About last night …

BishopPost

The Canadiens were checkmated by a Bishop.
The Ottawa goaltender used his 6′-7″ frame to block most of the net on the 45 shots he faced. And Ben Bishop got some help from his goalposts.
The Canadiens played well enough to win and were stymied by a hot goalie.
End of story.

But of course it won’t be.

Carey Price’s critics – confined, for most of the season to date, to the dark, damp, sewer-like sections of the Comments section – will be in full voice blasting the Canadiens’ goaltender for his week glove side on Dave Dziurzynski’s goal and Price’s ineptitude in allowing two Senators to beat him in the Shootout.

The phenomenon had Patrick Roy chuckling during L’Antichambre.

“I can’t believe the negativity,” St. Patrick said, marvelling that media members were asking Michel Therrien about Price’s performance after the Canadiens had dominated Ottawa in its own building for 65 minutes.

So none of that negativity here, except to acknowledge out that Price was not the better goaltender at Scotiabank Place Monday night … although he did make 23 saves and lowered his GAA to 1.90.

I should also mention that P.K. Subban was not the Canadiens’ best defenceman in Ottawa and had less even-strength ice time than any of his five confreres. He also took a late-game penalty, on a Canadiens’ power play, that carried over into Overtime, giving Ottawa a dangerous 4-on-3 power play.

In an unusually cerebral edition of L’Antichambre – Roy elevates the tone almost as much as P.J. Stock diminishes it – the goaltending immortal and his fellow panelists – Carbo, Vincent Damphousse and Gaston Therrien – suggested P.K.’s difficult evening was evidence of the trouble he’s had adjusting to a system that works.

Controlling gaps at their blueline, hunting in packs in their  zone with forwards tracking back tirelessly (in contrast, Patrick Roy said, to what we saw from Scott Gomez last season), the Canadiens have worked hard on back pressure and virtually eliminated odd-man rushes. Swarming the puck along the boards, with another forward monitoring the slot for late-coming attackers, also has reduced those wide-open looks that blueline blasters have enjoyed against Price in recent seasons.

The Canadiens have bought into the way Michel Therrien wants them to play … especially in the first period. They began the game by outshooting the home team 12-5 – the eighth consecutive game in which the Canadiens have held an opponent under 10 shots in the opening period. This suggests a high degree of preparedness and a commitment to the game plan – both of which are a tribute to Therrien and his staff.

For the first time in many seasons, the Canadiens have three lines who can score. This is particularly valuable on the road – where the Canadiens play six of their next seven games – because the home team coach, with last change, can’t focus on shutting down one scoring line, as was the case matching defensive forwards against David Desharnais, Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty last season.

DD went 11-5 on faceoffs against Ottawa. After 21 shots on goal in his first 18 games, DD had five against Ottawa. His new winger, Brendan Gallagher, was in Bishop’s face all night …. or at least looking up at the Ottawa goaltender. Gallagher and Pacioretty each had four SoG.

Brandon Prust, with four hits and another Energizer Bunny game, has ably filled in for Rene Bourque on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta.

Lars Eller, Erik Cole and Alex Galchenyuk were on for the Ottawa goal. But Eller was a red-hot 12-5 on draws, Cole had four SoG and Galchenyuk worked his way into a couple promising positions, only to be foiled by Bishop.

Chris Neil had EIGHT hits but was in the penalty box when Andrei Markov scored. The Neil line was the only one to trouble the Canadiens unduly.

Your heroes had their highest shot total of the season. The Canadiens deserved to win in Ottawa, but Bishop was otherworldly and got help from the ironwork.

It’s on to Toronto. If the Canadiens get another 45 shots Wednesday and Price is on his game, the boys may finally get their first win on Ontario ice this season.

1. awesomerino says:

I usually watch games on Gamecenter, so I haven’t seen L’Antichambre all season. Saw Roy on it for the first time last night, and I must say, he was excellent.

2. SteverenO says:

Seems to me that there were two Canadiens that were “off” their game last night.

Subban looked like his legs were made of rubber, he didnt have his usual speed and acceleration. He also had an unusually high degree of difficulty in handling the puck. What impressed me most about Subban when he came up to the NHL the first time, in the playoffs no less, was that he never turned over or gave away the puck. No giveaways , no blind passes, etc. Yesterday it looked like he was playing with a ringuette stick (no blade).

The other Canadien who was fighting the puck last night was our goalie. Price had an off game, plain and simple. The fact that the Sens only scored once was both a testamnet to good defence minimizing scoring chances and the Sens, like the Habs, missing the target when they had the rare scoring opportunity.

What’s funny here is the double standard.

A few weeks ago Ryan White is completely responsible for a loss because he took a dumb penalty when we had a 3-0 lead in teh game.

When Price commits an error, for some reason, the loss cannot be pinned on him. can anyone imaging what the reaction would have been had Budaj been the goalie last night? Therrien would have been blamed for losing the game by going with the back up, Budaj would have been blamed for not covering the angle and letting the Sens even think they were “in” the game. It’s one thing to give uo a softie, but another to do it when the score is 0-0 and the other team is being completely dominated in there home rink.

Do I think that Prices was “totally” responsible for the loss? No, we could have , and should have, won despite Price having an off night. We had numerous opportunities to score, and even though the giant in the opposing net played a great game, we simply missed the net (rat le cible -as they say in RDS) on too many occasions.

In theory the the Canadien skater s outplayed the Ottawa Skaters. Ottawa won because their goaltender outplayed ours.

But as I said before the TEAM lost this game, not Carrey Price, just as much as the TEAM lost that other game , not Ryan White.

If, and its a large IF, this team is going to do any damage in the playoffs this year it will be as a team. Price cannot carry the team to a championship any more than Subban, or Markov, or any other individual.

(The only Habs player in recent years that has actually proven that he can single-handedly win consecutive playoff series ,unfortunately , is playing for Saint Louis now.)

regards,

Steve O.

3. mark-ID says:

Bishop played well last night…no doubt about it, but I think in a lot of ways Montreal didn’t pick their spots enough. Lots of shots either missed the net or went right into the goalies chest. I actually thought Bishops rebound control was rather poor last night. Montreal just wasn’t in the proper position to put the puck in the net.

On the other hand…..Carey’s rebound control looked pretty flawless and effortless(mind you with half the shots). At the end of the day Ottawa had the better shooters in the shootout. The actually made some fakes to freeze Carey….our guys just kept shooting fivehole.

Speaking of the shootouts…..I think it is time that Chucky tries to come up with a new move…..NHL goalies will have studied it and will now anticipate the forehand to backhand to forehand that was successful to him during training camp and to start season.

4. Phil C says:

Here’s a thought- the Habs are in first place, but what if they have been under-achieving so far? With new players, new coaches, and a new system, they *should* still be adapting to their new team, not peaking early. Other teams with new coaches (Edmonton, Calgary, Washington) are struggling. Most of the other top teams have established coaching staffs and players who are very familiar with their system (New Jersey, Boston, Chicago).

Even though they are in first place, I think they are not even close to playing their best offensive hockey, which would suggest they have some upside left this season. They have been winning because they have been playing almost perfect team defensive hockey.

The team offense has been somewhat sputtering all season (15th in GF/G). The Rangers game was a good example of a game they won, yet they couldn’t even make a pass, with numerous passes into skates, lots of icings, no flow, etc. Many of the GWGs have been the result of great individual efforts or the PP.

But last night, I thought there were signs that the offense was starting to click. There were numerous break away passes, odd man rushes, and cycles that resulted in a shot. They have only been averaging 30 shots per game but last night they had 45. If this continues, combined with their amazing defensive play, they can become serious Cup contenders, especially if all three lines start to click. Not many teams have the potential for three scoring lines and have a puck mover on three defensive pairings.

The ’93 team was really good at moving the puck and creating team offense, so I hope this team can find the same magic. If they do, hold on, it will be a fun ride!

5. Lafleurguy says:

Interesting that the Blues gave up on Ben Bishop. First they get Halak, and the year following missing the playoffs after Jaro’s 62 starts, they went out and signed the “discarded” Brian Elliot. Effectively, the Avalanche are the source of Ottawa’s goaltending tandem of Craig Anderson and Bishop.

Curtis Sanford made 80 saves in a KHL game, and too bad the Habs brass of the past chose Alex Auld over Sanford. Sanford played very well for the Bulldogs and I vaguely recall him getting a shutout for the Habs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

6. veryhabby says:

I don’t know how Gallagher is going to survive the NHL. Man yesterday they throw him around like a rag doll. It’s awesome incredible that he doesn’t back down. but in a game like yesterday, where nothing is called and you can cross check ppl off the puck and throw ppl off the puck whichever way you want…I can’t see how he survives. Can his body and style of play survive a long career?

Yes Gionta was known for going hard to the net, but this kid yesterday was just manhandled and kept going back for more, most other small guys wouldn’t they’d make adjustments. Cause as great as it is to have his spunk in there when both he and DD can’t win a puck battle behind the net or along the boards it makes it hard for them to get good scoring chances and to keep puck possession.

7. Saltwater Cowboy says:

It doesn’t matter if Price let in a stinker. It doesn’t matter if it was on a breakaway or a 3 on zero. He allowed ONE goal and he gave his team a great chance to win! The Habs could not score more than one and that was the reason they lost. I guess that Rinne is a bum for allowing 4 goals on 19 shots?

For those of you who are old enough to remember Dryden let in his fair share of softies as did so many great goaltenders.

The Price haters are unreal.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Anyone who hates on Price this season is clearly an idiot.

• The Cat says:

If PK, Gionta etc can get a little criticism, so can Price.

• Lafleurguy says:

Did you see the highlights of Luongo’s performance against the Red Wings. I agree with you except that Dryden’s rare softies were against the Soviets, both the National team, and that memorable New Year’s Eve “exhibition” game against the Soviet Central Red Army team. Come playoff time, it’s hard to recall a weak Dryden performance. Dryden’s multitalented nature unfortunately shortened his Habs career, and that includes the one season a young disgruntled Dryden played defence on a Toronto Industrial League team who will remain nameless (because I don’t know their name).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habsrule1 says:

The fact is that goal should not have went in, and if it hadn’t, the Habs win 1-0.
      That said, if he lets 1 goal in every game, even if it’s the worst goal ever, we should win.

8. Chris1138 says:

I’m going to be at the game tomorrow – please win Habs so I don’t have to deal with all the Leafs fans’ yapping!

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

Desperately need a Habs win tomorrow night. Tomorrow night I have scheduled Pitchers and Catchers from my Slo-Pitch team to report at 6:45pm at the local bar, I have all other positional players reporting at 7pm. If the Habs lose, I may lose my role of Player/Coach on the team, or in other words, I will be paying for the Tab.

Please win tomorrow Habs!!!

10. The Cat says:

I wonder if Bryan Murray will shop a goalie, the sens might have a shot at making a run, theyre incredibly stingy defensively. Or they could wake up and realize theyre hurt and playing over their heads and collapse. At any rate, Murray is fine architect.

• Habsrule1 says:

The sens are all about coaching. They have no business being where they are and had no business making the playoffs last year. Murray deserves credit. McLean deserves even more.

• Strummer says:

You would think that given the depth of their injuries that this run of good fortune will end soon. However the character of the players and the coach keep them rolling (so far).

Conversely look at the Ranger meltdown.

Interesting dilemma that Habs also faced after the 2010 season with 2 very talented goaltenders and what to do with them.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• The Cat says:

Dont the sens have 3 really good goalies? I think Anderson might be the one with the least upside. A good problem to have. Sens could be a powerhouse in the making.

• Strummer says:

You’re right about having 3 and the fact Bishop who started the season as the #3 may be supplanting Anderson for the #1 slot..

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

11. adamkennelly says:

ran into a hot goalie – period – the end. Tough to score in a S.O. against a guy who is 6’7″ and on his game..and we all know Price ain’t the best in that format…on to T.O. all I know is Center Ice better show that fakin game in HD.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

After out shooting, out playing and hitting a bunch of posts, I’m not overly concerned with last night’s loss. More times than not, Montreal wins that game.

If the Habs can avoid injury, we are deep enough to play better than 500 hockey. Nobody expected Gallagher and Galchenyuk to be making an impact at this point and they’ve basically helped add another scoring line to our team. We are three scoring lines deep when we’re clicking.

Defense is a bit thin but I think Bergevin is going to make a move, latest at the deadline for another big dman.

We’ve got a better than average team here boys and girls with great management. we’ll be just fine.

13. HAB - Have A Beer says:

They out played Ottawa all game and loss. Never mind criticizing the team. They came up against a Hot and sometimes lucky Goalie that happens no matter what the shot count was. Get over it and move on to the next one. If They play like that in Toronto. They’ll come away with 2-points and it won’t go to overtime or a shootout.

Good game Guys. No matter whats said on here.

14. Strummer says:

Anyone checked to see who’s in first place in the East?

In the words of C. Price- let’s “Chill”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

15. RetroMikey says:

It was a great game to watch, yes, the Habs deserved to win.
    Just imagine a Getzlaf or another big forward like Perry in front of the net, or even Shane O’Brien from Colorado as someone said here on this site doing some major pain in their crease…I’m hoping Bergevin sees this weakness we have and addresses this issue.
    Still long way to go to finish this 48 game season where the tempo picks up from other teams as well, but the team is playing well and I hope they keep it up on the road.
    Great effort last night! Keep playing hard boyz!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Habitforming says:

We have one that would have helped last night I’m sure…. Bourque.

• Habsrule1 says:

Don’t we have decent sized guys that can do that job? Bourque, Galchenyuk, Prust, Eller, etc….?
      Put a big body in front of the net. Of course, if he has hands too, all the better.

16. Old Bald Bird says:

While I understand the theory of four point games against our own division, I look at it differently. Just get the number of points required to get into the playoffs. If it’s 55 for example, just get 55 wherever you can. Our divisional rivals will lose against some teams that we beat. It all evens out.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve heard of injury comebacks, but this is real dedication.

Ron Jeremy, only days after aortic aneurysm surgery, is returning to work!

This is the kind of big man we need to … um… clear the crease.

18. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Yeah… I know… Bishop was pretty good last night…
    But it has been bugging me that for the past 3 or 4 games, our Habs have come out of the 1st period with the following:
    Shot Count:
    Canadiens: 150 – Other Team: 3
    Score:
    Canadiens: 0 – Other Team: 0

Not all the goalies are as good as Bishop was last night, but the shot count is almightily deceiving.

signed, yours
    Negative Nelly

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• krob1000 says:

shot count is deceiving but last night it was not….I can off the top of my head recall about a dozen glorious scoring chances and about another dozen decent scoring chances….I am not sure the Sens had 5 “scoring chances”

• Habsrule1 says:

Even the goal they scored wasn’t a scoring chance.

• Habsrule1 says:

Habs are having trouble burying their chances. No doubt about it.
      All I can say is that eventually, if they continue to dominate games, the goals will come.
      But if not, and they keep getting points like they have, I won’t complain as they try to work the whole scoring thing out.

19. jeffhabfan says:

The game was a joke. Should have won 10 -0 thats the way it should have gone. I guess bishop is a star if we play that way we will not lose many. If the SENS play like that they will not win a game the rest of the year.

20. shiram says:

PK was trying to do too much, simpler plays would have been better overall. He got burned a couple of times trying to protect the puck using his body, or just doing fancy spinning moves.
    Simple passes would have worked better.
    I’m sure Therrien will try harder to make a better person for the following game…

Other than that, it was great to see all lines having scoring chances. Prust is no Bourque but played well in his new role, better than bringing up Moen, as the Habs used to do last season.

• arcosenate says:

He’s a bit lost, he looks unsure whether he’s allowed to make a rush or not. Therrien should cut him a bit more slack, let him play his game a bit more.

• Mattyleg says:

Problem is that his game leaves gaps in the back.
        We’ve had very few odd-man rushes this year, which is great, and I wouldn’t want to see more of them.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

PK’s game is too risky, as you saw last night. I like the way he’s been adjusting to the team’s game plan. Last night, he reverted to his old ways and we saw the result. PK is getting better, but he’s not the best Dman the Habs have and the team’s record reflects that.

• Habsrule1 says:

Markov is the best d-man they have, but PK isn’t far behind. Players like him are going to make mistakes due to risks that I want him taking at the right times. I’m fine with teaching him to get better, but don’t stifle him.

• Cal says:

Sorry to disagree Habsrule, but PK does need to be stifled. His high risk game can cost wins. By teaching him to play intelligent offensively, the team will win more than it loses. Markov rarely rushes the puck, but his passes are what separates him from the rest of the Dmen.

• nuwbs says:

I don’t know what so many people see in PK but to hear people say that he’s the best dman we have blows my mind. His shots whizz by the net, his backswing is big enough to create hurricanes in signapore, he likes to just skate right into the opposing zone and dump the puck where no one can go and forecheck because they don’t have his momentum going in, he holds on to the puck too long. In general he just seems to have poor hockey sense and bad vision. You talk about good dmen and they’re guys who can create openings and bring out the best in their teammates through their vision (markov.. at least in the past, less so now).

If that’s pks game, then it definitely needs to be stifled.

• Habsrule1 says:

High risks can be taken, but at the right time. Nobody on the team has the talent that PK does to make those high risk plays.
            PK need to be taught when to take chances and when not to.
            Bobby Orr was not stifled. He was taught. There is a difference.
            As far as not seeing the potential in this kid or wondering if he’s our best defenseman or not, I really don’t know what else to say but go back ad look at last season. He had the most TOI on a bad team and did not cost us games like some seem to want us to believe.

Don’t ask me how good he is. Ask the 30 NHL GM’s.

21. arcosenate says:

That sucked pretty hard, they played so well, maybe their best game of the season. Ottawa had pretty much zero going all game long, but it had that odd feeling to it, Bishop was that good.

But his posts should have been the second star.

Hopefully they can come out like that in TO, where they really have to score first, make the Leafs do some catching up this time.

22. frontenac1 says:

Ithink Plex is leading the League in getting tossed from the faceoff circle.

• Habsrule1 says:

They gotta loosen the faceoff rules. Just drop the f’n puck!

Go Habs Go!!

Agree Front, I asked that very question a couple days ago if there was a stat for most often thrown out of the circle. I would bet he has been thrown out of the circle almost as often as you have been thrown out of the saloon amigo! :)

• Mustang says:

I have watched to try to see why the official does not drop the puck and why they throw out some players. Obviously players try to get an unfair advantage for the faceoff but most of the time the players would not be able to get any advantage if the linesman would immediately drop the puck as soon as the players are in position. I think that the hesitation by the linesmen results in many players getting thrown out.

It would be very interesting to see if certain linesmen are more guilty than others of having thrown out players from faceoffs.

• veryhabby says:

I was laughing cause one offensive faceoff they lined up with Prust to take the f/o, cause they knew the first guy in there would get waived out. sure enough, Prust got waived out and Pleks stepped in to that the f/o

It’s pretty silly!!

23. Habsrule1 says:

Habs played great.
    Price should have made that save, but if he lets in 1 goal, weak or not, we should win.
    PK makes mistakes. So do all the ther players. Why do PK’s mistakes get ALL the attention?
    I hate wondering about racism, but I do sometimes.

Go Habs Go!!

I think many of us are talking about PK having a rough game, because we almost never see it. After Markov had his glorious first 5-6 game run, we started discussing how he was struggling, I don’t think there is a huge Anti-Russian sentiment here. I can only speak for myself, but I think we have just come to expect above average performances from PK and we all have to remember he was rushed, and the team is playing a new system he is still adjusting to.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with that.
      It’s the common cry about offensive defensemen.
      We saw the same thing with Streit, Souray, even Markov a few years back.
      Fans want the D-man to score goals, take risks to do so, but not ever falter defensively. On the other side of the coin, defensive d-men are always criticized (see Gorges, Josh) for not putting points on the board.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

On this site I doubt racism is an issue…I seem to recall Price, Bourque, Pleks, White, Cole, Dd, Pacioretty, Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon, Emeilin, Kaberle, Armstrong and even a little bit of Galchenyuk and Gallagher all taking verbal beatings at various points this season….
      I think it is more a case of blamism…..and it ususally reveals itself in its worst form after a loss

• Habsrule1 says:

Point well taken. I know all Habs are subject to unfair critisism here but I can’t help but feel PK gets more than his share, but not only here.
        The kid is the best and most exiting defenseman I’ve personally ever seen in a Habs uniform….with so much still not tapped into.

• krob1000 says:

His style of play earns him both extra praise and blame…he can bring you of your seat several times a game ….but in a sport that has evloved into a battle of the least mistakes he can make you cringe at times too. The game used to not be like that…you gave up a goal no big deal but in this day of media and defensive attention to detail every goal is scrutinized by fans, teamates, coaches, analysts,etc.

• Habsrule1 says:

Agreed. I just see so much potential in PK. I’d hate to see him run out of town because he takes some risks here and there.
            He’s the most exciting payer I’ve seen in a Habs uniform.

• shiram says:

Subban made some glaring mistake trying to do too much on his own, while if he had kept things simpler he could have made the plays instead of turnovers.
      For most of this season, that was not the case he was playing well and simple, so last night stands out and we are discussing it.
      no big deal

24. hockeymaniac31 says:

2-4-2 record in their division. The habs desperatly need to win against Toronto and Boston. I could care less if they beat the pens saturday. Thats just a bonus if they can get points in that one. And is it just me or is Gionta the new Gomez? He gets bumped off the puck way to easy and doesnt do anything to help the Habs win. Release him and put the C on Gorges.

• Habsrule1 says:

Compare Gionta to Gomez? Your credibility kinda ends right there.
      No offense.

Go Habs Go!!

The boys were intimidated by the huge body in the nets last night. They were trying to pick the corners high and were catching the iron or missing the net .
    No rebounds in front that way. And when they missed the net the puck left the zone, ending the offensive play.

• J Haul says:

Great observation. Sometimes the guys over-think things and can try to be too cute. Some try too fancy a pass and some try too hard to pick the corners, when the best plan might be to just get it on net, hard and low.

A lanky goalie like Bishop is sometimes more susceptible down low. With those gangly legs the 5-hole is often a much larger, easier target (DD showed us this in the shootout… Pleks… not so much) and at the very least he’ll kick out some juicy rebounds.

Intersting situation with BIshop. I recall last year listening to the pundits speak of this incredible goalie on the Peoria Riverrats, some big lanky goalie. They spoke of the incredible depth St. Louis had with Elliot/Halak being a formidable duo with the big club. I thought forsure the Blues would trade Elliot, as I think the Blues style of play has manufactured good stats out of him, and I really think he is overrated, however, he is showing that this year.

Then the Blues trade him (Bishop), arguably best minor league goalie in the NHL/AHL system and only for a 2nd round pick. Last night we saw how good he can be, and he has done this for over a week now as he garnered the NHL’s 3rd star last week.

Yet at the start of this season, I heard many of the same pundits, (yes even you Bob McKenzie) talk about him possibly being the 3rd man on the totem pole in Ottawa behind Anderson and Lehner.

Well if I am Ottawa, I look seriously at trading Anderson after he has come back. While he is playing lights out this year and last, his career stats are just above average. This isn’t to say he isn’t an excellent goalie, but he is 31 years old and by all accounts Bishop looks ready and Lehner is very well regarded.

Of course I am only making this trade if the Senators do finally fall back in standings missing Karlsson and Spezza, but I wonder what the Senators could pry out of Toronto, Philadelphia, Edmonton or someone for Anderson this season.

P.S. My comments regarding Elliot pertain to he alone, Halak is a very good goalie and while he plays for a great system he has earned his position, Elliot I think otherwise of.

• 24 Cups says:

I wonder if Columbus might want to talk to Ottawa in terms of trading for a goalie. Bernier in LA is another possibility for the Blue Jackets. They also just drafted Oscar Dansk (6’3″) but he’s just 19.

This is where Burke made a mistake in Toronto. He never really did address the goalie situation. Selecting Carey Price just might have been the best thing Gainey ever did in Montreal.

27. thorandresson says:

Loved this line by Boone “Roy elevates the tone almost as much as P.J. Stock diminishes it”, too funny, keep it up Boone!

28. krob1000 says:

On PK….it appears many in here are confusing reining PK and having him play simpler with not allowing him to rush the puck. It is quite clear that PK has a green light to rush the puck whenever the situation suits it…meaning noone else better to advance the puck to and not stopping everyone else before he does it and he joins rushes when it suits as well. I don’t see him doing “too much” that often in that regard at even strength. However, on the pp he keeps rushing and stopping all of the forwards who are ahead of him at the blueline…and then chipping it in and the race to the puck can’t be won as he made everyone stop. At even strength I think his decision making on rushing has been very decent this year.

The issue and simple play thing the analysts are referring to is the one on one plays he is trying to make as the last guy back when he circles to shake a guy off. 9 out of 10 times he pulls it off because he protects the puck so well….but if there is another option he must make that his priority first before making that play. It is an incredible ability to use at the right times but when you are the last guy back and you can advance the puck to a safer area to a teammate or a spot where the teammate will have the advantage then why make that play? Two times last night the right play was a simple chip up the wall and he instead went with his spin move and twice lost the puck……it happens with Pk…but it is something he needs to work on and I can bet you he is well aware of it…it almost seemed after the first mistake he was bothered and aware he had messed up and it was in his head…as he fought the puck and decision making all night after.
    It was not unlike Price actually…you could tell early he was off his game…he looked shaky from the get go but the team played very well ahead of him…it is tough when things go bad early to get your mojo going and both PRice and PK started out rough and fought it all night…it happens though and any GM in the world would take those 2 on his team in a heartbeat…everyone makes mistakes…the game is fast and the other team wants to win too.

29. Kooch7800 says:

Everyone has to chill. If the habs won the shootout the tone would be completely different in here.

I thought the habs played well and Bishop unfortunately played better than everyone. For a 6 foot 7 goalie he sure is mobile. I hope he gets traded to the Western conference LOL.

If the habs play like they did last night for the rest of the season they will do just fine

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Really? It’s finally starting to warm up in Southern Ontario, and you want me to chill! I have had it with winter, I want golf, warm weather and outdoor patios and the only thing chilled will be my Beer.

Perhaps I misread your post. :)

• krob1000 says:

I owuld prefer another 2 weeks of chilly weather…enough to keep the outdoor rink going…my boy has been skating for 3 years and has about 15 total outdoor hours under his belt….the weather has been so inconsistent the last couple of years

• Kooch7800 says:

No matter how we slice it Burly, we have at least a month before we can golf if not more :(

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

30. commandant says:

Boone should have stopped after saying that the Habs got beaten by a goalie who stole the game. That really is the whole story last night.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree. The team played well. Even Ottawa knew they got outplayed.

That is hockey. It happens all the time

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• krob1000 says:

I think the net outplayed Bishop….he made a couple good saves but the metal put the pedal to les boys last night.

I like to always give the goalies the benefit of the doubt on posts hit. End of the day, the fact they missed those saves was irrelevant as they didn’t go in. Harkens me back to Roy’s rookie year and cup run, and how many posts opposition hit and Roy spoke of his two friends Ping and Pong.

• krob1000 says:

I generally do too if it is a postiioning thing (can give him the benefit on Patches as Bishop cut down the angle and held his ground forcing Patches to trya nd squeeze it in there)…on Diaz and Cole they just flat out hit post…Bishop was cleanly beat on both….damn ping and pong.

31. ed says:

there were a few rushes last night with Galcheyuk, Eller and Cole that lifted me right off my couch!!

Eller and Cole saw Galcheyuk take off, and it was like ” woo hoo!, let’s kick it into 5th gear, or he’s gonna leave us behind!!”

PK does not see himself as the best at anything. I do not know how you can read someones mind like that, you do not know him my friend..

I think PK has two choices!!
    One he can go back to being 6 years old again, and learn how to play a different game than he has played for the past 17 years.

That is, being hard on the puck, perfect passing tape to tape, being able to keep the puck in their zone, being the best at getting the puck out of our zone, carrying the puck from end to end with speed, drawing players towards him to set up a pass, having one of the best shot in the league and playing with a huge heart ect.

Or, if Therrien wants him to play a different game all together, he could put the kid on the second line at right wing in place of Cole, and he will lead the team in scoring, back checking and hits.

I saw him play a game up front once, because of injuries and sickness to three of our forwards. He owed the puck all night and scored 2goals with 2 assists.

I wonder if Therrien needs to see the tape of this game. If I remember, it was against the Kitchener Rangers when Peter DuBoer was coaching them in Kitchener.

33. Habfan17 says:

It appears that Shane O’brien has fallen out of favour in Colorado. Could he be a possible depth player to add for a playoff run?
    6’3″ 230 lbs. Career, 461 games, 85 points, plus 20, 809 pims

Habfan17

34. ed says:

Ok, I started talking about Subban this morning, so even though the Habs played an outstanding game and I think the team is playing its best hockey since the 2010 playoff run, I will make one more comment about PK.

PK sees himself as the best defenceman on the team; And as Boone pointed out just a few days ago, many hockey people also see PK as the #1 d-man on the team.

Therrien does not see Subban as the #1 d-man on the team, and neither do many of the regular posters on here, who think PK still needs a veteran to hold his hand, or think he has problems with his hockey IQ, etc.. etc..

That’s the disconnect. That’s where the core of the issue lies.

As long as Therrien is pushing all the right buttons, I couldn’t care less how Subban feels about himself and his own game.

I know how good he is. I defend him against his critics constantly.

But if this team wins a championship with Subban on the 3rd pairing, playing 17 or 18 minutes a night, that would be just fine with me.

And I hope that any player on my team would feel the same way.

• Mattyleg says:

What makes you think that PK sees himself as the best defenceman on the team?

I would be wary of imposing those kinds of perceptions on a player; someone who considers themselves the best is a flawed member of a team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Perhaps because for the past two seasons his minutes indicated he was the most valuable defenceman on the team. I mean no disrespect in saying this.

• Mattyleg says:

None taken, I just think that means the coach saw him as the best at the time.

My point being that no player should think that they are ‘the best’, as it puts the ‘team concept’ under strain.

I would hope that PK doesn’t think he’s the best.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Jackal says:

If we win a cup and PK is playing those kinds of minutes, then we must have some pretty damn good d-men on that team!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ed – I think the issue of 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing is a bit of a misnomer. Therrien is using his d-men in a very balanced way. There is no big time on ice discrepancy between the players. We aren’t like some teams where a couple of studs get 25 min/game and others get 16-17. Using all D-men more or less equally makes sense this year. it’s a luxury we can afford.

The only d-man who gets extended ice time is Markov – he is number one in time on ice (TOI), and PP TOI. He is 2nd in SH TOI. I would say his skill and intelligence warrant that, though his conditioning may not. Also recently Markov’s TOI has been getting closer to the mean.

The other 5 all get roughly the same TOI, with the exception of Bouillon who gets a minute less.

PK is getting the same TOI as Gorges, Diaz and Emelin, and getting considerably more PP TOI than those three. On Saturday Subban was the second most used d-man. Yesterday he wasn’t but he had a rough time.

There is just no way to refer to those figures as “3rd pairing”.

One couls also say that Subban is being slowly eased into the #1 spot, which is a reasonable approach.

• ed says:

I think its clear that Subban and Bouillon are the 3rd pair.

And I don’t care about that, because the Habs are playing great hockey with this formula.

• Phil C says:

You are right, but the TOI is very close. Markov, Emelin and Diaz have been getting 27 shifts a game while Subban and Bouillon are getting 23, so essentially only one extra shift per period between the top pairing and the bottom pairing. That is a pretty even distribution of ice time.

• ed says:

I saw Subban taken off for a defensive zone faceoff and I was sure he had just jumped on the ice.

I think its clear that whoever plays with Markov is on the #1 pairing.

And Gorges in the #2 pairing.

35. Mattyleg says:

How did Larry play last night?
    Armstrong?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Armstrong was his usual self. Nondescript.

Larry had a so/so game. Galchenyuk was also a bit off. It’s all relative though because we dominated from start to finish.

I find it fascinating how the three point game has impacted the hierarchy of the NHL standings. When you’re at the bottom of the NHL’s caste system, the three pointer acts as a deterrent to climbing the different rungs of the ladder. When you’re at the top of the pyramid, three point games help maintain the stratification that you have built up with an extended winning streak. With that in mind, I’ll gladly take last night’s single point. I’ll still be happy with 8 points during this two week, 8 game stretch.

NHL teams are approaching the 20 game mark but there are a few teams that may fall out of the playoff picture if they lose tonight. Buffalo and Washington sit 6 points back in the playoff hunt. They play Carolina and Tampa tonight, the two teams that they are chasing for a playoff spot. If the Sabres and Capitals lose, they will fall 8 points back. History proves that‘s almost an insurmountable deficit to make up. Washington is in the weakest division so they may still have a chance. Buffalo has no hope of winning their division (they remind me of last year’s Habs). Both these teams will feel the weight of three point games, especially during a 48 game schedule.

Columbus sits 8 points back of Dallas for the final playoff spot. Guess what? They play Dallas tonight. In this case, three pointers just might help the team land a top three pick. Kind of gives a new meaning to the number three. The good news is that the Blue Jackets will be looking at 4 of the top 33 picks in this year’s entry draft. It will seem like five once Ryan Murray returns next season. Columbus has a very young roster with plenty of good prospects in the pipeline. I’d take them over a team like Calgary any day of the week.

• ed says:

as I said yesterday, 2 or 3 years from now Columbus will be as strong as St Louis has become.

it’s simply a question of evaluating talent on draft day.

Columbus was terrible at that.

Davidson and Kekalainen are very good at it.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

I think Subban will come good. Drew Doughty – who is the same age -had a very rough year last year, until the playoffs.

However – One commentariat meme that needs addressing is that it’s insulting to Subban for the coach to make him play according to the team’s style.

Or it’s insulting to Subban for him not to be on the first wave of the powerplay. (This one isn’t even based on facts – Subban is second on the team in powerplay time on ice – well ahead of Raphael Diaz).

It’s insulting for the coach to coach a 23 year old?

38. Steeltown Hab says:

Just noticed Pleks was shorted some ice time, only 16:44 vs DD 19:31? Weird.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Ozmodiar says:

I noticed that Pleks has been a bit off his game, starting with the Carolina game (despite his goal in that one). His ice time has dropped a little each game since then as well.

Nagging injury? Eller emergence? Bourque absence?

39. Mattyleg says:

Didn’t see the game last night.
    Was out at indoor cricket, and was too wrecked to stay up for Canadiens Express.

From the highlights, it looked like we outplayed them and were unlucky with a pile of posts and a goalie on his game.

The goal on Price was weak, but he had over 20 other shots that he stopped. Is he allowed to let a bad goal in from time to time? Of course. It’s up to the team to score another goal to back him up. Just got unlucky last night.

We still look damn good.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Steeltown Hab says:

One of the habs best games this year, Bishop was a stud.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• HabFanSince72 says:

Indoor cricket sounds like fun. Didn’t know that existed in Mtl.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, it’s great.
        It’s with the Pirates of the St. Lawrence.
        We’re the only social cricket club in Quebec. We play indoor during the winter (with coaching for people who’ve never played before) and outdoor in the summer.
        Everyone is welcome to come along and check it out either indoor or at our practices at Jarry Park on Monday nights once the ground dries out a bit. Usually end of April.
        Check us out online!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Marc10 says:

Pricey was overly hard on himself. There were many opportunities to win this game by a couple of goals. Congrats to Bishop. He robbed us blind.

Nice to see our center line on song. It’s the first time in a long time the Habs can throw three lines out there with that kind of punch.

It’s a loss in the books, but I can only congratulate the team on the effort. Play like that the rest of the way and we’ll glide into a top four seeding quite comfortably.

Now let’s payback the Leafs by putting 8 into their goal!

41. remi_10069 says:

The PK penalty was a total joke, i don’t think he even touched the guy but he is playing badly..seems a little off balance / out of control with his skating. Add that to the crazy rushes and spins he tries against a conservative backdrop and he looks like crap. Get back to basics, learn to skate again and you’ll be fine. Do you think he may be playing like an ass because he feels he got stiffed on the contract? If so, would be pretty stupid.

pipes

• Cal says:

Thinking that PK is “playing his way out of town” seems a little like an overreaction. He had 1 not so good night. So what?
      He’s still young and has a lot to learn.

• remi_10069 says:

He’s had multiple bad nights. I get the feeling that MT really doesn’t like him, personally which is obviously a terrible situation (Tremblay / Roy for example) and one that will result some bad shit going down.

Eller is looking like a champ and Cole appears to have a little of his mojo back. I would have loved to see him in the shootout…putting Gionta in is torture for him and us.

pipes

• Marc10 says:

PK is fine. He had a less than stellar outing, but it had zero impact on the scoreboard. If not for Bishop, we win this thing 4 or 5 nothing. PK is still our best D and will be for years to come. He’s still rounding into form.

The overreaction from our fanbase isn’t news anymore. A guy has an off game and he needs to be traded. It’s just ridiculous. PK is the last guy I’m worried about. He’s one of the pillars of this team and sooner rather than later, with his dedication and hard work, he’ll become a perennial all-star in this league.

• remi_10069 says:

Agree on the game last night. He played badly but no impact. It was all Bishop. Hell if Plek could aim we win 4-1. My worry is that i’ve noticed him for the wrong reasons this year, he seems a little off. Hope you’re right and that it’s just a phase. I do think MT has a serious hate on for him

pipes

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’d prefer not to break up the lines, because the team was pretty dominant, but if we had to, I wouldn’t mind seeing Pacioretty up with Pleks and Gio. Than role Bourque with the second line and Prust on the 4th (although he’s been good).

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

42. Steeltown Hab says:

Blaming PK for that call at the end of the game is just dumb, there was no trip on the play whatsoever.

Did he have his best game? No. But the fact is the same, he’s our best defensemen, being treated as a second class player. When they put out Diaz – Subban on the first PP unit before Markovs goal it was domination, and the best sequence we’ve had in a while.

Check how many pucks PK keeps in the offensive zone that no other Dman can make happen. Instead of trying to always change the guy, he deserves the same respect from the coaching staff that goes to Price, Pacioretty, and even Desharnais lol.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

43. 123456 says:

We all do agree that if Patches took the shot (that Dziurzynski scored on) and Patches scored on Bishop we would all be saying what a great shot he has – right?

That was not a soft or a weak goal – it’s only perceived to be because those rarely get by Price.

• Steeltown Hab says:

It’s a soft goal because Price could see it the whole way, no screen or deflection. Price would tell you it’s a soft goal.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• 123456 says:

Of course he would say that – but how many of those shots will be scored on a goalie in a season…… I say most goalies let in 10 or 12 in a typical year, Price more like 5 or 6. They happen. It was a great shot that Price could have saved but I do not fault him for letting it by.

• HardHabits says:

Really. I think Price begs to differ with your assessment. He said and I quote, “It never should have gone in.”

Fortunately he holds himself to a higher standard than his cheerleaders do.

44. Old Bald Bird says:

I think PK is fighting himself. His natural inclination is to go, but then he tries to rein himself in to keep everyone happy and kind of gets stuck in the middle.

• 123456 says:

One particular play last night reminded me of my Mite (Atom) team practice last night. A player skated to the blue line and stopped 5 feet in front of it because we wanted a pass in the neutral zone, then the other two forwards stopped at the blue line waiting for the puck carrier to go into the zone. It was a case of “I have to make a pass but now I’m stuck and do not have a good option…. what do I do???” Once on the PP I saw OK do this – he was looking pass instead of just gaining the zone and setting up the play.

• Ian Cobb says:

Old Bald Bird– that is exactly what is going on. The kid is now befuddled.

45. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. I see we’ve moved Markov off the “trade the bum” list this morning and added PK. PK had an off night. It happens. He’ll be better tomorrow. My old man had a saying. A point on the road is as good as a win at home.
    12-4-3 not 4-12-3.

———————————–

46. JF says:

Can’t fault the Habs for the way they played last night, despite Price’s soft goal and P.K.’s poor performance. Goaltenders will give up bad goals occasionally, and players will have off-nights. They out-shot and out-chanced the Senators all night and deserved to come away with the two points. I can’t even be too critical of Price in the shootout. He didn’t win, but he’s a lot better than last year.

The Senators are a tough team to play against and they have some very promising young players. I just wonder how long they can keep gutting out low-scoring, one-goal wins without Spezza and Karlsson. I would think that at some point, their injuries will catch up with them.

Habs have now lost three games they should probably have won, all in OT or the shootout. We have yet to win a game we should lose, a game in which we don’t play particularly well, but in which the breaks go our way.

Just saw on TSN that former Hamilton Bulldog Curtis Sanford made 80 saves in a triple OT loss in the KHL last night, that is crazy!!

48. ed says:

Did anyone mention the fact that St Patrick called Subban “the team’s 6th defenceman”? And the late game penalty, something Plekanec has done several times this year, was a total dive by the Senator player, so obvious, that its laughable.

I just want to get the facts out there before all the posters who support Subban being booed in Ottawa, log on, and start rationalizing their dislike for the player.

I like PK a great deal, and this team will be much better off with him as a big part of it. BUt he did struggle last night, I do wonder if the coaching staff might consider juggling the D-line combos. Obviously they aren’t terrible, as last night the result was giving up one goal on a shot Price will want back for a long time.

But just as the forwards get an opportunity to try things with different linemates, I wonder i perhaps PK would be helped by a change of scenery.

• NL_habs_fan says:

I’m in Favor of

PK-Emelin
        Markov – Georges
        Diaz – Boullion

PK-Emelin should be the shut down pair in this rotation.

• HardHabits says:

PK should play with a veteran (and that is what the coaching staff are doing) and that is why he is paired with either Bouillon or Markov. I like our current pairings:

Markov-Emelin
          Gorges-Diaz
          Subban-Bouillon

• The Cat says:

Well like I said a few weeks back, the habs are dicking him around, and just like when a boss dicks around an employee, that employee feels unimportant and thus wont stick his neck out no more. If hes treated like he’s less than Diaz, he will play like he’s less than Diaz.

• ed says:

I agree with that Cat. And the “piling on” when he has a bad game certainly must not sit well with him. I don’t expect him to stay a Hab once he “earns his freedom” by turning 27 or whatever it is.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cat. I do think you may be on to something although I don’t think PK feels unimportant. I think they’ve tried to change his game a bit and he is having some difficulty adjusting to this. It’s just ONE game so I am hoping that they use this as a learning experience to continue to tweek his game.
        I didn’t see a lack of effort from PK last night. I saw some poor decisions. He’ll be OK.

———————————–

• The Cat says:

Good morning, you may be right, but I just dont see that fire in him, like I used to. Its not just last night. That unwavering desire to be a difference-maker seems to have left him…could be just me.

• Cal says:

If you mean he has stopped rushing the puck almost all the time and pretty much stopped making bad passing decisions, I’m all for the new and improved PK.
            Last night, he had an off night. Nobody’s perfect.

• JarryPark says:

PK is a puck carrying defenseman being told to play a team system whereas your first pass out of your zone is a high % pass, typically a short pass. That’s not flashy and that’s PK. He loves when the crowd roars as he carries the puck end to end.

When he loses the puck on thosevrushes, he has to face the coaches and their criticisms.

Just my observation.

• Phil C says:

I think sometimes we forget that PK is only 23, so it really shouldn’t be that surprising that he is going to have an occasional inconsistent game. His play last night reminded me of his play at the beginning of last season in that he was trying to create too much with the puck instead of just chosing the simple, safe play.

I think it is a good thing that the Habs are not forced to play Subban 28 minutes a night like last year. They now have the depth to manage his development.

I don’t think it was dive, the Sens player just fell down. Complete phantom call, although we all have the benefit of a replay.

• Habfan17 says:

To be realistic, I doubt Robinson was aloud to make his end to end rushes when he was starting out. Once Subban adjusts, I would think the coaches will allow him to rush more, it adds another wrinkle for opposing teams to deal with. This is just the evolution of a very good player.

Habfan17

• HardHabits says:

Subban’s biggest problem at the moment is his penchant for high risk low reward plays. Last night on a few occasions he tried the kinds of moves that cost the team games last season. Subban’s hockey IQ dropped as the game wore on last night. He seems closer to being able to single handedly lose a game than being able to single handedly be capable of winning one.

For Subban to be successful he needs to keep it simple where less is more. The booing came from Sens fans. His response was to try and do too much whereas his goal should have been to do the right thing instead. He did save Markov’s posterior a few times with his back checking fortunately. His problem is where he is trying to generate offence. His strength is defending, which BTW is also his job. If he plays his defensive game right his offensive game will follow. If he tries to play an offensive game his defensive one will suffer. As will the team.

• nuwbs says:

The pk fans will defend him to the death and often use his age on their side. I wonder what the excuses would be if he turns out to be a mediocre at his job as a d-man, poor hockey sense guy when he’s 30.

Maybe he was never that great.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“all the posters who support Subban being booed in Ottawa”

Nobody, in other words.

Good Summary Mr. Boone, last night was a game where I felt we didn’t get the loser point but rather earned it.

Not much else to say, except I wish our team was better scoring on shootouts.

50. habs001 says:

The Habs will get beaten in some games because of weak goals or bad d but that is not the weakness of this team…The biggest problem for the Habs will be goal scoring…The goaltending and d have been very good this year but right now only 3 forwards on pace for a 20 plus goals if this was a regular year…timely scoring has really helped but another established scorer is needed

51. Habfan17 says:

The Habs deserved better last night and it is good to see some wins in the face off circle. One stat that needs correcting is Neil’s 8 hits. Most of the hits were late to very late. He was trying to stir things up. He is a decent player and a very good scrapper, but he is one of those players that play more in the gray area of the rules and is pretty dirty. I have seen him lay out players with late blindsiide hits to the head and then he has the nerve to condemn others for doing it. He is a hypocrite, plain and simple.

Subban sure did have an off night, I wonder if he is just confused or frustrated?

Habfan17

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Just one slight amendment to Mr Boone’s typically dead-on recap.

PK did not take a “late-game penalty”. A penalty was fabricated out of the blue and he happened to be the guy closest to the Ottawa player who fell down.

Also to the commentariat if you think Plekanec and Gionta have been poor during this 8 game unbeaten streak you seriously need to consider switching sports.

• dano58 says:

Sorry but it was called a penalty whether we like it or not and we were the beneficiaries of a call the last time we played them that took away a goal so zebras are what they are. I may not like it any better than you but have come to accept it.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.”
      Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

• The Cat says:

Thats a perfect explanation of the ref’s work.

53. The Cat says:

There almost ought to be a law against goalies of a certain size. I mean with the big equipment, it will get ridiculous in the future. A 6’6 300lbs goalie could just get on his knees and never move and easily have a GAA lower than 2.

54. petefleet says:

I don’t think my post will fit with the rest of them here but here goes:
    I thought the whole team, save Gionta and Subban, played excellent last night. It was a great gamer to watch. The out played Ottawa for the entire 65 minutes and in the end the game was decided without team play, which I believe is not the way to end a team game.
    The Habs out shot the Sens by 2-1 margin and allowed only a very few real scoring chances. Carey let one goal in, albeit a bad one, but it was only one. The Habs on any other night would have won that game 4 or 5 to 1. They are #1 in the east and I’m frankly happy for the first time in years with this team.

******************************************
    “Backup goalie getting the shut out is like your mistress babysitting your kids. Did a great job but still feels wrong.”

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

• The Cat says:

I know Im pressing my luck here, but you got to add Price to that list of players who had a bad game. Hes not to blame, you cant find fault with a goalie who lets in just one, but the sens had almost no quality chances last night. And like Roy said on L’Antichambre, if the goalies would have switched teams, it probably wouldve been 5-1 for the habs. So again, hes not to blame but it wasnt a quality outing for him.

• petefleet says:

“Carey let one goal in, albeit a bad one, but it was only one.”

I’m not sure which side you’re on. Price had a bad game but he’s not to blame? Which is it?
        Max Pac said it best: If they’d gotten in tighter to Bishop and made it harder on him to see all those shots, the outcome would have been different.
        At the end of the day, they got a point and are progressing nicely.
        Another note, PK is a good D and will eventually play the game the way Therrien wants him too….or he won’t.

******************************************

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

• The Cat says:

Considering the lack of chances Ottawa had, it wasnt what youd say a quality outing, meaning if thered have been more chances, odds are he wouldnt have held them to one goal. Habs just ran into a hot goalie, but they deserved to win. It happens.

• Cape Breton says:

We would be much better minus the little man who wears the C.
      He reminds me of Gomez from the last two seasons, that is, skate and skate, but not much else out of him.

• Cal says:

And you are watching the Habs, right? Wow. I guess a forward’s only contribution is goals and assists. All the defense doesn’t matter, right? Like the Oilers, right?
        Gimme a break.

• The Cat says:

Its funny how criticism of a player gathers steam on HIO

• Habfan17 says:

I like Gio and what he brings, but I do think the fans here tend to over rate his value, a typical Hab fan characteristic, to over value the players.

He is smart and is very responsible, but in all honesty, as much as he ties up the opposition, too many times he kills time, but loses the puck and gets knocked off it now. He does seem a little different this season, slower, I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it is just the short season and he will get stronger as the season progresses.

Habfan17

55. Cape Breton says:

It’s time for our captain to hang ‘em up.

56. Rad says:

Ottawa is a good team with some excellent young players. Jakob Silfverberg is considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the game. Mika Zibanejad is not far behind, and you saw what their great Dane did to Price in their final shot of the shootout. Carey is still looking for his underwear.

57. The Cat says:

The habs deserved to win. The only thing that can be concluded from the game is that Plekanec is perhaps one of the worst face-off men in the NHL.

58. H.Upmann says:

If the boys want to wake up and take their morning dump with dignity, they had better thrash the Leafs on wednesday

59. matt jordan says:

Those that blame Carey Price are dumb. End of story.

If you’d have played hockey before you would realize that there are things that affect a hockey game, and sometimes the best team does not win. Such as: a hot goalie, bad referees, lucky bounces… live with it.

60. HaBo says:

Wow: I guess the Habs are not allowed to play against any team whose goalie plays great.

Sometimes you play poorly but get the breaks and win.
    Sometimes you play great and completely dominate, like tonight,
    and lose……to a Hot goaltender.

Habs will win on Wednesday.

Lost to a hot goalie – isn’t that a convenient excuse? They lost cause they can’t finish if their lives depended on it. Losers will always find a way to lose. This team has no finish and no killer instinct.

And can we conclude that Michael Therrien’s personal development program for PK is not working?

I concur with those who predict another humiliating loss to leafs on Wednesday. Of course, because another hot goalie, nothing else.

Might as well start Budaj in nets – maybe he can stop an unobstructed 30 footer. (Hey Carey, yo momma would have stopped that)

• chemic says:

according your logic about hot goaltender, why do you even care who starts between the pipes? its always the other team and their performance, habs are just passengers, right?

if MAB gets robbed on a laser from the blueline, ist MAB`s fault……you sayin?

• Cal says:

You must be happy, Timo. The Habs lost. Did you honestly think they would go 48-0 after last season?

• rjcp says:

Yea, I’ll give you the “no finish and killer instinct”, agree 100%. But Price deserves a break, yes the goal was weak, as was he vs Bishop, but he made some good saves especially later when we had some “brain dead” moments from Gorges and Subban and he is part of the reason we are where we are. As for the finish, I think we are over anxious around the net, need some creativity and patience, hopefully MT addresses that, because we would have won tonight with it.

62. AceMagnum says:

Guaranteed loss coming up to Toronto. It’s gonna be brutal and humiliating.

I’m going to Jamaica. I don’t wanna know what happens

63. Hockey Bob says:

So did Les Canadiens leave for Toronto right away just a few mins ago happen to hear a pilot on the air band say he has the Montreal team aboard.

64. sims says:

MT coached a great game…right up until he puts gionta in the shoot out. The captain was ineffective all night. Bourque takes his spot on wed (if I’m coaching)

65. The Dude says:

Sorry Boone,but this was a bad loss to a team missing “3” of the best Hockey players in all of hockey and Alfi is now a old man at 40 so lets say “4” to be fair. And we lost…not good at all,should of been a blow-out by the Habs.
    And as much as I hate typing this I will bet anyone here that we lose badly to the f’n Laff’s…. :twisted:

66. Seps says:

Can you honestly be a Habs fan and not like Price? I didn’t think it were possible

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

After the Pope Therrien thread, I’m surprised the religious theme was not rehashed with the unforgiving Bishop. Way to hang in there Mr. Boone!

68. Propwash says:

They’re not going to win them all, but the team is exceeding pretty much everyones expectations so far. Credit to Ottawa too, for the hand they’ve been dealt with this season, they’re hanging in there bigtime.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

69. club_de_hockey says:

People are actually going to get on Carey’s case for letting in one goal? Gimme a break. Try being a Canucks fan! ;)

70. SynysterDiablo says:

I don’t blame Price, he played a good game, the goal was a little weak but it will happen from time to time. Even St. Patty gave up a weak one here and there.

PK played a horrible game, in my opinion. Way to many turnovers and way to fancy at the blue line when pressured.

Other than that I think the team played good enough for a win but ran into an amazingly hot goaltender.

71. Sportfan says:

Wasn’t the worst loss ever and we got a point so I’m not sad and I hope it won’t be a terrible game against the leafs but we shall see either way GO HABS GO!

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thank God for the new thread. Saw a post about Price on the last thread that if I responded to, I would be permanently modded.

73. gmd says:

Boone, I’m happy that the team holds other teams to fewer than 110 shots in the first period.

74. BrianSkrudland says:

FIRST!

——–
    Wedding Crashers Rule #71: No excuses. Play like a champion!

75. The Cat says:

They were awful on face-offs though. Plekanec cant win important ones I find, he’s alright between the two blue lines but elsewhere he loses way too much. I would be very interested to see faceoff stats of the habs without the neutral zone.

76. petefleet says:

******************************************

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

77. petefleet says:

What you said!!!

******************************************

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

78. Gazza Strip says:

So you were expecting not to lose a game this year? Sometimes you have to tip your hat and say good game. Yes they lost but they played their bags off. I’d rather have this team. The past few years the Habs were the team getting outshot, just hanging on and hoping the goalie would keep us in it and praying for a lucky break and a goal. Ease up my friend, things are good.

79. Habfan17 says:

Pleks may have had a tough night in the circle, but Eller was very strong and props to DD. he also had a solid night, 11 wins, 5 loses as stated in Boone’s About the Game. Eller was 12 wins 5 loses.

Habfan17

80. athanor says:

You could look it up.

It’s easy enough to do. Just go to NHL.com and look at last night’s game stats.

For your benefit today, though, Pleks was 4 for 8 in offensive zone, 3/5 in defensive zone and 2/6 in the neutral zone, just about the opposite of what you opined.

DD was 73% in non-neutral wins, White 40% and Eller 55%.

So Eller was the only one last night who did worse in Offensive and Defensive zones than in Neutral zones, where he was 6/6.

81. Cal says:

The refs were good? Not going to crap on players or coaches?
    Holy Crap, this may be an internet revolution here at HIO!

82. athanor says:

If by good, you mean the refs ignored a dozen easy penalty calls, well then, yeah, they were good. I thought, however, that they were wretched.

83. The Cat says:

I know he hasnt been a hab long enough but Id love to see Prust as captain. Im old fashioned though, I believe the captain should be able to fight and win when needed.

84. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

a certified negative perspective from your perspective

The N.A.G. effect remains the only path to success…
    In PRUST we TRUST

85. punkster says:

12-4-3, first place…no lack of incentive or identity there.

Gio is the “C” and things seem to be percolating just fine like that.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

What difference does it make where he ranks among others? He sucks as far as his performance on this team goes. If he flourishes somewhere else, good for him, but in Mtl he sucks.

87. bleedhabs81 says:

With corrective lenses I see just fine.

I do enjoy the straight copy and paste of my quote. Just in case people didn’t look directly above your reply.

I am not sure why you are so defensive and insulting my vision like that. Panties in a bind this morning. Didn’t take your daily #2? I feel better when I do mine.

Anyway, I still stand by my original post.

88. Cal says:

Shots taken that hit the post have 0% chance of going in the net. That is why they aren’t counted as a shot on net.

89. ed says:

sorry Cal, but can’t a shot hit the inside of the post and find the back of the net?

or hit the cross bar and drop down and go over the line?

90. Chris says:

Bob Gainey (1981-89) – 9th, 14th, 8th, 13th, 18th (injured), 14th, 16th (injured)

Guy Carbonneau (1989-1994) – 4th, 6th, 7th, 17th (61 games), 9th

Isn’t it funny that the last two Montreal Stanley Cups came in years where their captains finished abysmally low in scoring due to injuries? I guess that the point totals of the captains DON’T correlate to team success.

Captains don’t have to be scorers. Montreal has typically chosen its captains either by player vote or by players that are widely respected in the room and by the coaching staff.

Brian Gionta is a good captain. The team is doing well, the players respect him, the coaches respect him and the media respects him.

Other teams slap their captaincy on players that are the “face of the franchise”. Montreal does not need to do this, nor does it have a tradition of doing so.

Yvan Cournoyer was a Hall of Fame winger and captained perhaps the best team in NHL history, the Montreal Canadiens dynasty of the late 1970’s. In those years, he finished 4th, 6th and 7th in team scoring while battling age and injury, which basically felled him in his last season as captain (1978-79). But there was no greater leader on that team. Lafleur was the scoring star, but he was never a leader.