About Sunday afternoon … (super-short Super Bowl edition)

160608086_slide

Unlike the evident selflessness and esprit de corps that have propelled your Montreal Canadiens into a 6-2 start that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE was expecting, the prevailing ethos at the modest suburban abode of the ol’ hockey blogger can be summed up in three words:
What about me?
So I will leave it to the Commentariat – brilliant hockey experts, every mother’s son and daughter – to pick over the stat sheet of a fifth straight home-ice win.
I’m banging out a few thoughts and then joining the rest of the civilized world, parked in front of our flat-screen TVs.

Here’s the game in a nutshell:

Ottawa, which had a day off on Saturday, dominated the third-period against a team playing their second game in as many afternoons.

As the Canadiens clung to the 2-1 lead Erik Cole had given them some 48 minutes earlier, Craig Anderson was on the bench as the Senators pressed for an equalizer.

Faceoff in the Canadiens zone. On the ice in red jerseys: Josh Gorges, Raphael Diaz, Erik Cole, David Desharnais and – wait for it – Lars Eller.

Yeah, the guy recently paroled from Michel Therrien’s doghouse.

Eller played 18 minutes against Buffalo and had a goal and two assists.

His reward? With Max Pacioretty miraculously back in the lineup, Eller was bumped down to the fourth line, centring Travis Moen and Colby Armstrong. His ToI against Ottawa was less than 11 minutes.

But there he was with the game on the line, as Therrien employed the old Scotty Bowman technique of using two centres for defensive-zone faceoffs.

This is a coach who gives players second chances. And Therrien talked to Ryan White before the game, pumping the fourth-liner’s tires and telling him he’s part of the plan.

And White will be needed.

Through their unexpectedly hot start, the Canadiens have avoided injury … save for the Max Pacioretty hangnail they expect us to believe was an appendectomy. The good health can’t last in this season’s crazily compressed schedule – there’s another back-to-back in midweek – and everyone will get some playing time.

Therrien was very adroit in protecting the one-goal lead. The coach moved Moen up to Rene Bourque’s spot on the Tomas Plekanec line late in the game. Brandon Prust played with Armstrong and Eller.

But with four minutes to go in the period, the coach had Bourque out with Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher – a nice vote of confidence in the Flying Freshmen.

If Therrien has screwed anything up so far this season, I haven’t noticed.

OK, maybe Carey Price should have started in Ottawa. Having bested Martin F. Brodeur and Ryan Miller, Price added Craig Anderson to the list of hot goaltenders he’s defeated. As has been the case in every game except the loss to Toronto and the win over Winnipeg, Price was lights-out against the Senators, stopping 32 shots and getting plenty of puck-clearing help from a six-man defence corps that didn’t miss Kaberle.

Gorges blocked seven shots, running his league-leading total to 29. Alexei Emelin, however, did not lead the Canadiens in hits, as Cole – who came to life this weekend – had six of the team’s 28.

There’s lots more to chew over … including piss-poor officiating that hurt (that absurd goalie interference call on Tomas Plekanec) and helped (an even worse call on Jacob Silfverberg, negating the tying goal).

The PK pitched another shutout and was perfect on the weekend.

But for the first time this season, the Canadiens power-play took and 0-for.

The Canadiens improved their Northeast Division record to 2-2.

Next up: Boston at the Bell Centre on Wednesday.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m ready for some football.

• The Canadiens swept Super Bowl weekend for the first time since 2006, when they rang up back-to-back shutouts of Boston (2-0) and Philadelphia (5-0).

1. Sportfan says:

Was a great game yesterday, a great super bowl too lots of winning on my side haha Boston wednesday boy am I nervous for that game!

• Lafleurguy says:

Nervous too. Despise the Bruins. Recchi has a worthy successor in Brad Marchand, as a misinformed mouthpiece. Marchand bad-mouthed Sabre coach Lindy Ruff for calling a timeout late in the game so he could put John Scott on the ice when Julien iced goon Lane McDiarmid……like, yah…..

2. AliHaba says:

Great weekend for our Habs. Can’t wait until Wednesday.

Question……Are any other members of the Commentariat in the Sportsnet Fantasy Pool? Each time I try to access it I get frozen out. Wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble.

Tim Bozon 52 games 72 points +28
    Mac Bennett 20 13 E
    Maxim Trunev 40 9 E
    John Westin 38 7 -8
    Josiah Didier 21 5 E
    Colin Sullivan 21 1 E

3. Habfan10912 says:

This 18 year old on the Habs is looking more and more comfortable out there, huh? The puck just seems to find him and he’s seldom caught out of his position in his own end. He’s not getting pushed around much out there either.
    I see a star.
    ———————————–

• Loonie says:

He anticipates changes in possession better than anyone else on the team.

There’s no hesitation in his game and he’s near always one step ahead because of his ability to read the play.

It’s unbelievable at his age.

• Steeltown Hab says:

MT is putting the Gallys in a position to succeed, a lot of OZ starts. Happy to see this, they’re earning more trust each game. MTL inherited an entire 3rd line this offseason when you think about it. Add in a healthy Gio and revamped Bourque and Plek, gotta love it.

Who would’ve thought this team would have so much talent that they struggle to fit a guy like Eller in the top 9..truly shocking. No doubt the kid can play though, I really hope his future is with the habs.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Lafleurguy says:

His hustle on the backcheck is impressive. Mornin’ Jim!
      On a down note the flyweight (Brendan Gallagher) is also excellent in hockey sense, and good with his hands, skating, and backcheck. However, he needs to move up in weight-class, maybe a stint in a reality show, “The Biggest Gainer.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• commandant says:

Show me the 18 year old hockey player who doesn’t need to add muscle to his frame. It comes with the territory at that age, except for a few freaks.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes Ben but even so he’s doesn’t look physically out of place out there to me. I’ve fallen in love with this kid. Everything you told me about him last fall was dead on. CHeers bud.

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Greetings, Ben. I often miscommunicate! The flyweight I was referring to is Brendan Gallagher, whose weight by boxing criteria is closer to welterweight/middleweight. As far as Alex G. is concerned, it is hard to pick out the fact he is only 18; in other words, he looks like an NHLer right now!

“May you live in interesting times.”

The good thing about Gallagher, his father is strength conditioning coach and apparantly Gallagher has spent years working on this. He will continue to get stronger, but he can only put so much more weight on that small frame and keep his quickness.

He is unafraid of any area on the ice.

• Lafleurguy says:

He has the potential to be Mats Naslund II when he fills out, Burly. (pun intended)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mike Boone says:

Barring injury, he’s going to be great. Take it to the bank.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

4. youngwun says:

I just checked the standings, we have a better GA and GF than the bruins! We’re only 1 point back so let’s see who’s really the better team.

• Lafleurguy says:

Be wary of what you wish for. Don’t want a blowout/beatdown which happened in a season we MADE the playoffs (Campbell cutting up current Tampa sniper Tommy Pyatt with an elbow pad).

“May you live in interesting times.”

5. habstrinifan says:

Anyone else thinks that SF may have won the Supe Bowl if they had played through and not taken timeouts using the 2 miute warning ruse on their drive. Once they were that close to the goalline I thought the drop in ‘adrenalin and mental urgency’ that that ‘pause’ brought allowed nervous tension to take over in execution.

I know in football that is an often use strategem but this time it backfired I think.

• Loonie says:

No. The 49ers were the younger team and against an experienced group like the Ravens who are used to thinking quickly in dramatic situations the break likely helped San Fran more.

Edit: With that in mind I thought the 49ers play call on fourth down was a bad choice. With a kid chucking the ball and needing the touchdown they should have called a more conservative protection that would have bought him more time. But it’s also worth noting they have the best Oline in the league by a country mile.

A good read from Jack Todd on MB and the change he is making on the Habs.

• Lafleurguy says:

Good chilly mornin’! Todd points out an important nuance from last year, which was the team missing two important leadership pieces in the captain and an assistant captain. Also, the skill Gionta and Markov possess would be welcomed by any team in the league.

Small down note: Markov has lost a step, and it is most apparent when he stubbornly uses a play he successfully made in his youth which is to stand up at the opposition blueline to defend a breakout. In the past, if he were beaten, his speed would allow him to chase down the attackers; not so these days. Erik Karlsson provides a stark contrast in skating speed and agility, but in his youth, Markov was nearly as quick as the Norris trophy d-man.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

He still spends most of his time tearing Gauthier apart. Todd just loves to do that to people. How does one get that angry? Over sports?

I wasn’t a fan of the Goat either but this:

“It’s nice,” one veteran sportswriter said Sunday, comparing this management team to the last one, “to work with human beings for a change.”

is over the top nasty. If it was published in a legit newspaper it might even be called libel.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Yes the weakest dept. in the NHL today, is definitely the refereeing dept.
    It is atrocious, inconsistent and destroys the flow of a well played game.

Yup, not a pretty situation, the flow of hockey games is often removed from the game with all the calls being made. It needs improvement indeed.

• Ian Cobb says:

The newer referees have the attitude in the new NHL, that they are to be the show. I do believe however, that any contact to the head should be called closely.

• The Cat says:

I dont see the inconsistency, Id say the refs have been pretty consistent with making stupid phantom calls.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning gentleman. It’s pretty apparant that the league has asked the officials to call ALL penalties. Most good officials normally have a feel for the game and try to base calls on that feel. That has been taken away and we are left with officials just out there blowing whistles. Most will point to the goalie interference call as the worst call of the weekend but for me it was the Frankie B diving call which was the worst.

———————————–

• Strummer says:

You can’t blame the ref’s for the state of refereeing in the NHL.

Blame the league.

Ref’s are calling as they were told to. According to Kerry Fraser’s blog the refs had their own training camp before the season started. this is the result.

There are always attempts after a lockout to make changes to rules and how they are called for a perceived “betterment” of the game.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

The problem isn’t the refs, it’s the league.

In most sports refs are in the service of the game.

In the NHL they’re in the service of the owners. The guiding thought behind every decision the league makes is profits.

It’s like the difference between a judge in a democracy who upholds the laws and a judge in a banana republic.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

8. Marc10 says:

It just occurs to me, we’re going to need to sit someone for Boston. I imagine White will play in that one…

Armstrong? You’d imagine he was brought in just for those types of games, but he hasn’t been a major contributor as of yet.

• Loonie says:

Nearly everyone who tries to play the Bruins’ “game” with them ends up on the losing end.

It will be interesting to see how Therrien approaches playing them.

Just so we’re clear, I’m not baiting you, I’m on the fence on this one.

;)

• The Cat says:

Therell be a fight in the first 2 minutes.

I read a Boston blogger a week or so ago write a similar thing Tom. The gist of it was that when teams intentionally get into a rougher style than normal against Bruins this actually helps them play their game. The example of Carolina beating them last year was used, as they didn’t do any extra physical game plan, but rather just out hockeyed them.

I think this edition of Habs can do that, while at the same time providing a physical forecheck.

I am a bit concerned White runs around trying to hit things and rather just sparks Boston.

• Ian Cobb says:

Speed and discipline will send the Bruins packing!

• habstrinifan says:

Not play the Bruins game but be the presence which allows us to play our game. If Armstrong isnt being a strong factor (and I dont think he is right now) then replacing him with White will even mentally provide that comfort.

Well put, and while I don’t mind Armstrong, perhaps that exchange would be good.

I don’t say it like Armstrong has been great, but he hasn’t hurt the team and is a responsible forward on the 4th line. But he doesn’t seem to have the footspeed he had a few years ago.

9. Cal says:

Monday is a great day to bask….and collect on Super Bowl bets. That was a nice and profitable weekend. :)

10. Thomas Le Fan says:

Ah did the Sennies get a bad call? Suck it up buttercup! Stupid 49ers, that kickoff return killed them. I still hate Ray Lewis. Go Habs!

11. Un Canadien errant says:

About Beyoncé’s performance at the halftime show, there is no doubt that she was singing live and not lip-synching. The voice quality would suffer when she exerted herself with a strenuous dance move, and she made sure to throw in a couple of ‘spontaneous’ shouts to the crowd (“How you doin’!”) to prove that it wasn’t a canned performance.

I won’t get into whether she’s talented or not, and yeah I’m not much into chanteuses or R&B, but I will say that when her “Crazy In Love” single came out I was working in a bar, and I got to really like that song. Obviously the bass line and rhythm and horns onslaught is kickass when pumping out of a nightclub’s sound system.

Plus, when that song came on, the girls would go nuts and storm the dance floor. And. Get. Down.

I would survey the dance floor, and the DJ would do likewise, and we’d catch each other enjoying the fauna, and nod at each other and think that our job was pretty cool. Considering.

So Beyoncé can do no wrong.

I might not be in mid season form yet, but I found today’s game boring. Perhaps it’s the officiating, perhaps it’s the game, perhaps I am still in “I don’t give a F about NHL” mode since the lockout… whatevs…

Looked like a solid game by the Habs though. I was impressed that AG and BG got a regular shift in the 2-1 game, which would have never happened in JM days. More so than Galchenyuk, I am impressed by how aggressively Gallager plays. I hope he can keep it up all season long and not turn into another Steve Begin always hurting himself.

Booins on Wed – I hope for a good game but I dread all the calls against the Habs in that one. It will hardly be a fair game.

• Cal says:

You are out of sorts because the team and management isn’t sucking. After last season, you may have to take a sabbatical. ;)

• Marc10 says:

Well, its tough coming down from the great spanking the Habs dished out on the Sabres. The Sens are doing their best NJ impersonation.

The Bruins… That’s going to a different game altogether. Way more weapons up front and a giant douche on the blue line. Good times!

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

The Bruins are going to be a tougher test, and if the Habs aren’t quick on their feet, you’ll have something to mope about.
      They are shockingly good so far. I had to miss the Ottawa game with work, and I regretted it. I have no idea how long they will be good, and I hate to miss it. I hope I’ll see it all season.
      Timo, you would have enjoyed the first Ottawa game (their previous second back to back), but what I’ve seen so far this season is something we are not used to. Who ever thought we would turn the TV on to watch the habs, and see consistently good, entertaining games?
      It’s weird.

13. Mr. Biter says:

Game with Bruins on TSN,, RDS ,NBC Sports and NESN wed. night. Everybody should be able to see it. Promises to be a good one.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

14. Steeltown Hab says:

Habs looking good, especially Pleks, being a critic of his I can say this is the best hockey I’ve seen him play. Not sure he has the offensive creativity of some of our other Cs but makes up for it in speed, smarts, defensive ability.

DD has last years season still on his back, Plekanec is the vet who deserves respect, and Galchenyuk is the blue chipper we’ve always hoped for. Sad to see a talent like Eller not having much leverage coming off a 3-point night.

Let’s just hope he gets more PP his possession skills make him worthy of time with the first unit. Gotta say we’ve never had this much quality scoring talent in the top 9. Wouldn’t mind seeing Eller back with DD and Cole and seeing Pac or Bourque with the rooks. Armstrong is about ready for a regular rotation in the press box. White and Prust are just more effective and Moen won’t be subjected to that whether he has a bad game or not.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• CanadienBoy says:

U complaint about Plack ? funny how Jarg as not

• Mike Bone says:

Really? You think Plekanec has less offensive creativity than Eller or Desharnais? You’ve obviously never seen him put a puck where nobody is expecting it, or set up a teammate for a gorgeous goal. Then again, I’m assuming you watched the Habs play hockey before this season. My bad.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Complaint about plek in the past mainly for playoff performances. Let’s face it he’s had to carry the load as a #1 for a few years now when he’s clearly more of a strong #2 similar to a Kesler, Bergeron type of player who we’re lucky to have.

But ya in terms of a pure playmaking, I’d put Eller and DD above him. Plekanec has a better risk assessment than Eller, and worlds better breakout speed than DD so he more than makes up for it in other ways.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t Y’all HATE when there’s nothing to complain about ?

16. usaref says:

It’s been while since I’ve been on this site, please help me what does #039 refer to

17. Hobie Hansen says:

I love Therrien, Prust and Bourque! Is that a crime?

18. Phil C says:

I don’t know the nuances of NFL football rules, but that looked like a hold to me.

19. DLS HAB says:

What a smart move to kill time in the end zone by the Ravens. This won them the Super Bowl.

20. Mattyleg says:

Just turned on the Superball.
    NFL. Beh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. K-hab25 says:

Ravens win, yeeesss!!

22. DLS HAB says:

1:55 to go, a must score here for the 49ers.

Team leaders after 8 games:

- Gallagher leads the team with a +6 (the league leader is +8).
    - Galchenyuk is 2nd with a +5.
    - Bouillon leads the D with a +4.
    - Galchenyuk and Gallagher are in the top 5 scoring for rookies

- Diaz and Markov lead the team with 8 points each (only two D men have more points in the league, 3 others are tied at 8).
    - Galchenyuk and Plekanec are in 2nd and have 7 points each.

- Markov and Plekanec lead with 4 goals apiece.
    - Desharnais, Bourque and Gallagher have 3.

- Price is 4th over-all in GAA and Sv%. Ottawa’s Anderson is 1st in both categories.

- The Habs are 6th in goals for per game and 5th in goals against per game.
    - They have the 9th best PK% and are 14th over-all for PP%.

The Habs are a better 5 on 5 team than they have been in quite a long while. They are currently among the elite in the NHL without having to too heavily rely on special teams, however elite goaltending has been a significant factor. They are top 10 in 3 important categories and are getting top 5 goaltending. The Habs have many lethal scoring options, including a very decent PP, with scoring coming from the back end as well as spread out across three forward lines. The 4th line is as crash and bang as they come, are defensively responsible and are capable of popping in a few goals here and there. With Subban in the line-up, Diaz and Emelin playing like seasoned veterans, Markov pulling a Selanne, Gorges leading the league in blocked shots, and Bouillion rejuvenated, the Habs have 6 solid D, add to that 4 lines ready to roll, and the Habs appear to be a complete NHL team, the only marginally weak part being the back-up goalie. If Budaj can have a split or better over 6-8 games there is a very good chance the Habs finish in the top 10 over-all. They’d have to keep up their current excellence to do that and that’s why they play the games.

1/6th of the season has been played. 5/6th left to see where the cards fall. It’s been exciting so far.

24. Bill says:

Bunch of comments between me and Hobie just got eaten there, weird. Nothing bad in any of them.

EDIT: … aww wait … Sholi, you’re a mod, aren’t you? haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

25. CCL says:

I like prust but a good scoring left winger with the kids would make that line even better and don’t say Eller ….

26. Actually I gaave management all the credit.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

27. Bill says:

Sholi is a good Canadian boy!

Full Breezer 4 Life

28. longbow says:

Don’t care who wins. Just glad the Niners are making it interesting.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

29. Hobie Hansen says:

Therrien rules!

• Every time the habs are healthy it doesn’t matter who’s coaching.

So he gets zero credit from me, but management did a great job building this team and that includes hiring a coach.

That also includes guys like Gainey.

I hope you all remember that.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bah, forget what u said.

Therrien rules!

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Gainey set the team back at least two years so I give him little to no credit for the current habs

• Phil C says:

You are right Sholi, people tend to focus on the negative, but Gainey made a lot of good moves. He built a team that won the conference in 2008 and came within 7 wins of a Stanley Cup in 2010. His fingerprints are all over this team:

- Drafting Carey Price
        - Getting San Jose’s 1st Round pick = Pacioretty
        - Getting Gorges in same trade as a throw in
        - Keeping Markov signed long term
        - Drafting Subban under his watch
        - Signing Gionta
        - Signing Moen
        - Bringing Plekanec up through their system

Not bad at all.

• Phil C says:

I have loved every move he has made so far, especially the type of hockey they are playing and the team-first concept. There is simply no substitute for experience and Therrien has a lot. All he is missing on his resume is a Stanley Cup. Hopefully not for much longer.

30. Captain aHab says:

Looks like the NHL referees have now joined the NFL….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Has there been 1 game this year where the refs just didn’t totally blow? I don’t think there has been and that’s a serious problem for this league.

31. mdp2011 says:

Good evening all. What a great weekend for the Habs. I just want to say that I hated the Therrian hire, but I have to admit, he is really impressing me in the first 8 games so far. Anyway, enjoy the rest of the football game.

32. MikeHabs says:

If you’re wondering how the Habs prospects did this past week, check out this recap: http://allaboutthehabs.ca/227/

twitter: @Mike_Habs

Ladies and gentlemen… we have ourselves a ball game!!!

34. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

I’m not saying you have to like her ad an artist. But if you are familiar with her singing and think that she is poor vocalist, you really don’t have much credibility. It’s not about being a fan or not. I don’t listen to her music or any of the crap on the radio. My favorite artist is Feist. But it’s just dishonest to say she’s a better singer than Beyoncé.

• Captain aHab says:

Right now as far as I’m concerned, the gold standard for female vocalist across all formats is Melody Gardot. If you don’t know who she is, she’s definitely worth listening to.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• K-hab25 says:

Opera singers have just as much “range” as she does and I wouldn’t want to hear them either. Sorry some people think spray painting a wall is art, I don’t.

• Bill says:

You don’t like Beyonce and you don’t like opera. Well some people are just hard to please. But based on that, are your musical opinions serious?

I don’t mean to get all “uppity” as you say, but the word you’re reaching for there is “hear”, not “here”. Homonyms are a bitch eh? It’s that ear thing again.

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. ZepFan2 says:

Anybody see this: http://tinyurl.com/c4dsqpv

Holy crap, I want one!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Captain aHab says:

I’ll betcha in Canada it’ll only go on for Leafs goals.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

36. Captain aHab says:

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if the sprinklers came on now?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

37. Andy and the habs says:

In the next game we will have a chance to claim the division lead in which would make the Canadiens the top in the eastern conference.

38. Habfan10912 says:

Hey, how bout those Habs? :)

———————————–

39. habsfan0 says:

In a strange coincidence, birth rates among females who attended this year’s Super Bowl skyrockets in 9 months.

40. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

The ability to sing is not in the ear of the beholder. Whether you like the music produced or stage presence etc is one thing. Carrying notes and having vocal range is another, and is scientifically measurable.

41. Boomer says:

I was really hoping Bane was going to come out onto the field after the blackout and tell the people their “punishment must be more severe.”

42. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Every Super Bowl show sounds like garbage. But if you look past what kind of music YOU like, and you really believe Beyoncé can’t sing, you need your ears checked. That, or this was the first time you have heard her sing. This is not Britney Spears – she’s a talented singer. But they didn’t ask her to sing “If I Was A Boy”, she was asked to be part of a maniacal dancing and pyrotechnic free-for-all. Who can sing their best doing that?

• K-hab25 says:

Like I said below, musical talent is in the ear of the beholder. I’d rather stab myself in the ears with a pen, than listen to her sing. If you like her great, doesn’t mean I have too.

• Habfan10912 says:

She is cute though.

———————————–

• K-hab25 says:

Wasn’t arguing that, she’s gorgeous and married to an even less talented musician.

• Bill says:

Wow. First of all, you don’t think Beyonce can sing. Okay, so you’re tone-deaf, that’s ok. But you also don’t think Jay-Z is talented? I don’t even like hip-hop but I’m a musician and that guy’s talent is so obvious … it’s off the charts.

At least you have eyes, lol.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bill says:

“Uppity”? lol

Are you sure that’s the word you want to use?

No need to get so upset, son. Anger problems?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

Well you’re them one calling me names, talking down to me because I don’t like pop/r&b singing voices, they’re horrible IMO. As far as your keyboard playing, limerick speaking hero, yes he’s less talented than his wife. Have fun with your keyboard “musician.”

43. habsfan0 says:

I didn’t realize Hydro Quebec’s tentacles of efficiency reached all the way down to Louisiana.

Seems to me the City of New Orleans is telling Roger Goodell what they think of him right now.

• mrhabby says:

LOL….not much love there.

• Chris says:

As a lifelong Saints fan, my most sincere hope was that the fans would chant something so vile throughout the entire game that the networks would have to mute the sound.

Either that or a Clarence Campbell style welcome to the Superdome. That guy will never be welcome in New Orleans again.

45. habsfan0 says:

Saw someone running with a fuse.

Game should resume soon.

46. frontenac1 says:

Frontenac liked that half time show. That was a Fine Looking Lass!

47. Strummer says:

2 weeks of hype and a 6 hour pre-game show and this is all they got?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

48. mrhabby says:

Super bowl….blows.

Listening to Shannon Sharpe is right up there with PJ Stock.

50. Mr. Biter says:

Todd’s head gotta be imploding right now. Can’t explode if there’s nothing in it.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

The secret to the Ravens success are those obviously swank yoga pants.

52. longbow says:

I think turning the lights out is merciful

53. ZepFan2 says:

HaHa

Beyonce’s show used up all the power.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

54. Mavid says:

wow that was bad

55. Bill says:

Best half-time show ever. Far better than the game!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Strummer says:

can’t be bothered- not my cup of tea,

Beyonce lip-synch fakery

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• neumann103 says:

Joe

I hate these things but Beyonce was not lipsynching. In fact hhe whole thing was like a challenge “You think I need to lipsynch, bitches? ”

And the acoustic nightmare of the stadium and loud backing tracks is about 100 times harder than the inauguration [where she also was not lipsynchimg incidentally ]

“Et le but!”

• Strummer says:

She can’t sing. period.
          There’s some guy at a console board electronically tweaking her voice even if she is singing live, which I doubt.

EDIT- All parties involved including her admitted it was lip-synched- incidentally

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• K-hab25 says:

Shhh, you’ll break his heart. He thinks she’s great, let him have it.

• neumann103 says:

“Some guy at a console tweaking her voice electronically”

With. Respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sure you could manually pitch correct, but not in real tkime under those conditions.

You could use auto tune but then crude pitch correction on human vocals does not sound like that, does it?

“Et le but!”

• K-hab25 says:

Personally I don’t care if she was or wasn’t, just hope I never hear her sing again, that’s all.

She did admit the inauguration was lip synced. For the record I would rather hear Molly Hatchet.

• K-hab25 says:

Either you need to get laid, or have your ears checked Bill.

• Strummer says:

Past shows had Stones, U2, McCarntey, the Who.
        they may have been over the hill but at least they gave all they had and weren’t miming to a soundtrack

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Bill says:

Not only were those guys over the hill, but without a doubt all except U2 were lip-synching … which Beyonce was not, which should be obvious to anyone who listened.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

Certainly seen enough “live” shows to believe either she was, or being greatly aided by outside influences. I mean to jump and dance around and sing perfectly like your cd was playing, ya I don’t think so.

• Bill says:

Pretty ok in both departments, thanks anyway though K-Hab!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• neumann103 says:

People who think beyonce was lip synching need the ear test.

I agree wigh those who dismiss these super bowl halftime shows for the middlebrow hype fests they are but girlfriend was actually sanging!
        at least the first two songs. I left to get my kid a little einstein video.

“Et le but!”

56. mrhabby says:

Beyonce=nice booty.

57. kirkiswork says:

Not so bad on the eyes but pretty freakin hard on the ears, almost as bad as the black eyed peas.

Please give us this day another wardrobe malfunction.

59. K-hab25 says:

21-6 Good Guys, If John Harbaugh wasn’t a moron, it would be 24-6, but I’ll take it. Man it feels weird cheering for the Ravens, only team to beat my Giants in the Super Bowl.

60. Propwash says:

…and this is why I don’t bet on sports. Niners are gonna have to step up if they want a chance at winning.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

61. Mike Bone says:

Holy crap! So, if the Habs beat the Bruins Wednesday, they’re first in the conference, right? The only time they were first last year was on opening night.

62. frontenac1 says:

Great game by Les Boys today. I love the league this year. Lots of Fights. I signed up for NHL Centre Ice and there are at least a couple of Tilts in each game! Well worth the 49 bucks amigos! Looked like Parros snuck in a left right on the button ,that dropped John Scott.

63. temekuhabs says:

MT2.0 is managing the team well, I like the fact that players are held accountable (ie) White , and being put in important situations that help the team (ie) Eller on in the last minute. We are going to need everybody to succeed in this shortened season. After 8 games and (6-2) I’ll take that!

64. Chris says:

Lars Eller – If other players are rewarded for their excellent play, it kind of stinks for Eller that he is one of the best players on the ice and still gets demoted to fourth line garbage minutes in his next game.

This is the problem with coaches that “reward” players for good play…it simply doesn’t work. Some guys are not going to be demoted or see their ice time cut because of who they are. This has included Erik Cole and David Desharnais, who had not been playing very well until this weekend.

And that is the way it should be. Players have to be accountable, but they also have to know that they can take risks occasionally to make plays without worrying about being demoted, benched or scratched.

Eller does not enjoy that position. I don’t know how you manage it, because there was nobody else that should have been demoted. But the message that can be received is “Others will be rewarded, but you will not.” And that isn’t a good message.

Fortunately, Eller played relatively well in his few minutes, including drawing a penalty by keeping his feet moving. But the Habs just have too many forwards right now.

Colby Armstrong – I don’t think I saw him do one useful thing today. I was watching to see if I was being too hard on the guy, but he just isn’t a particularly good hockey player anymore. He lost battles all over the ice, contributes nothing offensively and isn’t intimidating in the physical department. Why Therrien insists on using him so much to kill penalties is beyond me.

Tomas Plekanec – I’ve always felt that Plekanec has been the beneficiary of some might Habs-coloured glasses at times in the past. Plekanec is a good player who sometimes gets over-valued. But this season, he has been competing all over the ice. He’s been their best forward, without a doubt.

Alex Galchenyuk – The Habs are going to have a decision to make soon if the kid keeps playing the way he is. He is already looking like he might be ready to take on a bigger role with the team. He’s growing accustomed to the speed and strength of NHL players, and he’s starting to make plays as opposed to just getting through his shifts the way he was doing in his first few games. He’s already the second best centre on this team, and that is not a slight at Desharnais, just a recognition that Galchenyuk is the real deal.

Faceoffs are once again emerging as a problem for this team. Plekanec (48.2%) and Desharnais (47.5%) are the two that are called upon to take most of the draws, and there seems to be little improvement in this department over last season. This is another area where I am hoping that Galchenyuk can rapidly improve, because the team desperately needs a player that can win draws consistently in the offensive zone.

NHL officiating is becoming a real problem for the league. With the retirement of so many senior referees in recent years, I get the feeling there isn’t a lot of respect for the officials among the players. And some of the new referees are just flat-out bad. I’ve always consoled myself that OHL refereeing was far worse than the NHL, but that is no longer the case. There have been some absolute head-scratchers in every game this season. The league has got to address this issue sooner than later or it is going to become a story.

• likehoy says:

RE: Faceoffs
      48 and 47 % is good on any night
      it’s the nights that pleks and DD get 35% is when we’re in trouble

gotta keep in mind a 48% is the same as 50% when you break it down, and winning 50% of your faceoffs is the league average…

• Rugger says:

Eller will get plenty of top 6 minutes this year, the Habs will have injuries to someone that actually needs time to recover.

• K-hab25 says:

Eller – I really think he’ll be with the rooks, once Therrien feels a little more confident in them. Mid-season probably.

Armstrong – I still think he’s been solid. To me Moen and White have been worse.

Plekanec – I agree completely, always thought the HI/O commentariat thought a little to highly of him and still do, but this year, he’s been our best forward.

Galchenyuk – As I said above, once Therrien feels a little more confident in his rooks, Eller will move there and will create a very creative offensive line.

Faceoffs – I think most faceoffs are overrated, some are very important, as long as we win a good percentage of those, I’m not to worried.

Officiating – There always has and will always be, bad calls, it’s a short season for the officials aswell.

• HabFab says:

Armstrong has been disappointing so far to say the least.

• Mike Bone says:

Jeez, do you get paid by the word? Seriously, though, Plekanec has always been excellent. He’s also been dealt a lousy hand of linemates a lot of the time, and nobody ever won a hockey game all alone. Also agree Armstrong was a poor signing. Like my dad says, he’s like dried shit on a blanket: neither hurt nor service. Bergevin was smart to sign Prust for four years and Armstrong for just one.

• K-hab25 says:

He’s played with Kovalev, Kostitsyn, Cammalleri, Gionta and Bourque for most of the last 5 years and has still yo-yoed every year. Enough excuses about his linemates.

• Mike Bone says:

Seriously? Cammalleri was brutal last year. Bourque was too. Gionta was hurt half the year. Look up how much time he’s spent with Travis Moen on his line, then talk about how great his linemates are.

• K-hab25 says:

So you want to bring up last year only, not very surprised, your argument falls apart otherwise. Still, maybe Cammalleri and Bourque were bad because of Plekanec’s play. He is the playmaker, right. Your Moen comment is great, two years ago he played well with Gomez and Gionta and last year he and Kostitsyn, had their best stretch of play with Eller, not Plekanec. Hmm, wonder why it is no one seems to improve playing with Plekanec, maybe it’s him and not his wingers, that are to blame.

• Chris says:

I agree that Plekanec has always been excellent, but I just kept waiting for that next step to push him into the top group.

I honestly think he’s there if he can keep up this level of play. He is working all over the ice.

• Mike Bone says:

You give Plekanec wingers with vision and the ability to one-time an unexpected cross-ice pass, and Plekanec will put up numbers. He is a complete, supremely talented hockey player. People wonder why Alex Ovechkin is sucking the last two seasons? The answer is Plekanec owned him in the 2010 playoffs and he’s never recovered.

• Chris says:

Poor Ovie. He has never recovered, while Crosby just seemed to get pissed annoyed.

“Fine…I’ll go become the league’s best goal-scorer.” And he did.

65. MikeHabs says:

The game was overall pretty good but some mistakes that resulted in Carey bailing his teammates out, which is fine – it’s going to happen. The Sens goal should’ve never occurred but it was a good heads up play by OTT, our defence can’t be split like that. Was a good shot by Silfverberg as well. The good thing is that the Habs didn’t get discouraged and got the goal back quickly. Need to win these divisional games!

Also, someone tell Kaberle to stop sabotaging PK’s skates.

Pacioretty Returns, Montreal Earns Back to Back Wins: http://allaboutthehabs.ca/pacioretty-returns-montreal-earns-back-to-back-wins-habs-2-senators-1/
    Rebirth of Rene Bourque: http://allaboutthehabs.ca/the-rebirth-of-rene-bourque/
    Gallagher: A Diamond in the Rough: http://allaboutthehabs.ca/brendan-gallagher-a-diamond-in-the-rough/
    twitter: @Mike_Habs

66. boing007 says:

The Flying Freshmen. I like that. Great name for the two Gallys.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

67. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415179

Halak injured, groin injuries aren’t fun. I had one in 99 and was on crutches for two weeks. That was severe though.

With St Louis’ defense Stubbs could play goal and they’d win. :lo:

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

68. jols101 says:

Anyone with better math skills then me – if 95 points in 82 games gets you into the playoffs, how many points will we need in 48 games?

69. dpat44 says:

I’m on a pink cloud right now…but I have my pink parachute ready.

“It’s their rink, it’s their ice, and it’s their effin’ town. But tonight we got our fans with us!” -Reggie Dunlop

70. K-hab25 says:

Go Ravens GO

71. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I know how to make hockey popular in the States.
    Every time a team moves the puck forward and the puck carrier gets hit – freeze.
    Stand around for a minute or so, while the guy who did the hitting shows off.
    Skate ten feet. Stop. Show off, fist pump.
    Skate ten feet. Stop. Show off. Chest thump.

Make each goal worth seven points, so it looks like something more happened. The Habs beating the Sens 14-7 today sounds like a hell of a game.

Bettman? Bettman? Hello? I can save Phoenix….

72. ZepFan2 says:

First time in a long time I’m not as nervous when the Habs play.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

This is New Orleans screwing Goodell and the NFL, payback is a B&tch.

74. Sean Bonjovi says:

Better yet let’s just trade Kaberle to the Bruins ; )

75. K-hab25 says:

Your idea would probably help us more. :-)

76. Garbo says:

No matter who’s in net, its tough to win when you only score 1 goal.

… or when one player gets 2 minors on the same play.