About this afternoon … with audio

PriceLA
It was a revelatory day in L.A.
We learned the Montreal Canadiens have not quit on their coach.
We learned Andrei Markov won’t be in the lineup until Christmas … if then.

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Carey Price I and II | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Louis Leblanc | Lars Eller

The Canadiens left Los Angeles at 7:30 Montreal time. Their charter will touch down at Trudeau Airport at 12:35.

It’s going to be a very happy flight.

Can they fit this much good news into five hours?

• Fresh off playing 27 minutes in San Jose, Raphael Diaz played 24:21 in L.A. He made good decisions, impeccable first passes and blocked two shots. Very heady hockey player. If/when Markov, Jaro Spacek and Chris Campoli return, Diaz is playing himself into the discussion.

• Joining Diaz in that discussion: Alexei Emelin. He’s the most physical  defenceman on this team … which is kinda like being the Republican Party’s resident intellectual.

• Mike Cammalleri – who was in a funk through the first quarter of the season – has found happiness with David Desharnais and Erik Cole. Once again, they were the Canadiens’ best line. DD skated around and through the California redwoods in San Jose and L.A. Cole took two penalties but had six of the Canadiens’ 27 shots on goal.

• The power-play finally scored. More importantly, the man-advantage units displayed patience and calm. Liberated from point duty for which he was manifestly ill-suited, Tomas Plekanec is a happy PP camper, playing the Alex Kovalev Memorial position on the right-side half boards.

• Josh Gorges played 26 minutes, including 5 on the PP and 6:43 shorthanded. The guy is a stud … and the Canadiens let his contract expire July 1, Gorges’ heart, guts and smarts will be rewarded by someone who recognizes leadership.

• L’s Angels: Eller and LL. They set the table brilliantly for Andrei Kostistyn’s goal, and Louis Leblanc collected the first of what will be many NHL points. So what happens when Max Pacioretty rejoins practice on Monday? Who goes to Hamilton, LL or Aaron Palushaj? Nice problem for Mr. Pierre Gauthier. They’ve got to give the kid a start at the Bell Centre, no?

• Carey Price … ah, what’s to say? So good, all the time. Should he have started in Anaheim?

• Hal Gill, who blocked a mind-blowing 11 shots in San Jose, added four against the Kings.

• Pleks took 29 faceoffs and won 15 of them. He also had four SoG and meshed well with Brian Gionta and the man of every line, Travis Moen.

And save a kind word or two for Jacques Martin.

For all the roasting he gets in certain precincts of the media, JM’s guys play very hard for him.

The bottom line: Neither Toe Blake nor Scotty Bowman could get much more out of this lineup.

Name one player playing at anything less than his potential.

Yannick Weber, who played 50 seconds at even-strength and may be on his way to becoming Mark Streit Lite somewhere else when the D corps is healhty?

Scott Gomez? He’d suck for Dick Irvin.

Let’s be realistic: This ain’t the 1976 Montreal Canadiens.

As 2012 looms, the team faces a tough December: five of the next six at home, then six on the road, including a back-to-back in Chicago and Winnipeg and a post-Christmas trip to Florida … where Mr. Markov has gone on ahead to scout orthopedic clinics

But the team – minus Max-Pac and Markov –  is 1-0-1 for the month.

Ho-ho-ho!

1. Clay says:

Re Boone’s comment: ‘Price… Should he have started in Anaheim?’

No, he shouldn’t have. The back-up goalie is there to give Price a rest. If he can’t start against the 29th team in the league, then when do we start him? If we can’t have confidence in him in that situation, then we need a different back-up (we could have had Biron for cheap, as I recall).
    Besides, the whole team played poorly in that game…

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• slychard says:

Sure did…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• neumann103 says:

I thought Budaj was fine in Anaheim. That meltdown not his fault.

But Biron was the obvious and cheaper choice when the Habs signed Auld. The Rangers signed him for two years averaging $875K. Less than either Auld or Budaj.

Biron is a UFA in July.

“Et le but!”

2. LA Loyalist says:

Night, night all. Nice to sleep on a win.

Unforgettable? I think you meant “unforgivable”, Milbury. What a moron.

4. LA Loyalist says:

I could not attend the game as my kid was playing at the Kings’ practice rink concurrently (with only 8 kids showing up, their goalie at a baseball playoff game) stuck with a rent-a-goalie getting slaughtered 9-0) — so we were happy with the Habs win and going .500 on the road. Especially as historically we are terrible in afternoon games.

Friends said that there were a TON of Habs jerseys at Staples, and sometimes the Habs fans were louder than the Kings’ fans. :-) which is consistent with my memories from 2 years ago when Domenic Moore scored a terrific goal.

To celebrate, I am having a pate de campagne and baguette from Bouchon (Thomas Keller’s joint here) and a 2004 Pagode de Cos (St. Estephe) a 2nd growth from a forgotten year (easy to be forgotten when you are sandwiched between the 03 and 05 Bordeaux :-).

Pretending it is the Spring of 1986 and Sunday night at L’Express and I’m sitting at the bar drinking Cuvee Hier Soir and eating cold roast beef with cornichon and nothing else matters because our team is on fire.

I was inspired by the description below of Spanish wine and a duck / quail dinner – yum!! There are some damn fine Spanish wines if you can find them.

My only comment on the above article is the suggestion that Price might have faired better against Ducks. I don’t think so, Buddah could not be blamed for any of the goals, we broke down in front of him more than a stolen wrent-a-wreck. I think he is a fine back up for Price, technically sound, reads the chaos pretty well.

More disconcerting is the new on Markov.

It is tempting to blame PG (and I argued vociferously all summer to keep Wiz and trade him at the deadline if Markov was ok) but we should have had Campoli (anyone know when he is due back?).

But one can’t really forecast that much bad luck or one would not get out of bed in the morning, so I think we have to cut PG some slack on this particular situation. I’m sure he felt we were fairly redundant on D.

If fate is we roll with the kids, then make it so. Props to LeBlanc on his first point. His parents must be over the moon.

Give them the minutes and let it bleed. Send Gomez out to get beer and wash the rookie’s cars. A top ten draft pick, dumping Gomer and JM, and we would suddenly look serious.

I’ll tell you one can do worse than to buy a 2nd growth in an off-year from a top chateau. They don’t miss too many tricks and you’ll save some money.

That said, I’ve not been in a Regie since the ice storm of 98 (?) when the Ritz-Carlton was running on candles and you couldn’t walk past the Musee on Sherbrooke because of the giant icicles threatening to fall and impale anyone below.

I nearly bought a TinTin watch, in the Musee, but somehow hesitated.

Hope the movie is good, a friend of mine is one of the producers and last time I saw him I thought he was about to die from stress.

My kid actually has better wine than I do. Six cases of 1st growth 03 and 05 Bordeaux and Burgundies, in storage.

Hopefully he’ll share it with me in another 12 or 13 years.

He is very funny. If he catches us drinking an 03 (his birth year) he asks if it is “his” wine, quite indignantly.

A gutsy win. They are not happy here in LA.

My kid played like Saku today, in a very ugly loss.

The other team’s best player, who is a year older and a beautiful skater, would not bring the puck up my boy’s side of the ice. He kept passing it laterally.

And tomorrow morning we will try again.

The Zamboni will clean the ice, and everything bad will be forgotten.

5. Habziefan09 says:

Booner, you really need to share whatever you are smoking… A team can still win having given up on their coach… Call it personal pride, cause that is what I saw in that effort today.
    ____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

6. mfDx says:

If i were Max Pacioretty, I would completely destroy the next goalie who leaves his crease to play the puck (clean hit, of course)
    The message to Shanny would be clear “that type of contact will now be tolerated”

7. RS says:

Kristo scored a nice goal. Has an assist too.

8. Jim Edson says:

Tootoo’s hit on Millar will no doubt warrant a serious suspension!

Why because he doesn’t play for Boston and have a get out jail free card tattooed on his butt supplied by Jeremy Jacobs/Buttman.

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

9. TheMock780 says:

Don’t know exactly what happened but judging by the box score in the London/Owen Sound game it looks like Tinordi started a line brawl to protect a teammate tonight. I seriously hope that he can be what Komisarek was supposed to be (before Lucic neutered him)

• RS says:

It’s available on hockeyfights.com. Tinordi isn’t really much of a fighter (like Komisarek).

• LA Loyalist says:

Larry Robinson wasn’t much of a “fighter” in the classic sense, but he got the job done.

I have to say that Gill, for all his size, is softer than Mr. Stay Puff. Though one has to give him credit for the shot blocking. It’s weird, if one is tough enough to block shots, you’d think they’d be more physical in the game…

• TheMock780 says:

As long as he can hold his own and defend his teammates I’m ok with that. I wouldn’t expect him to be able t0 beat guys like Lucic or Chara. From what I’ve seen, simply put, Tinordi isn’t a vicious fighter. Lucic is a nasty, vicious, ruthless fighter and there isn’t a guy his size in the league that can beat him up. He’s a one of a kind player. Same with Chara. All I ask is that Tinordi rises to the challenge to protect his teammates, not slay the dragon’s

• Trisomy 21 says:

Are you a Bruins fan?
          I ask because to say that about Lucic is BS and sounds like a homer thing to say.
          Look up Lucic vs Orr on Youtube and don’t forget that Lucic backed away from Laraque’s challenge. He’s tough against guys he’s bigger than

• slychard says:

Yes BUT! Lucic has made mincemeat of Komy and he hasn’t been the same since. Bottom line though is, I find him to be a selective puss. That he is.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Duracell3 says:

There is no one the size of Desharnais that can beat up Desharnais either. I hear Lucic is pretty good against goalies though.

10. matt jordan says:

HNIC crew is laughing at Dipietro because he got hurt again…
    PJ Stock: “Who drafted that guy?”
    Ron Maclean “…..ouch”
    Milbury “………………”

11. Gerry H says:

Just saw the Tootoo hit on Miller. That one is on Shanahan.

I look forward to seeing how they justify suspending Tootoo after giving Lucic a pass.

• matt jordan says:

ha. excellent point.

If there is a hearing i recommend Tootoo wear a Lucic or Chara jersey to trick the NHL head office so Tootoo can get a pass.

• Curtis O Habs says:

The CBC all over the Tootoo hit, but no replay of the Penner run on Price. Shanny should take a look at the Penner hit.

• otter649 says:

Miller was in the crease this time & not out of his net but wait see…..

• neumann103 says:

I heard that Miller was pretty sanguine about it in post game comments. Obviously pissed off but at least the kind of play you expect in a hockey game with guys driving to the net. Not like an open ice mugging away from the play with a good thirty feet to stop and lots of ope ice to either side to divert.

“Et le but!”

12. Feraco says:

So what happens? Can this team truly sign Gorges, Ak, Price and PK?

• The Juice says:

AK walks, Gomez in minors, the other 3 are must signs…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Jim Edson says:

You forgot Spacek and his 3.8 mill is shown the door!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• slychard says:

God I hope AK don’t walk, like the player.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• malmn says:

Take a chill pill. It’s December 2011. There are more important things for the Canadiens to tackle right now, plus these things only need to be resolved in 6 months. Lots of time.

GO HABS GO!!!

13. JF says:

There were a lot of reasons for optimism about this afternoon’s game, apart from the win itself (not to mention our fleeting tenancy of 8th place). The powerplay looked good, even very good at times. We gained the zone easily, we moved the puck well, we created chances, and the whole thing looked less static, less mechanical than it has lately.

The Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc and Desharnais-Cole-Cammalleri lines were both excellent. Great puck control, creative passing, dangerous scoring chances. Bernier had to make some very good saves, otherwise we would have had a couple more.

I can’t understand why Kostitsyn doesn’t get more credit around here. He’s been mostly excellent all season and more consistent than usual, yet people still talk about not re-signing him. How do they imagine we’d get a replacement with his tank-like build and laser of a shot without paying a lot more than he earns?

What happens when Pacioretti comes back? Louis Leblanc looks very promising and certainly meshed well with Eller and Kostitsyn. I think he’ll have a spot in the lineup sooner rather than later, but he’s probably not quite ready yet. But perhaps JM will let him have a game in Montreal before dispatching him to Hamilton. I would guess Moen will take his spot, while Patch joins Plekanec and Gionta. That should give us three dangerous lines.

I haven’t talked about Raphael Diaz in a while, but I’ve liked this kid from the beginning and resented the sneers and the Swiss cheese epithet that have been flung at him. Sometimes I think all people can see are hits. If a defenceman hits, he’s good; if he doesn’t, he’s soft. Diaz is not overly large and certainly not physical, but he does so much else that’s good, like reading the play well and making great outlet passes. He might be earning himself a spot even when (or if) Markov and Campoli come back.

Emelin is also getting to be good. In fact, our defence looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of the year, so perhaps the fact that the team was forced because of injuries to rely on such an inexperienced defence corps will eventually turn out to have been a good thing. The guys are getting valuable experience and learning on the job; and, despite mistakes and the occasional game where nothing works, they’re improving.

At the moment I actually feel cautiously hopeful about the team. If we could just string together a few wins, we might be OK. The Conference is so tight that it might take fewer points than last year to make the playoffs – a bit like the previous year, when there were a lot of teams bunched together in the middle.

• Jim Edson says:

What happens when Pacioretty returns and what should happen when he returns are two completely different things.

Darche should be escorted to the pressbox but we all know that will never happen!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t think anyone is advocating not re-signing Andrei. We have two camps, one which thinks he’s a great player who should be resigned, and another which thinks he’s talented but temperamental and inconsistent and unreliable, and should therefore be traded to someone making a run for the Cup later this season.

I’m in the latter camp, I just hope he keeps producing so his value is high at the deadline.

We have seen enough of Andrei to know who he is, let’s not get carried away when he is on a good streak.

• HabCez says:

I’m with you with AK.. i love the guy.. he is a finisher.(with body checks and pucks in the net) and someone who isn’t scared of Lucic or Chara is good on my books..

Diaz on the other hand i think ppl feel he has been treated differently then say Emelin.. when Diaz made a mistake.. he didnt get benched.. when Emelin made a mistake.. he got benched..
      that being said..
      i think Diaz is more defensively sound then weber or st.denis (or Spacek for that matter) and a lot smarter with the puck.. but he does tend to get rid of the puck rather quickly when he senses someone coming..
      which leads to a turnover and then all hell breaks lose in our end..

i also think he is better fit on the PP then Weber

psst.. i dont want to say this cause this might upset JG fans..
      but Diaz in a few years experience and a lil more muscle might be the next JG :D

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
      – HabCez

• slychard says:

Resign AK, keep LL (like his spunk) send down whatever his name is…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

14. habsfanforever7631 says:

Finally a win! Loved it!
    Man, we play great against better teams, and we play like we’re a sleep against teams that suck.
    Is it only me, or did anyone elce notice Price and Subban yelling at each other in the Tomas Plekanec interview?

15. Tis Himself says:

As other alter egos have said at various times, the NHL regular season is an 82-game house league. The key is to make the playoffs with some decent momentum and a kickass goalie backstopping your squad. Hockey ain’t baseball!

• punkster says:

Astute and rational comment.

WTF?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Tis Himself says:

A six of Sam Adams double bock 9.5% apv. Always the right decision!

Have to love a beer called Sam Adams that has a famous portrait of Paul Revere on the label!

• HardHabits says:

Enough to cloud your reasoning it seems. Yes going into the play-offs and earning the final play-off spot is better when you were at 12th in the Conference to begin the new year than entering them at 8th when you were 4th for the yuletide.

The plain and simple fact is since the Conference format was introduced every team that won the Cup was top 10 over-all and all but 3 were top 5.

Then again all I had was one glass of Spanish wine with my canard confit and quail entree.

• Tis Himself says:

One post, one donkey goal, a coach that could have had his team prepared for Game 3 of the first round last year and the Bruins would never have won the Cup. Steve Smith takes his time coming out of his own end and makes a Breezer-like outlet pass and ’86 never happens. As Emile Francis once said, “Hockey is a slippery game. It’s played on ice.”

• HardHabits says:

I’ll never forget the camera shot of Demers watching the Islanders eliminate the Penguins in ’93.

• slychard says:

I would never drink a beer from the enemy, Sam Adams, but I’m drinking a six of Yuengling so I’m not one to talk…cheers!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

Montreal held onto their play-off berth tonight as well as they hold onto a lead.

• Muckbringer says:

in case anyone thinks ive been serious, you should know that i think its all bantha fodder until febuary. im gonna game ps3 muck. anyone else in? 5 min till i say skyrim

17. twocents says:

Parity has never been paritier.

There’s not a single powerhouse in this league.

If Crosby stays healthy, the Pens could morph into one, but right now there ain’t a one.

• Muckbringer says:

who won leafs/arsesharts game?

i hope they paid for puting in rhymer, but then again….
      did anyone make it out alive?

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.

Nelson Mandela

• HardHabits says:

WTF are you talking about.

Boston is a major powerhouse. They look good enough to repeat. What’s worse is they also look like a team that will be elite for years to come.

• Tis Himself says:

They are a powerhouse thanks to Brian Burke, but for some ridiculous reason the Habs play well against them. Why they generally blow donuts against the Flyers in the playoffs, I can’t figure out.

• twocents says:

I know they got the makin’s, but they have to keep winning to prove it.

I don’t think they’ve had a single injury this season either. The law of averages will catch up sooner or later and we’ll see how they deal with it.

• HardHabits says:

They are on a sick point streak. There goal differential is off the charts. They have Tyler Seguin. Dougie Hamilton in the system. I always like Julien as a coach. He’s only won at every level he’s coached. Unreal physical dimension and loaded with talent.

Philly, Pittsburgh and Rangers are all very good as well. The parity in the league is perceptual because of 3 point games making things look close. Don’t be fooled. The top 10 teams in the league are a cut above the rest.

There is no law of averages in sports. Skill and talent trump luck.

• twocents says:

Ha, no law of averages, that’s a good one.
            Are you suggesting they’ll go without injury all year? Cause that’s what my law of averages point was about.

As for their point streak, sure they are hot, super hot, but to really separate themselves, they’ll have to keep it up. They had a crap start, they are not infallible.

As for three point games, they do distort things. But, teams have still pulled away in the past few years. The bruins have yet to. When they do I’ll give them their do.

They could be on the verge of a poor streak for all we know. Their D is susceptible. If Chara misses a long stretch the whole team is different. Amazing group of forwards though.

But, things change quickly in sports. And, as for your last point the history of the league has many examples of very skilled teams that could not get the job done. New York alone presents many examples. Have you not paid attention to what’s transpired in Washington the last 3 or 4 years?

• HardHabits says:

My apologies Eric. I just hear too much about regressing to the mean and I get an instant reflex now talk of luck or law of averages. Yes the Bruins could sustain injuries. That isn’t my point. Mine is that they look extremely good. They made a serious recovery from their Stanley Cup hangover. Now they look ready to earn another future binge. I don’t particularly like saying it but that is my perception. This year Boston, Philly and Pittsburgh look like top 5 teams over-all. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those 3 teams will be the Eastern Conference winner and SCF entry. The Rangers are a dark horse but I still think they are too green yet. Soon though. That club is looking very well built IMO as well.

If the Habs make the play-offs they will be below the standings with respect to the 3 teams I mentioned, unless they have a Jacques Lemairian turn-around, which would likely mean having to face two if not three of those teams to make it out of the Conference. A daunting task to say the least.

Parity exists in the league that on any given night any team can beat any other team.

A seven game series is a totally other thing altogether and have the 4 to 3 home ice advantage is huge.

Washington I think is an example of Ovechkin’s work ethic or lack thereof. He is an ubertalent that has let his self indulgence ruin his output. He’s poison now and possibly needs to be traded for that team to succeed. Maybe at the very least take away his captaincy.

Scotty Bowman would straighten him out. Put him behind that bench I think they contend for the Cup.

• savethepuck says:

i was checking NHL injury reports 2 days ago. The only injured player they have listed is Savard. It helps not to have to keep calling guys up to fill spots.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

Never mind calling guys up, they actually sent down Jordan Caron. Meanwhile we’ve been messing with Aaron Palushaj and Andreas Engqvist. How good would Jordan Caron look on our third line right now?

• Everlasting1 says:

Powerhouses: Boston, Pitts, Det, Chicago.

——————————————————————-
      Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

18. savethepuck says:

Went out with my family to dinner for my mother’s 74th birthday and missed the game. It was a long 6 hours, but I managed to avoid any TV’s sport tickers so i could watch the game on RDS Express not knowing the outcome. Glad I did it, it was a great game. Carey looked great, was really impressed with Tits tonight too. Team’s tied for 8th although with some more games played than others. Finished off the California trip very well, now I have to find something to do until Tuesday.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

19. otter649 says:

How bad are The Islanders ? Take out The Stars tonight & get 7 out of 8 points on their current road trip – That Thanksgiving stat with teams in or out of the playoff race will be put to the test this season for sure…..

• savethepuck says:

And the mighty Leafs that everyone keeps praising on here are 5-7-1 in their last 13 after going 9-3-1 in their first 13. Season’s still very young, a lot of things will change.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

20. Muckbringer says:

forgive me for posting this but it is point positive of americans who steal our workers

why do american sports sound like peeler djs?

let it play through!

21. crazyhabsfan says:

Predictions for the Columbus game? I’m scared to even think about it… At home against a Shi**y team, could be bad…?
    JM needs to find a way to fire the boys up against the weaker teams..

22. LL says:

I don’t blame Miller at all. Wonder if Tootoo will be suspended? Hmmm. Great game today, too bad MaxP wasn’t playing.
    But Lucic hasn’t missed a game. ;)

• Muckbringer says:

WWNHL?

Nelson Mandela

23. crazyhabsfan says:

HAAA I totally noticed that too… and mentioned it to the wife (who is a brain-washed Boston fan…F$@* ME) She couldn’t seem to figure out why I laughed at it… ya, Boston Red Sox she says…LOL.
    That’s what I have to deal with.. An in-law family of Bruins-mentality (don’t tell her I said that)

24. TOP DAWG says:

Markov will never be Markov again

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

25. Muckbringer says:

so i watched the first two earlier but had to go for work xmas dinner. just finished watching the in the hour version and know we held on. im not gonna say anything about the team, more so the league.
    1) MORE CONSTINSTANCY
    2) INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS (ice size mostly)
    3) COLE IS RESIGNED

4)GO HABS GO!!!!

26. FormalWare says:

Lar!

Zeller!

(That is all.)

If Eller were pronounced “Ell-ay”, Larry would be #2 with a bullet!

27. vince8_31 says:

still feels like a loss, they stink.

28. TOP DAWG says:

WTF do the Habs do nothing when Price is run?

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

29. ed lopaz says:

so with Patrick Roy’s Remparts up 4-2 vs Halifax, and Louis Domingue in nets for Quebec (Louis Leblanc’s goalie in Midget AAA) and an NHL draft pick, Junior Canada invitee,

Nathan Mackinnon decided to end the game by himself, by scoring 4 unanswered goals (5 goals for the game) leading Halifax to a 6-4 win over a very good Remparts team.

Mackinnon just turned 16 in September, as you know, but whoever gets him in 2013 is getting a Stamkos, Crosby like impact on their franchise immediately.

Mackinnon is probably (edit – possibly) the best junior player in the country right now!

And he wasn’t even invited to the Canada Junior try outs.

Wake up Canada!!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Only 5 players in history have made Team Canada as a 16-year old. They do have a pretty heavy preference for 19-year olds at the show so it’s not surprising.

Although reversing this decision wouldn’t be a bad move. But at the same time, there will be many more Tournaments and they don’t define everything. Logan Couture never had a Junior Tournament invite, he’s better than just about anyone from his draft class that did save Patrick Kane.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Stamkos isn’t “Crosby like”.

• Mark C says:

So Roy can’t hold a 2 goal lead, and a 16-year old does his team in no less. Guess we can scratch him off the JM replacement list.

• ed lopaz says:

Roy will leave the Remparts if and only if he takes over as coach or GM of the Quebec NHL franchise.

He is like the King of Quebec City in his position right now,

There is no reason for him to take the habs coaching job,

it will never happen unless the Quebec NHL franchise idea dies completely

30. Marc10 says:

Looks like Cams rose to the challenge and had something to prove filling in for Patches… The last two games have been his best since the playoffs and it’s about time!

Maybe that’s the ticket. Keep moving vets between the kids who are getting it done so they stay on their toes.

Congrats to Louis on his first point. He didn’t look out of place out there.

31. DorvalTony says:

Is Boone a draft dodger like Todd?

• SeriousFan09 says:

Boone is in trouble because he mocks a field of Republican candidates who can’t remember their campaign platforms, make up science, can’t keep their hands off of women, or abandon their dying wives?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• ed lopaz says:

hands off women is a good one!!

Clinton was given head at his desk in the oval office.

sorry Serious – I appreciate your hockey knowledge – but Boone should stay clear of politicking on HIO.

Democrats are no freakin smarter than Republicans, and I can make a decent argument about the Canadian Liberals not being too clever as a group either.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Republican field is an embarrassment.

Rick Perry can’t remember his own campaign platform, or the legal voting age in the US, so he is disqualified for being an idiot, a pretty face who is just a front.

Herman Cain can’t remember his own position on how the US should respond to the Lybian situation, he needs to take a literal minute to come up with it. He’s obviously not conversant on the issue, if he does have a position it’s one he’s been coached into. He’s a one trick pony unfit to fulfill a complex role.

Rick Santorum is a religious extremist and crackpot who chooses hocus-pocus over logic and science.

Newt Gingrich is an amoral corporate whore.

Mitt Romney is a man so desperate to gain the prize that he is selling out any personal or political conviction in order to say nothing and not offend the Tea Party zealots.

• Da Hema says:

Nicely summarized.

The problem with the US Republican Party is that it has been co-opted by two radical social movements whose views are more consistent with the 18th rather than the 21st century: the Religious Right and the Tea Party movements. The Religious Right believes a secular, pluralistic society can be compelled to adopt fundamentalist Christian values. Good luck there. The Tea Party movement believes the solution to social coordination in the 21st century is to return to a post-feudal economic system. Good luck there again. It is sad to see a storied political party get captured in the manner it has.

• HardHabits says:

Ron Paul is only voice of reason among the bunch and he’s an old crack pot.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

After a hit to the head on his teammate, Jarred Tinordi took exception, 5 for fighting + instigator tonight. Had an assist and was +2 in a 5-3 win for London. Will keep an eye for the video.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

33. HabCez says:

I can watch the LL/Eller/AK Tic-Tac-Tic-Toe play all day..
    it just brings back old memories..
    and that Price save on a bad rebound on the boards..
    those type of saves can really kick start a goalie’s mojo..

Yes.. im enjoying the moments

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
    – HabCez

34. tbovs says:

In other news…the last 5 games Kessel hasn’t scored…2 pts…don’t hear much of that on TSN and how he has slowed down considerably. As well he only has 2 goals in his last 9 games. Did you hear that thud….that would be his arse landing back on earth.

35. Habsolutely says:

Habs win, Leafs lose? Oh hell ya baby!!

36. jimmy shaker says:

So Boone, you’re another one on here that thinks Price needs to play every game eh? I love it!

Shaker

37. Topham says:

Oh to get a positive review from his critics? What would AK have to do? Apparently more than set the PP stage and score the GW (again). He can’t even get these guys to spell his name right.

Topham
    Lions in Winter: http://www.lionsinwinter.ca

38. twilighthours says:

Oh, and Boone: a different coach could get a lot more out of Subban, gionta, and cammalleri.

39. habstrinifan says:

The victories dont even seem like victories anymore. And yes I expect all the kool-aid drinkers to pause from the hallelujahs and direct a accusatory cries of troll towards me.

Least next game we have Patches back.

40. twilighthours says:

Matt Jordan, thanks for that cole link. He’s on the downside now but he is the greatest of all time. Knew exactly how to make the big call or when to let the game/crowd do the talking. I always loved Harry neale too. Even though he’s a drunk and a leaf homer, he said few words – not like these color guys of today with their verbal diarrhea.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Harry Neale was very funny.

”I know my players don’t like my practises, but that’s OK because I don’t like their games.” – Harry Neale.

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

”Our system of forechecking is to shoot in the puck and leave it there.” – Harry Neale

41. BKAK72 says:

How many points do you think will be required to finish 8th in the East this year? My guess is 92 points.

If this guess is correct then the HABS must win 33 of the remaining 55 games … that’s doable.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

42. Al aboo says:

Edit: do was I…..twice

43. Al aboo says:

Never Trenton, not once

44. Al aboo says:

Never Trenton……not once

45. Al aboo says:

What does wii with the kids have to do with hockey, there pancake?

46. youngwun says:

When spacek is ready weber is out. Weber is terrible on d. We dont need him.

47. Al aboo says:

Smoker….u want a leaf jersey for christmas, you deplorable degenerate of fan?

48. matt jordan says:

The last team to beat the Bruins was the Habs.
    The rest of the league sucks.

When do the Habs play those chumps again, someone needs to put them in their place.

49. otter649 says:

Bruins Joe Corvo in his second career fight ? – Becomes one of the boys with a fight in The Leafs game……

50. Paulin98C says:

Nathan McKinnon scored 5 goals tonight for the mooseheads, winning 6-4.

This 16 year old will be going #1 in 2013… Worth being on HH’s tanking bandwagon for him for sure….

51. smiler2729 says:

Funny how the Habs are the ONLY FREAKIN’ TEAM that knows how to beat the Bruins…. too bad we suck vs. everybody else

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

52. deuce6 says:

Mike Richards didn’t play and we didn’t face Jonathan Quick…2-1?
    If it weren’t for Price, it would have been a different story…
    ——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

53. 21.273 says:

anybody watching the bad guys? bruins are brutalizing the leaf, spent something like 3 minutes in the attacking zone 5-on-5

54. HabsinLA says:

I have followed this site since its founding but never posted. Now I feel like I should post because I was there at our most recent win. ($30 for ice level tickets, that’s like parking, hot dog and a beer at the Bell)

I was hoping to see Markov and Leblanc today but I’ll settle with knowing that Leblanc will probably make it into the top 6 one day. Still I would like to see him in a few more games rather than have him sent down when Pacioretty comes back. Leblanc-Eller-AK46 will be our anti-smurf line.

Just when I thought JM was finally going to go, we were finally going to blow things up and join the Yakupov sweepstakes (After the Ducks game where we looked like crap), we play a game like today’s and give me hope that we were just underachieving. The Kings definitely outplayed us most of the game no doubt but this is a team with legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations, serious talents (Doughtey, Jack Johnson, Anze Kopitar, Richards to name a few). Our D is still shaky but I’m fairly happy with our forwards, they are a hardworking and more or less talented group.

Also, I don’t understand why people are so willing to trade AK46 for a bug of pucks. He does have his brain farts but he’s seriously talented, a goalscorer and makes that Eller line dangerous. Not many people can wire that puck like he does.

55. vic says:

Show me good coach and I will show you a good goal tender.
    Toronto sports.
    JM has been fortunate to have 1st halack and now Price.
    I hope Price stays healthy all year

• Actually it was JM’s system that made Mrs Walsh’s boy great for three weeks. Because of the amolunt of shots the Habs let on goal, and the lack of rebound control where Halack had to make extra saves.

There is a huge difference between Price and Halack. Ask the Blues right now.

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• jimmy shaker says:

Funny how you can’t give Halak any credit for what he did in that playoff run, all you can harp about is his rebound control. Carey’s let his fair share of greasy pucks out in prime scoring area’s as well. Give credit where it’s deserved. Carey played stellar tonight and was a big factor in the win tonight!

Shaker

56. Thurston says:

As an aside, anyone notice the goober in Boston who waved his Red Sox hat at the camera after the Bruins’ second goal? Did this guy not have any idea what hat he was wearing or does he not know the difference between hockey and baseball?

57. doogie says:

Question, who is the last Canadien to officially “retire” from the active roster?

58. Bill says:

The Habs played pretty well, some of them extremely well; but once again, the Habs don’t win this game without a stellar goaltending performance. That’s not really a good thing …

During the first period, it seemed like Price was the whole team. Making the saves and even clearing the pucks, making good first passes … his name must’ve been said about thirty times as much as anyone else’s in the first …

Not being negative, really just singing Price’s praises … but like everyone else I’d like to see the team win a few for him when he’s having an off night!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CanadienBoy says:

Brodeur got pull tonight is done but what a career now it is Price turn hopefully we start winning by more then 1 goal lead we don’t want to be the next boring Devils or do we

• Bob_Sacamano says:

If you only win at home against the Islanders because of an amazing Price, it´s not a good thing but if you beat the Kings in LA it´s a completely different thing.

• Castor says:

I completely agree.
      It’s the classic JM coaching. While he should be commended for the PK work his team does he still is the coach who needs his goaltender to be 1st or 2nd star of the night or his team simply doesn’t win.

59. Jacques Martin says:

OK so i hardly ever login and post my wisdom anymore but tonight i’ve had a little crown royal + coke-a cola….and so…..i must share my innermost feelings on habs play as of late. Good game today vs the Kings. Fitting that i am enjoying my crown royal aand les habitants were too and together we royally took it to the kings. And was it just me or did the kings especially 3rd period were whining like baby’s literally on the ice over non-calls.I think Stoll was imitating a whiny pouty baby cuz his stick snapped in half leading him to have a minor temper tandrom to near tears at the ref.WAHh WAHH wah…wheres the call?!LOL.Ain’t none!Who’s to say a king or any player for that matter dont comeout on the ice with a half cracked piece of lumber knowing at an opponents first hack/slash on it would break it hence a more than likely PP situation late in the third.But it didnt happen.Thankfully.I just found it funny how the kings and a few others were baby-like in their ice antics.Doughty’s stick slamming mad at ref. …..looking for a call.The kings deserved to lose this 1 …..fact of the matter was that in that game we owned them and outplayed them in every facet including not whining like the baby kings did.It was funny to watch …..
    but ……… …….but…..this years habs team sure is a weird mysterious schitzo phrenic like-type team.Too many erratic performances.Good ….bad ….horrible….fantastic….pee-wee like ……but always like an enigma.Well at leaast this season.

….you’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• Un Canadien errant says:

Blatant, obvious product placement. MODS, MODS!!!!

• Danno says:

If you’re going to mix whiskey with coke why buy the good stuff?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Da Hema says:

Really. Kids these days….

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Crown Royal’s the good stuff to peel paint with maybe. I feel bad for the coke i n that drink.

____________________________________________________
        They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• HardHabits says:

Glenlivet or Glenfiddich maybe. Single malt all the way. 12 years minimum.

Unless your going for a good old Canadian Rye Whiskey.

• citizenSanto says:

mmmnn, Glenfiddich goes down smooth. though i put one finger’s worth of water in mine

—————————————
          Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
          — Augustine of Hippo

• HardHabits says:

Scotch in water is the way to go. No ice. You really get the flavour of the whiskey that way. And you don’t get so scorched or ruined. Although I am prone to doing shooters as well but I have to agree in water is the way to go.

60. Everlasting1 says:

What a triumphant return..David Perron scores on his second shift!

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

61. roady says:

Cammalleri playing better the last couple games..uh… wonder why that would be ? Could it be a possibility DD has something to do with that ….coincidence maybe…just a thought, just wondering…
    take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

• CanadienBoy says:

DD is the reason ,got above avg.. vision and keep on getting better and make is wingers better by using them by passing to them at the right time something Gomez, blind past king doesn’t do anymore good for you DD

62. Rad says:

The fact that the Habs won a game is a good thing. The fact that Mr. Martin has gained another reprieve from his inevitable firing, is not such a good thing. IMO of course.

I said a Louie, Louia
    Oh, Oh, Oh, No
    Me gotta go.

• smiler2729 says:

C’mon man!

Hey I’m just as much on the fence about JM as anybody, so much so that my butt is creased.

But the fact remains, the Habs play for their coach as boring and out of touch as we think he is, we’ve been in two consecutive awesome playoff series.

The real goat is Gauthier.

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• CanadienBoy says:

Agree GM should go first made the right move last year by moving fast to get Wiz but screw it all up by not giving him a offer before the year end

• Danno says:

Mr. Martin may soon join Mr. Pearn followed by Mr. Gauthier and Mr. Gainey.

Or maybe not.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

63. Un Canadien errant says:

As a taxpayer and thus an owner of the CBC, can I add my voice to the clamour concerning the eroding skills of hockey play-by-play man Bob Cole? I haven’t been part of the campaign against this gentleman before, so I would consider myself relatively unbiased, but right at the outset of the game he drew my attention, by bungling and mangling the call repeatedly. These accumulated until I was paying attention more to his syntax than to the actual game. I think a play-by-play man should be judged like a referee, which means he usually excels when he isn’t noticed, aside from the occasional Al Michaels “Do you believe in miracles?!” moments. Mr. Cole, among other misses, said that “Carey Price stopped it with a bullet!” (?), mistook Raphaël Diaz for David Desharnais, and frequently would refer to someone as ‘the player’ or ‘the goalie’ when he couldn’t come up with their names.

There is great unrest and misery in the land. Unemployed peasants are storming capitals around the world. There is such a shortage of gainful employment that a multitude of completely unqualified or morally disqualified people are applying to the presidency of the USA. In such a climate, isn’t it time now, or at least at the end of the season, for Mr. Cole to step aside and allow a sprightly fifty-year-old go-getter to embark on a new career? There must be at least twenty qualified aspirants who could take over this role, which would dispense us from having to watch Mr. Cole desiccate into oblivion.

Another jarring moment in the Hockey Night telecast was having to hear hulking Matt Greene, skilled practitioner of the forearm shiver delivered to the back of the head of Frédéric St-Denis in the first period, speak during the intermission on the need to reduce dangerous hits in the NHL.

As far as the game itself, the win provides some relief to the undermanned, snakebitten, affirmation-seeking Canadiens. The Good Guys scored a couple of nifty goals, and missed and bungled on a few more opportunities, notably by Erik Cole and Mike Cammalleri, who both work hard and are creative but need to finish a little more than they are doing now. Mathieu Darche has no confidence and on a good opportunity he set up, waited for Jonathan Bernier to be good and ready, at which point he wristed the puck right into his chest pad. I’ve called for ‘intervention’ coaching recently for players such as Andrei Kostitsyn and P.K. Subban, where video is used to delve with the players on some of their decision-making. Mathieu needs to review this scoring chance with a coach and think about three other better options he could have explored rather than giving Mr. Bernier a straightforward shot.

The last three minutes of the game made me question the Canadiens’ strategy. It is fashionable for fans to lay the blame on the head coach for instances such as these, but I’m inclined to believe that the Canadiens’ lack of finish and poor results on the power play make them skittish when protecting the lead, and more intent in killing the clock than on scoring an insurance goal. We saw during the last two minutes, when the Glorieux were on the powerplay, how they weren’t grabbing the puck and rushing up the ice to give the Kings the coup de grâce and pad their individual stats, but instead scrambling and shambling and glancing up at the clock. We saw P.K. ice the puck while on the powerplay, and with a Kings empty net. This play occurred because they were lax in retrieving a Kings clearing attempt, which led to a good deal of buzzing in the Canadiens zone.

Maybe the big news of the day, which is that Andrei Markov’s knee will be scoped to clean out scar tissue and debris, requiring him to sit out at least another three weeks (a great decision by all, and good news, since it explains the swelling and soreness he has been experiencing) will point the Canadiens towards self-empowerment and self-reliance, instead of looking over their shoulders and waiting for reinforcements.

• deuce6 says:

He more than makes up for his blunders with an exciting voice..Take him for what he is…I happen to like Cole doing Habs games…I just can’t stand that Hughson fellow..That guy sounds like a news anchor..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• matt jordan says:

Yup, Bob Cole is awesome.
        A play-by play legend.

• Da Hema says:

Yes, Bob Cole is a legend. But how do you want to remember him? As that legend, or what he is now?

• matt jordan says:

I’ll remember Bob Cole for these:

He’ll always be a legend, and he’s still my favourite play by play man. With Hughson being CBC’s number one guy and following the Leafs, the best possible result happened, Bob Cole for the Canadiens games.

Go Habs and go Bob Cole

• Da Hema says:

Nice find Matt. I was hoping Cole’s call of Naslund’s 1984 [whoops! it was 1985] series-winning goal against the Bruins was on that collection. “Naslund to Tremblay. NASLUND…RIGHT IN…SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Still makes me shiver. This is why, in my view, Bob should gracefully step down now.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Take him for what he is” That’s how I see it. Bob Cole doesn’t know what’s going on half the time, but he’s fun to listen to. He’s bad in a lovable-old-man kind of way.

• Fred D says:

“Desicate into oblivion” __I loved it! Shades of Dorian Gray!

EACH HOCKEY SEASON IS THE SAME ONLY DIFFERENT!

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’m sure Bob Cole is a really nice guy, but for years, maybe always, he has had nothing to say about the game he’s doing..he’s always talking the numbers..the time left, the time played, the shots on net, the this, the that… sorry i’ve been eternally spoiled by Danny Gallivan…

• smiler2729 says:

C’mon man!

Bob Cole is freakin’ awesome! So what, he messes up some play-by-play but who cares? Aren’t you watching the game anyways?????

He is HNIC, he is the last bastion of the ol’ club that was Danny Gallivan and Dan Kelly and Howie Meeker and all that good stuff that made Saturday night at EIGHT o’clock so special.

Now that they’ve separated him from Leaf games and Harry Neale, he seems to be more a Habs fan than I ever noticed….

I like Sleeman’s Clear tonight…. just sayin’ is all.

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

He’s awe-full, not awesome.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In the second, he described an Erik Cole penalty as holding, whereas everyone in the rink and everyone at home saw him clearly slash the opponent’s stick and break it in half. This made me wonder about his eyesight. His analyst Gary Galley quickly jumped in and tactfully explained that it was in fact a slash, with video evidence to support this. Bob Cole then spent a minute explaining that the referee had made a holding gesture which is why he had been mislead. Awful stuff, which detracts from rather than augments the broadcast.

• habs-hampton says:

Cole is 78 years old. I know many civil servants that have been forced out at a much, much younger age.

Time’s up, JM must go!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was raised on René Lecavalier and Richard Garneau, so I don’t get the warm and fuzzies from hearing Bob Cole. In fact, his voice reminds me of times when the Canadiens weren’t playing and I had to watch Mike Palmateer pirouette his way to another loss. He might be a legend, but his abilities are fading, and he should retire quickly so he doesn’t damage the legend. Let’s give another golden throat a chance to become a legend.

• 21.273 says:

everything is happening!!

• ABHabsfan says:

The Bob Cole moment/brain-fart that I will always remember was during the gold medal game in the ’02 Olympics when he referred to “#66 for Canada” Uhh, that would be Mario there Bob. A lot of folks have heard of him

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Leblanc’s adaptable nature is a pleasure to see really. A perennial rookie, he never fails to adapt his game to whatever level of competition he faces. He puts on 12-15 pounds and he’s a player in the NHL, lacking muscle hurts him for sure but he doesn’t mind playing in the tough areas and he tracks the play very well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• habturner says:

He’s going to be a good one; can’t wait for him to mature & fill in with his body..

• Un Canadien errant says:

Louis was indeed a joy to watch, in stark contrast to Mr. Palooshaj and Mr. Engqvist.

Of course he needs to add size and strength to his frame, I think that’s axiomatic to any rookie or young player’s development. The kid is only twenty, he still has some growing and natural filling out to do.

It’s a comment we see made constantly on Hockey’s Future and other hockey sites, and not in football circles where players are in their early twenties before they’re considered for the NFL.

• CanadienBoy says:

Yes but he just got back from injury’s and probably get injured again but yes he putting Pulaj… in a bad spot

65. Arrow77 says:

“Name one player playing at anything less than his potential”.

Uh, is going back two games ago going back too far?

Overall, our top three forwards, Cammy, Pleks and Gionta aren’t having a very good year and some of Plekanec’s problems can be directly attributed to Martin’s decision to use him on the point for the power play. His stubbornness in that case is very similar to his refusal to use Erik Cole earlier this year.

As for the rest of the team, no one really disappoints but one of those three will have to really produce at some point. No, this isn’t the 1976 Canadiens but this is a playoff team and we wouldn’t be relying on our goalie so much if everyone was producing the way they should.

• Sharks9 says:

You know Pleks is leading the team in points, right?

25 before 14

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Ah come on, he is the team´s best forward, 5-5, 4-4, on the PK and he´s good on the PP too if he doesn´t have to play the point. But he´s not that important I guess…

• Arrow77 says:

Were you replying to him or to me? I don’t deny anything you said, I’m certainly not saying he’s not important, I’m just saying his productions is lower than it should be. I don’t want the team to trade him or anything.

• Bill says:

His production is above his career average I think … what more you want? I think he’s playing great and producing fine!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I was replying to you. Pleks has not produced much in the last two weeks but he had 20 points after 20 games and he´ll be putting up decent points again. When it comes to points, you´ll probably never see 80+ from him but there are players who get 10-20 points more and would overall contribute less than he does. When it comes to production the fact that he´s the team´s best pk player and that he averages more than 21 minutes per game hurt him also a little bit.

• Arrow77 says:

Yes, I am aware of that. Are you aware that it’s not much of an achievement?

I love Plekanec and I think the effort is there but 6 goals is quite not enough for him. He doesn’t fare as badly as the other two though, and a good streak could get him back on track.

• smiler2729 says:

Tommy Plakanack is not worth $5 million or whatever he makes.

Sure he seems like a nice guy but come on, man (bringing that NFL thang big time tonight), he is a 3rd line checking forward with a scoring touch at best. The man loses EVERY important faceoff and passes rather than shoots, etc…

Don’t get me started.
      ___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You´re hate for Pleks is unreal and it makes you look very, very, stupid. A player who´s among the 30 or 35 best scorers in this league is a 3rd line checking forward? Right and I don´t want to repeat what else he brings to this team. He´s worth every penny of his contract.

Don´t get me started. Btw, let me quote you: Real Hab fans know how to spell the players’ names.

• smiler2729 says:

Plackanack Plackanack Plackanack Pete Mackanin… go have a beer, Pleks is overrated POINT FINALE!

And by the way it’s “your hate…” not “you’re hate…”, type the King’s english for God’s or Pete’s sake.

Maudit qu’ue mange

___________________________________
          Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You´re right. That shouldn´t happen but I already had a few and your hate for Pleks is still unreal. Tomáš Plekanec that is. Btw English isn´t my first language while you´re probably stupid in whatever language you try to speak.

• Sharks9 says:

Yea, all he does is get lots of points and play well in almost every situation (Just not on the point on the PP). We should send him to the minors and promote Gomez, a real player!

25 before 14

66. Bob_Sacamano says:

As for the D: No matter who´s healthy, Emelin has to play and when Diaz is as good as today he definitely should be in, too. Not going to happen with JM but I´d rather scratch Gill. Maybe a little bit of rotation would do anyone good, not including Gorges and PK.

I want more praise for AK. I´m pretty sure we wouldn´t have won today in regulation without him.

• Le Jadester says:

Agreed. Not much love for AK around here. Especially from the media, including the writers here. He is one of the best players we have when it comes to “bang for your buck” IMO. He’s a pure Hab too ! Rarely gets the credit he deserves. Can’t understand why people want him out ? Ya he’s frustrating some times to watch and eff’s up here and there but no more than the other guys on the team making 4 million plus.

Habs, OLE !

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I think very few want him out at this point but he still deserves more credit. He really could be frustrating at times but he´s really improved and this season he´s a very consistent player. I think some have their problems with European players as they love to talk about North American grit and toughness. Yet AK had the most hits on the team last season and by far our most physical player right now is Emelin (who quite gets some love though)…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Le Jadester, people don’t necessarily want Andrei Kostitsyn ‘out’, but they do want him to bear down and work hard and produce to a degree equivalent with his talent. He’s having a good season so far, for which I’m happy, but I dread the day he goes into another funk. My plan for him is still that he continues to hit and score and smile, and we trade him at the deadline to a contender for a second-rounder or better.

• smiler2729 says:

Scratch Gill??? Are you serial?? Is he itchy???

C’MON, MAN!

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

67. 4m3y2j says:

Did anyone see that embarrassment to humanity,Mike Milbury,on HNIC roast PK for embellishment on that hit by that former flyer goon?
    Your government pays for that kind of dangerous editorializing ?
    He doesn’t even try to hide his hatred for the habs,so much for professionalism.

• Thurston says:

Mike Milbury was an average (at best) NHL player, a horrible general manager and a complete train wreck as an “analyst.”
      He’s not to be taken seriously.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not that I want to side with that imbecilic former Bruin, but unfortunately P.K. did embellish. One hint, and a figurative gathering of dark clouds in an otherwise sunny dressing room, was that the Canadiens skated off to the faceoff or bench before P.K. got up. They know him, and they knew what he was up to.

68. deuce6 says:

Josh Gorges was MY pick for the Captaincy, but alas, Gionta got it because of his nice “Ferrariness”. I love Gorges. He is one of my favorite players and I hope he one day retires with that crest on his chest.

He exempts what this team should be…A team that goes balls out to win….He is a born leader….

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

69. solomio says:

You know I saw Cammy on the ice with 4 minutes to go and said to myself “oh no “. Only JM. Cammy proceeded to get a penalty.
    Rule of thumb. With 4 minutes or less left in a game with a one goal lead do not put Cammy on the ice.
    Oh and Mr. Boone… no kind words for JM until he relaizes what his team is all about and how to use them.
    Although LL looks a little weak out there I would opt for his offensive capabilities and send Palushai for a bit.

Name one player not playing up to their potential? That would be a roll call. Lots.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• SuperYogurt says:

Cammy’s penalty was BS, he back-checked with a lot of intensity and made a great play. He barely touched the LA player.

• Da Hema says:

Vincent Damphousse was the worst Canadien I ever saw for taking unnecessary penalties. And they were usually really dirty and explicit cheap shots too — and it seemed like they were always near the end of the third period. He was better than that.

• Sharks9 says:

That was a bad call, Cammy was hustling hard there.

25 before 14

• chemic says:

even kopitar couldn`t believe it!

• solomio says:

The point is Cammy is a defensive liability and should not be put on the ice in that type of situation. There are other players better suited.
      Jeesh !!

70. VancouverHab says:

Dear Mr. Boone:

I appreciate the free vanilla ice cream, and your blogging adds greatly to my Habs game watching.

But does gratuitous (and, in must be admitted, peurile) political petulance add anything to the site (what you gain in bilious self-satisfaction you lose on dignity); and likewise for the attack out of nowhere on Scott Gomez–does the Gazette algorithm calculate that that is a hit generator, or did it just feel viciously good?

But again, my gratitude for your work here for us for free.
    Best,
    V.H.

• Da Hema says:

VancouverHab: I thought you might want to know I defended Don Cherry in the liveblog thread.

But how is Boone’s post politically petulant?

• VancouverHab says:

Well, O River Horse, I’ll go there directly — I can use some cheering up right now (aside from a great win of course ;–)

I’ll be right back…

• Da Hema says:

Ah, I see what offended you in Boone’s post.

You have to concede, my friend, that if the best policy prescription the Republican Party candidates can formulate is to electrify the border between the US and Mexico in order to fry as many Mexicans as the US power system can handle, then there may be a dearth of policy ideas in the party itself.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Maybe he enjoys the fact that you always pop up here when someone has a go against right wing idiots?

• HabFab says:

Death to Republicans!
      Free America!
      Stop the Insanity!
      Viva the Fourth American Revolution!

:) :) :) :)

Be Happy!

71. Laramy87 says:

Why does Martin dress 7 d and then have Weber and St. Denis play miniscule minutes. I would rather have Palushaj play the 4th line than Weber and St. Denis play d instead of Weber, basically sit Weber. Emelin can play the point on the PP

72. Da Hema says:

The Canadiens’ decision not to sign Gorges long-term is mystifying. They sign Markov to a long-term deal when he is injured, and whose injury was much more ominous, but not Gorges. This strikes me as incompetent management. I think Gauthier should get off his skinny ass, grab a pen and contract, and sign Josh tout suite.

• SeriousFan09 says:

If Gauthier can sit down and sign his prospects while their seasons are ongoing, he would do well to consider doing that with extending his veterans. Gorges deserves a good long term deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Da Hema says:

That is a good point Serious. You identified an administrative inconsistency within the Canadiens’ organization.

• HabFab says:

IMO Gauthier has to sign the Juniors at least before season’s end because of the number of contracts he has to deal with before July 1st.

• Da Hema says:

That may be true. But unless I am mistaken, hasn’t Gauthier continued Gainey’s practice of not signing players during the regular season? If so, then I believe that is what Serious considers a contradiction.

• HabFab says:

I believe their logic is that negotiating with the Hab players during the season is a distraction to the players game. A prospect is another story.
            Since the negotiating is generally done with the players agent, not so sure if I concur.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Absolutely and I´d be tempted to offer a new contract to Kostitsyn too.

• ffenliv says:

You know it’s a 2-way street, right? Gauthier can’t demand an agent negotiate with him. I imagine in a lot of cases agents/players don’t want to negotiate, counting on perhaps having a solid season, and getting more money at the end. Plus, if they wait until the end of the year, Gorges has all kinds of options.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Aware but the organization has historically not talked contract or worked hard to extend players during a season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Habby says:

Don’t they usually wait for the playoffs? It’s a balancing act, since if you wait that long it usually means you’ll end up coughing up more money but if your player ends up like Roberto Luongo I think it’s great to wait until the playoffs to see how he performs.

But as we might not even make the playoffs this year I think we should start now. New contracts for the holiday season make great presents!

The drive for 25 is alive!

• Arrow77 says:

I’m not worried about Gorges. It’s true that they should have signed him long term already but it’s not like the organization didn’t know how valuable he is.

I’m more worried about Kostitsyn. He improved considerably the last two seasons but he’s just not a Martin player.

73. VancouverHab says:

Dear Prophet:

Well, that’s it then. Your dialectical power, tolerant attitude, and lack of simplistic extremism makes your case entirely.

Ipse dixit….

74. matt jordan says:

I think they’re pretty good, i’ll be honest.
    They have the best defense, they’re the toughest, and the best goaltending tandem in the league..

I really want the Penguins to beat them on Monday . Badly, i hate Boston so much and it sucks that they keep winning

75. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t have the cultural background that most other posters have with respect to Bob Cole. I do know that René Lecavalier retired against his wishes and was mildly miffed, he felt he had a few good years left, but he had started to slip and some comedians had started to point it out. He retired gracefully, with a dauphin in the wings in the form of Richard Garneau. I can’t believe that the CBC doesn’t have a few candidates available who can do a better job, immediately, than Mr. Cole.

76. Da Hema says:

Ah yes. Denis Leary would never say anything offensive….

77. VancouverHab says:

Thanks, Nahlsy: I’ll remember for future uses.