About last night … (updated after Sunday afternoon game)

IrishBerge

OK, Marc Bergevin isn’t Irish.
Moreover, there is a rapidly accumulating body of evidence to suggest the Canadiens general manager is good, rather than lucky.
But check the calendar: It’s March 17.
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.
And while the Blarney Stone has not been relocated to the seventh floor of the Bell Centre, good fortune and Irish eyes (maybe Brendan Gallagher’s) are smiling on the Canadiens’ executive suite.
It’s almost spooky: Everything Bergevin and his staff do comes up smelling of clover … or shamrocks.

The latest example is Jarred Tinordi.

The defenceman is recalled from Hamilton and makes his NHL debut against the Devils in New Jersey. Partnered with Francis Bouillon, Tinordi plays almost 15 minutes. He does nothing egregiously wrong on D, picks up an assist on Tomas Plekanec’s winning goal and ends his first game in the bigs at plus-2.

On the eve of St. Patrick’s Day, the Canadiens skated out on the ice of the Prudential Center as a fourth-place Eastern Conference team. Saturday afternoon wins by Boston and Pittsburgh knocked them out of the lofty perch the Canadiens had occupied since a 3-1 win over the Rangers lifted the Canadiens into first place on Feb. 19.

But by 10 p.m. – after a typically hermetic New Jersey defensive effort in which the Canadiens had to scratch and claw for each inch of the ice – they were back on top of the conference with a 19th win in 28 games.

It didn’t last. The Penguins edged the Bruins 2-1 Sunday afternoon; and by the time the last Celtic celebrant is poured out of the pub on Sunday evening, the Canadiens find themselves in second place in the conference, two points behind Pittsburgh with two games in hand.

The Canadiens remain atop the Northeast Division. They’re a point ahead of Boston, which has played one game fewer.

The Sunday afternoon game was costly for both teams. Kris Letang and David Krejci left with injuries..

Canadiens fans should congratulate themselves for staying awake through the 2-1 Saturday win. Until its last few frantic minutes, the game at the Pru was stultifyingly boring.

You want excitement in New Jersey? Watch the Sopranos or read Philip Roth. Devils hockey is about as exciting as watching Tony wash his car or Portnoy pleasure himself.

The Devils gave the Canadiens nothing. The home team had a 33-22 shot advantage, outhit the Canadiens 26-18 and set up a wall of sticks and bodies in front of goaltender Johan Hedberg. New Jersey effectively stifled the Canadiens’ speed and skill.

Playing against his old team, Brian Gionta was held without a shot on goal. His futility was matched by Alex Galchenyuk and Andrei Markov.

Heck, Colby Armstrong had a shot. And it went in, Armstrong’s first of the season.

In his postgame remarks, Michel Therrien praised Armstrong for contributions that escape the scrutiny of many fans. The coach made an in-game adjustment, moving Armstrong to the Lars Eller-Alex Galchenyuk line in the third period and dropping Gabriel Dumont down to play with little-used Ryan White and Michael Blunden.

And for a late defensive-zone faceoff, Therrien used David Desharnais, who won 13 of 24 draws on the night (Plekanec won 19 of 29).

P.K. Subban led the Canadiens’ modest shot parade with five. Lars Eller had four, Brendan Gallagher and Max Pacioretty three each. Four players accounted for 15 of the team’s 22 shots.

The Canadiens power play went 0-for-3. The PK allowed New Jersey’s only goal, by Peter Harrold.

Fans have been waiting for Carey Price to steal a game. This might have been it. With the game in the balance, Price made 18 saves in the third period.

Some stats:

• The win lifted the Canadiens’ road record to 10-2-2. Last season they were 15-20-6.

• The Canadiens have scored first in 21 of their 28 games. This speaks to the team’s level of preparedness.

• The Canadiens have one regulation-time loss in their last 17 games. They have not lost consecutive games in regulation this season.

• On L’Antichambre, Stéphane Leroux talked about the eight-game segments of the Canadiens’ season. They have gone 6-2-0, 52-1, 4-1-3 and, to date, 4-0-0.

The latter should get a boost this week, when the Canadiens play Buffalo twice at the Bell Centre, sandwiched around a visit to Long Island.

Perhaps Brandon Prust, Michael Ryder or Rene Bourque will be cleared to rejoin the roster.

Recovery will take longer for Raphael Diaz. But Tinordi’s play in New Jersey merits another start Tuesday against the Sabres. And maybe the big galoot, for whom the Canadiens traded up in the 2010 draft – will be around for a while.

Once everyone is healthy, Bergevin will have some personnel decisions to make.

May the road rise up to meet the Canadiens GM. May the wind be at Bergevin’s back.

And a happy St. Paddy’s to all HIO readers.

Hickey is buying.

1. B says:

Hamilton has an AHL low 129 goals for in 61 games. On the flip side, only 6 teams have allowed more goals against. Small wonder they sit 1 point out of last place.

I noted that players coming up say how they play the same system in Hamilton, so it helps them to fit in quicker on the Habs. Interesting how the “system” has worked very well for the Habs so far yet doesn’t appear to be doing much for the Dogs this season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

Too many rookies coupled with lot’s of injuries. Goaltending has not been hot either.

• BJ says:

Biggest problem there is no offense.

• HabFab says:

Geoffrion, Palushaj, Leblanc and Nattinen all suffered major injuries and Gallagher went to the NHL. They were expected to carry that load.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Yeah the cupboard is kinda bare at forward but a lot of good young D in the pipeline, now Dietz signed, looking solid on the back end for the foreseeable future so hopefully this years draft will concentrate on wingers. With Tokarski we don’t need to waste a high pick for a goalie.

Over the next couple of seasons we’ll be able to make upgrades to guys like Bouillon, Gorges, and Diaz. I like the latter two but if we can have guys fill the same role with more size then we’ll be a lot more competitive.

• Habfan10912 says:

Plus for a good part of the season they were playing against teams loaded with NHL players.

2. Cacoman says:

Hit stats (NHL.com):
    #1 – Toronto – 938
    #12 – Pittsburgh – 669
    #13 – Boston – 669
    #14 – Montreal – 648
    #17 – Anaheim – 617
    #30 – Chicago – 469

We are right in the middle of the pack with the best. As for the playoffs, let’s go with the extremes. Who do you put your money on to go the furthest; Chicago or Toronto?

Me? I’ll put my money on a team who’s somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Salut!

• habs12 says:

you cant hit people if you always have the puck.

• Habfan10912 says:

May I also add that the puck possession also has led to a great deal of power plays as well.

• commandant says:

Hit Stats are notoriously unreliable.

They vary wildly based on the scorer in one rink vs the scorer in another.

See Phoenix… 472 hits at home 220 on the road. How does that happen?

Or Pittsburgh 268 at home 401 on the road.

The same is true of giveaways and takeaways.

Until the NHL standardizes these stats, and doesn’t leave them in the hands of the “home team” official scorer. They are to be taken with a giant grain of salt.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

Every real time stat is butchered in every rink.

Louis Leblanc had 3 hits on his first NHL shift, legitimate bodychecks while playing like a human buzzsaw and received credit for one.

Turnovers are also butchered, blocked shots. You name, all epic failures.

• Loonie says:

There’s actually nothing subjective about a bodycheck. Either a player intentionally contacted a puck carrier physically or they didn’t.

And to determine intent, all that needs to be seen is whether or not the checking player saw the puck carrier.

3. Bill J says:

To those reviewing old threads from months ago….

Try and find the posters whose opinions revolved around ditching Timmins. How he has just another one of the Gainey, Gauthier cronies. How his drafting abilities sucked royally.

Today I’m very happy he’s still with the Habs.

• He’s the one man who has survived it all. He took a chance drafting Price early and for that alone he’s a genius! His fingerprints are all over the team on the ice right now.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Also, for a few years I’ve been trying to remember which poster created the verb “awesomise”. It was with reference to a sandwich, and the effect of adding bbq flavoured mayo (I think). As in, I awesomised my sandwich.

Anyone?

4. NL Hab says:

What are the latest updates on Bourque, Ryder and Diaz? The Hamilton kids have been filling in admirably, so kudos to them.

Et Le But

5. HabFab says:

Spector’s links to all the Hockey reporters and their trade rumors;

With the DD signing and a Kaberle buy out, the Habs have $10.9 ml left to sign 7 players.
    Don’t quote me Capgeek as they don’t include the $2.7 ml ETL bonuses in their totals.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Shouldn’t be difficult.

If Tinordi replaces Bouillion, that’s 6 to sign for 9.9.

Then a backup goalie for let’s say 1.5, so that leaves 5 to sign with 7.4.

An extra D, so let’s say bouillion at the same 1.5. 4 to sign with 4.9.

3 for the 4th line, and two for the pressbox. Let’s say Dumont, Armstrong, and Blunden for no more than 3.

Left with one to sign with about 1.9, likely to whichever kid earns the spot alongside Eller.

• HabFab says:

BUT BUT how are we going to sign Perry, Clowe and Clarkson as per HIO commentators?

I would say you are paying too much. Six guys for a million per leaving $4.9 for someone to replace Ryder.

• Strummer says:

If they can trade kaberle at the deadline they could use Gionta as the 2nd amnesty buyout in the summer which would free up $5 million

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

6. WindsorHab-10 says:

Did anyone notice the HNIC crew last night before the game, how they were all complimenting the Habs? What up?

7. WindsorHab-10 says:

Happy for Colby Armstrong’s first goal of the season. Hard working player whose contribution doesn’t show on the scoresheet. Tinordi seems to fit right in. Not a bad road win considering the effort.

8. habsfan1001 says:

Heading to Montreal tomorrow for the game Tuesday does anybody know where to get some good hot wings and cold beer near the Bell Center

9. Strummer says:

Steve Simmons gives props to MB in today’s Toronto Sun:

BERGEVIN GETS LAST LAUGH

There was no shortage of one-liners going around when career practical joker Marc Bergevin was named general manager of the Montreal Canadiens. But only Habs fans are laughing now and it’s not at their general manager.

The work Bergevin has done with the recent contract negotiations of P.K. Subban and David Desharnais has shown Bergevin to be tough, smart and efficient. Subban, one of the most explosive players in the game, signed for a ridiculously low — we still can’t figure this one out — $2.87 million cap hit for the next two years while Desharnais, a 60-point getter in his first full season, signed up for $3.5 million a year for four years.

For the record, that’s $2 million a year less than Leafs are paying the former Hab, Mikhail Grabovski, who had one point in 13 home games going into Saturday night. Bergevin, with the Habs in first place, his contracts in solid shape, with Michel Therrien a candidate for coach of the year, is not anyone’s punchline anymore

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• punkster says:

The same Simmons who, when commenting on TSN The Reporters the day after the Chara hit on Max and after replaying the hit a number of times on that show…said that Chara was skating backwards so it was a legal hit.

That Simmons…right?

He’s an ass.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Strummer says:

Same Simmons (as if one story has anything to do with the other)
        My point is the naysayers including the Toronto press are on board now.

Simmons like all spots journo’s will offer opinions that are contrary to ours and we take it personally.
        However like a blind squirrel in search of nuts they do come up with the occasional find.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I can’t seem to shake off that hit on Max Pac. The more I see it the more I’m convinced it was a deliberate retaliotory hit but yet, so called experts in the league think otherwise. I still feel that Chara will pay one day for that.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m with you Windsor, and from this perspective: I liked Chara, starting with when he blossomed with Ottawa. So big, yet so coordinated, and smart, lots to admire. I wanted to continue liking him (although always of course through the lens of the same sentiment expressed in your avatar, if that’s not a contradiction! For instance, I still like players like Krejci and Kelly).

But for me it was not possible to watch that hit and not end up concluding that he had something extremely vicious in mind once he saw who it was and where on the ice the play was heading.

His denials of those two points — although of course for the sake of his career he had no choice but to make them — only convinced me further.

I still feel nauseated when I see that hit, and I was among the minority here who welcomed the police investigation, despite the mockery of Boston fans and media and some here. To me it looked like criminal intent. I’m only sorry the investigation seems to have ended up as window-dressing.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I recently stumbled on a youtube clip of our old friend Ryan O’Byrne laying a nice clean, heavy hit on Chara that sends him to the ice. When Chara gets up, he completely abandons the puck and goes for O’Byrne, further reinforcing my belief that he has some kind of sense of entitlement which, in moments of unconscious reaction, is at a deep level more important to him than the game he’s being paid to play and the team he is being paid to lead. That kind of rage, in someone so immensely strong, is dangerous.

I can’t like or even admire him any more, even though I reckon in his calmer moments he’s aware of his issues. Remember he didn’t play for a couple of weeks after the hit? He knew.

I’m not much of a comeuppance guy, but I’d be interested in what he might have to say about it after he retires. Meantime, it looks as though Patches has laid it to rest (though you never know).

Bah! Didn’t mean to blather on. Your fault for triggering me!

Cheers. Happy Paddy’s Day.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I posted this example last night:

MB signs DD: 4 years 3.5 million per year…..16 points
      Lou signs Zajac: 7 years 5.75 million per year…..8 points
      Who do you think Kolvachuk would prefer to play with?

MB is already showing up other GMs and he just started…

10. Alex_425 says:

I’m absolutely down and out tired after the crazy work week I’ve had, but the slice of Irish in me is pushing to drag my legs over to the dep and get my undisputed favourite beer, The Black Stuff, on it’s best day of all.

And the Irish in me is winning.

Oh, yeah, that there hockey, uh, I actually woke up to my radio about a few minutes after they won, so it put a smile on my face as I passed out yet again.

I’ll have to watch the replay sometime today, but will it’s boringness put me in a coma?

But I’m no expert….

11. Lafleurguy says:

Cal’s pithy comment below about Timmins constructing the Habs best pipeline of prospects in a long time is bang on. Loved the era BEFORE the Dryden/Lafleur/Big Three/Others 70’s dynasty when guys like Mickey Redmond, Danny Grant, Rejean Houle, Tony Esposito, Chuck Lefley, Chuck Arnason, Doug Risebrough, Yvon Lambert, Mario Tremblay, Murray Wilson,others would appear with the team “suddenly” and look really good right off the hop. There was one draft in which Sam Pollock had 12 of the first 29 picks.

“May you live in interesting times.”

12. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

BTW Happy St. Patrick’s day to everyone and especially those of Irish decent…thanks for sharing your day with everybody…now where’s my Smithwicks…

13. Loonie says:

A defense prospect who hasn’t been over .5 ppg at any level, a player who has limited skills and offers nothing more than average offensive ability and nothing special defensively is an immovable prospect but a forward who had 22 points in 31 games with Hamilton last year, 58 points in 51 games in his only year of junior, and was a first round pick by Trevor Timmins is turning into a bust who hasn’t shown anybody any skills that will translate to the pro level.

I think there may be a lot of people still feeling the effects of a wonderful St. Patty’s party last night.

14. Mats Naslund says:

Last night Boone commented on the comparison made by Benoit Brunet of Jarred Tinordi to Hal Gill: “Brunet compares Tinordi to Hal Gill. Maybe a little more talented?”

It struck me last night when I read it but I couldn’t respond at that point – and I woke up still thinking of it this morning (pathetic right?). This has to be one of the laziest comparisons I’ve heard of for a prospect in a long time. No disrespect to Hal Gill who was a leader here and was somewhat immortalized in Montreal for his ability to play well above his skill level, but anyone who pretends to have knowledge of the game of hockey would stop seeing similarities in between the two at height and limited offensive upside. Again – Gill has had a long and fantastic NHL career and this is no way a slight to his ability to stay in the game as long as he has.

But Hal Gill was a pylon for much of his NHL career. His effectiveness as a defender comes from a long reach with his stick, and solid body positioning. He has none of the elite defending skills that made Tinordi a first round pick.

Yes Tinordi is tall. Yes, excellent stickwork and body positioning help Tinordi to be an effective shut-down defender. And yes he has limited offensive upside (though you will note he’s capable of a slapshot – unlike Gill). Anyone who watched the Memorial Cup last season also would have seen Tinordi playing 30 minutes per game in all facets of the London Knights defensive approach. He could only do that because Tinordi’s mobility, ability to move the puck, clear the zone, and his physical presence were so critical to London’s game.

Hal Gill was a black hole of puck possession. If he gained possession of the puck in the defensive zone, his first instinct was almost always to simply clear the puck (softly) regardless of whether there was an open pass. This became a hallmark of the Habs defensive approach during those years.

Those days are over in Montreal with Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Bouillon all capable of moving the puck while keeping possession. Tinordi brings bulk to that group, and though he doesn’t play with reckless abandon, he is SO much more physical than Gill ever was. But more importantly Tinordi brings puck-moving skills that will make him so incredibly valuable in the future. You won’t see him put up big offensive numbers, but Habs fans should be excited that Tinordi’s skillset profiles as a big physical guy who can do all of the things that make smaller defenders so valuable. His first pass is solid. His footwork (especially for a very tall man) is very good, and though he’s still raw in an NHL sense – he’s an incredibly polished defender.

I could go on but won’t. I just get tired of people grasping comparators for players that rest on superficial qualities like height or nationality. Jared Tinordi has so much more skill than Hal Gill its laughable, but because its not directly quantitative in form of goals and assists, there are those who make a connection (even if they should know better because hockey is their JOB).

I strongly disagree.

Comparing Desharnais to St. Louis which happens here everyday is the laziest comparison I’ve seen in recent memory.

They couldn’t be more different as hockey players.

• Mats Naslund says:

Then you don’t really disagree with my point at all. You agree with my point entirely – as I said that this was ONE of the laziest comparisons for the exact same reasons that apply to the Desharnais – St Louis case: height and nationality.

• Loonie says:

I don’t think the Gill comparison is unreasonable. Both huge and play a similar game. Gill was no creampuff early in his career.

He evolved.

• Mats Naslund says:

IN what way do they play a similar game? That is my whole point man! Other than being huge and defensive there is nothing similar in their game whatsoever! You just disagreed on the exact same basis as you called out others re: DD & St Louis!

• Loonie says:

No I didn’t, you just nitpicked and isolated the size comparison. To clarify, they defend the rush similarly in terms of gap control. They can play deeper than most players and it is due to their size. To avoid getting beat wide with speed they leave more gap than normal defending the rush because it’s difficult to get shots through them and it takes away the ability of the forward to beat them wide.

Also, Tinordi isn’t super physical. He’s physical when he has to be, not for the sake of just dishing out a hit.

Those comparisons are fair. And early in Gill’s career, he moved the puck quite well.

If the comparison was to mid-thirties Gill, I’m with you. If it was too Gill at a similar age, I’m not.

• The Juice says:

So you agree then? lol

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Lafleurguy says:

Skillsie could throw a better longball. Wonder who named him Skillsie? Young Tinordi has time to prove if he could be the phenomenal shut-down defenseman HG was. Remember some of Gill’s best games when he would be defending 5 on 3’s pk’s? Appear to be completely different offensive zone players and young Tinordi will have more scraps.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mats Naslund says:

I think Gill’s shut-down skills are a little overstated on the basis of a magical playoff run. People remember him killing 5 on 3’s but forget that the Habs took so many penalties because they were constantly chasing the puck due to a defense that couldn’t make a first-pass. Again, not to disparage Gill because he did what he could to the best of his ability. My entire point is that Tinordi’s skill as a young player is so far above what Gill is that the comparison is weak.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree with you about the Gill/Tinordi comparison not being accurate. I actually made a comment yesterday about Tinordi filling a void left by Gill but Tinordi is going to be WAY better.

Gill was brutal for 75% of his career but was able to buy into the systems in Pittsburg and Montreal and become a pretty important defenseman.

Tinordi is going to be banging and smashing and playing good defense right from the get go!

Gill was also a pussy! Excuse my french :-).

• Un Canadien errant says:

I watched l’Antichambre yesterday, and the in-between periods panels, and allow me to assure you that this isn’t as facile a comparison as you fear. Benoit Brunet and others made the same comparison, but all took pains to explain that comparables are tricky, and they do so only to illustrate his style of play and the type of impact he can have on a game. You’re quite right that they specified they were comparing his stickwork and reach and how that has an impact on the opponents and their passing options. They all mentioned that he has a better first pass, that his offensive game is developing and probably better than Hal’s even at this stage, that he moves better and that he’s more aggressive and tougher.

Stéphane Leroux preambled this exact comparison by saying he was doing so only because viewers were asking this question.

All analysts rejected out of hand any comparison to Zdeno Chara.

Renaud Lavoie explained that while he was stumped when he saw Jarred Tinordi at his first camp with the Canadiens, wondering what they saw in him, would he be a bust, he was also approached by Peter Chiarelli at the 2010 draft, who unbidden told him: “Wow, the Canadiens picked a good one there,” or words to that effect. So Mr. Lavoie tempered his skepticism with that, if a competitor said a nice thing to him about his rivals, that it meant something. Later, Mr. Lavoie got updates from Dale Hunter, who coached Jarred with the London Knights, and would praise his development, saying his mobility and aggressiveness were improving by leaps and bounds.

(EDIT) When Mr. Lavoie saw him at the next camp, he found the player completely transformed, much more coordinated and mobile. This was not unexpected, since he had finished his growth spurt at that point and was growing into his body.

Finally, Guy Carbonneau coached against the US squad at the U-17’s, and he explained that the benches were close together, and while he was impressed with his play, what caught his attention was the kid’s leadership, he could him speaking to his teammates on the ice and off, how he was encouraging everyone and bringing the slackers back in line. (EDIT) Jarred was serving as team captain for that squad.

So overally, good job by the RDS gang to flesh out our picture of a young player who we all rest a lot of our hopes on.

15. Habfan10912 says:

Dear Posters. I will pay good money for anyone who can delete my many post saying Brendan Nash will be that big physical defenseman we need.
    Thank you.
    Jim

16. LeHabfan13 says:

The Habs is playing the game the way it’s suppose to be played. With speed, Skill And finis. They’re not out to cripple or finish another players career like some other teams. I would rather the Habs lost every game than play that style

If the Habs win a cup someday with the style they adopted.They will be remembered as the team that won with skill. They didn’t have Goons or guys that wanted to fight all the time.

Good Team game yesterday Guys. Keep playing that style. Beautiful to watch Every Player doing their thing ….

• Loonie says:

Who didn’t win it with skill in recent years?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha, Loonie! You know we’re out here, waiting to take the bait! So I’ll chomp.

To answer your question: Boston.

Not that they didn’t have skill. Of course they did. But the skill, the size, the speed and the goal-tending that they brought to the playoffs was not enough to see them through. They additionally needed the league to want a team to win without keeping the rules, without playing fair, while being dirty and tarnishing the sport (or else reinforcing the image that Bettmann favours).

That’s as close as I’ll get to crying “Conspiracy”, but that’s how I saw that series.

Ok. Do your worst.

17. saskhabfan says:

I’m going to jump on the twilighthours express and add a post made by retromikey over 2 months ago. You would think the guy would learn by now.

RetroMikey

January 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

Wow….70% of fans here in the latest poll think our once mighty Canadiens will make the playoffs this season. Unbelievable.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets

18. FuzE_gus says:

That 52-1 run was quite something wasn’t it :-)

19. Chrisadiens says:

I was saving this for next week, but Twi has inspired me.

RetroMikeyFEBRUARY 22, 2013 AT 8:50 AM
    After the road trip, let’s see how you feel about the team.
    Praise the team now, glorify the team now, magnify the team now, etc…by the end of March, you’ll be crapping on the team as others here who have every right to, we want a winner, not a team that may be playoff bound season after season and may win a round or two if that.

People who continue put themselves out there will now be quoted for our enjoyment.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

20. ed says:

Habs win no matter what the circumstances.

All they do is win.

They win at home, they win on the road.
    They win with Price playing well, or even not so well.
    They win with Budaj – against Boston – in Boston!!
    They win when Diaz gets hurt – even though he was a top 4
    They win when Bourque gets hurt – even though he was a top 6
    They win when Prust gets hurt – even though he was voted MVP on HIO

All the Habs do is win, win, win.

21. Loonie says:

For those who are all down in the dumps about Louis Leblanc.

I suggest you take a look at this guy’s career path. Very similar circumstances early on but he turned out okay.

• Habfan10912 says:

I can’t help but think if his playing limited minutes last year with the big club might have slowed his develop some and then the high ankle sprain certainly didn’t help. Saw him score a wonderful goal in the outdoor game last year showing off those tremendous hands of his.

• ed says:

Louis needs to bring a tougher, no fear mentality to his game, and yes, he could do well by following Gionta’s style of play.

His shoulder injury and ankle injury have set him back two seasons in a row.

Next year, if he can stay healthy, I expect him to start to play with much more intensity, much more relentless.

Hey Louis – just watch Gallagher play! That’s the way it’s done.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Injuries have really slowed him down. Look how Eller is doing after having a healthy off-season and “injury free” start in Europe. Hopefully he finishes healthy and finds a good strength conditioning coach. 180 lbs is not going to cut it for him. Send him to Gary Roberts or somebody good.

• Loonie says:

I agree and posted near verbatim what you just did below a few minutes ago. He hasn’t been able to condition himself. He’ll likely settle into a third or second line role in the next couple of years.

22. twilighthours says:

I installed chrome on the iPad on the opening day of the season. Consequently, when I open chrome up, it suggests I visit the habs-leafs opening night game thread. I usually just click on it then navigate to the most recent post. Today, however, I read through the comments following that opening night loss. There are some gems, to be sure. But this one, by Alfie Turcotte, is the best:

“(Marc Bergevin is the next Houle). Bergevin has little experience in senior management. He was in charge of payer personnel for 1 year and was assistant GM for 1 year after the real brains behind the Hawks (Tallon) departed for Florida. Like MB, Houle had little experience. But heck, he spoke Francais quasi perfectly.”

Good times!

• Habfan10912 says:

I use to tell my colleagues at work to avoid putting anything in writing. You help provide support for that theory. I hope you will consider sharing more of these gems in the future. Thanks for the smile twi.

• twilighthours says:

Tom N’s got some nice ones… But I don’t want to get him upset so I’ll leave those out!

• Loonie says:

Hey hey be nice. I’ve been eating my crow on Therrien. I don’t think I was unfair toward Bergevin other than to say he seemingly ignored that we need size on defense.

If Tinordi sticks or he does something else to address the need I’ll be impressed but won’t change my tune on that.

Edit: You’ll have a hard time convincing me I was unfair toward Therrien. It was his history that lead to my judgement after all. But he certainly seems to have changed and I am humbled by it.

• showey47 says:

Maybe its a little unfair but tallon is really looking like the brains in florida right now,isn’t he.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That guy keeps pushing to trade Price too. I asked him three times to name a replacement and he wouldn’t..”just pick anyone with a better GAA”…right…what a waste of time that was…

• Mark C says:

I recall Alfie being outspoken about how bad of a signing Prust was. Too much money, fourth line player, etc.

• New says:

Yeah, you can use the archive selection on the side of the HIO page to do that as well for awhile back. It isn’t as much fun as it sounds. You start to dis most of the media (say where are the Bertrand Raymond quotes lately anyway) and a lot of the commenters. Better to just go with the moment. A lot more fun to just watch what the team is doing than scream incessantly about what they are not doing.

23. Danno says:

Can somebody please photoshop or cut and paste Brendan Gallagher’s head on to the body of a leprechaun? He’s that wee lad who’s very charming and lucky on our team. Seems to find pots of goals where nobody expects them.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Isn’t it DD the small guy who found the pot o’ gold?

24. Loonie says:

First round picks are such for good reason in most cases.

If Tinordi continues to play like he did last night he isn’t going anywhere.

Tinordi was physical but not seeking it out, he didn’t rush his decisions with the puck but made them quickly and accurately and most impressively in a lot of cases anticipated where he would be going with the puck prior to making a one touch pass.

He didn’t get lost in his own zone and defended the rush well and within the framework of the system as evidenced by him pinching at the offensive zone blueline and stepping up in the neutral zone.

When a fifth round pick who’s demonstrated nothing more than modest abilities all over the rink gets a call up and is billed as the missing piece there’s reason to laugh. When a first round pick with tremendous pedigree gets called up and plays like he did last night, there’s justified reason to think that under the right circumstances he can immediately become a valuable contributor out of the gate.

• Cal says:

Tinordi was making quick decisions with the puck all night. He knew what he was going to do before he had the puck on his stick. Played a very smart and efficient game. Stood out not for his size especially, but for his poise and quickness in his decision making. All in all, I was very impressed with him.
      Great to see the Habs pull out another smothering road win. Not too entertaining, but a well-earned two points.

• NL Hab says:

I couldn’t believe how confident Tinordi has become at such a young age. He wasn’t afraid to make mistakes which is what you want. The great thing about him is that he going to continue to get stronger and more confident with each game. Tremendous upside for him. Our defense is looking great for many more years to come. Apparently Dietz in the WHL has turned a lot of heads this year and also appears to be the real deal. Trevor Timmons really does a great job at evaluating talent. We have to give this guy a huge raise before some other organization scoops him up.

Et Le But

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I hope people who think it is okay to trade prospects for rentals have reassessed their view today.

• Loonie says:

You’re generalizing them. This organization would be fine if it traded Pateryn for a rental. It would be stupid to trade Tinordi for one.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people playing the depth chart game in the future like to include names like Thrower, Pateryn and Ellis. The reality is that it’s much more likely that Emelin, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Diaz are inked into the lineup for the next 3-5 years. If that’s the case, all of those guys are competing for one spot IF Bergevin doesn’t acquire a young or veteran NHL defenseman.

There just isn’t enough room at the inn for all of the pipe dreams.

• NL Hab says:

You never trade your young defenceman for rentals. Especially a guy like Pateryn. He is a good d-man, still very young. I know what you are saying with the core guys moving forward. However, you can’t have 6 or 7 defenceman signed at big contracts for 3-5 years. All the guys mentioned above will eventually be looking at 3-5 million per year. Subban is going to be about $6M or more starting next year. Diaz and Emelin are going to be looking for at least $3M when there current deals expire. And Beaulieu and Tinordi are going to be also in the $2-4M per year depending on how they progress. A lot of money in the back end in the salary cap era. That is why you use roster players as trade bait to unload some salry/cap and promote some D on ELC deals from Hamilton.

Et Le But

• Loonie says:

When you say “especially a guy like Pateryn” I chuckle.

What’s special about him? Nothing. He’s big and responsible defensively. The market is flooded with the exact kind of player he is. He’s the type of prospect you want to move if you have to move one for a rental.

The hype surrounding Pateryn is unbelievable.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Good observations – between the cap and fake parity this year I suspect if the Habs are players at deadline day the will counter intuitively be sellers, harvesting a leverage pick.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• NL Hab says:

No, the difference between him is that he is property of Montreal and we can sign him for cheaper and develop him the way we want to develop him. A lot of people gave up on McDonagh as well. That turned out great for us.

Et Le But

• Loonie says:

In my opinion Martin you’re making a grand assumption that a player with modest skills and ability will have a full-time role on a team that has an overabundance of skilled defensemen.

As long as Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges, Tinordi and Beaulieu are Habs it would be a minor miracle for Pateryn to earn a full-time role.

He’s easily expendable not only because of his abilities but the depth this team already has.

He may be competing with Nygren, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett, Sullivan and Didier for a #7 spot with the Habs.

He’s an afterthought.

• NL Hab says:

I’m just saying that you never trade away 22 year old defencemen for a rental. I watched him play last night against the Ice Caps and he was terrific. I’m not saying he is the next McDonagh, but I do see some talent there and I would wait until at least next year or the year after to see what we have. Many people are too quick to trade our young talent without even knowing what we got. He is a big strong guy, 6’3″. I read every day here on this site that we need bigger stronger D-Men. We got one. Let the kid develop.

Et Le But

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

There are posters that suggest since the Habs have so many prospects that they should take a shot at a rental especially if they have a shot to win the Cup. I just disagree. If there is no room to play a prospect then trade him for another or package him with a starter for a better player. The O’Byrne trade that landed Bournival is an example.

• Loonie says:

I’m not advocating trading a prospect for a rental. I’m saying if you have to, Pateryn is the perfect prospect to trade. Nothing special there.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Loonie, perhaps the ardor from the commentariat for Pateryn stems from the fact that he is a right handed shot and a slightly desperate hope that it somehow evinces the Leafs – hio’s second favourite boogeyman.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

HAPPY ST. PADDY’S DAY !

We are still hanging around on top, but Boston has games in hand and Pittsburgh is on fire, led by the Crosby Kid.

Here are the weekly stats where we sit in this 30 team league.

Points——42. We are in 3rd place. Last week 38 for 3rd place.
    Goals F—-90. We are in 2nd place. Last week 84 for 5th place.
    Goals A—-70. We are in 8th place. Last week 66 for 11th place.
    Goals Diff+20. We are in 5th place. Last week +18 for 5th place.

We play both the Bruins and the Pens twice more this season. Sure hope when they play each other, it is not 3 point games. But it will surely go down to the wire for top seed.

Hope Prust and Bourque are back for the showdown against both Boston and the Pens. We are going to need all hands on deck.

26. commandant says:

Top College Free Agents to Watch

My 7 best available NCAA free agents who could/should sign with NHL teams once their teams are eliminated.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

27. NL Hab says:

I was at the Hamilton vs. Ice Caps game last night. Nathan Bealieu is going to be a Superstar in the NHL. When he is on the ice, you just can’t take your eyes off of him. He can skate circles around everyone on the ice. He is so smooth with the puck and has a rocket of a shot. He still needs to get a lot better defensively and in his own end, but that will come in time. However, offensively, he is unreal. I would love to see how he would play at the NHL level this year even for a game or 2.
    I was also impressed with Holland and Bournival. LL was really disappointing. I was really looking forward to watching LL, but he was probably one of the worst guys on the ice. I was speaking to a fellow Habs fan at the game and he said he has watched him probably 4 or 5 times this year. We all want him to do well, but it looks as though he will have a hard time making it to Montreal. He is def not top 6, and the way our top 9 is playing, there is no way he makes it anytime soon. He is too soft as a 4th liner(He was getting pushed off the puck at will last night). Anyways, all our prospects have improved a lot since I last see them play in November, except for LL. Greg Pateryn played a great game last night as well. He was actually carrying the puck through the neutral zone quite a bit and was hitting everyone. Guess he wants to get back up to Montreal sooner rather than later.

Et Le But

• Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe the Habs can package Leblanc in a trade at the deadline? I saw Leblanc play very well the first few games of the season in Hamilton before his injury. Can he make it all the way back, only time will tell I guess?

Just like the Canadiens team as a whole last year, Leblanc could befit from a long summer of training hard and getting a fresh start next season.

But like you said, not sure where he fits on the current Canadiens. Espcially since this management group does it right by putting a 4th line out there with grit and without offensive hopefuls and defensemen.

• Loonie says:

Your opinion regarding Leblanc is incredibly similar to the opinions of the naysayers who didn’t believe in Eller.

The significance and volume of injuries Leblanc’s fallen victim to over the last two years have significantly effected his play.

When he has time to properly condition himself he’ll be fine. He’ll never be a Galchenyuk, but he could easily become a very valuable two way forward with scoring ability.

Disregarding the good in Leblanc over the course of his young career and focusing on the bad will surely lower expectations.

• NL Hab says:

He is young and will surely get better. However, I don’t even see a skillset to work with in him. With Eller, you could see that he had skills but just needed some confidence. Leblanc doesn’t possess any of the skills that Eller has.
        Leblanc cannot carry the puck and he has a weak shot. I don’t want to seem like this negative person who is tearing him down just to be mean. I just really don’t see any upside to him. He was drafted very high which has put high expectations on him. He could very well turn into a great bottom 6 forward for this team. However at the present time in Hamilton, I would put Holland, Blunden, and Bournival ahead of him. Oh by the, Nokelainen looked really good last night. He laid about 4 or 5 huge body checks. He is a good player and really strong on faceoffs. Not sure he lost a draw last night.

Et Le But

• Loonie says:

You’re disregarding everything that he demonstrated in international competition, junior, college, the ahl and montreal prior to this season.

He isn’t a can’t miss prospect, but if you don’t see the skills he has it’s because you didn’t pay attention previous to this year.

• NL Hab says:

We will have to agree to disagree. I have been a huge fan of him since he was drafted. I have been wishing nothing but the best for him. I hope I am wrong but I don’t see it. He did play very good against junior level players, I will give you that. However, playing in the NHL is a completely different animal. He is 22 years, so he is still very young with lots of time to improve. We will have a few openings next year and I hope he proves me wrong by playing lights out and earning a spot on the team.

Et Le But

28. habsfan0 says:

Happy St. Paddy’s Day everybody!

I’m beginning to think Marc Bergevin has a garden of 4 leaf clovers in his office.

29. Steeltown Hab says:

Tinordi had a nice game especially considering he was playing his wrong side.

Maybe I’m dreaming but I have the feeling Tinordi could potentially come in and making a subban esq impact in this years playoffs….not to that level but a similar coming out party

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• NL Hab says:

I was very impressed with his play. He played with a lot of confidence. Good for him.

Et Le But

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Was not happy that he was playing the wrong side but it worked out. I’m okay with it short term but it needs to be addressed long term. Imagine if Emelin played his natural left? Habs have been lucky so far to get away with this.

30. otter649 says:

Good start for Tinordi from what I saw of the game (last half third period) – On the ice for both goals scored……

31. Old Bald Bird says:

The game was a bit of a drag with the Devils dictating the style of play. Happily, the boys hung in and won on a surpise gift. When I switched to the Jets game during some of the timeouts, there was much more excitement. A pox on Devil-style hockey.

I don’t have a problem with the way CH24 is being done. Hotstove objected to the way that PK was brought in between periods, but it was done in a helpful and positive manner and showed good coaching going on IMO. It occurred when PK was being re-integrated into the system, and I appreciated seeing that he was being given some on-the-fly pointers. Hopefully, those in charge on CH24 will continue to be discrete in what they chose to show and how they edit.

• B says:

Did MacLean complain about CBC putting cameras in the dressing room before a game (or getting into hot water for showing what was on the team’s black board)? I doubt it.

–Go Habs Go!–

32. chinahab says:

Nice win but does anyone else feel that we’re playing with fire–that we need to hit more and play bigger. We got outmuscled by a Jersey team and just scraped out a win. It was nice, don’t get me wrong, especially on the road, but this isn’t the Devils of yore.
    I feel that the Habs are likely to prove to be a typical regular season dynamo. But once the games get tighter and the whistles are put away (i. e. playoff hockey), I just can’t see this team going far. Maybe I’m greedy and should be happy that we’re even on course for the playoffs. But I just wish we’d have drafted more Tinordi-type big bodies. A few small guys are okay but we’ve got way too many.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The playoffs will be the measuring stick.

• BJ says:

Its been a measuring stick since the season started. I think we are all surprised that we continue finding ways to win. I’m also concerned with our toughness and size. Having said that we are still winning without Bourque, Prust, Ryder and Diaz (who was having a great season). So I guess we’ll be measuring right up until we are at the end of the yardstick.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Also, next year will be a good measuring stick to see how real this year has been.

• BJ says:

Thats how it becomes when you haven’t won the Cup in 20 years, especially in Montreal. The measuring stick is 24 long.

• chinahab says:

We are missing some players but of them, only Prust is a proven hitter. Bourque can be, when his head is screwed on straight (like 50% of the time) but Diaz is not a hitter and Ryder is soft.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

You came up with this conclusion from watching last night’s game?

• chinahab says:

I don’t know what the final hit total was but I think we were massively outhit at least in the first two periods. It’s great to be able to take hits and keep coming but it’ll be much tougher to count on that in the playoffs. Then we won’t get all the PP time and will have to grind it out.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

In today’s thin-rostered NHL, everyone is playing with fire. You can “If” yourself into the blues, or just enjoy the show and not worry about tomorrow. This is the team we have, and it is an entertaining, hard working one. Relax and enjoy it.

So yeah, they were outmuscled last night. But NJ being NJ, they were also out-fatted – it was like watching guys skating through a foot of lard out there with that god-awful successful style of play the Devils threw out there. Ultimately, the Devils were outscored. I’ll take that.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Summing up what many of us have posted previously, hits are overrated – if you play a puck possession game, the other team is probably going to outhit you.

Do the hits cause turnovers? To me, the Habs are not being muscled off the puck and that’s the key.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

33. JF says:

Games against the Devils are nearly always boring and frustrating to watch, and last night was no exception. There was no room to skate, our offence was pretty well stifled, and I knew that a single mistake or unlucky bounce would probably decide the game. When the blatant trip on Lars Eller was ignored, leading to the Devils’ goal, I thought Chris Lee had decided it right there.

People complaining that Price never steals anything for us can perhaps relax. I think he stole that third period. No goaltender can be razor sharp all the time, and Price seems to have chosen his moment. But even during the couple of weeks when he was not at his best, he has not cost us any games.

Eller did not score, but he continues to be one of our best forwards. I thought Galchenyuk also looked good, more effective than in some games recently.

Very good first game for Tinordi. Looked confident, made no glaring errors. At some point, he’ll certainly be the big, crease-clearing defenceman we need, but it’ll take more games to determine whether that point is now.

The area of the Habs’ game that most needs improving is the penalty kill. Odd that when everything else is so much better than last year, that one area is worse. We really need to address this problem before the playoffs, when goals are usually few and far between and a powerplay goal can be the difference.

34. Gazza Strip says:

Good to get the W last night in an otherwise snoozer of a game. Hoping we pull off the next three heading into the games against the Penguins and Bruins at the end of the month.

Big shout out to the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds as they take on St. Marys tonight on Sportsnet. Go Reds.

35. rjcp says:

Should have been a shutout for Price, NJ penalty on Eller trying to clear the zone. Price was focused, especially that 3rd period, that’s what expected. Even the most biased Price supporters have to admit it’s not what we see from him on a regular basis and hence the occasional criticism. Full marks to Carey, he got the win tonight, hope he brings that same intensity, focus and engagement to every game from here on in.

HAPPY ST.PATRICK’S DAY!!!!!!

36. Habfan10912 says:

Tort alert. A calm and reflective and professional coach after the Rangers latest loss.

• Danno says:

WTF? Did Fonzie switch to decaf?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Phil C says:

On the CBC panel last night, PJ Stock implied that Torts may have lost the room, while the others said he is still a good coach. One of them pointed out that having the cameras in the room might be bad for coaches in that it can damage trust with the players, especially if it is edited in an unflattering way. They gave Boudreau in Washington as an example, and now Laviolette and Torts are struggling as well.

I hope this CH24 does not hurt Therrien because he is doing such a good job. As much as I like CH24, I would be just as happy if they kept the cameras out of the room.

37. The Cat says:

All this winning is getting kind of boring, L’antichambre is getting tedious to watch. Is a little adversity too much to ask?

38. Ian_Habs4life says:

Happy St.Patty’s Day everyone!
    Best day of the year :)

39. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning and Happy St Patrick’s Day from Ireland to all at HIO.

Bizarrely, it is snowing here.

Dry but important win last night, good debut by Tinordi, the emergence of Colby Lafleur (someone else said that), and Price looking more solid.

Go Pens, and wear the green and have a great day one and all.

Mike (whose Gazette route took him past the Forum every morning at 6.30)

• Habfan10912 says:

Top of the mornin to ya Lad! Hope you survive the white stuff but we’ve had our fair share of that stuff this winter. Wasn’t a lot of room to skate out there last night but a road win in this league is still a tough win. The teams road record is just phenomenal. Now we get to watch the Pens and Bruins beat each other up. CHeers my friend and be safe and well.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers Habfan! I remember so well how snow was always a tired idea come March. But here it’s ALWAYS welcome! And I shed a small, nostalgic tear…

But no such tears for Boston today! Go Pens! Could be a playoff preview…

• shootdapuck says:

Better stock up on poteen(PotAn) and cloves make some punch!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

40. Clay says:

Good on Winnipeg for taking their division lead. I would love to see them in the playoffs.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Clay. They’ve become my second favorite team. They are playing as well as any team in the league right now. I love to watch the games in Winnipeg. What a great crowd. Of course I wasn’t happy that they blew a 4-1 lead to the Leafs last night but at least in the end they kept a point away from Toronto. CHeers.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m an experiential rather than an observational learner, I pick things up by doing them instead of watching. Can you send them over so they can teach me those moves?

• Clay says:

I think I’ll join you.

__________________________

42. Propwash says:

Shameless plug.

Tomorrow is Saint Paddy’s parade, and later on that evening, The Berry Shandy (Cranberries tribute band) and Joshua (U2 tribute band) have a show happening at Pub Saint Paul starting at 7pm

Bit of a sample…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

43. Un Canadien errant says:

The cool thing about watching a defensive game that develops in fits and starts and that might otherwise be considered boring is that this one ended in a win for the good guys who vaulted back into first place in the Conference, and bumped the Penguins down to second in the conference and slapped the Bruins down to the fourth, where they belong. Well, not really, they belong in fourteenth, or in a penitentiary more likely, but it’s a start.

More cool things: Carey Price did what he needed to do, which is shut the door in the third as we held a slim lead. He’s been uneven lately, and some have posited that he might be bored, receiving so few shots that he has trouble concentrating and keeping warmed up and in the game. In le système de Jacques Martin, the team would collapse around Carey and make a heroic last stand any time it lost the puck, Carey (and Josh and Hall Gill) was bombarded with vulcanized rubber, and had no choice but to be in the game. Which is all well and good as an explanation, but not an excuse. He is a veteran now, a team leader, he’s seen as a frontrunner for inclusion on the Canadian Olympic Team for the Sochi games, so he needs to be sharp, excellent. He needs to be a reason we win games, not a cause of disappointing losses. He needs to make the adjustment in his mental approach to the game, and we really have no doubt that he will.

Also, Jarred Tinordi did well considering, after a couple of rough patches deep in his zone during shifts early in the first period. He seemed to settle down and didn’t look out of place the rest of the way, playing almost 15 minutes and contributing an assist on the winning goal by Tomas Plekanec, finishing the evening at +2, not bad for his first NHL game. We’ve been told over and over that he’s not going to be a point-getter, but he seems mobile and coordinated enough to contribute offensively, and certainly seemed more self-assured with the puck than Greg Pateryn did during his callup. The really cool thing was seeing Francis Bouillon, during the celebration after Tomas’ goal, approaching with a beaming smile and reaching up, way up, way way up to pat Jarred on the noggin’.

Colby Armstrong scored his first goal of the season, finally, unassisted and top corner on a wicked, whirling wrister. Not bad at all. He was on a drought of Darcheian proportions. Like Mathieu’s start to last season, he kept fanning on shots on open nets and hitting posts and impotently jamming at the puck in scrambles and somehow not converting. In his defence, Colby wasn’t getting the primo minutes and powerplay time that were bestowed on Mr. Darche by Jacques Martin, he has been doing the work that was expected of him, which is play a solid fourth-line role and not hurt the team defensively. It’s just that maybe he was taking the whole “your fourth-liners aren’t expected to score” thing to an exaggerated level.

P.K. didn’t make it on the scoresheet, but again played a good game. He has changed so much compared to last season, especially the first half. He plays much more disciplined, taking advantage of opportunities to make the easy play, so that when he busts the saber out of the scabbard and goes a’swashbuckling, it’s more of a surprise and defenders are getting caught off-guard. Last season, very often they were waiting for him to try to deke and would poke the puck off him, now if they close the gap on him he just deals the puck to someone else. He’s still doling out big hits, and accepting some punishment in return, but he focuses on playing hard instead of mugging and diving and taking cheap retaliation penalties. He’s not yapping and trying to be an instigator, a role that is beneath his talent, he’s now focusing on being the best player on the ice and being a problem opposing defenders and coaches have a hard time solving. He does what he needs to do, whistle to whistle, and then goes to the circle for the next faceoff. He took a couple of big slappers today, but overall his shot selection and decision-making is much better than last season, he lets her rip once in a while but mixes in some slap passes, some wristers, some fakes to allow him to find a better shooting lane. I am over the moon at how he has modified his behaviour and improved his play as a result.

Not cool thing: Ryan White took an unnecessary holding penalty in the offensive zone and was in the box feeling shame when the Devils scored. Right now, injuries almost ensure that he’ll remain in the active roster, but I fear this won’t go unnoticed, and he might be digging himself a deeper hole. Worse, I’m afraid he’ll become even more tentative, instead of being the guy who played like his hair was on fire the previous two seasons. I don’t want to beat the dog out of Ryan, I appreciate what he can contribute, I just want him to find his groove. I don’t necessarily want him fighting as often as he did late last year when he carried on his bromance with Brad Staubitz, but I do remember fondly the aggressive and effective forward from two seasons ago, and I want him back.

———————————————————————–

• savethepuck says:

Be surprised if there is a bigger Carey fan than me, but I won’t make excuses about boredom for him, I think the guy just had a couple of bad weeks, which has happened to every goaltender that has ever played in the NHL. Before the Pittsburgh game 2 weeks ago, followed by the Islanders game, he was 4th or 5th in GAA and 8th in save %. His #’s dropped drastically in the last 2 weeks, but the team kept winning. It was only a matter of confidence issues and regaining his focus. As a former goaltender I know what it’s like, the first 4 goals against in the Pittsburgh game were not his fault, a back door, 2 screen shots, etc…..but these things weigh highly on a tenders psychy. Mind wanders etc…and just needs a good game or 2 to get his mindset back.
      I thought Tinordi had a great coming out party, he definitely didn’t look like he did not belong.
      So glad Colby finally potted one, he’s been taking a lot of crap for not scoring, but honestly people should realize that if he does, it’s a bonus.
      Your assessment of PK is bang on. He’s obviously going to make mistakes because of the huge minutes he is playing, but he is greatly limiting those mistakes, simplifying his game, and playing smart hockey while getting amazing results ( best of his career ) offensively.
      “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• vancouverite says:

Great post.
      I wonder if the 6-game limit before Tinordi’s contract counts for this year includes playoffs? As in could we keep him for 4 or 5 more games and call him up again come playoff time? Or would that make his ELC start this year? (I feel he could bring a boost to our lineup come rugged playoff hockey, like Subban did in 2010)

• savethepuck says:

This time Tinordi’s time with the CH has nothing to do with the 6 games. The 6 games has to do with when a prospect enters his RFA years. I am not 100 % sure but it refers more to someone coming out of Junior and being more worried about burning a year of their RFA status. It has to do with the CBA, which I think says that a drafted player remains with a team with limited negotiating rights for 7 years, or until the age of 27. The reason everyone is worried about that, is that if we have someone like Chucky, who enters the NHL at the age of 18. When he is 25, he’s an UFA as opposed to entering til he’s 20, then his UFA status isn’t until he’s 27.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• 24 Cups says:

This season counts as the first year of Tinordi’s ELC whether he plays in Hamilton or Montreal. The same applies to players such as Beaulieu and Ellis, even if they never play a game in the NHL this season.

That’s why DD’s new contract is for one year of RFA and three years of UFA. All his seasons in the minors count as pro years even though he’s only been in the NHL for 2.5 years.

• habstrinifan says:

I got up bored.. you now the kinda bored when you visiting and can’t sleep or do the normal noise-making activities you do at home and came and read HIO. I forgot how engrossing your game-recaps were. I enjoyed this a lot. Please add some of the extra ‘french’ phrases that you used to. Only found one this time. I compare you to the announcer who use to be on team690 Morning show.. Cassavante(?) and who brought an meticulous erudity to the show which I preferred than the apparently popular Ted Bird who reminds me of Donald Trump. But I digress. I enjoyed the read and agree especially re White.

44. Sportfan says:

Back! Haha wooh Tinordi with the assist! He played a decent game no?

• savethepuck says:

He looked far from out of place, and I was bbm’ing with my brother how good he looked, long before he got his assist. To me, that was just icing on the cake ( in the form of the game,etc winning goal of course )

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

45. Clay says:

Oh my…

__________________________

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…2 things hockey

…first, love the big V on the Canucks’ retro uni …love the colour & arm stripes …looks a lot more imposing than the whale & blue (sapphire blue is My favourite colour, but in hockey I always associate ‘loser/dweeb’ teams that wear blue :) )

…but lose the white pants

…second, very impressed with Tinordi’s presense in what I have seen so far …much more mobile than expected, and lots of hockey sense …He is close for the Big Show …again, sooner than expected

• savethepuck says:

If you were out watching the fight tonight with your son, you definitely didn’t hear Friedman’s comments on the HNIC pregame show. He said that when drafted Tinordi was supposed to be a long project, and nobody expected him to play an NHL game in his first pro season. But according to his AHL “sources “, they think he is ready.
      “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…during the summer I said I would not be surprised that Tinordi was brought up for ‘a taste’

…but, actually watching the little bit of tonight’s game I have so far, Jared really impressed Me with His mobility and His ability moving the puck

…very small sample, but He impressed enough to be not surprised He may be playing a part in Our playoff run

• savethepuck says:

To me, as long as I didn’t see him making any mistakes, I would of been very happy. He looked very steady to me, a couple of hiccups of course, but no different than any other DMan on the roster tonight or any other night.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

I want the Canucks to give up with the cutesy orca and the busy jersey and just go with the clean retro jersey, Pacific green and blue and white. Please. Have mercy, admit all the others are a mistake and go back to the original, best unis.

Lord, I saw someone with the navy and maroon jersey on the other day, I was wondering what the poor guy was thinking.

• shootdapuck says:

Chris,

Not pants but PJ Stock model Adult Diapers!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

47. jols101 says:

I’m not a MMA fan but since someone posted a link, I watched the GSP fight. I found it kind of boring. Too much rolling around and hugging on the floor. The fight before him was great; they stood up and went toe to toe.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that’s the insiders reservation with GSP …the inability to finish by KO

…but, I prefer to out-smart an opponent than out-power

…though, nice when You can put the lights out on obnoxious boors, isn’t it ? :)

• Clay says:

You should have seen the last GSP fight against Condit (from the fight before tonight). Very entertaining.
      But make no mistake – GSP is the best in his weight class, and one of the best 2 fighters period. He does what he needs to do to win.

__________________________

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, that’s the only knock against GSP – his wrestling is so dominant that fights aren’t often exciting streetfights, trading punches and knees and kicks.

But hey, it’s up to GSP’s opponents to solve him.

• Stevie.Ray says:

There’s a ton of strategy and skill necessary by both fighters when they are on the ground. Mma is so much more exciting when you start to learn what they are doing, or trying to do, and what the other fighter is doing to stop them. I find the fights where the two opponents stand and trade blows to be the most boring. It’s like watching a couple of Bruins go at it.

• savethepuck says:

Because of all the hype, I spent over 1/2 hr trying to get a link to the fight, and finally succeeded to view it early in the 3rd round. It was my first viewing of a UFC fight, have no plans of ever paying for a pay per view, but it wasn’t that bad.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

48. Storman says:

Who new Raphael Diaz could give GSP any type of fight.

49. H.Upmann says:

Seems to me Van’s windows is closing. I dont think they have the same team culture anymore.. Interesting maroon jerseys…

• Un Canadien errant says:

True, we can see it happening, but let’s wait until Kevin Bieksa is 100% and Ryan Kesler is back to evaluate them. Of course, now David Booth is hurt…

If they could trade a goalie and get some pieces back, that would help too.

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…GSP over Diaz !

…was worried Diaz was into GSP’s head, and expected a tough battle …fearing Diaz’s boxing/all-around skills would be dangerous for George

…I believe George wound up with a broken nose, but his ground and pound/wrestling skills were the difference

…not hockey, but watching a Devils’ game is like watching paint dry, so Quent and I have PVR’d :)

…GO GSP Go !!! …Go Habs Go !!!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Diaz started blocking take-downs in the third and connected with some shots. Then GSP regained control in the fourth and that was it. Hendricks should be interesting.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…GSP taking some big lumps lately …amazing how He maintains His pretty face

…Hendricks will want to lay a concussion on George

…I don’t know, at some point, especially with a smart-guy like GSP, You say to Yourself, I’ve beat the best …but, there will be always another coming along bigger, more dangerous, it never will stop …and, why do damage to Myself that will make My old age an invalid ?

…instead of Hendricks, or others like Him, I would let Dana put together an Anderson Silva fight, and win or lose retire and count My money

• Clay says:

Silva is scary…I think he is perhaps the only man who could beat GSP at his best. But I would love to see the fight, and would hope I was wrong in thinking so.

__________________________

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think there is at least 20 pounds difference in their natural weights …definitely won’t be a knock-out or submission if George would win …it would, again, be points

• Clay says:

I wouldn’t so much say that ‘GSP regained control’ so much has he never lost it. If all Diaz could muster was stuffing a few take-downs, that hardly counts as being in control. And all the judges gave the 3rd round to GSP as well.

__________________________

51. Storman says:

Michigan Tech 2 U of North Dakota 1 Danny Kristo the only Goal 24th of the year

Darren Dietz in on all 3 blades goal in a 4-3 shootout loss to Prince Albert Raiders

52. The Teacher says:

So. Are we even allowed to sign PK to an extension this year?

• Hab No Fear says:

Yes we can, but it only kicks in after his current contract

• jols101 says:

Actually, teams can’t offer an extension till the final year of current contract. So in PK’s case, Bergevin will have to wait till next year.

• savethepuck says:

PK would be stupid to discuss it right now if he has any confidence in his abilities. He will get paid, which the organization expected, but if they gave it to him before this season, based on CAP hit, the team would be screwed on the salary cap next season. PK is an extraordinary talent, but I also think Andrei Markov is going to make another man very, very rich. He should charge commissions.
      BTW. Not that I don’t think PK shouldn’t be one of the highest paid players on the team.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

Negotiations can begin on an extension on July 1. The CBA prevents renegotiating deals, you can only extend them, and these extensions can only be signed when there is a year or less to expiry.

53. savethepuck says:

Now that the GSP fight is over, is anyone here to talk about our Habs. Don’t think there are anymore measuring sticks for this team. Playing with confidence, injuries and all. How about Tinordi? Looked far from out of place to me. Nothing spectacular, even with the assistance, but looked very steady in close to 15 minutes of ice time. Read a few things about a couple of iffy moments, but you can say that on any given night about PK, Markov, Gorges, Book, or Emelin. Way too early to anoint him, but I just thought he had a great debut.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Can’t stop Tavares…Crosby neither…

• savethepuck says:

If Habs end the season 0-3 against the Isles but still finish 1st overall in the East, the record against the Isles will mean Dick all to me. Same as when we were ahead of the Laffs but 0-2 against them ( although I had a hard time spitting that one out At the time ).
        The team is bound to loose games, but I think they’ve done a good job proving themselves and should be getting some respect.
        A lot of comments about the Bruins for sure catching us because of their games in hand, but our record over the last 10 to 15 games has been better than theirs. Now it’s only 2 games, 1 after tomorrow, and we’ll be either 1 point ahead or at worst 1 point behind. Not long ago they had 3 or 4 games in hand with the same point differential.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Give Diaz some credit…he blocked many take-down attempts. I’ve never seen anyone block so many of GSP’s take-downs before. If he wasn’t so screwed up in the head, he probably could have done much better.

Kevin Weeks is so out of place on HNIC. He never says anything other than a couple of filler meaningless phrases.

56. Clay says:

Wow…I thought Diaz would put up a better fight than that. Good for GSP! 5-0.

__________________________

57. Empty Calories and Male Curiosity says:

Boone, Habs have one regulation loss in their last seventeen games. The Broons-hangover game against the Icelanders being it.

Nice final push by GSP

59. jedimyrmidon says:

Go to the Canadiens site and watch Armstrong’s postgame comments… and Markov making an unexpected appearance.

60. showey47 says:

Diaz is spending more time face down and ass up then ah…..nevermind.

61. Prairienewf says:

Wow! So proud of the habs this year. So surreal. Wow! Tinordi, Subban, etc. future looks bright. These guys have really bought in, and with many injuries. The offensive style skating seems to be at the forefront ahead of the aggressive forechecking which we saw lots of early in the season. But maybe it’s a pre-game game by game plan of attack based on the opposition. Whichever it is just hope it continues. Special year it’s shaping up to be. Really hoping Bourque gets back and starts contributing. The guy deserves a good bounce back after last year.

Once again, I am hoping for a lot of hurt/injured bodies tomorrow.

I can’t believe that Carolina sits in the third and the team that has many more points sits behind it in the 4th. How about changing THAT rule?

• deuce6 says:

I agree..I think that the team not be given 3rd, but simply guaranteed a playoff spot..Wildcard, if you must..

——————
      Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry but is this question relevant now with realignment coming?

• TheLogician says:

whoever comes in 6th will probably end up with an easier playoff matchup than the teams in 4th and 5th. not fair.

GSP’s ground game is devastating and his take downs are almost impossible to defend against.

65. habitual says:

‘Devils hockey is about as exciting as watching Tony wash his car or Portnoy pleasure himself. ‘ – M BOONE.

Boone: If you are awake and sober: very good.

66. Prairienewf says:

Soooo, did GSP win?

I hope Pittsburgh wins in regulation. The Habs would still have two games in hand on them, would remain 1st in the NE Division and only drop to to 2nd in the Eastern Conference. Boston winning puts the Habs at 4th in the Conference.

• Puck Bard says:

HH? Where you been? I agree… and may I say…what is with Vancouver?!

“arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Especially this early in the season, it’s no contest. I want the Penguins to win. They’re a good team with only Matt Cooke as a blemish. The Bruins are proof that if God exists, he’s a cruel jester.

68. Puck Bard says:

Wow… Tinordi, a win, and a Portnoy’s Complaint reference: I’m good.

69. Captain aHab says:

Nick Diaz is one ugly MOFO.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

70. Cape Breton says:

PK tonite played perhaps the best game i’ve ever seen him play. What a stud! James Norris, maybe not this year, but for sure in the near future. Reminds me of Larry Robinson, what a compliment. eh?

What do you think Mr. Boone?

71. blu3chip says:

Kinda sucks that our Habs will lose the top spot tomorrow no matter what…

72. Say Ash says:

Whoa, they went 52-1 in one segment? Not bad!

73. Propwash says:

GSP fight starts in a couplea minutes!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

74. monmick says:

First…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

75. savethepuck says:

They are 0-2 on their last 2 back to backs and blew 3rd period leads in both games, so I hope you are right.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

76. habstrinifan says:

GOOD SUNDAY Morning to you Shiloh.. Happy good ST pATRICK DAY to all of HIO. Shiloh, loved your ‘talking points’. I like your description of Blunden’s play. It fits with what I have been saying all along… that Blunden is a better, more versatile, and hard-working player than is revealed by a cursory look at his stats or even his lack of eye-catching impression during the game. I think you summed it up in an eye opening statement…he never seems to take a shift off. An admirable and involved quality for a utility player.

My question is. Does anyone else think that Blunden is one of those players who WILL not show well (and therefore attract for ‘call-up’) in the AHL because he doesnt do things like score;fight;aggravate etc uniquely eye-catching enough and therefore may fly under the radar. I think he is a smooth; player and as I said before eliminates an opponent from the play without eyecatching grit or turmoil.
    I think he is ‘better’ than White and with a little showing can add a Prust pest factor to his game. Would you like to see him stay with the HABS… maybe even at the expense of White.

77. Habfan10912 says:

Good points all Shiloh. May I suggest you add 1 more. with 5 minutes left in the game and the score 2-1 out comes Tinordi to take his regular shift, The coach showed tremendous confidence in a kid playing his 1st NHL game. Strong message from coach to player, eh?

78. Habfan10912 says:

Morning Trin. You may have hit the nail on the head in regards to Blunden. He’s not a top 9 forward, at least in my eyes. Most coaches want some grit out of their 4th liners and it seems that’s not Blunden’s game. I’d put him in the same category as Kyle Chipchura who was just not quite talented enough to crack a top 3 line job and did not have the grit for a 4th line roll. Funny thing though when Kyle was moved he sort of reinvented his game. Maybe Blunden can do the same?

79. Boomer says:

excellent news!

80. Sportfan says:

That’s good news! In a couple of years we’ll have a solid D corps with many of our own drafted players that’s really cool shades of Expos farm systems.

81. Mr. Biter says:

Sorry who is Dietz?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

82. slapshot777 says:

I am drooling just thinking about our future and the outlook we have coming up and through the pipeline. Timmins work is finally being shown just what kind of scout he his. His talent for picking these gems are outstanding. He is the guy who we should be thanking for this team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

83. Boomer says:

He plays in the WHL and is a good prospect in our system. :)
    His team is going to host the memorial cup this year so we’ll all be able to watch him play. I think you’ll like him

84. naweed235 says:

how dare you insult Moose

85. Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re right, Nova. And in fact, I don’t think you have to be a Crosby to spin Chara around and fluster him into turnovers. You can see DD do it, sometimes Gionta.

86. Loonie says:

They play a similar way in their own end. That’s the comparison.

87. habs-fan-84 says:

isn’t it ridiculous

88. Danno says:

Pierre has relatively little credibility

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

89. Loonie says:

We have Eller, Bourque, Holland, Bournival, Gorges, Plekanec and two second round picks in the coming draft because of Gauthier.

All he gave up for that bounty is Halak, Cammalleri, O’Byrne, Kostitsyn, Gill and cap space.

90. Haberoooo13 says:

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

91. Habilis says:

You may be getting at least part of your wish. Letang is out with a LBI, will not return.

Pens will feel it if he misses any significant time.

92. habs-fan-84 says:

Krejci done

93. Psycho29 says:

Paging Dr. Recchi……Paging Dr. Recchi….

94. Rugger says:

Kind of hard to use that excuse when the B’s only get one penalty and that is for delay of game.

95. jols101 says:

Ha, that is funny. Two old dmen and a 25th – 30th overall pick for Malkin, the 2nd best player in the NHL, that move would give Bergevin God-like status.

96. rnnoble says:

You can read some really crazy trade suggestions on this site, but that is really one-sided! If Bergevin pulled that off, I say we auto-induct him into the Canadiens Hall of Fame!

97. CharlieHodgeFan says:

You’re joking, right?

98. NB Hab says:

My first post. Been reading this site for a couple years. Was wondering if MB should look at acquiring Matt Martin from NYI. He is 23 and locked up for another 3 years, plays 12 min. a game and avgs 5 hits per game. He plays LW and RW 6-3 220 and had almost 400 hits last year and 15 fights. We have alot of prospects at RW so why not offer Moen and say Colberg for him. We would still have Kristo, Leblanc,Holland,Dumont,Qualier,Avtsin,and Prybl in the pipeline.

99. joeybarrie says:

I am glad we are fighting and should continue to do so for first.
    While only one team can win the Stanley Cup, coming in first isnt easy and thats a good thing as well.
    The biggest problem is simply this….
    CAN THE HABS BEAT PITTSBURGH OR BOSTON IN A SERIES???
    We have almost all the components we need.
    PK is playing pretty good, and if he continues that will help a lot.
    Markov is capable of so much.
    If Price is on, then we have an excellent chance.
    We have scoring from many different players, and that needs to continue. I find the previous coaching regime relied to heavily on specific players to win games. I prefer this team mentality. Mostly cause its working of course…..
    If we stay reasonably free from injuries and maybe a tweek or two. We can make a run.
    Of course everyone predicts the teams who are the hottest right now will meet in the finals.
    GUESS WHAT?????? They are the hottest right now. Will they be in the playoffs?
    I would love to see an excellent steal or two in a trade.
    ALL THAT BEING SAID. I am very happy with where the core of this team is going. If we continue to move forward, we can absolutely make a run a few times in the near future.
    But just to flip flop again, Carbo is right. You dont always get a chance, so if you do, do the best you can…
    We arent going to win the Cup 5 times in a row… I want just one right now. And I would give up a lot to get it… Just not everything.

100. jols101 says:

Interesting, but do not throw Colberg into any trade for a 4th liner. He could be a great sniper in the NHL in a couple of years. Besides Galchenyuk, he has the most offensive upside of all our young guys.

101. Dunboyne Mike says:

Welcome NB.
    (Where in NB?)
    Scroll all the way to the bottom — there’s a Leave a Comment box.
    Great time to join – have fun.

102. BJ says:

Welcome NB. I was born in Edmundston too many years ago. Giving up Colberg in a trade for Martin is probably too generous, but looking into getting Martin on the 4th could be something to look into.

103. NB Hab says:

You have to give to get and from what I have read of him he has the potential to be a power forward on a 3rd line in the future , basicly a Prust type but only bigger which is something MTL really needs against the Bostons of the NHL. Colberg is signed thru next year in Europe so he is at least 2 years away and in the meantime Kristo and Leblanc will be available for next year, not to mention the picks in the first 2 rounds this year that potentially can be RWs like Zykov,Bailey,Sorensen,Mantha, Olivier-Roy,and Hartman.

104. NB Hab says:

Could also ask for a pick back as well.

105. jols101 says:

I totally agree with you that he is the type of player Montreal needs just not for Colberg, if the habs want him or someone like him they have far less valuable pieces to offer then Colberg. Of course, all just IMO.

106. HUDSONHAB says:

I thought I read on here that Kristo has no intention of signing with the Habs. I’m not sure what this season will bring but I hope the future is being taken care of.
    ….Hab4life….

107. Dunboyne Mike says:

Sackville for me. Cape Tormentine didn’t (doesn’t?) have a hospital.

108. NB Hab says: