About last night …

GallagherTB

With an offhand remark he made during Saturday’s edition of L’Antichambre, Mathieu Darche captured the spirit that has lifted your amazing Montreal Canadiens from worst to first in the Eastern Conference.
The panel was talking about the dogged determination that has characterized Brendan Gallagher’s play this season, exemplified by the winning goal he scored from the edge of the blue paint in the Tampa Times Forum.
“I’d take David Desharnais and Brendan Gallagher,” Darche said, “100 times over Andrei Kostitsyn.”
And with all due respect to Darche, a gamer who gave 100 per cent, we’d all take the 2013 Canadiens 1000 times over the team we’ve endured through recent seasons.

Playing without one of their Top Six forwards (Rene Bourque), without a Top Four defenceman (Raphael Diaz) and, for the last 10 minutes of the game, without Brandon Prust, their emotional sparkplug, the Canadiens erased a two-goal deficit, held the home team to two third-period shots – none for the first 18 minutes of the frame – the Canadiens racked up their 16th win in 25 games this season.

Eight of the Ws have come at the Bell Centre, which is once again a happy place. And eight have come on the road.

That could be nine road wins by the time the team boards a charter flight back to Montreal Sunday night. Even though they have a cross-state trip to Sunrise, the loss of an hour and a 6 p.m. puck drop against the struggling Panthers, the Canadiens have a decent chance to record their fourth win on a five-game road trip.

Even without Prust.

In his postgame remarks, Michel Therrien praised the courage of his newly-wounded warrior. Prust injured – or perhaps reinjured – his left shoulder on a Prustian play, flying into the glass of the Tampa Bay zone in an effort to prevent an icing call.

The guy doesn’t know how to let up.

Nor does Gallagher, whose determination, Therrien said, is “an example for his teammates”.

The coach also found good things to say about Michael Ryder – “he played well defensively and concentrated on small details” – and Hamilton call-ups Greg Pateryn – “played solid defence, didn’t take chances, made a good first pass and kept it simple” – and Gabriel Dumont, who played with intensity and won two crucial defensive zone faceoffs.

The injury to Prust obliged Therrien to make some late-game adjustments. Dumont and Colby Armstrong played shifts with Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk. And despite Ryder’s strong effort – five shots on goal, two assists – Therrien thought it prudent to play Travis Moen with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta late in the game.

Pateryn, a righthanded shot who se addition let Francis Bouillon play his natural left side, played 9:13, which is a shade less than what we’ve been seeing from the Number Six defenceman. At the other end of the ToI scale, P.K. Subban played 27:42, blocked three shots and was not on the ice for either of the Lightning’s even-strength goals.

Alexei Emelin was on for two TB scores but continued his positive contributions to the offence, popping his second goal of the season to tie the game at 3-3 less than halfway into the the final period.

I love the defensive system the Canadiens are playing this season. But when a lineup that includes Steven Stamkos, Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier goes 18 minutes without a shot on goal, you have to think something is wrong in Tampa.

The Lightning are sinking fast in a Southeast Division against which the Canadiens have feasted this season with a perfect 8-0 record. They swept two games in Tampa for the first time in six years.

It wasn’t easy.

The Canadiens dialed up yet another second-period suckfest, yielding three goals, two of which could be traced to faceoff losses in the defensive zone. Ryan Malone was an immovable force in Carey Price’s kitchen through the first 40 minutes. Steven Stamkos’s league-leading 19th goal was a consequence of Ryder responding to a borderline hit by bitching the call and taking himself out of the play. And Sami Salo was left alone in the slot when, in short order, David Desharnais lost a D-zone faceoff and Max Pacioretty lost his stick and his coverage.

So Therrien and his staff will have fodder for some video chalk-talk, if there’s time before the game against the Panthers.

A greater likelihood is the coach, who has pushed all the right buttons this season, will just tell his Canadiens to do what they’ve done through most of the season’s first 25 games:

Play hard, play smart, trust the system and your teammates … and win one for the Pruster.

• The Canadiens lead the NHL with 12 players who have 10 or more points. Brandon Prust and Alexei Emelin have nine … Carey Price‘s 13 wins lead the league … the Northeast Division has four teams with 30 or more points. The rest of the league has three … Brendan Gallagher‘s third game-winning goal tied Andrei Markov for the team lead … Michel Therrien juggled his pairings in the third period, playing P.K. with Markov and Josh Gorges with Emelin … Emelin’s 88 hits lead the team and Prust is second with 62. Third place? Lars Eller with 41.

1. cthabfan says:

I hate the shootouts also. If after 5min. of 4 0n 4, go to 3 on 3 for 5 min. I don’t believe there will be many shootouts after this. Still a team sport with the 3 on 3 concept.

2. Sportfan says:

Lars is throwing his body around nice! I think we’d need a big D or another Prust Forward that hits back too dont cha think?

3. frontenac1 says:

Ladies curling is great. Ladies golf is good when Paula Creamer and Natalie Gulbis are playing.

4. ProHabs says:

Love that comment by darche yesterday on ac. Ak46 was such a cancer to the team. Hated that guy. Lazy bum.

5. Bun E. Laroque says:

Sure is great to have a team that can come back in the third period.
    Now who is going to step up tonight?

6. Sportfan says:

Looks like Darche doesn’t like AK very much :P

• Danno says:

I was surprised to see Darche name names like he did last night. I hope they have him on more often.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• commandant says:

Darche was a heart and soul player. No talent, all work ethic.

Kostitsyn was the opposite, all talent, no work ethic.

Easy to see why Darche can not like the guy, when you are working your ass off and don’t have enough talent to win the game, you see your teammate with all the skills in the world floating and resentment grows.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• PureGuava says:

I have always had a ton of respect for Darche, but this comment shows a complete lack of class by him. If he had a third of the natural talent the Kostitsyn had he’d still be playing.

Having that poor kid playing for Jacques Martin was like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of the garage.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
          – Robert Anton Wilson

7. frontenac1 says:

Why do they keep screwing around with the clocks? I just lost an hour of Saloon time. My drinking team has a hockey problem.Saludos!

A BIG PART TO THIS GAME
    We can talk all about Prust and Gallagher’s dogged tenacity, and it is wonderful the way they have fired up this team.
    But if I was one of those two guys, I would have a few strong words to tell my team mates in the dressing room.

If these two guys and others play their hearts out, being hard on the puck and keeping it in the opposition’s end of the rink with super effort.
    Then the rest of the players that ice the puck continuously because of laziness or they need practice hitting our own players sticks with passes, or not skating to the red line before dumping it in, causing icings and face offs back in our end, that give the opposition shots on goal. Because of one of our teams overall weaknesses of not winning face offs.

Half of the time the opposition gains our end of the rink is through our own stupidity with icings.

Pretty discouraging for the players working their tails off keeping the pressure in the other end, when other players gives the opposition so easy entrants to our zone icing the puck, with a scoring chance or an injury, like we all saw last night.
    On the ball or on the bus boy’s! Get this constant icing under control!!
    Toe Blake must be rolling in his grave.!

• New says:

The goals against are forming a pattern as well. It isn’t the D not covering. Sometimes too the advantage of a bigger player isn’t that he is big, it is that it takes longer for a smaller player to get position on him. So an advantage of fast and quick disappears in your own end where the guy with the puck turns and your back is to the play and you’re 12 feet away from the puck. If you’re small or big you need to think not where the puck is going but where it will be when he gets his stick on it, or get there first. Chasing where the puck was last seen heading isn’t usually the best course of action.

9. Mattyleg says:

Sunday Morning Jokes:

A guy was in the supermarket when he noticed an attractive lady looking at him. Over the course of a few minutes, they kept catching each other’s eye, until finally the man said to the lady,
    “Sorry, do I know you?”
    The lady replied,
    “Yes, you’re the father of one of my children.”

The man’s face fell. His mouth opened and shut, and then it dawned on him:
    “Oh my God! Are you the stripper from my bachelor party that I had sex with in the inflatable castle while my buddies cheered me on and your assistant whipped me with soggy celery and shoved a carrot up my bum?”

“No,” said the woman. “I teach your son math.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. Gazza Strip says:

Good point. There are no easy wins in this league and the game against the Islanders is proof that if you aren’t busting your butt every shift that any team can be beat. In some ways it may have been a good thing to lose that game to keep the boys from reading their own press clippings. Some useful material for MT to keep the team hungry.

11. Red says:

Just want to say the diving calls against Montreal are getting to be a bit much. They have 5 of the 22 called this year…

12. habsfan0 says:

Has Dr. Mark Recchi weighed in as yet with his diagnosis as to the extent of Prust’s injury?

• Mattyleg says:

He says there’s nothing wrong with him because he heard a rumour that Prust was talking on his cellphone after the game, and, you know, if your shoulder is hurt, you can’t really talk on your cellphone.

So he figures Prust is just taking time off to be with his wife.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. Gormdog says:

Interesting how Calder hopeful Conacher didnt even play 10 minutes last night, while our boy Gallagher played 16+ minutes of hair on fire hockey and a GWG.

Excluding my concerns about his longevity due to his playing style, I would 100% put his name on the back of a jersey.

(that being said, my lockout protest was to spend no money directly related to the Habs for one season (playoff tickets excluded), so no tickets, merch, molson products… But I want a Gallagher Jersey so damn badly!)

Dumont looked like a big upgrade on anyone who has graced our 4th line excluding a few strong games from Ryan White… I think his performance in the faceoff circle was the best thing Dumont could do, from a MT “sticking with the team” perspective. A 4th line is the last line you want chasing the puck because MT’s system of intercept and counterattack doesn’t really work with low skilled wingers… More than one time last night Dumont got himself into good real estate spots where a more offensively aware winger could have put it on his tape in the slot… Give the kid another game!

Pateryn looked ok, didn’t wow me (his jittery missed first pass back to Bouillon was pretty funny despite causing no problems), but his size looked nice back there and I would only classify him as “slightly slow” which is fine for his size and expectations. Is it bad that, since he was the piece that ame back in the Grabs deal, I REALLY want Pateryn to become an NHL regular and hopefully mess a few Buds up along the way? Moreso than most of our prospects?

And regarding the diving… Geez… Julien must be smiling… It just goes to show how easily the refs are influenced by rants, and the anti Canadiens bias throughout the NHL… I mean… Come on… That dive on DD was a ridiculous call… Anyone who has skated hard knows that if your hips suddenly get turned by more than 90 degrees, you’re likely ending upon all fours.

• HabFab says:

The main piece of the Grabs deal was their 2nd rounder which we turned over to Chicago for Lang. Only to have him get his Achilles heel severed while leading the team in scoring. Story goes that Timmins (new to the Habs) had his eye on Pateryn to draft but Toronto beat him to the punch. So Trevor talked Gainey into having Toronto throw him in to finalize the deal.
      “In Timmins we trust”

14. frontenac1 says:

Hola! I liked what I saw from Dumont last night.Pateryn looked a little nervous but it was his first NHL game,no real mistakes.Ryder is finally starting to get Mojo.Prust can use a week off. He is MVP for sure.

So a pretty good friend of mine told me quite a story yesterday. He got to know John Ferguson quite well over the last few years of Fergie’s life (went on golf trips with him, and whenever Fergie was in town would stay at my buddies place).

He was telling a story of a game against Chicago (in Chicago) when Ferguson got into a fight with Bobby Hull and absolutely kicked the crap out of Bobby. Fergie was in the airport waiting to check his luggage and a lady walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. She very politely but sternly told him, “Thank-you very much for beating the living S%&T out of my husband tonight”

She turned and walked away.

• HabFab says:

She probably meant it. Hull went thru a very messy divorce with Bretts mother. In fact Brett did not have much contact with his father growing up.

Oh I know for a fact she meant it. Growing up in Winnipeg, the stories of Bobby and how he treated his wife were well known.

• The Cat says:

Politely and sternly leaves room for interpretation. I thought it had a reprimand tone at first.

Yah sorry, poorly worded on my part. My point was she was being sincere to Fergie.

Back in the 70’s in Wpg. my sister and brother-in-law were driving on a Saturday morning and noticed a garage sale sign on the front yard of Bobby Hull’s house. (We all knew where the Golden Jet lived) They stopped in to look, just after they had arrived a limousine pulled up with Bobby and his lawyers in tow, he was screaming much vulgarity at his soon to be ex wife as she had just sold off most of his memorabilia in a garage sale.

• habsfan0 says:

The rumours were that was exactly what the Golden Jet was doing to his wife at the time. Maybe her thanks were sincere.

16. Gazza Strip says:

Great comeback last night. Don’t want to jinx things but our next six games look very winnable. Really looking forward to the last week of March when we meet the Penguins and Bruins again. Enjoy the good times amigos, the Habs are back!

• Danno says:

I wouldn’t count our chickens before they’ve hatched. Even the bottom-dwellers find a way to give us a tough time. We’re number one now and they all view us now as a measuring-stick game, instead of an easy two points like last season.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Gazza Strip says:

17. Gally27 says:

Awesome Kings retro jerseys!

Voynov is a stud!!

Love the Cartman “Go Kings Go” chant

18. D Man says:

I know it’s been talked about before but how about 3 pts for a regulation time win, 2 for an overtime win and 1 for an overtime loss. This would put pressure on teams to always play for the win.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

Your signature is a valid one, last night I met a fellow who happens to be a Leaf fan and Bruins fan. It is a friend of mines son, we were having a chat over a beer, as soon as he said that I got up and walked away from table. My buddy (the father) comes up to me asks what his kid did to piss me off (I did it jokingly) so I told him. He laughed his ass off went up to his kid (23 yrs old) and gave him a light cuff in the head and said, Gerry is right you can’t do that.

Edit: I realize my story does not involve Habs, but don’t understand how a person can be a fan of two original 6 teams equally.

• Danno says:

I like two points for a win and one point for a tie. Keep the 4 on 4 OT for five minutes but eliminate the shootout. If after five minutes no team wins in OT then they each get one point each. No loser point for losing team in OT.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Welks says:

I would rather see 2 pts if you win a game OT or Reg. 1 Pt if you win a shootout. No points for losing. If you cannot win the actual game you should not be rewarded the same as if you did. Get rid of the loser point.

• JK says:

Why not keep it simple like all other major sports (baseball, football, basketball)? Just a win or a loss, period. There are no ties in hockey anymore. We don’t need “real” losses, “sort of” losses (OT) and “kind of” losses (SOL). Consolation points for any kind of loss
      is stupid. All it does is encourages teams to play defensively when the score is tied late in the 3rd period.

• Danno says:

I’d be okay if they got rid of OT and the shootout and went back to two points for a win and one point for a tie. I have no problem with tie games. Some nights both teams actually did play equally well (or badly). Deciding a winner via the shootout is a crappy way to decide the game in my opinion. I know it’s very popular but it’s no longer a hockey game at that point.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

19. t1tan5 says:

I really don’t see MB trading many draft picks to ‘buy’ at this year’s deadline. I feel that he’s a man with a clear long-term plan. Four picks in the top 60 in a very deep draft year factors greatly in this plan. He’s building the team like the Blackhawks did: through the draft. Would he be willing to part with a 3rd rounder for depth on D? Sure. But a blockbuster involving current or future prospects is highly unlikely in my opinion.

20. angelomosh says:

Any update on Prust ??

21. HAB - Have A Beer says:

Bring in the good young players. We have good rebuilding here. A good mixture right now. Don’t ruin it by bringing in has-beens.

22. monmick says:

Apparently, Brandon Dubinsky is available. Anyone think he would be a good acquisition? I wonder what Prust would think…

So got to watch 1st and 2nd period then had to head out to a bday bash at the local legion here. Missed what was obviously a great comeback, special thanks to my friend in the 10912 zip code for all the updates during the third.

I would expect we see Whitey back, perhaps Moen onto the third line, or do they move Army up? I hope they give Pateryn another game, rather than Mr. Shortstick.

Good come back boys!

24. HabFab says:

JT talks about the dangers of icing and the need for rule changes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for sharing this. That’s where my mind wandered to right after Prust went off.
      BTW- I see you’re doing that fancy smancy thingy with the links. Someone posted instructions yesterday on how to do that. Over this old farts head.

• The Cat says:

You all like to bash him but give Don Cherry credit for this. he was the first guy to speak out about it.

25. Habfan17 says:

I thought both Pateryn and Dumont did well. Pateryn did not domiabte, but he was on the 3rd pairimg and it was his first game. He did not get badly beaten and made a few nice defensive plays. His passes were accurate. With a few more games to get comfortable, I would think we would see him being more physical.

Dumont did well on faceoffs and was aggressive. I would leave him at centre and put White at right wing.

Habfan17

26. commandant says:

Russ argues the Canucks should trade Schneider, and gives East teams looking for a goalie.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

27. Mr_MacDougall says:

Jeez, I am all for a slow steady rise in talent, a patient methodical rebuild, but with the way the team has performed, all the upcoming 2nd rounders, let’s go shopping! ;)

Moen has been good at jumping up lines to fill in for injured players before, hope he’s up for the challenge tonight.

28. nychabsfan says:

How much longer are Bourque and Diaz expected to be out for ?
    nychabshan

29. Mondou6 says:

Somehow the NFL manages to be the most popular, hard hitting, and profitable sport in spite of there never being fist fights in games. Why? Because of the rules.

The NHL should mandate cage helmets, and suspensions for fighting, dropping gloves, or removing your helmet. Same as the NFL. The notion that hockey would somehow devolve into even dirtier play is laughable. Football is cleaner than hockey as it is.

If the NHL showcased skill and speed instead of thuggish goonery, it would increase its popularity. But instead, we’re treated to watching glorified bouncers on skates, clutching each other’s jersey, ducking their heads, spinning in a circle, and blindly flailing their fists. Then when they get tired or bored, they stop, skate to the box, and the crowd claps. That’s called “the players policing themselves”. And people wonder why hockey is always the fringe sport.

People look back fondly on the Habs teams of the 70s, or the Oilers of the 80s. That was exciting hockey. The lunatic fringe who get off on bareknuckle fighting is dragging the sport down. Every time I see it, I feel embarrassed for the sport.

• Habfan10912 says:

At the risk of being called a shrinking violet, I agree with this post.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I know what you’re looking for, it’s called womens hockey.

Fighing is AGAINST the rules. It is a MAJOR penalty. The only difference is that fighing majors do noit result in suspensions for repeat offenders. Perhaps a change in that direction is needed. The rules are there, just not enforced.

Based on market share in their “home country” hockey in Canada is FAR more popular than NFL in USA. That analogy of NFL not having fighing doesn’t apply. NHL in Canada sets the example for pro sport success.

• punkster says:

Two things…first, I suppose you think it’s cute to throw women’s hockey in as an argument or insult. It’s not…it’s childish.

Second, let’s compare apples to apples. It’s unfair to compare “hockey” in Canada to “NFL” in the US. Based on market share is hockey more popular here than football in the US? Is NHL more popular here than NFL in the US?

Prove it.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

TSN actually gets some of its best ratings of the year showing Curling also…. But those rocks do hit each other very hard, so once again it is the violence selling the game. :)

• habs-fan-84 says:

“Football is cleaner than hockey as it is.”

There is a lot more “down” time. Not even comparable.
      Also, in case you haven’t noticed fights get people excited, the US fans love it, as do most Canadians. The people who do not like fighting are actually in the minority.

The NHL does not have to turn into a nanny run state. The players are grown men. If they choose not to wear a visor or a cage, it’s their career and their life and thus should be their decision.

Hockey is not a fringe sport because of fighting. That’s a ridiculous statement.

Lastly, hockey has ALWAYS been violent, even more so in the past. Don’t like it? Watch curling.

Disclaimer: I don’t like “goon” hockey and I find “staged fights” lame.

edit: I like good clean hard hitting hockey which can on occasion result in two willing opponents ready to settle their dispute in the most primordial of ways – nothing wrong with that imo

• punkster says:

Ah, the “if you don’t like it watch (fill in non contact sport name here)” argument.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• habs-fan-84 says:

and…?

• punkster says:

From the same Star/Angus Reid poll that concluded that hockey fans in Canada who do not like fighting are in the minority goes on to say “61 per cent of all Canadians (hockey fans or not) want fisticuffs out of the game.”

The game’s future is likely to be found somewhere between today’s NHL of loose equipment rules, poor officiating and crap enforcement of existing rules on one hand, and a safer, faster, more exciting game on the other.

I’m sure the league would prefer that those potential paying fans who may be driven away by the violence be enticed to come back.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• t1tan5 says:

Football? Clean? Headshots are a HUGE issue in player safety in the NFL. Only recently did they introduce the 15-yard penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver. I would agree, however, that most of these hits come in the normal flow of play. There is no goonery to speak of in the NFL – at least publicly.

• adamkennelly says:

NFL is the most popular, profitable sport because of the GAMBLING…period. Because of the rules???? Get a clue buddy.

• New says:

If anyone wanted to end “staged” fights it could be done overnight. You see they give the wrong guys a penalty. The coaches put the guys out there, give the fighter 5 and kick the coaches out plus suspend them a game, 5 for a second offence, and a season for a third.

But normal fights? Leave that alone. A normal fight is not one where a player tries to deliver a killing blow to the base of the skull (like McLaren the other night) those are banned in boxing, MMA, and other fighting sports. But where two guys are sick of each other’s faces, what is the harm?

30. deuce6 says:

I laugh at the people that want to sit Dumont..The kid played a great game last night..He played the 4th line center role to a tee..He won face offs, finished his checks, and won 2 VERY important draws in our own zone late in the game…The kid is a gamer..He stays..

He also brings a little offensive boost to that anemic 4th line offense..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed. I try to watch as closely as I can on most nights to see who’s playing well and who’s not. I know a lot of people aren’t happy with Armstrong but at a quick glance he appears to be playing a solid positional game. So I’m not sure who should sit between White and Armstrong but I like Dumont in the middle as well.

With the injuries to Prust and Bourque there’s room for all three at the moment.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agreed Hobie, I don’t understand the negativity that people have toward Armstrong.

With Toronto paying 50% of his salary he honestly is doing what he was brought here to do. He’s not a defensive liability out there (on the contrary) and he adds some sandpaper to the bottom of the lineup. It should be pointed out he was not brought here to score goals.

Watching 24CH you can tell he’s well liked by his team mates and is an important part of the chemistry of this team. He brings veteran leadership and is an ally to MT.

Lastly, he was a habs fan growing up and has a lot of pride wearing that jersey. I like Armstrong.

• habstrinifan says:

I am just doing a little numbers juggling and looking for some more ‘experienced’ offense. Nothing against Dumont. White should ‘definitely’ play to ‘replace’ Prust. Question is what would be better option without Prust then… A Dumont/Pateyrn combo or a Dumont/Kaberle combo/ or a Pateyrn/Kaberle combo.

Edit: White has also become a ‘faceoff’ type guy.

31. remi_10069 says:

hopefully getting nailed woke Ryder up. He seemed to play with a little more heart. He’s getting the points (as he always has) but plays soft.

Gallagher is a stud no question. Serious skills, ultra hard nosed. Like Gionta (in his prime) and St Louis. Going to be a great player for a long time…would be even better with a serious nuke riding shotgun.

pipes

32. Hobie Hansen says:

So a few weeks ago Ginota was slow, old and people thought he was a big waste of money. Now he’s got 8 goals and looking great.

33. Mavid says:

no word on Prust?

34. Danno says:

It looks like Prust will be out for one week:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. LTHF says:

Where was White last night? was he a healthy scratch?

36. habstrinifan says:

Were you nervous before last night’s game that it was gonna be a loss and derail us.
    Me…YES. And the score most of the game didnt help at all. I thought we had trouble generating clean scoring chances.

Are you nervous about today’s gaem despite? Me… NO. Despite loss(?) of Prust I feel confident. But even as I type this I fear ‘overconfidence’.

Anyone want to give their personal assessment on Dumont/Pateryn play. I know what MT said but.. I would give Pateryn another game but (if wasnt for loss of Prust) I would replace Dumont with White. But they both may play now. Interesting question though.. if Prust out for this game do you insert White or play a 7th D(offensive) Kaberle.

Last question(unrelated). LPGA wants a tournament at Augusta (Ladies Masters). What do you think? Would probably be de facto richest, most watched, most anticipated LPGA tournament immediately. Would you vote YES for it?

It’s eleven o’clock… do you know where your HABS are?

37. Cal says:

It’s a shortened Sunday after a tremendous comeback.
    Must be time for a song

38. JF says:

What is it about second periods the last couple of games? In both games we came out with guns blazing in the first and played a heroic third, but where were we in the second? Although last night was a question of lost faceoffs, missed assignments, and a broken stick rather than of the team being on their heels the entire twenty minutes as was the case in Carolina. But the coaching staff needs to figure out why the second period is such a problem.

Nevertheless, I’m seriously impressed. Our first 2-goal comeback since I can’t remember when, grit, determination, drive, a never-say-die attitude, and confidence. Last year’s team would have known going into the third period that the game was effectively over; this year’s Habs knew they could win.

I love how we’re scoring so many goals by driving to the net. “Net presence” was something recent editions of the Habs never had enough of; this season there always sees to be at least one, and usually more than one Hab in the goaltender’s face for much of the game – Gionta, Desharnais, Gallagher, Prust, Eller, Galchenyuk, Bourque before he was injured. It’s how games are won.

Despite some cafouillage (and some of it was the forwards) that led to the Lightning goals, I thought the defence was not bad. Pateryn looked good and made no glaring errors. Subban, although less spectacular than last year, is far more effective, and Alexei Emelin is quietly gaining poise defensively as well as becoming an offensive threat.

I liked what I saw from Dumont. Won some key faceoffs, played with an edge, and looks like he’ll be another who’ll drive to the net.

Michael Ryder had his best game as a Hab. He seems to be adjusting to the tempo and intensity of the game, and I expect him to start scoring soon. Meanwhile, he’s putting up points. Who will be HIO’s and the Antichambre’s next whipping boy?

• Curtis O Habs says:

I`m guessing the second period woes are from good adjustments the opposing team makes in the first intermission. Next whipping boy; Gionta.

39. commandant says:

Is there any update on Prust?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

40. saskhabfan says:

You know what i miss? When “man-a-part” used to post here and tell us all guy boucher was a top 3 coach and steve yzerman was a top 5 g.m. in the league. Ah,good times.

• K-hab25 says:

Shhh!! He might here you and come back. Good riddance, to bad rubbish!!

• habstrinifan says:

To be fair he wasn’t a ‘man-a-part’ in his belief in the promise of Guy Boucher and Steve Yzerman. I count my self as among those who saw promise in Guy. Although the 7 game semi-final playoff-run by the Bulldogs( the year we beat Pitts and WSH and returned Subban/White) opened my eyes somewhat and I posted my doubts then. Yzerman… I still think he has earned his stripes and will grow.

Florida’s injury list: Bergenheim, Jovanovski, Thoedore, Upshall, Kulikov, Weiss and Weaver.

Panthers: 3-5-3 in their last 10, 4-5-5 at home.

The mood in Florida.

42. JohnBellyful says:

Do I feel stupid — and tired. I shoulda set my clock ahead an hour WHEN I went to bed, instead of setting the alarm for 2 a.m,.

43. Max says:

We’re all anxiously awaiting Dr.Recchi’s expert diagnosis on the Prust injury.

44. JohnBellyful says:

With all the attention being paid to embellishment this week, what would happen in this scenario: Player on a breakaway clearly gets tripped from behind but exaggerates his fall to ensure penalty shot is called? (And if it should happen with five seconds left in OT?)

• Habfan10912 says:

You’ve got me turned around on this one JB. It almost appears as this is a serious question but I’m thinking I missed something here. I’ll bite and put my striped sweater on. The embellishment gets a 2 minute minor (or in your example 5 seconds) and a penalty shot is still given.
      Any refs out there?

• JohnBellyful says:

I imagine you’re right.
        It also brings up another issue I’ve always had with penalties in OT with less than a minute to go, when, for example, a player is pulled down or his stick is grabbed as he’s about to put the puck into the open net. The team that committed the foul doesn’t have to serve full punishment. Perhaps the consequence should be it forfeit a shot in the shootout.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Can the penalized player still take the penalty shot?

• Lafleurguy says:

The most ridiculous proper application of a penalty was Chris Phillips of Ottawa getting an extra two minutes for instigating a fight while wearing a visor two nights ago! The other guy (Tampa I think) had his gloves off first. Couple (of) nights before, Mark Stahl got beaned in the eye (by a puck, not a baseball).

“May you live in interesting times.”

45. Habfan10912 says:

As dumb as “staged” fights in hockey are, baseball brawls are just as dumb. In case you missed it here is the Canada vs Mexico dance from yesterdays WBC.

46. montrealtilldeath says:

Dumont is the sleeper. Won 8 out of 12 face offs and finishes his checks hard. Won 2 critical face offs last night. Really like his intensity. Hard nose to the puck. Watch this player.

47. Habfan10912 says:

An hour and a half late and hit to the head. My opinion, this was nothing more then an intent to injure.

• Lafleurguy says:

Somewhat similar to Matt Cooke/ Raffi Torres/Scott Stevens. Stevens effectively ended Lindros career, but it wasn’t in vogue in those days to criticize that type of hockey violence.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• BJ says:

Morning 109. I looked at that video link. You don’t want to see these types of hits, having said that, how much time does the player doing the hitting have to abort? Its a real tough call on this one. The one that should have been accountable was Colton Orr’s decapitation attempt on Plekanec during the 6-0 loss. To me that was more obvious an intent to injure (the same play Bourque probably picked up is concussion on).

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I am no dr recchi but if max out got three games for letang that should draw something

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

48. Danno says:

Not a bad roadtrip after all. A success with six out of eight points so far and a possibility of getting eight out of ten today, which would be super.

The great thing about this team is you can never count them out.

Hope Prust is back soon.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

49. Lafleurguy says:

“Wake up my sleepies, we Hobbits have to write more posts than the Trolls.” I know, I know, the time change thing…..Terrible turn of events regarding our halfway MVP…..he’s got to get counsel from Max…..Shouldn’t Steven/Vincent/Martin have gotten 2 shots EACH in the third……Final movie reference, “Apocalypse Not Now,” “I love the smell of comeback victory in the morning.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

50. twilighthours says:

If we’re going to throw blame around on goals: yes, Ryder took a suicide pass and it probably could have been a penalty. But how about that backcheck by Gionta? Everyone in the rink knew it was going back to Stamkos. While Stamkos is taking strides, Gionta is gliding. Brutal backcheck.

• Habfan10912 says:

Very true Twi. I tend to lay blame after every goal (guilty as charged) but in reality hockey is a game of mistakes, eh? Nearly every goal is caused by some sort of a missed assignment or breakdown. I have to keep reminding myself of that and like the players, just move on. It is curious to see these awful 2nd period the team suffers through. What in the world is it?

• rjcp says:

So true, must have mentioned that twice to my daughter who was watching the game with me. That type of play should not be coming from your captain, lazy and unfocused, not a good example. But a nice comeback always erases the details, so all’s well in the humble T.O abode here, and coffee’s on!!

51. Biggest_Greek_HABSfun says:

Always good to see a come back ,especially from a team which last season disapointed all of us ! Also good to see MRyder getting a couple of A.this guy is smart and taking it very seriously ! I think the habs on this trade ! Fingers crossed for Prusty ! Go Habs Go !

Et le buuuuuuuuuut

52. Adam says:

Two things:
    1) Amazed to take a look at the stats and see Pleks has only 5 assists. Even more amazed to see he has 11 goals. So adaptable, it’s amazing. If he needs to be the playmaker on his line, like in years past, he can do it. In a year like this, when he’s called on to be the finisher, he does it. Such a great, all around player. Before the season, some people here cast doubt: I think he’s answered it. Versatile, tenacious, and a team player. In short, Pleks is a guy this team needs in years to come.

B) I know Timo has a hard time feeling bad for any athlete, but I feel bad for Bourque and Diaz (or any athlete with a concussion). Without the sugar-coating, that is permanent brain damage on some level. I am not what you would call “financially stable,” but you could not pay me enough to go through the dizzyness, memory loss, aversion to light et al that constitutes concussion symptoms. I’d rather grind out 10 years of work with my full mental capabilities than suffer through that for one year, while earning 10 years worth of salary. Money can never be enough to compensate you for full use of your brain, especially when simple sensory stiumuli cause you pain.

People might love fighting, but it needs to be banned, same as hits to the head. Anything that can cause that kind of trauma to the brain, you need to reduce potential causes. Nothing is off the table – futzing with equipment, rule changes, whatever. Concussions need to be drastically reduced in hockey (and I won’t even mention football, which is potentially even worse).

• JF says:

Excellent post.

• Habfan10912 says:

Adam, I could not agree with you more. I’m willing to start with banning the “staged” fights first. Those are just ridiculous, add nothing to the game, and in my opinion make the game look like a WWE type event.

• danp says:

Yes, very well said.

Dan

• rhino514 says:

Pleks is taking matters into his own hands. He´s been out a left winger for a while, so doesn´t have guys to pass to alot of the time.
      Yes, they have to keep tweeking regarding anything that can easily prevent concussions. I believe there are things that can be done without taking away physicality from the game.
      Harsher and harsher suspensions for reckless plays are a step in the right direction. Visors should and will be mandatory at some point.
      Funny about Price. A couple of weeks ago this place was full of posts saying he is our most valuable player. Then some guys start to post how we will never win with him.
      He is what he is; a good goalie. Not great. Good. I do worry that he spends alot of time mopping the ice; elite goalies don´t tend to do that. But he IS capable of stealing games. The game against Carolina was a prime example.
      Do you guys remember Price in the seven game overtime series against Boston? That, to me was when he turned the corner, and became someone I´m not scared to have around come playoff time. Among Canadian goalies (granted the field is weak) you could argue only Luongo is better.

53. Marc10 says:

I know we need a Clowe or a Malone, but we most certainly don’t need another Moen sitting on his contract. The difference between Super Travis in his contract year and the Shell of Big Trav wearing his number this year is fair warning.

Just because they’re mean and tough doesn’t make them Brandon Prust…

• jols101 says:

Moen was always one of my favorites. I don’t think he is playing soft cause he signed a new contract, I think it is because he is one concussion away from having to retire. Unfortunately, he is damaged goods but in fairness to him, Hab management knew that before they signed him to a 4 year contract.

• Habfan10912 says:

Interesting Jols. I thought Moen’s injury last season was his shoulder and I don’t recall a concussion but I very well could be wrong. I do think he;s been a bit better the last two games but I agree, he’s not the same physical player we’ve seen in the past.

54. Trisomy 21 says:

So who remembers the rumour of the trade that sent Vincent Lecavalier to MTL in return for Pleks, Price, and a prospect (who at the time was very likely to be Subban) which was not accepted by the league?

Scotty Gomez with another goal tonight.

56. The Dude says:

So with our MVB BEST PLAYER Prust “according to the poll on the upper right hand window :arrow: ” Good time to grab someone like Clowe.

57. FormalWare says:

This is Such a different team from last year’s edition. Did anyone else smell the blood in the water just before Emelin tied it? I screamed at the TV: “Yes! Take advantage of their panic!”

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

58. kmachabs27 says:

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

59. Bill says:

“Tampa Bay centre Vincent Lecavalier had no shots in just under 19 minutes of playing time, and hasn’t scored a goal in 10 games.” TSN.

No more rumours please.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I hope as hell that Habs have no interest in Iginla. The dude is done. This is the first Flames game I watch in a long time but if Iginla plays the way he does in this game – he should retire.

Good to see Michael Cammalleri’s great contribution to the winning culture.

• ffenliv says:

I wouldn’t say he’s ‘done’. I think he still offers some goal-scoring, and some size. He just can’t keep up any sort of goal/point pace like he used to.

I think he’ll make some team reasonably happy as a rental. I don’t know his contract details, though. Is he signed after this year?

The above post should not be construed as an argument to acquire Iginla. I don’t want him at all.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

No Iginla . No Lecavalier. No washed up overpriced has beens. We don’t need them because we actually have a good team.

Man, Flames are bad. 6-2 LA.

… and Kipper’s night is done.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Good for the Habs who hold their 2nd round pick. It might even end up being the equivalent of a low 1st round pick.

If Nashville ends up crashing due to their lack of offense, the Habs could have 3 picks in the top 40.

62. Sportfan says:

It would be really cool if Emelin became like a Markov and every year he got better and got more points haha you never know! I might be dreaming but wtv its fun to dream

63. Stevie.Ray says:

On CBC they said that 57% of games that go to OT, end in a shoot out. The NHL is thinking about making teams switch ends for OT to try and increase OT scoring.

Personally, I hate shootouts, but I have said from day 1 that I could live with them if the increase OT to 10 minutes. Why?

– 5 more minutes to score
    – Less chance teams will stall until they can get to the shootout
    – Forced to either play tired first line more, or 4th line more.

I don’t know why this isn’t even being considered. It’s only 5 more minutes, and could make games much more exciting.

Kipper just let in a bad one – ouff!

65. Sportfan says:

Glad the Habs won its been a fun season so far to watch hope we can steal 1 or two ;points tomorrow! Hopefully Prust plays tomorrow or Wednesday and that his injury isn’t as bad as it seems.

Kings and these god awful uniforms again.

Richards got a taste of his own medicine tonight.

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Northeast division has 4 teams with 30 points. The rest of the league…only 3…ridiculous.

laffs with a 3 point game. I hate the freaking point in OT thing.

What’s the deal with Prust injury? Any details?

Overall, a good comeback but come on man, can they played well in the second period for once? How many games has it been now that they blew it in the second?

Anyway, hopefully Prust injury isn’t serious.

Gallagher is playing great and just gets his nose dirty.

Haven’t seen much of Patteryn in the 3rd… did he play or did Therrien go with 5 D?

70. Habs_Fan_In_San_Diego says:

Awesome win… these guys just don’t give up anymore. Last year, they would’ve just rolled over in the 3rd period down by 2 goals. What an amazing turn-around this season.

71. Chrisadiens says:

Erik Cole 1 goal with Dallas

Michael Ryder 4 assists with Montreal

Edit: Ryder has 6 assists with Montreal.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

72. jedimyrmidon says:

Gonna be a lot easier for Vancouver to trade Luongo than Tampa trading Lecavalier.

73. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You could tell that there is a lot of pressure on Vinny. He knows everybody in TB wants to get rid of his contract.

74. SnowManHabs85 says:

What if Tampa trade Lecavalier to Vancouver for Luongo?

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

I am too tired now, but as of tomorrow morning I will start feeling bad for Vinny.

76. Trisomy 21 says:

I can’t believe how much trash talking Edmonton fans still give the Flames fans after every draft.

77. Mike Boone says:

And the Canadiens have Calgary’s second-round pick.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

78. LesFleurs says:

Vancouver is screwed come the end of this season. They have 11 to sign, and 4 million in cap space. They need to dump at least two mid to high salaries. Source: CapGeek

79. VancouverHab says:

HaHaHa!!

+1000

80. danp says:

Second round is nice but look what we got in the 5th!

Dan

81. scavanau says:

Marchand was hurt and didn’t play during the first matchup

82. New says:

The Canadiens embellish.

Bob Cole needs to retire. He’s still calling plays from the previous period.

84. Bun E. Laroque says:

HARD! HARD!

85. habstrinifan says:

Cuse me for a moment while I go to my room..

86. Bun E. Laroque says:

Another good one.

87. Sportfan says:

if any info on him add some Diaz and Bourque info!

88. Danno says:

Off for a week

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs