About this evening … (with room audio)

5526061

Photo by Fred Greenslade/Reuters

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Yannick Weber | Travis Moen | Jacques Martin

On the second Monday in October – and on the 364 other days of the year – Montreal Canadiens fans should give thanks that their team scored in the draft lottery and ended up with the fifth pick in 2005.

I didn’t hear him say it, but during the CBC postgame show, Don Cherry called Price the best goaltender in the world.

Like everything else our most famous Canadian says, the statement is a good argument-starter.

But you’ll get no arguments in the 514 or 450 area codes.

Because Price was better than Ondrej Pavelec (What, no Allan Walsh Tweets?), the Canadiens won an emotional, historic game in which they were outshot 31-22 and outhit 26-7.

They won because they buried their chances … and because Price – playing in a raucous MTS Centre with the aplomb of a kid stopping pucks on a pond – was a wall while the game was close.

Carey Price was the reason the Canadiens made the playoffs last season. And if his performances in Toronto and, especially, Winnipeg are valid indicators, the team will be riding number 31 into the postseason again when April rolls around.

But that’s a long way off. There are 80 games to be played, which means that many opportunities for more injuries.

In 2004, the Boston Red finally exorcised the Curse of the Bambino. Pedro Martinez memorably shrugged off the curse, saying if Babe Ruth were playing “maybe I drill him in the ass.”

We need a Martinez fastball to hit the posterior of whatever evil spirit hovers over the Canadiens.

Was it the Patrick Roy trade?

The move from the Forum?

Centennial hubris?

Andrei Markov, Ryan White, Lars Eller, Chris Campoli, Blair Betts and, during the win over the Jets, Jaro Spacek and Michael Cammalleri.

It’s crazy.

Can we hope the law of averages means a healthy Canadiens lineup in March?

In the short term, the Cammalleri cut – rumoured to be worth a two-week absence – probably means a call-up for Aaron Palushaj.

I don’t know what Pierre Gauthier can do to shore up his defence. This is not an area where there’s a whole lot of organizational depth at the pro level (shall we have a moment of silence for the loss of Ryan McDonagh?)

Alex Henry? Frederic St. Denis?

The Canadiens have Monday off, then two days of practice to get ready for the home opener against Calgary.

Jacques Martin will have to juggle his second and third lines to deal with the loss of Cammalleri.

Travis Moen joined Tomas Plekanec (who was brilliant in Winnipeg) and Erik Cole. But Moen’s lovely goal and solid 15 minutes of ice time notwithstanding, he’s not a Top 6 forward.

Andrei Kostitsyn, who played 13:43, likely will be promoted to the Pleks line. And if Lars Eller returns, that gives Martin some more ammo for a scoring third line.

I thought David Desharnais played an excellent game in Winnipeg and so did Mathieu Darche.

Scott Gomez continues to play like last season was an aberration. Following up its performance in Toronto, where the Leafs couldn’t score with four man-advantages, including a 5-on-3 – the PK was perfect again, as the Jets went 0-for-7, with a 5-on-3.

The logo on their jerseys may be different, the crowd was a tad more enthusiastic than any they drew in Atlanta, but this is still a team that missed the playoffs by 13 points last season.

And it’s safe to say if Pierre Gauthier is looking for an experienced D-man, he won’t be asking about Johnny Oduya.

Gauthier doesn’t have to make any hasty moves. Even if Spacek is out for a while, the Canadiens have John Gorges, who was heroic, as usual, against the Jets; P.K. Subban, who played a more controlled game than he did in Toronto, and Hal Gill.

The veterans were supplemented by solid performances from Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz and, in his NHL debut, Alexei Emelin.

Weber used his vaunted laser to score on the PP. Even more impressive was a play behind the net, in which Weber won a puck battle against the taller, heavier Nik Antropov.

Diaz is a revelation. So smart with the puck, so accurate in his passing … and he’s going to get better as he acclimatizes himself to smaller ice surfaces and speedy forwards who force quick decisions.

Emelin took a penalty when the Canadiens were nursing a 1-0 lead. But his 16:27 included a half-minute of PK time, and the big Russian showed some offensive flair on a few up-ice dashes.

In his weekly column in the Journal de Montreal, Scotty Bowman wrote faceoffs are one of the three key components of a successful effort (the other two: PPs and line changes). Tomas Plekanec went 13-10, Andreas Engqvist was 6-3 – and David Steckel does not play for Winnipeg.

I thought the stars were in alignment for the Canadiens to get stomped in this game.

But Mike Cammalleri’s goal diminished the influence of the seventh man, and Price was determined to send 15,000 ‘Peggers home unhappy.

Which they weren’t.

I’ll make a fearless prediction for the home opener: If the Canadiens trail the Flames 5-1 late in the third period, a full Bell Centre won’t be giving the boys a standing ovation.

Welcome back, Winnipeg.

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. --Habs-- says:

Guys and Gals – We won with 3 D with more than 2 games experience last night. We allowed 3 goals in 2 games and won 1 of them!
    The game against TO wasn’t a disaster defensively. Price and the D did their jobs for the most part!
    So why is everyone panicking about the D.
    They withstood most of the Jets pressure and didn’t seem panicked at all. I saw a lot of good things last night that will drive opponents crazy on most nights. Lets see where this goes before bringing in all kinds of troops to defend our zone with journeymen who can’t defend better than what we have!

3. Sharks9 says:

In case anyone’s wondering, out for 2 weeks means Cammalleri misses 5 games. I’d personally be thrilled if that’s all he misses this year.

25 before 14

4. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I have finally understood. To many HIO posters. Pierre Gauthier is really the God PG. He’s clearly part of a pantheon, and seems to be an untrustworthy God. He seeks out fragile players who get cut by flying skate blades (weak-skinned bums) or get legs twisted in lousy ice (he melted it with vegan-vision).

This blame thing is really excessive, True, JM, God of the Underworld, is a dull fellow, but it’s not like they are out out on the ice grabbing guys and twisting their soft little dimpled knees. Or are they?

5. j2w4habs25 says:

Okay first of all – Don Cherry dont give a rats about the Habs and Carey Price so I aint going to listen to him on talking about him being the best in the world – but for all I have seen and heard about this guy he is going to be a future great and lets hope its for a long time with the Habs.

In other notes ; two more players down – what the heck is going on with our team? Did someone send us a curse or something? did the team just go untouchable or what? I hope PG doesnt sign anymore stupid fragile players who will put us in a hole. Lets just stick to what we got and what hamilton has for us – if we lose we lose and if it works then baybee habs nation will get cup crazy!. We dont need anymore players going down, good enough we have Andrei Markov, Ryan White, Lars Eller, Chris Campoli, Blair Betts, Jaro Spacek and Michael Cammalleri out!

In a way I kinda wish it was Gomez who got cut then Cammy, because Gommy has DONE nothing in two games and 1 full year! – what was Bob Gainey thinking giving him a contract that big in this market, was he a Guy Lafleur in his eyes?

I am glad we welcome Winnipeg into the league with a win – I was asked yesterday If I think the Habs should give the Jets a win. My reply was NO because its just like letting any other team win – we have a chance this year at making a good run in the playoffs – taking the Bruins to game 7 and over time in the first round and probably was the strongest and toughest opponent they had. I really think we got a greater chance this year. This takes me right back to our players being on the injured list so they cannot be hurt forever so they better get well soon.

but congrats to the team for winning the first game – it was a huge boune back game. I knew we couldnt lose this one or esle we hab fans would have blew up in red eyes!! lol. Thanks for the win and HaBBie Thanksgiving Everyone..

Carey Price #31

• GenerationYHabs says:

First off Gainey never offered Gomez any money, the Rangers were the ones who signed his contract. BG just traded for Gomez at a time where we needed a legitimate big name 1st line center in the midst of a complete team overhaul.

Secondly, while I’m definetly not what you would classify as Gomez’ biggest fan, he did set up two great oppertunities which should have been guaranteed goals had Gionta not missed the broad side of a barn.

As far as your first point though, I don’t quite get what you’re trying to say. Are you saying PG should ignore glaring holes in our lineup and only stick with AHLers who might not even be NHL ready simply on the chance that they may get injured and then be forced to…. I don’t know.. fill the gaps with AHLers who might not even be NHL ready?

I do however agree with your take on Don Cherry and tonights win though.

• j2w4habs25 says:

What I meant was maybe we can use some AHLers just for the time being because we signed two more Dman who are probably just a waste of money – and when Markov does come back will it be for 2 weeks? 2 games? I am starting to wonder if he is out of commission for good. We can develop our AHL players into NHL pretty well during this time – its just an option.

Carey Price #31

• GenerationYHabs says:

Yeah but the problem with that is do we really want another Max Pac situation on our hands were they bring up a player(s) that isn’t ready, just to potentialy destroy his confidence or do they let him develop his skills in the AHL vs weaker opponents.

If the cap space is there then why not use it to potentially plug holes in our lineup regardless of risk of injury. The only person who really has to deal with paying players on injury reserve and/or potentially lost but otherwise unused cap space is Mr. Molson.

If however someone on the farm is really ready to step up and thrive then more power to them. Unfortunately though during the rather painful pre-season I failed to see many who currently were.

6. Da Hema says:

A bang-up job by a banged-up team. Despite being outshot and outhit, there was never any doubt the Habs would win this game once they scored first. Carey Price is simply this franchise’s saviour. I cannot imagine where this team would be without him. At some point, Price will win a Conn Smythe trophy. We were given a second chance after giving away Patrick Roy. Dear Mr. Gauthier: sign Mr. Price to a lifetime contract.

7. Bob_Sacamano says:

I am really happy I don´t have to read about an offensive-challenged team this morning…

A couple of things I´d like to add:

- It was really great to see Pacioretty scoring
    - Yemelin´s debut was very decent. Btw: He took one penalty but he drew two!
    - It´s nice to have some depth. At the same time I don´t think Spacek´s injury is a problem at all. He should use the chance to retire or get back to Europe. I am so sick of watching other teams running at him all night (I don´t blame them). When everyone is healthy the D should be Markov-Yemelin, PK-Gill, Diaz/Campoli/Weber-Gorges. I´d like to have a big stay at home defenseman to play with Gorges against certain opponents though. A couple of days ago someone here wrote: We have one of the worst D in the league. What a load of ….
    - Gomez: He wasn´t bad but last year as a aberration? I still can´t see him scoring more than 10 goals and when under a little bit under pressure he still passes the puck into no man´s land, just hoping for the best
    - I can´t help myself but I´d really like to see Pacioretty-Eller-Kostitsyn on the second line soon.

8. Bouleau noir says:

Great looking goals by the CH last night, skills can do that and according to Price the Habs has plenty of it, I expect Eller’s return to consolidate even further our top 9 scoring habilities althought Darshe and Moen are good replacements when injuries requires it…… still with Cammalleri out for two weeks maybe Aaron Palushaj will be called-up….. he shure looked up to speed towards the end of his pre-saison games with the CH.

Diaz impresses me, only his second game in the NHL but the guy is a quick learner and can already managed all sorts of situations despite is small size, his passing skills seems to be top notched which is what our forwards need in order to be fully effective, now with Spacek, Campoli and Markov out Diaz is here to stay…… thats the good part of a bad story.

Winnipeg having their team is another good story…. hopefully they’ll win a game soon.

9. Muckbringer says:

look, im going to be stupid and suggest something. hear me out.

with Sids injuries and contract ending at the end of next year 2013 (trippled with his boyhood dream of becoming a hab)
    do you think it could be possible.
    by then spac and gomez will be off the books as well as gill
    (fn legend)

I know im being fantastical but really, whats the percentile to you

10. Muckbringer says:

nobody won the cup last year but thats ok.

my question is, where were you

11. Muckbringer says:

nobody won the cup last year but thats ok.

my question is, where were youÉ

12. Stev.R says:

If anyone wants to read an article about how Canada could support 12 NHL teams then they should check out “The New Economics of the NHL: Why Canada Can Support 12 NHL Teams” by Tony Keller and Neville Mcguire. It’s published on http://www.mowatcentre.ca.

Really interesting stuff. HIO should make it a link?

First of all, a heroic game from the usual suspects – Price, Gorges, PK, Pleks and somewhat DD. I thought Yemelin was pretty decent and so was Diaz. But, imagine if Booduy was in nets? Is Price going to play all 82 games? Pleks will get run down by the time The Gelling is over. WTF is that with the injuries. I can’t believe the bad luck on Cammi’s injury. The only play who can put a puck in the net on a somewhat consistent basis.

Also, imagine the poor suckers who paid not hundreds but thousands dollars to watch this 5-1 blowout.

JM is JM. What is Pleks doing on the ice with less than 5 mins to go and score 5-1? Is losing Cammi no enough? Sigh.

Who’s next?

• Seps says:

Yeah I said the same thing about Budaj down a few comments. Like this is against a 12th-13th place team in the East and contrary to the shots, they dominated us. This game felt like a playoff game not only because of the Winnipeg atmosphere but also because I was feeling some dejavu from the Boston series last year. But hey, a wins a win.

• Muckbringer says:

yeah, but we owned tonight. did not stop

“The gesture was there, but it’s like wrestling, … They do all kinds of stuff and there’s kids in the stands. It’s entertainment. Even one game (suspension), I thought, would have been too much. But I guess they’re trying to give a good image. I can’t do anything about it. I have to be more careful next time, I guess.”

• Muckbringer says:

for the love of dyke, say something positive

• Muckbringer says:

that was a welcome…sarcastic…..

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
      — John Quincy Adams

• Muckbringer says:

and they ate it up!!! welcome new leafs!!!

• Muckbringer says:

i finally found where you got your name timmy!!!!

14. By the way, Price is one win shy of 100 career wins. Good for us. Great for him.

• Muckbringer says:

it will come at home too good call!!!

15. GenerationYHabs says:

I forgot how much of a wall Gorges could be on D after not having him for so much of last year. He’s really impressed me the last two games and I’m really glad he’s back in the lineup in order to eat some of Hamrlik’s missing minutes.

16. Seps says:

What a great game, kept me on the edge of my seat as the Habs played typical Jacques Martin hockey, collapse into the trenches and brace for the bombardment, while scoring on the PP and on the rush.

But here’s a question for all of you who dare to answer,

Is there method to Jacque Martin’s madness? Is there actually a system that he coaches or can anybody really teach a team to put nothing into the forecheck and just hang back while tapping your goalie on the pad as he makes save after save? Cuz I mean really, put Budaj in that game and that’s a 10-5 game for Winnipeg (yes the score may be a little bit of an exaggeration).

• Muckbringer says:

no, martin just got paid by the team

yes sir!!

17. Nitroslices says:

Welcome back Winnipeg. Let’s get the Nordiques back in Quebec City by moving a BS American teams where nobody cares.

Price was solid and at some point in the game the crowd was sarcastically yelling/singing Carey, Carey. A Thrasher’s crowd would not know his name….lol

BTW..Good luck the rest of the way, Jets; except when you play the Habs.

• Muckbringer says:

im sick of the ignorant hockey world thinking this is a strictly french team

— John Quincy Adams

• savethepuck says:

Actually the crowd, IMO was chanting Carey Carey because they thought they could rattle him which I thought was a stretch by far for sure.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

money, money, money!!!

Carey!!!

–St. Patrick

• Muckbringer says:

we started the getting on the goalie and if im not mistaken it started w/PUPA….PUPA

18. GenerationYHabs says:

Anyone else feel bad for Cammi? The guy always works so hard in the off-season but seems to never catch a break with injuries.

I would love to see him play atleast one season where he doesn’t miss a substantial amount of time recovering from injury and another chunk of the season trying to get his game back on pace.

• savethepuck says:

An errant skate is a bad break but I’m hoping he’s OK within a couple games.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Muckbringer says:

i heard 2 weeks. still, enough with the fn injuries!

— John Quincy Adams

• Bill says:

If the Habs had an enforcer that would never have happened. When will they learn. Let’s sign Konopka.

Full Breezer 4 Life

rethinking….rethinking….

LOAD

old boys club..

nhl may be doomed…..

call in Habs…..

the league may be saved….

• Coach K says:

Too funny Bill!

“Shut up and play against him” – Bob Gainey (2011 Heritage Classic)

19. habzfan2003 says:

Hey, don’t know if this was said already, but whats the deal with blair betts? Did I not hear Glenn Healy say that Bettman sent him back to Philly because he was injured or when the Canadiens claimed him or whatever??? Can anyone clarify?

• showey47 says:

apparently failed a physical

• Seps says:

Yeah you can’t put an injured player on waivers as to not screw over other teams, so like showey said he failed a physical so bettman sent him back.

• Muckbringer says:

good point, maybe we didnt know the extent

— John Quincy Adams

• caladin says:

You cannot place an injured player on waivers. The league enforces it because it’s a way to dump money and could be used by rich teams as a sweetener in a trade. As it turns out Betts was injured when claimed, he goes back to philly, who can place him back on waivers (and probably will) when he’s healthy.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

20. Bill says:

Not sure i agree that Gomez looks any different this year. Okay, actually I think he looks exactly the same as last year, it must be said. Let’s hope that changes.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• savethepuck says:

In his defense, he has no goals or assists, but his +/- is even. Last year he had $#itty numbers and a -15. I didn’t see him do anything bad tonight

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Trisomy 21 says:

I saw him fire off some passes almost a foot off the ice, but it’s still only been 2 games. I think so far I’ve liked some of the play set ups I’ve seen, the line just hasn’t finished any of them.

I’m a non believer that Gomez is going to turn it around, but I’m going to wait about 10 games to say I was right about him.

• Chuck says:

He put two sure goals on sticks tonight, but the other guys couldn’t cash. That ain’t Gomez’ fault.

• Seps says:

I agree, until he actually starts putting up numbers (like maybe actually get more goals than sean thornton) I will not think he’s a new gomez. And hey, he took the same ol’ Gomez penalty tonight, nice lazy hold, although normally it’s a trip or a slash…

i concure

• DLHABSNUT65 says:

He’s always a slow starter since he came to Montreal…Altho he looked good in camp. Hopefully the points will start to come soon, then from December on he’ll be smokin’. The line did have their chances. Main thing right not is that he just stays healthy.

• Timo says:

Gomer was Gomer. Pick the puck, skate skate skate… lose the puck. And like that many more times during the game.

embrace the money already

• Muckbringer says:

we all have dreams of the game 7 ot goal. hes up there with pleks for a point. because, hey, who else but the money maker.
      if he misses, i dont want to be around. thats ray finkle territory

21. Mark C says:

If Spacek is out long-term, forget Mara. PG should be calling Bryan McCabe’s agent. His strong left handed point shot would bring back the threat of the one timer, and end the Plekanec point experience. Are you experienced?

22. slapshot777 says:

One thing I don’t understand, and I think that one of the Habs trainers or someone that used to work for the Habs, developed a hockey sock made from Kevlar that prevents skate blades from cutting through this material, which would have prevented this injury to Cammy. Why hasn’t any team or the NHL adapoted this sock.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I once got to see and try out Kevlar gloves that were supposed to be knife-slash proof. One of my partners decided to test it by wearing it and using his hunting knife on it. He was off work for two weeks.

Not sure there’s any way to make the Kevlar strong enough to prevent a skate blade with someone’s weight on it to cut through.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• caladin says:

He may have been wearing them, and they may have reduced the severity of his injury. Be a good question for Boone maybe?

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

• Seps says:

haha, that sock goes on your foot to protect your achilles tendon/ankle it’s not the sock that goes over your hockey sock.

23. WestHab says:

Much better attention to detail and desire to win than game 1.
    Price loves the winney pooh crowd. (oh bother) When they canted “Carrreyyy, Carrrreyy” he love it and played better and better.

24. Dave Alphabet says:

I just noticed on TSN Ice Chips they have Cammi listed as out for 2 months…I hope it’s a typo.

25. punkster says:

Just a few items to get off my chest:
    1. Apologies for my st00pidity in mixing up my facts on Betts earlier today. I screwed up an nhl.com search for stats before posting then didn’t double check my comment. Obviously he’s not a D, obviously the Habs wanted him for face offs. Yet…I still don’t get the angst over him not passing the physical. Nothing gained, nothing lost. They’ll find someone else.
    2. Completely stuffed with turkey, stuffing, cranberries, gravy, smashed spuds, corn and a tasty cream cheese and smoked salmon roll on fresh bagels. Couldn’t eat another bite. Oh, OK just a small piece of cake. But honestly, that’s all, no more. What? Fudge? Well, maybe just a bite. Cookies too? Oh, ya sure, why not.
    3. Watched the game over dinner on a little 13 inch TV from the other side of a large dining room. The Habs appeared small.
    4. Pass the gravy please.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

26. savethepuck says:

One thing I agree about that Mr. Boone says is that even though the Habs won 5-1 tonight, Carey Price was a big reason for it. At 1-0 for the Habs and a 5 on 3 for the Jets, he was the man, and he was before that too. He stood on his head all night.
    Thinking to myself about him being the 5th overall pick in 2005 Draft ( Sidney was 1st btw), I decided to go back and research NHL drafts by the Habs !st overall over the last 40 years( only because the last success I can remember was Guy LaFleur 1st overall in 1971). I thought the Habs didn’t have too many top 5 picks because they were a succesful franchise. I was surprised to see a lot of things. I had conviently forgotten about Doug Wickenheiser taken 1st overall in 1980 over Babchyk 2nd and Denis Savard 3rd( I bet most of you thought Denis was 2nd in that draft because I did too). So I want to go back to 1971 when they got one of my favorites, Guy LaFleur 1st overall, and go on from there, 1972, Steve Schutt was 4th overall and 1973 Mr. Bob Gainey was 8th overall leading to a dynasty by the Montreal Canadiens( please keep in mind we didn’t have 30 teams in the draft back then). 1974 was an interesting year, 5th overall we picked Cam Conner (who?) but got a guy named Doug Risebrough 7th overall. Besides all those years in the last 40, we have not had a top 5 pick. Before I did my research, I thought Carey was our best top 5 since Guy ( which is why I checked) and I still think I’m right.
    Thank you Mr. Gainey for drafting him 5th overall.
    Disclaimer: Patrick Roy was drafted 51st overall in 1984 in an era that goaltenders were not drafted highly ( Bobby Clark quote ‘he’s only a goaltender hahahahaha) and he was the reason that the Habs had their success in the late 80′s and early 90′s meaning 2 Stanley Cups and IMO he was the reason that Luongo, Dipietro. and eventually Fluery were taken early in the Draft.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

27. piter says:

hey Boone, Cherry said and I quote “Price is the best goalie in hockey, right now” not he’s the best goalie in hockey.

28. Haligonian-Hab says:

How bad was O Canada tonight, though?

29. Willy the bum says:

My goodness, our team can’t get breaks on injuries!

First Price on Markov last season, now Weber on Cammalleri! Should fired the skate sharper for making their skates the weapons for slashing knees!

Other than that, missed the game ’cause I thought it starts at 7:00… yeah, I’m a dumb dumb, but now I heard it’s quite a good game. And a historic one for the newly Winnipeg Jets, even though it’s a loss for them.

80 more games to go; by skipping class, I get to watch 46 more games! :D

30. DEANDALLEY says:

Price was ran (as usual this season so far)) on the Jets goal.

C’mon Pricey, do a Billy Smith on them …

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

31. Cohen Chatter says:

Let’s just hope Gauthier does not throw more of Geoff Molson’s money on some bum like Betts or Campoli on waivers. Bring up Alex Henry. We can use a policeman around. And I like Ian Schultz. He showed some grit during camp.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Well, neither is a guy you’ll put your neck out trying to watch skating. Both are too slow for the NHL.
      Betts would have been a good pick up had he been healthy, although he probably wouldn’t have been on waivers if he’d been okay. Campoli as well, had it not been for the curse of the Toronto ice.

32. daveho29 says:

Nice tribute to Rick Rypien tonight.

33. diehardhab says:

sign Paul Mara? I’m kinda serious..

The torch be yours to hold it high!

• pg says:

Absolutely! I posted that a few days ago. He’s big, fast enough, tough enough, clears the crease (we could have used that kind of crease-clearing-muscle tonight), likes playing in Montreal, knows the system, doesn’t cost much, and understands when he needs to sit in the press box. I don’t see how this could hurt us.

• Philly-Poo says:

If we brought back Mara, or, if he chooses to come back, which I’m totally ok with, wouldn’t that kinda make him like that girl who you don’t want to commit to but still enjoy coitus with?

• Propwash says:

At least you get off….

• --Habs-- says:

I liked both Diaz and Emelin last night. They both did a great job under the circumstances. I think they are both adjusting to the smaller ice surface very well and will only improve! Things develop a bit faster in the NHL but they seem to be handling it. Matter of fact for the panicking fans! When there is panic think of this, they seemed to handle the speed a bit better than the Jets experience D last night so now that I talked you off the edge, relax…… These kids are good and will work out. Yes they’ll have some tough nights but hopefully more like last night than not! I especially liked what I saw from Emelin last night! He cracked a few players with his stick and didn’t get pushed around behind the net. He looks like a strong kid and will get more physical as time goes on!

• caladin says:

Seems like a good move to me, unless they’ve got a line on a big top 4 D-man.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

34. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve decided that I don’t like the Jets’ logo. I’m no graphic design expert, I’m no esthete, but it seems to me that its elements fight instead of complement each other. The jet obscures the maple leaf, so that it isn’t really visible, you almost have to actively discern it. The jet itself being silver doesn’t contrast enough with the white background of the roundel, so that it blends in with it. The result is a logo that washes out, instead of being bold and instantly recognizable. This was evident in the CBC broadcast, with the small logo not standing out on the score ticker at the top of the screen.

I’ve stated recently that Jaroslav Spacek is not physically strong enough to play NHL hockey. This may not be a proper indicator of this, but Evander Kane’s bodycheck on him really seemed to hurt him. Maybe any of the Canadiens players would have felt it, workout warrior or not, but he is soft and the word is probably out that he’s an easy target for forecheckers.

Let’s play the kids on defence. It’s not like there are many other solutions, Rod Langway’s not waiting for a callup in Halifax. They’re not going to learn on the bench, so let’s see what they have and enjoy the energy and mobility they can bring. I’m happier with Yannick Weber, Alexei Yemelin and Raphaël Diaz on the blue line than I am with last year’s crew of Roman Hamrlik, Jaro Spacek, Brent Sopel and Paul Mara. We might even lose a couple of games with the youths that we would have won if we still had the veterans, but I’m happy to take a small step back for the future.

PK Subban has to decide if he’s a skating offensive defenceman, or if he’s a tough all-round defenceman who’s got a nasty streak and can mix it up. If it’s the latter, when he starts trading cross-checks with an opponent, he can’t pull off halfway through because he got popped in the mouth. He can’t slash or mouth off another player, then skate away and look over his shoulder to see if Hal Gill is coming in to save his butt. He could very well play a Nick Lidstrom role, with a physical but gentlemanly side and avoid penalties, and avoid getting his teammates into shizzle. However, if he decides he’s a hard-nosed all-round defenceman like Chris Chelios, then he has to put up a couple times and finish what he starts. If he wants to be a pitbull, he needs to be the first one on Mark Stuart when he runs Brian Gionta, and be on him hard. And he can keep battling with opponents for the puck, but he must not stop halfway through and throw up his arms in a show of innocence, letting go of his stick and looking at the referee.

It was good to see our snipers bury some chances, the preseason had us a little antsy. Our forwards have got some wicked shooters among them, let’s pull the trigger Let’s also hope that Mike Cammalleri isn’t out for too long, that guy works too hard to have that amount of bad luck.

It’s certainly not a run-of-the-mill start to the season. All these injuries are going to challenge our lineup, and possibly cut into Mr. Gauthier’s salary cap cushion.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

35. rogieshan says:

Getting Eller back will lessen the loss of Cammalleri a bit. I’m still no fan of Weber as D-man for the long haul but he does bring an offensive element that Spacek lacks.

The “evil spirit” you alluded to can be partly attributed to Martin’s decision to not field a full lineup during the preseason. Guys are still stepping on one another trying to find their collective rhythm.

Save for the Weber goal during the 4-0n-3, the PP looks lost. And Erik Cole: please don’t become the next Sergei Samsonov.

36. Marc10 says:

Coupla thoughts on the game…

DD should continue to get PP time and Weber should be on the point during the PP.

Yemmy and Diaz over Spacek any day of the week. As long as we’re winning, they should be staying.

There’s a lot to like about this game, especially the effort from the bottom 6 and our man between the pipes.

And yes we already know this and it’s something we’re going to have to put up with for a while longer but…. Having three 3 small D in Weber, Diaz, Gorges and 4 small attackers in Gio, Cams, DD and Gomer is going to become a serious liability in a league with inconsistent/piss poor officiating. Sometimes, the size of the dog matters and let’s face it, ours is not a Bull Terrier.

That said – full credit to the gang tonight. I’m glad they got it done for Pricey who deserves to be 2-0.

37. Viruk42 says:

As my father suggested, perhaps the Habs should give Paul Mara a call? Whether he’d want to come back for a third time in 3 years is tough to say, but he is still available, could provide some extra depth (not to mention size).

• rogieshan says:

I thought Federic St. Denis had a decent camp and deserves a look. Adding Mara would create a roster problem down the line when the healthy bodies return.

• pg says:

Mara never b*tched about sitting in the press box. Get him!

• neumann103 says:

I liked what I saw of St Denis in (i think) the penultimate pre-season game. I was unfamiliar with all the numbers but was immediately looking him up.

Not happy about D dropping like flies but I thnk Diaz is ready, Yemelin wiil be with a few weeks more experience, Weber is maligned out of proportion.

The kids are alright

“Et le but!”

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…more than anything else …I hope Our Fans recognize the courage and fortitude of Our Team
    …granted, Winnipeg is likely not a playoff team this year …but, I think Players like Weber, Enquist, Emelin, Diaz and others have an excellent opportunity to ‘step-up’
    …tonight, indicates They may well can …without having to barter future draft-choices or spend more of what’s left of Our cap

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’ve noticed this trend over the last 2 seasons, call-ups and now players new to the league are proving (knock on wood) to be effective. I have a bit of a thing for what Diaz developing into, he might have some kinks to work out, but he’s making smart decisions with the puck

39. diehardhab says:

If eller is back why not try DD-Pleky-Cole? Could be interesting no?

The torch be yours to hold it high!

40. Trisomy 21 says:

I’m guessing by Martin’s recent fascination with DD, that he will be seeing some more minutes with Cammy out of the line up. I hope Cole just needs more ice time to be effective

41. mike3131 says:

Why couldn’t we have scored just 2 goals this afternoon and 3 goals on Thursday night?

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight; It’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

42. Stev.R says:

Most, if not all, of our injuries occur in freak incidents and not when they get hit.

43. savethepuck says:

IMO, someone seeing what he wants to see, because I didn’t see that tonight

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

44. Jordio-oh says:

Give it up already!

Your resistant to just let go and admit that the Habs were right in taking Price 5th overall in 2005 and they were right in keeping him over Halak is becoming a stale joke.

Enjoy Carey and being proven wrong for the next decade. I know the rest of us will.

45. punkster says:

Could you post the link to the GA and TA stats please. I can’t dig that up on nhl.com. Thanks.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

46. Gomez had 2 giveaways tonight, and one takeaway. Not ideal, but he also set up two plays that on most nights would be guaranteed goals, played solid for nearly 19 minutes and finished +2. That’s hardly a bad night.

47. Jordio-oh says:

According to these stats, Gomez has two giveaways in two games this season. Same as Cammy and Patches.

48. showey47 says:

never mind,somebody else posted it already.

49. showey47 says:

no kidding,gio had a couple of what should have been tap-ins that he flubbed.

50. punkster says:

Thanks. So given that PK has 4 already I guess we should dump him too.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

51. Hopefully he finds his rhythm soon, that line could be dynamic.

52. savethepuck says:

I saw the first 2, but maybe I’m just a stupid homer.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

53. caladin says:

I saw some ugly giveaways from Gomer, but also some nice work. His quick pass that gionta missed was pretty slick.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

54. savethepuck says:

St Halak gave up 4 goals on less than 20 shots to help the Blues lose 4-2 last night

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

55. Colomb27 says:

“Goaltenders become available far more often than a #1 centre or stud defenseman”..

What kind of goaltenders? I don’t think you understand how important a franchise goalie is to a team and how difficult it is to find one.

Look no further than this pro hockey cliche phrase, “you build a team from the net out”.

56. Trisomy 21 says:

With that same crystal ball, you could generate a stanley cup team in about 2 years. Why has nobody else tried this, it’s a great idea!

57. Beaco says:

Not trying to start anything other than a conversation here. Who in Price’s draft year, that was available and was picked after him, would you take instead? Kopitar? He’s really the only player at this point that I see entering the debate. I really like Price but at the time I was frustrated because I wanted Kopitar. As it stands now I don’t believe I would trade Price straight up for Kopitar and I still really like Kopitar. Marc Staal is a serious talent but again, one for one I don’t trade Price.
    As I said, just asking a friendly question. Tensions have run high here of late and just want you to know I’m not looking to scrap, just talk. :)

58. Roger Ramjet says:

“He could have taken Bryzkalov off waivers from Anaheim a couple of years later. He could have signed Thomas as a free agent. He could have kept Halak.”

yeah……and if my grandmother had b@lls, she could have been my grandfather.

59. Colomb27 says:

Gomez had a good 5 turnovers and looks exactly like he did last year

60. Mark C says:

Perhaps you should log a complaint with the NHL, because that’s not what their official scorer saw.

61. Losing the puck isn’t a giveaway. Pretty sure it has to be a pass that’s picked off or poorly made. Bottom line is that if you put the same amount of scrutiny on most players you would end up with similar complaints. Gomez has been good.

62. ZepFan2 says:

“I know because I posted it each time he did it.”

Wow, talk about obsessed.

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

63. caladin says:

Spacek was a hit, campoli and cammaleri were not

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

64. caladin says:

No slower than Gill? Gill is one of the slowest skaters in the NHL. He gets away with it (mostly) because he’s Huge, very savy and very very cautious, and because he plays with very fast partners who can cover for him when he’s burned.
    I love Gill, but Henry is too slow.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

65. PureGuava says:

Patrick Lalime had 39 wins playing in Martin’s “system”….just sayin.

66. Danno says:

“All your base are belong to us”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

67. PureGuava says:

Um…Thomas and Bryzgalof were being given away at the time that this pick was being made. I love Price, and think that both he and Halak are great goalies…But I would never use a lottery pick for a goalie. Never.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

68. PureGuava says:

Agreed. One good play does not erase two bad ones…or a 7.4 million dollar boner.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson