About last night … with audio

Desharnais
Your last-place Montreal Canadiens threw a scare into a playoff contender.
It was Tyler Night in Buffalo as the Sabres got two two goals from Tyler Ennis and the winner, in overtime, by Tyler Myers.
For long stretches of the game, the Canadiens looked like what they are, a tired team wrapping up a road trip with very little to play for.
Then Peter Budaj, who was brilliant, was pulled for a sixth attacker … and things got interesting.

Check Randy Cunneyworth’s choice of personnel for the frantic effort that produced the tying goal:

• Tomas Plekanec, who had centred the Canadiens’ best line in Vancouver but was bumped back down to playing with the indefatigable, if minimally skilled, Ryan White and the enigmatic Rene Bourque, who finished the game with no hits or shots on goal.

• Erik Cole, who opened the scoring with his 26th of the season, matching his total a year ago in Carolina, and Max Pacioretty, who had missed most of the second period with an ankle injury.

• P.K. Subban and Andrei Markov, who made quick-witted plays on the puck as the Canadiens scrambled to generate some last-minute pressure on Ryan Miller. No surprise there with P.K.: 23:18 ToI for the Canadiens best defenceman. But Markov, who played a few seconds less than the 17 minutes he logged in Vancouver, had a rough night in Buffalo. He was on for every Sabres goal and looked … well, like a guy who missed most of two seasons – on Ennis’s first one.

• David Desharnais, who was hurt in Edmonton, played five minutes against the Oilers, missed the Vancouver game and bounced back in Buffalo, setting up Cole for hihis Cole and scoring the one that sent the game into OT and secured the Canadiens a fifth point – of a possible eight – on this long, gruelling and – let’s be candid – meaningless road trip.

Those were the Canadiens’ on-ice jersey numbers when the red-light flashed on at 19:55: 14, 76, 79, 72, 67 and 51.

And those are the names that will carry this team going forward.

It’s a tribute to their dedication that the aforementioned players had that much left in the tank at the end of a cross-continental road trip.

And credit for 33 stops and no chance on the Buffalo goals. Were the goaltender anything less than stellar, no way this game goes to OT.

I’ll be honest: Having travelled back from Vancouver on the red-eye, I dozed off about three times during the game. So this will be an incomplete summary of what went down.

But on the occasions when my eyes were open, they were watching a dominant performance by the home team. The Sabres needed two points to keep their playoff hopes on track, and they took it to the tired Canadiens pretty good for most of the evening.

In order to protect Markov and manage his minutes, Cunneyworth dressed seven defenceman. And as was the case in Vancouver, Chris Campoli played major minutes.  Low men on the ToI pole were Yannick Weber and Emelin, who was minus-2 in 15:49 and had Ennis’s second goal tick in off his stick as he scrambled to cover the odd-man rush created by Markov being caught up the ice.

On L’Antichambre, Guy Carbonneau was angry about the lack of intensity displayed by too many of the Canadiens. Carbo sees the futility of a lost season taking its toll on players who mailed one in.

He didn’t name any names, but Bourque was invisible and the kids, Blake Geoffrion and Louis Leblanc, didn’t contribute much.

Lars Eller played almost 20 minutes and was a team-worst minus-3. He was on for Myers’ winning goal.

There is no rest for this road-weary team.

The Buffalo game launched a week in which the Canadiens will play four games in six nights, including home and home with the Senators and – get your tickets early – a Saturday night class of the Also-Rans that has the Islanders visiting the Bell Centre.

Seriously people. Line combos? My advice. Go play NHL12.

As if anybody knows what the roster will be next season. And really. Who cares right now. There are more pressing matters at hand. Like getting a higher draft pick than Toronto.

2. gumper says:

If no free agent signings, other than Moen, lineup could look like this next year.

Cole DD Patches
    Eller Pleks Gio
    Babyboom Gomer Bourque
    Moen White Staubs
    Darche LL Paloosh (Extra at each position)

(Eller is a left shooter, so might convert nicely to LW)

Markov Suby
    Gorges Emelin
    Kabs Diaz

Extra Weber

Call me crazy, but I’m not hating that lineup. With some luck around injuries, steady linemates for Pleks and a couple of guys shucking off this year’s bad Karma, I could see us going middle of the pack with this setup. I agree with those saying we need another big stay at home D to babysit Kabs, and that’s likely doable, but as far as forwards go, I’m not really liking what I see amongst FAs, so might just be best to cruise through another mediocre year, get a reasonably high pick, dump Gomer after next year, and sign a forward or two in ’13 when the pool is deeper.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that someone like Gallagher, Tinordi or Beaulieu could graduate directly to the big team, but I don’t think that’s likely, and other than the aforementioned Paloosh and LL, I’m not seeing much help coming out of Hamilton next year.

• habs-fan-84 says:

If we even have an average PP next year, we’ll be a considerably better team

• slamtherimtim says:

Gomer cant last another year , had he played better this year mabe , but its at the point where the club needs to do it because the fans are asking , been watching games with a lot of empty seats , cant believe they are really selling out , lots of tickets left if you check out the site

• nbsjfan says:

ok, I’ll call you crazy – remember you asked for it. Any Habs lineup with Scott Gomez in it is fiction. Also, I’d have a look at the lines after DD’s line:
      Eller Pleks Gio
      Babyboom Gomer Bourque
      Moen White Staubs
      Darche LL Paloosh

Scary is all I’d have to say about that. A whole lot of nothing after Pleks and Eller. Don’t get me wrong, a 4th line of White, Moen and Staubitz would be a great 4th line but you gotta have some secondary scoring after the first line and it ain’t in that line up.

LL is a better player right now than Geoffrion and also has more upside. Also, depending on the coaching/GM situation if indeed Gomez is coming back, I still think he starts at 4th line center and they allow Eller to develop at his natural center position. Eller is far less effective as a winger.

• Bripro says:

So if I understand you, you have Eller as 3rd line center, Gomez on 4th, and LL as a 4th line wingman….right?
        Isn’t that how RC has it now? …not too strong these days, Gerry.

I don’t know where exactly LL fits, but I know I think he is better than Geoffrion right now. I also don’t want to see Eller moved from center, and Gomez does not deserve to be higher than a 4th line center for this team right now. And by the way, RC has little to work with these days, thus the reason this team is 3rd worst in the NHL presently.

• HabsFan1111 says:

I like the look of those lines as well (except I’d put Marky-Emelin as 2nd pairing and Gorges-Subby 1st).

I say let the kids season a little in Hamilton, should be quite a talented lineup for the Dogs next year.

• 24 Cups says:

gumper – I’m pretty frustrated right now as a Hab fan so don’t take it personally if I come across as being negative.

- Moen is an UFA so until he signs I don’t count him as part of any future plans.

- Except for Markov and half of Gionta’s year, this is basically the same line-up that shite the bed this season. Not good enough for me.

- I’m not happy moving the one guy (Eller) who could be a really good centre over to the wing just to give Gomez another try. Gomez has to go.

- there’s not much size or toughness on the defense. It’s basically Emelin and Subban (who should use his size for other things as well as giving out some hits).

- LW is still a bit of an issue seeing that Geoffrion is a maybe and Pleks and Gionta don’t have a LW. Even more so if Moen doesn’t re-sign.

- one or two injuries next year and this team is once again a bottom-feeder.

- are the Habs going to develop Leblanc and/or White as centres or are they going to play on the RW? If they play RW then that means Palushaj’s time is up and Staubitz is a place holder at best. It also means we need to shop for a decent, experienced 4th line centre.

Steve, I think we have earned the right to be frustrated with how this season has gone. To me the emergence of Emelin and hopefully the healthy return of Markov are my highlights along with MaxPac/DD/Cole.

Everything else has been a nightmare.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m still unsure about Emelin. Yeah he hits, but he still seems a bit unsure of where to be on the ice and he has zero offence. In fact I think his play has been quite poor recently. He seems to be on the ice every time the other team scores.

The big story on defence is PK. We all knew he had flash but recently he has added a solidity and reliability that make me think he’ll be a Norris candidate sooner than later.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

24 cups, your post is right on.

on the last pgh:

leblanc should be a center, white should be on the wing.

leblanc will start impressing people carrying the puck, carrying the play through the neutral zone, and then making very good, creative decisions over the offensive blue line and in the offensive zone.

white will be most useful on a heavy forecheck and going hard to the net for rebounds.

lets hope the habs brass gets their heads out of their rear ends and starts making the right pro development calls.

because., to put it mildly, this has not been a habs’ strong suit.

3. Willy says:

So Sid is coming back on Thursday. Really hope it’s for good this time and man are the Pens gonna be tough to beat if Sid and Letang can stay healthy through the playoff run

• 24 Cups says:

Spot on, Willy. We all need to park our Hab allegiances and wish this guy the best of luck. He is still the premier talent in the league and I hope that he has a long and fruitful career.

If Letang returns, the Pens will be ready to rock and roll.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed. The Pens may have tanked for years, nut that isn’t Sid’s fault.

Besides if the Pens make it out of the conference that means Boston and Philly didn’t.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. shiram says:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Would you have given Hamrlik his 2 years at 3.5millions?
    Re-signed Wiz at 5.5millions for 6 years?
    Re-sign Mara or Sopel?
    Re-sign Halpern?

• habs-fan-84 says:

Re-sign Mara and Sopel, let the rest walk.

• Strummer says:

Mara and Sopel aren’t even in the NHL any more.
        I don’t think either would have led us out of the EC basement this year

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habs-fan-84 says:

I know. Mara is now coaching. I also didn’t say they would lead us out of the EC basement. However, I’d still prefer both Mara and Sopel over Weber and Campoli.

• kempie says:

First question is the hardest. I think I’ll have to go with no, but I would have thought about it. Hamr’s been worse than expected so, like you say, in hindsight, it’s much easier. But he would have been better than Kabernac at $4.25.

I’d have offered Wiz 4.5 for 5 years (and maybe they did make a similar offer). Even that’s a bit much but he was a good fit.

Sopel was done so no. Mara? I’d still sign Mara right now.

Halpern, definitely. Before him, Metro as well. I wonder who will wear #15 next year.

• RGM says:

I would have at least seen what it would take to keep Wiz in Montreal for a couple years well before the 7/1 free agency period.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• 24 Cups says:

shiram – No way. Way too much money for a +35 player who’s near the end of the line.
      We had no hope of re-signing the Wiz and he would have been crazy not to take the most money available to him.
      I’d rather have Diaz or Weber. At least they might develop or eventually get moved for a mid level pick. Campoli is better than Sopel.
      Not signing a decent 4th line centre was a real blunder. Trying to pick up Betts is proof of that.

5. habstrinifan says:

I havent seen ladoceur’s game report card for a few games. Guess he’s on springbreak.

6. Bripro says:

OK, so I let the sight run loose this morning, knowing there would be discussions on trades or tanking in one form or another.
    So we’re back to talks about trading Pleks.
    Some say they wouldn’t pick him up, given his salary.
    All I have to say to that is, given your short-sightedness, boy are we lucky they picked BG as GM instead of you.

7. shootdapuck says:

Must be a severe weather warning for Montreal!

Windbag Marinaro is blowing like an F4 Tornado!

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• shiram says:

Oh neat so the temperature will rise from all that hot air.

• Propwash says:

It’s too bad nobody can call Marinaro, and tell him how full of it he is, all he will do is hang up.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Bripro says:

*990 will get you to him.
        Wait between noon and 1:00 for Randy Tieman to come on.
        Randy is gracious enough that he’ll give you the time of day.
        You can then complain about what a winbag Marinaro is, and if you don’t want to tell him who you are, you can give him mine as an alias.
        Happy to oblige.

• slamtherimtim says:

other than the morning show and Mitch , the station needs to make some changes , dont know how many people listen in the morning on the weekend , but that group is just as bad as Marinaro , at least PJ Stock is no longer there

8. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Did I miss the memo explaining why Gazette articles are no longer linked in HIO?

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• boing007 says:

If you’re having problems reading other sports articles and such just click on the article, then quickly copy and paste it to a text editor and there you go, Bob’s your uncle.

Richard R

9. third generation haber says:

Great posts as always, I have a few thoughts on a few of them.

1. Tanking:
    Doesn’t need to be a deliberate act. Playing Budaj in half of the games, rolling four lines, mixing the lines, and giving different players opportunities on special teams are all good experiments for next year. This has nothing to do with not trying and may produce interesting results.

2. Bourque:
    He’s a one dimensional shooter, so let’s give him what he needs, a guy who loves to pass. DD and Bourque should play together! Pleks on the top line makes good sense in-terms of his skill and salary and he can cover-up on defence when Cole and Pacs get caught up ice.

3. Grigorenko:
    Craig Button’s new list rates him #7. Some scouts say he doesn’t belong in the top 20 b/c he doesn’t compete hard against good teams. McKinnon made him look bush league recently. Forsberg and Galchenyuk are the forwards in the top 10 we should be looking at it.
    PLEASE!!!! Gainey, stay out of it and let Timmins do his job (Reference to Kostitsyn being drafted over Getzlaf)

3. Markov
    It’s great to have him back even if the rust shows. Even with him in the line-up, I feel we need to acquire one big physical D-man to make our crease a no-parking zone. We are simply too soft on D to survive a play-off series.

j.p. murray

10. TorontoHabsFan says:

With the emergence of Desharnais I really wouldn’t be all that surprised to see Plekanec traded at the draft to move up and draft one of the higher end forwards (Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg). I love Plekanec and think he brings a lot more to the table than he’s given credit for – but his price tag is pretty hefty if the Desharnais line is to be getting the top minutes.

I think we could realistically see a roster that’s something like this:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole (naturally)
    UFA? – Eller-Gionta (time to see if Eller can play 2nd line)
    Bourque-Draft Pick-Leblanc (LL will be next year’s Eller)
    Moen-White-Staubitz

Extras: Palushaj, Geoffrion, Weber, Nokelainen (or a suitable F/O guy)

Markov-Subban
    Gorges-Emelin
    Kaberle-Stay at Home UFA
    Diaz/Campoli

Depending on who we can get to play 2nd line LW (AK redux?), that’s not a bad squad – heck just a full season of Markov would’ve given us at least 10 extra PP goals!

• shiram says:

That 3rd line center better be a beast if they trade Plekanec.

• third generation haber says:

Given Pleks contract, I don’t think any team would take him.

Being a Habs fan I’m well aware that he’s probably the best penalty-killing forward in hockey, but the fact that he’s never on the top offensive line makes his stats too low to gain recognition throughout the league.

j.p. murray

• habbernack says:

Plec hasn’t had steady linemates since he played with AK and Kovy for a full season. The AK ,Plec and Cammi line was doinbg great till JM started bouncing everthing around to get Gomez going. Then when the Eller, AK, Moen line was jelling that line was broken up. During the time he played with AK and Kovy was both Plec and AK most poductive year. Maybe if he could play with a couple of good wingers for a whole year his production would go up

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
      attitude determines how you do it

• Strummer says:

The point is anyone ahead of the Habs in the draft -Columbus, Edmonton,- or any of NYI, Carolina, Minnesota would NOT be interested in Pleks @$5 million for 4 more years.
        _____________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

That makes NO sense. Especially Columbus who’s goal diff is astoundingly bad. I would say that they NEED a Pleks on their team first and foremost, bearing in mind that he is not JUST a defensive specialist.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• Strummer says:

They are in salary dumping mode- Carter, Nash.
            Acquiring another long term contract like Pleks wouldn’t appear to fit in thier plan.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mick says:

Plec has a no trade clause.

• DearyLeary says:

Trade Desharnais while his stock is high. He’s been sheltered all season long by winning the Winger Lottery. Having two power forward 30 goal scorers on your wing would make anyone look good.

And just in case people think that it’s Desharnais making them look good, reference our last two wins without Desy. Who scored? Patches and Cole.

Sheltering Desharnais among the trees has inflated his points total. Keeping Eller and Plekanec would be far more beneficial long term for Montreal (and since we’re looking at a 2 year rebuild I’d say that’s long term).

In two years I’m expecting the forward (because at the spot Montreal’s picking you can afford to draft to your needs) that Montreal drafts to be in the linuep, along with Nathan Beaulieu and Jarred Tinordi. The team starts looking a lot better when you start thinking along the lines of:

Pacioretty – Girgorenko/Galchenyuk – Gionta/Gallagher (we’ll see who’s playing better, and Gionta might still have value)
      (Gomez’s free agent money) – Plekanec – Cole
      (Thin on left wings, and I’m not willing to commit to Bourque long term) – Eller – Leblanc
      White on the fourth line with some spare parts.

Markov – Subban
      Gorges – Tinordi
      Beaulieu – Free agent

Guys like Ellis and Dietz can work in Hamilton and we’ll track development as needed.

That’s my two year projection. There are holes that will need to be filled, but not overly big ones. We’ve got two potential thirty goal scorers in both Pacioretty and Cole, and if Gallagher can develop into a reliable scorer along with our #1 pick this year that gives a pretty potent attack across three lines (assuming Leblanc and Eller continue their development, which I see no reason for them to have an abrupt end to their upside).

11. Mattyleg says:

Heya ever’body!

Gloomy day, gloomy guy.
    Very disappointed with Bourque overall and last night in particular.

If you know me at all, you’ll know that I don’t pick out individual players for critique or finger-pointing, but I am getting pretty tired of seeing Bourque doing nothing game-in-game-out.

Some people felt the same way about AK, but, as I pointed out, AK was 4th on the team in hits.
    Bourque leaves a lot to be desired, and I hope he pulls his finger out for next season.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

Given the crapstorm he walked into, I’m not that surprised. I’m not sure that I see things as gloomily as you, but it strikes me that Bourque is one of those ‘role’ players.
      He needs to be coached and his role on this team clearly defined.
      I suspect he’ll be fine next year…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

12. naweed235 says:

hopefully we can keep Gomez just so his presence on this team can reel us in Z. Parise!

Here are my UCe style line combos:

Mr. Pacioretty – Mr. Desharnais – Mr. Cole
    Mr. Bourque – Mr. Plekanec – Mr. Leblanc
    Mr. White – Mr. Eller – Mr. Staubitz

I think Mr. Budaj should get more starts

Mr. Halak is better than Mr. Price.

I also like Mr. Subban with Mr. Markov on the PP

However Mr. Gorges and Mr. Subban make a better pair.

I can’t stand Mr. Kaberle and Mr. Campoli though.
    Mr. Weber is not an NHLer.

We only have to win another game and we will move up 3 more positions in the standings ahead of NYI and Carolina, and out of the draft sweepstakes.

• Cardiac says:

Indeed… I can see us splitting the games between the Sens and winning on Saturday. But with this team, you never know. How could be have predicted the outcome of the Vancouver game?

- Jerry Maguire

There is always the chance they will win their games Ian!

15. Strummer says:

Given the terrible year this team has had I would be careful in trying to evaluate any particular player based on their perfomance this past season.

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

Yo are right re downgrading a player’s value based on this season. But management should already have determined the main positional needs going into next season. Way I see it they need a big stay at home take no nonsense D-MAN (basicaly a younger meaner as responsible but better skating version of Hal Gill); they need someone who will affect an increase in scoring, either a big winger who can add 20 goals on his own and impact for another 30 maybe or a playmaking centre who’s big and skilled. They need other pieces but those to me are the priorities. And you can already identify a few players who MUST be moved to make room for above.

• Strummer says:

You’ve identified a number of pieces you feel need attention however none of these changes will be of any consequence unless the coaching/mangement questions are solved.

I believe that to be the most critcal area requiring improvement. __________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

16. shiram says:

Pottymonster : I’d like to see Bourque on the third because the Habs are low on top end talent, if they can have 3 legitimate scoring lines, they can compensate for their lack of talent, with depth.
    As for Bourque being a second liner on any team, well maybe, but he needs to play as good as he can, and he is not right now, and have not been for this season.

• habs03 says:

I agree, but when you have 3 legitimate scoring lines, which would be 3 “2nd lines”, a guy like Bourque can really play on any of those lines, it just would be a question of where would he best be suited.

Completely off topic, but to all the Ontario Hab fans that listened to Jays games on the radio, here is a beautifully written letter by Bob Elliot to his old friend Tom Cheek.

Edit: May not be bad idea to have a kleenex nearby. Tom Cheek was a great broadcaster with class out the ying yang.

• Strummer says:

I read that piece.
      It was really moving.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habsfan0 says:

I remember initially listening to Tom Cheek when he was subbing for Dave Van Horne on an Expos broadcast. The first thought that entered my head was how similar he sounded to Van Horne. Later, when I heard both of them at the same time, the differences were quite audible.

Very moving article.

18. TorontoHabsFan says:

It might be helpful to think of Bourque like our new Andrei Kostitsyn – Infuriatingly inconsistent but a little more willing to play a physical game from time to time.

• jon514 says:

Yeah… if Andre Kostitsyn weren’t scoring a point a game in Nashville where the respect talent and let him play a regular 2nd line role without undermining him, calling him lazy, playing him 6 minutes per game and making him ride the bench. Andre Kostitsyn will have 30 goals and sixty points every year he plays in Nashville… 6 points in 6 games and counting, with a positive plus minus… sure sounds like Bourque to me…. The only silver lining is that patches has 11 points in 6 games…
      “Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• Ian Cobb says:

It is all coaching my friend. If a coach cannot communicate with all his players, and get to know what makes each one of them tick, then they just move on to teams that know how to treat them.

It is all about coaching and management in this league today. The best management gets the best results on the ice.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Wow. After 6 full seasons in the NHL I’d say it’s no longer anybody else’s fault for Andrei’s inconsistency. He is the player he wanted to be – someone perfectly content to score 20g and 20a while getting top 6 minutes (often top line minutes). He is not some green rookie in need of guidance. At some point the desire to achieve has to come from within. And on too many nights, that desire was plainly lacking.

Tell ya what, if he starts scoring more than 45 pts in Nashville I owe you a coke.

• r says:

very good comments
        plus game winner in shoot out yesterday,
        played over 19 minutes, 2 very good scoring chances
        amazing what confidence in a player can do??

• Cal says:

AK is playing 12 mins- check his TOI game to game either at TSN or NHL.com.

He floated around in Montreal being half-interested.
        So what that he’s gone.
        -edit- he played almost 20 mins last night and was -2. Same old AK.

• Bill says:

I looked at those stats and you are not accurate with that. He played 19:00 minutes last last and over 15:00 the games before. His TOI is increasing every game.

You mention his -2 but not that he won the game in the shoot-out? Yeah, that’s fair.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Cal says:

Scoring in Gimmick Time doesn’t count with me. The league thinks so, too, not awarding goals for those scored in the SO.
            If he was -1, the game wouldn’t have gone to OT, would it?

AK, after 6 seasons, is disinterested in making 6 to 8 mil a year. Otherwise, he would try a little harder and be the 35 to 40 goal scorer he should be. Instead, he yawns his way through too many games. Unfortunately, Bourque appears to be made of the same stuff.

• Bill says:

This is what puzzles me about AK critics. Bourque is physical? No. Certainly not as physical as Kostitsyn. Alert me the next time Bourque leads the Habs in hits in a season.

If it weren’t for his lack of scoring, Bourque’s complete lack of physicality would be the most disappointing thing about him.

AK is point-per-game in Nashville. Played twenty minutes last night and got the winner in the shoot-out.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• shiram says:

Ak was not gonna lead in hits, with Emelin playing for the Habs, but it’s a good point nonetheless.
        AK is a better player than Bourque, but AK was not being employed correctly here, basically it was not working for him anymore.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

We have seen such spurts from Kostitsyn numerous times in the past. He often would go on 10 game tears only to wane again.

If he can play at this level for a full season then kudos to him for finally putting it all together.

Past history, however, would indicate that he’s unlikely to do so.

19. kempie says:

So you figure Myers will get any supplementary Shanahan for the Gomez hit?

20. shiram says:

Budaj played great last night, kept his team in the game, and they got to OT because of him. He’s been ragged for most of the season, but we barely got to see him play.
    I hope we get to so more of those kinds of performance from him, it would not hurt to have a backup the team could rely on for a good number of games.

It’s interesting to note that the Habs have not changed goalies in a game this season.

Agreed, he was very sharp last night. Hopefully they split the load the rest of the way between the two keepers.

• shiram says:

The guys on RDS were pointing out that, like Markov, Budaj has to play so the management can have an idea of his play level going into next season.
        I think he could be a decent backup,but he needs to get a regular game in.

• habs03 says:

I liked the Budaj signing, even though many didn’t. The guy was a decent 1A/B goalie, playing on a bad Avs team, look at Anderson and Elliot now that both were horrible on the Avs team as well. I think management has done a great job in bring both Auld and Budaj to be Price backup, both are not just vets, but really good guys from the interaction on the bench and interviews you see of them.

21. habs03 says:

With Gio back next year, that should help the Bourque and Plek regain form, both have been horrible this year. Lets get some wingers for Eller (1 maybe being from this year top pick), and get another stay at home d-men, ex Allan Jackman, we’ll well be back in the playoffs easily, oh ya, with a real head coach tho.

• shiram says:

I’m hoping Plekanec has better than Bourque on his wing, but top winger talent is very rare in the free agent pool this year. As for the pick, I’d say patience might be best, let’s see who they pick and how they work out in training camp, before pencilling them on any NHL line.
      They do need another solid D.

• habs03 says:

I think Bourque would do fine one a line with Plek and Gio, where he isn’t a go to go, I kinda see him a plug that will score 20-25 goals, can play on all 3 lines, as long as he isn’t excatly the go to guy on the line.

In regards to the pick, I think if we draft high, some of the guys are NHL ready, Yakupov if we win the draft loto (wishful thinking), and maybe Grigorenko, both are NHL ready from what I’ve read, but I’ve read that Grigoenko doesn’t seem like a Timmins type of guy.

• shiram says:

I’d rather have Bourque on the 3rd with Eller, but if they cannot find another top 6 winger, Bourque will have to do with Plekanec.
          As for the pick, I’ll just say to be careful in your expectations, some of those guys take longer to mature.

• habs03 says:

In both cases your right, first with Bourque better have him on the 3rd line with liner, but like you said, lack of top end wingers, might force use to have spread the talent on 3 lines.

Also in regards to the pick, it also depends on the player, some guys are NHL ready, and might be stars right way, but can play, Hall, Skinner, last year, RNH this year. But it depends on the player drafted. Yakupov will be in the NHL next year 100% (wishful thinking but hey we should have a 14-18% chance :) )

• pottymonster says:

I just feel the need to point out at this point that you are all either wildly overvaluing our talent or under valuing bourque. ON ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HE IS A SECOND LINE WINGER.

where do you honestly expect to find someone better? hes a 20-25 goal, 40-45 point player. that right there is second line. those players are by nature, inconsistent. if you stick him on the third line, he’ll get 25 points and you’ll all hate on him as being useless. he needs to play with decent players and then he’ll put up decent points. just like hes done for the whole of his career. dont start messing with that now, and dont start thinking that every other team was using him wrong.

just like chris higgins and andrei k, we used them wrong. higgins was a second line player, so was andrei. only problem was that andrei got used on the 3rd and bounced all over the place and higgins was used on the first.

• boing007 says:

How about Parenteau?

Richard R

22. canuckbot says:

Monday night curse continues. Habs winless on Monday’s 2011-2012.

23. smiler2729 says:

If I have to pick one, DD or Pleksypoo, I choose the Double D.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

24. TorontoHabsFan says:

Desharnais now 2nd in the league behind Benn for the lowest cost-per-point player in the NHL.

Stupid Gauthier.

25. smiler2729 says:

So we’re already clued in to the fact that Rene Bourque is a phony.

Kelly Hrudey was so pissed at this guy earlier in the season on HNIC, he actually singled him out in anger and said he should apologize to his Flames teammates.

He’s a phony hockey player with a phony French name and Pierre Carrots was chasing this guy down in the Cammy deal since early November. Now THAT tells ya something about Goats…

Man, Bork Bork makes Gomez and Pee Wee Kaberle look good.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

26. Dude of Dudes says:

What the heck is with all the complaints about DD? Wow! This guy is 2nd in points after Patches; he has most assists out of anyone on the team and people complain that he’s good because he’s with the two top wingers? People. Are you out of your minds? HE”S MAKING THE PASSES!! And, he scores a lot to boot! And he’s pretty good in shootouts.

Man, I’m so tempted to say this is a culture thing because I see no other reason for this attack, attacks from commentators like Habs Requiem and Rhino514 and a few more.

Y’all think you’re the most knowledgeable fans, I beg to differ! Your analysis’s are generally based on emotions instead of logic.

Grow up boys and appreciate players for HOW they play. DD is my favorite right now. Underpaid compared to the likes of Gomez and Pleks. And you find reason to complain. Unbelievable.

Montreal, you are a city of winers.

• smiler2729 says:

Winers?

People into fine wines?

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Dude of Dudes says:

Whatever, you get my point.

• smiler2729 says:

I don’t see any whiners here, just the Pleksypoos lovin’ their overpaid overrated guy.

Plekanec vs Desharnais is the new Halak vs Price on HIO, buckle up, it’s gonna be quite a ride until Pleks gets traded this summer.

__________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• mdp2011 says:

I don’t get all the hate for DD either, since the second half of last season, DD has been the top point producer on the Habs (don’t have the stats to back up my statement, but pretty sure I am right). What I didn’t lik this season was the stubbornness of both JM and RC to not dismantle that line to spread the offense to have 2 scoring lines. It’s great that the DD-Cole-MacxPac line is producing, but it is not resulting in too many wins, they should have moved either Cole or Max with Plecky.

• Dude of Dudes says:

Agree. There’s no harm in spreading the magic and seeing if more magic happens. But it irks me to no end to say that DD is who he is because of the other two wingers. A load of crap.

• habsguy says:

I read alot of posts here, and the only thing I ever read about DD is that he’s awesome, and maybe some of us wish he was a bit bigger, other than that, I don’t what you’ve been reading ????

• Dude of Dudes says:

Then you missed a few comments.

• habsguy says:

show the ALL the negative comments about DD, okay then show me SOME, okay then show me a few..

• Dude of Dudes says:

I told you already in my comment: Habs requiem and Rhino514. Just more proof that you don’t read!!!

• habsguy says:

oh I get it, 2 of the almost 200 posts said something about DD, and 1 of the posts wasn’t tearing him a new one!!!!…… ya I see your point, I see ALL the hate for DD…LOLOLOL, too funny!!!

• Dude of Dudes says:

I gave those two names, you want me to waste my time typing all the others over the last week? It’s not blatant to you because you seem to skim over the surface with your reading.

Get a life.

• habsguy says:

I do skim over alot of the crap, thats why I can’t understand why I’m reading yours !!!!

27. adamkennelly says:

on Bourque – remember his first game as a Hab – vs. Washington – he had to answer for his hit on Backstrom..he took care of business and looked good doing it. He’s been pretty invisible since then…this tells me one of two things – or both – he definitely cares about himself – perhaps more than the team – and this team has a loser attitude. 1 line producing everything, guys on the outside looking in – wanting consistent line mates, not getting them…injuries, soft, weak D, betting bullied all the time etc…these guys are professionals but they are still people and stuff like that happens. The entire team save for the #1 line can’t wait for this season to end…the key is figuring out who doesn’t come back….

28. ed lopaz says:

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but how interesting is it to see Bourque on the penalty kill??

And believe me, its NOT because Bourque is a good defensive player.

He is quite the opposite.

His defensive zone coverage 5 on 5 is lacklustre, lacking intensity, or as many of you have so eloquently put it, lazy.

So Cunneyworth “rewards” him with some 4 on 5 PK duty.

I would do the same thing.

Bourque is a whopping -16 wearing the CH and in 26 games.

By some posters statistical logic, he would be “on pace” for about a -50 if these numbers continued for 82 games.

But Cunneyworth sends him out there on the PK any way.

To teach Bourque a lesson about working for the team.

To force Bourque to show his teammates that he is one of them.

To “hopefully” shake Bourque loose of his laziness.

Its actually very good coaching in my books.

• gmur says:

Didn’t notice that last night, but it’s a good way to force a player to block a shot or, at the very least, break a sweat. Bourque has a good streak going. One hit in his last 3 games. Wouldn’t want to wake him up. That’s two games in the last three with the Rene Bourque hat trick… no hits, no shots, no penalties. Gordie Howe would be proud.

29. FanCritic says:

RC knows the season is over so he’s putting lines together to have a good game and to win now and than other wise he would have had the same 1st line he had in Vancouver. DD would have been on the 2nd line most likely with Bourque and Eller or Leblanc. they know the season is over so play for a half decent draft pick and IMO that’s the right thing to do. great game by Budaj last night he’s a good backup for Price. Lets finish this season off and forget about it, start fresh next year with a half dozen new faces up front. like I’ve said many times the deadwood is killing us. it doesn’t matter for now but I would like to watch a good team 2012-2013.

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Grabovsky signed for 5.5M/yr for 5 years (making him the top earner amongst Leaf forwards).

I wonder how much AK46 will get, and whether Nashville will be able to pay it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

grabovsky is a center and he really worked hard these past few seasons for the leafs, and produced excellent numbers for them.

I was glad the Habs dumped grabovsky but he has turned his career around.

ak 46 will get about 4 or 4.5 million for either 3 or 4 years.

will nashville pay it. depends on their playoff run and ak46s contribution I would guess.

31. 123456 says:

For those calling massive line changes to see who can do what with others. . . if you were DD would you want ot play with Bourque? White? Gomer? These guys have pride and you don’t intentionally dismantle a line that is working well.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Reminds me of the old quote: “never attribute to malice what can be explained by simple incompetence”.

The Leafs will finish in the lottery zone, but it won’t have been deliberate.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chuck says:

I don’t worry about the Leafs getting a lottery pick, as they’ll either screw it up by picking the wrong guy or trade it away at the draft.

By the way Gerard, thanks for the beers and conversation last night. I really thought that they were going to pull it out!

___________________________________________________

Was a good game with an almost result! Tankers beware, Chuck and I were cheering for the Habs last night.

Thanks Chuck, a good evening indeed.

32. arcosenate says:

This might just be a result of the season meaning nothing now but Campoli has played very well over the past few games. I thought he was terrible for most of the season but he’s looked good as of late…

33. habs178 says:

First I wanna say that I love DD. This small guy plays huge, and creates awesome plays.

However, I was sad that he was back last night. The reason: when he got hurt, the lines got changed, and I found that more players were playing in better roles, which IMO, is the reason we won the games in Vancouver and Edmonton.

Just by having DD in the role he’s in, everyone below gets screwed and put in crappier positions. Plecks with crap wingers, Eller BEING a winger…to Gomez no less. These players are just not being used right. And I think when DD was hurt, everyone else got used right. Sad…sucks….ah well. Just how I saw it.

~The faith is gone…..until next year~

34. vegas says:

Since Max has hit the 30 goal mark, I’d like to see Bourque given a shot with DD and Cole, Maybe DD can revive him and COle could show him the way. A 10 game test

Meanwhile they can slap Max with Pleks and see if there is any chemistry there

35. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m not exactly sure what people thought the market was for an (apparently moody) often injured, one dimensional sniper who scored only 9 times (and put in 26 and 19 the two years before) and is still signed for two more years at $6m/yr. But a player like Bourque seems about right to me (or an assortment of picks and prospects)

It’s a credit to his reputation with the media that there was little to no mention of his subpar season when the trade happened.

Bourque has played poorly, but like others, I’m willing to give him a mulligan on this season – if he’s still MIA next season, then pillory away!

• habstrinifan says:

Cant’! At season’s end there will be one final pillory moment. An effigy of you know who (let’s just say it wont be Casper the friendly ghost) will be pilloried in front of the Bell Centre and then all pillory sticks will be gathered to be sold at a discount rate t the Leafs fans who will have need to pillory for many seasons to come.

There will be no need for pillorying in habs land next season.

O by the way I bet you my pillory stick is bigger than your pillory stick!

36. TommyB says:

Lots of bitching about this player and that player. Don’t you guys realize this team is just playing out the string? There is nothing at stake, the playoffs are out of the question, there is a lame-duck coach behind the bench, and there are big question marks over the heads of the guys who sit in the front offices.

With roughly a dozen games left, players are not going to go full out every shift, or every night. A player knows when it’s over. Even the best players are going to take nights off at this stage. Some are probably nursing some nagging little injuries. Some are being careful not to get a nagging little injury. Some might be thinking about where they will be next year. Some feel quite secure in where they are, and where they are sure to remain. And let’s be honest, some just plain don’t give a crap. Sure there is still some pride, but it is measured pride at this point. They see the end of the season approaching quickly, knowing full well that they will not take part in the playoffs.

And when I look at how this team is playing right now, sure I’d like to see them in the playoffs for my own selfish reasons, but I know this is impossible. The worst thing that could happen is that they go on a big winning spree to end the season, still falling short of the playoffs. I tremble when I think that management could see that as a sign that we are not really that bad. You know, some minor tweaking. That this was just an off year, riddled with injuries and what not. A minor blip on the radar. The management team might be able to convince the big cigar-smokers that they should be retained. And they might be successful in convincing them, bringing another season like this one to the table next year.

• gmur says:

I agree in general. But for the younger players who are being given a chance to play at this level, like Leblanc, Weber, White, Geoffrion even Eller: They should be jumping on this opportunity and forcing Cunneyworth to give them more ice time by playing with the most intensity they have ever played with. Hit, fight, yap, whatever it takes; even if they don’t make the scoresheet.

Leblanc had 3 hits in 13:44, 0 shots
      White had 2 hits in 17:34, for cripe’s sake… , 0 shots
      Blake Geoffrion, 0 hits, 1 shot in 7:39
      Weber: 2 shots, 0 hits in 14:05

I’m sorry, but some of these players (Geoffrion?) may never get a chance to play at this level again. I’d be going through the boards trying to set up next season. Even if there’s a new coach, new GM, etc., don’t tell me they won’t look at stats and even a few games to scout out some players before camp. Playing an NHL game is a far better indicator of what you can do than training camp with 100 other players (let’s hope the Canadiens have learned from this season’s debacle in training camp and make cuts very early in camp… but that’s another issue) and some of these guys seem to be taking their lead from established veterans like Bourque, Kaberle, Campoli, etc who all finished with 0 hits and 1 shot, except for Bourque who is playing the role of the invisible man these days and put up the Rene Bourque hat trick: no hits, no shots, no penalties. How in the hell do you play defence and finish with 0 hits in 15-20 minutes of play like Kaberle and Campoli? Put a beer on their heads and call’em coasters. They certainly wouldn’t spill the beer the way they’re playing…

• ont fan says:

I guess if I’m one of the better players I might have lost a little at this point. So you really think, if you are in the bottom half of this team they should be mailing it in. Whoever is evaluating the talent for next year, just might get the wrong idea of who we should go with in the future.You can’t change your ability, but you can sure show desire.

• TommyB says:

I’m definitely not saying it is what they “should” be doing. I’m saying it is what likely is going on. It happens. Even those who should be looking at next year, guy’s who may be on the bubble, could fall into this mode of play just by following along with the others.

37. shootdapuck says:

Use of “Mr” brands Goatier pompous, arrogant and out of touch.

Goatier is so distant from his players that he addresses them as “Mr” probably because he doesn’t know their given names.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

This is satire, right?

• gmur says:

Mister Shootdapuck, I concur. Mister TorontoHabsFan, there does seem to be a smattering of satire to Mister Shootdapuck’s post. Mister Gauthier does seem to get carried away, doesn’t he? When he’s watching Mister Dressup and Mister Roger’s Neighbourhood next fall instead of managing an NHL team (wishful thinking), he’ll be right at home.

38. shootdapuck says:

HFS72,

No Laff lover or BB moonie but if indeed Burke drafts a thug it will be an NHL ready thug and not an obscure High School project!

Drafting juniors is a Crapshoot, drafting projects in the first two rounds is a joke!

39. habstrinifan says:

About last night.. to me it was Darren Pang.

He is very observant of the little things that the players are doing and identifies them well.. both the good and the bad.

One observation that HABS COACHING (and I hope they hear his analysis somehow) should take from Darren Pang is how almost every forward except DD/Cole/Pac try to force a shot or pass through the maze of bodies in the blue rather than ‘resetting the play’.

Darren Pang highlighted this many times with the main culprit being Plekanec but also Eller and Gomez.

He was bang on and it is something the coaches need to correct for next season and is one main reason why we ‘dont score’.

On the flip side is DD who is simply a magician and finds room and dipsy-doodles until he opens up the lanes for his wngers. I once said Grabovski was BETTER than DD. Man was I stoooopid or what.

DD reminds me of players like Larouche Mondou etc.. small but huge in ability to make plays and room on the ice.

And yes he NEEDS wingers like Cole and Pacioretty…his size demands that he must have bigger wingers and they cant be ‘lazy big wingers’ like Bourque or ‘selfish’ big wingers like AK46 etc.

I am using lazy in a bad way of course.. lazy is lazy. But I am not using ‘selfish’ in a bad way. AK46 wont match with DD because AK46 wants the puck to make plays himself. Cole and Pacs want the puck for one reason… to put it into the net.

While I hate to reward players like Bourque I would try him on a line with DD (as a poster suggested ..and even try DD with LeBlanc and Geoffrion.. just for evaluation (not of DD but of the other players) and I would also try Eller with Coles and Pacs again to see if Eller can use all his tools better with wingers the calibre of Cole and Pacs.
    We can’t lose Eller thru mis-development and he is playing without focus and ‘options’ right now.

If this post is confusing.. I am basically saying DD is the MAN!

• LafleurGuy says:

Agree. Unfortunately, DD’s size is a negative in defensive play, whereas Tomas, despite his -22, is the more complete player. DD is probably our best shootout guy. All in all, just a great player to root for, just like how I used to root for Reggie Houle, Mario Tremblay and Dougie Riseborough.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Pleks wingers are not Pacioretty and Cole, DD can play that style because of the two guys he is with…Pleks plays with non-offensive threats.

40. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wow posters are still complaining over Plekanec.

I wonder how well DD would do playing with the same wingers Tomas gets to play with (and never complains). If DD makes his wingers better, surely he could get Bourque and White scoring on a PPG basis then right?

Give it a rest people, Tomas is a cornerstone of this team.

41. zak says:

tony marinaro is an ass. All he talks about is what IFs. He talks about trading Plec then says he’s worried that the habs will trade plec and their first pick for….. he didn’t say.
    He’s right when he says Plecs production but since his days with Kovy and AK he’s never had steady linemates, just Like AK.
    I hope the habs try to resign AK and leave him on a line with Plec and Gionta for the season just as they,ve done with the DD line

• shootdapuck says:

Ever notice since #13 left Marinaro’s dressing room scoops have dried up?

His never ending harangues on Plecanec, Borque etal are boring as a broken record!

Strange that he never verbally chastises Webber, Diaz, Palushaj, Nokalainen.

Boring bag of wind, wallowing in his own self importance!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

42. Old Bald Bird says:

Before we totally crucify Mr Bourque, I’d like to see how he fits in next year. As an Alberta boy he may feel uprooted right now and may be suffering mentally. I dunno, just a thought. Some people don’t adapt well to sudden changes. OTOH, he may just be useless. :)

• CanadienBoy says:

Agree he need a full year with a happy Plack as well i think Cammy is done every time he play full till he just get hurt

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree as well. He playing for a lame duck coach on a team that is eliminated from the playoffs. I’m not happy with his effort but I’ll give him a chance and see what he does out of coming training camp next year.

• LafleurGuy says:

We presume that Bourque was happy with being dealt but that may not be the case. He is afterall, from Alberta. I love his physical hockey attributes, skating and reluctantly stated, his ability to fight. Hopefully, after an adjustment period, his full ability will be displayed. Remember that Eric Cole struggled in Edmonton, and even here, Trevor Linden was a shadow of the player he was in Vancouver.

Just to repeat, really enjoy your posts UCE, especially at 4 am Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

“May you live in interesting times.”

You are a wise old bird aren’t you? Agree with your comments, what is most disturbing is that many of the posters crapping all over Bourque are the same ones begging for the team to play bad enough to lose all games. They then go on to question why someone isn’t playing better.

I won’t deny that Bourque seems to have some tendencies that appear frustrating, but given the team he walked into was in complete dissarray, I think he should definitely be given until his first complete season with the Habs before Pitchforks are raised.

• habstrinifan says:

His reputation says it all although people can change.

• Bill says:

Bourque is the most useless Hab since Donald Audette. Hard to believe people bash Kaberle and stick up for Bourque: at least Kaberle fills the role he was meant to. Bourque does nothing.

People comparing Bourque to AK46 are being incredibly unfair to AK46.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Big scoreboard watching night tonight, hopefully Leafs, Islanders and Carolina can find their winning ways this evening.

• LafleurGuy says:

Yah, baby! The only two teams I despise are the Bruins and the Flyers. Otherwise, may the best team win! Unless of course, “nos Canadiens sont joue’!”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Leaf-Nation appears to have embraced the tank.

They still think they have a genius GM too. If he gets a top 5 pick he’ll probably pick a thug.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I haven’t gone through the top 30 prospects yet to see who has the most Penalty minutes, but I am sure that will be the criteria used by Burke.

I suspect they will want Dumba, the hard hitting Dman.

• LafleurGuy says:

Casual fans bear losing, well….casually. Jumped out of my seat when Desharnais scored, face was burning hot when closet-goon Myers scored (was Gomez that he cross-checked into the boards?)

“May you live in interesting times.”

44. The Cat says:

A loser point. That has to be the worst scenario for the habs. Cunneyworth should split up the first line; theyre producing too much. Then the habs’d get a real good idea of who the good centremen are.

• chinahab says:

Good point–I’d like to see how DD plays without the team’s top two wingers. It could be a useful reality check.

• LafleurGuy says:

Be fair…..this young man had nothing handed to him. Undrafted, ECHL all-star, free agent signing to play in the AHL, AHL all-star, highly respected by a slightly younger Max Pacioretty who had the close-up vantage point of being his linemate in Hamilton where there are few highlight cameras rolling, and now that he has had 2 NHL seasons to show abilities, some of you still question his competence? Are you able to discern hockey skill? Just because we are website posters doen’t mean one has to be outrageous and ridiculous. Extending the type of thinking displayed we believe Gomez would have been on pace for a 60+ point season if only he played with better wingers!

My two cents on the two snide and vulgar posters who insulted UCE, man, how lazy can they be to take seconds to scroll. Far briefer than typing insults and revealing their amount of class.

“May you live in interesting times.”

45. Habsman1970 says:

Yeah, I am with you on this. There is a big difference from the #1 and #2 picks from #3-#10, so we will end up screwing ourselves (again). This has to be the first time I have rooted for the Habs to lose, but it’s time to suck and get the drafts rather than going for one last “push” just to end up getting a middle-of-the-road pick and stay a middle-of-the-road team like what we have been for most of the past 15 years.

(sorry, this was supposed to be a reply to pmaraw’s comment below)

ONCE A HAB, FOREVER A HAB!!!

46. The Dude says:

This disgrace of a year would have been an unimaginable lower point with out the play of Carbo’s Deharnais…Got to get rid of Craperlay,G-nards .

47. pmaraw says:

i am dreading the idea of the habs playing themselves out of a lottery pick

48. rhino514 says:

The signing of Bourque seems to have been wanting to do away with 6 million in cap money and take on 3.5 million in useless cap money (but for far less production than Cam, in the long run)
    Funny how initial perspectives on trades change.
    Kaberle is probably viewed as somwhat less disastrous now than when the trade was made. But The Bourque signing wasn´t generally canned when it was made. Posters here LOVE ny move that saves lots of cap money.
    The thing is, now you have a surly winger who doesn´t seem good enough to play on the top two lines.
    Cammalleri upon being converted to centre was starting to tear it up in Calgary and wouldve finished with over twenty goals if he wasn´t injured, in what for him is a disastrous year. Again, the thing with Cam is he is a clutch playoff performer.
    Not saying at this point the trade was a bad one; if one of the prospects gained pans out, it won´t be. But I really don´t like Bourque. I think he is going ton frustrate fans far more than Kostitsyn did.

49. Un Canadien errant says:

Another heartbreaker in more ways than one. We tie it up with one second left to push the game into overtime, only to lose, and be saddled with a loss and the regulation tie point, which does nothing to enhance our draft status. We keep losing games but picking up a point, it seems Les Fantômes du Forum aren’t aware that we are in a race to the bottom, pitted against the redoubtable Leafs in a Clash of the Inept.

Enjoyable game nonetheless. Whereas everything seemed to click in Edmonton and Vancouver, we were back to the same old song, with the first line providing all the offence, but with a different beat with Andrei Markov back. Unfortunately, Andrei seemed even more awkward in this game, so our fears that his magic touch alone will rocket us to ninth place in the standings can be allayed. We need to be logical and understand that he’s going through the mother of all training camps, having not played in two seasons and doing so with a knee he needs to learn to trust again. It’ll come, and despite some doubts it seems clearer yet that to play him in our remaining brace of games is good strategy.

Andrei was caught out of position, flagrantly so, on a couple of occasions, and was on the ice for all three Buffalo goals. There were fewer sparks of magic than on Saturday, but his smarts and hockey sense shone through on the tieing goal in the final seconds of regulation. Just before, the Sabres had barely gotten the puck out of their zone and were about to organize an odd-man rush on to the Canadiens empty-net. It would have been game over as soon as they started skating, except that Andrei correctly read the play, reasoned that there was no point in staying back to defend the empty net, and instead pinched up and rushed the puck carrier, knocking the puck free and enabling the Canadiens to regain possession. Andrei can read the play and can be aggressive, and needs to find the happy medium now that he’s not feeling quite as agile on his skates, but this play was pure gold, like the Andrei Markov of old.

And then there’s Scott Gomez, who again provided us with a demonstration of his ineffectiveness on his first shift of the game. He was standing off the left wing side of the Sabres’ net, hoping for a rebound while his linemates attacked the front of the net, when the puck squirted free in his general direction, but corralled by the Buffalo defenceman. He made a move as if he was going to outflank Mr. Gomez along the back boards and then up-ice, a fake on which Mr. Gomez bit and thus started to veer in that direction to cut him off. The Buffalo defender smartly changed direction and went behind his net and got the puck out of the Sabres’ zone. All this would be run-of-the-mill, except that this action initially took place when Mr. Gomez was less than a metre from the Buffalo puck carrier. Instead of biting on the fake, or even having to guess which direction he would go, to his corner or the other way around the net, he could have simply put his shoulder into him. Not that he needed to hit the man violently, or that it would have taken much of a hit, his opponent was skating from a full stop, so he could have neutralized him easily by a simple, basic bodycheck, separated him from the puck, and kept the pressure on in the offensive zone.

Rather than this, the Canadiens were left scrambling in their own zone, with the Sabres buzzing, and Louis Leblanc was able to showcase himself in that he did exactly the opposite of Mr. Gomez and was effective in doing so. While the puck was being batted around, Patrick Kaleta had an opportunity on Peter Budaj’s right side, when a near pop fly came to him. He gloved the puck and tried to read/deke Louis Leblanc to figure where he should deposit the puck and then be in a position to shoot or pass it. Mr. Leblanc didn’t bother trying to guess, he didn’t give Mr. Kaleta an option, he simply stepped into him and separated him from the puck. This wasn’t a very hard hit, he barely had taken a couple of strides toward him, but it was enough to do the job, even if Mr. Kaleta is bigger and stronger.

How a an undersized rookie can get this right while a decorated, crafty veteran will boot it all over the infield is incomprehensible. Unless you posit that Mr. Leblanc actually cares and expends effort.

Oh, and I will again ask all his detractors to please stand up and explain yet again how David Desharnais is too small to be a #1 centre. Please weave into your exposé supporting evidence from the performance of Tyler Ennis, all 5’9″, 160 lbs of him.

While most naysayers now grudgingly admit that David has been effective, they’ll still trot out the old tropes that he’s too slow, he needs to be insulated by the two wingers that he was given as gift without ever earning the right to play with them. I think we need to rearrange our mindset to accommodate the fact that Mr. Desharnais has learned to play in a manner that capitalizes on his diminutive stature. He plays differently than a crashing, bruising Joe Thornton or Bobby Smith. He finds the open areas, darts in and out with quickness that behemoths can’t match. He plays with intelligence and vision, since all his career he has not been in a position to overpower adversaries with physical dominance. That makes him hard to defend, as his decisions and positioning are unorthodox, unpredictable. We tend to think that in hockey, bigger is automatically better, but if David were 5’11″ and 190 lbs, would he be that much better? Or would he have learned to play the same way as everyone else and not have the singular attributes that make him so effective in his second season? Or would he be incapable of moving around the ice in the manner that he does? Or would he get creamed along the boards routinely, instead of using his low centre of gravity to his advantage, and opposing greater strength with timing, quickness and precision?

All I know is that his pass on Erik Cole’s goal was another beauty. It didn’t look difficult, it wasn’t a cross-ice saucer in full flight, but again it was a smart play that froze the goalie, and a pass that went tape-to-tape. On his goal, we saw a sniper pull the trigger after setting up the puck and burying it absolutely top shelf. Ryan Miller had slid across and was blocking most of the bottom of the net with the right pad and his blocker. I can think of a few Canadiens who would have hurried and mashed the puck into Mr. Miller’s pad, but David took his time and didn’t miss. These plays don’t happen accidentally over a whole season, at one point we have to applaud the genius, as I did when I bounded off my couch and jumped for joy.

So another loss, another loser point, another lose-lose game. Bring back the tie games, these OT losses are worse than kissing your own sister.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• SensFanSpezza says:

Just out of curiosity, why don’t you have your own blog? It seems more than a little arrogant that you post these novels of game summaries in reply to Mike Boone’s own work. And all the Mr stuff is pretty annoying.

• Sweeeny says:

Exactlty – your wasting my time – seems to take forever to scroll by all this s*&t. Look up salient.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I like his posts. One of the better summaries/analyses anywhere.

• HardHabits says:

I like his posts too but the mister gibberish is annoying. It’s Kaleta, Miller, Gomez, Leblanc, etc.

My recommendation to UCe. Drop the mister. It sounds creepy when Gauthier uses it and sounds pompous when you do.

• howtathor says:

I agree, I think the analysis is thoughtful and eloquent but the MR. has got to go. Isn’t one pretentious Pierre Gauthier enough to deal with?

• Psycho29 says:

@SensSpazzaFan
        Just out of curiosity, why are you even here? Isn’t there a Sens page for you to troll on?
        Maybe I don’t like to look at Spazza’s ugly mug…..so I scroll on by…..You should just do the same.

Not sure if you noticed, but UCE was polite enough to provide the address for his blog which you suggest he write. Thanks Mr. Spezza.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Given the low signal to noise ratio on here, you choose to criticize one of the few who contributes signal?

If it’s too long for you just scroll.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Marc10 says:

I like your posts.

Ignore the guys who contribute nothing on this site. Especially Sens’ fans (do they even exist?!)

• geo_habsgo says:

Love your game summaries. Don’t get discouraged by the naysayers. We need more guys like you around the site these days. We’ve lost too many good posters over the last couple of years. Thanks for actually contributing something substantial to the site. In many ways, they rival About Last Night itself. Keep it up buddy.

• Psycho29 says:

Great stuff…as always! :-)

50. JayK-47 says:

People are knocking Bourque and in my opinion, they’re not entirely wrong BUT…

Pleks has been playing poorly of late. If you watch his puck possession in comparison to Desharnais’, there are a couple major differences.

1. Pleks is NOT passing. He has speed, he gains the zone, and he’ll wrist a shot that the goalie can track all the way in. He does this even when he has a skater on his wing. And when they’re in the zone and he does pass? >>>

2. Pleks is rushing plays: He’s not protecting the puck well, or cycling well, and his passes are hard, fast ones that usually skip over his teammates tape.

I don’t know what Tomas’ problem is but I think it may have to do with the quality of wingers he’s been assigned and maybe he’s lost his faith in them. He skates his heart out still, he’s not going for the tank, but I can see him look up to survey his options, and it usually ends up a low percentage wrister. I think he’s given up on his teammates.

Going forward there are three options.
    1.Trade Bourque (to highest bidder) and get a solid winger for Pleks (Gomez to Hamilton (must)/ Get Parise? (maybe)).
    2.Trade Pleks while his value is high and get a center for Bourque and Gionta (Semin?).
    3. Let him center Max-Pac and Cole to get his confidence back.

I just hope they don’t ‘Saku Koivu’ him anymore.

• rhino514 says:

The reality may indeed be more the opposite of what is commonly accepted: Desharnais is shining because he has the two best wingers on the team on his line and Plekanec is being anchored by inconsistent or minimally talented linemates and is in reality one of the best two way centres in the league
      You tend to thin that because Pleks was rewarded with a 5 million a year contract he must be a money player, but I´m not sure if that´s the case.
      It could very well be that Pleks is just an o.k. number two centre and Desharnais is a force in his own right. Remember, Pleks has only had one really good season. He had an atrocious season 3 years ago. The rest, including this season, will have been in the 50-57 point range.
      Granted he has been given questionable wingers at times this year, but he still gets time on the PP and loads of ice time.
      I think he´s o.k. and I like him, but I don´t think he´s a great player. Max Pac, cole, Subban, Price, Gorges, and probably Markov (still) are more valuable to the team.
      Is DD as valuable?
      The only way to know would be to give Pleks DD´s wingers for at least 30 games. One of those things you just can´t know, like what would Price´s stats be if he had St. Lous´team in fron of him.
      For sure Plekanecs is a very good defensive centre, but offensively I really think DD has surpassed him.

• Clay says:

1. Why would Pleks pass when playing with wingers who have a combined 2 or 3 goals for the season? In one recent game, his wingers had zero goals for the season…He is clearly a frustrated player.
      2. See number 1

__________________________
      ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

• Marc10 says:

We only have two big North-South wingers. AK should have been and Bourque should be that guy. Unfortunately we only have two.

It might be worth splitting up the Twin Towers.

Maybe this is a better lineup:

Patches-DD-Bourque
      Eller-Pleks-Cole
      White-Gomer-LL

Just play 3 lines and bench whoever takes a shift off.

51. VancouverHab says:

1.] I want Cammalleri back and Bourke gone
    2.] I want George Gillette back & the Molsons (‘we hired Grundman over Bowman in the single-most self-evidently stupid & self-destructive move in sports history’) gone.
    3.] I want Lemaire (& Larry Robinson with him) back and Randy “there are bantam coaches with more coaching nous than I have” Cunnyworth gone.
    4.] I want Savard back [Hell, I want anybody] and Gauthier gone.

I am in tears. I thought the Houle-Trembley years were the lowest of the low. They weren’t. Please please, can I have my Habs back? Deharnais (an excellent and praiseworthy third-line player) is being used as our number-one centre? Oh my God! Please, please: O, the Humanity!!! Stop the agony! I can’t take it! …..

Ladies and Gentlemen: we have now officially become exactly like….the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Fate is cruel.

• Clay says:

But at least we have Gomez! Doesn’t that make it all worth while?

__________________________
      ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

• HabFanSince72 says:

Exactly. Thanks to Gainey/Gauthier, VH has gotten to enjoy Gomez’s last hurrah as a Hab.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

Yu had me until you dissed DD. DD is a player who should command your respect. He earned his spot and he has GROWN into the top centre. I dont think DD will lose his spot even if we ugrade our centre position. Of course he will always need big wingers but he is a bona fide # centre.

But I am with you on everything else!

52. jeu_de_puissance says:

At this point in the season, this loss was almost a best case scenario: Our backup goalie played outstanding, our defense (aside from a couple Markov mistakes) looked better, Patches wasn’t injured blocking Myers slapshot, we showed character and heart tying the game late, and we helped the Sabres keep the Maple Laughs even further back of a playoff spot. It wasn’t the most exciting game, but the retooled Habs look promising. Well aside from Rene Bourque.

Can\’t F#*k with history!!!

53. Habs Requiem says:

The time is now to make Rene Bourque a heaalthy scratch. By making him a consistant outsider to the games being played maybe he’ll get the message and want to join in and play again. I’m not confident in that. PG’s haste in trading Cammy (like why??) has brought us an even worse non-compete guy. 17.28 TOI tonite – 0 shots + 0 Hits. I was watching TSN and I saw that freak on the ice. That is the correct term -> Freak. I mean he’s what – 6/2 – 210 and he’s what a PG vegan – allergic to hitting. What like Man-size smurf that doesn’t believe in body contact. Somewhere on that Bill of Sale there has to be a Return Policy?

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

54. Colomb27 says:

”If we go 12-0 we’ll have a 50% chance of making the playoffs”.. aha boy would *that* put an end to our lottery pick hopes. 12 wins at 24 points would give the Canadiens 89 points to finish the season, which gets me thinking. Washington is in 8th at 76 points with 13 games remaining. I’m going to guess that they’ll likely go 8-3-2 give or take a game and change (or one of the 3 teams behind will go on a similar roll). So that would put 8th spot at around 91-94 points if everything goes according to plan. Jeese, tough year…

55. I hope we draft either C Mikhail Grigorenko or LW Filip Forsberg. No defensemen please.

• nickster13 says:

Forsberg! He’s the ideal hockey height, 6ft2!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• HabsinLA says:

As talented as Grigorenko is, scouts are going way down on him, saying he has no heart. They say he gets a ton of points vs. weak competition and barely shows up vs. tough teams. Sounds more Victor Kozlov than Evgeni Malkin to me…

Unless we get Columbus’ first I’d rather see Galchenyuk (talented, well rounded, great work ethic but injured), Faksa (projected as a Marian Hossa type but I bet he turns out more like a Plecks) or Forsberg (He hasn’t blown the elite league up but he’s a 17 year old playing in an under 20 league…)

I’m really hoping Galchenyuk.

56. zoobydooby says:

Were a 8th place team. Some seasons 7th others seasons 15th.

57. matt jordan says:

The Canadiens are the Maple Leafs of a few years ago…
    -Kaberle
    -Brutal contracts to underachieving veterans (Gomez, Bourque…_
    -Lame duck coach
    -Lame duck GM
    -Getting points at the end of the season when all is lost…

SIGH

58. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Patches, Cole (do we have a nickname for him yet?) and Dizzy all have more points than St. Louis’ top scorer. Pleks is only three behind. Ditto Florida.

We have 19 more goals for and 5 more goals against than Florida (1 more for and 3 more against than the Caps)

And our goalie’s save percentage and GAA is better than both goalies on Chicago.

Funny ol’ game hockey.

59. Stev.R says:

If we go 12-0 we have a 52% chance of making the playoffs based on calculating the every possible result of every game left to be played in the NHL this season.

60. Rainrocket16 says:

Rene Bourque is proving to us that he, well……. Sucks! Markov is expected to get burnt having just come back from the dust, but he needs to be better than he was tonight. Man, I hope this team blows up big time this summer. Keep Line 1 with its D man pairing and get rid of the remaining veterans!

61. montreal ace says:

When the World Championships start, I hope the Habs send as many players as they can. I hope Price does not start a few games towards the end of the season, and he is the starting goaltender for Canada.

62. SPATS says:

What a season! The latest D pairing sums is up for me…
    Campoli & Kaberle

CA-KA!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

63. montreal ace says:

Since we are not playoff bound, I hope the organization starts to sign, the core on the team that will be our future. I think giving some term, for a hometown discount is the way to go. In the 2 games Markov has been back, I am surprised at how well he has done. Bravo Markov, I look forward to next season with him being healthy.

64. Marc10 says:

I felt bad for Budaj. He was good.

I’d be tempted to put DD with Bourque and Eller on the second line. Why? To show those guys what a real hockey player is (and as a side benefit, Pleks gets some wingers…)

Let’s play 3 lines and sit guys who don’t want to play. I’d love to see Bourque compete with LL and other guys who typically don’t take a shift off… Let’s see if Sleepy McSnooze wakes the F up when that happens.

• Habs Requiem says:

I guess you didn’t see the 1st Goal Buffalo scored tonight. Tyler Ennis walked in from the Right Face-off circle and put on a couple of dekes to move Markov and Budaja out of position and score. But if you watch the play closely you’ll see DD just glide and watch it all happen. He could have helped Markov out but he didn’t and the same with Budaja. He just took a picture and watched it happen right in front of him. Great example of Coast 2 Coast. Both Bourque and LL + geoffrion really didn’t bring their games tonight. Bourque had 17.28 TOI..0 – shots & 0 – hits. You’re telling me this guy competed tonight. You’re saying Eller is a floater? I don’t think so. Eller is saddled with dead weights or new born rooks to play with. He covers the PK and heavy lifting shifts. DD I give credit to his O-Zone prowess but he sucks in our end. He’s also very lazy in our end. He also get very little face off action in our end. He’s pampered with that + he got the 2 Golden Boys on his wings. He doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting. So don’t give me that CRAP that he is on some other plain from Eller or Plex. Yes…look at Plex’s #’s..pretty impressive considering he’s gotten very little mileage from the wingers he’s played with all year…..seems like every game new line-mates. Face it…Habs have one Offensive Power line and DD happens to be on it. I wonder how good would it be if it had a 25 game stretch of Plex/Eller centering it and combined how good would DD do in that time with “their” rotating wingers and assignments. Hockey is a team game. It is not one that is just successful for the individual….unless of course you are a Leafs fan and tha’s the only peg you can hang your cap on.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

• Un Canadien errant says:

David Desharnais just proved to you tonight, again, what a quality player he is, yet you ignore his goal and assist to grind your axe.

One of the things we learned when Mike Cammalleri was traded away is that he spent significant time complaining to the coaches that he wanted to play with Mr. Desharnais, not Tomas Plekanec. That should be an indication to you. The Canadiens want to be on his line, they know what a setup man he is.

Why you have obvious antipathy for a local kid underdog, who was never ‘pampered’ but had to earn everything he got in hockey, and who is producing real results as opposed to potential at very little cap hit to the team is giving me a brain sprain.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• HardHabits says:

I will say this again and again. Your use of Mr. makes you appear to be both pompous and wimpy.

Too bad too because you have many good ideas. Using Mr. isn’t one of them.

It’s enough to make me over look your posts altogether.

Seriously. I cringe almost every time I read your comments. It’s like I have to hold my nose just to get through your first paragraph.

• Un Canadien errant says:

HH, I use the formal mister, as in Mr. Desharnais, as a form of respect. I was brought up that way and used to refer to my elders as such, or Uncle or Aunt so and so. It comes easily.

With the amount of hatred and disdain I see on these pages sometimes, I think it’s a step in the right direction and a pull on the rope in the tug-of-war in maintaining civility. It prevents the writer from casually thinking of a player or personality as a commodity or worse.

When I read the Globe and Mail editorials as well as the New York Times, they use the formal tone as well. It’s a good standard to shoot for.

I refuse to use the cutesy nicknames that get tossed around on here, like DD and Patches and Kabs. If we’re texting from the jump seat of a pickup racing in the Baja, there may be a need for brevity, but for the most part we’re all comfortably seated with a proper keyboard to use, it takes a second to type Mr. I don’t see why we’d omit it.

When a play-by-play man uses the last name of a player, he does so for ease of reference and under time pressures. There’s an understanding that it’s acceptable in this case, but I doubt whether that should extend to regular conversation. Would you walk up to Erik Cole at the airport and say: “Cole, great game last night!”? Of course none of us would, we’d call him Mr. Cole, and some who are more easygoing might call him by his first name, if we felt comfortable being familiar.

So I’m sorry you feel that strongly about my tone of respect, I just think it’s appropriate and the right thing to do, instead of posts like “PG should go XXXXX himself”, or abbreviations that I have to decypher, like some that are being bandied about for players who aren’t even on the team yet.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Marc10 says:

No player is perfect and most certainly not on this team.

You obviously didn’t read my post. Nowhere do I say Bourque competed tonight… Far from it. (I suggest he play with DD so he can see what a real hockey player looks like… You know, one that shows up!)

That said, I appreciate your attempt at baiting and trolling. That’s quality work. Keep it up!

• boing007 says:

If some of you people think that DD is better offensively than Pleks, at least admit the opposite is also true: Pleks is better than DD on defense.

Richard R

65. matt jordan says:

I didn’t watch the game… and saying that, here is my sound advice:

Fire Cunneyworth… and put Gauthier behind the bench.
    Gomez-Nokelainen-Ian Schultz… First line, all the powerplay opportunities (first wave)..
    With Kaberle and Weber as the #1 D pair, including all special teams.

That is the key to FAIL for NAIL. Enough of this scraping points together when the season is lost.

• habstrinifan says:

What are you? A masochist!

Actually I am still smiling imagining the train wreck.

I love it!

They’ll probably would be able to get enough material from our games for two or three Monty Python movies.

Major props to Budaj who helped the Habs gain a point tonight. And then there’s DD and Ennis. What must Scott Gomez think as he watches guys like this play?

This is still a one line hockey team. Montreal needs to pick up a LW this summer to go along with Pleks. Especially if they continue to fall out of the entry draft “competition”. It has to be priority #1 moving forward with the new five year plan.

Every year the fans on HI/O like to select a new whipping boy to help alleviate their frustrations. Kaberle is too easy a target for next year so I’m putting my money on Rene Bourque. He certainly has arrived as advertised.

BTW, Subban has more innate ability than Myers regardless of the outcome of tonight’s game. I’m not saying that because I’m a Hab fan, I’m saying it because it’s the truth. Subban is the best young natural talent this team has had since the days of Guy Lafleur.

67. The Gonk says:

Emelin had a rough nite. Eller look confused, which he does every 2 out of 3 games – is this symptomatic of our losing ways and lack of supporting talent as opposed to that of Lars’ ability (yes he’s accused by a good contingent of Habnuts of being over-rated and that’s not an unreasonable sentiment)? Geoffrion continues to underwhelm. White is a fourth liner. Bourque is that slug that all Flames fans warned us about. Poor Plekanec – get him Gionta and someone else for the left-wing. He deserve it for next year. I hope Markov survives the remainder – he did look out of place at times, like someone who is awesome but hasn’t played in 2 years! He’ll be great next season. Weird to watch a game where you cheer to win but don’t mind losing (except outright). :)

68. otter649 says:

Lack of goal scoring costs The Habs once again – Broken record…..

• Clay says:

I’d say that too much goal scoring costs the Habs, because we are moving away from the good draft choices.

__________________________
      ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

69. Trisomy 21 says:

I was excited about next season last season. Now I don’t know if I should feel optimistic or not.

70. habstrinifan says:

be fair… guy did ok here and his team played like the Canadiens of old on many nights.

71. habstrinifan says:

I saw that too.

72. RiverviewCanadien says:

I guess Pleks is a bum, trade him for picks in the offseason!