About last night … with audio

MaxScoresinTO
What a difference a week makes!
On the day before Super Sunday, your Montreal Canadiens stunk out the Bell Centre, shut out in their own barn by the Washington Capitals. They were last in the Eastern Conference, 13 points out of the final playoff spot.
The city was in mourning, contemplating a sell-off on Feb. 27 and a long spring and summer of reconstruction.
They haven’t lost since.
Laying a big fat goose egg on Mats Sundin’s cake was the Canadiens’ fourth win in a row.
They are the hottest team in the Eastern Conference.

Check the standings.

The Canadiens have moved to within seven points of the Leafs, who are clinging to the conference’s final playoff spot. If goal differential determined the standings, the Canadiens would be in sixth place. Their 5-0 win in Toronto elevated Goals-for to 149, which is equal to the number of goals the Canadiens have allowed this season.

They’re even scoring on the power play: three in the last four games. And the league’s best penalty-kill pitched another shutout at the ACC.

Dare we whisper the word?

Playoffs.

It’s still an uphill climb against steep odds, but …

Let’s look at the week ahead:

Carolina at the Bell Centre on Monday night, then a visit by the Bruins on Wednesday. If the Canadiens win those two games, the city will be in a frenzy.

Then a weird weekend: in Buffalo on Friday night, followed by a 6 p.m. Sunday game against New Jersey at the Bell Centre.

If the Canadiens can sweep or win three out of four …

Again, making the playoffs is a longshot. After the Devils visit, the Canadiens play three of their next four games on the road, including two games in Florida.

The March schedule is brutal: Nine of 15 games on the road, including a western swing through Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. The month ends with a very tough back-to-back on the road: Rangers and Washington.

Of the other teams scrambling for playoff spots, Buffalo, the Islanders, Tampa Bay and Washington hold games in hand on the Canadiens.

OK, my little stroll through the schedule places us officially way ahead of ourselves – and layers anxiety about the future over the sheer joy of pounding the snot out of Leafs on a night when Toronto honoured one the best players in franchise history.

With help from his goalposts, Carey Price racked up his fourth shutout of the year. Through the Canadiens’ four-game winning streak, Price has a goals-against average of 0.98 and  save percentage of 96.7.

He is in the zone. And as was the case during the Islanders’ power-play bombardment Thursday night, Price’s positioning was so great against Toronto he barely broke a sweat. No scrambling, no flopping around in the crease, no panic giveaways.

The goal tender is playing with total confidence – and it’s radiating out to the skaters.

The usual suspects were great in Toronto. Price, of course, but also Josh Gorges, who has blocked 15 shots during the win streak; P.K. Subban , who played 20:36 and continues to thrive on reduced ToI, increased concentration on D and a marked diminution in yapping; Alexei Emelin, whose mind-boggling nine hits at the ACC gave him 22 in these four wins, and the other Dmen who deserve props for a shutout: Chris Campoli (a very effective 15:17), Hal Gill (almost six minutes on the PK). Raphael Diaz (barely noticed him, which is good) and Tomas Kaberle.

Randy Cunneyworth won his 10th game and  made some adroit line adjustments. With Travis Moen out, the coach used Rene Bourque with Tomas Plekanec (two assists, 16 faceoff wins) and Mathieu Darche (a goal, an assist, 18:43 of ice time). Rising to the standard of his linemates, both of whom have excelled during the winning streak, Bourque played a smart, disciplined, high-energy game and bagged extra ice time with Scott Gomez and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Hey, does anyone miss Mike Cammalleri?

The DD line was great again: Erik Cole got his 20th goal, Max Pacioretty his 23rd and their centre picked up a pair of assists while winning 11 of 19 faceoffs.

I really liked the Kid Line. Lars Eller embarrassed Dion Phaneuf and beat James Reimer with a highlight-reel goal that made it 4-zip and drove a nail into the Leafs’ coffin.  Hustling linemates Louis Leblanc and Aaron Palushaj followed up on the strong game they played against Winnipeg to start the streak on Super Bowl Sunday.

Eight points in seven days.

Topic for Sunday Discussion:

With two weeks to the trade deadline, what should Pierre Gauthier do?

1. Badwich says:

Having read the posts I see we are back in it, we don’t need to trade right now and not as many as we thought and RC could well be the coach next year. (not that I would mind)

What a difference 4 games makes for many posters.

I’ve loved the games but isn’t it a touch early to throw away the play book? I sincerely hope the Goat is still ready and willing to move just about anyone if we’ll have a better team.

On a personal note, my well documented trade Price for something nice stance has been dented. He’s been wide awake in the last two but snoozing is part and parcel of who he is I fear. If so he has to go.

What would he bring?

Taberwitt

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

The iceberg that is Carey Price could carry the team and us a long, long way. How can you not love this kid?

Screw tanking! Go Habs!

3. t1tan5 says:

I’m not even going to allow myself the luxury of thinking about the playoffs. Win or lose, I’ll watch every game and hope for the best. Whatever happens happens.

4. RockinRey says:

Nothing changes you still entertain all offers. Except for the obvious few untouchables.

I still say sell- among my candidates to go- Gill, Kabs,Bourque( if the deal is right),Campoli, Weber, and AK46, Gomez . These guys are the obvious ones.

I dont think because you win a few games in a row that you stay the course. This team still has flaws( one line that is consistently a threat ). They have to many teams to leapfrog. But the last couple of games were a lot more entertaining and interesting to watch

• boing007 says:

Every team in the NHL has flaws. It’s the price we pay for parity. Too many teams and not enough talent to go around for each and every team.

Richard R

5. twocents says:

Gomez, Diaz (or Weber) and a second rounder for Ryan Suter. Sign him for 5 years at 5.5-6m.

Then move Kaberle for a second rounder.

Batta boom batta bing… money to sign AK, Subban, Price, Eller, Emelin, Palushaj, White, Moen, and Blunden.

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

Today is the day to trade all UFA’s. It would be classic Gautier style, at a time that would enrage all fans.. AK for a 7th, Gill and Moen for future considerations. LL to the minors calling up Enqvist. and running with whatever the best 9 D we have in the system… I kid, i kid…

7. ABHabsfan says:

What should PG do? With regards to his job as GM I assume, well here’s what I think.
    I am anti-tank. I understand the notion and the attraction I just can’t back it, it’s against the spirit of sport. You have to try to win no matter what, and I don’t buy the agruement that they would be out in the first round anyway. If these guys can pull this off and get in, they would be the hottest team in the league no one will want to face them. Beware the hot team that has underachieved.
    However you can try to win and still get value for assets that are not part of future plans anyway. I’d move Gill, Moen and Campoli and get what you can. Get to business with AK right now and either get a contract done or get him moved as well. Though if you trade AK I would like to see a roster player come back.
    I just don’t see over-whelming value in the top 5 draft prospects. Size and skill at centre is the consensus need for the Habs. Grigorenko seems to be a great player but drafting Russian players is a great risk IMO. True Malkin is a stud and the best player on skates right now. But how about Yashin? Radulov?
    There are good centres to be had that are ranked a little lower and these guys can provide just as much value as a top 5. Also if you get some picks by moving the above mentioned UFAs you can package a deal to move up if there is a “gottta have him” player that is available at draft time.
    There are some great signs on this team now of a bright future. How do yo go to Patch and say ” great job so far but we’re going to mail it in the rest of the way so we can get some jr player who might be helpful in 2-3 years?” How about Cole” please stop going to the net so hard, we’d rather not score anyway” C’mon! play to win all the time and draft and deal smartly. And then we Fans can all cheer for our team right into April and maybe even later. Even this team can pull this off (big IF still) it will be a great time to be a Hab fan, and Team Tank can sit in their basements muttering to themselves that we could have a had Grigorenko. There will be no room on our wagon for y’all.

Trading Gill/Moen and possibly AK is a recipe commonly found in a Tank Casserole though. Unless Markov is back in lineup, but while Ryan White will help this team, during a stretch drive Moen is very helpful. I understand the gist of your post, but to trade all those players (Campoli excepted) weakens/depletes our lineup more than strengthen is my point.

• ABHabsfan says:

I think the Habs can still win and trade Gill and Moen. Obviously Moen didn’t even play last night and I think his role can be filled adequately by White. Gill doesn’t play much anyway and mostly on PK. Still important but there are lots of guys who make the PK work. Given last night as an example, moving Gill, Moen and Campoli only requires filling about 14 min of TOI out of 300 man-min in any one game. I think that is manageable without folding up the proverbial tent

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I too am anti Tank, but it would be pretty devastating to me as a fan if PG moved any of Gallager, Tinordi, Ellis, Boullieu i would be upgraded to an “irate fan” from “marginally satisfied”

8. Propwash says:

Took awhile for the gelling to commence!

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

9. habsfanforever7631 says:

I don’t think we should trade everything away just yet.
    If at the trade deadline we’re like 10 points out, then we should trade some of our UFA’s.
    But I still think we should try to resign AK and Moen.
    But let’s not start trading yet, let’s see what happens, if we make the playoffs then cool, you never know, also the young guys will get a nice experience.
    If we don’t make the playoffs and finish 9th or 10th we’ll still get a pick from 10-12.
    I don’t know about everyone but me I’d like to see our Habs go on a run and go down fighting, rather than just lose lose and get a top draft pick.

Oh yeah and whata win last night, haha we totally embarrassed those lafs!

10. remi_10069 says:

Not much to complain about lately. Helps what Weber is out. Didn’t even notice Campoli’s shitness and Plek is playing like he doesn’t want to be moved. Really hope we don’t end up pointing to the post all star 3 game hangover as the reason why we don’t make it.

Confidence is high and building, I got a feeling…

pipes

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!
      For someone with high confidence with not much to complain about, your post reads like an anti-negaitve tract!

Weber (young up-and-coming d-man) = good that he’s out of the lineup
      Campoli = disguised shittiness
      Pleks = going to be traded but playing well
      Won’t make playoffs because of 3-game losing streak after playoffs.

I know you said all of these things are GOOD things or things that might not happen, but they’re so layered with negative language it’s hard to catch your wave of optimism.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• remi_10069 says:

I’m optimistic because they are playing with confidence which comes from Weber being out (he’s really bad), Plek playing well (his game has picked up since the serious trade talks suggesting he doesn’t want to be moved) even Campoli not being noticeable which I suppose means he’s playing well too. Hoping the 3 game losing streak to start the post all star break doesn’t screw us over.

Call it cautious optimism.

pipes

11. JayBee says:

If we can grab 6 or 7 out of a possible 8 points, this team has a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

They’ll have to keep up this kind of pace until the end of the season to have a shot.

I think we’re done, but I’ll be along for the ride.

12. aj says:

Alright, this team made me convinced that they gave me enough reasons to watch them. I’ll take back what I said before that I’m fed up watching these losers. The Habs are “Winners!”

Hopefully this week, they can make more wins through teams like Carolina, Boston, Buffalo, and New Jersey.

Speaking of Trades, I don’t think Gauthier should be Trading both Gill and Moen come Feb27 deadline this year.

Why?:
    a) Gill is a 6’7 DMan who can do a ton of solid shotblocking on their PK. Plus, He complements in holding opposing Dmen and Forwards.

b) Moen is also a big forward at 6’2 who can complement the Habs just like Gill. He’s good on the 3rd or 4th line but I think he’s still important if the Habs want stability in their forechecking. Who knows, he may score more goals. I would rather have him than Gomez.

c) Gauthier should NOT be making these players as potential sale. I would rather trade Campoli on Feb27 for a good prospect or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. I feel that if the Canadiens should be making moves with these 2 players, it should be during the summer time.

By the way, has anyone notice last night who’s watching the game in the pressbox? I saw Bob Gainey being closed-up in HNIC holding a pen and paper. What idiotic move is he going to do again this time…..??? If Gauthier will approve his thinking, I can assure Mr. Molson will puke at their moves and would boot these 2 suckers out of the Canadiens mngm’t staff.

• Cape Breton says:

Guys like you are only fans when our team is winning. Lose 3 in a row and you hate them. You’re a bandwagoner buds.

• Psycho29 says:

Weren’t you the guy calling for everyone to “Boycott this loser team for the next two months”?
      Don’t break a leg next time you jump off the bandwagon.

• LafleurGuy says:

Gonna give you a nudge. What are you going to say after the next loss? 2 and 2 is possible this week with potential losses to the Bruins (hate ‘em) and Sabres (6-0 over the Goonies).
      Moen reached 8 goals in the first month (Cole had about 3, Pacioretty 7) and only one in about 40 games. Love Moen, but let’s not overrate the man (loved him on Corner Gas).
      Campoli got Ottawa Chicago’s 2nd round pick and a plugger in Potulny, and clearly his value has dropped. I think he has value for this team next year. Tearing a hamstring is not unlike Gionta’s biceps tear, or Gomez’s latissimus and groin tears, or Ryan Whites’ sports hernia that White showed guts in playing through last season.
      Bob Gainey is a great man, whose best move as a GM was hiring Ken Hitchcock out of junior hockey (Peterborough Petes). His moves frustrated me but I would NEVER dis (disrespect) the man.
      Respectfully.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Moen averages just over one shot per game and has a shooting percentage of 20% approx 15% above his career average.. he is a 3-7 goal scorer that is defensively responsible, will fight from time to time, and hits less and less with each passing season..

• LafleurGuy says:

Goes to the “dirty areas,” average fighter who would face up to grade A enforcers (usually wrestles them), and would be VERY hard to replace if he were to be traded.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ABHabsfan says:

Uhh, no one is giving up a decent prospect or a 1st or a 2nd for campy. 5th tops and I like the guy

13. Stuck_in_To. says:

I had the immense satisfaction of sitting in the golds for this game. The Habs were full value but the D did not play nearly as well as Boone is suggesting. Campoli had trouble keeping his feet in the Habs end and is prone to give up the blue line rather than pinch. This is not categorically bad except for the guaranteed moment of indecision he faces before fleeing which always makes him look like he is scrambling to find his position. Interestingly, Campoli had the most poise and puck confidence when he did roam into the Leafs’ zone. I can’t help but think he might be a better winger

I really like Emelin a lot but he took himself out of position as often as he got in the right position and it wasn’t always to make a hit. I am not saying anything other than when he reduces these small mistakes he is going to be even better and that is great.

Gill had an interesting game and jumped into the rush no less than three times though I am sure he wasn’t vivisible on two given how far he was from the puck carrier. But he followed the play all the way before peeling off for a change.

I’m beginning to see why Darche gets the minutes he gets … though I am surprised he was not caught on his breakaway. The guy is slow! But great goal! Slow as he may be, and his decision making is 50-50 around the net, his play and positioning is fantastic over the rest of the ice.

Gomez is one of the better skaters on the ice. He can really move. If DD could skate like Gomez … wow. If Gomez could play like DD …

Plek’s move on his shorthanded chance to get that shot off was the best move of the night, with apologies to Eller.

• G-Man says:

I noticed a lot of players falling on one end of the ice. Perhaps where the zamboni comes out?
      I dislike 7 D, but if it’s working I can’t argue with RC for doing it.
      Be nice if some of Gomez’ setups were finished instead of flubbed.

Good for your for scoring nice tix for the game. Must have been great to be there for a Habs blowout. CHeers to you my friend.

• LafleurGuy says:

Darche’s short-handed goal, against the Penguins I think, and after Tomas’ miss (does any other NHLer create as many short-handed breakaways?) epitomizes his best qualities. If he is kept, will be a great mentor for Eller, Leblanc, Bournival, Gallagher as far as hockey smarts and giving maximum effort. Matthieu was hampered by a significant groin injury late last season, and I don’t remember if he was in the seven-game series last spring against the Bruins(hate ‘em).

“May you live in interesting times.”

14. Psycho29 says:

Some great comments over at TSN…
    Number-3 for the Leafs has a new nickname, “Pylon Phaneuf”…

15. Mr_MacDougall says:

Will Markov ever be back?

16. LafleurGuy says:

Which of the top eight Eastern Conference teams do you think are better than the Habs?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Bruins, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins……. Devils & Capitals by a smaller margin…

who do you think are better?

• LafleurGuy says:

Generally agree; and we are definitely better than the Leafs. Kessel can be neutralized in the same way Camalleri was.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• aj says:

If the Habs do make the playoffs, the best team for them to compete out of the top teams mentioned by Mr_MacDougall is none other than the Bruins. I would love to see another rematch IF ever that happens.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

That would be so nice… Thomas gets shell shocked and blames his disdain for French people for his poor play, Rask gets Mono and Chara straps on the pads.. ok that is just silly…

I think the “new” habs could put up a great battle against the B’s, with you on that!

• LafleurGuy says:

P.S. I’m going to speak for most Habs fan. Mats Sundin is highly respected by most of us and it would have been great to have had him on our team. 100% effort. Didn’t have the hands or speed of a Mats Naslund, but then again Little Mats didn’t have Big Mats’ size and strength. Big Mats was like a better Bobby Smith, who by the way was or was close to a first overall pick that Les Canadiens obtained by trading.

“May you live in interesting times.”

17. Psycho29 says:

I think what bothered me the most about last night’s game was the fact that the Canadiens ruined Mats Sundin night.
    Seeing the sad ex-Maple Leaf faces in the crowd, like Sundin, Roberts and Domi really upset me.
    (Do I really have to put the sarcasm smiley face thingy???)

A wonderful evening, followed with a wonderful sleep, thanks boys.

I am going to assume that Ryan White joins our lineup next week, and I am hopeful Travis Moen also rejoins our lineup next week. So what happens to make room, we start dressing 4 complete lines with only 6 dmen. Campoli played a pretty good game last night, he did make some gaffes early, but seemed to play better as the game continued and unless my eyes were failing me I think I saw him actually playing the body quite well.

So the question is, how much more showcasing does Campoli need in order to be a wanted man? Campoli cost us nothing but capspace, therefore either he gets traded for something (3rd or 4th round pick) or he starts enjoying those wonderful Bell Centre hot dogs.

I would be happy to see a 4th line of Gomez/White/Moen. The Plex/Darche/Bourque line seems to be effective at both ends of the rink. Cole/DD/MaxPac is untouchable while Eller/LL should get the services of AK back, the Eller/AK chemistry is good.

Hal Gill has played much better recently, perhaps it is the reduced miles required, but if this team is going to continue to make a Playoff Push I would like to see an effective 4th line. The tools are just about there, the return of White and Moen complete that.

I am quite excited, and oh yah time to go the watering hole this afternoon and collect from my Leaf fan friends.

CHeers.

19. LA Loyalist says:

Any day we beat the Leafs is a good day :-)

And I LOVE Emelin. We haven’t had a guy like this since Dave Manson / Rick Green.

That said, this little push may well ruin our chances of a good draft pick. How did Christopher Marlowe say it? “Hell is where we must ever be.”

Something like that. Pass the torch. Or the bottle. Whatever.

• LafleurGuy says:

Wow! Loved Manson with the Habs. And Green too!

“May you live in interesting times.”

Rick Green, Mike Lalor, Craig Ludwig it is these types of players that a quality Defence Core requires. Emelin is much like them with more offensive upside. Unfortunately, Emelin will not be able to provide the extra tool of having to fight. He suffered a significant facial injury in the KHL thus requiring a plate being put in his cheekbone (I think I am right about that?) and he must be careful as a result.

One more real physical Dman would be nice, I suspect we won’t get that until Tinordi develops.

20. Top Corner says:

Just a great day today !!!!

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Some observations:

* We’re very good when the opposition keeper is a sieve.
    * Compare Cole with Gomez to Cole with Desharnais.
    * We made up 4 points in one week. It’s definitely possible.
    * Still need to trade Gill if there’s as much interest as people say.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Only trade Gill for a 2nd rounder, if not keep him.
      Ditto for Moen

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Ditto to your comment.

____________________________________________________
        Dear Mtl Canadiens,
        Please beat Boston to tie the season series. You are about to cost me three bottles of rum in a little over a year.
        Love,
        Michael

22. --Habs-- says:

My predictions! I think Cunnyworth will be back next season! Frankly I don’t think Mr Molson gives a crap about the media or the french pressure. The temporary or interim position stated when the job was handed to Cunnyworth was to keep everyone off his back. If he starts winning it won’t matter to anyone with a brain. If he turns this team around the job is his to keep. SO far so good.

• Coach K says:

Couldn’t agree more! Perhaps Molson is smarter than the media and HIO pundits gave him credit for? After all, you don’t run a major corporation without knowing how to handle the media right?

“Shut up and play against him” – Bob Gainey (2011 Heritage Classic)

23. Bertuzzi says:

Logic and math state that Montreal will not make the playoffs. Sell high.

24. Newf_Habster says:

Know what? There is another way to get rid of Gomez: amnesty clause which will help our beloved team save a lot of money in team salary cap.

I like it much better!

25. Marc10 says:

Come on Max. 30 goals here we come!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I suggested that two games ago and got “lynched” by the usual suspects on here.. I am with you, I think he gets there!

Over 25 for Cole
      Over 20 for Bourque
      Pleks 20 gets it going and scores his 19th to open the scoring in the season finale (in a win or go home game against the Leafs) and adds his 20th on a short handed break with 15 seconds left in the 3rd!

26. Captain aHab says:

With this win streak, the folks thinking the Habs will be sellers are delusional. I think it is far, far more likely that they will soon buy a piece than sell one.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Hope not. Hold the course maybe, but it would be sad to see valuable to semi-valuable pieces (to someone else, as well as us) like Kostitsyn and Gill leave at seasons end when with no return for a futile run at making the playoffs.

That said, I don’t think you could get a similar player as Kostitsyn to come into this market for the money they’d give him.

____________________________________________________
      Dear Mtl Canadiens,
      Love,
      Michael

• Captain aHab says:

Get ready for it buddy. This team just cannot be seen as sellers. I believe they would need to be mathematically out of playoff contention before the deadline before it would happen.

As I’ve said before, the only thing they might do, if Markov is close to returning, is not buy anyone and say that Markov returning is like their big acquisition.

—————-
        McGuire for GM!
        Roy for Coach!
        Sh*t for Brains!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Somehow move Gomez (insert smiley here), get Markov back and pick up a marginal checking center who can win face offs? I guess that’s more or less all we’ve seen lately at deadline anyway eh? Would look like they’re going for it without selling the farm, but I’d still like draft picks.

____________________________________________________
          Dear Mtl Canadiens,
          Love,
          Michael

• habstrinifan says:

Ooops I forgot Markov… that would wok for me too!

• steve17 says:

I think it is the other way around, a win streak at this point of the theseason does not indicate a great team. The Habs are more the team that has struggled than the team that has won 4 in a row.It would be wrong to be fooled that they are a contender now and to hold on to the UFA’s and lose them for nothing. I don’t think moving UFA’s or some other player(s) at the deadline is throwing in the towel. If the trades are made with a look to the future and what is needed to be a strong play off team, then you make the moves. By being “sellers” you are also “buyers” By moving players to a team that has what you want for something you need, you aren’t giving up on making the playoffs.

What I don’t think, is that Gauthier is the guy to get it done! By beei

Habfan17

• LafleurGuy says:

So, if Leafies are in a playoff position as we speak, are they a better team and not in need of major changes. The Habs are as good a team in “roster make-up” as any of the Eastern Conference teams except Bruins (yuck), Rangers, Penguins, and maybe the Flyers and Capitols.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you. If we win on Monday then playoffs is possible..

I think we see the results this coming week and make some big time decisions…

Gill:
      We win 3 games.. then we are in the battle and we hang on to Gill till last possible minute.

AK46: Hate to say this folks.. and I am not talking ‘get rid of him’, but our win streak goes to 7 and someone giving good immediate consistent player for him… I say jump.

Gomez: It’s inevitable.. less and less minutes till he is pressboxed.

Weber or Campoli… same situation as AK but with lesser return value maybe.

White: welcome back and he surrounds someone like LeBlanc who we keep.

Blunden… somehow replace??

Above is my scenario based on how we do and how other teams do in the next week.

• steve17 says:

I agree with most, but not Blunden. He has shown he is what the Habs need on the 3rd line and is injured. Even if he were healthy, they would not get a good enough return. Plekanec is the interesting piece. There are teams that are legitimate contenders that have depth at positions that we need and they really want a strong 2nd line centre. If someone were to offer a solid prospect and pick that fills the needs, I would move him. With Eller, DD, LeBlanc and white , Montreal could afford to trade Pleks for a power winger that could play on the 2nd line and a pick. Detroit does very well having size on the wing and not down the middle.

Habfan17

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry I didnt wor dthe Blunden item correctly. For some reason I have it in my mind that he is done for the season… knee? I dont mean ‘replace’ as in move him. I meant replace as in get a reasonable facsimile of him so we wont miss him. But if he is gonna be back in time then great.. he has done everything we asked of him. He’s in our plans way I see it.

• habstrinifan says:

Pleks man you gotta do too much due diligence before you make that trade now… so just wait.

• habstrinifan says:

27. The Cat says:

I think RC deserves to be considered for next year simply out of mutual respect. I know the odds are he wont learn french that fast, but he did stick his neck out in a big way for this organization when it was basically a lose-lose situation for him . But knowing the habs in recent years, being a loyal soldier who performs beyond expectations is pretty much grounds for a send off, but what RC endured and persevered through, trumps language issues even to hardcore language people I would hope. It is the ideal ‘battle through adversity’ persona that you would want in a coach.

28. Les Canayens says:

Will next season’s Winter Classic feature for the 1st time a team who does not qualify for the playoffs?

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• slychard says:

Said it before will say again If the habs are out of the show they better damn well make sure to keep TO out (and be the determining factor) That my friends, is what I call, salvaging a season.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

29. savethepuck says:

I find it hilarious that the poll question has gone from 21% thinking the Habs can make the playoffs to 28% in a little over 48 hours. I wish I was the mechanic for their bandwagon, I’d made a fortune replacing the shocks. There are a number that always stay on it, but it’s the one’s that keep jumping on and off, that I can’t get over.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

30. harrow15 says:

If we keep winning I would only trade Weber and/or Campoli out of the defense and keep Gill as we will need him if we make playoffs (P.K., blocking shots and morale booster/leader).

Only forward i would trade is Kostitsyn to replace Paloosh. Keep Moen for grit/toughness and hitting, install LL in the regular lineup and hope that White/Noky and Markov make a return very soon to bolster our lineup.

Heads up, P.K.’s hip is coming.

31. savethepuck says:

Having a very hard time figuring out whether I am happier that the Habs have won 4 in a row or that they just beat the Leafs in their own barn on a ceremonial night 5-0. I repeat 5-0, 5-0,5-0. Since I’ve been one of the dreamers with playoff aspiritions, I have to go back to 4 in a row, but beating the Leafs 5-0 makes it so much sweater. Who here doesn’t think the Leafs and/or Sens are going to fall?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

32. gumper says:

“We didn’t cheat on the wrong side of people.” RC Hire this guy.

33. Da Hema says:

What should the Montreal Canadiens do now? A four-game winning streak has infused some spirit and life into the fan base — and improved the team’s chances of making a plausible run for the playoffs. Should the Canadiens begin the process of trading some of its pending UFAs? Should they consider bolstering the team by adding one or two players via trade?

My view is the Canadiens should stand pat with this current team and see what unfolds over the next 14 days. If the team reverts to its past level of play during the next two weeks, they will not make the playoffs and should trade those players who are not in the team’s future — e.g., Gill. If the Habs continue playing to their full potential, then the team has a chance to make the playoffs with its current personnel and the trade deadline is irrelevant.

In short, what the Canadiens should not do, unless someone like Jonathan Toews somehow becomes available, is go into buying mode for some kind of playoff push. Play the youngsters, and let them learn from the experience.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…absolutely …stand pat
      …do NOT hock the future !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• savethepuck says:

Wait 2 weeks to decide for sure.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• steve17 says:

I still believe that the Habs need to move some UFA’s at the deadline. Going on a 4 game win streak does not hide the fact that there are holes in the lineup and the Habs would do better for the long term future by adding more prospects and picks. As much as I’d love to see them make the playoffs, I don’t want to see them do it, and then lose all these players for nothing and, then go through the same thing for another year or more, hoping other teams lose and they squeek into the playoffs. There a some very solid prospects in the system, but when will they be ready? To those who say you don’t trade players you draft and have been important parts of the team, I say yes you do unless they are of the Crosby/Gretzky level. The job of the GM is to build the best team possible for the long term and if another team is willing to over pay at the deadline and help you accomplish that, you make the trade!

Habfan17

• G-Man says:

It’s only the 12th. There’s a lot of hockey to be played by the 27th. Wait and see.
      I’m in the stand pat and try to sign Moen and AK camp.

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

…after weeks longingly looking looking looking towards this summer’s June Draft …discouraged by My beloved yet under-achieving Habs …I was left nothing but ‘giddy’ tonight …with thoughts of Sugar Plum Faeries and visions of a Habs’ and Detroit Red Wing Stanley Cup Final dancing in My head

…I, awaiting Boone’s ALN, though, …had to stop and pinch Myself, more than once or twice, from flying on autopilot into Hockey La-La Land

…was tonight another bemused siren-call of the Hockey Gods to lure Our Habby-hopes, but to yet again these be dashed upon the jagged rocks of another ‘close, but no cigar’ ???

…thus leaving, again, the odds of adding a potential future once in a decade superstar to Our already promising Team …moot, remote and beyond Our needy finger tips ?

…Myself, with post-game giddyness :) …was temporarily torn asunder with thoughts of …Tank ! …or un-Tank ???

…then One comes to One’s senses …One realizes to One’s self that One feels eternities more unadulterated satisfaction, fun and happiness in seeing One’s Habs beating the snot out of One’s most reviled rival NOW !, today !, …than anticipating any frikkin’ ‘potential’ superstar of tomorrow
    …Go My Habs …If youse can fly with Eagles My Habs …Fly with the Eagles !!!
    …and, as Fans, We’ll be the wind beneath Your wings
    …Go Habs ! …Go !!!

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…but, if We hit another 4 game losing streak …I leave My options open to realistically leave the Eagle formation, and rejoin the flock of more realistic sparrows flying down below :)

…anyhow, for tonight …F&%$ the Tank !!!

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Un Canadien errant says:

Habitant in Surrey, the Tri-City Americans are in town March 7 to play the Giants, we could scout Patrick Holland vs. Brendan Gallagher. What do you say? We could try to rope in VancouverHab and the Dude and any other West Coast posters.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…would LOVE to meet in person Yourself, Normand, VH and The Dude …You all make Our diverse HIO community so vibrant and special

…I don’t know if You are aware, but I am a widower 65 now raising 2 young teen-agers …doing that at 65 is one thing on it’s own …but keeping up to Quent’s and Venus’ school, sports and outside activities is all-consuming

…very hard at this time to commit to a date …I know that date Quent has a basketball tournament …Venus has important commitments as well

…but, if We can find a way to trade e-mails, We can possibly find a future opportunity for Us all to get together

…and, share ‘whatever’ The Dude grows in his ‘Field o’ Dreams’ :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

35. Mr. Biter says:

Leafs go on west coast trip easily go 0-3, Sens play 2 on Florida, so if we can continue our streak and win 3 more 1 point behind Laffs 3 behind Sens (with game in hand) by next Sunday. That would be sweet.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

36. Les Canayens says:

Hey Toronto, you forgot to include this http://youtu.be/lo6C6A6e7cg?t=49s into the Sundin homage video. It’ll be so much more appropriate especially against the Habs.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭

37. Mr. Biter says:

Great night. Only thing sweeter would have been Gomez scoring. Gotta catch a 6:30 A.M flight to Vegas so will be able to catch all 3 games next week as they show all sporting events (could it have anyrhing to do with gambling?) though they will be starting early. Those Bishops, their blessings seem to have helped so I might think of turning Catholic. BTW what is our record since Cunny became coach and any thing from the RDS trolls about the Anglo coach?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• savethepuck says:

I think Cunny started his head coaching gig when the the Habs were 1 game below 500. After tonight, they are 1 game under 500 which makes him a 500 win % coach. The thing is the team lost 6 of his first 7 games on the road as Head Coach. So since then, his record is looking pretty good.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Mr. Biter says:

Make or not make the playoffs Cunny deserves to be back next. The Habs are playing much better and way more exciting hockey since he became the Head Coach. Don’t let the language police run him out of town or THe Goat fire him and save his own ass.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• savethepuck says:

The way I took what the Goat said was ” next year our head coach will be able to communicate in French to the media, and BTW Mr. Cunneyworth is taking french lessons”

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

38. bellcentre hotdog says:

Last weekend the Habs were last in the Eastern Conference.
    The season was over. They were destined to be sellers at the trade deadline.

Tonight they destroy the Leafs. The PK was again stellar. The PP scored for the second straight game. Contributions from all. And Price had his game face on.

I don’t know what to make of this team.

• Mr. Biter says:

1st goal Laffs PK allowed in 6 weeks. Even better.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• showey47 says:

How many times have the leafs been short handed over that time? Islanders coach jack capuano freaked out in a post gamer couple weeks ago when his team lost both games in a back to back against the leafs and his team never got a single PP. I’d like to know that last time something like that has happened.

• Mr. Biter says:

We got 5 penalties they got 2. Good point.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Exit716 says:

Up until the Habs PP goal, the Leafs had been short-handed a whopping 28 times since Dec. 31. Unbelievable. I guess the league really does listen to loud mouths like Burke. He did so much belly-aching about Colton Orr being forced out of the league because of the crack down on fighting that the league had to compensate somehow. I saw at least five to six obvious infractions that weren’t called on the Leafs tonight.

• Chuck says:

Just 28 powerplays against over 17 games. That’s being shorthanded 1.6 times/game. Over that same span, I’m guessing that their opposition were forced to kill off quite a few more.

• matt jordan says:

the new jersey devils have gotten a lot of calls since the NHL started paying the Zach Parise and Kovalcuk

39. savethepuck says:

From one of us who never left, welcome back Mr. Boone. This is not a bad team, this a team that had played too many bad games and played too many lacklustre 3rd periods for reasons beyond our comprehension. Imagine the standings if they had of won only 3 or 4 of the 8 or 9 games that they let go for some reason. I was in a partners pool tournament all day that ended just as the Sundin Ceremony was going on. I wathced the first period until there was a little less than 3 minutes left and our drive showed up to go to a friends house to watch the game. Got to the friends house and the power was out. WOW are you Kidding me( you know there were a lot more expletives than that)? I said no prob as long as the powere comes back on before RDS EXpress and nobody I was with in NB knew what I was talking about. Power comes on 10 minutes before midnight ( ATLANTIC) and 25 minutes later I get to watch the whole game. What a treat, who’s suppossed to be the playoff team here? SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyy
    \
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

40. Un Canadien errant says:

A Toronto Sun article comparing Leaf greats to the Canadiens’. Before you scoff, it’s actually well-written and logical.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

41. habs17 says:

we could be witnessing history letsnjust watch and enjoy the ride wherever it take’s us

I support Scott Gomez

Flames desperately need D. Come on PG… Campoli, Weber… get a first rounder from Calgary for these 2 :)

Kipper is seriously saving Flame’s asses right now.

Did any body notice that Komisarek was a healthy scratch (I know I didn’t)? For the 6th game in a row as well.

45. habs17 says:

just a small town girl livin in a lonley world, she took the midnight train going anywhere, just a

I support Scott Gomez

So everyone here seems to want AK to stay. Personally, i think I couldn’t care less either way. I haven’t seen AK do anything spectacular as of late however he doesn’t do anything particularly stupid either. He is just there but like not there. I think his contribution can be easily replaced. Whether he will become anything more than what he already is … I doubt it. Maybe we should trade him to Calgary for Cammalleri.

• habstrinifan says:

Watched AK over last few games. I agree he is maligned a lot but he does not seem to have responded to the new dynamism of the team… he is still on coast. He and Gomez are behind Leblanc and maybe even Palushaj now and I would definitely want White amd Blunden in ahead of either of them. Too bad cause AK has reasonable numbers all his career..but….
      If this streak gets serious, as Bertuzzi said it would, then a trade involving AK may bring us a huge return.

Gomez… he is sideline material… irrelevant.

• slychard says:

That last line is signature Timo dude, you realize anything Timo on this site is copyright? Did you get permiss…oh Timo, it’s you. Sorry, I thought it was Tymo. My bad. Just looking out for your interest.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

47. Un Canadien errant says:

Nothing’s ever easy with this team, is it? Mr. Gauthier was getting ready to have a clearance sale, but now he’s not sure if he wants to open the doors and let the shoppers run wild. And now I have to race HH to ensure I get my seat back on the bandwagon.

This is the kind of team we expected at the start of the season: disciplined, hard-working, fast, effective on special teams, blessed with elite goaltending. We thought they’d beat the cellar-dwellers, and put up a good fight against the powerhouses. The Leafs and Bruins would draw the best out of the Good Guys.

The game started late, due to a ceremony to honour the Nordiques-Leafs-Canucks great Mats Sundin. The great who never took them to a Cup or even a final, who never scored 50 goals or won a scoring championship or a Hart trophy or a Lady Bing or a First Team All-Star. Apparently the rift caused by Leaf management who had insisted that he waive his no-trade-clause for the last two seasons of his stay in Toronto was smoothed over. The Leaf fans also decided to forget about the scorn and vitriol they heaped on their captain for wanting to play in their city, as his contract guaranteed him the right to. It was a nice affair, everyone appeared to be smiling as I fast-forwarded my PVR.

The only thing more halting and ponderous than the first ten minutes of the game was the play-by-play from Bob Cole. You could hear him hesitating and slowing his delivery as he peered at the ice trying to differentiate between Raphaël Diaz and David Desharnais, shuffled through his notes, fumbled through his pockets for his glasses before realizing they were on top of his head, and grew more distracted as he tried to remember if he’d left the lawn sprinkler on. All the while, in his reserved parking stall in the bowels of the New Gardens, his car’s left turn signal indicator blinked on and off. Mr. Cole has had a great career, and he will be missed when he retires, which should happen immediately. There are probably 20 play-by-play announcers in the country who are ready and able to replace him, and would jump at the opportunity, and they would provide the viewers with a better experience. I decided tonight that I’ll watch RDS in standard definition rather than HNIC in HD in the future if I have to endure Mr. Cole.

At least Mr. Cole had the good sense to scrap his Leaf-centered script when things fishtailed on them. He was calling the game as if it was a Toronto local broadcast, but after a few goals by those guys in white he started to notice them and described what he saw.

Mathieu Darche attracted some positive feedback from Gary Galley and Glenn Healey, and he played another strong game. Midway through the first, as a Leaf found himself with the puck and no one in front to block a probable quality shot at the net, Mathieu reached in on a good backcheck effort and prevented the shot. He received less icetime than the last couple of games, but he put in 18 strong minutes, including six on the Canadiens flawless penalty kill. His breakaway goal in the third was the cherry on the sundae: provided with the puck thanks to two great passes, from Carey Price to Tomas Plekanec to him, he streaked in and didn’t overthink, but just corralled the puck, looked at the net and sniped the top corner. Mathieu often tries too hard when he gets such a chance gift-wrapped on his stick. This time he reacted as a hockey player should.

There was much gnashing of teeth early on in the season when fans thought that Mr. Darche shouldn’t be on the roster, especially since he didn’t score for the first fifteen games or so. Cooler heads explained that he had a role to play on this team and would finish the season with 5 to 10 goals as expected for a player like him. It’s good to see him back on track and contributing to the success of the team. He’s one of the good guys and deserves our support.

As I’ve explained in the last few games, I’ve been encouraged by the change in attitude and the improvement in play from P.K. Subban. He seems to be trying to pattern his play after Chris Chelios rather than Claude Lemieux or Ken Linseman, and that’s a big plus. Tonight he played a simple, physical, effective style. He didn’t hog the puck, start fights he didn’t finish, or mug for the referees or engage his coaches in a debate, all big pluses. About eight games ago I said I was giving up on him and wanted, like Selma Bouvier, a separation, but after watching the report on his younger brothers and seeing how he is with his whole family, if he bought me flowers I might fall in love all over again.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• AliHaba says:

Why don’t you have Boone’s job?

• slychard says:

The beauty of the internet, Mr. Errant, (sorry I PG’d on you) Is that you can choose which broadcast to view. I used to visit my friend here in Key West with the hockey package. What a frustrating experience. Especially having to listen to Jack know nothing Edwards spew his homer vitriol “get up! Get up!” The hockey package here in the states prevents you at all times from getting anything but the opposition broadcast for the habs. HNC being the closest you can get and we all know what that is. So. That always prevented me from getting that package. This season I found habsonlinetv.blogspot.com Not only can you choose which broadcast, but it’s free. I’ve been RDS since and what a Godsend. Not only are they the most enjoyable group of broadcasters to listen to but probably the most professional in the entire NHL. Non biased and non Edwards. Go for it Mr. Errant, you won’t regret it.

By the way the bandwagon HH line will have me up all night from constant giggles.

Just so you know, I like your input, just not when I feel you get flippant. (If you remember) Cheers!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

No grudges slychard. Your avatar buys you a lot of goodwill.

Unfortunately, I’m a prisoner to Shaw Cable if I want HD programming in my townhouse complex. Bell Satellite and Telus TV are, respectively, not available in HD, and unavailable period. Not a big deal, I hate them all equally, but unfortunately, Shaw doesn’t provide RDS in HD in my region, despite the ‘customer is always right’ rant I subject their hapless customer service reps to.

I may break down and explore ways to get an internet HD signal to my 50 inch plasma. Fuzzy RDS or Bob Cole alternatives are getting old.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• slychard says:

LOL to myself. I think that avatar has given me a ‘pass do not go to jail’ card on several occasions. If we get to the summit this next season I definitely buy a round.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• savethepuck says:

Say what you may against Bob Cole when the Habs are playing the Leafs, but when the Habs are playing another team on HNIC I find that Bob Cole is probably the only one on the CBC team that doesn’t sound like he hopes the Habs fail or bashes or critizes them like a team that everyone hates. I think that no matter how senile he may be or how many mistakes he makes, he is the only one left on the CBC broadcast team that realizes that not everyone that watches HNIC is a Leafs fan. I personally regret he’s getting old and having a hard time following the play-by-play as well as he used to.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• matt jordan says:

nice analysis, except you are wrong about Bob Cole.

Jim Hughson can call Vancouver games, Bob Cole is the best in the business, by FAR

48. smiler2729 says:

Leafs suck.

45 years and counting…

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

49. G-Man says:

To dream
    The impossible dream.
    To reach
    The unreachable spot.
    To play
    In the 2012 playoffs.
    To drive
    HardHabits to drink.
    To curse
    At his tank all haywire
    To see
    The laffs falling
    To hope
    Once again for the dream.

Awesome night. Everyone showed up after a lackluster 1st. Price showed poise and a calm in the crease. Good for him he got a point, too. That was probably Bourque’s best as a Hab. The Swedish Chef being posted and a poster repeating “Bourque, Borque.” Coincidence? You decide.
    The Apocalyptic 2012 Streak™ continues…

50. Chuck says:

Nice to see a photo of the guy wearing ’67’ driving a nail into the Leafs’ coffin tonight. How appropriate!

51. FlyingFrenchie says:

Judging by the dame with the frame…I can see why young Matts retired early.
    The real loser of course, is Matt’s hairstylist, who was forced into early retirement.

52. NLhabsfan says:

Great game they are playing with a lot of confidence which I hope continues.

53. slychard says:

A blow-out AND shut-out to top the sunday. What a great feeling. If we ain’t making the show you ain’t making the show. Got that? TORONTO. I missed the game due to work, but I’m home now and going to watch the re-run on line. This is just too mind blowing, Gomez scored last game and now they do this. EXCELLENT!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• matt jordan says:

there’s been a few big cool highlights this season. Eller’s four goal game, pasting Detroit at home, THE GOAL OF THE AGES (Gomez), and hammering the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada. I’ll never forget Mats Sundin Night.

So every time Boone needs to upload an article site is unavailble?

Sigh. Habs.

55. habs17 says:

I will always love you whitney, my favorite singer

I support Scott Gomez

56. JIMVINNY says:

To make the playoffs, they’ll have to be one of the best in the league down the stretch. If they manage it, well, I sure wouldn’t want to be the team they play in the first round. Bruins, I’m looking at you….

57. stevieray says:

SWEET !!!!! Phanuel IS overated

58. RS says:

Well that was fun. The Habs rained on their parade and ruined Hockey Night in Toronto.

Palushaj and LL both looked good. I thought it was Palushaj’s best game as a Hab. He just might have a future in the NHL. I’m not getting excited about this year, but I like this team and think they will be pretty good next year (and for a while after).

59. Corson27 says:

Go Habs Go
    Nothing like beating the Leafs.

60. Nobody says:

First comment. Nice to beat the Laffs but probably Better off selling and going for a draft pick. Or maybe have faith that the Church is on our side…

61. savethepuck says:

pretty funny

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

62. Da Hema says:

I can only presume you forgot Geoff Molson stated publicly that Cunneyworth will not be the head coach next season. I think Molson is a royal dickhead, but he calls the shots.

63. Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Molson said no such thing. He stated that being able to speak French is an important qualification for a candidate and would be considered for the permanent hire.

All Mr. Cunneyworth has to do is run a few hockey school camps this summer in Québec, places like Lac St-Jean where no one spick Henglish, and he’ll pick up French in no time.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think that would change 180 degrees DH …IF the Canadiens show They are responding for Randy
    …I don’t think Geoff was absolute that Randy won’t be back …I think what Molson said was that Cunneyworth has to show interest and progress to learn basic French to honey relations with the Our market
    …all francophones want to see is some effort from RC to communicate passably in French
    …if that is doable, I think if Randy is also showing to be a good Coach for the Canadiens, the language issue will be muted

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

65. savethepuck says:

think he said the Habs coach would be able to speak some french next season, and on a side note Mr. Cunneyworth is taking some Frenc lessons

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

66. koivu4pm says:

Ugh. You are a monster!

67. shootdapuck says:

It would be interesting to see Mcguire without his “research department fact sheets” tele-prompting his perceived vast hockey knowledge.

He is like these so called psychics who pick up on what you want to hear and keep feed the same BS.

He’s a media talking head and you think with 30 NHL teams around someone wouldn’t have already recognized his “huge talents” in the past what 12-15 years?

Wonder why?
    =================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’ya pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid local”

68. Da Hema says:

I stand corrected. You are right Molson never explicitly said Cunneyworth will be gone. Molson stated: “Although our main priority remains to win hockey games and to keep improving as a team, it is obvious that the ability for the head coach to express himself in both French and English will be a very important factor in the selection of the permanent head coach.”

What I should have written is that there is little chance Cunneyworth will be retained as head coach even if he becomes passably fluent in French. The Montreal Canadiens haven’t had a head coach born outside of Quebec (with the exceptions of Bob Gainey and currently Cunneyworth) in 40 years.

With this in mind, what leads you to believe Cunneyworth will be the head coach next season even if he becomes bilingual?

69. Da Hema says:

Habitant: as I wrote above to Un Canadien, “The Montreal Canadiens haven’t had a head coach born outside of Quebec (with the exceptions of Bob Gainey and currently Cunneyworth) in 40 years.” So, again, what leads you to believe Cunneyworth will be the head coach next year?

70. Trisomy 21 says:

Only a 70% win ratio, so it’s not that long of a shot. But these guys can’t afford to fall into any downward spirals again or show any glimpses of the team they’ve been for most of the season.
    Then again we have to consider the fact TB is playing better and Washington is still Washington; and they still have potential to be a good team.

71. slychard says:

You sit comfortably in your seat on the sea plane as it makes it’s descent. In your mind floats anticipation for the coming exploits within your journey. Exotic women, (Beautiful hopefully and for the most part, loose) And from out of nowhere you think to hear this weirdly scraggly voice call out…”the plane! The plane!” You are there.

You step off the plane and are greeted by this suave gentleman (Jean Belliveau) accompanied by this unsettlingly odd caricature of a person (Gomez) and begin to feel trepidation. What have I got myself into you think.

Belliveau greets you with a genuine “welcome to the island of Montreal, dude, fantasy island” as he nods to Gomer with a smile and pats him on the head. If you pay close attention you might detect the wink.

As they escort you to your room the hab fan in you shakes the absurd situation from your mind and brave to ask, ( Belliveau, not his sidekick)

Do the habs have a chance to make the playoffs?

Belliveau, in that classy, no nonsense style of his, turns to you and says.
    The devils were dead in the water until they hired Lemaire back, took him 10 games before doing something never thought before. Incredible win percentage streak. They fell short, yes, but what a run. They kept their dignity intact, didn’t they. That;s what the habs are doing. Will they reach the grail? perhaps. Perhaps not. But it’s fun to watch. Fock the tanker talkers. Middle of the pack brings more in the long run. I scoff at Edmonton.

Then He settles you into the room. Actually tucks you in. Gives a kiss on your forehead. And off you go into lala land.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

72. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’winning’ makes Me think that Francophones will recognize a ‘good thing’ when They see it
    …it will all come down to whether Randy shows He is ‘a winner’ first …second, He shows credible effort to learn to communicate in some respectful way to Our Habs’ majority market

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

73. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t think he stood a chance when the team was nose-diving. He was being criticized by the “Antichambre trolls”, as someone put it earlier in this thread, for not ruling with an iron hand, and holding short practices, or even no practices, which some ex-coaches thought was nonsensical seeing as the Canadiens were fading in the third period of games, a sign of lack of conditioning. Now that the team seems to be responding, buying in to his approach of treating them like adults, they are very complimentary of his methods, and I have to agree. A coach is judged by his results.

If he puts out the effort and learns enough French to do the regular two-minute interview on RDS, I think he has a good chance of staying, provided the team continues to respond to his methods.

I know a lot of posters deride the idea of a francophone coach, but as a kid when I was growing up, it meant so much to me to see Bob Gainey, Ken Dryden, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, and Scotty Bowman speaking French on La Soirée du Hockey. It meant these guys were on my team, on my side, they belonged and I belonged. It has a huge impact. If Mr. Molson takes the very long view, having an organization that can speak to its young fans directly will create another generation of die-hard, lifelong fans. This isn’t a superficial consideration guys, it’s visceral, for 80% of the market in Québec.

Now if only Carey and Erik Cole could flirt with Chantal in French….

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

74. Da Hema says:

If Geoff Molson were half as thoughtful as you, Un Canadien, I would have some reason to find your arguments compelling. Instead what I see is an owner who has sanctioned organizational nepotism and administrative incompetence.

75. Habitant in Surrey says:

…trade Plecky ??? …nutz !
    …to repeat what I have said before, Tomas Plekanec is this generation of Our Habs’ Guy Carbonneau …would You have traded Guy Carbonneau back in the day ?
    …if You would have, You would fit quite comfortably in the pantheon of Rejean Houle-type GMs

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

76. slychard says:

My parents traded my 3rd grade teacher for… Sorry, it’s still kept under provincial judicial secrecy. Let’s just say I was a man waaaaaay before most.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

77. Les Canayens says:

They did trade Carbonneau after his middle finger to a newspaper photographer.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭

78. Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah yeah yeah, who cares about all that. What I want to know is who is the guest star? Barbi Benton? Judy and Audrey Landers? Loni (gulp) Anderson?!

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

79. Chris says:

Okay, but the teams looking to acquire Plekanec are not likely to be in a position to draft McKinnon next season. The Kessel-Seguin/Hamilton trade is a little too fresh in the minds of any GM’s whose teams are sitting close to the cutoff line, and the teams in the top 4 or 5 don’t often fall to the bottom of the standings.

80. habstrinifan says:

Something tells me you were a hard student for that teacher.

81. solomio says:

No way are you correct in saying that. No way. Stanley Cup playoffs are way way different . You cannot compare having to win 70% of your remaining regular season games to 4 straight 7 game series. Not even close.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein