’s.

3. ZepFan2 says:

:-o

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

4. Natty-Dread says:

Just to point out…

Boston won with Krejci and Bergeron down the middle, and Chicago was a sick all around team when they won, and didn’t have that 1 big centre either. Philly now has Briere and Giroux and look way better than they used to; And who could forget Detroit??
    All these teams have either won cups or come close without the elusive ‘big centre’ (Philly’s did have Carter in their run, but it didn’t help did it)?
    These teams all had big, skilled, often mean-ass wingers who could make space for their centres, and they all had really good chemistry and played with each other consistently.
    Draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko or Forsberg, and they can all move to the wing if necessary. But don’t rush to trade DD or Plex or Eller. That would be foolish.

5. boonie says:

After enduring our abysmal season, we all want to know what results we can reasonably expect next season… But, knowing that HIO’s intelligentsia value facts over conjecture, I crunched a few numbers.

More specifically, I looked at all the teams that finished in the bottom 5 since the lockout and their improvement in points and rank over the next few years. Here goes.

The average bottom 5 team since the lockout, averaged 70.8 points (lo=56; hi=80.0). The average of the 16th place team during that stretch was 92.2 points. That means a bottom 5 team needs to improve by about 21 points to move into a playoff spot.

Over the six season spanning 2005-06 through 2010-11, 30 teams “bottomed out”. That includes multiple bottomings for Atlanta/Winnipeg (2), Chicago (2), Colorado (2), Edmonton (2), Florida (2), Los Angeles (3), NY Islanders (4), St. Louis (2), Tampa Bay (2), Washington (2), and Boston (2 – courtesy of Kessel).

Of those 30 teams, the average improvement was 11.4 points. That means a bottom 5 team is likely to stay out of the playoffs the next year unless they are 26th and have an average point improvement. But I digress.

7 teams covered the 21 point spread…

Pittsburgh (in 2006-07 with a staggering 47-point improvement)
    St. Louis (2006-07, 24)
    Washington (2007-08, 24)
    Philadelphia (2007-08, 39)
    Los Angeles (2009-10, 22)
    Colorado (2009-10, 26)
    Florida (2010-11, 22)

For those of you still following (or interested), that means two things. First, 23 teams didn’t come near improving enough to make the playoffs the next year. Second, Only two of the seven that showed meaningful improvement hurdled the 21 points with room to spare — Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

That tells me a couple of things. Either your team has to be in Pennsylvania or the city has to start with the letter “P”… All kidding aside, Pittsburgh drafted Crosby first overall in 2005, Malkin 2nd overall in 2004, Fleury first overall in 2003, and finally, Stall first overall in 2006. Clearly, this is a unique case.

Philadelphia was an odd ball (perhaps, someone with a better memory can help me)… they finished with 101, 56, 95, 99, 88, 106 and 103 points from 2005-06 through 2011-12. Not sure what happened in 2006-07, but it’s an outlier of near-biblical proportions.

Noteworthy exclusions are the Blackhawks and Capitals. Chicago grabbed Kane and Toews who are the foundation for a Cup and consistent ascent to the elite. Washington leapt from two 70 point seasons to 94, 108, 121. Again great talents picked early propelled them.

This suggests, sadly, we are in for at least one more non-playoff year. But, grabbing a great talent could help be the pivot point for the long term.

• The Juice says:

Interesting read. My main critique, Habs don’t need a 21 point improvement to make the playoffs, just 14. Turn 6 of the 12 shootout losses into wins, that means only 4 more wins that were regulation losses last year. Given the team’s record in one-goal games, small improvement in that area and they are in. Given the talent on hand and the chaos in coaching that the team endured, I would be surprised if they didn’t make it in next year with the exact same team. Given the new GM is sure to make improvements, they are a lock.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• stevieboy says:

In addition to Cole and Gorges, another great unsung hero has been Budaj.

Hes been stellar and gracious.

Good one by the Goat, give him that.

Stevie

• rjonline1 says:

Another critique – the 16th place team is not necessarily making the playoffs – or to put it another way – the 18th place team could make the playoffs. For instance, if the 8th-10th place western conference teams may have a higher point total that the 7th or 8th place eastern conference teams. But your use of the 16h place team as a general gauge is fair enough. Good read – thanks!

6. SmartDog says:

Couple of season-ending thoughts, I’d be interested to hear feedback on:
    1. DO WE STILL NEED A BIG CENTER? AND IF YES… I keep hearing experts say that Montreal most needs a big center. No team can wit the Cup without a big #1 center. But yet our one line is DD centering Cole and Patches. So IF you landed the big center, what next? Drop DD down? Build a first line of Big Center-Gionta-Bourque? I don’t see any good coming of splitting up our big line.
    2. BOURQUE. I don’t know about this Bourque guy. Last night a shot of the bench after a goal showed the players cheering and Bourque, stoic, snorting. Weird guy. Is he just not fitting in?
    3. NEW CONTRACTS. One reason I’m glad Gauthier is gone is he seemed to be a lousy negotiator. Every contract (with the exception of Pleks in my eyes) seemed to be at the very top of what you’d expect to pay. I think we’ll get better deals for Price and Suby, who won’t come cheap but at least we won’t be paying Vezina trophy dollars quite yet. As good as Price SEEMS you can’t call him elite yet and he shouldn’t be paid that way – yet. Same for Subi. I was really afraid Gauthier would hand them each 6-7 mil a year.
    4. MOLSON. Sure he did a good press conference. That seems to be one of his talents. But a) is he an insightful hockey guy? I dunno.. I mean, he approved the Kaberle trade and b) will he REALLY spend money to fix this team. The most simple litmus test will be how he deals with Gomez. If he doesn’t bury him, we can know his heart runs a path through his wallet. Even a buy-out (at 2/3 the cost) would be a cheap out that will hurt us in cap room. He needs a total buy-out.
    5. GOMEZ. Gomez is the ONE player I’ve attacked here for not just his play but his character. And everything I’ve said appears to be right. The guy’s a loser who put his own interests ahead of hte team. All that BS about “I need to play better” or “I am a veteran people look up to me” was just a load of crap from a guy who cashes his check, plays soft, and steps up his game only when he’s in front of a microphone. And this year even that died off. I can’t say enough about how much I despise this a-hole, the lies he repeated over and over and the speed bump he was to this team for most of his contract. He has the least integrity of any NHL player I’ve every watched closely. If I’m Molson I put him in Hamilton and make him ride buses to games. People are always saying “you can’t do anything to veterans because players won’t want to come”. But putting Gomez in the minors will send the RIGHT message to any player with integrity: guys that come here and think it’s a joke, let their teammates down, constantly talk like they care when their actions say they either don’t or they’ve just lost all professionalism, are not welcome in Montreal.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“But putting Gomez in the minors will send the RIGHT message to any player with integrity: guys that come here and think it’s a joke, let their teammates down, constantly talk like they care when their actions say they either don’t or they’ve just lost all professionalism, are not welcome in Montreal.”

Was saying something similar below, refuting the idea that sending down players scares off potential new players. I believe it sends an excellent message.

So why not send all three? Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque? Is there some technical reason this would be ill-advised?

Like your other points also.

• SmartDog says:

Thanks. The notion that teams are in a blackmail position with guys like Gomez is ridiculous Management needs to have balls. Players (the ones who also have balls – i.e. the ones you want) will get that.

And send all 3? Absolutely. But I think that’s dreaming. Bourque probably deserves a shot. He scored 27 his previous two years and this year was not a stable situation to walk into. But Kaberle… gawd he’s awful. It’s not even the mistakes that kill me. The guy needs to grow a pair and play like a competitor.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• rjonline1 says:

I think the underlying assumption here is that these players “Don’t have integrity” and weren’t trying. That’s not true. Say what you will about Scott Gomez and the depreciation of his skills, it’s really making a leap to say he isn’t trying at all or has no integrity. Same with Kaberle. Sending players down more readily will have at least one detrimental effect: It will make all players, (those on the team and those who are considering coming to montreal) more hesitant to come to montreal, realizing that they are one or two bad seasons away from being put in the minors if they are locked into a contract. This will also make them less likely to sign a contract with montreal, and more likely to sign big dollar deals elsewhere. Montreal already has enough problems attracting players.

Now let’s not take this to an extreme – I am not saying not to send anybody down ever. I’m not saying not to send gomez down. I’m saying that sending all three down, or even two of the three, would not send the “we’re only looking for players with integrity” signal to the rest of the NHL and could have detrimental consequences for the habs.

At any rate, should be interesting to see if there is an amnesty period with the new CBA.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi RJ.
          Your argument against sending players down is the one which comes up here most often and which we’ve all reckoned to have merit.

The question in my mind behind my recent posts is this: do we KNOW that players are put off? Do we have a hockey article/interview where a player or agent or GM says “Don’t like that team — they sent so-and-so back to the minors”? In other words, is there anything concrete that validates the fears you articulate (and we’ve all more or less felt).

If not, I think there’s a lot to be said for disposing of players who aren’t part of a rejuvenated ambition in Montreal, and that this act would tell other serious players, Only come here if you want to win.

Btw, I agree with you about unsafe assumptions that players just aren’t trying or don’t have integrity. It is very tempting to think that way — I did so often with AK47 — but we have no right to and in fact it’s irrelevant. In the case of Gomez, he’s had two seasons to perform up to his billing and salary and has failed. Therefore he should not figure in future plans, irrespective of the reasons for his failure (unless it’s somehow the organisation’s fault).

Cheers

Furthermore, what about SmartDog’s point about the signal it sends

• habstrinifan says:

So how do you really feel about Mr Scott Gomez?

• SmartDog says:

I used to just not like the guy. Now I see him as a liar, a theif, and a fake. I hate him and what he has done to this team. At first I just figured his talent level just wasn’t there but then with all that ” I will be better BS” meanwhile he playd the periphery 4 outa 5 games, it was pretty obvious he just didn’t want to pay the price. As far as I’m concerned he gave us all the finger – and his teammates too. He deserves to ride the bus in the minors. Either that or go to jail for theft.

Glad you asked. :)

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Natty-Dread says:

All the young players on the team have said great things about Gomez’s willingness to help them learn and improve their games. Scotty Bowman once said ‘If he’s great in the room, he can stay there’ and that can be true, but management should make a strong effort to move him to a team looking to hit the cap floor or at least buy him out if we get an amnesty in the new CBA before they look at shipping him off to the farm. He’s a lot more mouthy than Redden so there is that to consider.
          Word gets around – if he’s liked in the room, put in effort to contribute off the ice, and then gets dragged through the dirt – forget about UFA’s wanting to come, why would any of our current roster want to stick around if they feel management would treat them like garbage?
          Regardless of his despicable contract, and his seemingly smarmy attitude, the Habs already look like a classless organization given how they’ve treated Cunneyworth, the mid-game trades, pre-game firings, lack of talent recognition (front office and ice)… They have some SERIOUS PR work to do.
          I’m not saying keep him AT ALL – but there needs to be some work put in to try and get rid of him in a classy way.

• boonie says:

1. Yes. The middle group of DD, Plecs and Eller ain’t going to cut it. One or more of them have to go. Due to his age and potential trade value, I’d move Plecs. Then go after a true big man to play the #1 role.

2. Bourque. Useless. Move him for any residual value before next season. Pity PG was left in charge at the deadline, or he might have been gone already. Secondary point, stop picking up other team’s problems. Specially without a big a discount (see Kaberle and Gomez)

3. Yep.

4. Molson. Full of $h1t. Great a press conferences. But don’t try to tells us that Gainey and Gauthier were so insular that Molson didn’t accept Kaberle contract or Bouque’s. He’s as much to blame as those two dolts. I’d be happier with an honest, Mea Culpe – “I’m learning”. Instead we get platitudes.

5. Gomez — gone gone gone.

• SmartDog says:

My fears are you’re right. (Except for 5 which thank god should finally happen.)

Sadly, I think Pleks might be the one to be traded. I think we’d seriously miss what he brings. And if the new GM thinks that way too and doesn’t trade him.. I don’t know what. This team has so many different problems.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

7. aemarchand11 says:

As per RDS (As per Radio Canada)

Serge Savard is now the Senior VP of Hockey Operations.

8. HabFab says:

Who was calling the choke on Phil in yesterday’s post?

9. adamkennelly says:

Gomez has to be buried or find a way to trade him, which would entail giving away a really good asset and getting nothing in return…or getting another terrible contract back…I would not count on Bourque changing – what we saw is what we get…trade him.

Stauby and White should be on the team. Darche should not. and we need a big, ugly, mean, nasty D man..I vote for Engelland or maybe Theo Peckham – even tho he sucks.

10. H.Upmann says:

My guess: we bury Gomez, no choice but to do so if we want to sign Price and PK… We keep Kaberle and see how he does in hopes of trading him mid-season… Bourque? He drops to 4th line, and if doesn’t pick up his slack will join Gomez the following season. Tough times ahead.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I agree with burying Gomez. He’s had his chances. However, the Habs can’t just bury every underperforming player on the team. I don’t think Kaberle will ever be buried as much as people on this site don’t like him. After all, he’s performing exactly as one would expect him to and it’s not as if he hasn’t been contributing offense-wise.

In the case of Bourque, I think the coaching staff needs to figure out how to get enigmas like him and AK performing. After a while, it’s probably up to the coaching staff to figure out something. The trend is there: players who played better elsewhere come to the Habs and suddenly can’t score anymore (except for Cole, but I think he and Max can play the dump and chase game very, very well or can rush up the wing… others, not so much).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

If you’re suggesting my post below is mostly just wishful thinking, I guess I agree!

However, Kaberle failed his mission — to kick-start our power-play — so I couldn’t agree that he has performed as expected. Also, he has been let go by his 3 previous clubs. Hardly a candidate for a team intending to re-commit itself to winning.

Bourque does not belong to the trend you describe. His two 27-point seasons simply serve to mask the fact that the Flames could not wait to get rid of him. I agree I’m erring on the side of hasty, and that there’s the possibility, as you suggest, that a new coach could extract more of Bourque’s potential from him. But I doubt it. Not to compare skills but hearts — rate him beside Cole (1st line), Pleks (2nd), Eller (3rd) and any of his own linemates: like Kaberle, he does not belong on a team that intends to build towards a championship.

Cheers

11. temekuhabs says:

Bourque?? Dont know what to think about him yet. Big, strong guy who can shoot the puck, but looked disinterested out there, maybe wrong type of C for him?? Or just another player who only plays when he feels like it, (which in his 35+ games here was NOT a lot)

12. temekuhabs says:

When you finish 26th overall, you know changes HAVE to be made.
    With a new GM, you never know what kind of team he will want

13. jedimyrmidon says:

So we already know Price and Cole won’t be at the Worlds, and that Pacioretty will be. Does that mean Subban, Gorges and Desharnais weren’t invited or are too banged up?

• RGM says:

We don’t know yet.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Deano says:

Team Canada invites are not public yet. Just a quick thought. Subban should be invited, Georges is a maybe and DD is a definite NO. There are at least 11 centers ahead of DD. There would have to be a lot of injuries for an average C like him to make it.

14. temekuhabs says:

I don’t think trading our potential 4th pick for Getzlaf is worth it (build through the Draft) we are very thin in the prospect dept. Unless Tampa offers us Stamkos for it…

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Boone: “Bury Kaberle in Hamilton.”

Hopes have been expressed here for a new GM who, among other essential qualities, is willing to be adventurous.

How about this for adventure: burying not only Kaberle but also Gomez and Bourque in Hamilton. All three and be done with it.

They do worse than bring nothing to this team, they hold us back, they waste roster spots, they sap confidence, they are — with apologies — losers. They are not rookies or young players who are still waiting to fulfil their potential. They’ve shown what they have and it’s negative and should not feature in the team’s future plans.

Setting aside for now the damage they might do in Hamilton, the main cautionary argument on this site against sending players down is that it would make other players reluctant to come here. Two counter-arguements:

1) Is it really likely that a player who is seriously considering Montreal, who is therefore past the other supposed obstacles of language, taxes, and the intensive media and public scrutiny, would be put off by the possibility of being sent down in the event that he fails to deliver?

Convince me. Cite examples.

2) Au contraire. If I’m a competitive professional, happy with contract terms, enthusiastic about playing for a storied franchise in a place where hockey really matters, and want to be part of a team building towards a championship, then I WILL BE ENCOURAGED to see no tolerance for spectacular/expensive space-wasters like the trio above. This will reinforce my belief that I am committing myself to a serious and ambitious club. If my agent is holding out the pen to me and suggesting I sign but I see a GM afraid to send down Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque, then I know there are priorities other than building a winning team. I don’t sign.

Maybe adventurous is the wrong word. How about single-minded, no-nonsense, willing to take risks?

• Captain aHab says:

Pretty sure they’ll bury or buy out Gomez but not the other two.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• jon514 says:

Not right to give up on a guy like Bourque. I don’t like him and I don’t want him, but he can bring something back. He’s not played well here, but I bet Calgary would welcome him back for a 3rd round pick.

As for Kaberle… love him or hate him the guy put up good pts/game on a bad team… and that counts for something.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Utterly sucked on d, and did not re-ignite our power-play — what he was brought in for.

Agree that his points were good/ok, and on a struggling team, but only in the 2011/2012 mind-set — mediocrity. I would still maintain that neither he nor Bourque has any place on a team with the mind-set that I hope the new GM will instil.

Cheers

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Why not?
        If I’m missing something — tell me.
        Btw I’m assuming burying is a last resort since there can be no teams interested in trading for any of them.

• mfDx says:

I would rather have Bourque on the 4th line than White.

Sent from my CHphone

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Because?

I’d prefer the guy who comes to play every night to the guy who seems content with a career peak of two 27-goal seasons.

(Having said that, I was interested in an earlier poster who felt Blunden was an upgrade on White…)

Cheers

• mfDx says:

if White can top Bourque’s 18 goals this season, then fine. but in White I see a lot of energy, but little talent. White can’t make a proper pass and seems to have a lower hockey IQ.
          Bourque HAS scored 27 goals. I’d be pleasantly surprised if White ever exceeds 10. If you’ve got Moen, Staubitz and a roided out Gomez on your 4th line next season, there’s no need for White.

Sent from my CHphone

16. Bripro says:

My first full year on here, and here are my deductions!
    1) Even with Gainey’s passion for hockey, his prediction of a smaller faster NHL seriously failed, albeit not for lack of effort
    2) Habs fans don’t appreciate a team focused on D (neither do I)
    3) There has to be something in the water at the Bell centre for a team to lose so many man-hours, for so many consecutive years
    4) The politics which the team is embroiled in is PQ-based, and that won’t be changing anytime soon
    5) There are some great posters here, who make the effort to back up their comments with solid facts, and they do it with grace and diplomacy
    6) There are also a good number of morons on this site who seem to derive pleasure for insulting, arguing and just being contradictory for the sake of contradiction
    7) I have made some friends on here, based on no. 5
    8 ) I look at next year’s lineup, and know that work needs to be done
    9) If I was GM, I would be happy with my goaltending, 4 of my Ds, and the DD line plus Plek
    10) If I was GM, I would shuffle Gomez, Kaberle and Can’tpoli outta here, regardless of cost (but then, it’s not my money either)
    11) I would trade for, draft for, or even dance for another top D, and a forward or two who could play with Pleks
    12) I would agree that Gorges should have the “C” on his jersey

For all of you who have sparred with me, in agreement or otherwise, with tact, diplomacy and respect, I say “Thanks for the laughs, the reservations and the astute conversation”.

For the rest of you, it’s been interesting to say the least.

I don’t know that I’ll be posting much during the playoffs or summer (tuesday lottery notwithstanding), but let’s have some fun next year.

• HabFab says:

Don’t go too far, realize that breaks are needed but the off-season is some of “the best of times” IMO!

• Bripro says:

I’m not saying I’ll disappear completely Frank, but the season is over, and it really does feel a little hollow.
        I’ve got landscaping galore, will be working at the golf course on weekends, and the full-time grandson is taxing, to say the least.
        Who knows, I might be so bored that I’ll be on here even more, but I think the postings will slacken off awfully fast.
        Thanks for the :D!

Happy Easter Brian, I trust your grandson was scouring the house all day today, assuming you spoiled the boy as it sounds like you are want to do.

Happy Easter to everyone else as well.

Enjoy the masters, and here we come NHL Lottery!

(Why can I not help but think Montreal has no chance as long as Bettman and Daley are in charge).

• Bripro says:

Happy Easter to you and the gang here also Gerry.
        This site has been more entertaining than the Habs’ season, and yours were the first posts I found reflected my values, and it’s been fun.
        Let’s hope next year, we’ll be sitting having a drink to their playoff victories.
        I know we’ll be doing it at this year’s summit!
        Cheers!

• Bripro says:

Thanks for proving my point! ;)
      I haven’t seen him in a month, at least.

• JohnBellyful says:

I also take exception to No. 6. Unlike Bripro, I happen to think there’s a number of good morons here. Leave us alone.

• habstrinifan says:

Hi BiPro, Nice post. Hope you still come on at least once per day during the summer. Important issues to settle my friend (oops hope I may call you friend)… important issues.

But I know where u coming from re the yard. LOL

17. CHasman says:

The Habs lost a lot of games in Montreal. Let’s give the fans there some credit for motivating the opposition with their constant serenading. Maybe they’re just having fun but they are not helping the home team by pissing off the opposition.
    Peter Budaj played a lot better after he started playing more often, Perhaps a good idea to play him more often and give Price more rest and maybe even a little extra motivation.
    I was very happy when they got rid of Camalleri because he was just going through the motions and avoiding any physical contact he could. But Rene Bourque is a worse floater and pound for pound plays softer than Squid. We don’t need anyone on the team next year who doesn’t give it his all. He has to go!
    I was excited at the start of this season at the prospect of two up and coming superstars in Price and Subban. They’re not there yet but I’ll still be excited next year, for those two and Patches (he can score 40), Eller, Desharnais, Emelin and of course Cole. We need to make room for a small, gritty fireball by the name of Gallagher, a big rugged defence man, and another forward like Cole. That’s all folks. I can’t wait for next year.

18. habstrinifan says:

More catching-up reading… see link and scroll down to GM search.

This one on the GM search. Nothing new but very detailed pros and cons and some 1 to 10 rating comparisons. I think very insighful. I liked the absence of some names… shows that writer didnt go for the cacophony in the media.

19. Laramy87 says:

Lets not kid ourselves, Gomez and Kabelre will both be back with the Habs next year. No one will take those contracts, and i feel as an origanization they wont bury those contracts in Hamilton.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

We are all hoping you are wrong. Everybody is acting like it is a done deal, no more Gomez/Kaberle. It’s going to tell us a lot about whether Jeff Molson is more interested in winning, or making money. If mngt keeps one or both up with the Habs, make him pay by staying away…btw, good luck with that.

• Stev.R says:

Kaberle will be back even though his contract isn’t bad. .5 ppg veteran defenceman is pretty useful.

Gomez can be bought out.

20. habstrinifan says:

Wanna know why people loved the Rocket so much.

Read the following. It’s a long read but worth it. The black white pics are dramatic too.

21. smiler2729 says:

Ryan Getzlaf is not coming here, Rick Nash is not coming here either, this isn’t fantasy league hockey.

Montreal is not a preferred destination cuz of the Quebec politics issues (taxes, language, school, etc) and most of all cuz of the microscope.

This organization has to learn to develop from within and work on keeping those players here so every time I read one of you offering P.K. Subban or Carey Price in a far fetched trade, I wonder if you really watch the players on the ice or just like the attention writing about dealing them gets ya here in HIO land.

All I really want as a fan is an entertaining team that makes the playoffs way more often than not.

Oh yeah, Happy Joyeux Paques.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
    Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• LafleurGuy says:

Thank goodness Eric Cole came here. He happens to be American. Brian Gionta is also American. American citizen Scott Gomez was obtained by trade. Getzlaf is not an UFA this summer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• smiler2729 says:

Erik Cole came here cuz he grew up in Oswego, NY on the shores of Lake Ontario across from Kingston so he’s always been a Habs fan, oh and he always had success as an opponent in the Bell and, oh yeah, they offered him a 4th year at his age.

Gionta got 5 years at his age, see the Habs have to overpay to seduce players here.

And then there’s Daniel Briere who took less to go to Philly and Alex Tanguay who bolted as soon as he could.

Throw in the language/educational crap that even Guy Carbonneau talked about and it’s a tough sell.

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
        Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

22. naweed235 says:

At least I am now confident that Budaj can do the job a decent backup. I don’t think his record this season does him justice. he should be good for 15-20 games next season.

23. Sal from the Hammer says:

Like to see every prospect play at least one full season in Hamilton. No team worth it’s salt brings up prospects for their full first season. Maybe, for a game here or there, as a reward for their play on the farm, or, to fill in for injuries, etc. Have to develop players wisely and a year in the AHL is the perfect training ground. CP is a prime example of what can happen when a player is brought up too soon. Good thing he learned a thing or two along the way from a player like Halak, that paid his dues, or, who knows what would have become of him.Obviously worked ot well for him. Tinordi, Gallager, Kristo, Bournival, Beallieu, Ellis, et al, welcome to Hamilton, I can’t wait to se these guys take the next step. Plus, with any luck/sound mngt, Gomez and Kaberle can mentor these guys from the farm. Big yuk!!

Even if the Habs miss the playoffs one more year, it will be worth it to be patient. Wth some cap room, bye bye, Gomez/Kraperle, some wise spending, by the new mngt team, with the current core, maybe they can afford to be patient one more year. It will be worth it!

• LafleurGuy says:

Not meant to be argumentative. One or two weeks back, Chris did the research to reveal 4 draftees were with their NHL club in their 1st year in the organization, and one year ago, Tyler Sequin and 2 other new draftees were with the big club.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Not saying it is cemmented in stone. If for example Grigorenko is ready, then by all means, let him start in montreal. Just that in genaral, players that are “developed” turn out to be better pros more often than not. Especially if they are not considered elite level when they are drafted. The pressure to be good now, and, the salary cap, often forces teams to bring thier prospects up too soon. The teams that remain patient with their prospects, eg., Detroit, have more long lasting results. Mind you, it helps that Detroit’s core players never seem to age…

24. pmaraw says:

I keep hearing heads talking about trading our #1 pick. I hope this doesn’t happen. I think people are trying to persuade others in the habs organization, or whoever is coming in, before they even get in. Saying things like ‘Montreal needs immediate help’ and talking about getzlaf or nash. Nash isnt coming to Montreal, so it would be getzlaf.
    Now I know getzlaf is good, has been on team canada and so on and so forth, but he’s kind of old school offence compared to these kids at the top end of the draft, the way they stick handle thru traffic, the way they pick corners from all kinds of spots around the net. I think these kids add an even great dimension to a hockey club than a mini joe thorton, which all I feel getzlaf is, with a ring but w/e.
    I think its a player that’s like one of these kids we could pick up with our draft pick that makes getzlaf look good (and he only looks good, not great) and thats corey perry.
    However, if it was Nash, I might be able to get on board.

• habsgod says:

GETZLAF is twice the player that nash is or ever will be ,however i wouldn’t trade our pick period i’d keep it and select grigorenko,or forsberg unless we win the lottery then we wil take yakupov

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Yes Grigorenko, or, Forsberg. DO NOT trade this pick. Habs worked too hard to get this pick to mess it up now!! Six of the top ten in the ISS draft order are defencemen. Habs need a big forward, and, Grigorenko and Forsberg, fit the bill nicely. If they MUST take a D man, let it be Dumba.

25. habstrinifan says:

I am p’d that no one is looking at my post re a d-man. Maybe it’s too long.

So need: cheap, readily available d-man stay at home with size and least 80 games NHL experience over 3 seasons.

Scanning TSN data base A-B(so far).

Name 1:Sheldon Brookbank UFA this year. Made 750.00 last year with Anaheim. Look at his stats. His career. Look at his plus/minus. Look at his “resigned with team” record.

Name 2:Karl Alzner of Washington, but he is RFA for 2012-2013. Still may be relatively cheap obtainable in a trade.

??????

• pmaraw says:

I think a list of dmen to stay away from might be better, like komisarek ummm… thats all i got.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

That’s some good homework there trinifan …nice work. Always use spare/depth D men. Don’t know yet if they plan to re-sign Diaz or Emellin.

• LafleurGuy says:

Read your note and the proposed players have appeal. Before they were signed sealed and delivered, had no idea the Habs were pursuing Spacek, Hamrlik, or Gill, so in the business cycle of veteran d-men, the team is due for another UFA defenceman.

“May you live in interesting times.”

26. jmsheehy19 says:

Pretty weak Free Agency this year. I don’t think we’ll be serious contenders for Suter, Parise, and to a lesser degree Semin and after them it’s a pretty big drop off. Also, I think Parenteau will stay in NY to keep playing with Tavares. Combine that with our next wave of prospects likely being a year or two from being ready, and I don’t think we’ll be looking at a drastically different lineup next year (barring a trade).

Im actually happy about that in a way. I think this team is better than they showed this year. Likely will get the chance to prove me right or wrong.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Here’s a realistic guess at what we may look like, I’d say good enough to to finish 5-8, though probably not good enough to contend. My only major assumption is somehow Gomez will not be with the team next year.

FORWARDS
      Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
      David Jones ($3.250m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
      Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
      Ryan White ($0.888m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Travis Moen ($2.000m)
      Brad Staubitz ($0.575m) / Mike Blunden ($0.677m)
      DEFENSEMEN
      Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.400m)
      Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($4.000m)
      Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Shane O’Brien ($2.000m)
      Frederic St. Denis ($0.666m) /
      GOALTENDERS
      Carey Price ($5.000m)
      Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
      ——
      SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,482,833; BONUSES: $300,000
      CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,817,167

• RGM says:

With all due respect, adding 3 spare parts will not be sufficient to make this team jump 7-10 spots in the Eastern Conference.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• jmsheehy19 says:

I should have clarified 5-8 as an at best scenario. But I think with as tight (and weak) as the east is combined with how many 1 goal/ OT games we lost it’s feasible.

27. habstrinifan says:

Catching up on some reading while easing into hockey semi-retirement. See the following article… maybe a week old.

Among the interesting observations:

Re Quebec Franchise and de fact no Roy in habsland.

“Following up on my report last week, further items continue to emerge in what is fast becoming a distraction to looming CBA talks. Further to news that the Montreal Canadiens failed to confirm their usual pre-season game in Quebec City, giving no reason why, the pressure continues to build.

Perhaps the Habs declined to confirm an appearance in Quebec City because they feel the building might be busy? Or perhaps Montreal felt confirming any calendar dates prior to the establishment of a new CBA made little sense. Whatever the reason, as of now it doesnt look there’s going to be a Canadiens vs Lightning matchup at the Colisee next September.

But could it mean a possible Habs vs Nordiques matchup or two? Well, I think that’s what we’d all like figure out.”
    =================================

“With eyes pointed at Tampa Bay’s management and coaching staff as possible candidates for the posts in Montreal, ie. Julien Brisebois as GM and Guy Boucher/Martin Raymond as head coach and assistant, why not look a hit higher up the Bolts management list at a guy like Steve Yzerman?

Sure, it’s a wild-eyed cockamamie thought, but let’s be honest, here is a guy who really wanted the job last time around but was passed over in consideration of internal promotion. ”

Still think the ‘language issue’ for good or for bad does not limit the field of candidates. How many franchises would have passed up Yzerman?

28. twilighthours says:

Re:cap space.

I hope the habs manage it so that they have 8-10 mil come the summer of 2013. I honestly believe that the habs have a chance of landing Crosby when he becomes UFA.

29. AliHaba says:

It’s been a tough season to be a Habs’ fan for sure but being the eternal optimist I look forward to an exciting 2012-13 season and play-offs.

If you listen to Glenn Healy you’d think no prospects exist in the Habs system. Au contraire. I agree that Hamilton have few hopefuls right now but look at the influx of talent coming in from the junior and university ranks. I don’t think it’s too far-fetched that two or maybe more of these kids (Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Kristo, Pateryn, Holland, etc.) show up with the big team sometime next season.

Add to that the possibility that our coveted lottery pick is an NHL-ready phenom and there are lots of reasons for optimism.

And…..our young stars take another step forward…..Price in the running for the Vezina, Subban evolving into a Norris candidate, Pacioretty threatening the 40 goal mark (or do I dare to think 50!).

Is everyone excited enough yet? What about a surprise UFA signing to boot?

Have a great summer everyone!

• twilighthours says:

Bury gomer’s 7.3mil hit and you’ve got a nice free agent signing!

• Mike Boone says:

Why would anyone listen to Glenn Healy?

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• HabFanSince72 says:

To better ignore PJ Stock?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• AliHaba says:

Good point Mike but I had to watch the game on CBC since I wasn’t at home last night. Perhaps I should have turned the volume off.

And I must say that I’m impressed that you take time for us today when you could be doing better things. Or maybe there is no better thing to do on Easter Sunday afternoon than Habchat.

• habstrinifan says:

I saw the assessment. Healy may have exaggerated but Hamilton does look bare in true prospects now. Of course the junior ranks graduates will change that.

• jedimyrmidon says:

It is rather irksome to listen to Healy say how the Leafs have so many good prospects while the Habs have nothing. Guess he doesn’t realize that over the past couple of years many have graduated from Hamilton to the actual team (Pacs, Subban, Weber, Desharnais, White) while others never played in Hamilton due to injuries/took different paths to the NHL (Eller, Emelin, Diaz). Also, about a quarter of the Bulldogs have been called up since the Habs have been missing like half the team due to injuries (Leblanc, St-Denis, Palushaj, Blunden).

Wow, that’s quite a list. And, yes, there will be a large influx of good prospects next season. So, the situation isn’t as bleak as it’s painted out to be.

• twilighthours says:

Healey might counter with “well if these good prospects have graduated, then why was the team so bad? Maybe these prospects weren’t that good.”

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, though I doubt he would argue the Subban or Pacs or Desharnais is bad. In fact, they are very much among the only reasons the team didn’t do a lot worse along with Price who is young himself.

• SmartDog says:

Healy would be the dumbest commentator on TV if it weren’t for Milbury.

A lot of our prospects were fill-ins this year because of injury. On any other team, they’d still be in the minors.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

30. Rob says:

Happy Easter everyone! I posted a short video i made here last night to celebrate the holidays and the end of this miserable season. I’ll repost it again here, but also….kinda nice to think of the symmetry of a holiday that celebrates death and resurrection with the end of the season and the (hopefully) upcoming resurrection of our beloved Habs!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

31. Dr.Rex says:

Does anyone know for sure if Pierre McGuire (Mr.Peanut) has been contacted for an interview?

• New says:

You mean by the cops or by the kid’s teachers?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Not sure, I know that my posts on here did not create enough “buzz” for me to get an interview.. I figured the years of watching sports and playing various NHLPA video games on franchise mode makes me the perfect candidate. I once had a dynasty win 5 straight cups.. like c’mon.. 5 in a row, 30 team league… I am the best person for the job, I will learn French in my first year on the job.

• habstrinifan says:

I dare not answer or speak the name of whom you speak for fear of the anti????? hourde descending on my humble abode.

32. Mr_MacDougall says:

How desperate is Brian Burke? Would it be possible to pry his lottery pick away as he tries to save his job by making the playoffs next season? Who would you be willing to trade for this lottery pick?

Cole?
    Gionta?
    Markov?
    Plekanec?
    Bourque & Kaberle ;)

• Dr.Rex says:

Leafs wont trade that pick. They will be looking to trade up possibly with Edmonton.

But I would offer something involving TInordi and Nashville 2nd.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The Leafs might be the perfect trading partner for Tampa to unload the terrible Vinny deal.. heck I wouldn’t trade Gomez for Vinny straight up.

Edit: A lot of buzz that Burkie has one more year, and no playoffs, he is fired. If it was me, I’d trade the pick to save my job.

• Bill H says:

Cole? Trade the team’s highest scorer who just had a career year and was a leader on and off the ice? Yes, I would trade him, but you would have to surgically remove my heart before I could bring myself to do it. Because that would truly be a selfish, heartless move.

Gionta? The captain of the team? Sure, he’s had an off year, and he hasn’t been around forever because of injury. But I do remember him showing a lot of spark on the ice, shift after shift.

Markov? After all we have been through together, and now that he is finally back and starting to return to all star form?

Plekanec? The guy who scored a goal last night 5-on-3? The backbone of our PK? The guy that will score at least 25 goals and 80 Pts a year for us if we will get him some decent wingers?

Actually your question is a fair one. Considering the ages and cap hits of the first 3, it would be a good trade in the long term if we got the #5 pick in the draft. But I think it would badly hurt the team next year. So I wouldn’t do it. Even though we finished in 28th place, I don’t think such radical surgery is called for.

33. RetroMikey says:

My Fearless prediction:
    Our 2012-’13 Montreal Canadiens will NOT make the playoffs.
    Yeah, believe it Boone. I don’t like the team you assembled for next season, we are still too soft and not big with grit!
    Dark and gloomy days and seasons ahead for our once proud franchise, I’ve said this right from the getgo when Bobby blew ship on this team!
    Trade bait players like Plekanec and Markov and others for our needs for bigger stronger players to compete in the East!
    Well, tanking was good, we get a top 3 pick this draft and let’s hope next season as well.
    With proper draft picks, and young prospects couples with no name big grit players, we will see the Cup sooner than hanging onto to smurf players like Pleks, Gionta, etc. (I’d keep DD only) and trade the older Russian in Markov while his stock his still at value.
    If not, yes this team ain’t going nowhere next year or for seasons to come.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

34. habstrinifan says:

So I started an exercise pretending to be GM eh… please some of you bear with me and read thru and give me feedback.

Task:
    Find a D for my team. Stay at home. Over 6ft. Not Injury prone. Fairly available. Fairly cheap. Least 3 years approx over 80 games in NHL. Defensive defenseman sort of.

Did not want a project; a prospect; Best age 29-33.

Wanted someone to play on team right away for say 3 yrs. While we wait on Tinordi (so that A player like Tinordi could be called up for few games during season to cover this spot if this guy had minor injuries. So I think you can see the specificity of what I am looking for).

Source TSN .. only got thru the A’S and B’s LOL…… SO FAR.

Second best name to me is Karl Alzner of Washington, but he is RFA for 2012-2013. Still may be relatively cheap obtainable in a trade.

What this exercise points out to me is the pitfalls(and laborious hardwork) of GM’ing.

First it is an arduous task and it is easy to fall back on hunches or word of mouth or name … remember I started at A and only got to B.
    That’s why you need a team of exec ppl working their butts off doing similar appraisals… else they would be making too many off-the-cuff choices.. loking at the ‘flavour of the month’ candidates. They start with a specific requirement and then as names pop into their heads they see a ‘superstar’ who will answer ‘all needs’ and end up spending too much for a prospect or past-prime veteran.

In apparaising the names I gave you please remember my very specific criteria to fill a very specific role.

One revelation. Given my criteria, an uninjured Brent Burns (remember him.. woulda be a candidate except for the CAP HIT).
    Which convinces me even more that PG did not do (himself or through delegation) intensive research as to how best use his cap space. He kinda went for the first ‘big name’…. a lazy way.

35. PrimeTime says:

@LA – I wonder if Koivu had won the “Fans Cup” if he would have dissed them by not accepting? What you tell your son then?

• Mark C says:

Koivu has won and accepted the very same award that Price just won. But since it’s Koivu and not Price, LA’s cool with it, he just hate Price.

• RGM says:

Sorry, it’s not about the award anymore, it’s about the attire that he wore for it. Dressing like he does is a sign of Price’s lack of mental fortitude to compete for a Stanley Cup, in the mind of this individual. The award itself was so ten minutes ago’s argument.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• mb says:

Too bad he wasn’t wearing a suit for that ceremony, it would have given the team a free pass to the Cup next year, right? Dammit, he chose to wear his cowboy outfit, now we’re doomed, for sure. Next thing you know he’ll be criticized for his choice of pyjamas!

36. LA Loyalist says:

Well, an inevitably tough day on HIO. I myself posted some fairly controversial stuff, but it was in the interest of honestly presenting how I felt and in sincere interest in how you guys read certain situations. I’ve been known to change my mind given a reasoned argument (yeah, I miss SF, too).

I’ll give you an analogy, which isn’t great, but may clarify my point. When Porsche first launched the Boxster (chick car that it is) they focused grouped it by age. Young people loved it all, old people were offended by the “plasticky” interior.

The same thing, but people perceived it differently based on their age and life experiences. Ergo Price dressing up like The Village People to end a losing season.

Where we can all agree is that this has been a saison d’enfer that did not end soon enough.

We have a high draft pick, and some good kids in the system.

We have an owner who recognized reality and began what has to be done, and made it clear what his priority is: compete for The Stanley Cup, not just crawl into the playoffs.

It’s a little weird our season ended at Easter.

May our resurrection begin. Happy Easter to all of you.

• smiler2729 says:

It wasn’t the Village People, it was Black Bart from ‘A Christmas Story’

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
      Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• Habfan10912 says:

LA, today we really are all united in our hope as fans. Happy Easter to you and yours as well. And keep your thoughts coming. Even when we disagree its whats interesting about this site. Cheers.

• LafleurGuy says:

Michael_______ in a past Just for Laughs piece, “If you wear a cowboy hat in Texas, you ARE a cowboy. But wear one in LA, it’s PARTY TIME!” Not sure about Montreal.

“May you live in interesting times.”

37. 69HABS says:

The Habs “D” need to get nasty, REAL NASTY this October. No matter if they touch our goalies or not. Lay anyone in our crease flat on their backs! No second wacks at rebounds.